OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

WELCOME to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
HISTORY & GENEALOGY


 


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:  
A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio
Vol. II

by Wm. Rusler - Publ.
1921

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1921 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

 
  JOHN W. RED.  Five miles east of Delphos in Marion Township is situated the highly developed farm of John W. RedMr. Red has been a factor in that community for many years, carries on general farming and stock raising, also operates an extensive orchard, and has found many useful interests to occupy his time and attention.
     He was born in Perry County, Ohio, Oct. 14, 1853, son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Polting) Red.  His father was a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, and his mother of Hocking County, in which county they were married and settled there on a farm.  His father was born in 1830 and died in 1907, and the mother is still living at Logan, Ohio.  Both were very devout members of the United Brethren Church and the father was a democrat in politics.  Of eight children the following are still living:  John W., Alonzo of Columbus, Levi of Perry County, Irena, wife of Mr. Hamilton of Hocking county.
     John W. Red grew up on a farm, having a distinct school education, and has been a resident of Allen County since 1876.  On Dec. 12, 1878, he married Miss Herring, who was born near Allentown in Allen County Dec. 22, 1859, daughter of Penrose Herring.  She grew up on a farm in American Township and had a  common school education.  After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Red lived in American Township for a year and a half and then came to their present farm.  Mr. Red is owner of ninety-five acres, and while he was contended with some adversities in the past he has achieved real prosperity as an Allen County agriculturist.  Ten and a half acres of his farm is devotd to an apple orchard, one of the larger orchards in this section of Ohio, and under his management usually a source of much profit.
     Mr. and Mrs. Red had thirteen children and ten of them are still living.  JEsse, the oldest, married Bessie Ditto and lives in Marion Township; Lydia is the wife of Charles Myers of Marion Township; James is married and lives in Allen County;  Goldie is the wife of Marion Heidlebrauch, of Marion Township; Ray married Florence Rand and lives at Delphos; Penrose is a graduate of Otterbein College, is a minister of the United Brethren Church at East Palestine, and during the World war was a chaplain with the army at Camp Jackson, Georgia; Homer; Ernest was in training as a soldier at Camp Jackson; Bertha is the wife of Dr. Lewis Brunk, of Rockford, a dentist; and Gail H., the youngest, is fourteen years of age.  The family are active members of the United Brethren Church, Mr. Red being a trustee of his local congregation and has also served as superintendent of the Sunday school.  He keeps in touch with progressive agricultural interests, is a member of the Marion Grange, and is a member of the Township School Board.  Politically he votes as a democrat.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 268
  CLEO C. REED.  The possession of a well-equipped farm of 130 acres and large stock interests by no means represents the claim of Cleo C. Reed upon the consideration and appreciation of his fellow townsmen at Spencerville.  He is a genial man, who has been thrown in contact with all classes of people by a diversity of occupations, and as a public servant has contributed materially to the welfare and advancement of his community.
     Mr. Reed was born in Champaign county, Ohio, July 7, 1870, a son of John T. and Eliza (Bodey) Reed, natives of the same county, where they were reared, educated and married.  After their marriage they settled on a farm near Millersburg, John T. Reed also adding to his income by teaching school during the short winter terms.  In 1883 they removed to Auglaize county, Ohio, where they still make their home on a farm four miles south of Spencerville.  They have been industrious people who have accumulated a comfortable share of this world's goods, and who have in so doing held the respect and esteem of their neighbors.  Mr. Reed is a Democrat in his political affiliation, has held the position of township clerk for many years, and he and Mrs. Reed are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Of their six children three are living:  Cleo C.; Walter S., an agriculturist of Auglaize county, Ohio; and Hattie, the wife of William McMillan, of Allen county, Ohio.  The deceased children were: Rachel who was the wife of Peter Leffel; Minnie, who was the wife of Fred Rabley; and George A.  George A. Reed enlisted in the machine gun corps of the Second Division during the World war and rose to the rank of lieutenant.  During the Argonne offensive he was wounded Oct. 4, 1918, and failed to recover, passing away at the age of thirty-five years.
     Cleo C. Reed was five years old when he accompanied his parents to Auglaize county, and there his education was acquired in the public schools.  His boyhood and youth were passed much the same as those of other farmers' sons, and he remained under the parental roof until he reached the age of twenty-three yeas.  On Sept. 30, 1902, he was united in marriage with Ethel May Miller, who was born on a farm in Ethel May Miller, who was born on a farm in Amanda township, Allen county, Ohio, July 18, 1882, a daughter of Orlando and Margaret C. (Marbaugh) Miller.  Following their marriage they rented a farm in Auglaize county, but later purchased their present property in Spencer township, Allen county, a tract of 130 acres, on which Mr. Reed devotes the greater part of his attention to livestock.  He is a shipper whose operations are considered important, and a stockholder in the Farmers Union Elevator.
     Mr. Reed has passed through the chairs of the American Insurance Union and belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, while Mrs. Reed holds membership in the Rebekahs.  They are faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  In politics a Democrat, Mr. Reed is at present serving as chairman of the board of town trustees.  He and Mrs. Reed have two children: Kenneth L., born in 1906; and Merle S., born in 1912.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 70
  JOHN W. REED, for eighteen years associated with his brothers, H. M. and J. F. Reed, in the Reed Brothers Electric Company, 125 East Market Street, Feb. 3, 1921, withdrew from the concern, his interests being taken over by his brothers.  The retirement of Mr. Reed from the firm marks the first change in ownership of the company since the three brothers organized the concern, which is Lima's pioneer in the electrical line.  Only two other electrical companies were in business here when Reed Brothers was established, and these have long since passed from the local field.
     When the Reed brothers arrived in Lima, the electrical business was only slightly past the infant stage.  The electric light company was doing business in a small way back of the Opera House Block, and was wiring houses free of charge to increase business, it is said.  Builders were suspicious of electricity, and H. M. Reed relates one instance where the irate owner of a new home drove him from the place, declaring that he would not have his house wired, as he did not want his residence burned up with those new-fangled electric lights.  Despite the discouraging outcome of the first year's business, the three brothers continued their efforts and built up a thriving trade.
     John W. Reed was born in Crawford County, Ohio, in January, 1875, a son of Westley and Adeline (Walters) Reed.  The Reed family is of Scotch-Irish extraction, and its members of the different professions.  Westley Reed was a railroad man and connected with the Pennsylvania Railroad for many years.  His death occurred in 1898, but his widow survives.
     Mr. Reed attended the public schools until he reached the age of fourteen years, and he later took courses in electrical engineering in the Lippincott and Scranton schools.  In the meanwhile, when only fourteen years old, he began to be self-supporting as light trimmer for the Cantine Light Company at Crestline, Ohio, and remained with that company for four years, rising within two years to e light engineer.  Leaving his first company, Mr. Reed engaged with the Peltow Engineering Company of Cleveland, Ohio, as erection man, and held that position for six months, and then left it to take charge of the underground work for the Cleveland Illuminating Company, which position he occupied with capable efficiency for a year, and then received and accepted a flattering offer from the Alliance Cantine Light Company to construct the entire lighting system of Alliance, Ohio, and engine room, and after he had been working on the job for nine months a sale was made to the Edison Company.  Mr. Reed then went into the electrical business for himself at Cleveland and for two years held and carried out some of the important contracts in his line in that city.  Disposing of his interests at Cleveland.  Mr. Reed then engaged with the American Ship Building Company at Lorain, Ohio, and was engaged in installing electric lights on boats, and his ability received almost instant recognition as he was made boat foreman within two weeks of his entering the employ of this corporation.  Following a connection with it of two and one-half years Mr. Reed went to Bay City, Michigan, as electrical engineer to build five boats and reconstruct the yards there.  After giving this work his constant attention for a year, he came to Lima, Ohio, and in 1894, in partnership with his brothers, Frank and H. M. Reed, he organized the firm of Reed Brothers Electrical Company at the present location.
     In 1902 Mr. Reed was united in marriage with Anna E. Pilgrim of Galion, Ohio, a daughter of Melvin and Tamzon (Miller) Pilgrim.  Mr. and Mrs. Reed have four children, namely:  Rita Adaline, Eugene Pilgrim, Marion Wesley and Nellie Elizabeth.  Mr. Reed belongs to the Elks, the Lima Gun Club, of which he is secretary and treasurer, and he is an adept at trap shooting and big game hunting.
     A democrat, Mr. Reed was elected on his party ticket as a member to the City Council from the Third Ward of Lima in 1919 for a two-year term, and has taken an important part in that body ever since, being now chairman of the city light committee and a member of the bridge and paving committee and four other committees of less importance.  The Methodist Church holds his membership and benefits from his liberal contributions toward its support.  A very carefully trained man of wide experience, he is giving his community the result of his specialized knowledge, and is rightly enumerated among the best men of his community and county.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 179

Silas Reed
Harriet B. Silas
SILAS REED.  The career of Silas Reed, of Shawnee township, is an illustration of the possible control over early limitations and of the wise utilization of ordinary opportunities.  His life has been identified with Allen county for a long period of time, and the substantial fortune which enables him to live in comfortable retirement was acquired through farming.  He was born in Fairfield county, Ohio, Jan. 18, 1840, a son of Samuel and Mary (Aker) Reed, and a grandson of Noah Reed, a native of Ohio.
     The parents of Mr. Reed were born in Fairfield county, where they were reared, educated and married, and in 1853 came to Allen county, where the father bought land in Shawnee township.  During his earlier years he added to his income by working at the trade of cooper, a vocation which he had mastered prior to his marriage, but later in life his entire attention was demanded by his farming interests.  He and his worthy wife passed away in Shawnee township and were laid to rest in the Shawnee Cemetery.  There were ten children in the family:  Silas, Salem, a resident of Shawnee township; Isaac and John, deceased; Freeman of Lima; Nelson, of Cridersville; Emma the wife of Charles Audrew, of Shawnee township; Laura, the wife of Clarence Redmond of Bath township, Allen county; Clara, deceased; and Almeda, who died as the wife of the late Cyrus Nye.
     Silas Reed received a district school education, and at the age of seventeen years began working out by the month on farms owned by members of the Hover family in Allen county.  He was thus employed until he enlisted in April, 1861, in Company A, Twentieth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which contingent he served for three months, his duties consisting of guarding the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad in Virginia.  Discharged in August, 1861, he returned to his home, but in August, 1862, re-enlisted, becoming a member of Company B, Ninety-ninth Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as corporal, and was assigned to the command of General Braag, with which he was under firein Kentucky and Tennessee.  In the spring of 1863 he was promoted second sergeant, and took part in the battle of Perrysville and all the engagements from Stone River to Atlanta.  Subsequently he went to Johnsonville, Tennessee, where the men of his command became scattered, but Mr. Reed took part in the battles of Nashville, Chickamauga and Lookout Mountain.  He received his honorable discharge July 17, 1865, and was mustered out of  the service with a splendid record in August, 1865.  Returning to his home, the gallant soldier purchased a forty-acre farm, all timber except ten acres, and there he lived, engaged in the work of clearing and cultivation, until 1873, when he sold this farm and bought forty acres of partly-cleared land in section 14, Shawnee township.  Here he remodeled the buildings and rebuilt the residence, made other improvements, erected new structures, and in general developed an attractive and valuable property, in the meantime adding to its original acreage by the purchase of an additional twenty.  In 1909 he retired from active pursuits after a long, successful and markedly honorable farming career, and since then has rented his land to tenants.
     Mr. Reed was married Aug. 8, 1865, to Harriet B. Napier, who was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, daughter of William and Sarah (Huff) Napier, of that county, and to this union there have been born the following children:  Florence, who died at the age of four years; Alta M., the wife of S. M. Leedom of Ohio and Michigan; Sarah Adella, who is married to John Gerlitz, of Flint, Michigan; William who died at the age of twenty-two years; Mary, who died at the age of seventeen years; Ethel M., who died when twenty-nine years of age; Leroy, who died in infancy; and Zelpha, the wife of Edwin Pryer of Shawnee township, a builder of oil tanks, and they have four children, Edwin Reed, Harriett Adeleyne, Charles Robert and Mary Adella.  The family belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which Mr. Reed has held various offices and is now acting in the capacity of steward.  He is a Republican in politics, and a valued member of Mart Armstrong Post, G. A. R., of Lima.  Mr. Reed has invested all of his life interests with honest and honorable intentions.  The consciousness that he has treated all men fairly and won their lasting regard is one of the chief compensations of his serene and comfortable retirement.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 98
  WILLIAM C. RHODES.  In every branch of industry the advance of Allen County has been remarkably rapid during recent years, and its progress has been equal probably to that of any other section of the state.  The present prosperity of the county is well represented in its stockmen and agriculturists, and among these may be mentioned William C. Rhodes, the owner and operator of a well-cultivated farming property in Jackson Township, three miles east of Lafayette.
     Mr. Rhodes was born in Montgomery County, Ohio, Feb. 10, 1864, a son of JAcob and Mary (Shaffer) Rhodes, the former a native of Pennsylvania.  Mrs. Rhodes was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, and was a young woman when she came to the United States and settled in Montgomery County, where she met and married Mr. Rhodes.  Following their union they settled on a farm, on which they rounded out well-ordered, honorable and useful lives, winning and the esteem and respect of their neighbors.  They were faithful members of the church in their locality and always supported worthy enterprises of a religious, charitable and educational character.  While Mr. Rhodes was reared educational character.  While Mr. Rhodes was reared in a democratic family, he early advocated the principles of the republican party, which he continued to support throughout life life.  He and his wife were the parents of four children:  Amanda, who is deceased; a child who died in infancy; William C.; and John F.,  a resident of Jackson Township.
     William C. Rhodes received his education in the public schools of Montgomery County and at the age of thirteen years completed his studies and came to Allen County, where he was employed by one man for four years.  During the first year he received $6 per month for six months, the second eyar $7 per month for the same time, the third year $8 per month for half a year, and the fourth year his salary was advanced $1 for the same length of time.  During the remaining six months in each year he worked for his board without pay.  Mr. Roberts then farmed for one year for one-fourth of the crop, and at that time decided to form a home of his own, although he was without means.  In the spring of 1883 he was united in marriage with Miss Millie A. Long, and they faced the future courageously, confident of their own ability to weather any financial storms that might arise.  In 1884 they were assisted by the receipt of Mr. Rhodes' share of the home estate, the sum of $2,100, which he immediately invested in fifty-seven acres of land in Jackson Township, to which, through industrious work and good management he has added until he now has 128 acres, all in a good state of cultivation.  He is engaged in general farming and stock raising, is a stockholder in the Farmers Co-operative Elevators at Lafayette, and is accounted a business man of the highest integrity and straightforward principles.
     Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes have seven children:  Wilbur, who assists his father on the home farm, married Clara Long and their three children are Vernon D., Edna M. and Isabel; Bertha is the wife of Mason Kingler; Charles, also at home, married Alice Meyers; Josephine is the wife of Newton Kingler; May; Elmer, who is married; and Mabel, at home.  Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes are consistent members of the Reformed Church, in which he has been a deacon and elder for eighteen years and a faithful supporter of all church movements, as well as superintendent of the Sunday school for seven years.  Fraternally he is affiliated with Jackson Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in which he has numerous friends.  He has been active and influential in the ranks of the republican party, and has been a member of the County Central Committee for several years.  For four years he served very efficiently as a member of the Jackson Township Board of Trustees.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 286
  REV. GEORGE N. RILEY
While he was one of the pioneers of Allen County, Ohio in the 1830's, there is a still broader historical significance to the name and career of the Rev. George N. Riley, who exemplified all the devotion of a self-sacrificing minister of the gospel in pioneer and frontier communities, and was one of the early Indian missionaries of Ohio.
     He was of Scotch-Irish ancestry, and was born at Medford, Burlington Co. NJ 27 Aug 1792. He was reared and educated in the East and on 19 Nov 1826 he married at Mt. Holly, Burlington, Burlington Co. New Jersey. Miss Meribah Springer Peacock. The Peacock family originated in Scotland. Meribah Springer Peacock whose birthplace was also at Medford, Burlington Co, New Jersey, was born 9 Nov 1805 daughter of Adonijah and Elizabeth Springer Peacock. Her great grandfather John Peacock of New Jersey was a Deputy surveyor of the Colonial government. Her grandfather Adonijah Peacock Sr., owned a powder mill at the time of the Revolution while making gun powder for General George Washington's army an explosion in the mill killed him. On her mothers side she was a direct descendant of the Lady Hendreckson, Companion to Queen Elenora of Sweden. The family kept the title until coming to America in the early days of the colonies that settled with the Swedish settlements of the King of Sweden at Wilmington, Delaware.
     Soon after his entry into the ministry, Rev. George Riley, came to Ohio, and for three years had the difficult task of acting as a missionary at Lebanon to the Wyandotte Indians, where he and his wife lived in the complete simplicity of frontier days. He then went to Upper Sandusky for a year, where he built a mission house for the use of the Indians. In 1835 he moved to Springfield, Ohio, but after a few months came in the fall of 1835 to Allen County, Ohio. In this county he bought from the government what is now the Failor farm. He cleared off the land, developed it to agricultural purposes, and in the community his industrious years were spent until his death in 1882. Through his influence and help Wesley Chapel was built. This was one of the first churches in the county, and he attended regularly to his duties in the pulpit until his death.
     While he fully discharged his responsibilities to his family, he was always keenly interested in the religious and moral life around him, and was one of the truly noble men of the community.
     Mrs. Meribah Riley, who survived him three years, was a woman of rare refinement and charm. Her brave and courageous spirit was a constant source of encouragement to her husband and family in the pioneer days of the county. This noble couple were the parents of nine children, five sons and four daughters.
(See Photograph)
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)
Source: A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - by Wm. Rusler - Publ. 1921 - Page 21
  FORSTER ROBINSON.  For over twenty years Doctor Robinson as a Doctor of Dental Surgery has enjoyed a place of leadership in his profession at Lima.  He is one of the advanced men in dental surgery, and his work, study and experience entitle him to all the prestige attached to the modern science of dentistry.
     Doctor Robinson was born at St. Petersburg, Pennsylvania in 1874, son of James and Sarah (Creech) Robinson.  His father in early days was a proofreader on the New York Tribune, but later went to the oil fields of western Pennsylvania, and for many years was connected with the Standard Oil Company.  He became a tank gauge engineer, originating the system of tank gauge measurement or tank computation.  He was also deeply interested in public education and for a time served as president of the Bradford School Board.  He was born in County derry, Ireland, and came to the United States when a young man.  He died in 1898.  His wife, Sarah Creech, was a member of a New York family of English descent.
     Forster Robinson was the seventh among ten children.  He graduated from the Bradford High School in 1892 and the following year worked in his father's office.  In 1893 he entered Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, but studied for that profession only one year.  In 1895 he began the regular course of the Ohio College of Dental Surgery at Cincinnati, and at graduation in 1897 received honorable mention.  He at once came to Lima, and has been steadily in practice in this city ever since.  A student of the profession, he has neglected no opportunity to keep in touch with the best ideas and the best men in the profession.  He took post-graduate work in the St. Louis University in 1910, and is now specializing in X-ray, Focal Infection and Extracting.  He is a member of the Northwestern Dental Society, the Ohio Dental Society and the National Dental Association.
     Doctor Robinson has always maintained an interested connection with the oil industry, particularly the productive end.  He is a stockholder and investor in a number of oil companies.  Fraternally he is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge at Sisterville, West Virginia, with Lima Lodge of Elks and is a member of the Lima Club and Chamber of Commerce, and a vestryman in the Christ Episcopal Church, having held that post since 1910.  Politically he is a republican.  Doctor Robinson's residence at 429 South Jameson avenue, Lakewood, is one of the better homes of Lima and was built entirely after his own plans.  In 1900 he married Miss Belle Blake, daughter of Isaac E. and Agnes (Maloney) Blake of New York City.  They have two children:  Blake W., born in 1902, and Robert F., born in 1903.
Source:  History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 210
NOTE:  The photo of his residence is as is in the year 2020.
  ALBERT HENRY ROTHE is a native of Allen County, a prosperous young business man owning a high class general store at Blue Lick in Bath township.
     Mr. Rothe was born in Perry township in 1882.  His father came to this country from Freiburg, Germany, was an early settler in Perry township of Allen County, was a tailor by trade, but for many years owned and actively managed his farm of a hundred forty-three acres in Perry township.  He died in 1909 and Albert H. is the youngest of his five children.
     Mr. Rothe lived on the home farm, attended the public schools until seventeen, and thereafter employed his energies at farming until 1912, when he invested a modest capital in a store at Yoder in Allen County.  He was in business there two years, and for four years was employed as an inspector with the Garford Truck Company at Lima.  In June, 1920, Mr. Rothe bought his present business at Blue Lick and maintains a mercantile service that is highly appreciated and generally patronized by all the surrounding section.
     Mr. Rothe married in 1908 Miss Maude Logan, daughter of Willett L. and Loretta (Howbert) Logan of Auglaize township, Allen County.  They have three children, Gerald Wilbur, born in 1909, Inez Mildred and Grace BerniceMr. Rothe votes for the man rather than the party in politics, but was elected on the democratic ticket in 1914 as treasurer of Perry township.  HE is a member of the Disciples Church.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 187
  OSCAR J. ROUSH.  The efficient service of the police department of the City of Lima is to a large measure attributed to  the careful and well directed administration of its executive head, and as chief of the department Mr. Roush is making an admirable record.
     Oscar Jacob Roush was born in Bath Township, this county, in 1885, adn is a son of John K. and Katherine (Hertzog) Roush.  His paternal great-grandfather was born in Germany, and upon coming to America settled in Pennsylvania, where he passed the remainder of his life.  His son Joseph, grandfather of Lima's chief of police, came from the old Keystone State to Allen County, Ohio, where he settled in Bath Township and developed the excellent farm on which he and his wife remained until their deaths.  John K. Roush and his wife still reside on their farm in Bath Township, and he is one of the substantial and honored citizens of the county.  Oscar J. is their only son and the daughter are five in number.
     The invigorating discipline of the home farm compassed the childhood and youth of Oscar J. Roush, and he was associated with the activities of the home farm until he was twenty years of age.  In the meanwhile he had profited fully by the advantages of the district schools.  For one year Mr. Roush was employed as a blacksmith helper at Lima, and for eight years thereafter he was in the employ of the Crystal Ice Company of this city.  He then, in 1914, became one of the patrolmen constituting the police force of the city, and thereafter was for two and one-half years in service as a "plain clothes" policeman, with detective functions.  His heroism and efficient service in connection with the Lima street railway riot of Sept. 17, 1917, led to his appointment, on the 30th of the same month, to the office of chief of police, a merited promotion that was conferred upon him by Mayor Simpson  His service in this important municipal position has fully justified his appointment to the office, and his record has been marked by the successful handling of a large amount of police work of important order, including the capture of two murderers.  His reappointment under three consecutive municipal councils indicates the general appreciation of his efficiency in maintaining law and order and materially reducing crime in Lima.  In 1918 3,116 arrests were made by the police department, and in 1919 the number was only 1,836.  It is worthy of note in this connection that the record for the year 1913 showed twenty-four arrests for burglary and larceny, thirty-three for grand larceny and 151 for petty larceny.  In the following year there were thirty-five arrests for burglary and larceny, forty-three for grand larceny and 158 for petty larceny.  The year 1919 recorded only fifteen arrests for burglary and fifty-six for petty larceny.
     Chief Roush is an appreciative and popular affiliant of the local organizations of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Fraternal Order of Eagles, is a stalwart advocate of the principles of the democratic party and is a commnuicant of St. Paul's Lutheran Church.  His name is still enrolled on  the roster of eligible bachelors in his native cocunty.
Source:  A Standard History of Allen County, Ohio - Vol. II - Publ. Chicago: Warner i.e. Warner, Beers & Co., 1921 - Page 310

NOTES:

 



 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ALLEN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights