A Part of Genealogy Express




General News Court News Death News Marriage News XXXXXXX

Source: Cincinnati Daily Gazette - Ohio
Dated: Jan. 1, 1880
     Mr. Winfield Scott, of Lima, O., in attempting to board a moving train at this palce yesterday, was thrown violently against a trunk standing too near the train, and sustained injuries that may lame him for some time.
(Transcribed from Genealogy Bank by Sharon Wick on 6/7/2009)
Source:  Cincinnati Daily Gazette
Dated: May 22, 1880
The general agents of W. C. Coup and Robert Stockney's "greatest show on earth" are both in town fixing dates for early June, and everybody is superlatively happy.  Stickney will be here June 4.
Source: The Allen County Democrat
September 29, 1881

Court Proceedings Today
George Riley filed a petition praying for an order to vacate the trust held by Samuel J. Riley, as guardian of the property and estate of George Riley which was petition was heard yesterday.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)
Source: The Allen County Democrat
December 1, 1881

George Riley and wife to George N. Riley 90 acres of Land in Sugar Creek Township $600.00.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)
Source: Lima Daily News (Lima Ohio)
October 11, 1911

Habitual drunkness, willful absence, and failure to provide for more than three years last past is the grounds on which Mary K. Alberding, asks for a divorce from Conrad Alberding in the Auglaize county Common Pleas Court. They were married on the 29 of January, 1900 in Allen County and to them one child Pearl Cretors Alberding, was born being now eleven years old. Divorce, alimony, custody of the child, and that the defendant be barred from any interest in the plaintiff's property at Lima are being asked. Hocktries and Stout represent the plaintiff.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)
Source: Lima Daily News ( Lima Ohio)
July 14, 1915

John Bond and Carl Alberding, arrested Monday and assigned to Justice of the peace Pearce Everett's court on a charge of assault preferred by Pat Mooney, changed their pleas of not guilty to guilty when they appeared for trial late yesterday afternoon. Each was fined one dollar and costs. Justice Everett had decided to bind both over to the grand jury whey changed their pleas at the last minute.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)
Source: Plain Dealer - Cleveland, O
Dated May 12, 1923
Husband Only Slightly Bruised in Accident at Perrysburg, O.
PERRYSBURG, O., May 11 - Mrs. Blanch C. McPHERON, 35, Lima O., was instantly killed late this afternoon when the machine in which she was riding with her husband, Ira B. McPHERON, overturned in a ditch on the Dixie highway here.
     McPheron was slightly bruised.

Source: Lima News
June 23, 1927

Funeral services for Millie E. Lanning, 58, of Keil Apts. who died Thrusday afternoon at City Hospital will be held at 2:00 p.m. at the Methodist Church in Rockport.  Interment will be made in the church cemetery.  Ritualistic Services of the home Star Chapel 548 A I C, of which she is a member will be conducted at the home of her son, Clayton Brightman, 124 E. Pearl Street, a 7:30 p.m. Friday evening.  Besides her son, she leaves her father Samuel Lenning of Rockport.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)

Lima News June 30, 1927

Samuel B. Rockhill
Rockport June 30 ; Funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m. for Samuel B. Rockhill, 78,
who died at the home of his brother L. L. Rockhill Wednesday . He was born in Rockport Monroe Township and lived there all his life. He was a farmer. He is survived by his brother Lambert
and many nieces and nephews. Burial in the Rockport Cemetery.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)
Source: The Lima News
Friday Jan. 22, 1931

Rockport - Jan. 22 - Lambert Rockhill, 70, widely known resident of Rockport, died early Thursday morning at his home following the effects of a stroke of paralysis which he suffered Wednesday night.  He had resided in Rockport many years.  He is survived by the widow and three sons Clarence Rockhill of Columbus Grove; and Donald and Louis Rockhill, residing at the family residence.  Services will be held Saturday at the Methodist Church in Rockport.  Burial will be in the Rockport Cemetery.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)

Source: Lima news
Dated: august 28 1938.

Anna E. Stauffer recalls civil war period experiences
     Mrs. Stauffer the mother of eight children, seven of whom still are living, moved to Putnam county in 1869.  She has lived here since and following her husbands death in 1922, she has made her home with a daughter, Susie Stauffer, of near Continental.
     The Living children are John L. Stauffer, Charloe. Paulding county. George A. US Marshal from 1921 to 1930 and state secretary of agriculture during 1916 and 1917; Mrs. Bertha Miller, Flint Mich; Mrs. Clara Weller, Charloe; Wilfred J. Edgerton; Mrs. Emma Craft, McComb, and the daughter with whom she makes her home, A son, Henry S. of Perry township, Putnam co. died in 1933.
     Petite and grey haired Mrs. Stauffer never tires of telling her experience.  He neighbors often have heard the story, but they always want to hear it again because the quick-witted woman always adds a new touch of humor to it. 
     "I was born in Smithburg, Md. just 20 miles from the area where the Battle of Gettysburg was fought, of course" she relates, "we never knew at the time that there was going to be such a battle but thought the South was getting the better of the war".  "My parents were in league with the cause the Union soldiers represented and were terrorized when literally thousands of Confederate troops marched past our home the evening of June 30, 1863. The second year of the war"
     "There was a large yard in front of our home, dotted with huge trees.  The soldiers looked longingly at the shade when there marched by, but could not stop.  They had orders to the contrary"
     "But when the general and his staff came up, they didn't go past.  They stopped and made camp in the yard"  "General Lee immediately issued orders to the villagers that they would have to bake 600 loaves of bread by 9 o'clock the next morning.  That was a pretty large order, but with men and women alike pitching in, we managed to have the work done on time.  I was 13 years old and the time". " But the greatest thrill," Mrs. Stauffer says, "was yet to come.  As frightened as I was, I was told to serve the general and his aids their evening meal.  It was during that meal that I formed the opinion of Lee I cherish still"  
     "I hardly could sleep that night, thinking of what I thought to be danger in the immediate vicinity of the house.  There were enemy soldiers all around the place and the leader of them was peacefully sleeping in our front yard. But by morning my fears had vanished and as I served the great man, my hands no longer trembled.  His personality had completely overcome me.  And after he had finished eating his last meal before going into battle which was to go down in history as being the turning point in the Civil War, he thanked me for my kind help."    "When an order came out to the effect that all livestock, wagons, and other farm equipment would be taken along by the dreaded rebels, my grandfather took a prize black mare into the cellar to hide her.  It was my job to see she didn't nicker and give our plan away, and I must have done a good job, because we had the horse, even after Lee had surrendered." 
"Then my grandfather, whose name was Vogle, was ordered to load his wagon with supplies and start out after the southern army's wagon train.  In some way, which was never explained very clearly, he managed to the by them and ended up in Cumberland, MO, where he stayed until Lee was driven back south."
"Besides the horse, the only things of value we managed to save were two hams which had been hidden in an ash hopper, a can used to collect ashes for making lye and soap.  We ate ham for the next few days."
     "When the Battle of Gettysburg opened the afternoon of the same day, we could hear the cannons even though we were 20 miles away.  This distant rumble continued until the afternoon of July 3 and by evening. retreating Confederate troops were wearily marching past the house on their way to Virginia.  The northern general, Kilpatrick, with a troop of calvary, was in hot pursuit, and managed to overtake the enemy's wagon train in Raven Rock Hollow, not far from where my future husband's home was located. There was a fight before the train was captured and during the heat of the battle, several cannon balls struck Stauffer's home crumbling on end of it.  When the wall was rebuilt, the pieces of the shell were gathered up and cemented in with the brick, they still can be seen."
     Mrs. Stauffer's health is not any too good and she has to stop occasionally for a breathing spell.  She suffered a stroke in 1896 and was given six months to live, but she didn't believe the doctors and pulled through.
     " I had an uncle, John Vogle, who lived in Roanoke, VA, since he lived in the south, he was forced to fight with them, although his sympathies were with the north.  He was with Lee at the Battle of Gettysburg and when the retreat started, he deserted because he wanted to visit his relatives.  He hid away in the mountains for several days, but he, in his grey uniform, was seen by one of the Union scouts.  When it was reported to general headquarters that there was a Confederate spy not far away, her future husband, the late Abraham Stauffer, a sergeant in the Union army, was sent out to find him.  He did, and Uncle John was sent to Baltimore prison.  When grandfather Vogle found out about it, he set out for Washington seeking to gain his son's release." 
     Mrs. Stauffer always smiles when she tells about how her grandfather Vogle had to spend seven days in Secretary of War Stanton's office before he was granted a hearing on his son's case. "Finally, on the seventh day, grandfather said the ugliest man he had ever seen came into Stanton's office, (PRESIDENT LINCOLN), and asked what he wanted.  It was explained that Uncle John was not really a Confederate at heart, but that he had joined their forces because he had to and the "ugliest man in the world" sat down at the desk and wrote a short note. When grandfather read the note, he said that the man's features changed from the ugliest to the prettiest in the world.  He often said afterward that he would have liked to kiss the man for doing what he did.  Uncle John was released and never rejoined the southern army.  He fought the remainder of the war with the north" 
~ Contributed by Deb Lambert saying: "
Anna is my great-great grandmother"
Source: Lima News
Tuesday Sept. 5, 1950

3 dead and 23 Injured in Area Holiday Mishaps. It reports of auto accidents and other area incidents of the Labor day weekend in the Lima area.
Dead are Mrs. Sylvia Joseph 61 Route 2; Mrs. Joseph died at the Memorial Hospital
The accident which claimed the life of Mrs. Joseph occurred at 12:45 p. m. Sunday on Route 25 ( Findlay Road )one mile northeast of Lima at the driveway of the Lima Electric Motor Co. Mrs. Joseph was a passenger in a car driven by her son Merle E. Joseph 36. Route 2. State highway patrolmen report Joseph was traveling east and had started to turn into the driveway of the Lima Electric Motor Co.( Walter Joseph her husband worked there) when his car was struck by an automobile driven by Ronald B. Conway, 18 Route 5, who was traveling west. The impact caused both cars to leave the highway.
     Katheleen Ann Lentz 9 and her sister Linda 6 of 306 E. O' Conner Ave. were passengers in the Joseph car. Kathleen suffered a deep cut on the nose and bruises on the forehead. Linda received a bruise on the left arm.
     Driver of the Joseph car received severe lacerations on the scalp and multiple cuts and bruises on both arms and body. His condition was reported fair. The Lentz sisters were released after treatment at the hospital. Hospital attaches reported Mrs. Joseph received a fractured skull, compound fracture of the left arm, and lacerations on the face, body and legs. She died two hours after being admitted to the hospital. The injured were taken to the hospital in a Davis-Miller and Son ambulance. Mrs. Joseph is survived by her husband Walter H. Joseph ; two sons Charles L. Bluffton, Merle E. at home; two daughters Mrs. Edwin Maag, Columbus Grove, and Mrs. Edwin Lentz 806 E. O'Conner Ave; and 12 grandchildren . Services will be at 2:00p.m. Wednesday at the Chiles and Son Funeral Home with the Rev. Willard Thomas officiating. Burial will be in the Blue Lick Cemetery.
(Submitted by Norita Shepherd Moss)
Source:  The Lima News Allen Co., OH
Friday Nov. 11, 1965


An Allen County man was killed and six other persons injured in a three car crash a mile west of Bucyrus on U. S. 30-N at 8:00 p. m. Wednesday. The victim was identified as Edward Goldsmith 64 of Rt. 6 Cridersville, Rothe Road. he died an hour after the crash in Bucyrus Hospital Death was attributed to multiple fractures and internal injuries. Inured in the crash, were his son Donald Goldsmith 34, of the same address ,his wife Barbara 26, and three children Debra 8, Susan 7, and Jimmy 3.
     Mrs Goldsmith and her son are still in the Bucyrus Hospital listed in "fair" condition today. Both sustained severe lacerations and internal injuries. The father and two daughters were treated and released. Also listed in fair" condition at the hospital was Ronald Schull of Shelby with fractures of both legs, a spine injury, and facial and body cuts, he was identified as the driver of the car that crashed head-on with the Goldsmith auto. Patrolmen said Schull cut left of center to pass an auto in front of him which had slowed to permit a semi-truck to make a right turn. Schull apparently saw the approaching eastbound Goldsmith car and attempted to cut back in, but hitting side of the car he was passing, operated by Mrs. Elsie Manning 62 of Cleveland, and then bounced back left of center hitting the Goldsmith auto.
     A retired Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton machinist, Mr. Goldsmith was born Dec. 29, 1900 in Fulton County, the son of Joseph and Sarah Rockhill Goldsmith. His wife Lillian preceded him in death. Surviving are two sons Donald with whom he made his home, Jack of Harrod; a daughter Mrs. John ( Doris) Venezia Beach City, Ohio; 12 grandchildren; and seven sisters Mrs. Jennie Scott 334 E. High St., Mrs. Mildred Benchoff, Wadsworth, Mrs. Floyd( Margaret) Shepherd 1606 Findlay Road, Miss Cora Goldsmith 123 1/2 E. Spring St., Miss Pauline Goldsmith and Miss Dottie Goldsmith both of 108 1/2 Spring St, and Mrs. Ruth Heil of 1035 Burch. Mr. Goldsmith was a member of Westminster Methodist Church. Services will Saturday at 3:00 p. m. in the church Rev. Paul King officiating. and burial will be in the Salem Cemetery near Westminster. Friends a may call at Lewis Memorial Chapel at Chiles and Sons-Laman after 7 tonight.
(Contributed by Norita Shepherd Moss)


This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights