A Part of Genealogy Express


Ashland County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

WAR OF 1861 - 1865


Source: History of Ashland Co., OH, Publ. 1880
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)

     The Forty-second was organized at Camp Chase, near Columbus, Ohio, in September, October and November, 1861.  Colonel James A. Garfield commanded.  Ashland county furnished two full companies for the three years' service.  The company officers were:



Captain Tully C. Bushnell, resigned October 22, 1862

First Lieutenant J. D. Stubbs, promoted assistant quartermaster and mustered out November 13, 1862.
First Lieutenant William N. Starr, promoted captain October 22, 1862.

Second Lieutenant John R. Helman, promoted first lieutenant June 11, 1862.

James S. Bowlby promoted second lieutenant October 22, 1862, and resigned January 9, 1864.



  First Sergeant James S. Bowlby.
Second Sergeant Reuben D. Kiplinger.
Third Sergeant George McCrea.
Fourth Sergeant William H. Marteen.
Fifth Sergeant Daniel Grosscup.
    At the promotion of James S. Bowlby to second lieutenant all the sergeants were promoted - Frank Otto to fifth sergeant.

First Corporal Benjamin F. Beer.
Second Corporal Jacob D. Hilman.
Third Corporal John R. Shriver.
Fourth Corporal George Lee.
Fifth Corporal Andrew J. Snowbarger.
Sixth Corporal Albert H. Chambers.
Seventh Corporal William B. McBride.
Eighty Corporal William S. Brown



Albright, John
Aller, Earnest
Anderson, James
Ankeny, John
Aten, William L.
Beer, James A.
Border, Israel
Brandt, David W.
Brown, Samuel G.
Bundy, Chas.
Burd, George
Campbell, John E.
Cassel, George
Chamberlain, W. S.
Clarke, Edward
Crial, Royce S.
Darrow, John B.
Deinoss, Marcus
Dibler, Horace
Dinsmore, James R.
Doll, James H.
Drack, Daniel
Drake, Chester
Echer, Abraham C.
Eicker, David
Elson, David B.
Ely, John F.
Emery, Zachariah
Emmons, Adam
Fike, Daniel
Fike, Josiah
Fisher, John
Foll, George
Fooney, Henry J.
Freidline, Jacob
Fullington, Lewis
Hamilton, Alpheus A.
Heiser, Edmund I.
Helman, Jacob
Hettinger, Henry F.
Hines, Jesse
Howard, Oren I.
Hull, James
Johnson, Jeremiah
Kalt, Jacob
Kiplinger, Levi
Kopp, Samuel
Kramer, John P. R.
Lowerie, William J.
Martin, Benjamin F.
Martin, Charles G.
Maurer, Adam
Maxhammer, William
McConnell, James C.
Mish, Jeremiah
Mish, William
Munsdorf, David
Musser, John C.
Nelson, Benjamin F.
Over, Eli L.
Over, Jacob W.
Palmer, Joseph
Park, Tyler D.
Parsons, Herbert
Patterson, Robert
Patterson, Thomas H. B.
Plank, Aaron
Pollock, John
Pollock, Robert
Pomroy, George
Randall, Milton
Rote, John
Rote, Lewis
Rote, Peter
Rudd, William B.
Sadler, John
Shafer, John
Shockey, Isaac
Shriver, Milton
Simmons, Harry
Smalley, Abel D.
Smalley, John M.
Smilie, Robert
Smith, Edmund P.
Smith, Russel
Snobarger, Jacob
Sowers, John
Sutor, Rudolph
Swartz, Joseph
Switzer, John B.
Switzer, Samuel
Thompson, Robert
Tranger, Paul
Utz, Andrew
Vanderhoff, Dennis
White, Abel D.
Wiles, John B.
Wise, John
The Mortality List is as follows:
Albright, John died in hospital
Aller, Earnest killed May 16, 1864
Beer, James A. died in hospital
Border, Israel died in hospital
Darrow, John B. died in hospital
Doll, James died in hospital
Ecker, Abraham C. died in hospital
Eicker, David died in hospital
Emmons, Adam died in hospital
Fike, Daniel died in hospital
Foll, George died in hospital
Friedline, Jacob died in hospital
Fullington, Lewis died in hospital
Lowerie, William J. died in hospital
Munsdorf, David killed Dec. 29, 1862
Plank, Aaron died in hospital
Rote, Peter died in hospital
Shockley, Isaac died in hospital
Shriver, Milton died in hospital
Smalley, Abel D. killed May 1, 1863
Smalley, John M. died in hospital
Smith, Russel died in hospital, in Sullivan
Suter, Rudolph died in hospital
Switzer, Samuel died in hospital


     This company rendezvoused at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, Nov. 27, 1861, and was mustered into the United States service for three years.  The following are the commissioned and non-commissioned officers and privates of said company, as enrolled:


  Captain Seth M. Barber, resigned June 11, 1862, and transferred to Veteran Reserve corps. Mar. 6, 1864.
  Captain John R. Helman, transferred from company C, and promoted captain, June 3, 1864.
  First Lieutenant William S. Spencer, resigned Jun. 5, 1862
  First Lieutenant Peter Miller, transferred to company H, and promoted first lieutenant, Jan. 22, 1864.
  First Lieutenant Charles B. Howk, promoted first lieutenant, Nov. 26, 1862; resigned Oct. 23, 1863.
  Second Lieutenant Edwin C. Leach, resigned Jun. 5, 1862.
  Second Lieutenant John F. Robinson, assigned to company H Nov. 25, 1862, and transferred and promoted major Third infantry, June 6, 1863.
  Second Lieutenant Charles B. Howk, promoted first lieutenant.


First Sergeant John F. Robinson
Second Sergeant Charles B. Howk
Third Sergeant George B. Masters
Fourth Sergeant LeGrand Brown
Fifth Sergeant Joseph D. Moody

First Corporal George Mitchelson
Second Corporal William H. Mason
Third Corporal Thomas B. White
Fourth Corporal John Griffith
Fifth Corporal H. J. Bowman
Sixth Corporal Henry O. Biggs
Seventh Corporal Charles Wickham
Eighth Corporal Alvin I. Stanley

Drummer A. G. Case
Fifer W. A. Smith

Wagoner Arthur Leach.



Barrick, Jacob
Barrick, Solomon
Beggs, Elisha
Buchan, Wm. J.
Buckley, John
Buffrime, David
Burge, Henry
Burns, Andrew J.
Burton, Henry
Buzzard, Jacob
Byers, Frederick
Cellers, Robert M.
Chambers, William
Chapman, James L.
Cllugston, Byron D.
Crawford, James F.
Crozier, Charles
Darrow, James A.
Davidson, John
Davidson, William
Dell, Christian
Evans, Elmore
Fasig, William B.
Fast, Luther M.
Ford, Franklin A.
Full, George
Garver, David
Griffith, Jacob
Hayes, Austin
Hendryx, Nelson S.
Hines, Jacob
Humphrey, James O.
Innis, Adam
Kiplinger, Daivd
Long, D. E.
Long, Frederick
Maxhammer, William
McComb, Andrew
Newcomer, Jacob
Onstott, David
Peters, George
Raker, Hiram
Reed, George M.
Riggs, George
Robinson, William
Royer, Peter
Ryall, George W.
Sampsell, Joseph B. F., Jr.
Schroll, David
Schumaker, John D.
Sloan, William
Smith, James B.
Spencer, Joseph
Spiker, Tobias
Starkweather, Elisha
Swineford, William
Taylor, George
Taylor, Lewis
Vanostrand, George
Wall, Reuben
Warren, John
Wells, John
Westenbarger, Eli
Wooehouse, Richard P.
Youngblood, Philip


The following is the mortality list as derived from the company rolls:
Crawford, James died in hospital
Dell, Christian in hospital
Griffith, Jacob in hospital
Hines, Jacob in hospital
Innis, Adam in hospital
Long, David E. at home
McComb, Andrew at home
Ryall, George N. of wounds received in battle
Spiker, Tobias at home
Starkweather, Elisha in hospital
Towslee, Charles D. in hospital
Vanostrand, George at home

     This company was mustered out at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, December 2, 1864.
     In an engagement near Memphis, Tennessee, Captain Seth M. Barber had the misfortune to be wounded in the foot, which subsequently required amputation, and was the occasion of his resignation, and subsequent assignment to the Veteran Reserve corps.


     General Garfield appointed Peter B. Johnson, of Ashland, then over sixty years of age, train master.  He served three years in Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, and was honorably discharged.
     In December, 1861, the Forth-second was ordered to Kentucky.  In January, 1862, it arrived near Paintville, and on the eighth marched under Lieutenant Colonel Sheldon to the fortified position of General Humphrey Marshall, and found the works evacuated and provision carried away or destroyed.  Colonel Garfield followed Marshall, and on the ninth the battle of Middle Creek took place, and Marshall again retreated and burned his stores.  The Forty-second returned and passed up the Big Sandy and took possession of Pound Gap.  The campaign was disastrous to the volunteers of the Forty-second, eighty-five of whom died through exposure and disease.  In March the Forty-second was ordered to Louisville, where it was attached to the brigade of General George W. Morgan, and moved by rail to Lexington, and from thence marched to Cumberland Ford, with only three hundred and fourteen men fit for duty.  In June it marched to the rear of Cumberland Gap, amid continued skirmishing.  On the fifth of August, the Forty-second engaged and held back the advance of General Kirby SmithGeneral Morgan, after consultation, finally evacuated the Gap and fell back to, and crossed, the Ohio river at Greensburgh.  The retreat was very rapid, and the men suffered severely for the want of clothing, proper food and rest.  In the month of November, Morgan's brigade passed down to Memphis, Tennessee.
     In December, the Forty-second was ordered to the Yazoo, and led the advance against Vicksburgh.  For three days the regiment held its position in line, when the army was compelled to retire.  In January, 1863, the forces proceeded to White River, and thence to Arkansas Post, and captured Fort Hindman with seven thousand prisoners, all the guns, small arms and stores.  The Forty-second then returned to the rear of Vicksburgh.  In the engagements which followed, the regiment sustained heavy loss.  After the surrender of Vicksburgh the Forth-second marched to Jackson, and participated in its capture, and then entered the Department of the Gulf.  It remained at Thebodeaux during the winter of 1864, and in the spring went on an expedition to Clinton, Louisiana, where it participated in a severe engagement.  It was also in several other small expeditions, and returned to Camp Chase where it was mustered out September 30, 1864.  The forty-second was engaged in eleven battles, in which it lost one officer and twenty men killed, and eighteen officers and three hundred and twenty-five men wounded.  Its tattered banners show hard service.


CLICK HERE to Return to

CLICK HERE to Return to

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights