This regiment was organized at Knoxville, Tennessee, in January, February and March, 1864. It contained two companies commanded by officers from the veterans of 1861-64, who had been promoted in other batteries for meritorious services. There were:
The foregoing companies were employed for a long time constructing and extending the fortifications about Knoxville, besides being detailed on guard duty. In January, and February, 1865, these companies went on an extensive forage expedition to East Tennessee. Guerillas were often met on the route, but fell back. In March, 1865, companies G. and H were ordered to the department of the Cumberland, and served as infantry under General Stoneman. After the surrender of General Lee, the regiment was ordered to Chattanooga upon garrison duty, where it was mustered out in March, 1866.