.


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Athens County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source:
History
of
Athens County, Ohio
And Incidentally of the Ohio Land Company
and the First Settlement of the State at Marietta
with personal and biographical sketches of the early
settlers, narratives of pioneer adventures, etc.
By Charles M. Walker
"Forsam et hc olim meminisse juvabit." - Virgil.
Publ. Cincinnati:
Robert Clarke & Co.
1869.

CHAPTER XIV.

Lee Township

     LEE  township, originally a part of Alexander, was separately organized in November, 1819.  Among the earliest settlers here were Capt. John Martin, a revolutionary soldier, Philip Smith, Henry Cassel, Ziba McVey, Daniel Knowlton, George Canny, John Holdren, William Brown, William Graham, Jacob Lentner, James McGonnegal, Francis Thomas, Samuel Luckey, Hiram Howlett, and John Doughty.
     The population of the township in 120 was 342; in 1830 it was 418; in 1840 it was 848; in 1850 it was 961; in 1860 it was 1,301.  The inhabitants of Lee are principally engaged in agriculture, and her farmers rank among the best.  Latterly they have given especial attention to the growing of fine stock.
     The center of population in the township is Albany, a neat village and handsomely located.  No community in the county has attended more earnestly to the cause of education than the citizens of Albany, and they have excellent local schools.  The "Atwood institute," originally founded, and for a few years conducted, as a "manual labor school," is now controlled by the Free-will Baptists, and, under the management of the Rev. Mr. Chase, is proving a successful and useful school.  It has at present three teachers - two male and one female - and about eighty scholars.  All the branches usually taught in academies of this class are taught here.  The colored people have a good school in Albany, conducted by capable teachers, and attended by young colored persons of both sexes from distant parts of the state.   They have a handsome school building, conspicuously located, which has been built mainly by the contributions of colored people, and the good management and complete success, thus far, of their enterprise, and highly creditable.  The "district school," divided into an upper and lower department - the former superintended by Mr. J. C. Woodyard, and the latter by Miss Mary L. Kerr - is also a well-managed and useful school.  And, finally, there is a good public school for colored children.
     Albany also possesses an excellent public library, called the "Wells library."  It was founded by Mr. Henry Wells, who, dying in 1860, bequeathed one thousand dollars for that purpose as a perpetual fund, the interest to be expended in books, and the further sum of two hundred and fifty dollars for an immediate purchase.  The money was securely invested in 1861, by Mr. E. H. Moore, of Athens, whom Mr. Wells made his trustee for this purpose, and about seven hundred dollars worth of books have already been purchased by Mr. Leonard Brown, the purchasing committee.  For some time the library was kept in a room gratuitously furnished by the Free Masons of Albany, but in March, 1868, Mrs. MAry Weethee, mother of the founder of the library, bequeathed a frame building to be used as a library room, provided the town should keep it in repair and pay the taxes.  The library, consisting now of about four hundred volumes, is a settled and very creditable institution.  By the rules of the library any family, living within the corporation, may, for one dollar a year, draw out two volumes at a time for not more than four weeks, and the library is open two hours every Thursday for members.  An interesting instance is thus afforded, of the great and perpetual good that may be accomplished by a very small sum well directed.  Possibly the excellent example will incite others to similar action, and so its usefulness be indefinitely multiplied.  Mr. Wells was a grandson of Hiram Howlett, one of the early settlers of Lee.
     The village of Albany is located on sections two and three, and was laid out into lots by William Graham, in 1832 and 1833.  The first house in the village was built by Lucius R. Beckley, on the ground now owned by Atkins & Stanly, and known as the old Brown store.  In 1840 John Brown purchased this property and commenced selling goods here.  Albany has a population of about six hundred, with the usual complement of business men and mechanics.  The Free Masons and Sons of Temperance have each a hall in the village.  No liquor is sold within the corporation.
     The town was incorporated in 1844.  At the first election for town officers John V. Brown was chosen mayor, and J. M. Gorsline recorder.  For a number of years afterward there was no election, but since 1855 they have been held regularly.

Town Officers of Albany since 1855.

1855 - Mayor, Albert Vorhes; Recorder, Henry Wells; Treasurer, John Vorhes; Councilmen, John Brown, J. M. Gorsline, Wm. Smith, Peter Morse, and David Sampson.
1856 - Mayor, Albert Vorhes; Recorder, John Brown; Treasurer, John Vorhes; Councilmen, Wm. R. Collins, Peter Morse, W. W. Kurtz, J. M. Gorsline, and P. McCann.
1857 - Mayor, A. Palmer; Recorder, J. E. Rutledge; Treasurer, John Vorhes; Councilmen, H. L. Graham, David Sampson, John Dewing, Wm. C. Lindley, and John Slaughter.
1858 - Mayor, Almus Lindley; Recorder, J. E. Rutledge; Treasurer, H. L. Graham; Councilmen, John Dewing, Wm. C. Lindley, C. D. Lindley, A. Vorhes, and Chancler Rossetter.
1859 - Mayor, W. B. Dicksen; Recorder, J. E. Rutledge; Treasurer, H. L. Graham; Councilmen, W. C. Lindley, John Slaughter, S. M. Preshaw, J. Q. Mitchell, and Almus Lindley.
1860 - Mayor, S. M. Preshaw; Recorder, W. A. Rigg; Treasurer, H. L. Graham; Councilmen, Almus Lindley, John Q. Mitchell, John Brown, John Slaughter, and Albert Vorhes.
1861 - Mayor, John Brown; Recorder, Thomas D. McGrath; Treasurer, Albert Vorhes; Councilmen, A. D. Jaynes, John Vorhes, C. L. Wilson, Wm. C. Lindley, and Geroge Rice.
1862 - Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, A. Palmer; Treasurer, A. D. Jaynes; Councilmen, John Brown, John Dewing, Almus Lindley, John Vorhes, and Leonard Brown.
1863 - Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, A. Palmer; Treasurer, A. D. Jaynes; Councilmen, John Vorhes, John Q. Mitchell, John Dewing, W. W. Kurtz, and T. D. Garvin.
1864 - Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, Ira Graham; Treasurer, T. D. McGrath; Councilmen, Leonard Brown, John Vorhes, T. D. Garvin, John Dewing, and A. D. Jaynes.
1865 - Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, Ira Graham; Treasurer, T. D. McGrath; Councilmen, Leonard Brown, A. Palmer, John Dewing, and A. D. Jaynes.
1866 - Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, Daniel N. Brown; Treasurer, John Brown; Councilmen, John Dewing, A. Vorhes, Wm. C. Lindley, Isaac Stanly, Jun., and A. Palmer.
1867 - Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, Daniel N. Brown; Treasurer, James D. Brown; Councilmen, Wm. C. Lindley, Isaac Stanley, Jun., A. Vorhes, Leonard Brown, and James McClure.
1868 - Mayor, James M. Gorsline; Recorder, Albert Lawson; Treasurer, James D. Brown; Councilmen, Wm. C. Lindley, James McClure, Leonard Brown, A. Vorhes, and W. W. Blake.

Township Trustees.

1820 Jacob Lentner, James McGonnegal, Ephraim Martin
1821 Francis Thomas, " Elisha Chapman
1822 Ephraim Martin, " Daniel Rowell
1823 Joseph Wallace, Francis Thomas, William Brown
1824-27 Ephraim Martin, " James McGonnegal.
1828 Samuel Martin, George Reeves, McCowen Bean.
1831 Wm. Graham, Wm. Thompson, "
1832 Joseph Martin, " John Havener
1833-35 Wm. Graham, James McGonnegal, Joseph Martin.
1836 Joseph Post, Wm. Thompson, Nimrod Dailey,
1837-40 Wm. Graham, Michael Canney, "
1841-42 John T. Winn, Joseph Post, Jacob Lentner
1843-44 Wm. Graham, Wm. Henderson, "
1845-46 F. E. Clark, A. G. Henderson James Greathouse.
1847 " Travis Wilson, "
1848 " John Brown, George Holdren
1849 Andrew Means John Dewing, "
1850 F. E. Clark, D. M. Ross, A. W. Brown.
1851 " Leonard Brown, D. M. Ross,
1852 James Holmes B. Goodrich, John T. Winn
1853-54 " A. Enlow, "
1855 " Samuel Shuster, "
1856 " Jacob McVey "
1857 " James Clements "
1858 " " Benjamin Rickey
1859 " " A. W. Brown
1860 " W. W. Kurtz, "
1861 " A. Wilson "
1862-63 " A. Jennings, "
1864 " A. Wilson "
1865 " Wm. C. Lindley, Robert Dickson
1866-67 Lemuel Cline. Jacob McVey "
1868 Albert Vorhes " "

Justices of the Peace.

1820 - Isaac Baker
1822 - Abner C. Martin
1823 - Isaac Baker
1824 - Joseph Wallace
1825 - McCowen Bean, Michael Canney, James McGee.
1828 - Jacob Lentner.
1831 - McCowen Bean and Abner C. Martin
1832 - Jacob Lentner
1834 - Abner C. Martin
1835 - Jacob Lentner
1837 - Abner C. Martin
1838 - John Dickson
1839 - Lucius Beckley
1840 - Abraham Enlow
1841 - A. Warner
1842 - John T. Winn
1843 - George Means and Francis E. Clark
1844 - Edmund Morse
1845 - A. G. Henderson and Peter Morse
1846 - Francis E. Clark
1847 - George Holdren
1849 - D. M. Ross and Francis E. Clark
1850 - Joseph Post
1852 - James Clements and Francis E. Clark
1853 - Joseph Post
1854 - George Johnson
1855 - James Clements, John Brown and Jacob McVey
1856 - Harvey L. Graham
1858 - James Clements and Jacob McVey
1859 - Harvey L. Graham
1860 - Peter Morse
1861 - E. R. Cooper
1862 - James M. Gorsline
1864 - E. R. Cooper
1865 - James M. Gorsline
1867 - John Q. Mitchell and Isaac Friedlein
1868 - Abraham Enlow.

Personal and Biographical.
(FOR BIOGRAPHIES, CLICK HERE)
John Holdren
 

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS - HISTORY OF ATHENS CO., OHIO 1869 >
 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ATHENS COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
STATE OF OHIO
INDEX PAGE

GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY R
ESEARCH is My MISSION
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights