.


OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Athens County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source:
History
of
Athens County, Ohio
And Incidentally of the Ohio Land Company
and the First Settlement of the State at Marietta
with personal and biographical sketches of the early
settlers, narratives of pioneer adventures, etc.
By Charles M. Walker
"Forsam et hc olim meminisse juvabit." - Virgil.
Publ. Cincinnati:
Robert Clarke & Co.
1869.

CHAPTER XVII.

Trimble Township

     TRIMBLE township was originally a part of Ames, from which it was stricken off and separately organized in April, 1827.  It lies at the extreme northern limit of the county, on the waters of Sunday creek, the main branch of which runs, somewhat centrally, from north to south, through the township.  It was named after Governor Allen Trimble, one of the early governors of Ohio.
     The first settlement made in this township was by Solomon Tuttle, Sen., in 1802.  He, with his son, Cyrus Tuttle, and his brother, Nial Tuttle, all from Vermont, settled on the main creek. Soon after them came Joseph McDaniel and William Morrow.  Mr. Bagley, with several sons, came from Vermont and settled in 1820, on the west fork of the creek, below what is now called Hartleyville.  One of his sons, William Bagley, being a clothier by trade, established a pioneer factory for dressing cloth and, in connection with it, a flour mill, the flour being bolted by hand.  This was the first mill in the township, and has been kept up, with various improvements, ever since. It is now owned by Mr. Perry ZimmermanSamuel Bagley, a tanner by trade, established the first tan yard in the township, about the year 1820.
     In 1822 a school was taught by Nancy Bagley, a native of Vermont, near the forks of the creek.  About 1824 a few families established a school of eight or ten scholars, which was taught by John Morrow, in a log school house without any floor.  His compensation was one dollar and fifty cents a week.  The school house was located on the creek between Solomon Tuttle's and James Dew's.  Among the few scholars in this pioneer school was Mr. E. H. Moore, now president of hte First National bank in Athens, who also taught a district school in the same place in 1832.
     The Baptists, Methodists, and Christians, were the first religious societies formed in the township, and continue to be the leading organizations.
     William Bagley's mill on the west fork of Sunday creek was, as before stated, the first in the township.  In 1825 Jonathan Watkins built a mill at the village first known as Oxford, but since called Trimble.  It was at first only a saw mill, but after two or three years, a grist mill was connected with it.  This mill continued to be the principal one in the township till 1865, when it was destroyed by fire.
     The people of this township are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and the lands are being rapidly improved.  Considerable attention is given to stock growing and to the culture of tobacco.  Coal of excellent quality, both bituminous and cannel, exists here in large deposits, which, as soon as it becomes accessible by branch railroads, now projected, will command the attention of capitalists.  Iron ore of good quality is also found in various parts of the township, and near to large deposits of good limestone.  Salt water of great strength, and thought by competent judges to be equal to any in the Hockhocking valley, has recently been found in abundance in a well bored for oil by Mr. R. J. Arnold.  This well is on the Zanesville road near the northern line of the county.  It is a little over one thousand feet in depth.  About twenty-five years ago the Eggleston salt works on Green's run, near the south line of the township, were operated successfully.  At that time this was esteemed a valuable well, but for many years past it has not been used.
     The center of population in the township is the village of Trimble, situated on section 8.  It has a post office, two stores, three physicians, the requisite number of mechanics, and a population of about two hundred.
     The population of the township in 1830 was 190; in 1840 it was 762; in 1850 it was 924; in 1860 it was 1,112.
     At the first election for township officers in 1827, which was held at the house of William Bagley, James Price, James Bosworth, and Jeremiah Cass were judges of the election, and Samuel B. Johnson and Cyrus Tuttle, clerk.

Township Trustees.

1827 William Bagley, James Bosworth, Solomon Newton.
1828 Jeremiah Cass, Elijah Alderman, "
1829 Joseph McDonald James Price, "
1830 David Eggleston, " "
1831 Jonathan Watkins, " "
1832 Wanting.    
1833 Elijah Alderman, Thomas Dew, John Ivers.
1834 " Luther Mingus, Enoch Rutter
1835 Wanting.    
1836 Solomon Newton, Andrew McKee, William Shaner.
1837 Jonathan Watkins, " "
1838 Solomon Newton, " Ebenezer Shaner
1839 William McKee, " John Ivers.
1840 Thos. L. Love, Andrew Rutter, Wanting
1841 James Hage, W. J. Hartley, "
1842 " John B. Johnson, "
1843 " Isaac N. Joseph, William J. Hartley.
1844 William McClellan, " "
1845 Andrew McKee, Caleb Carter, Isaac Blackwood.
1846 Wanting.    
1847 William McClellan, Andrwe Dew, J. D. Davis.
1848 Andrew McKee, " "
1849-50 William McClellan, " "
1851 " William H. Peugh, S. T. Grow.
1852 Wanting.    
1853 James Hage, John Ivers, Wanting.
1854 Andrew Dew, " William McClellan.
1855 Wanting.    
1856 Joseph Allen, B. Worrell, Andrew Dew.
1857 Benjamin Norris, J. M. Johnson, "
1858-59 William H. Peugh, William McClellan, S. P. Grow.
1860-61 " " L. H. Rinehart.
1862 " " Samuel Woodworth.
1863 Samuel Banks, John Shaner, "
1864 " John Gift, Dorsey McClellan.
1865-66 Milton Monroe, " J. C. Lefever.
1867 William H. Peugh, Isaac Blackwood, Lemuel Bethel.
1868 Samuel Banks, J. M. Amos, Joseph Allen.

Successive Justices of the Peace.

1827 - William Bagley
1830 - James Price and Jeremiah Cass.
1833 - Daniel Frazer and Samuel Mills.
1834 - Emory Newton.
1836 - Seth Pratt and Samuel Mills.
1838 - Solomon Newton.
1839 - Samuel Mills.
1840 - David Allen.
1841 - John Ivers.
1842 - Morris Bryson.
1844 - John Ivers.
1845 - Morris Bryson.
1847 - Isaac N. Joseph.
1848 - George W. Roberts.
1850 - Aquilla Norris and Benjamin Norris
1851 - Benjamin Norris and George W. Roberts.
1853 - Alexander McClellan.
1854 - William Biddison.
1856 - Isaac N. Joseph
1857 - John M. Johnson (resigned February 3, 1858).
1858 - Morris Bryson.
1859 - William H. Peugh.
1861 - Morris Bryson.
1862 - L. Bethel.
1864 - William Biddison
1865 - William Koons
1867 - J. S. Dew.
1868 - Samuel Banks.

Personal and Biographical.
(FOR BIOGRAPHIES, CLICK HERE)

Jonathan Watkins, Sen.
Samuel Clark
settled here about 1820
James Bosworth
Enos Barnes
Solomon Newton
James and Thomas Dew
James Price
John B. Johnson

 

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS - HISTORY OF ATHENS CO., OHIO 1869 >
 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
ATHENS COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
STATE OF OHIO
INDEX PAGE

GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY R
ESEARCH is My MISSION
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights