A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
History & Genealogy


from their First Settlements
by Joshua Antrim.

NOTE:  If you want something transcribed, please let me know... SW

very hard to read)
....... HULL'S TRACE
....... PHENOMENAL -
....... ANDREW HELLMAN alias ADAM HORN, his life, character and crimes
....... A REVIEW OF ADAM HORN'S CONFESSION, showing its Falsehoods, Omissions and Prevarications.



     Champaign County was formed from Green and Franklin March 1, 1805, and originally comprised the Counties of Clark and Logan.  The Seat of Justice was originally fixed at Springfield, in Clark County, and the first Courts were held in the house of George FITHIAN.  It is said it was named from its appearance, it being a level, open country.  Urgana, the Seat of Justice, was laid out in the year 1805, by Col Wm. WARD, formerly of Greenbrier County, Virginia.  It is said by some that Mr. WARD named the town from the word Urbanity, but I think it was quite likely he named it from an old Roman custom of dividing their people into different classes - one class, the Plebeians, and this again divided into two classes - Plebs Rustica and Plebs Urbana.  The Plebs Rustica lived in the rural districts and were farmers, while the Plebs Urbana lived in villages and were mechanics and artisans.
     George FITHIAN opened the first tavern in a log cabin on South Main street, formerly the residence of Wm. THOMAS; but I think it is now owned by the Methodist Episcopal Church, and they intend to improve it and make a parsonage of it.
     Samuel McCLOUD opened a Dry Goods and Grocery Store in the same cabin in the same year, (March, 1806).
     The first house covered with shingles was a house occupied by McDONALD as a store room, on the north corner of Public Square, west of North Main street.
     For a full and satisfactory description of Urbana and its surroundings, see Judge PATRICK's able, minute, and satisfactory history, found in the body of his work, in which he has placed me under many obligations, and also done himself credit, and the city of Urbana, of which he writes.
     I find in Howe's History of Ohio the names of a few of the first settlers in Urbana and also in the rural districts, and although most of the names found in his history will be found in the body of his work, for fear some valuable names may be overlooked I here transcribe them.  But let the reader be assured that most of those honored and venerated names will appear in these pages.
     But before I proceed to record those names I wish to make a remark or two in regard to the first settlers of this county.  In vain have I made inquiry of the oldest living pioneers as to the first white man that settled here.  Likewise the public records have been searched with the same unsatisfactory results.  IT may seem to a matter of very little consequence who first settled a country, but we find people in all ages disposed to attach very great importance to so apparently trifling a circumstance.  The Carthginians have their Dido, the Greeks their Cecrops, and the Romans their Romulus; so in our own country William PENN settled Pennsylvania; BOONE, Kentucky, &c.; and in the most of the counties of this State the first settlers are known, and the date of their settlement.  I find in a very able and interesting document, furnished me for this work by an old and respected pioneer, Mr. ARROWSMITH, the name of Wm. OWENS, who, he says, came to this county in the year 1797 or 1798.  I think it not unlikely that he was the first white man that made this county his home.
     I now commence the list of names: Joseph C. VANCE, Thos. and Ed. W. PEARCE, George FITHIAN, Sam'l. McCORD, Zeph. LUSE, Benj. DOOLITTLE, George and Andrew WARD, Wm. H. FYFFE, Wm. and John GLENN, Frederick AMBROSE, John REYNOLDS and Sam'l. GIBBS.  Those living in the country - Jacob MINTURN, Henry and Jacob ANDERSON, Abner BARRET, Thomas Pearce, Benj. and Wm. CHENEY, Matthew and Charles STUART, Parker SULLIVAN, John LOGAN, John THOMAS, John RUNYON, John LAFFERTY, John OWENS, John TAYLOR, John GUTTRIDGE, John CARTMELL, John DAWSON, John PENCE, Jonathan LONG, Bennet TABER, Nathan FITCH, Robert NOWEE, Jacob PENCE and ARTHUR THOMAS.
     Joseph C. VANCE
was the father of Ex-Governor VANCE, and was the first Clerk of the Court in this County.  Capt. Arthur THOMAS, whose name is in the above list, lived on King's Creek, about three miles North of Urbana.  HE was ordered to Fort Findlay with his Company, to guard the public stores at that place, and on their return they encamped at the Big Spring near an old Indian town called Solomon's Town, about seven miles north of Bellefontaine.
     Their horses having strayed away in the night, he and his son went in pursuit of them.  When they had got some distance from the encampment they were discovered by the Indians, who attacked them with an overpowering force and they were killed and scalped and left dead on the spot.
     Urbana was a frontier town during the war 1812.  HULL's army was quartered here the same year, before taking up their line of march for Detroit.  In fact, it was a place of general rendezvous for the troops starting for the defense of our northern frontier.  They were encamped in the eastern part of the city, and here lie the bodies of many brave soldiers mingled with their mothers dust,  and no monument to mark the place where they rest, nor to tell the story of their sufferings; even their names have perished with them.  All we can do now is to drop a tear over their sleeping dust and say, "Here lie in peaceful slumbers the brave defenders of our once frontier homes."
     In penning these sketches, I find myself very much in the condition of the early pioneer who had to blaze his way through a dense forest to find his way from one place to another.  Fortunately for me, however, others have preceded me and blazed the way to some extent for me.  And to none, perhaps, am I under more obligations than to Mr. HOWE, in his History of Ohio; and he is not entirely reliable, for I have been obliged to make some corrections in his statements of facts in the history of this country.  For instance, the time of settlement of Logan County, putting it in the year 8106, when in fact it was settled in the year 1801.  Also, the names of the first settlers.  Of course he had to rely on others for information, and they did not know; but in the main, however, I believe he is correct.
     I now resume my sketch of Urbana:  On the corner of Public Square and North Main street - now McDONALD's Corner, but in the war of 1812 called Doolittle's Tavern - were the headquarters of Governor MEIGS.  On the opposite corner - now ARMSTRONG's Bank - stood a two story brick house, and on the end fronting the Square, could be seen the date of its erection - 1811.  This was occupied for many years by D. & T. M. GWYNNE as a stoore-room.  All the old settlers of Champaign now living, will call to mind the once familiar face of Robert MURDOCK, was with his obliging and gentlemanly manners, who was then a partner in the firm.
     The above described building was the place where the commissary's office was kept during the war of 1812, and is the one to which Richard M. Johnson was brought wounded after his personal and deadly conflict with the renowned Tecumseh at the battle of the Thames.
     Urbana was visited by a dreadful tornado on the 22d of March, 1830.  Passing from the South-west to the North-east, it leveled the Presbyterian Church with the ground, and unroofed the M. E. Church, throwing it down to within a few feet of its foundation.  Both of these buildings were substantial brick edifices; also, a great many private residences were either unroofed or wholly demolished, killing three children and crippling others.  For a more satisfactory account, see Judge Patrick's history of Urbana in this work.
     I can not leave Urbana without giving a short account of the old Court House, built in 1817.  I have never seen a description of this then imposing structure.  It stood in the center of the Public Square, now called, I believe, Monument Square, fronting North and South, built of brick, two stories high, the roof having four sides, coming to a point in the center, surmounted by a cupola and spire on which was a globe and a fish that turned with the wind.  The main entrance was on the South.  This, for the time in which it was built, was an elegant and commodious public building.
     How many pleasant and interesting memories cluster around this, to the old pioneer, almost hallowed spot!  Here, too, or near this spot, many a soldier breathed his last and bade adieu to all earthly conflicts.  And the soldier mounted on the pedestal on the spot where the old Court House stood, surveying with down-cast eyes and in solemn and impressive silence the battlefields of Gettysburg and Shiloh, may drop a tear over the graves of those heroes that freely shed their blood in the defense of our country in the war of 1812.



     On the southeast corner of fractional lot No. 1.  Benjamin DOOLITTLE occupied a two-story log house, with a back building attached to west rear for dining room and kitchen, as a tavern stand, and being the same lot now owned and occupied by McDONALDS and others.
     Joseph HEDGES occupied a small frame with shed roof, called the knife-box, little west of northeast corner of fractional lot No. 4, as a store room of HEDGES & NEVILLE,with small family residence in the west end, and being the same lot now owned and occupied by GLENNS and others.
     John REYNOLDS owned and occupied a neat white two-story building on northeast corner of in lot No. 48, fronting east on the Public Square, and used in part as a store room; the balance being his family residence.  The store room being on the corner was also by him used as the Post-office, he being the first Postmaster of the place.  The very same spot is now used for the Post-office in the WEAVER house.  This whole lot is now owned by Henry WEAVER, and as already intimated, is the site of the WEAVER House.
     Widow FITCH, the mother of Mrs. BLANCHARD, owned and occupied in lot No. 1, opposite the WEAVER House, and had a small log building on it, which was occupied as a family residence, to which she added in front facing east on the Public Square, a respectable two story hewed log house, using the same soon after as a tavern stand for several years.  This site is now known as the DONALDSON corner, &c.
     Mr. DAVIDSON occupied a small frame, fronting the Square on lot No. 151 on part of the site of L. WEAVER's block.


     From the Public Square, southAlexander DOKE owned and occupied in-lot No. 104, and had on it a little south of the present tavern stand of Samuel TAYLOR, a double cabin residence of his family, and being a blacksmith, he had on the same lot of a smith shop.  This lot embraces all the ground south of S. W. HITT's store to the corner on market space, and owned now by several individuals.  All this ground during the war of 1812, was used as a artificer yard.
     W. H. TYFFE owned the south half of in lot No. 55, &c., and occupied the southeast corner of it, as his family residence; it being the same building now on said corner, having since been weather-boarded, and is now owned by his descendants.
     George FITHIAN, the grandfather of Milton FITHIAN, owned and occupied as a tavern stand, the same building now standing on in lot No. 63; it has undergone but little improvement in outside appearance, excepting the weatherboarding of the log part of it.  This same tavern was afterward owned and occupied by John ENOCH, the father of John ENOCH, Jr., and is now owned by the Second M. E. Church as a proposed future site for a Church edifice.
     George Hite,  on the next abutting lot on west side of South Man St., being No. 71, erected a two-story log house for his family, and being a wheel-wright, had a shop near it.  The present residence of Mr. BENNETT occupies the site of the old dwelling.
     Job GARD, the father of Gershom GARD, owned in-lot No. 87, the corner of South Main and Reynolds streets, and lived in a hewed log house near the present residence of Col. CANDY.  This lot is now owned by the New Jerusalem Church and others.
     Alexander McComsy, father of Matthias McCOMSY, owned and had a cabin for his family on south-east corner of South Main and Reynolds streets, on out-lot No. 18, now vacant and owned by William ROSS.
and John GLENN owned in-lots No. 124, 125, 126 and 127, on which they had sunk a tan-yard, with a rough log shop for finishing; this is now what is called the lower tannery, in the present occupancy of SMITH, BRYAN & Co.  William GLENN then owned and had a cabin-residence on lots No. 134 and 135, now owned by John CLARK, George COLLINS, and others.


from Public Square, northJohn SHYACH owned in-lot No. 163, upon which his family lived in a respectable two-story, hewed log house, near the drug store of FISLER & CHANCE.  (Years afterward was burned.)  This property embraces the row of business buildings now occupied from the corner of North Main and East Court streets, to J. H. PATRICK's hardward store.
     Samuel McCORD had nearly opposite to last mentioned place, his family residence on lot No. 173, being a story and half hewed log house, which was many years after burned down.
     N. CARPENTER lived in a small one-story log cabin on the corner of in-lot No. 32, near the present residence of John SMITH, corner of North Main and West Church streets.
     John FRIZZLE, occupied a large double two-story log cabin as a tavern-stand, fronting east on North Main street, on in-lot No. 40, near present residence of O. T. CUNDIFF.


from Public Square, east.  Joseph VANCE owned lot No. 155, and was erecting in the fall of 1811, the present two-story frame and part of the back building in which his son, Judge VANCE, now dwells, as owner of the premise described.
     Frederic GUMP occupied a small one-story cabin on east half of in-lot No. 160, near the present site of the Episcopal Church.
     David VANCE owned lot No. 97, and had on it a small story and half hewed log house, occupied by Solomon VAIL, and being the same house, with some additions, now owned and occupied by Joseph S. KIGER.


     From Public Square, west.  David PARKISON owned and occupied a two-story log house, and had a smith shop near it, both fronting the street on in-lot No. 2, now opposite the WEAVER House, near the livery-stable and FISHER's rooms.
     Zephaniah LUCE owned in-lot No. 50, and occupied it by his family in a double log house, standing on the ground now occupied by Doctor MOSGROVE's large brick residence.  Mr. LUCE was also the owner of in-lots No. 51, 52, 53 and 54, and on the two first sunk a tan-yard, and had finishing-shop on same, which he used during the war of 1812, as Issuing Commissary Office, he holding that post.
     Lawrence NILES (hatter) occupied a hewed log house on east part of in-lot No. 3, being the same property now owned and occupied by Wm. SAMPSON, having been repaired in such a manner as to present a neat two-story house.  His family, like many new settlers, after living here a few years, became dissatisfied, and without waiting to dispose of their property moved west, seeking new adventures, and were never heard of afterward.  It was supposed they were either all drowned, or murdered by the savages.


East from South Main.  James FITHIAN occupied a two-story hewed log house, with an addition of a one-story on west side of it, (the latter being used in the war of 1812, as a Quartermaster's office) on in-lot No. 105, being the present premises of Mrs. Dr. Stansberry; the log buildings above described were moved east on to lot No. 109, property of estate of Samuel McCORD, and very recently torn down.
     Simon KENTON, as Jailor of Champaign County, occupied one family room below and the rooms above in the old Jail building, on lot No. 107, as his family residence.  Here two of his daughters, Sarah, afterward Mrs. Jno. McCORD, and Matilda, afterward Mrs. Jno. G. PARKISON, were married.  This lot is now owned by two of the LAWSONS.
     Frederick AMBROSE
, by trade a potter, afterward Sheriff and County Treasurer, owned and occupied in-lot No. 111, and lived in a cabin on southeast corner, with a shop near it; this lot is now owned by Havery STUMP.
     Wilson THOMAS
, colored, right south on the opposite side of the street on in-lot No. 121, owned and occupied a small cabin, near the present residence of Mrs. Jacob FISHER.
     ______ TONEY
, a colored man, whose full name I have forgotten, but who was somewhat distinguished in the war of 1812, according to his own statements, occupied an old cabin in the NOrtheast corner of E. B. PATRICK's in-lot No. 112, fronting East Market Street.
     Peter CARTER, colored, husband of old Fannie, owned in-lot No.113, and had a cabin in the rear, which stood on the ground now occupied by the present African M. E. Church building.


West from South Main.  Edward W. PIERCE, a very highly educated lawyer, without family had a hewed log office near the present residence of Mrs. E. P. TYFFE, on in-lot No. 61.  He possessed sterling talents, but from some cause had much mental affliction, and in the winter of 1816, was found dead in the woods between here and Springfield, much torn by wolves as then supposed.  Persons of that day who professed to know the fact, said that in his very early life he had the misfortune to exchange shots in a duel, and killed his adversary, which was the secret of his mental malady.  This I give as a matter of information only.


From South Main East.  Daniel HELMICK owned in-lots No. 136 and 137; on the latter he had a double cabin as the residence of his family, and on the corner of the former in front of the Second M. E. Church, his hewed log cabinet shop; he afterward built the brick house now owned by J. C. JONES.
     Nathaniel PICKARD
, owned and occupied lots No. 142 and 143, and erected for his family residence a hewed log cabin, standing immediately West of Moses B. CORWIN's present brick residence.


West from South Main.  William WARD, Sr., the old proprietor of the town, then lived in a double log cabin standing near the present residence of Mr. SMITH, southeast corner of West Water and High Streets, on a block of lots, No.'s 83, 84, 85, 86, 91, 92, 93, 94 and now the property of Messrs. SMITH, DONALDSON and others.


East from South Main Street.  Joseph C. VANCE owned and occupied in-lots No.'s 152 and 153, and erected on the premises a two story log office, he being the first Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas, and Surveyor, &c.


West from South Main Street.  Isaac ROBINSON, a brick mason, occupied a cabin on one of out-lots on south side of the street, but I am now unable to locate it.
     John GILMORE, a brick mason, occupied a cabin on out lot No. 8, now enclosed in the private park grounds of Col. John H. JONES, in which his superb family mansion is situated.


West from North Main Street.  Capt. Wm. POWELL occupied a small frame tenement on West side of in-lot No. 14, being the present premises of Duncan McDONALD.
     ______ STOUT
occupied a small roughly built frame, which stood near the present residence of Miss Nancy JENNINGS on in-lot No. 22.


East from North Main Street.  Samuel TREWETT the grandfather of Nathan REECE occupied in-lot No. 194, and lived in a hewed log one story cabin near the present residence of Robert BELL.  He was a local M. E. preacher.


West from North Main Street.  John Huston a rough carpenter, built a story and a half hewed log cabin and occupied it on in-lot No. 26, being the present premises of William SCORAH.
     Daniel HARR
the father of Newton HARR, was here with his then small family, and as I have no other building in my eye for a family residence, I am inclined to the opinion that he occupied a small cabin on in-lot No. 27, the present premises of W. H. COLWELL; if he did so occupy, it was only temporarily, for I remember soon after, he improved the north half of in-lots No. 55, 56 and erected the two story frame now owned by W. L. STUDYBAKER on South Main Street and occupied the upper part and rear buildings as his family residence, and front as a store room of Harrand RHODES - the latter being the father of Nelson RHODES, Esq.
     Henry BACON
if memory serves me, owned and occupied a small frame building on the ground now owned by Mr. OSBORN, on in-lots No. 38, 39; he afterward erected the brick building known as the insurance Office on in-lot No. 8, and occupied it as a dwelling.
     Here are thrown hastily together a pen sketch of the population in Urbana in 1811, comprising 45 families, describing from memory the kind of tenements with their localities as nearly as possible; there may be some errors but it is believed they are few.  One sad reflection presents its self now; all these have gone the way of all the earth.  There may possibly be an exception, but the writer of this is not aware of any.
     It may be proper here to point out the public buildings of the town.  The jail has already been noticed.  The Court-house was a large log building on lot No. 174 on East Court Street, which has undergone a change, and is now the property of Duncan McDONALD, and is used as a family residence.  During the war of 1812-15, it was converted into an army hospital, and in it many deaths occurred from a prevalent epidemic malady of that day denominated "cold plague," and the bones of the victims now rest in the old town grave-yard.  And may God in his merciful Providence avert that unhallowed cupidity, that is now instigating municipal desecration upon their silent abode.  This building having been appropriated to the use above indicated, the upper part of the jail was fitted up for the purpose of holding the courts, and was so used until the new court house in the public square was finished, in about the end of the year in 1817,and this latter temple of justice remained as county court house, until the clamorous raids of the populace culminated in the erection of our present one, standing on in-lots No. 16 and 17, about the year 1839.
     In the earlier settlement of the town, the practice in the winter seasons, was to convert the larger class residences, for the time being into Bethels for public worship, and in the warm summer months, to congregate near the present Public Square, under the shade of the spreading branches of the large oak trees then in that vicinity.  And as soon as the Court House first alluded to was finished, it became a place of public worship, and the same will apply to all its successors.  But, I started out with the intention of informing the public that when I first came to Urbana, a large hewed log M. E. Church had recently been erected on in-lot No. 207, and under the itinerant made of that denomination, was regularly supplied by many sterling pioneer preachers, during the years up to about 1816, when the brick church now part of the GANSON livery establishment was erected.  The pulpit in the old log house was supplied something in this order during the years indicated, by Rev. John MEEK, ____ CLINGMAN, Samuel BROCKANIER, John COLLINS, and perhaps some others.  About 1816 as already stated, the brick edifice situated on east half of in-lot No. 176, was duly dedicated and supplied in the manner named above, by the higher order of talent in the persons of Rev. David SHAFER, Henry B. BASCOM, _____ CRUME, _____ CUMMINGS, John STRANGE, _____ WESTLAKE, &c.  It may also be remarked that they were fortunate in the years here embraced, say up to 1825, in having a first-class order of local ministrations, and the interests of the Church were fully sustained under Rev. Samuel HITT and otehrs like him, who were ornaments to their profession, and she added to her number daily such as gave evidence that they had passed from death unto life.  Many incidents might he recorded of the thrilling scenes connected with the spiritual labors of that old church, before it put on its new dress, in the exchange of the old houses of worship for its present new temple, situated on north half of in-lots No. 24 and 25.  This denomination has always been in the lead in this locality, owing perhaps to the indomitable zeal manifested by both ministry and laity, in the propagation of their popular tenets.
     The only other religious interest in this town for the first thirty years after its first settlement, was Presbyterianism, but its growth was greatly behind that of the Church described.  It however was the instrument in disseminating much wholesome religious instruction, and exerted an influence for good, upon the morals of the community.  It had to encounter difficulties, and inconveniences for want of a house of worship;  the Court House was substituted, and not till about 1829 had it any house of its own for the congregation, and before it was finished, the tornado of 1830 entirely demolished it, and another was erected on a new site on lot No. 18, on the same site of the present imposing structure, this being the third within less than thirty years. --------- and so on.....



     I will at this point break the thread of those scattered _____ sketches and return to the subject of the early population of the place.  The forty-five families that have been _______ braced within their numbers many young persons of both sexes and frequent intermarriages occurred.  And _____ the years between 1811 and 1820.  I will ____ few in this _____ I can from memory.

     George Hunter intermarried with Ruth Fitch. _____ Mrs. Blanchard
     James Robinson
intermarried with Miss S______ _____ ______ Alex Doke.
     As__ Sweet
with Miss ______
     Allen M. Poff?. afterward _______________ _______ Fithian, daughter of George Fithian.
     John Gl__n
with a Miss ______ of Kentucky
     William N___ with Miss Swing, ___ sister of Mrs. _____
     Amos J. Yarnall with Miss Swing, sister of _______.
     Hugh Gibbs with Elizabeth Fitch daughter of Nathan Fitch and sister of Mrs. Blanchard.
     Peter R. Colwell
with Lavina _____. Sister to above.
     John Goddard with Mary ____ father and mother of Doctor Goddard.
     David Vance, S___&c.
with Miss Wilson.
     James Paxton
with Miss Luce, sister of Col. D. Luce.
     George Moore with a Miss Luce, sister to above.
     Samuel Miller with Elizabeth Dunlap, daughter of Rev. James Dunlap.  Mrs. Miller survives.
     Col. William Ward, Jr. with Miss Hughs, daughter of Rev. James Hughes.  Mrs. Ward survives
     William Chatfield with Elizabeth Hull, niece of Mrs. Goddard.
     Doctor William Fithian
, now of Illinois, with a Miss Spain, and after her deceased, with Miss Berry, daughter of Judge Berry.
     John A. Ward
with Eleanor McBeth, daughter of Judge McBeth, one of our first Representatives in the State Legislature.
     Benjamin Holden with Lucinda Pennington.
     Mathias McComsey
with Phebe Logan.
     Joseph S. Carter
with Miss Fisher, daughter of Madox Fisher, of Springfield.
     John Downey with Miss Parkison.
     John McCord
with Sarah Kenton in 1811, and John G. Parkison with M___ Kenton, both daughters of General Simon Kenton.
     John Hamilton
, _________ 1811, and soon after intermarried with Miss Atchison, sister of Mr. _. H. Patrick.
     ____ Eva_ Banes,
with Miss Ward, daughter of Col. William Ward, Senior.
___ _ ___ with __________
     G_____ _____
with a Miss McGill, daughter of James McGill. 
     J___ _y__s
with Miss ______
     Col. Douglas Luce?
with Miss Taylor, daughter of Alexander Taylor.
     David ____ with Miss T_____
     John M____dex?
with Miss ____-g____
     William _____
with _____ Ki________
     _______ _____
with ________ _____ _____ name of Calvin _____ __ who came here a __________  without any means.  __________ as best _____ by perseverance in study ___ ____ himself for the ____ ______ Miss Hill, sister of Col. ______ and _____.  ____ ___ ___ _ ____ sufficient to take himself and wife ____ ____ _____ _____ where he
NOTE:  The rest is too hard to read.
     It may ____ stated that ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ list of early pioneers, very large number of enterprising young men came to Urbana and located themselves as merchants, mechanics &c.  I will name a few, Hezekial WELLS, Thomas WELLS, and William McDONALD (who is well known, and came here at an early day, connected himself in a mercantile interest, and became afterwards a public man, he representing this county in the Legislature in after years.)  William NEIL, late of Columbus, commenced business here as a merchant, in a small frame near the stove store of John HELMICK.  He was likewise the Cashier of the old Urbana Bank.  J. BIRDWISTLE, about the beginning of the War of 1812, opened a hotel in the corner building lately torn down by Kauffman and Nelson on corner of fractional lot No. 2, and will here note that Joseph LOW, father of Albert and others, continued the same business after BIRDWHISTLE, in the same house; John and Uriah Tabor manufactured hats on the hill west of the square on West Main Street, near the present residence of E. KIMBER.  _____ PRICE had a shoe shop, location not now recollected.  Henry WEAVER, a previous old settler of Mad River township, came to Urbana with his small family about 1813, built the small room now standing on the east end of Mr. GANMER's present residence on lot No. 160 Scioto Street and occupied it as his family residence, in which he also had a shoe-bench and worked at shoe-making connecting with it a stall for the sale of apples.  This was the beginning to the vast amount of wealth which he has acquired and is now enjoying in the eighty-fourth year of his life.  George BELL, who came here at an early day erected a small nail cutting establishment on lot No. 160, North Main Street, near the present location of P. R. BENNETT's jewelry shop.  Francis DUBOIS opened a kind of tavern stand in a double log house on the corner of in-lot No. 24 near the First M. E. Church building.  The GWYNNES located within the years indicated in these sketches, and opened what was then a large dry goods store in a red one-story frame building on lot No. 154, being the lot now occupied and owned by Mr. L. WEAVER; William DOWNS was also one of the early settlers here, and carried on blacksmithing.  John HURD was one of the oldest settlers, and learned the trade of blacksmithing with Alex. DOKE, and carried on the business afterward to some considerable extent.  John WALLACE and Elisha C. BERRY came here at a very early day as carpenters, and when REYNOLDS and WARD had determined to establish a factory, they were employed to erect the large building now occupied by Mr. FOX, and in the process of its erection Mr. WALLACE met with an accident that came near proving fatal; he was employed about the hip in the roof on the south side, when the scaffolding gave way and precipitated him to the ground, making a cripple of him ever after.  Mr. WALLACE being very worthy man with considerable culture, was elected Sheriff, and held other important public trusts up to the time of his emigration west, years afterward.
     About the end, and at the conclusion of the war, many accessions were made to the population from New Jersey, Kentucky and other places, but as there are some other subjects before that time that need attention, I will have to bring this to a point, by remarking that this historical dotting of business men and business places might be greatly extended in locating tailor, shoemaker, cabinet, wheelwright, carpenter, chair, saddler, potter and other mechanical shops; adding to the list other mercantile interests not already noticed.


SIMON KENTON, whose name will appear frequently in these pages, was an early settler in Urbana.  I quote from Judge Burnet's letters as found in Howe's History.  In his letters he says that when the troops were stationed at Urbana, a mutinous plan was formed by aprt of them to attack and destroy a settlement of friendly Indians, who had removed with their families within the settlement under assurance of protection.  Kenton remonstrated against the measure as being not only mutinous but treacherous and cowardly.  He contrasted his knowledge and experience of the Indian character with their ignorance of it.  He vindicated them against the charge of treachery which was alleged against them as a justification of the act which they were about to perpetrate, and reminded them of the infamy they would incur by destroying a defenseless band of men, women and children, who had placed themselves in their power relying on a solemn promise of protection.  He appealed to their humanity, their honor and their duty as soldiers.  Having exhausted all the means of persuasion in his power, and finding them resolved to execute their purpose, he took a rifle and declared with great firmness that he would accompany them and declared with great firmness that he would accompany them to the Indian encampment and shoot down the first man that dared to molest them; that if they entered their camp they should do it by passing over his corpse.  Knowing that the old veteran would redeem his pledge they abandoned their purpose and the poor Indians were saved.  Though he was brave as Caesar the reckless of danger when it was his duty to expose his person, yet he was mild, even tempered and had a heart that could bleed at the distress of others.
     General Keaton lived many years in Logan county, on what was called the old Sandusky road, about four miles north of Zanesfield on his farm,  where he died April 29th, 1836, aged 81 years and 26 days.  His remains were removed to Urbana by the deputation of citizens from that place I think in 1865, and buried in the cemetery about three-quarters of a mile east of the city in a lot of ground appropriated by the city for that purpose containing about seventy-five or one hundred feet in a circular form with a view of erecting a monument at some future day.  The only thing that now marks his grave is the same plain stone slab that stood at the head of his grave in Logan county, with his inscription:  "In memory of Gen. Simon Kenton, who was born April 3d, 1755, in Culpepper County, Va., and died April 29th, 1836, aged 81 years and 26 days."
     His fellow citizens of the west will long remember him as the skillful pioneer of early times, the brave soldier and honest man.


    In connecting Urbana with the incidents of the war of 1812, some mention should be made of one of her citizens who came, as has been elsewhere intimated, at a very early day, raised a large family and at one time seemed very prosperous in his affairs, but reverses came, and John Hamilton died in 1868, dependent upon his children for the necessary comforts at the close his life.
     The writer of this, knowing the facts that Mr. Hamilton, when a young man, had volunteered in the service of his country in the war of 1812, taken a very active part, and been prisoner among the Indians for one year, thought in view of is dependent condition, that the Government, upon proper showing would make special provision for him, and he waited upon Mr. Hamilton a short time before his death, and proposed to prepare a narrative of his service and wild adventures, coupled with a memorial of the old citizens who knew him, asking Congress to grant him a special pension for life.  He being then in his seventy-sixth year and being a very modest man rather declined at first, but upon weighting the matter consented.  It was drawn up, and through Hon. Wm. Lawrence, was introduced in the beginning of the year 1868, and a bill to make such provision passed its second reading in the House, but before it could be finally acted on his death occurred.
     Since I commenced these sketches, by accident I have found a rough draft of all his statements, which were verified at the time by him, and that will enable me to do him a (word illegible) justice and perpetuate facts that would soon have passed out of knowledge.  I shall not attempt to publish his whole narrative of the events, but will merely condense in as small a compass as possible to substance.
     He begins by telling that his father about 1793, emigrated to Kentucky from Maryland before he was a year old, that he continued with his father until about 1811, having in the meantime learned the saddlers trade, and went to Winchester, and worked as a journeyman with one Robert Griffin until the breaking out of the war of 1812.  The enthusiasm that animated the young men of that day reached young Hamilton and under the call of Governor Scott, he volunteered and attached himself to Capt. Brasfield’s Company which was attached to the regiment commanded by Col. Lewis, of Jessamine county, which moved on to Georgetown the latter part of June, thence to Newport where they were equipped and ordered to Fort Wayne via Dayton, Piqua, and St. Mary’s.  From Fort Wayne they were ordered westward in the direction of Tippecanoe, to drive away and destroy the supplies and burn the village of a hostile tribe, which was accomplished, and they returned to the place of their last departure.
     From Fort Wayne, Colonel Lewis’ Regiment was ordered by General Winchester to march to Defiance and start rations about November 1; thence down the (illegible 2 words) Camp. No. 1, 2, and 3.  Here they had __  ___ a__ ___ ___ ___ for about three weeks.  He ___ __ ___ __ ____ this place while on a scout, Logan being in company with Captain Johnny  and Comstock, was shot through the body some seventy___ miles from camp, and rode in behind the latter and died soon after his arrival in camp, a little p__ was furnished, but that they were still on short rations.  Great afflictions were here endured from fevers and other diseases incident to camp life, and many died.  On the 25th of December 1812, they left this encampment, and it commenced snowing, continuing all day, and fell two feet deep.  They reached a point on the banks of the river, and pitched their tents with much difficulty in the deep snow, and enjoyed themselves that night in all the sweats of soldier life.  The next day they marched in body to the head of the Rapids, and encamped and remained there a few days.  General Winchester ordered Colonel Lewis to detach about six hundred of his regiment, and move them immediately to the river Raisin, to dislodge the British and Indian forces there encamped, and on the 18th of January, 1813, Colonel Lewis commenced the assault and drove them from their quarters into the woods, both belligerents suffering great loss in the skirmish.  Colonel Lewis returned and occupied the enemy’s position within pickets enclosing a Catholic Church sufficiently large to contain his forces, when he immediately sent a courier to General Winchester reporting the victory, which induced the General to order another detachment of three hundred to support Col. Lewis, of which Mr. Hamilton was one, and these were commanded by the General himself, who arrived and encamped outside of the pickets.
     On the morning of the 22d of January, 1813, the British forces with their Indian allies, were discovered in line of battle; the long roll was sounded, and the American lines were formed, the battle commenced, and was fought with desperation, the enemy having the vantage ground; at this juncture Major Graves ordered the second detachment to retreat, and it retreated into the woods, when Col. Lewis rode up and requested it to make a stand, that perhaps the force of the enemy might be broken.  The request was complied with; but before many rounds had been fired, he exclaimed, “Brother soldiers, we are surrounded; it is useless to stand any longer; each take care of himself as best he can.”
     Here was the beginning of the _____ of John Hamilton, and in my further extracts, I will let him speak for himself, and he says:  “I immediately shaped my course southward, and soon discovered I had been singled out by an Indian; I kept about sixty yards ahead of him – so near that we could converse.  I was still armed and held him in check, and wa_ I stopped I would tree, he using the same precaution.  He could use enough English to say with a beckoning hand, “Come here!”  I responded “No!” We remained in this position until I could see an opportunity to make another effort to escape.  Then I would present my gun in shooting position as though I would shoot; this would drive him again to his tree, when I would spring forward and gain another tree.  Spending sometime in this way, I discovered I had another pursuer who fired upon me from a western position, and I at once was satisfied I could not dodge two – one north and one west – so I made up my mind to surrender to the first to avoid being instantly killed.  I leaned my gun against my covert tree and beckoned to the first, and gave myself up to him; the other arriving immediately, demanded a division of spoils, which was settled by No. 2 taking my long knife and overcoat, and he left me the prisoner of No. 1, after showing me his power to scalp me, by the flourish of his knife over my head.
     My captor then took me to the rear of the British lines, where we remained by some camp-fires, it being a very cold day, and while at the fire the same Indian that got my over-coat and knife made further claim, which was not so easily settled this time.  In this controversy between the two, my friend being an Ottawa and the other a Potawatamie they had much difficulty.  The Indian No. 2, the Potawatamie they had much difficulty.  The No. 2, the Potawatamie, manifested a determination to take my life by actually cocking his gun and presenting it to shoot, when it was again settled by an agreement to take my remaining coat and relinquish all further claim, which was complied with, and I became the undisputed prisoner of No. 1, the Ottawa.
     At this point a Canadian Frenchmen, who was a camp-suttler, beckoned me one side and said if I had any money or other valuables that I wished saved he would take charge of them, and at the end of my captivity he would be at Detroit and restore them to me; and if I did not I would be rifled of them; not knowing what to do I yielded.  I had a small sum of money, and some other valuables, which I handed to him, but never realized any return.  I could not find him at Detroit after my release.
     While we remained at the fire, General Winchester and other prisoners passed by, stripped of their honors and apparel, which was the last I saw of my suffering comrades-in-arms; and at this point I also discovered the fight was not over, but the defense within the pickets was still continued by Major Matison, under several  repeated charges of the British forces, demanding surrender; finally, after consultation, he agreed to surrender on the terms that the British would treat all as prisoners of war, protect them from their savage allies, and remove our wounded to Amherstburg to be properly cared for; but the history of the sequel must supple this part of my narrative.
     On the evening of the battle, I as a prisoner with the Indians retired to Stoney Creek, about four miles eastward; there I was informed by an interpreter that I would not be sold or exchanged, but must go with my adopted father, who was the natural father of my captor, to his wigwam, where we arrived after about nine days’ walk in about a northwestern direction, and with whom I remained up to the 1st day of January, 1814.
     In brevity, I would say I lived with them nearly one year, and endured all the privations and hardships of savage life.  And this is saying a great deal in my case, as all the warriors were absent preparing for the intended siege of Fort Meigs, which left the old men, women and children, including myself, without the supply generally provided by hunters, and we were reduced almost to starvation much of the time I was with them.  I became so reduced that many times I was almost too weak to walk, by reason of short supplies.  My condition really was worse than that of my friends, as I may call them, for they resorted to horse flesh, and even to dog meat, which I could not eat.  I do not design to spin out this narrative, or I could present many diversified incidents, that might be considered very interesting.”
     At this point Mr. Hamilton made some statements which were merely intended as episodes, not intending to add them to this narrative, which I will, however, from memory, try to give in his own language, and it was about to this effect:
     “The family belonging to our wigwam at a time when starvation stared them in the face was very agreeably surprised one day, when my old adopted father drew forth from a secret place he had a small sack, and required his whole family then in camp to form a circle around him, myself among them, when he began by opening his sack to distribute in equal quantities to each a small measure full of parched corn, and as small as this relief may seem, it was received by us all with great thankfulness, and seemed to appease our hunger.  We appreciated it as a feast of fat things.
“This old Indian Patriarch had traits of moral character that would adorn our best civilized and Christianized communities; he was strictly impartial in distributing favors and in dispensing justice to those around him, and was in all respects unquestionably an honest man.  His moral sense was of a higher order; he could not tolerate in others any willful obliquity in the shape of deception or prevarication, as I can very readily testify; on one occasion, I had attempted to hold back a fact of which I new affected one of his natural children that he was about to punish for some disobedience, and as soon as he became satisfied of the built of the culprit and my prevarication, he procured a hickory and applied it upon both of us in equal measure of stripes.  This was characteristic of that man of nature’s mould.”
     Here his written narrative is resumed:  “Some time in the latter part of November, 1813, the commanding officers at Detroit sent a deputation to our little Indian town, offering terms of peace to the Ottawa Nation or tribe, o condition that they would bring into Detroit their prisoners and horses, which they had captured, and that if these terms were not accepted and complied with in a reasonable time, measures would be adopted to compel a compliance.
     “A council was shortly afterward called and convened, and the terms proposed were accepted, and complied with, and I was delivered of Detroit on the first day of January, 1814, to the commanding officer of the Fort, and there I met with other prisoners and we were all provided for.”
     Here Mr. Hamilton’s captivity ended, and in the continuation of his narrative, he says he found himself three hundred miles from home in the middle of a cold northern winter, thinly clad, and without money.  He was here furnished with an order for rations to Urbana, to which place he came and remained a few days with friends and then left for Winchester, Kentucky, where he arrived without any further government aid about the middle of February, 1814, after an absence of nearly twenty months.  He further says, he remained at Winchester a few days, arranged his little affairs and returned to Urbana and ___ __ his home.  Mr. Hamilton’s exemplary and religious life is well known to his community, and here this narrative ends.



(SHARON'S NOTE:  The beginning of this is very hard to read but I will extract what I can)

     There might many more pioneer scenes be presented in relation to Urbana and Champaign County, but it is difficult to weave them into the narrative of events in order in which they occurred, and I will leave them for other pens.  The same general remarks that I have delineated in these sketches, in regard to the disposition to aid each other, may be applied to the old settlers of this whole community; the same wild adventures are also equally aplicable, and older settlers than myself will be more competent to portray them.  I will, however, here state that some other old settlers' names should be mentioned in connection with early pioneer life in Urbana.  Thomas PEARCE, father of Harvey, as I am informed, before Urbana was located, built and occupied a log cabin on what is now known as market space, and opened a field north of Scioto Street, and cultivated it for some years.
     The following additional names may be noted as very early settlers in this town:  William BRIDGE, James McGILL, James HULSE, Folsom FORD, Joseph GORDON, William MELLON, Samuel GIBBS, Hugh GIBBS, Benjamin SWEET, Martin HITT, A. R. COLWELL, William McCOLLOCH, William PARKISON, Curtis M. THOMPSON, George MOORE, Alexander ALLEN, and others.  At this point it may be noted that Harvey PEARCE and Jacob Harris PATRICK are believed to be the oldest male settlers now here who were born in Urbana, both of whom are over sixty years old.
     Through the kind assistance of Col. Douglas LUCE, who has been in Urbana from 1807 to this time, I am enabled to present the following list of old settlers of the township of Urbana.  It is to be regretted that it will be impossible to extend to them individually anything more than the mere names, which will divest them of much interest, as each one of them might be made the subject of interesting pioneer experience.  It may be here noted that as other persons who live in the other townships of the county are engaged in presenting the names of old settlers in them, it will supercede the necessity of my extending them beyond the limits of Urbana township:  Samuel POWELL, Abraham POWELL, John FITZPATRICK, Joseph KNOX, James LARGENT, John WILEY, Joseph PENCE, Jacob PENCE, William RHODES, John THOMAS, Joseph FORD, Ezekiel THOMAS, John TREWITT, George SANDERS, Jessie JOHNSON, Benjamin NICHOLS, William CUMMINGS, John WHITE, Robert NOE, Robert BARR, Alexander McBETH, Isaac TABOR, Bennett TABOR, Tabian EAGLE, Job CLEVENGER, James DALLAS, John WINN, S. T. HEDGES, Jonas HEDGES, Rev. James DUNLAP, John PEARCE, John DAWSON, Charles STUART, Christopher KENAGA,, Minney VOORHEES, Jacob ARNEY, John G. and Robert CALDWELL, Richard D. GEORGE, ____ WISE, (near the pond bearing his name,) Thomas DONLIN, Isaac TURMAN, William McROBERTS, ____LOGAN, Andrew RICHARDS and Thomas WATT.  Many of the above settled in Urbana Township as early as 1801, and all of them before 1820.
...........................and so on.....


     The following facts in regard to Hull's Trace, I obtained from several pioneers that were here and saw HULL when he passed through with his army.  I will give the names of some of my informants:  Judge VANCE, of Urbana, John ENOCH, Wm. HENRY, and Henry McPHERSON.  It was in the year 1812 he took up his line of march from Urbana.  Their route was very near the present road from Urbana to West Liberty, a few rods east until they reached King's Creek.  About two miles beyond this they crossed the present road and continued on the west until they arrived at Mac-a-cheek, crossing that stream at Capt. BLACK's old farm.  Coming to Mad River, they crossed it about five rods west of the present bridge at West Liberty.  Passing through Main street, they continued on the road leading from the latter place to Zanesfield until they reached the farm now owned by Charles HILDEBRAND.  Here they turned a little to the left, taking up a valley near his farm.  Arriving at McKees Creek, they crossed it very near where the present Railroad bridge is; thence to Blue Jacket, crossing it about one mile west of Bellefontaine on the farm now owned by Henry GOOD.  They continued their line of march on or near the present road from Bellefontaine to Huntsville.  They halted some time at Judge McPHERSON's farm, now the county infirmary, passing through what is now Cherokee, on Main street, to an Indian village called Solomon's Town, where they encamped on the farm now owned by David WALLACE.  The trace is yet plain to be seen in many places.  Judge VANCE informs me there is no timber growing in the track in many places in Champaign county.
     I forgot to say they encamped at West Liberty.  James BLACK informs me he saw Gen. HULL's son fall into Mad River near where Mr. GLOVER's Mill now stands, he being so drunk he could not sit on his horse.


    There has been, as the reader will see elsewhere, two dreadful tornadoes in these counties; one at Bellefontaine, the other at Urbana.  In addition to these phenomena this county was visited by several earthquakes.  These shocks were distinctly felt in Champaign and Logan counties.  They were in the winter of 1811-12.  See PATRICK's and my accounts of tornadoes elsewhere in this volume.
     On the 7th day of February, 1812, at an hour when men were generally wrapt in the most profound slumbers, this country, generally, was visited by another shock of an earthquake.  It was of greater severity and longer duration than any previous one yet.  It occurred about forty-five minutes after three o'clock in the morning.  The motion was from the south-west.  A dim light was seen above the horizon in that direction, a short time previous.  The air, at the time, was clear and very cold, but soon became hazy.  Two more shocks were felt during the day.  Many of the inhabitants, at this time, fled from their houses in great consternation.  The cattle of the fields and the fowls manifested alarm.  The usual noise, as of distant thunder, preceded these last convulsions.  The shock was so severe as to crack some of the houses at Troy, in Miami county.  The last shock seemed to vibrate east and west.
     This shock was felt with equal severity in almost every part of Ohio.  Travelers along the Mississippi river at that time were awfully alarmed.  Many islands, containing several hundred acres, sunk and suddenly disappeared.  The banks of the river fell into the water.  The ground cracked open in an alarming manner.  Along the river, as low down as New Orleans, forty shocks were felt, from the16th to the 20th.  At Savannah, on the 16th, the sock was preceded by a noise resembling the motion of the waves of the sea.  The ground heaved upward.  The people were affected with giddiness and nausea.


     Tornado at Bellefontaine, June 24, 1825, as related to me by those who witnessed it:  About one o'clock, there was a dark mass of clouds seen looming up in the west and seemed to increase in volume and in terrific grandeur as it approached the town.  The mass of black clouds now intermingled with others of a lighter hue of a vapory appearance, all dashing, rolling and foaming like a vast boiling cauldron, accompanied by thunder and lightning, presenting a scene to the spectator at once most grand, sublime and appalling.  A few minutes before its approach there seemed to be a death-like stillness, not a breath of air to move the pendant leaves on the trees.  It seemed as if the storm king, as he rode in awful majesty on the infuriated clouds had stopped to take his breath in order to gather strength to continue his work of destruction.  Man and beast stood and gazed in awful suspense, awaiting to all appearance, inevitable destruction.  This suspense was but for a moment; soon the terrible calamity was upon them, sweeping everything as with the besom of destruction, that lay in its path.  Fortunately this country was then new and almost an unbroken forest, consequently no one was killed.  It passed a little north of the public square, however within the present limits of the town, struck Mr. HOUTZ's two story brick dwelling, throwing it to the ground, and a log spring-house, carrying it off even to the mud sills; it picked up a boulder that was imbedded in the ground, weighing about three hundred pounds, carrying it some distance from where it lay.  Mr. CARTER, who was there at that time, informs me it stripped the bark off a walnut tree from top to bottom, leaving it standing; it carried a calf from one lot and dropped it into another.  Mrs. CARTER says she saw a goose entirely stripped of its feathers.  Passing through the town its course lay in the direction of the Rushcreek Lake, passing over the little sheet of water, carrying water, fish and all out on dry land.  The fish were picked up the next day a great distance from the Lake; even birds were killed and stripped of their feathers.  The writer of this followed the track of this storm for nearly thirty miles.  Its course was from the south-west to the north-east, passing through a dense forest.  I don't think it varied from a straight course in the whole distance.  Its force seemed to have been about the same.  It did not raise and fall like the one that passed through Urbana some years after.  Last summer the writer visited the track of this storm where it crossed the Scioto near where Rushcreek empties into that stream in Marion county, where the primitive forest stands as it left it.  There as elsewhere it is about one-half mile in width.  In the out-skirts of the track there are a few primitive trees standing shorn of their tops looking like monumental witnesses of the surrounding desolation.  But for five hundred yards in the center of the track there is not one primitive three standing, they have fallen like the grass before a scythe.  If such a storm should pass over Bellefontaine now, there would be nothing left of it.


     About two miles directly west of Lewistown, in Logan county on the farm now owned by Manasses HUBER, was the scene of this melancholy event.  Abraham HOPKINS (son of Harrison and Christiana HOPKINS) about five years old, was lost November 13, 1837.

"Heaven to all men hides the book of fate,
And blindness to the future has kindly given."

     How cosily this little fellow slept in the arms of his mother the night before this sad event.  The father and mother likewise slept sweetly, unconscious of the sad calamity that was then at their very door.  They got up in the morning, ate their breakfast as cheerfully and with as great a relish as they ever did; the father goes singing to his daily toil, while the mother attends to the ordinary duties of her house, cheered by the innocent prattle of her happy boy.  Everything passed off pleasantly till about 2 o'clock, when Mrs HOPKINS started with her little son to visit a neighbor, about a half mile distant - a Mr. ROGERS.  She had to pass by a new house, now being built by Charles CHERRY, an uncle to the boy.  When they got there, they stopped for a few moments.  The little boy wished to remain with his uncle; he did so, and the mother passed on to Mr. ROGERS'.  The little fellow got tired playing about the house, and said he would go after his mother, and started.  There was a narrow strip of timber between the new house and ROGERS', and nothing but a dim path through it.  Mr. CHERRY cautioned the boy not to get lost.  It seems he soon lost the dim path, for he hollowed back to his uncle, saying, "I can go it now; I have found the path."  These were the last words he was ever heard to say, and the last that was ever seen of him.  Mrs. HOPKINS having done her errand, returned to the new house where Mr. CHERRY was still at work, and inquired for her boy; and what was her surprise, when she was told he had followed her and not been seen since!  Immediate search was made by the frantic mother and father, and Mr. CHERRY.  They immediately went to Mr. ROGERS' and to another neighbor living but a short distance from him, but no tidings could be had of him.  It was a pleasant day, and he was barefooted.  They could see the tracks of his bare feet in the dust in a path that led through the field to the house.  It seems he had gone to the house, and not finding his mother there (for she, finding the family absent had gone to another house) he attempted to return to his uncle at the new house, where his mother had left him.  Soon the alarm was spread far and near, and people collected from all parts of the country.  There were at times over a thousand people hunting him.  They continued their search for three weeks.  Every foot of ground for three miles from the house was searched, even the Miami river was dragged for miles; but all in vain - not a track could be seen in the yielding allavial soil of the neighborhood - nothing, save the imprint of his little feet in the dust of the path in the field above - mentioned; not a shred of his clothing was to be seen anywhere, and to this day his history is a profound and melancholy mystery.  It is, however, the opinion of Mr. CHERRY, the uncle of the child, that he was stolen by the Indians.  He says there was an Indian who, for many years, had been in the habit of trapping in the neighborhood, and suddenly disappeared, and has never been seen there since.  There was a deputation of the citizens sent out where the Indian lived, and accused him of the crime, but he resolutely denied it.  Mr. HOPKINS has been singularly unfortunate with his family; one son died in the army, and another was crushed by the cars, near Champaign City, Illinois, where he now resides.


This Webpage has been created exclusively by Sharon Wick for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights