OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
CLERMONT COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES
Source: 
HISTORY OF
CLERMONT AND BROWN COUNTIES, OHIO
VOLUME II
1913

A B C D E F G H I J K L
M N O P Q R S T U V W XYZ

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1913 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

  MR. PEARL C. HARBER, the junior member of the thriving and enterprising mercantile firm of Eveland & Harber, of Miamiville, Ohio, is a native of Bracken county, Kentucky, his birth having occurred there Feb. 2, 1878.
     On Christmas day, 1881, Pearl C. Harber came from Kentucky to Miamiville with his parents, John N. and Ida J. (Poe) Harber, who shortly after located on a farm in Miami township.
     Mr. Harber acquired his early education in the schools of the district, spending his boyhood days on the farm.  Later, he attended the high school at Milford, Ohio, and following his graduation from there learned the machinist's trade at Cincinnati, which occupation he pursued for six years, but desiring to be nearer home returned here and in 1907 Mr. Harber entered into partnership with Mr. W. B. Eveland in his general store.  The company is conducting an up-to-date, prosperous business, and enjoys a large patronage.
     Mr. Pearl C. Harber has one sister, Margaret, who is the wife of James Moorhead, of an old Clermont county family.  His mother passed away in April, 1911, in her fifty-second year.  His father, John Harber, resides in Miamiville, and has been the sexton of the cemetery for the past twelve years.  He is a Republican,  and has served his party as assessor of the township.
     In political views, Mr. Harber favors the principles of the Republican Party.  He has served as school director for several years.  Socially he is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America at Miamiville.
     Mr. Harber is a strong, vigorous man, with a keen mind and indomitable energy, conducting his duties in such a manner as to be free from all unpleasant comment.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 154
  ELISHA HAWKINS, a retired steamboat man and veteran of the Civil war, residing at New Richmond, Ohio, was born in Anderson township, Hamilton county, Ohio, at the headwaters of Clough creek, Feb. 11, 1837.  He is a son of William and Mary Ann (Lindsey) Hawkins, who were residents of Clermont county from 1846 until their demise.
     The great-grandparents of Elisha Hawkins were Richard Hawkins and wife, who were natives of Scotland, coming to America early in the Eighteenth century.  They settled in Maryland.  They were descendants of Highland chiefs of Scotland.  Later, they came west to Ohio, locating in the vicinity of Linwood, Hamilton county, Ohio, where both are buried.  Of their family, three sons left Maryland, Rezin, a bachelor, settling at Bedford, Pa., and remaining there until his decease.  William married and located on Four Mile creek in Kentucky and his descendants are scattered over Kentucky, Tennessee and elsewhere.  Richard, who was the grandfather of Elisha, was very successful in flat boating, building and owning many flat boats.  Three times yearly, he made the trip to New Orleans with these boats and walked the distance back to the mouth of the Little Miami river from which point he loaded.  With the proceeds of this business, Richard purchased large tracts of land, owning some nine hundred acres in Hamilton county, nineteen hundred acres in Brown county, and twenty-two hundred acres of good land near Rockport, Ind., which he later divided among his children.  Richard was born June 5, 1779, and died Nov. 24, 1859.  His wife, Sarah (Kelly) Hawkins, was born Apr. 13, 1788, and died Jan. 30, 1863.  They are buried at Five Mile Methodist Churchyard, near Cherry Grove, Ohio.  To the union of Richard and Sarah (Kelly) Hawkins were born the following children:
     Elisha, married Leann Bennett and resided at Mt. Washington, Ohio.
     William, the father of this biographical mention.
     David, was a farmer on Five Mile creek in Hamilton county.  He married Ann Bennett, and both are buried there.
     Nancy, married Samuel Bennett, and died in Hamilton county.
     Rehama, married William Bennett, of Hamilton county.
     Mary, married Rev. David Lindsey, and resided at Mt. Pisgah, in Clermont county, for many years, but both died in Hamilton county and are buried at Five Mile churchyard cemetery.
     Cassie, married Martin Wheatly, and lived in Hamilton county.
     Richard, married Mary Swim and removed to Macoupin county, Illinois, where he was a wealthy farmer and stockman.
     Martha, married William Mattox, of Hamilton county, where they resided.
     Thomas, married Hester Birdsall, and lived at Forestville, Hamilton county, Ohio.
     Rezien, married, and was killed by lightning at the north, or Cincinnati8, end of the Union bridge, while going to market in Cincinnati.  His widow resides near Amelia, Clermont county.
     Sarah M., married Joseph Silver, and moved to Kansas, where they died.
     William Hawkins, the father of our subject, was born in Hamilton county, Ohio, Mar. 26, 1810, and died Dec. 31, 1893, in Ohio township, Clermont county.  He was a successful farmer and raiser of fine stock and in response to his country's call for volunteers, enlisted in the Federal army at the outbreak of the Civil war, but did not serve, as his son, Elisha, took his place.  His wife, Mary Ann (Lindsey) Hawkins, was born Jan. 19, 1814, and died July 13, 1889, she being a daughter of Edmond and Barbara (Fisher) Lindsey, the former of whom was of Scotch-Irish descent and was born Dec. 17, 1773, and died Apr. 15, 1855.  The latter was of Holland parentage and was born Dec. 17, 1788, and died Mar. 23, 1875.
     Elisha Hawkins was reared and educated in the common schools and later attended the Farmers' College of Cincinnati three years.  In 1852 he removed to Pike county, Illinois, where he spent two years, after which he returned to Clermont, and resumed the business of farming.
     On Aug. 25, 1861, Mr. Hawkins was united in marriage to Mary Jane Morris, whose demise occurred November, 1892.  She left five daughters, whose names follow:
     Melvina, died at fifteen years of age.
     Mary Ann, became the wife of Harry Townsley, a newspaper man of Washington Court House, Ohio.
     Cora B., is Mrs. H. G. Donaldson, of near New Richmond, Ohio.  Her first husband was James Cochran, who died leaving one child, Mabel.
     Laura
, is the wife of John Fowler, a railroad man, living at Newport, Ky.
     Bessie, is Mrs. George Shaw, of New Richmond, her husband's occupation being that of insurance.,
     Mr. Hawkins enlisted Oct. 20, 1861, in Company G, Fifty-ninth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served until Nov. 1, 1864, being mustered out a lieutenant.  He was engaged in twenty-one of the hardest battles in the Southwest, including Missionary Ridge.  He was in the noted "Army of the Cumberland." and was four times wounded, but never lost a day's duty.
     Returning from the war, Mr. Hawkins resumed farming, continuing in his occupation for five years.  Following this period, he took up the business of steam boating and for thirty years operated on the Ohio, Mississippi, Arkansas and White rivers, retiring form the river in 1905.  He again carried on farming for a time retiring from active business in 1909.
     Mr. Hawkins voted the Democratic ticket until the time of the Civil war, after which he voted the Republican ticket until the election of Benjamin Harrison and has since been a strong Democrat.  He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, George H. Thomas Post, of Cincinnati.  For twenty six years he held membership in the fraternity of Odd Fellows.  Mr. Hawkins evidences his religious faith by his membership in the Baptist church, in which he has been active for years.  He belongs to that class of men who have accomplished many commendable things in life, being ever ready to defend his country and home, at all times doing whatever he had to do with all his might. 
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 272
  RICHARD HAWKINS

Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 176

  MR. HARVEY HAWLEY, one of the prosperous and substantial farmers and stock raisers of Clermont county, Ohio, has been a resident of Goshen township since 1839, when he was eight years of age.  He recalls without difficulty the development and progress of the county and the present generation knows but little of and can hardly appreciate the suffering and labor and privation that brought about the present delightful condition of the hills and valleys of Clermont from the wild untamed forests of "The Northwest Territory."  Mr. Hawley owns and operates his finely improved farm of one hundred and sixty-four acres in Goshen Township.  He was born near Mason, Warren county, Ohio, Oct. 9, 1830, and is a son of Joel and Mary (Dill) Hawley.
     Joel Hawley
was a native of Connecticut, a son of John Hawley, who brought the family to Ohio about 1812, settling near Oxford, Ohio.  Joel and John, his sons, settled later in Warren county, Ohio, where the former remained until 1829, when he removed to Goshen township, Clermont county, and became a successful and greatly respected farmer.  His birth occurred June 12, 1795, and his death took place in the year of 1855.  He was a Whig in politics and later a Republican.
     Mary (Dill) Hawley was born Aug. 8, 1792, and departed this life in 1842.  Her marriage to Mr. Joel Hawley occurred Sept. 9, 1818.  They were both members of the Methodist church, he being very active in church and Sabbath School work, and a local preacher.  Their union was blessed with five sons, namely:
     Hiram W., deceased.
     Dr. Albert, a resident of Preble county, Ohio, where for many years, he was prominent physician, in now in his ninety years, he was a prominent physician, and is now deceased.
     Joel Franklin, deceased.
     Harvey, the subject of this mention.
     After the death of his wife, Mr. Joel Hawley chose for his second wife, Mrs. Sarah Lewis, nee Brown, and they became the parents of two children:
     Charles E., residing at Ramona, Hamilton county, Ohio.
     Julia, who married J. M. Vandervort, and who died in the spring of 1919.
     Mr. Harvey Hawley
was reared on his father's farm and enjoyed the educational privileges of a school at Milford, Ohio, for two years.  He then continued his studies at Antioch College, under Horace Mann, until he was called home on account of the death of his father.  Since that time he has managed the home farm, and he is justly proud of the great changes which have been effected on this property through the industry and good management of his father and himself.
    
The marriage of Mr. Harvey Hawley to Miss Mary E. Lewis occurred in 1859.  Mrs. Hawley was born at Lebanon, Ohio, May 16, 1833, and died April 21, 1899.  She was a daughter of William and Sarah (Brown) Lewis, the former a manufacturer carriages.  The Lewises were of Welsh descent and the Brown family were from Pennsylvania.
     Mr. and Mrs. Hawley
became the parents of five children: 
     Evelyn Sarah, Albert Lewis,
who died at the age of eleven months, Lavina Blanch, Cora Mary and Lura Merdith, who is the wife of O. P. Bodley, of Loveland, Ohio.  They have two children, Harvey Hawley and Virginia Meredith.
    
Politically, Mr. Hawley is a staunch Republican, and has refused to accept all proffered public offices.  HE has, however, served for many years on the school board.
     Mr. Hawley is an active member of the Presbyterian church, to which Mrs. Hawley also belonged.
     For a number of years, Mr. Hawley was president of the First National Bank of Loveland.  As a first class citizen he has cast his influence in the directions of those movements which, in his opinion, have been for the bets interest of the township and county, and is considered one of its representative men.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 229
  GEORGE HICKEYGeorge Hickey, one of the leading liverymen of Clermont county, Ohio, having a fine stable and equipment at Milford Ohio, having a fine stable and equipment at Milford, Ohio, in connection with the sales business, has been engaged in this business since 1877.  He was born at Cincinnati, Dec. 16, 1850, and is a son of John and Elizabeth (Welch) Hickey.
     John Hickey
was born in Switzerland, at Condone Baron and came to America as a young man, finally settling at Cincinnati, where he established a shoe business on Pearl street, being a shoemaker by trade.  Tiring of this business he conducted a saloon at the East End Garden for about two years, after which he started the first saloon in Linwood, called the "Cross Key" or "Butcher's Headquarters."  He continued here for several years, and then conducted a hotel and bar for one year at Plainville, Ohio.  In Columbus he had charge of a saloon on High street and three months before his death, he ran a hotel and bar at Rannelsburg.
     Elizabeth Welch was born in Baden, Germany, and came to America at the age of thirteen years.  She had nine brothers, of whom Andrew settled at Pleasant Ridge, in the first years of their residence in America.  Andrew was a carpenter of that place for fifty years.  He was also a soldier in the Civil war, enlisting from Ohio.  Mrs. Hickey died in 1901, at Milford, at the age of eighty-two years.  She was a Presbyterian in religious faith.
     George Hickey is one of five children:
     Hattie, died in young womanhood.
     Laura, married John Simoaton, and her death occurred at Milford, leaving two daughters.
     Eva, married Gus Norz, of Milford.
     Carrie, died as a young woman.
     George Hickey came to Milford at the out break of the Civil war, being a resident of over fifty years.  He attended the common schools and for twenty-eight years was engaged as a carrier of the mail, between Milford and Blanchester, by the way of Newtonville.  He carried the first mail to Perintown from Milford, to the Norfolk & Western railway.  He embarked in the livery business in 1877, with practically no capital, but in a small way began the business which has grown to large proportions.  He keeps about fifteen head of horses all the time and employs seven men.  He has all the necessary equipment for the handling of large funerals, and in addition buys and sells fine driving horses.
     Mr. Hickey was united in marriage in 1884 to Miss Pauline Van Neally who was born at Newtonville, Clermont county, and is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Van Neally.  Mrs. Hickey has two sisters and one brother living.  Mrs. Mollie Clemons and Mrs. John Collins, of Wayne township, this county.  Charles Van Neally was a soldier in the Civil war.
     Mr. and Mrs. Hickey have three children:
     Ross and John, of the undertaking firm of Hickey Brothers, of Milford.  This business was established in the spring of 1912, and is doing a good business for so young an enterprise.
     Eva, at home.
     Mr. Hickey is always a Democrat, although he is liberal in his views.  In religious matters, he favors the faith of the Presbyterian church, having been reared in that church.  He is liberal in the support of this denomination.  The family residence is on Mound street, and is one of comfortable proportions.
     The success of Mr. Hickey is due to the careful and close attention to all of the detail of the business, taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves to him.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 332
  GEORGE HAND HILL.  Comparatively few men are spared, with unimpaired faculties, to the advanced age of four score and two years. George H. Hill was one of these and in reviewing his activities as an educator, civil engineer and inventor, considering also his estimable Christian citizenship, it is more than evident that the community in which he lived is most fortunate. That his influence was always for the best is testified to by scores now in middle life, and whom he taught in their younger days.
     Mr. Hill was born in Stone Lick township, Clermont county, Ohio, March S, 1830, and died at Milford, Ohio, May 8, 1912. He was the eldest of the twelve children of Charles and Rebecca (Hand) Hill, and was reared on his father's farm, attending school in the winter months. At the age of seventeen years he attended a private school in Milford, but owing to an outbreak of cholera, this and other schools were closed. Determined to secure an education, he taught for a few terms and ultimately purchased a scholarship in Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, and after two years graduated in the scientific course. Mr. Hill then decided to make teaching his life work and very acceptably conducted various schools in the county.
     In 1871 he became principal of Milford public school and satisfactorily held the position for six years consecutively. He was the first to prepare a grade for this school and this he did at the request of the board of education. After teaching for twenty-nine years, he was elected to the office of county surveyor. He made surveying and civil engineering his occupation until the time of his death. Mr. Hill was an active member of the Ohio society of civil engineers, and prepared several papers, which were published in full in the society's annual reports.
     He was twice married, first on April 10, 1855, to Miss Sarah Thomas, of Radnor, Ohio. To this union were born three children, viz.: Emma Florence, formerly a teacher at Moore's Hill College, Indiana, and at Morristown Normal Academy, being an exceptionally fine pianist, and is the wife of Theodore F. Brown, who is with the Pere Marquette railroad, and resides at Detroit.
Miss Anna Gertrude, an artist, and the producer of several beautiful oil paintings, residing at home.
George Lewis, who died in infancy.
     The mother was called to her heavenly home, March 7, 1873.  On Christmas Day, 1876, Mr. Hill was united in marriage to Mrs. Sarah Eleanor Nichols, nee Applegate, born near Goshen, Clermont county, Ohio, June 24, 1826, and who still resides
at the Milford home.
     Mrs. Hill is a daughter of Elijah and Nancy (Champion) Applegate, who settled in Goshen township when Cincinnati was but a village. Elijah was a farmer and millwright, owning and operating a mill for many years; also owned a finely improved farm. He died in 1840, aged forty-seven years, while his wife passed away in 1839. Both were born in the month of February, in 1793 and 1795, respectively. Their ten children are as follows: Perrine, Thomas Fletcher, John (the father of Mayor A. B. Applegate, of Milford, mentioned elsewhere in these volumes), Lydia Ann, married Rev. Mr. Barnes, and had two daughters who died in infancy, Eliza Jane, Sarah Eleanor (widow of our subject), Elijah, and Mrs. Nancy Elizabeth Anshutz. Mrs. Hill, who is a remarkably well preserved lady, taught for some twenty-two years, in Goshen township, and at Knightstown, Ind., Seminary, and formerly was principal of a girls school at Versailles, Ind. In the former institution she taught the grammar department, being also first assistant, but her most pronounced success as an instructor was in the primary department.
     Mrs. Hill's first husband was Robert H. Nichols, who died in 1872, he being an uncle of the later Judge Perry Nichols, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in these volumes. He was a prominent nurseryman, his home being in Laurel, in Monroe township, this county. He was born December 28, 1803, and his first wife, whom he married May 26, 1825, was Miss Mary Simmons, born December 22, 1802, and died March 16, 1863, daughter of James Simmons and an aunt of W. D. Simmons, now living retired at Laurel, and mentioned elsewhere in this work. Robert H. was a son of Nathan and Hannah (Hodgson) Nichols, whose children were:
     Phillip, born in 1785.
     William, born in 1787.
     John, born in 1789.
     Elijah, born in 1792.
     Abner, born in 1795.
     Esther, born in 1796.
     David, born in 1799.
     Nathan, born in 1802.
     Robert Hodgson and Elizabeth, twins, born in 1803.
     Thomas Jefferson, born in 1806.
     Jonathan B., born in 1809.
     The married life of Mr. and Mrs. Hill was pleasant and happy, and she and the daughter who reside at the beautiful home in East Milford look forward to a reunion in heaven. Mr. Hill was converted in his youth, and in 1847 united with the Methodist Episcopal church, Mount Zion charge, Milford circuit. He was a useful and faithful member to the day of his death, being at that time steward and trustee and having occupied the positions of chorister and recording steward. He was a most exemplary Christian and a lifelong abstainer from the use of tobacco and intoxicating liquors. During the last eight months of his life he was confined to the house, his suffering at all times being severe, but he was patient with all. After having exceeded by over ten years the psalmist's allotted time of life, his fertile brain had perfected an automobile having a dozen or more advantages presented in a model which he constructed and in working drawings which he forwarded to the United States Patent Office. Truly his beautiful, active and useful life is worthy of emulation by all youthful aspirants for success and his memory will ever be held dear by all whose pleasure it was to enjoy association with this noble character.
Source: History of Clermont and Brown Counties, Ohio - Vol. II - by Byron Williams - Publ. 1913 - Page 40
NOTES:

 


 

CLICK HERE to Return to
CLERMONT COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights