OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Clinton County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

Source:
History of Clinton County, Ohio
Indianapolis, Ind. :: B.F. Bowen & Co.,
1915CHAPTER VII -
MILITARY HISTORY OF CLINTON COUNTY
pg. 101

     On one in this country wants or expects to see the gruesome shadow of the war-god visit this beautiful land of ours again.  Yet neither North nor South would forego one tittle of the heroic savagery, of the brutal chivalry, that marked the shock of brother against brother in those never-to-be-forgotten battles of the Civil War.  Yet from their bloody fields has arisen an imperishable understanding that must come when hostile members of the same stock try each other's mettle.  And this is why we like to hear about it and they like to talk about it.  Who is there that has not seen the gatherings in the country lanes, under the silver poplars before the village blacksmith shop, in the shade of the awnings that shelter the cove oysters and mackerel kits in front of the store.  Crops are very essential affairs, and the prospects of rain must need be discussed as they foregather at the hallowed trysting places.  But the conversation languishes after a while, until one pipes up: "Bill, d'ye remember so and so, and so and so?"  Does Bill remember?  Well, he should say, yes!  And they fight it over again, until through the horned glaze in the eyes of the oldest of the old who took part there comes the light of other days, such as Byron only knew by proxy and had to tell second hand.  Until finally Steve Johnson goes out in front, draws the line of attack in the dust of the village street, leads the ghostly corps in the forlorn attack, routs the enemy, lock, stock and barrel!  Then they, at the call of the smith, hitch up and each wends his way back to the crops in the field, to the vegetable garden in the rear of the town home, where the pole beans are climbing high and the promise of early roastin' ears lends new vigor to aged hands, as they guide the hoe through the fast-growing grass, or whang a jimpson weed into the "kingdom come" of useless things.

REVOLUTIONARY WAR.

     Clinton county has had residents in every war that our country has waged - the War of Independence, the War of 1812, the Indian struggles, the Mexican War, the war between the North and the South and, lastly, the war with Spain.  It is hard to find the names of those who saw service in the Revolutionary War, but the following were Revolutionary pensioners who became residents of Clinton County:

Thomas Fugate, private, Twenty-second United Stages Infantry, died Sept. 11, 1833;
William Spencer, private, Virginia Continental Line;
William Venard, private, Tupper's brigade;
Daniel Redington, private, Massachusetts Continental Line;
John Allen, private, Virginia State Troops;
John Beard, private, Virginia Militia;
Asa Disbrown, private, Connecticut State Troops;
Abraham Ellis, private, Pennsylvania State Troops;
William Lloyd, private, Virginia Continental Line;
Thomas Gaddis, captain and colonel, Virginia State Troops;
Isaac Grant, private, Virginia Continental Line;
John Hall, private, Virginia State Troops;
David Harwick, private, Virginia Cavalry;
Thomas Hardin, private, Delaware Militia;
John Jones, private, Pennsylvania Militia;
Elijah Sabin, private, New York Militia;
David Shields, private, Virginia Militia;
James Spencer, private, Virginia Militia;
John Wollad, private, Virginia Militia;
Gordon Howard, private, Pennsylvania Continental Line;
Dennis O'Laughlin, private, Pennsylvania Continental Line;
Alexander Strickland, private, Virginia Continental Line;
Michael Wolf, private, Virginia Continental Line;
Abraham Westfall, New York Continental Line;
Thomas Weekly, Connecticut Line.

[Pg. 102]
     The claim that he had fought under Washington in the Revolutionary War and under William Henry Harrison in the War of 1812, was always made by Capt. Joseph Parrott, who was living in the county in1840, and was then a very old man.

WAR OF 1812.

     There can be no doubt that Clinton county furnished men for the Army of the Northwest under Harrison, in the second war with Great Britain, but no lists can be found giving their names.  At that time the county did not have many men to send, but no doubt can be entertained that she furnished her full quota.

MEXICAN WAR.

     During the war with Mexico in 1847, R. B. Harlan, of Washington, raised a company of volunteers, but they were not used, as the quota of the state had been filled and they were not needed.  Gen. James W. Denver, at that time a volunteer from the state of Missouri, but later a resident of Wilmington, achieved distinction in the Mexican War.  Throughout the period before the Civil War, militia companies were organized in Ohio.  Judge Robert B. Harlan, a resident of Wilmington, rose to the rank of major-general of Ohio Militia.

CIVIL WAR.

     Then came those stirring times that tried men's souls.  To us, as to them, it now seems like a dream.  The call to arms, with a spontaneous response in North and South that filled the ranks with city born and country-bred; with the sophisticated and the simple; with the innocent from the farms and the early-wise wastrels from the docks of seaport cities; the riot in the streets of Baltimore; the earlier skirmishes, followed by the heart-deadening rout from Bull Run; then a settling down to the long, grim contest, with uncertain hopes and fears, until Vicksburg fell and the historic fight at Gettysburg pointed to the beginning of the end, when the flag of a lost cause should be furled forever and one banner again float over the reunited people.
     There is no more magnificent record than that of Clinton county during this struggle.  The Clinton Republican of Friday, Apr. 19, 1861, has the following article, headed "Popular Excitement:"
     "The news of the surrender of Fort Sumter fell heavily upon the citizens on Sunday evening, as it flashed along the wires, and on Monday, when the daily papers arrived, confirming the report, and bringing the President's proclamation calling for seventy-five thousand volunteers, the excitement became intense.  Preparations were immediately commenced for erecting a national flag on the top of the court house, whilst those of our citizens who happened to be possessed of national banners, immediately unfurled them to the breeze.  About one o'clock, a large flag, displaying thirty-four stars, was run up on the court house, accompanied by the cheers of hte hundreds of people who lined the sidewalks and thronged the streets.  A large meeting of the citizens then spontaneously assembled in the court house, which was organized by the appointment of William Fuller, Esq., chairman, and Rodney Foos, secretary.  The meeting was spiritedly addressed  by Messrs. William Fuller, J. Q. Smith, R. B. Harlan, A. W. Doan, I B. Allen, Leroy Pope, A. C. Diboll, J. D. Hines and David Linton.  An agreement was then presented to the meeting of volunteers to be subject to the call of the proper authorities to march to the defense of the Union whenever and wherever called, which was signed on the spot by the following named citizens:  R. B. Harlan, J. D. Hines, I. B. Allen, A. W. Doan, H. B. Crumly, C. B. Lindsey, William S. Foos, William Adams, Jesse Hines, D. C. Kearns, James D. Roak, C. H. Morgan, S. J. Reed, E. Foos, H. S. Doan, J. W. Campbell, Jonathan Doan, Jr., C. T. Atkinson, A. H. Chapman, W. J. Speers and Samuel Woodruff.
     "
The following names have been added since:  C. M. Robinson, Michael Heck, P. A. Stamats, James B. Ireland, Sauel S. Dunham, Eli Madden, Cyrus Hunt, Edin Andrew, Albert Harvey, S. T. Darbyshire, John Pennington,  Stephen G. Job, Silas Page, Franklin

[Pg. 103]
Bayhan, John W. Shirey, Carey Johnson, John B. Abbott, W. B. Moore, G. P. Dunham, Elias Doan, G. D. Bendel, William H. Garrett, G. D. Smith, C. P. Penn, J. Parkerson, A. Arnold, J. F. Dakin, Frank S. Wheeler, J. N. Clovin, Rockey Osborn, Michael Long, John J. Harris, Amos T. Sewell, Miles Reeder, Joseph Smith, W. N. Wilkerson, E. S. Cline, G. M. McKinsey, John Fugate, James Garrison, Thomas P. Tyrrell, Thomas M. Pugh, C. S. Outcalt, George M. Zeigler, and several others whose names we have not learned.
     "Attention, Clinton County Volunteers!  The volunteers of Clinton county will assemble in front of the court house in Wilmington today (Friday, at one o'clock P. M.) for the purpose of arranging to start to Washington on Monday next.  Any suitable persons, desirous of joining the company, by attending at that time, may possibly have an opportunity to do so, but as the number is limited, it would be safer to apply before.  By order of the captain.                         R. B. HARLAN."

     At the meeting thus called, A. W. Doan was elected first lieutenant and J. D. Hines, second lieutenant.  It was agreed that the non-commissioned officers should not be elected until they reached Columbus.  A subscription of a thousand dollars which was later greatly increased, was presented to the meeting for the future aid of the volunteers.  By the Monday morning following the number of applicants for admission to the company were so many that there was almost enough to form two companies.  At nine o'clock on that morning the ladies of Wilmington presented the company with a beautiful flag.  The company left on a special train at nine-thirty o'clock for Columbus, where about sixty were dismissed owing to the great number of men offered in Ohio, and many returned home, while others joined other companies.  Captain Harlan's company, as finally organized, contained about one hundred men.  The following non-commissioned officers were appointed:  

First sergeant, Morris Harlan;
second sergeant, C. B. Lindsey;
third sergeant, A. H. Chapman;
fourth sergeant, B. A. Hines;
first corporal, J. V. Drake;
second corporal, E. G. Rizer;
third corporal, Hiram McKay;
fourth corporal, H. S. Doan.

     The following is a list of the private soldiers of this company, as shown by the original roll:

P. A. Arthur,
John B. Abbott,
Anderson Arnold,
Isaac B. Allen,
C. T. Atkinson,
Abraham H. Anson,
John W. Bardsley,
George D. Rendel,
John J. Barlow,
John Brehlman,
John Briant,
Andrew J. Brown,
Henry C. Brown,
John C. Cline,
Ephraim S. Cline,
Harvey F. Conklin,
Martin V. Crossen,
James Crossen,
Burlington Carlisle,
Thomas Conway,
Henry B. Crumley,
Lewis Dunn,
Samuel S. Dunham,
Jonathan Doan, Jr.,
John F. Dakin,
James W. Eaton,
William Foos,
Edward Foos,
William R. Gillespie,
Timothy Garner,
Jesse Hines,
Sock Harlan,
John Harris,
William Hartman,
Michael Heck,
James E. Harman,
A. J. Hodson,
J. A. Johnson,
Carey, Johnson,
James Johnson,
Stephen G. Job,
De C. Kearns,
Jacob Moon,
Samuel Marks,
G. B. Long,
David Lyon,
William H. McLean,
Jacob Moon,
Samuel Marks,
G. B. Miller,
William Miller,
Thomas I. Mercer,
William B. Moore,
P. R. Osborn,
John Owens,
Charles P. Penn,
Silas Pae,
A. J. Pennington,
Seymour J. Reed,
James D. Rake,
John B. Roberts,
Elias Roberts,
J. G. Smithson,
J. D. Smith,
Orlando Smith,
Joseph F. Smith,
James R. Smith,
James M. Speers,
W. J. Speers,
William H. Stroad,
Henry Sands,
P. A. Stamats,
John Standard,
Isaac Sewell,
John S. Surfas,
W. F. Stivins,
John Talbert,
James Todd,
Thomas Tyrrell,
F. M. Underwood,
Isaiah Wilkerson,
William N. Wilkerson,
Ellis B. Wall,
Jesse R. Williams,
Joshua R. Walker,
Silas Woodmansee,
Frank S. Wheeler,
George M. Zeigler.

     The company, known as the "Clinton County Guards," was assigned to the Twelfth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Their term of enlistment was for three months.
     The Twelfth Regiment took up its quarters at Camp Dennison, near Milford, May 8, 1861.  Subsequently, Lieut. J. D. Hines was made adjutant of the regiment and I B. Allen, was appointed second lieutenant in his place.   It is said that Colonel King, the commanding officer of the guard at Camp Jackson, Columbus, asserted that the "Clinton

[Pg. 104]
stavers" were worth any two companies of the regiment to preserve order and keep a good guard line.
     A second company, known as the "Clinton Guards, No. 2," was organized in Wilmington almost immediately after the departure of Captain Harlan's company, its officers being, D. Linton, captain; Thomas Vantress, first lieutenant; Thomas Thatcher, second lieutenant.  This company was offered to the state, but was not accepted, as the number of men from the county was so much greater than that called for.  The company was then disbanded.
     A fine company of Ellsworth Zouaves, had been organized at Wilmington by the efforts of some of the young men of that place, and fifty-two men were enrolled by May 31, 1861.  The officers chosen were,  J. A. Farden, captain; H. P. Foos, first lieutenant, and Robert Dillon, second lieutenant.  On this same date companies were organized and ready for service at Port William, Westboro, Sabina, Cuba, Reesville, New Vienna and Wilmington - seven in all, besides the one at Camp Dennison.  In June of that year, Charles J. Ent had a company of boys between the ages of ten to fifteen in training which he called the "Wilmington Lancers."  A number of citizens of Wilmington had also organized a rifle company and were intending to uniform and equip themselves.  They elected A. Koogle, captain; John Rutherford, first lieutenant; S. Ruion, second lieutenant, and L. B. Welch orderly sergeant.
     By direction of the state military authorities, Capt. Rodney Foos established a military camp on the fair grounds at Wilmington early in may, 1861, for the temporary reception of soldiers.  The first company assigned to it was that of Capt. Johnson, of Fayette county, which arrived previous to the 10th of that month and began regular drilling.
     From the Clinton Republican of May 10, 1861, the following interesting bit is gleaned:
     "We hereby agree to contribute the sums set opposite our names to aid and support the families of those volunteers who may be disabled or fall in defending the federal government against the assaults of traitors:

James Fife $200
W. C. Fife, $100
W. Hibben, $100
C. M. Bosworth $100
L. B. Welch $100
T. L. Carothers $100
Thomas Hibbens $50
R. B. Mory $50
Samuel Smith $50
T. R. Wraith $50
William Preston, $50
Samuel Haines, $50
J. W. Farren, $50
Eli Hadley, $50
J. Perrell, $50
Henry Babb, $25
Mahlon Wall $25
A. T. Wall, $25
David Sauders, $25
I. R. Moody, $25
Samuel Knowlton, $25
E. Doan, $25
R. E. Doan, $25
J. M. Haworth, $25
W. B. Fisher $25
W. Greer, $25
C. F. Truesdell, $25
William Reed, $25
E. S. Davis, $25
J. H. West, $25
R. Foos, $25
H. D. Sayers, $25
Levi Sheppard, $25
DaVid Fife, $25
Thomas Custis, $25
James Henry, $25
H. H. Hankins $20
B. Blazier, $50
J. F. Masters $30
Levi Bennett, $20
William Knox, $20
John Holly, $20
E. L. Lacy, $25
R. Wickersham, $25

     During the month of May, 1861, enlistments began for the three year service.  Most of the members of the Clinton county company in the Twelfth Regiment signified their willingness to re-enlist for that period.  However, it happened that a large portion of the men returned home, leaving but a small number who actually did enlist for three years.  Lieut. A. W. Doan was elected captain of the reorganized three-year company, whose numbers by June 21, had swelled to ninety-three men.  The company retained its original letter, and remained in the Twelfth Regiment.
     During the week ending July 12, 1861, a fine company of three-year men was raised at Wilmington with R. B. Harlan as captain; Asa Higgins, of New Vienna, first lieutenant; A. H. Chapman, of Wilmington, second lieutenant, and P. A. Arthur, of New Vienna, orderly sergeant.  This company, which was recruited for the eleventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, left, on its organization, for Camp Dennison, where it received arms and equipments, and soon afterward joined the regiment in western Virginia.  Capt. Robert B. Harlan, who was elected captain of the company raised for the Eleventh Regi-

[Pg. 105]
ment, stayed with his men until they left for Virginia, when he returned home, much to the regret of the men of the company; but his age was against him in the chances he must take in the field.  However, he afterwards rendered valuable service in Ohio in the matter of raising fresh troops and performing other labors that fell to his lot.
     The Clinton Republican for Aug. 2, 1861, has the following notes:  "The Clinton Grays of this place have applied for and obtained a place in the Groesbeck regiment, now at Camp Dennison, and will take their position there in a few days.  Captain Farden's zouave company, of this place, has a position in Piatt's regiment, and will soon go to it.  There is another company forming at Westboro, but whether they have a place assigned them yet or not, we do not know."
     On Aug. 9, the same paper has the following:  "Captain Koogle left this place on last Monday with a full company for Camp Dennison, to join the Groesbeck regiment at that place.  This is the second full company raised in Clinton county to serve during the war.  Besides these, a portion of Captain Down's company (B) about twenty-five in the Kentucky regiments, together with quite a number of divers other companies, were furnished by Clinton county.  Nearly all of the first company of three months men have joined the various three companies above referred to, and are now in for the war."
     Capt. George Vandergrift, a former resident of Wilmington, came to that place in the latter part of August, 1861, to recruit men for the three-year service in the Second Regiment.  Judge J. H. West was at the same time authorized to receive and forward recruits for a regiment of infantry under Colonel Worthington  At this time any competent volunteer bringing thirty-five men was given a lieutenant's commission.  It was announced on Aug. 30, that "Lafe" Johnson, also a previous resident of Wilmington, was recruiting for an artillery regiment of sixty guns, which was to be raised in Ohio.  He wanted able-bodied men for his company, which was to consist of one hundred members.  Persons desirous of joining were asked to report to Captains Harlan and Babb, or to James M. Haworth at Washington.  By Sept. 1, 1861, this county had about four hundred and ten men in the field, with other companies nearly organized and ready for departure.  A company for Colonel Worthington's regiment (the Forty-seventh), commanded by Capt. David Miller, was raised in the vicinity of Reesville, and left for Columbia, September 3.  However, on arrival it was assigned to the regiment commanded by Col. Moses B. Walker.  Another company, raised at Westboro and vicinity, was at this time with General Rosecrans.  Its officers were A. S. Bundy, captain; A. F. Denniston, first lieutenant, and C. J. Cunningham, second lieutenant.  A fine company was raised in the early part of September by Capt. Frank Spencer.  Farden's company of zouaves left for Camp Dennison, Sept. 6.  At this same time Captains Haworth and Vandergrift were recruiting in Wilmington.  On Sept. 13, Capt. Frank Spencer's company left for Camp Dennison and was assigned to the Seventeenth Regiment; on the same day a Zouave company left Blanchester.  A few days later another company, under Captain Haworth, with C. J. Ent and John Barlow for lieutenants, left for Camp Chase, near Columbus, and on its arrival it was assigned to the Fortieth Regiment.  On the 20th of the same month Vandergrift sent about thirty men to the Second Ohio Regiment at Camp Regiment, which was being formed about this time.

SOLDIERS' AID SOCIETY

     On Oct. 4, 1861, a Soldiers' Aid Society was organized at a meeting of citizens in the court house at Wilmington, with R. R. Harlan president; Rodney Foos, secretary, and Albert Hockett, treasurer.  Their object was to "relieve the wants of the families of those that have gone into the service of our country."  A board of control, consisting of A. H. Jenkins, Justus Taylor, D. S. King, T. R. Wraith and Elisha Doan was chosen; a committee was appointed to solicit subscriptions and was authorized to appoint a sub-

[Pg. 106]
committee in each school district of Union township.  A depot for the reception and distribution of contributions was established at the store of T. R. Wraith.

MILITARY COMMITTEE FOR CLINTON COUNTY

     In the early part of October the congressional committee appointed a military committee for Clinton county, which held a meeting on the 14th of the month and completed its organization by electing R. B. Harlan, president; Rodney Foos, secretary, and H. D. Sayres, treasurer.  It adopted the following resolutions:
     "Resolved, that this committee earnestly recommend to the women of this county to form circles for knitting socks and mittens, and making undergarments for the volunteers now in and soon to go into service, and report from time to time the results of their labors.
     "Resolved, that the committee use such means as they can command to procure blankets and other clothing that may be needful for our volunteers."
     On Monday evening, May 26, 1862, the receipt of a telegram from Governor Tod asking for one hundred more men from the county to join the forces which were to be sent to Washington, which was in imminent danger, caused a great furor of excitement.  The recruiting in response to this call did not progress very rapidly, while Fayette county forwarded her quota of men the morning following the receipt of the call.  On July 3, Governor Tod again issued a call for more men from Ohio in response to a call from the President.

WARP AND WOOF.

     Rev. S. A. Brewster, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Wilmington, was commissioned chaplain of the Fortieth Ohio Regiment, then at Camp Chase, and was released by the official members of his charge.
     In December, 1861, a company raised in Richland township and commanded by Capt. William Reed, left that township to join the Seventy-fourth Regiment.
     Lieutenant-colonel Parker, of the Forty-eighth Ohio, encamped near Wilmington in the latter part of December, for the purpose of raising recruits from that vicinity.
     In February, 1862, there were two recruiting offices in Wilmington.  Capt. J. J. Ennis was recruiting for the Fifty-second Regiment and enlisted about thirty men from Wilmington and Clarksville, who joined Company A, at Camp Dennison, on March 3.  In February, W. P. Reid editor of the Wilmington Watchman, was commissioned lieutenant and became a recruiting officer, W. S. Foos meantime editing the paper.
     The ladies of Wilmington organized an aid society in the fall of 1861 and in March, 1862, Mrs. Rhoda C. Morris was president and Mrs. Caroline E. Harlan, vice-president.  In March, 1862, they sent out a large box of clothing, blankets and delicacies by Lieutenant Ent to his company in the Fortieth Regiment.
     About the same time there was a "School-girls" Soldiers' Aid Society," which was very industriously engaged in collecting articles and sending them to the front.  Lizzie Work was president of this society, with Louisa Strickle, vice-president, Angie Outcalt, secretary, and Millie Hibben, treasurer.  Other societies in existence about this time that were doing self-imposed missions in a noble manner were the "Ladies' Dime Circle" and a "Ladies' Soldiers' Relief Society."
     On Feb. 12, 1862, three trains from Zanesville, loaded with troops on their way to Kentucky, passed through Wilmington.
     In July, 1862, many Clinton county men were sent with many others to Kentucky for a three months' campaign against the Confederate General Morgan, who had, by a threatened raid, frightened the people of Cincinnati and southwestern Ohio.
     Governor Tod, in July, 1862, made the appointments for a new Ohio regiment - the Seventy-ninth - of which three companies were to be raised in Clinton county.  The appointments were R. B. Hayes, colonel; R. B. Harlan, lieutenant-colonel; Rodney Foos,

[Pg. 107]
adjutant.  Colonel Hayes became the colonel of another regiment and Lieutenant-colonel Harlan never took the field.  Company officers were appointed as follows:

First company -    
I. B. Allen, of Wilmington, captain; John A. Smith, of Wilmington, first lieutenant; H. S. Doan, of Wilmington, second lieutenant;
Second company -    
J. C. Moon, of Wilmington, captain; John Harrison, of New Vienna, first lieutenant; Bryant Robison, second lieutenant.
Third company -    
G. B. Hicks of Clarksville, captain; A. H. Botkin, of Port William, first lieutenant; John Reese, of Reesville, second lieutenant.

     Recruiting was begun at once at volunteers came in rapidly.  The officers of the second company were later changed to Ethan Allen Spencer, of Wilson township, captain; Daniel  Griffin, of Richland township, first lieutenant; John Harrison of Green township, second lieutenant.

THE FIRST DRAFT.

     In the latter part of August, 1862, Governor Tod appointed R. E. Doan, commissioner to superintendent the draft in this county, with Jentha Perrill as provost marshal, Dr. J. Walker, of Wilmington, as examining surgeon, and Marion Wilkerson, of Clarksville, assistant surgeon.  Subsequently, Stephen Evans was appointed draft commissioner, and Sept. 16 set as the day on which the draft should be made, with the following apportionment:  Union township, 63; Vernon, 17; Green, 41; Wayne, 17; Washington, 12; Liberty, 17; Adams, 6; Richland, 27; Wilson, 23; Marion, 25; Jefferson, 26; Chester, 37; Clark, 23; total, 336.  The draft was postponed until Oct. 1, when the following persons were drawn:

Adams township -    
Nathan Newly,
John T. Ward,
Joseph Pennington,
Henry M. Reese,
Samuel Hutchinson,
 
Archibald Jobe,
Josiah Anders - 7
Wilson township -    
George Gray - 1    
Wayne township -    
John M. C. Wilson,
David Rollison,
Eli Mathew,
John Hoblett,
Edmund West,
Henry F. Johnson,
James M. Syfferd,
Joseph Sweetman,
Daniel Dragoo,
John Q. Adams, Jr.
John Savings,
John Butterfield,
Henry L. Lutterell,
Isaac Runnels, and
Ryden Van Pelt - 15
Washington township -    
James Skimmings,
Armonia M. Hale,
George King,
Elijah G. Ford and
William H. Floren - 5
Marion township -    
Thomas T. Sever, Jacob Burroughs and Milton A. Craft - 3
Liberty township -    
Joshua Pilcher,
Allen Beal,
Stephen Shafer,
John A. Beal,
William Almond,
James Barton,
Joseph Antram,
Ira Scott,
Thomas Linkhart,
William S. Hoblett,
Asa Oliphant,
Calvin H. Antram,
John Rankin and
John Cline - 14
Green township -    
Washington Spears,
Salathiel Harris,
John W. Beam,
Valentine Cox,
Joel Sanderson,
Michael Swingley,
John R. Holmes and
George W. Mory - 8
Chester township -    
Lawson M. Lafetra,
Robert Reeves,
Washington Nagles,
Nathan McKay,
Amos Mills,
William Q. Hurton,
Richard Williams,
Jeremiah Jeffries,
Samuel P. Bailey,
James Austin,
Emory H. McMillan,
Philip Mills,
Edward Evans,
John Mendenhall,
James Jay,
Amos Haines,
William H. Ferguson,
Joshua, Lucas,
James Mannon,
William Lister,
Robert Carr,
Clarkson McMillan, and
Nathan Kirk - 23
Union township -    
Michael O'Donnell,
William J. Rouch,
William Woods,
Frederick Wgeman,
Thomas W. Gaskill,
Eli Thompson,
Alfred C. Antram,
Jesse H. Stout,
James C. Boyd,
George L. Fallis,
Jesse Woods,
Jacob Thompson,
John Davis,
William Smith,
John M. Kirk,
 
John Mussetter,
Alfred Wilson,
John Conway,
James Wilson,
James Thompson,
Nathan Starbuck and
William Welch - 22

     Many of the above secured substitutes, to whom they paid from three to five hundred dollars each.  The drafted men left for Camp Dennison Oct. 6, 1862.

[Pg. 108]

CINCINNATI THREATENED.

     On Sept. 3, 1862, rumors arrived over the telegraph that Cincinnati was in imminent danger of attack by a large force of Confederate troops approaching through Kentucky.  The alarm spread rapidly and the week ending Sept. 11 saw Wilmington and the entire county in great excitement.  A meeting was called, to be held in the court house.  The bells were rung.  Posters were printed and widely circulated, calling on the citizens of the county to assemble at Wilmington the following day, bringing with them all kinds of available fire-arms for the purposes of organizing volunteer companies to be rushed to the defense of Cincinnati.  Runners were sent over the county and the news papers issued calls to arms.  On the morning of the next day an immense gathering of people assembled at Wilmington, the men armed with squirrel rifles, shot guns, muskets, etc.  The boys were just as eager as their elders to do their share and asked to be enrolled.  A all for volunteers was issued and in the forenoon four hundred and five men stepped forward.  A special train was offered by the railroad company and at six o'clock, having been organized into companies about an hour before, they left for Cincinnati.  They were officered as follows:

     First company -

John Q. Smith, captain; Leroy Pope, first lieutenant; John A. Smith, second lieutenant;

     Second company -

David Brown, captain; Elon B. Ward, first lieutenant; John W. Curtis, second lieutenant;

     Third company -

Mahlon Wall, captain; William C. Wilson, first lieutenant; Samuel Rulon, second lieutenant

     Fourth company -

A. E. Steele, captain; Christopher Ronemus, first lieutenant; M. P. Early, second lieutenant

     These companies were all formed at Wilmington.  A fifth, raised at Blanchester, had as its officers,

John K. Trickey, captain; Joseph Kelsey, first lieutenant;

     They all proceeded to Cincinnati, where they were formed into a battalion.  On arrival there they were sent to a position a few miles south of the city in Kentucky; but after a few days, they were sent home the Rebels failing to put in their appearance.  These volunteers became known in history as the "squirrel hunters."
     In May, 1863, eighteen of the colored citizens of the city of Wilmington (Erasmus Bennett, John Joels, James A. Rickman, Davis Adams, Nathaniel Stewart, O. S. Hightower, Levi Green, William Barber, William H. Thomas, Joseph Mace, A. Thomas, Jordan Robinson, Albert T. Felter, Seth C. Felter, Samuel Hill, Richard Jones, Simon Ratcliffe and Charles Chatman) volunteered in a Massachusetts colored regiment under a recruiting officer, who arrived in Wilmington on the evening of May 15.

THE SECOND DRAFT.

     In the summer of 1863, a new militia law in Ohio required that every able-bodied man in the state between the ages of eighteen and forty-five should either enroll himself in a militia company or pay a certain sum of money.  Five years' service rendered each man exempt from further duty under the law.  In June of that year, after a call from the President, it became necessary to raise men in Ohio to service six months, and three companies were to come from Clinton county.  The townships were formed into military districts, and in Clinton county the following company officers were elected:

     Union township,

first district -
Morris Harlan, captain; Lewis C. Walker, first lieutenant; John Rutherford, second lieutenant;
Second district -
William Frazer, captain; B. Leonard, first lieutenant; William H. Reed, second lieutenant.
Third district -
Henry S. Doan, captain; John K. Spencer, first lieutenant; Joseph Doan, second lieutenant.
Fifth district -
John M. Underwood, captain; Lewis Boots, first lieutenant; William E. Parker, second lieutenant.

     Liberty township,

first district -
James H. Hart, captain; Reese Stephens, first lieutenant; Cyrus Johnson, second lieutenant.
Second district -
Tilghman McKay, captain; A. C. Hiatt, first lieutenant; J. C. Cohagen, second lieutenant.

     Chester township,

first district -
Benjamin Collett, captain; John Middleton, first lieutenant; C. H. Van Tress, second lieutenant

[Pg. 109]

Second district -
H. C. Colvin, captain; J. Blair, first lieutenant; M. M. Collett, second lieutenant.

     Adams township,

first district -
J. M. Gorrelle, captain; P. R. Osborn, first lieutenant; S. Denney, second lieutenant

     Jefferson township

first district,  
C. J. Cunningham, captain; John T. Hammer, first lieutenant; George Hudson, second lieutenant.
Second district -
J. d. Hodson, captain; J. T. Jackson, first lieutenant; G. R. Jackson, second lieutenant.

     Clark township,

first district -  
Finley Moon, captain; George R. Moon, first lieutenant; J. P. Langden, second lieutenant.

     Marion township,

first district -
C. P. Baldwin, captain; Joseph Garrison, first lieutenant; S. G. Clark, second lieutenant.
Second district,
Henry C. Smith, captain; Andrew J. Hodson, first lieutenant; J. M. Gustin, second lieutenant.

     Vernon township,

first district -
Eli Hadley, captain; David Mann, first lieutenant; D. A. Kelly, second lieutenant.
Second district -
John M. Villars, captain; T. H. Townsend, first lieutenant; E. Cast, second lieutenant.

     Washington township,

first district,
Samuel Briggs, captain; Daniel Stephenson, first lieutenant; Frank Mitchel, second lieutenant
Second district -
William Clevenger, captain; Philip Smith, first lieutenant; Clark Brown, second lieutenant.

     Wilson township,

first district -
Ethan A. Spencer, captain; M. P. Early, first lieutenant; O. B. Carroll, second lieutenant
Second district -
William Pope, captain; I. C. Williams, first lieutenant; B. Brewer, second lieutenant.

     Richland township,

first district -
H. H. Thorp, captain; Thomas Glass, first lieutenant; John Kenny, second lieutenant.
Second district -
C. Rhonemus, captain; William Ross, first lieutenant; Lewis Bigley, second lieutenant.

     Wayne township,

first district -
J. Stout, captain; B. Davis, first lieutenant; J. Runels, second lieutenant.
Second district -
James E. Pidgeon, captain; William H. Strode, first lieutenant; James Babb, second lieutenant.

     Green township,

first district -
Joshua Hussey, captain; Granville Osborn, first lieutenant; W. W. Barnes, second lieutenant.
Second district -
Thomas Elliott, captain; Elijah Mathews, second lieutenant; M. Swingley, second lieutenant.
Third district -
William C. Wilson, captain; James V. Raynald, first lieutenant; Newton Shoemaker, second lieutenant.

THE SECOND MORGAN SCARE.

     About the time the officers above mentioned were appointed to their respective places (July, 1863), news arrived that the Confederate General Morgan was pushing his way rapidly through Indiana toward Cincinnati on his famous raid.  With this news came Governor Tod's proclamation calling out the militia, and on Monday morning, July 13, they gathered, about one thousand strong, at the county seat ready to be transported to camp.  A few companies took cars at Reesville, Sabina and Sligo.  One company, under the command of Capt. Eli Hadley, leaving Clarksville on an early morning train, was captured by Morgan before they reached camp and before they received arms.  They were hastily paroled,  the track torn up and the train thrown.  The rebels pushed eastward through Williamsburg to Georgetown.  The remaining companies did not reach Camp Dennison until Wednesday; but on Tuesday, while they were waiting transportation, a cavalry troop was hastily organized and sent off southwestwardly on a scouting expedition.  But Morgan was soon afterward captured and thrown into prison.
     A short time afterward four companies of volunteer militia were organized in the county, and formed by the adjutant-general of the state into a battalion called the Fifty-fifth.  On the last day of August, 1863, H. Hankins, of Company A, was elected lieutenant-colonel of the battalion.  The three militia regiments of the county elected their officers as follows:

First regiment -    
H. S. Doan, colonel;
H. b. Crumley, lieutenant-colonel;
Alfred McKay, major.
   
Second regiment -    
A. F. Deniston, colonel;
David Mann, lieuenant colonel;
   

 

[Pg. 110]

Owen West, major;    
Third regiment -    
E. A. Spencer, colonel;
James Pidgeon, lieutenant-colonel;
_____ Matthews, major.
   

     By the 3rd of March, 1863, Clinton county has had a total of one thousand one hundred and eight volunteers in actual service, which included one thousand and thirty in various infantry regiments, thirty-one in the cavalry, and forty-seven miscellaneous - gun-boat service, etc.  The different townships of the county were represented in numbers as follows:  Union, 186; Chester and Adams, 99; Liberty, 90; Vernon, Marion and Jefferson, 217; Clark and Washington, 171; Green and Wayne, 188; Richland and Wilson, 157; total, 1,108.
     On the call of the President for three hundred thousand men in the full of 1863, the quota of the sixth congressional district of Ohio was 1,624 men, of which Clinton county's share was 284, apportioned among the townships as follows:  Union, 51, Chester, 20; Liberty, 18; Vernon, 18; Jefferson, 14; Clark, 27; Washington, 17; Green, 36; Adams, 14; Wayne, 18; Richland, 21; Wilson, 15.  Each new recruit was offered a bounty of three hundred and two dollars and premium, while veterans were entitled to one hundred dollars more.
     About sixty cords of wood were brought by the farmers of the township to Wilmington on Monday, Jan. 11, 1864, and distributed among the families of soldiers living in the place.  About forty citizens who had no wood to contribute, gave a dollar each and joined with the farmers in a bountiful feast at Clinton Hall.
     In January, 1864, Capt. T. Q. Hildebrant, Capt. J. M. Underwood and Capt. Joshua Hussey were appointed recruiting officers for the county, and, about Feb. 1, Lieut. Joseph J. Wakefield began recruiting a company in the county for the Twenty-seventh Regiment of United States Colored Troops.  In its issue of Mar. 18, 1864, the Clinton Republican says that Captain Williamson of the Seventy-ninth, was in town recruiting sharpshooters for his company.
     In the spring of 1864, under alls from the President, aggregating seven hundred thousand men, the total quota of Clinton county was four hundred and eighty-seven, and, after deducting the credits for veterans and new recruits up to April 2, there yet remained to be raised three hundred and sixty-three.  Adams township was the first to fill her quota and was congratulated on the fact by the provost marshal.  Governor Brough (who had been elected the previous fall) called into active service for one hundred days the militia of the state, which had been organized as the Ohio National Guard, under an act passed Mar. 31, 1864.  Four hundred and forty-three of the four hundred and eighty-six companies in the state responded to the call, including four from Clinton county constituting the Fifty-fifth Battalion.  The Fifty-fifth Battalion was later consolidated with a battalion from Highland county and, together, they formed the Twenty-seventh Regiment of Ohio National Guards.  The command left Camp Dennison May 4, 1864, and proceeded to West Virginia.  At Columbus, Ohio, soon afterward, the Clinton county battalion was consolidated with one from Ross county, the two together being known as the One Hundred and Forty-ninth Regiment, eight hundred and fifty strong, commanded by Col. A. E. Brown.  They were sent Washington, saw severe service in Virginia, and returned home at the expiration of their term of enlistment.

THE THIRD DRAFT.

     On May 18, 1864, a draft was made in Clinton county affecting all the townships except Chester, Adams and Liberty, which had furnished their respective quotas.  The numbers from the other townships were:  Union, 68; Vernon, 10; Marion, 3; Jefferson, 7; Clark, 25; Washington, 23; Wilson, 26; Green, 4, and numbers from other townships not given in the report from which this is taken.  A second draft took place June 14, to supply the places of those persons who had been excused from the previous draft became of disability, and at that time Union township furnished 13; Wilson, 6; Washington, 4; Clark, 2, and Vernon, 2.

[Pg. 111]
     The time of the Twelfth Ohio Volunteer Regiment was out in July, 1864, and those who did not re-enlist returned to Ohio and were mustered out.  Many of the Clinton county members remained in the service.
     A war meeting was held in Wilmington on July 16, 1864, to devise means of raising volunteers for the army in order that another draft, then impending, should not be necessary in the county.  It was resolved that the trustees of the townships should be requested to borrow sufficient funds to enable them to pay each volunteer one hundred dollars and that a tax should be levied on the property on the townships to liquidate the debt.  On the 18th of July, President Lincoln called for five hundred thousand men, who should be drafted to serve one year.  Ohio's share under this call was twenty-five regiments, and of this, about four hundred and fifty men were to come from Clinton county.  A draft took place on September 26, to fill the quota.  Under another call from the President on December 19, 1864, for three hundred thousand men, the net quota of Clinton county was placed at two hundred and six.
     But the great war was almost over now and the land rejoiced, though the rejoicing was dimmed by the news that the President was assassinated.
     The first of the regiments to return was the Seventy-ninth, it arriving on the evening of June 17.  The men of the regiment were met with a royal welcome and a great feast prepared by the ladies of Wilmington.  The two banners which had been carried to the field by the regiment thirty-four months before were brought back, scarred and torn in battle, their colors dimmed - their sacred tatters standing in evidence of stormy and deadly strife.  This regiment had gone into the field originally with nine hundred  men, had received four hundred recruits, and returned at the close of the war with but few over four hundred men.
     The Clinton county members of the One Hundred and Seventy-fifth and the Seventy-fourth regiments returned in July.
     Three general officers by brevet were furnished by Clinton county, namely, Azariah W. Doan, John C. Moon and George M. Zeigler.  Azariah W. Doan volunteered in the spring of 1861, in the Twelfth Ohio (three months) Infantry and on June 12, of the same year was promoted to captain.  He resigned Oct. 18, 1861, and on Aug. 19, 1862, he was appointed lieutenant-colonel of the Seventy-ninth Ohio.  He served with great credit to the close of the war, and was promoted to colonel July 8, 1865, but was mustered out as lieutenant-colonel.  After the close of the war he was breveted brigadier-general of volunteers, to date from Mar. 13, 1865.  John C. Moon, in June, 1862, raised Company F, of the Eighty-fifth Regiment, three-months men, that being the only company of that enlistment containing men from Clinton county.  Captain Moon was commissioned captain in the Eighty-eighth Ohio on Sept. 24, 1862, and most of the men of the old company re-enlisted under him.  In the fall of 1863, he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the One Hundred and Eighteenth United States Colored troops, and was subsequently promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the One Hundred and Eighteenth United States Colored troops, and was subsequently promoted to colonel.  He continued in the service until some time in 1866, and was breveted brigadier-general of volunteers, to date from Nov. 21, 1865.  He was the only one of the three to have the honor of brevet rank conferred upon upon them while still in the service.  George M. Zeigler was commissioned second lieutenant in the Forty-seventh Ohio Infantry Aug. 28, 1861; was promoted to first lieutenant Dec. 6, 1861; to captain Dec. 28, 1862, and to colonel of the Fifty-second Regiment United States Colored Troops, Dec. 22, 1864.  His brevet rank as brigadier-general dates from mar. 13, 1865.

ELEVENTH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY.

     The Eleventh Ohio Regiment was formed of men from Miami, Clinton, Hamilton, Montgomery and Columbiana counties.  Company G of this regiment was raised in Clinton county.  The regiment was mustered into the three-months service at Camp Dennison,

[Pg. 112]
in April, 1861.  It was re-organized and mustered into the service for three years on June 20, and on the 7th of July was ordered to the Kanawha valley in Virginia.  Arriving at Point Pleasant, July 11, it was attached to the Kanawha division under the command of Gen. J. D. Cox.  Through the winter that followed the regiment was actively engaged only a portion of the time.  In August, 1862, the regiment was ordered to Washington, thence to Manassas Junction to oppose a rebel force and for the next few days were sharply engaged.  Whitelaw Reid, in his history of "Ohio in the War," tells the story of the next few days in this manner:  "The rebels were posted on the banks of the Monocacy, holding the bridge across the stream.  Three attacking columns were formed, with the Eleventh in the center of the advance, and advanced against the rebels.  The center column gained the bridge and drove the enemy from it.  A charge was ordered but the line was thrown into some confusion, and the rebels rallied and captured two pieces of artillery.  General Cox called to Colonel Coleman:  "Will the Eleventh recover those guns?'  With a loud cheer, the regiment dashed at the rebels, drove them from the guns and still pressed on, cheering and charging, advancing into the city, and only halting when the enemy were completely routed.  That night the Kanawha division bivouacked near the city, and by the evening of the next day advanced to Catoctin creek near Middletown, the Eleventh being posted near the bridge."  The regiment took part in the battle of South Mountain, and at Antietam lost their gallant Colonel Coleman, who fell mortally wounded while leading his men against a strong rebel position, which they carried after his fall.
     The command was transferred to Nashville, Tennessee, in January, 1862, and, after numerous minor expeditions, was, on June 27, assigned to General Reynolds' Third Division of Gen. George H. Thomas' Fourteenth Army Corps.  It saw plenty of hard service henceforth, and, on the 18th and 19th of September, at Chickamauga, suffered severely.  At Lookout Mountain and Mission Ridge it distinguished itself greatly and during the charge on the ridge captured one battle-flag and a quantity of artillery and small arms.  After pushing the enemy toward Ringgold, and engaging him at Ringgold, the regiment returned to Chattanooga.  In a charge on Buzzard Roost, the regiment lost one-sixth of its men and was compelled to fall back.  The surviving veterans, about two hundred in number, returned to Ohio March, 2,6, 1864, for the purpose of recruiting.  The regiment then engaged in doing garrison duty at Ringgold until June 10, when it proceeded by way of Cincinnati to Camp Dennison, and was mustered out at the latter place June 21, 1864.
     The roster of
Company G, which was raised in Clinton county, follows:

Captain, Robert B. Harlan;
First Lieutenant, Asa Higgins (promoted to Captain);
Second Lieutenant, A. H. Chapmans (promoted to captain);
First sergeant, P. A. Arthur (promoted to captain);
Sergeants,    
Henry B. Crumley,
Phocion B. Way and
Michael Long;
   
Corporals,    
Elsworth G. Rizer (promoted to sergeant),
Charles F. Atkinson, (promoted to first sergeants),
William R. Gillespie,
John R. Dixson (died in service),
John B. Roberts (died in service),
Philip R. Osborn,
Ephraim S. Cline, and
Austin Hildebrant (promoted to fifth sergeant);
Musician,    
Dallas L. L. Hust;    
Privates,    
Joshua R. Arnold,
Robt. Alexander (promoted to first corporal),
Thomas G. Allison,
Andrew J. Brown,
Stephen F. Bundy,
Thomas Conway,
Benjamin F. Clark (promoted corporal),
James H. Channel, died in service,
James V. R. Crosson,
John Conner,
Harry F. Conklin,
John P. Collier,
Samuel S. Dunham,
Simon Driscoll,
William B. Devore,
James W. Eaton,
Edward Foos,
John J. Harris (promoted corporal),
James A. Harrison (prisoner),
Morris Harlan,
John D. Hicks (missing),
Thomas F. Hallam,
Levi H. Huff (prisoner),
John R. Harvey (killed in action),
Daniel Jacks,
William Jacks,
Thomas E. Johnson,
John A. Johnson,
Joseph Juvenile,
Henry G. Keenan (killed),
James W. Kellis,
Willis M. Kills,
George Leverton,
Henry Long,
David Love,
Morgan Lupton (promoted corporal),
David Lyon, (promoted corporal),
Manasa Martin (prisoner),
Charles Martin,
William H. Martin,

[Pg. 113]

James M. McDaniel,
William M. Moon,
Richard S. Moore (promoted corporal),
James K. Morris (prisoner),
Samuel Marks,
Sampson Orr,
James A. Nunn,
Amos Pennington,
Samuel Phillips,
Anthony Rapp,
John L. Richards (promoted corporal),
Andrew O. Rhonemus (promoted first sergeant),
Samuel Richards,
George H. Roberts,
Elias Roberts,
Andrew J. Remington,
Michael Rone,
Charles Richards,
Joseph Smith,
Samuel A. Savage,

Amos T. Sewell,
J. G. Smithson,
Silas Spencer,
Harvey H. Stivens,
Francis M. Tillinghurst (wounded),
Francis M. Underwood,
Alfred J. Villars (prisoner),
Isaiah Wilkerson (promoted sergeant),
John Zettner;
Recruits:    
Solomon Hall (prisoner),
Joseph W. Smith,
Obed, E. Wain,
James Wallace,
John Main,
William H. Wright

TWELFTH OHIO VOLUNTEER INFANTRY.

 
 
 

 

[Pg. 114]

 
 
 

 

THE SEVENTEENTH OHIO REGIMENT.

 
 
 

 

THE TWENTY-FIFTH OHIO REGIMENT

     The Twenty-fifth Regiment was organized at Camp Chase, June 28, 1861, and saw service first in Virginia, afterwards in the Gettysburg campaign and the movements of the Eleventh Corps.  Its men re-enlisted as veterans in January, 1864, and moved from Alexandria, Virginia, to Hilton Head, south Carolina.  Its subsequent operations were in that region.  It was mustered out and discharged at Columbus, Ohio, on June 18, 1866, after five years of hard service.

THE TWENTY-SEVENTH OHIO REGIMENT.

     The Twenty-seventh Regiment was organized at Camp Chase in August, 1861; left for St. Louis, Missouri, on the 20th of that month, and saw service with the Army of the West through all seven of the campaigns of the latter.  It was discharged at Camp Dennison in July, 1865.

THE THIRTY-FIRST OHIO REGIMENT.

     The Thirty-first Regiment was mustered into the service at Camp Chase, near Columbus, Ohio.  On Sept. 30, 1861, it left Cincinnati and went to Camp Dick Robinson, in Kentucky, where it was subjected to a thorough course of drill.  Its cam

[Pg. 115]

 
 
 

 

 

THE THIRTY-NINTH OHIO REGIMENT.

 
 
 

 

[Pg. 116]

Francis F. Rockhill,
J. H. Rudraw (promoted sergeant)
Milton Seal (promoted corporal)
James Stratton,
Joseph F. Smith,
Abram M. Strode,
William O. Strode,
Daniel H. Sayrs,
Louis C. Shepherd,
J. B. Shepherd (promoted sergeant; died in the service),
Edward W. Shepherd,
Warren Shidaker (killed in action),
Henry Taylor,
Joseph A. Vanpelt,
Robert D. Wall,
Alfred Van Tress (promoted corporal),
Henry Wollery.

THE FORTIETH OHIO REGIMENT.

     The organization of the Fortieth Regiment was completed at Camp Chase, Dec. 7, 1861, and four days later the troops left for Kentucky.  It subsequently saw service in Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee and Georgia.  Company B, of this regiment, commanded by Capt. James M. Haworth, was raised in Clinton county.  Captain Haworth resigned, Feb. 7, 1863, and in Oct. 7, 1864, his company, with Companies A, C, and D, was mustered out.  The remainder of the regiment shared the fortunes of the Fourth Corps in the maneuvers against the Confederate General Hood, and, in December, 1864, the regiment was consolidated with the Fifty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, proceeded to New Orleans, and thence to Texas, and was finally mustered out Dec. 3, 1865.  Company B, of this regiment, was organized at Wilmington, from September to November, 1861.  Its roster follows:

Captain, James M. Haworth;
First lieutenant, Charles J. Ent;
Second lieutenant, John J. Barlow;
First sergeant, James R. Nickerson;

Sergeants,    
Ewing M. Wickersham, Thomas McVey, Jerome Smith and Lansing R. Moody;
Corporals,    
Daniel, J. Collett, Jasse N. Oren, William M. Waln, Robert E. LaFetra, Portra Van Tress, Isaac Doan, Henry C. Cowgill and Jacob H. Allen;
Fifer,    
William H. Buntan;
Wagoner,    
Johnson Crawford;
Privates,    
Samuel J. Arnold,
Joshua Beavins,
Henry Borting,
James M. Barton,
Alpheus Babb,
James E. Beck ford,
James A. Barnes,
Joseph M. Carter,
William R. Carver,
David F. Conklin,
David Conklin,
Josiah Clark,
William Campbell,
George W. Daniels,
Joseph B. Daniels,
Joseph N. Dean,
Archibald Edwards,
Eli Ellis,
Nathaniel Edward,
Hale Elwood,
John W. Ellis,
Henry Gutterg,
Maron Griffith,
Jacob A. Hoover,
Jacob H. Haines,
George S. Hodgson,
Silas Hart,
Marshall Hyatt,
Jacob C. Hendershot,
William H. H. Hunnicutt,
Charles Holliway,
John M. Hallam,
Seymour Reed,
Paul C. Vandervort,
Nathaniel Wooley,
J. B. Wain,
William I. Wilson,
Calvin Wollery,
J. A. Wain,
Joshua Wood,
Absalom Wall,
Ferdinand Haug,
Elias Harlan,
Silas P. Hawk,
David W. Hendershot,
George Jenkins,
Isaiah Kizer,
Evans J. Leavis,
Clarkson Lytle,
Stephen Leake,
Barney Lucky,
Samuel J. Morrow,
William H. Morris,
Harrison W. McFadden,
William H. Miller,
William H. Middleton,
William Z. McGrudin,
John M. Mills,
Francis Moony,
Michael I. Mahan,
John F. Mitchell,
George W. D. Mills,
Joseph M. Newman,
John Owens,
George M. O'Neal,
James B. O'Neal,
Edward N. Pugh,
Joshua R. Peebles,
Robert K. Robbinson,
Joseph C. Railey,
William Rix,
Miles Reeder,
Levi P. Sheppard,
James L. Young,
John C. Young,
Joshua L. Yeo,
W. H. Yeo,
L. M. Thatcher,
Alf. Vandervort,
S. W. Vestal,
W. M. Main

THE FORTY-THIRD OHIO REGIMENT.

     This regiment was organized at various place in the state of Ohio at large from September to December, 1861, to serve three years.  On the expiration of its term of service, the original members (except veterans) were mustered out and the organization, composed of veterans and recruits, was retained in service until July 13, 1865, when it was mustered out of the service by the order of the war department.  The following privates were members of Company A of this regiment and their homes were in Clinton county:     

Henry Brown, missing;
Benjamin F. Brooks
, missing;
John S. Clark, missing;
James Hobbs
, missing;
Charles A. Littleton, missing;
John Madden.

 

THE FORTY-FOURTH, FORTY-SIXTH AND FORTY-SEVENTH OHIO REGIMENTS.

     The Forty-fourth Regiment was organized near Springfield, Ohio, in the summer and fall of 1861; the Forty-sixth, recruited at Washington, Franklin county,, in September, 1861; and the Forty-seventh, organized near Cincinnati in the summer of 1861, all had

[Pg. 117]

 
 
 

 

THE FIFTY-FOURTH OHIO REGIMENT

 
 
 

 

THE SIXTY-FIRST OHIO REGIMENT.

 
 
 

[Pg. 118]

THE SEVENTY-FOURTH OHIO REGIMENT.

 
 
 

 

THE SEVENTY-NINTH OHIO REGIMENT.

 
 
 

 

[Pg. 119]

 
 
 

 

[Pg. 120]

 
 
 

 

 

 

EIGHTY-SEVENTH REGIMENT.

     This regiment was organized and mustered into the three-months' service at Camp Chase, Ohio, in June, 1862.  It was mustered out of the service Oct. 1, 1862, at Camp Delaware, Ohio.  Its members from Clinton county were:  Corporal L. Snowden; privates, Charles B. Ashcroft, William B. Britton, George Creek, Benjamin Foos, James

[Pg. 122]
C. Gray, Alpheus H. Jones, Isaac H. Johnson, John L. Moon, George R. Marshall, Enoch W. McMillen, William McKean, Mark L. Pierson.

COMPANY F, EIGHTY-EIGHTH REGIMENT.

     This company was mustered into service July 29, 1863, at Camp Chase, Ohio, and was mustered out July 3, 1865, by order of the war department. 

First lieutenant, John V. Claxton;
second Lieutenant, James M. Winpigler;
second sergeants:    
Jesse W. Moore,
Reuben P. Moore (promoted hospital steward,
Alonzo Hendee and
Sylvester Nordyke;
first corporal, Samuel L. L. Spers (promoted sergeant;
second corporal, Noah Hyatt (promoted to fifth sergeant);
third corporal, Daniel Carey;
fifth corporal, Charles R. Davis (promoted to fourth sergeant);
Privates,    
Joseph M. Andrews,
John H. Brunson,
Jehiel Brown,
Daniel Brown,
Daniel C. Bailey,
William E. Brown,
Webster Crawford,
Newton Davis,
James Frazier,
Eli Frazier,
John N. Garnere,
Morris Davis,
Alpheus Holmes,
James W. Holmes,
William E. Holmes,
George W. Holmes,
Henry R. Hammer,
David Holoday,
Lewis Hockett,
William P. Hammer,
Amos G. Hammer,
William P. Hockett,
Jeremiah R. Haines,
Lewis A. Hammer,
Henry Hidebrant,
Henry Johnson,
Thomas W. Johnson,
John W. James,
Holmes Luttrill,
John E. Lazenby,
John W. Melson,
James M. McKibben,
Milton W. Moon,
John R. Moon,
Joseph H. Moon,
Milton Morgan,
Jesse McKinzie,
William R. Michaels,
Andrew McGregor,
Solomon Nordyke,
Benjamin Nordyke,
David Pobst,
Philip H. Quigley,
Joseph H. Rex,
John W. Simpson,
John B. Snodgrass,
Jonah Seaman,
Hannibal Skinner,
George Seaman,
Ephraim Smith,
James M. Templin,
William Thatcher,
David Thornbill,
Lewis Treadway,
Thomas Wilson,
Jacob Whistler,
Eli Williams,
James A. Williams,
Lewis Williams.

COMPANY B, OR, BATTALION GOVERNOR'S GUARDS.

    Company B was originally one of a battalion of four companies, organized at Camp Chase, Ohio, from September 24 to October 27, 1862, to serve three years and was designated as the First Battalion Governor's Guards.  Six new companies were organized at Camp Chase from July 24 to August 3, 1863, to serve three years and consolidated with this battalion, and designated the Eighty-eighth Ohio Volunteers.  It was mustered out of service on July 3, 1865, by order of the department of war.  The following was its roster: 

Captain, John C. Moore (promoted lieutenant-colonel and colonel and brevet brigadier-general);

First sergeant,    
John V. Claxton (promoted first lieutenant);
Sergeant,    
Harlan F. Walker (promoted first lieutenant and quartermaster);
First Corporal,    
Thomas Babb (promoted sergeant);
Corporals,    
D. W. C. Patrick (promoted first lieutenant and adjutant),
Turner Goesett,
Charles Custis,
Emanuel Crick,
William Holmes, and
B. F. Randall;
   
Musician,    
John W. Gassett;    
Privates,    
George W. Broomhall,
Henry Barber,
Isaac N. Bundy, (promoted first lieutenant),
Wyatt Botts,
Charles J. Conner,
Peter Conner,
Jesse Conner,
Jacob Campbell,
J. W. Culberson,
Parker Flores,
J. B. Garner,
James Glanden,
Thomas B. Grubbs,
William Gossett,
Joseph P. Gossett,
Charles Hamilton,
H. N. Hilderbrant,
Jesse Hags,
F. F. Ham,
William Hadley,
Thomas B. Johnson,
George W. King,
Jacob Moon,
George Mitchell,
Thomas O'Neal,
John J. Owsley,
George Rains,
James Rambo (promoted corporal),
Thomas Riley,
James Snider,
J. D. Smith,
J. H. Smith,
Loarmin Smith,
J. H. Seaman,
Ham. Shewalters,
William A. Shepard,
Allen Tremble,
Lewis Ward.

ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-EIGHTY REGIMENT

     Several men from this county enlisted in the One Hundred and Twenty-eighth Regiment, which was placed on duty guarding rebel prisoners at Johnson's Island, in Lake Erie.

THE ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY-NINTH REGIMENT, OHIO NATIONAL GUARD.

     The One Hundred and Forty-ninth Regiment of Ohio National Guard was organized and mustered into the service at Camp Dennison, May 8, 1864.  It was composed of the Fifty-fifth Battalion.  Ohio National Guards, of Clinton county, and the Twenty-seventh

[Pg. 123]
Regiment, Ohio National Guards, of Ross county.  It was enlisted in the federal service for one hundred days and left Ohio for Baltimore, Maryland, May 11, 1864.  It remained on duty at the various forts and stations about the city of Baltimore until May 29, when it was ordered to the eastern shore of Maryland and distributed at various points.  From the history by Whitlaw Reid we find that "about the Fourth of July the regiment was ordered to Monocacy Junction, and on the evening of the 8th it took position on the extreme right of General Wallace's army, at the stone bridge, on the Baltimore and Frederick pike.  Early in the forenoon of the 9th, the regiment's skirmish line was attacked, and the fight continued until late in the evening, when the regiment was compelled to fall back, though not until the left of the line had given way and the regiment was nearly surrounded.  When a retreat was ordered, General Tyler, the brigade commander, directed in One Hundred and Forty-ninth to hold the bridge until the last extremity, in order to secure the safety of the army."  In this engagement the regiment suffered the loss of about thirty killed and wounded and over one hundred prisoners.  However, many of the latter were recaptured the next day by General Hunter's  cavalry, at Frederick, and some made their escape; but when the regiment was mustered out, sixty-seven of its men were in rebel prisons, and some of them died there.  After having seen more hard service than usually fell to the lot of hundred-day troops, the regiment returned to Ohio, August 20, 1864, and was mustered out.  The roster follows:

Captain,    
 - William C. Wilson;    
First Lieutenant,    
 - James V. Rammels;    
Second Lieutenant,    
 - Newton Shoemaker;    
Sergeants,    
Edwin Shockley,
John M. Johnson,
James J. Gregory,
Edward P. Bond and
George S. Haymee;
Corporals,    
George Lawhead,
Henry Lieuellen,
John Eachus,
William T. Wheeler,
Mahlon Russell,
John Boring,
John McWilliams,
Robert R. Mitchell,
Joseph Woodmancy and
Daniel Penner;
Privates,    
Henry C. Aithy,
George Brewer,
Alfred Bloom,
Griffin Baker,
George Bloom,
Joseph Boring,
Henry Boring,
John D. Clement,
Nathan Cook,
Martin Clevenger,
George W. Canney,
Franklin Craig (killed),
James Curtis,
Franklin Crick,
James W. Campbell,
Joseph Cottrell,
James Dillon,
Thomas Devers,
Thomas Derby,
Seneca Dennis,
James Dabe,
Squire Eachus,
James V. Ellis,
James H. Feener,
Mabury Freed,
George Fisher,
William Fenner,
William Fisher,
James Fisher,
Amos Farquhar,
Robert W. Gregory
William Hallam,
Oliver F. Hoover,
Howard Hansell,
Thomas Hoolon,
John Hearn,
Edward Hubbell,
William Hendee,
Tobias Hamilton,
Uriah Hunt,
Milton Hornell,
Harvey Hunt,
Jeremiah Jeffries,
Henry C. Johnson,
Jesse Kirk,
John W. Lawhead,
George Lieurance,
John Lieurance,
David Lieurance,
David Lyon,
James Linton,
Milton Lafetra,
Eli Mathews,
James McVey,
Richard Morton,
Arthur Mitchell,
John Middleton,
E. P. McDonald,
James McKinzie,
Samuel S. Miller,
Thomas A. Moore,
William H. Mann,
Judiah H. McMillen,
Harvey McKenzie,
Naaman Noftsgher,
William J. Pond,
George D. Pond,
Jesse W. Pond,
Benjamin Pritchard,
Levi Pierson,,
(Thaddeus) H. (Ellison) Roberts,
Thomas G. Rannells,
Jonathan Rockhill,
James Rees,
Alfred Spencer,
Daniel P. Slate,
Harvey Spencer,
Joshua Stackhouse,
Albert Stackhouse,
Jesse Stackhouse,
Isaac A. Smith,
Elbert Thorn,
Samuel Sherbill,
Curtis Sabin,
Paul Vanderburg,
William Tupes,
Robert B. Walker,
Asa Walker,
Elijah T. Walker,
David T. White.

THE ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY-FIFTH REGIMENT.

     The One Hundred and Seventy-fifth Regiment was organized and mustered into the service for one year at Camp Dennison, Ohio, Oct. 11, 1864.  It contained two companies from Clinton county, commanded by Capts. W. P. Wolf and A. F. Deniston.
    
This regiment was ordered to Columbia, Tennessee, where it performed post and garrison duty in the town, and was also engaged in guarding the Tennessee & Alabama railroad.  In the advance of Hood, one of the regiment's outposts, south of Columbia, failing to receive orders, made a strong resistance, but was captured, while the remainder

[Pg. 124]
of the regiment fell back to Franklin.  The One Hundred and Seventy-fifth was temporarily assigned to the Third Brigade, Third Division, Twenty-third Army Corps, and was placed on the left of the center in reserve.  In one of the enemy's charges, a veteran regiment gave way in utter confusion, and, though the One Hundred and Seventy-fifth had never been under fire, over an open field, it drove the rebels back, gained the works and held them, repelling charge after charge.  In this engagement the regiment suffered heavily, losing one hundred and sixty-one officers and men killed, wounded and missing, among them Capt. W. B. Logan, a man universally esteemed as a Christian patriot.  That night and the next day the regiment fell back to Nashville and took position in Ft. Negley, where it remained during the battle, and on the 25th of December was again ordered to Columbia, and engaged in the usual garrison duties and in guarding the railroad bridges.  The regiment returned to Camp Dennison, Ohio, July 3, 1865, and was finally discharged and paid off July 13, 1865.  When it entered the service it numbered nine hundred and forty-three men; upon its return its strength was five hundred and eighty-two men.

     Company C. -

Sergeant, Hugh A. Gibson;
Joseph T. Garner
Joseph T. Garner,
John B. Lindsey,
Dopey Lemen,
Thomas Madden,
John Madden.

     Company G. -

Captain, William P. Wolf;
first lieutenant, Isaac N. Bundy;
 
first sergeant, John D. Deniston;
sergeant, James M. Gustin;
corporal, Ebenezer D. Leonard;
musician, James Nicely;
wagoner, Cortland C. Cusick;

Privates

James Boroughs,
Thomas B. Baldwin,
William H. Bryant,
James M. Casto,
Eward Crossen,
Moris Greely,
Lemuel Garrison,
William W. Garrison,
Henry Hudson,
James Hudson,
Nathan Lemons,
Alvay Layman,
Stacy Moris,
Benjamin Monce,
John Morris,
Robert McKinney,
William Morrow,
William Oliver,
William Rude,
Israel Sidles,
John P. Stewart,
Wilford Simpson,
Phillip A. Shell,
John G. Smith,
Thomas Templin,
Zachariah White

MISCELLANEOUS REGIMENTS.

     The One Hundred and Eighteenth Regiment, recruited in the fall of 1864, for one year, also contained a number of men from Clinton county.  Men from Clinton county were also found in the Fourteenth United States Colored Troops, the Fifteenth Regular Infantry, and the Third Missouri Regiment of United States Colored Troops, in which latter were Lieuts. J. B. Nickerson and Ewing Nickersham.  In the cavalry, the Second and Eighth Ohio and Fourth United States had men in their ranks from this county, and others served in the Twenty-fourth Ohio Battery and the Second Heavy Artillery.  A few were in the gunboat service on the Mississippi and Ohio rivers.

COMPANY A, SECOND VOLUNTEER HEAVY ARTILLERY.

     Company A, of the Second Ohio Heavy Artillery, was mustered into the service, July 20, 1863, by Captain Proctor, to serve three years.  By orders from the war department, it was mustered out Aug. 23, 1865.  Privates from Clinton county serving in this company were:

George Brown,
James Brown,
Samuel W. Brown,
Jonah Black,
John Blair,
William Bobbet,
John Bernard,
John W. Dewitt,
J. D. Davis,
Theodore Dumcin,
A. W. Fletcher,
Elisha Hilderbrant,
John W. Hughes,
Ephraim Hansel,
David Hubbard,
John W. Moon,
W. F. McNeal,
James H. Wickersham,
Paul Williams,
Hiram Villars.

     Company D -

Sergeants

Enoch Morris,
Christian Cunny;
Robert Barr,
Addison Blizzard
Thomas Burns,
Isaac Becket,
John Crawford,
James Forendyce
Stephen J. McKinney,
George Nolder.

[Pg. 125]

TWENTY-FOURTH OHIO INDEPENDENT BATTERY.

     The Twenty-fourth Ohio Battery was organized at Camp Dennison, Aug. 4, 1863, to serve three years.  It was mustered out June 24, 1865.  Enlistments from Clinton county were as follows:

Joseph Campbell,
Jackson Campbell,
William F. Elliott,
Wayatte Fenner

William Holladay,
Henry C. Hunter (promoted corporal)
Thomas F. Hudson,

Lewis Hudson,
Peter Kelso,
William L. Pegan.

COLORED TROOPS FROM CLINTON COUNTY.

Robert Hart,
James Hart,
Peter Hart,
John Hart,
Henry Taylor,
William Harrison,
Wesley Hightower,
James P. Hightower,
William Dinimory,
James Mayes,
David Wood,
Gaston Good,
Nathan Stewart,
A. G. Mallory,
M. E. Mallory,
William Mallory,
John Paine,
William Hargrave,
David Adams,
Alfred Mayes,
Charles Chapman,
J. R. Robinson,
Orlando Hightower

MISCELLANEOUS

     Others from Clinton county who saw service in the various branches of the nation's fighting force were

James Whitsel,
Sylvester Clerk,
John Harris,
Joseph Woodruff,
D. R. Simpson,
W. Conner, Jr.,
J. A. Covat,
Joseph L. Garner,
A. F. Deniston,
W. M. Dugan,
Joshua Fisher,
W. B. Fisher,
George Gurton,
J. H. Holliday,
Lewis A. Hamlin,
J. D. Moore,
W. H. Oliver,
R. D. Shields,
George Newton,
James Spencer,
Junius Carpenter,
Hamilton Shewalter,
Col. George Zeigler,
Henry Long,
David L. Way (captain Fifth U.S. Infantry),
M. C. Robinson,
David H. Wright.

 

< BACK TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >

.



 

CLICK HERE to Return to
CLINTON COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights