OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
A Part of Genealogy Express
History & Genealogy
History of Columbiana County, Ohio
with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
Philadelphia: D. W. Ensign & Co.,
(Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
BUTLER CENTRE ELK RUN FAIRFIELD FRANKLIN HANOVER KNOX LIVERPOOL MADISON MIDDLETON PERRY ST. CLAIR SALEM UNITY WASHINGTON WAYNE WEST YELLOW CREEK
THIS is the central northern township of the county, and was constituted from four sections taken from each of the townships of Butler, Greene, Goshen, and Salem.
The village of Salem was incorporated prior to the erection of the township, and is the only village in its territory. The surface of the land is generally undulating, without any prominent physical features.
The water-courses are few and small, among which the principal are the middle fork of Beaver Creek, one branch of which rises in the village of Salem, and one in the southwest corner of the town. These brnaches unite a little west of the north part of the village, on section 36, and flow northerly, passing out of the township about a mile and a half east of its west boundary.
The Friends began to push their way to the West from Pennsylvania and Virginia soon after the trouble with the mother-country had ceased and the territory of the Northwest had been organized.
JACOB PAINTER, from Virginia, in the year 1802, with his wife and children, - David, Saml., Abigail, and Robert, - came into this part of the country and located on section 32, township 16, range 3, and built on the farm where John Pow now lives. They first put up a tent made from the wagon-cover, which they used while building the log cabin. The days of Mr. Painter were mostly passed on the farm. His sons settled principally on the same section.
ELISHA SCHOOLEY, also from Virginia, located in 1801, and built a log cabin, which in a few years he replaced with a frame dwelling. His sons settled on a part of the section.
In 1803, SAMUEL DAVIS, a sturdy follower of William Penn, a man of strong individuality, indomitable perseverance, and withal eccentric, who was born in New Jersey, and had lived several years in Pennsylvania, where he married, set out to make a settlement in this part of the country. After pushing his way along the New Lisbon road, he reached the undulating lands which occupy the northern part of Columbiana County, and determined to remain. He cut his way through the dense woods about a mile, and located on section 31, township 16, range 3, which he afterwards purchased the Samuel Smith, whose assignee he was.
Mr. Davis received a deed direct from the government, signed by Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States, and dated Aug. 9, 1806. He also later received a deed of section 33, township 16,, range 3, dated Mar. 10, 1807, and another of section 20, township 17, range 4, dated Nov. 1, 1808. The certificates for these sections had been granted some years previous. He commenced a clearing, planted wheat, and built a log cabin on the spot where, a few years later, he built the large brick house now owned by his granddaughter, Mrs. Hiddleson. At this time commenced the wondrous change which transferred the almost unbroken wilderness into cultivated fields, and built up a thriving village, vocal with the busy hum of machinery whose productions reach to the farthest ends of the earth.
Whether Mr. Davis remained during the winter is not
known; but in the spring of 1804, his family, consisting of his wife and children, - Rebecca, Mary, Samuel, William, Elizabeth, Rachel, and Joshua, - removed to this place, and settled in the new home. Soon afterwards others of the Society of Friends gathered about them, and in a few years constituted a considerable settlement. In 1806, Mr. Davis presented to the settlement two acres of land on which to build a meeting-house, situated on the north side of Main Street, at the corner of Ellsworth. In 1815 he laid out the tier of lots on the north side of the street. His time in later years was devoted to the management of his land.
Mr. Davis was an excellent judge of human nature, and settled more law-suits by conciliation between disputants, in the last few years of his life, than did the courts, and assisted often, financially, in adjusting compromises, his love of humanity leading him to prevent resort to "legal suasion," as he termed suits at law. Samuel Davis died Apr. 15, 1836, at the age of seventy-three years; Mary, his wife, died Apr. 27, 1842, aged eighty-three years.
He was always on the alert for the ludicrous, and many bits of humor are told of him, one of which is as follows: A Dutchman went out beside a spring to indulge in a private drink from his bottle; he there encountered Davis, whom he invited to partake. Davis at first declined, but when urged appeared to consent, remarking that he "couldn't take it undiluted." He thereupon suggested that the whisky be poured into the "run," while he drank from it just below. The Dutchman complied, and, as Davis continued to drink and called for more, the Dutchman continued to pour until the bottle was empty. All too late to save a portion for himself the Dutchman discovered that he had been duped, and that Davis had taken only water "straight." He afterwards declared, "I never had no Yankee come it over me or cheat me so pad as Sammy Davis."
The first wedding which occurred in the town was that of Rebecca, the oldest child of Mr. Davis, and David Schofield. The marriage was solemnized in the small log church which stood on the north side of the street, near where the town-hall now stands. The intention of the happy couple had been duly published at the Middleton Monthly Meeting. David saw Rebecca for the first time when she was in a clearing helping her father roll and haul logs. Almost every person in the neighborhood was invited to the wedding.
The following certificate is recorded on page 1 of the Friends' Church Record of that day, and is a verbatim copy of the marriage certificate, now in possession of Joseph Holloway, a son-in-law of Mrs. Schofield:
"DAVID SCHOFIELD, of Columbiana County, and State of Ohio, son of David Schofield, of Campbell County, State of Virginia, and Rachel, his wife, and Rebecah Davis, daughter of Samuel Davis, of Columbiana County, and State of Ohio, and Mary, his wife, having declared their intentions of taking each other in marriage, before several monthly meetings of the people called Quakers, in the county of Columbiana and State of Ohio, the proceedings of the said David Schofield and Rebecah Davis, after due enquiry and deliberate consideration, were allowed by the said meeting, they appearing clear of all others, and having consent of parents and parties concerned.
"Now these are to certify whom it may concern, that for the accomplishing their said marriage, this twentieth day of the eleventh month, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and five, they, the said David Schofield and Rebecah Davis appeared in a public assembly of the aforesaid people, and others, in their meeting-house at Salem, and he the said Davis Schofield taking the said Rebecah Davis by the hand, did openly and solemnly declare as follows, or nearly so:
" 'In the presence of this assembly, I take this my friend Rebecah Davis to be my wife, promising, with Divine aid, to be to her a loving and faithful husband till death shall separate us."
"And the said Rebecah Davis did then and their in the said assembly declare as follows:
" 'In the presence of this assembly, I take this my friend David Schofield to be my husband, promising, with Divine aid, to be to him a loving and faithful wife till death shall separate us.'
"And the said David Schofield and Rebecah Davis (she according to custom of marriage assuming the name of her husband) as a full confirmation thereof, and in testimony thereto did then and there to these presents set their hands.
"We, who were present among others at the above marriage, have also subscribed our names as witnesses thereto, the day and year aforesaid:
"Elizabeth Right, Samuel Davis, Rachel Schooley, Jesse Holloway, Unity Stanley, Abram Warrington, Abagail Hunt, Joseph Curl, Joseph Black, James Shore, Hannah Morris, Enoch Warrington, Rachel Warrington, Jonathan Evans, Deborah Schooley, John Straughan, Mary Test, Israel Gaskell, Benjamin Test, Price Blake, John Schooley, Zacheus Test, Robert French, Hannah Test, Anthony Morris, Mary Davis, Zilpah Gaskell, Mary Shinn, Mary Reeves, Elisha Schooley, Elizabeth Evans, Caleb Shinn, Judith Townsend, John Isenhour, Mary Isenhour, Keziah Wooman."
David Schofield kept a store in Salem for many years where Dr. Kuhn now lives.
Mary, the second daughter of Samuel Davis, married Benjamin Hawley, who came from Middleton in 1820, his father having come to that place from Chester County in 1801. Mr. Hawley built the brick house where the express-office now is, and lived there until 1831, when he bought the old Davis place from Joshua Davis. It contained about 100 acres, which he laid out in lots and streets. He sold all the lots except the home lot, which is still in possession of his daughter, Mrs. Hiddleson. He was a carpenter by trade, was justice of the peace a number of years, and transacted business as an adjuster of claims and conveyancer. He was one of the earliest friends of the present school system, and did much to promote its acceptance. He was one of the most useful citizens, and an honest man. Mr. Hawley died Feb. 27, 1875, aged eighty-five years.
About the year 1805, JOHN WEBB, with his family of seven sons and four daughters, moved from Hartford Co., Md., to what is now Perry township, and settled on the northeast quarter of section No. 30, where William Dunn now lives. His children were as follows: Thomas, James, John,* Ann, William, Richard, Elizabeth, Mary, Abraham, and Isaac. Of these, there is but one survivor, Isaac Webb, who is a resident of Salem, being now about eighty-seven years of age. He married Ann Jennings, daughter of Levi and Rebecca Jennings.
LEVI JENNINGS was born in New Jersey, May 15, 1764; married Rebecca Everly, of Everly Bottoms, Va., in 1789.
* John Webb built the first brick dwelling in the township and kept it as a hotel, which was afterwards known as the "Jennings House." Col. Thomas Webb, his son, was born in Salem, and kept the Union Hotel, on Arch Street, between Third and Fourth Streets, Philadelphia, for ten years, also the National Hotel, on Courtland Street, New York. He now lives in Massilon, Ohio.
In 1808 he moved into Columbiana County, and settled on the southwest quarter of section No. 26, now in Perry township, where they lived to a good old age, having raised a family of four sons and four daughters, - Simeon, Levi, Sarah, Jesse, Mary, Ann, William, and Rebecca, of whom none but Ann (Mrs. Isaac Webb) and William survive. The elder son, Simeon, was in some respects a remarkable man. He was born Nov. 7, 1791, and at his death, which occurred Oct. 30, 1865, left an estate of over one and a half millions of dollars.
The eldest daughter of Ann and Isaac Webb married Uriah Wilson, and the youngest married Leonard Schilling, who came to Salem in 1847, and entered the store of J. T. & I. I. Boone. He was the oldest living merchant in the town, having had a business experience, without intermission, of thirty-two years.
Levi Jennings was township treasurer in 1812, '13, '16, and '23. Simeon Jennings was clerk in 1814, '15, and 16.
ABRAM WARRINGTON, with his wife, Rachel, and brother Enoch, came from New Jersey in 1804, and settled in what is now Perry, on the farm where Stacy Cooke now lives. He was supervisor of the township in 1812. One daughter married William Fisher, another married Nathan Hunt.
JOB COOK, from New Jersey, came to this part of the county in 1804, in search of land upon which to settle. Meeting John Straughn,* the two went to Steubenville, where Mr. Cook entered section 1, and, having the choice of position, Mr. Cook entered section 1, and, having the choice of position, chose the south two-third, where Henry Cook, his grandson, now lives (1879). He had four children, - Jacob W., Thomas, Job, who lives in Goshen, and Mary. Mr. Cook died in 1841, at the age of ninety-three years.
JOHN STRAUGHN came from Bucks Co., Pa., to Salem in 1804, where, meeting Job Cook (as previously mentioned), with that gentleman he entered the whole of section 1, taking for himself the north third. Mr. Straughn stopped at the cabin of Samuel Davis for a few days until the completion of his own, which was situated on the south part of a lot now owned by James G. Brown. He lived in this cabin about a year, when he sold it for $1, and built a hewed-log cabin, now owned by Robert Tolerton and R. V. Hampson. In this more pretentious domicile he lived until 1849, when he built the brick house now occupied by William Jennings, where he died in 1858, aged eighty-one years.
Mr. Straughn, with Zadock Street, laid out the village of Salem in 1806. His children were Ann, Eliza, Joseph, Sarah, and Jesse. Ann (now Mrs. Lawwell) and Eliza (now Mrs. Day) reside at Wooster. Jesse is a civil engineer of Fort Wayne, Ind.
HUGH BURNS, a brother of John Burns, who settled in Butler in 1803, settled at the same time in the southwest part of what is now Perry township, where Eli Fawcett lives.
ZACCHEUS TEST located a section of land in Butler, now Perry, in 1803. The section in Butler he divided between his sons, Isaac and Samuel.
JONAS CATTEL entered section 36, in what is now the township of Perry, in 1803, and the next year sold to George Baum the southwest quarter of the section, and to Elisha Hunt - brother of Nathan and Stacy Hunt - the southeast quarter of the section, which passed afterwards to Robert French.
ENOCH CATTELL, a son of Jones Cattell, came from Brownsville, Pa., in 1812, and settled on the north half of section 36. Jonas D. Cattell, now living of the farm his grandfather purchased, was born the next year after they came. His father and mother died in 1814. He lived with Thomas French during his boyhood. When Enoch Cattell first came to Perry, David Venable and Stacy Stratton were on the farm as tenants.
THOMAS FRENCH came with Zadock Street, from the same place, and located in or near Damascus, where he built a brick home. A year or two after the death of his brother-in-law, Enoch Cattell, he came to Salem and took charge of the farm Enoch had occupied. He was appraiser of property in 1812. He had brothers, - Thomas James, Robert, John, and Barzilla.
ZADOCK STREET, with his family, came to Brownsville in 1805 from Salem, N. J., and, with his son John, came over to what is now Salem, in the winter of 1805-6, to see friends. They intended to go down the river, which was, however, so low they could not proceed. Being much pleased with the country, Zadock purchased a quarter-section, a part of which he afterwards gave to Anna, his daughter. Anna married Robert French, and became the mother of the first child born in the town, - Zadock French, born Jan. 7, 1808.
They all returned to Brownsville, and in the spring of 1806 again moved to Salem, Zadock's family consisting of his wife and his children, - Anson, John, and Anna, and Thomas French, his son-in-law. John went to New Lisbon, where he kept a store about a year. He then came to Salem, bought an acre of ground at the corner of what is now Main and Depot Streets, for $12, of John Strawn where he erected a log dwelling and store under one roof. In this he opened the first store in Salem, and, in 1807, the first post-office, which he kept. In 1832 he built a brick store where the log structure stood.
During the early part of 1806, John Strawn and Zadock Street laid out and platted the village of Salem, an account of which is given elsewhere. At this time the settlement was named "Salem," after Salem, N. J., from which they came. Zadock Street built a log house, a part of which is still in existence, in the building west of the "West Bank," the logs having been covered with siding. In this log house he lived until his death, which occurred in 1808.
In 1832, Zadock Street, son of John, rented the store of his father and kept it four years, when he built a new store. The old one was taken down in 1845, when the street called Broadway was opened. He kept a store in the east end of this building, and the "State Bank of Salem" occupied the west end. It stood about 100 feet back from Main Street, and in the centre of Broadway. Zadock, from this time, became much interested in the subject of railroads, has given it much time and attention, and has been instrumental in the construction of a railroad through the
* Spelled Straughn, Straughan, Strawn,,, and in other ways.
town. Prior to this he established a number of stage routes. He is still living in Salem, and is interested in the "Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals," and his time is almost entirely devoted to that object.
JACOB STREET died in 1850. He had three sons - Zadock, Samuel, and John, - all of whom are living in Salem.
JOEL SHARP, with his wife and two daughters, came to Salem from Egg Harbor, N. J., in 1806, bringing the family and goods in wagons and a carriage. Mrs. Sharp drove in the carriage, holding one child in her arms, while her husband cut and cleared the way. Three weeks were consumed in crossing the Alleghany Mountains. They passed through the township as far as Abram Warrington's and finally located on the southwest quarter of section 3. They were the parents of Thomas, Simeon, Clayton, and Joel Sharp, - names favorably known throughout the county. Joel Sharp was treasurer of the township in 1814 and trustee in 1815. He died in 1820. Mrs. Sharp married Nathan Hunt in 1824. She died at the age of ninety-one years.
GEORGE BAUM, an emigrant from Germany, was sold for his passage. After his labor had paid his passage-money, he came to the town of Salem, and purchased from Jonas Cattell the southwest quarter of section 36, in the year 1806. He built a log house on the farm now owned by Campbell & Boone. He was treasurer of the township in 1812-13. His daughter Ann married Robert McKim. Her father gave her hand in the southwest quarter of section 10, where Mr. McKim attended, and where his descendants live.
JOHN BLACKBURN came from near Chambersburg, Pa., in 1806, the year of the eclipse, with his wife, three sons, and five daughters, and settled on section 2, where his son, John Blackburn, still lives. His sons were William, John, and Joseph A. William was known as Gov. William Blackburn, and represented his district in the State Legislature eight yeas and in the State Senate a like period.
JAMES TOLERTON came from Ireland to Philadelphia in 1809, and to Salem in 1811, where he taught school, and was a thorough believer in "switch suasion." He was a straightforward, impetuous man, and, at the division of the Society of Friends he went with the Hicksites, and was their fighting-man. He purchased 130 acres of land from Joseph Wright where Albert Phillip now lives. Later here moved to Knox township, and lived there about thirty years, when he returned to Salem and lived there until his death, in 1871, aged ninety-three. His sons, Robert and Hill, are living in Salem.
THOMAS STANLEY came from Richmond, Va., and settled, in 1806, in that part of Butler township which is now in Perry. Benjamin, his son, was then fourteen years old, and afterwards helped survey, clear, and open the section west of Damascus.
STEPHEN WISNER, with his wife and four children, came to Salem in 1818, and bought land on Green Street, where he followed his trade - that of a shoemaker. He was for a time justice of the peace. Mr. Wisner died Nov. 5, 1877, aged eight-nine years. William Wisner, a son, lives in Goshen. Mrs. Samuel Wright, Mrs. Frank Birch, Mrs. Jeremiah Zimmerman, daughters, all live in Salem.
RICHARD FAWCETT, from Virginia, near Winchester, located, in 1807, about a mile north of the village of Salem, where his son Richard lives. He remained on the farm, and his children settled in the vicinity, - David, where Robert Tolerton now lives; William, on the place where Joseph Fawcett now lives, 1879.
ABRAHAM BARBER settled in the township in 1805. He married Drusella Gaus, whose farmer, Isaac Gaus, settled in the same year at Salem.
ANTHONY MORRIS lived in Salem a short time in 1805, but moved to Damascus, where he raised a large family.
NATHAN and STACY HUNT, brothers, and natives of Moorestown, N. J., emigrated to Fayette Co., Pa., and thence in 1806 to Salem, where Nathan arrived first. Nathan was a builder and contractor, and erected the first frame dwelling in Salem, on the lot adjoining that on which the African Methodist Episcopal church stands, on Green Street. He was one of the projectors of the cotton-factory erected a Salem in 1814. In 1832 he removed to Cleveland, where he remained about ten eyras and then returned to Salem, where he died in 1850. His oldest and youngest sons, Ira and Nathan, sole survivors of the family, are living in Salem.
STACY HUNT, in 1807, was employed on the meeting-house of brick which the Friends were then erecting. He became the first foreman of the cotton-mill when it was put in operation in 1815, and in the following year married and removed to Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1829. Returning in that year, he settled on a farm two miles west of Salem, and in 1847 again made Salem his home, where he died Jan. 31, 1878, in his eighty-ninth year. His widow, Hannah, and George, a son, are living in Salem.
JACOB PAINTER, in 1802, located on section 32, on the farm where John Pow at present resides. He came from Virginia with his wife and five children, - David, Samuel, Abigail, Joseph, and Robert. They belonged to the Society of Friends. The sons settled mostly in the vicinity of Salem. Joseph is living in Damascus.
ELISHA SCHOOLEY, from Virginia, located where Robert Hole resides. His sons also settled in the township. Mrs. Ross Stratton, a daughter of David Painter, is a grand-daughter of Mr. Schooley. Mr. Schooley in 1832 sold the property to Thomas Horner, who lived upon it until 1870, when he moved to Salem.
About the year 1816, ISRAEL SCHOOLEY built, on a branch of the Mahoning, a grist-mill which is operated for a period of nearly or quite thirty years. The inhabitants had previously been obliged to resort to mills on the Ohio River, - a distance of twenty-four miles.
MICHAEL STRATTON, a brother of Aaron, came from New Jersey in 1806, and settled on section 25, where Joseph Launer now resides, whose wife is a granddaugher of Mr. Stratton. He was a carpenter by trade, served on a town committee in 1811, and was trustee in 1812, 1818, and 1819.
JONATHAN STANLY, with his wife and three children, - Andrew, Fleming, and Abram, - came to Salem in 1806. He bought 100 acres of land from Job Cook, where Jonathan, his youngest son, now lives. James, another son, is living in Salem. Mrs. Milley Johnson, a daughter, lives in
Howard Co., Ill. Mr. Stanley died in 1852, aged seventy-six years.
JONATHAN EVANS came from Upper Darby, Pa., in 1804, with his wife and son Philip, and settled on sections 5 and 6, where Philip still resides. His log cabin was built on the Franklin road where Ephraim Murphy lives. His other children are Mrs. Lydia Matthews, of Iowa; Mrs. Hannah Bonsall, of Green township; Mrs. Susan Stratton, of Goshen; Mrs. Sarah Bonsall, of California.
ISRAEL GASKELL came from New Jersey in 1805, and settled on section No. 6. He built his first log cabin on the knoll where Zadock Street now resides, living in his wagon until his cabin was completed. He had three sons and four daughters, none of whom are living. Robert Tolerton married Zilpha, the youngest daughter. Mr. Gaskell died about 1850.
DAVID GASKELL, SR., father of Israel and David, lived in the village of Salem. He was interested in the organization of the Baptist church, and was teh second justice of the peace in the township, William Cattrell having been the first.
BENJAMIN STANTON, son of Henry and Abigail Stanton, was born in North Carolina, Aug. 28,1793. In 1800 his mother, who was then a widow, removed with Benjamin and several other children to Brownsville, Pa., where they remained until the following spring, and then again removed, to Mt. Pleasant, Ohio. At the age of twenty Benjamin began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Hamilton, of Mt. Pleasant. He opened an office in Camden, Ohio, where he remained a short time, and in 1815 settled in Salem.
The next year he married Martha Townsend, who taught school in New Lisbon in 1811 and 1812, at Beaver Falls in 1813, and afterwards, in 1815, at Salem, in the old Baptist log meeting-house on Dry Street. They lived nearly two years at the west end of Main Street, then purchased the property on the northwest corner of Chestnut and Main Streets, and in 1854 moved to the corner of Chestnut and Green Streets, where Mrs. Stanton still resides.
He practiced medicine for nearly half a century, and was respected as a physician and beloved as a man. He was a member of the Society of Friends, but the dissensions which arose in that body induced him to withdraw.
He was a leader in all good works. Religion with him was a vital, living principle, and "life was a state in which a free human being was to work out for himself a high and holy character; man, a responsible being, sustaining physical and moral relations to God and the universe; and pure religion, the perfection of human character, consisting in the performance of the duties and obligations growing out of these relations."
Through his influence the first tax was raised in Salem to establish a district school, upon the principle that property should education the children of the community. He was also active in the cause of temperance, and among the earliest friends of the slave before the anti-slavery cause had many advocates.
His children were Oliver, Rebecca, Laura, Joseph, David, Caroline, William, and Byron, all of whom are living except Joseph and David, who were both physicians. Joseph practiced in Akron, Ohio, and was a physician of good repute and a man of undoubted integrity. David was elected auditor-general of Pennsylvania, and became widely and favorably known. William was a lawyer, studied with his cousin Edwin M. Stanton (late Secretary of War), and now lives near Pittsburgh. Byron is a physician now practicing in Cincinnati. He was superintendent of the Northern Lunatic Asylum of the State of Ohio. Two of his daughters, Mrs. Rebecca Weaver and Mrs. Caroline Adams, are living in Salem. Benjamin Stanton died Feb. 28, 1861.
ISAAC WILSON, a native of Kennett Square, Chester Co., Pa., was born in 1786. He remained in that State until about 1813 or 1814. He was in the army in the war of 1812, and served about nine months. After the expiration of his term of service he removed to Smith Ferry, Columbiana Co., Ohio, where he was connected with a paper manufacturing company, whose headquarters were in Pittsburgh, and afterwards became a partner. He remained with the company until about 1825, when he removed to Salem and bought "a piece of land" on the south side of Main Street, where he built a hotel and store of brick, which was long known as "Wilson's Hotel." He also built a tannery, and carried on the business of tanning hides in connection with his mercantile affairs. He was a prompt and energetic business man, and gave new activity to the business interests of Salem. He was popular with all classes, and a thorough Democrat.
JACOB HEATON came to Salem in 1831, and soon after his arrival it happened that in a game of quoits, in which he was engaged with Isaac Wilson, he came off victorious. Wilson said, "Young man, any man who can beat me pitching quoits I want to work for me; come on to-morrow morning." This circumstance determined teh destiny, in a worldly point of view, of Jacob Heaton. He went into the store of Mr. Wilson, and for a while pursued the mercantile business, but has been for many years in the insurance business. He married the daughter of Emor T. Weaver..
Mr. Heaton was one of the leaders of the anti-slavery cause in the county, and had a large acquaintance with the principal men and women connected with that movement. When the lecture course of the anti-slavery society was in full progress. Mr. Heaton conceived the idea of keeping an anti-slavery register. John Pierpont dedicated it in a poem dated Mar. 12, 1856. Abby Kelly, William Lloyd Garrison, George Thompson, Horace Mann, Wendell Phillips, Salmon P. chase, and many others have graced its pages with their vigorous thought. William, a son of Mr. Heaton, resides in New York.
ISAAC BOONE left Adams Co., Pa., with his wife and three children, - Thomas C., James, and Phebe J., - in the year 1827, traveling in a two horse wagon containing household goods. They were twenty-one days on the route. Mr. Boone settled near where he still resides. He moved into a one-story house with two rooms, in one of which he opened a harness-shop; the other was used by the family. Mr. Boone has ever since continued the harness business in Salem without interruption. His son, Thomas C. Boone, is well known as colonel, during the late war, of the One
Hundred and Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and as the present treasurer of the Buckeye Engine Company. His daughter, Phebe, married Nathan Hunt.
MARIUS ROBINSON was born in Dalton, Berkshire Co., Mass. In his tenth year he removed with his parents to Dansville, Livingston Co., N. Y. He soon after went to Utica and entered the printing and bookbinding establishment of Merrill Hastings, where he learned the trade of a printer. In 1827, when in his twenty-first year, he went south and taught school at the Creekpath mission of the Cherokee nation. While teaching he studied theology, reciting to private ministers. In 1830 he entered Nashville University, and after examination was admitted to the third year of the four years' course.
At the reorganization and opening of the Lane Seminary, under the Rev. Lyman Beecher, Mr. Robinson was the first student to arrive and enter. He remained two years, until the difficulty arose between faculty and students by reason of the agitation of the slavery question, when the whole class of which he was a member revolted and left the seminary. They hired a room at Cummingsville, and there pursued their studies during one winter. At this time Mr. Robinson had studied theology about seven years, and in the spring of 1836 was ordained to the ministry in Jamestown, Chautauqua Co., N. Y. He immediately went to Cincinnati and commenced preaching and lecturing on the subject of slavery. In August of that year he was appointed by the American Anti Slavery Society as lecturer for Middle and Northern Ohio, and from that time until 1838 he addressed assemblages from one to three times a day, when he was prostrated by sickness. His illness resulted partly from injuries received at the hands of a dastardly mob that assaulted him in Berlin one Sunday night in June, 1837. This mob carried him away on an open field about ten miles distant, where they left him, having first covered him with a coat of tar and feathers. This sickness and his ensuing feeble condition prevented him from speaking much in public for about twelve years. In 1851 he assumed the editorial control of the Anti-Slavery Bugle upon the retirement of Oliver Johnson, and continued in that position until 1863, when he retired from its management and engaged in life and fire insurance business. He was president of the Ohio Mutual Fire Insurance Company at the time of his death. He died Dec. 8, 1878, at the age of seventy-two years and six months.
Perhaps a summary of Mr. Robinson's life and character can be best given by an extract from an article written by one of his life-long friends, Oliver Johnson:
"Mr. Robinson was a man of great sweetness and purity of life, and an earnest and eloquent champion of every principle and measure which he taught beneficial to his fellow-men. He combined great courage with great discretion, winning the respect and confidence even of those whose views differed most widely from his own. Of pure and undefiled religion, as defined by the apostle James, he was at once a defender and an exemplar. As a speaker he was full of what is usually called magnetic power, by which he was able to command and attention and sway the sympathies of his hearers. For many years he was editor of the Ohio Anti-Slavery Bugle, the files of which are a memorial of his power as a writer as well as of his unswerving devotion to the cause of freedom.
* Compiled from "Salem, Past and Present"
The following is a list of the principal officers of the township of Perry from the first regular election, held Apr. 1, 1833:
1833. - Joseph Wright, Thomas Webb, Joseph England 1834-35. - Joseph Wright, John Antram, Joseph England 1836-37. - Joseph Wright, David Fawcett, Joseph England. 1835. - Aaron Hise, David Stratton, Joseph England. 1839. - Aaron Hise, Joseph Pippitt, Allen Farquar. 1840-41. - Aaron Hise, Joseph Pippitt, John Antram 1842. - Aaron Hise, Joseph Pippitt, John Schooley. 1843. - John Schooley, John Flitcraft, Isaac Wilson 1844-45. - John Schooley, John Flitcraft, Joseph Pippitt. 1846-48. - John Schooley, John Flitcraft, William Webb. 1849. - John Schooley, Hill Tolerton, William Webb. 1850-51. - John Flitcraft, Joseph Straughan, Allen Farquar. 1852. - John Flitcraft, Hill Tolerton. 1853. - John Flitcraft, Hill Tolerton, James Woodruff 1854-55. - James Woodruff, Hill Tolerton, Lewis Keene 1856-58. - Lewis Keene, George Sheets, John Hunt. 1859. - Lewis Keene, Samuel Grove, Robert Tolerton. 1860-63. - Lewis Keene, Robert Tolerton, George Sheets 1864-65. - George Sheets, Leonard Schilling, Levi S. Dole. 1866. - Robert Tolerton, Leonard Schilling, Levi S. Dole. 1867. - Robert Tolerton, John McLean, William Daniel. 1868. - Robert Tolerton, William Daniel, Joseph Fawcett. 1869-72. - William Daniel, James S. Seaton, Lewis Keene 1873. - William Daniel, Allen Boyle, James Davis. 1874-76. - Allen Boyle, James Davis, Robert Tolerton. 1877-78. - Samuel Grove, James Davis, Allen Boyle. 1879. - Samuel Grove, Lewis Keene, James Davis.
Benjamin Hawley, 1833-49; Charles L. Cook, 1850; Benjamin Hawley, 1851; C. K. Greiner, 1852; Caspar W. Hillman, 1853; Jas. Eggman, 1853; C. W. Hillman, 1854; W. H. Garrigues, 1854-56; James Eggman, 1857; Chas. H. Garrigues, 1858-60; James McConnell, 1861; Charles H. Garrigues, 1862; William Morris, 1863; Aaron Guffitt, 1864; Charles H. Garrigues, 1865; Norman B. Garrigues, 1866-76; George Holmes, 1877-79
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
John Campbell, Stephen Wisner, Jacob Snyder, Joseph Saxon, Thomas Kennett, Benj. Hawley, James Boone, A. H. Baltur, R. H. Garrigues, David M. Carey, S. D. Hardman, Lawrence A. Hall, Allen A. Thomas.
Among the interesting items to be found in the first volume of township records are the copies of indentures.
Nov. 29, 1833, Aramintha Grist was indentured to Zadock Street. She was to be instructed "in the art, trade, and mystery of housewifery;" to be trained to habits of obedience, industry, and morality; to be taught to read, write, and cipher as far as the single rule of three; to be provided for, and be allowed meat, drink, washing, lodging, and apparel for, and be allowed meat, drink, washing, lodging, and apparel for summer and winter. She was to live with him until she was eighteen years of age, and at the expiration of such service he should give to her a new Bible and at least two suits of common wearing apparel.
Mary Sheets was apprenticed to Alexander Burns. she was to have, at the expiration of her service, a new Bible, two suits of common wearing-apparel, a new bureau, one new wool-wheel, and a new umbrella.
VILLAGE OF SALEM.
SALEM IN 1809
SALEM IN 1842.
A WONDER OF YESTERDAY.
THE PRESENT VILLAGE
SALEM FIRE DEPARTMENT.
SALEM CIVIL LIST.
MAYORS, 1857* TO 1879
"HISTORY OF THE EDUCATIONAL PROGRESS OF SALEM, OHIO, 1876.
* Names of presidents or mayors from 1850 to 1857 were not found.
* In the second number of vol. i, of the Village Register, April 19, 1842, is the notice of a seminary for young ladies. It states that Misses E. W. Richards and Leah Heaton had opened a school on the 11th of April, "where the various branches of a thorough English education will be taught on the most approved plan."
* The figures denote votes received.
TOWNSHIP BOARDS OF EDUCATION, 1853 TO 1879
1853. - A. B. Painter, James Cornell, Robert Tolerton, John Garwood. 1854. - William Jennings, Robert Tolerton, John Garwood, William H. Garrigues, Joseph Smith. 1855. - Joseph Smith, William Jennings, Robert Tolerton, Amos Swan. 1856. - John W. Grimmery, William Jennings, Robert Tolerton, Henry Schooley. 1857. - Robert Tolerton, William Jennings, Henry B. Schooley, James Eggman. 1858. - John W. Grimmery, Robert Tolerton, William Jennings, Charles H. Garrigues. 1859. - William Jennings, Robert Tolerton, John Grimmery, Timothy Gee. 1860. - William Jennings, R. G. Painter, Timothy Gee, Charles H. Garrigues. 1861. - Robert Tolerton, Timothy Gee, R. G. Painter, William Jennings. 1862. - Hill, Tolerton, William Jennings, Timothy Gee, James McConnell. 1863. - Hill Tolerton, William Jennings, Timothy Gee, James McConnell. 1864-65.- Hill Tolerton, John Pow, L. B. Webb, N. B. Garrigues. 1866. - Hill Tolerton, John Negus, John Pow, Anus Campbell. 1867. - Angus Campbell, Hill Tolerton, David Tilson, William Dunn 1868. - Angus Campbell, Hill Tolerton, L. B. Webb, William Dunn 1869. - Angus Campbell, Hill Tolerton, L. B. Webb, John Pow. 1870. - Hill Tolerton, L. B. Webb, Richard Elton, John Pow. 1871. - Hill Tolerton, L. B. Webb, Richard Elton, John Pow. 1872. - L. B. Webb, Hill Tolerton, Richard Elton, John Pow. 1873. - John Pow, Jonathan Stanley, Richard Elton, Abram Painter. 1874. - Abram Painter, Elijah Whinnery, Richard Elton, John Pow. 1875. - John Pow, George Rogers, Joel Stratton, Richard Elton. 1876. - George Rogers, John Pow, Asa W. Allen, Joel Stratton. 1877. - Asa W. Allen, William Dunn, Joel Stratton, George Rogers. 1878. - George F. Rogers, A. R. Shinn, E. P.Vansyoe, William V. Dunn. 1879. - E. P. Vansyoc, A. F. Shinn, William V. Dunn, George F. Rogers.
* The original minutes are in the hands of Jesse Strawn, of Butler.
* Facts for the sketch of this society were derived from a published sermon of Rev. T. J. Lytle, the present pastor.
* The facts for this sketch were derived from a memorial sermon delivered by Rev. H. B. Fry, July 9, 1876.
The first burying-ground of the Friends was located south of the old brick church, and was abandoned in 1817 or '18. Upon the sale of the property to J. T. Brooks, many of the remains were removed to the cemetery on Depot Street. A lot of two acres was afterwards - about 1818 - purchased of John Strawn, and is situated on Depot Street, below the Baptist burying-ground. This lot is still used.
Baptist Burying-ground. - Lots 55 and 56, on Depot Street, were deeded to the trustees of the Baptist church
in 1809, for church and burying-purposes. The ground is still used to some extent as a burial place.
Methodist Burying-ground. - A plat of ground, containing about an acre and a half, was purchased about 1830, and was used for burial purposes from that time until about 1860. Many of the remains have been removed to Hope Cemetery. This burying-ground is situated on what is now Howard Street, at the foot of Fourth.
Presbyterian, Salem, and Hope Cemeteries. - About 1833 the Presbyterian society purchased a triangular piece of land on the west side of Canfield road, containing about one acres.
The Salem Cemetery was laid out Dec. 6, 1853, and contains about two and a half acres. Aug. 3, 1864, five acres were purchased, at a cost of $275 per acre, and were also laid out into lots. With the exception of the Presbyterian Cemetery, the grounds were owned by Jacob Heaton, by whom they have been divided into lots. The last purchase was on the north side of the Salem and Presbyterian grounds, and is called the "Hope Cemetery."
Price Blake, in his log cabin, built upon the rear part of the Wilson lot in 1805 or 1806, entertained strangers upon occasion, but the first regular hotel was built of logs by William Heacock in 1809, on the corner of Main and Howard Streets, in which situation a house of entertainment has been continued to the present time. This hotel was of logs, and was subsequently purchased by Henry Mall, who kept it many years, and a portion is included in what is now known as the Tolerton House.
John Webb built a brick dwelling and hotel, about 1814 or 1815, on the corner of Howard and Main Streets, opposite Heacock's, which was kept many years, and was subsequently occupied by Simeon Jennings as a residence and office.
Isaac Wilson built a hotel of brick of the vacant lot opposite Jacob Heaton's residence (date unknown), which was kept by Henry Mull and others, and subsequently was torn down. Temperance hotels were kept by Lyman Knapp and Aaron Hise, and others have kept hotels at different times.
FAIRS AT SALEM.
* Compiled from notes in the first number of the first volume of the Village Register, dated Apr. 12, 1842
† Contributed by Joseph Fawcett
* One account, which does not appear to be well authenticated, claims that the first newspaper in Salem was the Gun-Boat, published in Joseph Saxton's tan-house, by Robert Fee, from Pennsylvania.
POSTMASTERS AND STAGE-ROUTES.
OHIO MUTUAL FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY.
PITTSBURGH, FORT WAYNE AND CHICAGO RAILROAD.
INCORPORATED COMPANIES - BANKS.
BANK OF SALEM
This bank is a private institution, and was organized in April, 1872, by Boone & Campbell, by whom it is still continued. Business was commenced on the corner of Depot and Main Streets, and in April, 1878, was removed to Pow's Building, corner of Main Street and Broadway.
H. GREINER & CO.
This institution was organized as a private bank, Jan. 1, 1853, by Thomas & Greiner. Upon the death of Mr. Thomas, in 1864, it was continued by Mr. Greiner for about a year and a half, when, in 1866, Mr. Boone became associated with Mr. Greiner. Jan. 1, 1871, the business passed into the hands of the present firm, by whom it is continued. They occupy a building erected for their banking business in 1858.
THE CROWBAR LAW.
Salem became the scene of a short war, begun and carried on about 1853 or 1854 to test the constitutionality of a law. The Democratic party had come into power, and the legislature of Ohio had passed a law authorizing the county treasurer to levy and collect taxes additional to those called for by the charter.
The State Bank of Salem being the only bank in the county, it was determined to test against it the validity of the law. J. H. Quinn, county treasurer, came up from New Lisbon with a posse of ten men and demanded the taxes, which were refused. After a second attempt he obtained possession of the bank, and, not having the keys to the vault, finally forced an entrance with crowbars, but found no money. Thorough search being made, there were found in the chmney-flue a number of bags of coin, with which the sheriff retired; but the end was not yet. Suit was afterwards brought by the bank, the action of its officers sustained, and the law eventually repealed. The odious enactment became known as the "Crowbar Law."
During the Rebellion the township of Perry, including subscriptions made by citizens, paid in bounties the sum of $11,895 under the calls of 863 and 1864. Thirty men being the quota for the last call, the township paid for each recruit $100, which amount the subscription increased to about $170.
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
COLUMBIANA COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights