OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
CRAWFORD COUNTY,  OHIO
History & Genealogy

CITIES, TOWNSHIPS, ETC

Crawford County, Ohio  was created in 1820 and later organized in 1836. 
It was named for Colonel William Crawford, a soldier during the American Revolution.
Crawford County includes 16 Townships.

For More about the Townships,
See History of Crawford Co., Ohio publ. 1881

(In process)
For more information, please visit Wikipedia

AUBURN
  ----- Mechanicsburg is an unincorporated community in Auburn Twp.ds, Crawford Co., OH.  Mechanicsburg was founded circa 1845 and was so named because many of its original inhabitants had the occupation of mechanic, such as blacksmith, carpenter and cooper.
----- Tiro
----- Waynesburg is an unincorporated community in Auburn Twp., Crawford Co., OH.  Waynesburg was platted in 1833.  It was named for General Anthony Wayne.
BUCYRUS (City)
CRESTLINE (City) ----- Crestline is a village in Crawford and Richland Counties.  It is the third largest municipality in Crawford County.  It is part of the Bucyrus Micropolitan Statistical Area, while the small portion of the village that exceeds into Richland County and is considered part of the Mansfield Metropolitan Statistical Area.
BUCYRUS TWP.
CHATFIELD TWP.
  ----- Chatfield is a village in Crawford Co., OH
CRANBERRY TOWNSHIP was founded in the 1820s.  It was named from a cranberry marsh in the southwestern part.  It is the only Cranberry Township statewide.
  ----- New Washington, OH is a village in Cranberry Township, Crawford Co., OH.  It was laid out in 1833 and incorporated in 1874.
DALLAS TOWNSHIP was organized in 1845.  It was named for George M. Dallas, a U. S. Senator from Pennsylvania.
  ----- Monnett is an unincorporated community in Dallas Twp., Crawford Co., OH.
GALION (City)
HOLMES TOWNSHIP was named for Deputy Surveyor General Samuel Holmes.
JACKSON TOWNSHIP was created in 1835.  It was named for Andrew Jackson.
JEFFERSON TOWNSHIP was established in 1873.  It was named for President Thomas Jefferson.
  ----- Middletown is an unincorporated community in Jefferson Twp., Crawford Co., OH.  Middletown was laid out circa 1835.
----- Leesville is an unincorporated community in Jefferson Twp, Crawford Co., OH.  Leesville was laid out in 1829 by Robert Lee, Sr., and named for him.
LIBERTY TOWNSHIP was founded in 1825.
  ----- Sulphur Springs is a census designated place in eastern Liberty Twp., Crawford Co., OH.  A former variant name was Annapolis.  A post office called Sulphur Springs has been in operation since 1846.  The community was named for a sulphur mineral springs near the original town site.
LYKENS TOWNSHIP was founded in about 1832.  It was named after Lykens, Pennsylvania.
  ----- Brokensword is an unincorporated community on the board between the Holmes and Lykens townships of Crawford Co., OH.   A post office called Brokensword was established in 1837, and remained in operation until 1906.  The community takes its name from nearby Broken Sword Creek.
----- Lykens is an unincorporated community in Lykens Township, Crawford Co., OH.  Lykens was laid out in 1870.
POLK TOWNSHIP was named for President James K. Polk.
  ----- Galion
SANDUSKY TOWNSHIP was named from the Sandusky River, which flows through its southern part.
TEXAS TOWNSHIP was organized in 1845.  Texas annexation was at that time a hot political topic, hence the name.
  ----- Benton is an unincorporated community in Texas Twp., Crawford Co., OH.  Benton was laid out in 1841, and named for Thomas Hart Benton, a U. S. Senator from Missouri.
TOD TOWNSHIP was named for David Tod, 25th Governor of Ohio.
  ----- Oceola is in central Tod Township, Crawford Co., OH.  It was laid out in 1842.  The community was named for Osceola, the leader of the Seminole in Florida.  A post office called Oceola has been in operation since 1840.
VERNON TOWNSHIP was established in 1825.
  ----- DeKalb is an unincorporated community in Vernon Twp., Crawford Co., OH.  DeKalb was platted in 1835.  A post office called DeKalb was established in 1833, and remained in operation until 1882.
----- West Liberty is an unincorporated community in Vernon Twp., Crawford Co., OH.  West Liberty was laid out in 1835.
WHETSTONE TOWNSHIP was formed in teh 1820s.  It was named from Whetstone Creek.
  ----- North Robinson Village was laid out in 1861.   It was named for the Robinson family of pioneer settlers.  It is located on the township line between Jefferson and Whetstone Townships.
----- New Winchester is an unincorporated community in Whetstone Twp., Crawford Co., OH.  New Winchester was laid out in 1835.
----- Olentangy is an unincorporated community in Whetstone Twp., Crawford Co., OH.   Olentangy was laid out in 1840.  The community takes its name from the nearby Olentangy River.
OTHER UNINCORPORATED COMMUNITIES:
  ----- Auburn Center
  ----- Brandywine
  ----- Gardner
  ----- Jackson
  ----- Lemert
  ----- Plankton
  ----- Ridgetown
  ----- Spore

.

CLICK HERE to Return to
CRAWFORD COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights