WHO WERE NOT EARLY PIONEERS
Pt. 1 -
Mr. Kauffman was a native of
Baltimore, Md. He was a Lancaster
druggist for forty-five years. He was
a very quiet, unassuming man, industrious
and attentive to business, and in the end
successful. He came to Lancaster in
the year 1824 from Baltimore, Md. He
opened a store on the lot of F. A. Foster
in a frame building, which has since been
removed and a three- story brick erected in
its place by F. A. Foster. When F.
A. Foster retired from business, Mr.
Kauffman purchased the building.
After a few years of successful business,
George Kauffman was tempted to
en- gage in outside business and to endorse
for friends, and thus lost all that he had
accumulated up to that time. His
losses are stated on good authority to have
been as high as thirty thousand dollars.
He rallied again, got upon a sound footing,
and ac- cumulated a handsome fortune. He
married Miss Henrietta Beecher, niece of
General Beecher, who at the time
was here on a visit to her sister, Mrs.
Dr. White. She was an amiable,
Christian woman and a good wife and mother.
For a few years of his business career M.
B. Gregory, his wifeís nephew, was his
partner in business. Mr.
Kauffman was at one time the partner of
John T. Brasee in the milling
CAMPBELL, RUDISILL &
firm was composed of John T. Barr, of
Baltimore, Md., Frank Campbell, of
Chillicothe, and Henry Rudisill.
They opened a store in Lancaster in the year
1824 and continued it as late as 1834.
When the firm dissolved, Rudisill
moved to Fort Wayne, Ind., where he became a
HENRY MATTHEWS &
partner of Matthews was his
brother-in-law, Joel Buttles, of
Columbus. They opened a stock of as-
sorted dry goods in the year 1824.
March 18, 1830, they admitted their clerk,
Thomas Reed, into the firm
without a change in the name. In the
year 1832 Gen. William J. Reese
purchased the interest of Matthews
and Buttles and continued the
business with Thomas Reed.
Henry Matthews was a very
prominent member of the Methodist Church and
a local preacher. He had been
traveling preacher of that Church and in the
year 1819 traveled the Hockhocking circuit,
included Lancaster. We have not been
able to ascertain what became of him after
he ceased to be a merchant.
GEORGE H. SMITH.
Mr. Smith was a native of
Virginia and came to Lancaster in the year
1822. He began life as a tailor, but
soon enlarged his business and became a
merchant tailor. In 1837 his partner
was Christian Lochman.
In 1839 Theodore Tong became
his partner, the firm name being Smith
and Tong. This partnership
continued until the year 1853, each then
opening a store upon his own account.
In 1858 Smith retired from business
and removed to his farm in Greenfield
Township; but in a few years he tired of
country life and returned to town.
George H. Smith was an honest man and
much respected, and during his life a member
of the Methodist Church. His wife was
a sister of Mrs. Hocking H. Hunter
and a daughter of an honored citizen,
Samuel Matlack, originally from
Fayette County, Pa.
Daniel Sifford arrived in
Lancaster, April 1, 1827, from Frederick,
Md. Mr. Sifford was a
carpenter by trade and built many good
houses in Lancaster, among them the houses
of Judge Irvin, Newton
Schleich, Gilbert Devol,
and Judge Whitman. He
built his own house on Main Street, and the
Ainsworth Block now owned by
Thomas Sturgeon. In 1867 he
built a fine residence for his daughter on
High Street. He superintended the
building of the Episcopal and English
Lutheran churches. In 1835 he
purchased a hard- ware store, which he
conducted but one year. In 1837 he was
appointed postmaster of Lancaster, and held
the office until 1841. In 1852 he made
the trip to Cali-
fornia, where he remained two years.
In 1856 he built the Sifford and
Sturgeon Block on Main Street^
Lancaster. When completed Sifford
and Sturgeon opened a drug store in
the east room. In 1860 Sturgeon sold
his interest to Sifford, whose son
John at time of his death was a partner.
Sifford was an energetic, industrious
man, but he had some reverses and did not
leave a very large estate. He read
good books, was fond of flowers, and was a
man of good taste, three good things in any
JULIUS W. DUMONT
was an educated German druggist. He
opened a fine drug store in Lancaster in
1832. He was an energetic, industrious
man, but did not make a success of his
business. He was an eccentric, and one
of his visionary projects was to lay out the
town of Dumontville, build a hotel, and open
a dry goods store. His various
business operations proved a failure and he
was compelled to sell out, which he did
April 26th, 1839, to Bury & Lamb.
January 8, 1840, Lamb disposed of his
interest to George G. Beck.
Bury died in 1845 and Beck
continued the business alone until 1850. In
this year he sold out to E. L. Slocum,
and in 1854 H. B. Hunter purchased an
interest in the store and became a partner
of Slocum, this partnership being
closed in 1855 by a division of the stock,
Slocum continuing the business at the
old stand. In 1864 E. B. White
became a partner of Slocum, the firm
being known as Slocum & White.
In a few years Slocum sold out to
White, who continued the business.
One of the expedients of Dumont was to issue
shinplasters, promises to pay; the writer
remembers carrying one for many years when a
GEORGE G. BECK
Beck was the son of Jacob Beck, Sr.
He was born January 13, 1816, on the spot
where he lived all of his life and where he
died April 24, 1885. When a boy he
acquired the trade of a tanner at the old
Fahnestock tannery, well known as the
old Sutzen tannery, west of town near the
river. In 1835 he entered the drug
store of Julius W. Dumont as a
clerk,, where he remained until Dumont sold
to Bury & Lamb in 1839, when he then
became the clerk of that firm. Lamb
did not remain in the business long and
G. G. Beck became Buryís partner
January 8, 1840. In 1843 they removed
their store to the King building.
In 1845 Mr. Beck, on the death of
Bury, purchased of the heirs their
interest in both stock and building and
continued the business until 1850, when he
sold out to E. L. Slocum. In
the year 1856 he invested' money in the
Starch Company, became a director, and was
elected president. He continued to
hold this position until the year 1860, when
the concern was closed up. He then
returned to the drug business, managing the
business of H. H. Hunter on the
Shaefler corner for a few years, when he
purchased the stock and outfit of Mr.
Hunter. In 1881 he bought the
Shaeffer Block and continued his
business up to the time of his death.
Mr. Beck was an honorable
business man and highly respected.
During the latter years of his life his son
John was a partner under the name of
G. G. Beck & Son, and he still
continues the business. Mr.
Beck was all his life a prominent and
devoted member of the Lutheran Church, and
one of the leading spirits in the
preliminary work and in the construction,
of the new St. Peterís church, which is a
monument to its builders and an ornament to
Lancaster. At the time of his death
Mr. Beck was sixty-nine years of
JOSIAH AND J.
Reeves came here from Chillicothe, Ohio,
June 1, 1837, and opened a store in the
Green corner, but their business career was
not of many yearsí duration. They got
into litigation and H. H. Hunter was
appointed by the court as assignee to close
up their business, June, 1838. J. D.
Reeves returned to Chillicothe, where he
resumed business and continued it until the
great fire of 1852. His wife was a
daughter of Samuel Medary, the
great editor of the Ohio Statesman.
Josiah Reeves married Martha
T., the only child of Judge
Graybill, and they became the parents of
John G. Reeves, an attorney of
Lancaster. After closing up his
business here, he removed to Columbus, where
he was engaged in business up to the date of
his death. He was born in Culpepper
County, Va., and died in Columbus in the
year 1848. Judge Owen T. Reeves,
of Bloomington, Ill., is a son of his
brother. Rev. Wm. Reeves. John G.
Reeves, on the death of his mother, was
taken to the home of his grandfather,
John Graybill, where he was
brought up. In connection with his dry
goods store, Josiah Reeves
conducted a small merchant tailoring
establishment, of which Henry
Springer was the manager. Before
the death of Reeves, Springer
came to Lancaster. Judge John
Graybill, father-in-law of Josiah
Reeves, was a gentleman of the old
school, a plain, honest.
worthy man. He resided on his farm
near town. In 1813 he was an ensign in
First Company, Second Battalion, Fourth
Regiment, Second Brigade, Third Division
Ohio Militia. In 1816 he was promoted
to lieutenant. In 1832 and 34 he was
county commissioner. In 1836 and 1837
he was a member of the Ohio Legislature,
associated with Wm. Medill.
In 1838 he was appointed associate judge of
the court of common pleas and served one
term. He was a soldier of the war of
1812, and for many years a justice of the
peace. He died full of years and
Kutz came to Lancaster from Pennsylvania
in 1836 and formed a partnership with
John Reber, his brother-in-law,
then in the dry goods business. They
were good merchants and carried on a
profitable business on a large scale.
They were speculators and farmers, and
during the partnership their outside
ventures were not profitable. Mr.
Kutz was a good merchant, popular
with all classes, and a splendid salesman,
and it is doubtful if he ever had his equal
in this respect in Lancaster. In the
year 1853 S. A. Foulke and Jacob
Ulrick became members of the firm,
under the name of Reber, Kutz
Co. January 1, 1856, Foulke
withdrew and Philip Rising
took his place, and the name of the new firm
was Kutz, Reber & Co. In
1861 Rising sold out to Reber
& Kutz, Mr. Ulrick
retaining his interest. Mr.
Kutz was associated with John
Reber in handling shorthorn cattle, but
not in his importation of horses.
While Mr. Reber for many years
was merely a nominal member of the dry goods
firm, Mr. Kutz was the
manager and the leading salesman. J.
C. Ulrick and Uriah R. Bell were
members of this old firm for two or three
years after the death of Mr. Kutz.
Julian was a Lancaster merchant for a
few years and Jacob Ulrick was
at one time his partner in the dry goods
business. Ulrick sold his
interest to young Foresman, brother
of Charles Foresman of
Rushville. Foresman retired in
1853. About this time Julian
sold out to James Hedges, who
continued the business but a short time when
he sold out to Julian, who made every
effort to keep afloat, but was soon
compelled to close up. At the time the
Green Block was destroyed, he occupied one
of the rooms destroyed by fire. Julian
commanded a company in the Second Ohio
Regiment in the Mexican War. He was
the author of a book for computing interest,
which met with some favor. His wife was the
youngest daughter of General
Julian died in Chicago, 1896.
This firm came
from Somerset, Ohio, with a stock of goods
in 1833. John Slevin,
one of the firm, afterwards made a name for
himself in Cincinnati as a wholesale
merchant as one of the firm of J. & J.
Slevin. In 1838 the stock of Slevins
& Phelan was sold to Workman & Co.,
who in the fall of 1840 removed to Chauncey,
Ohio. Workmanís wife was a
niece of the Hon. Thomas
Ewing and a sister of Mrs.
John Garaghty. After
retiring from business, Mr. Phelan
purchased a large farm on the Baltimore
road, which he owned at the time of his
When the city of Columbus began to show signs of rapid
growth, he purchased eighty acres of land
where the Union Station now stands.
This with other investments made him a
handsome fortune. William
Phelanís first wife was Susan
Arnold, daughter of Henry
Arnold. His second wife was the
widow of John Gillespie, and
the mother of Mrs. Judge P. B. Ewing.
He left the principal part of his estate to
the University of Notre Dame, Indiana.
MYERS & ANSPACH
This firm sold
dry goods in Lancaster from May, 1836, to
January 9, 1840. Anspach sold
out to Myers and Beck.
Beck in turn in 1843 sold out to
Anderson, brother of Sam. Anderson
of Pleasant Township, came to
Lancaster early in the thirties; the year is
not known. In the year 1837 he was a
partner of John Ewing, who
died in 1838. He was at one time the
proprietor of a bookstore, and built a
business block of two rooms on the
Pricker lot, occupying one room himself.
He dealt largely in tobacco, and his losses
in this business compelled him to close up.
He moved to California, and from thence to
Portland, Oregon. In Portland he was a
successful business man for more than thirty
JOHN C. WEAVER
Weaver was a son of Adam
Weaver and a native of Lancaster. In
1839 he, in connection with his
brother-in-law, Philip Bope,
engaged in the hardware business. In
1842 he sold his interest to Mr. Bope.
In 1844 he opened a new store on his own
May 17, 1849, he made his clerk, Thomas
H. White, a member of the firm. In
the latter part of 1849 he sold his entire
stock to Effinger, White &
Latta. During the few years that
he was a retired capitalist, he was
president of the Savings Institute. In
1859 he purchased the store of Effinger,
White & Latta, who had failed
in business. In a year or two
Augustus Mithoff purchased an
interest and became a partner, and in a few
years purchased Weaverís interest.
Mr. Weaver was an industrious
and careful merchant, and retired with a
competency. G. A. Mithoff sold
out to Martens, Hanson &
Reinmund. In a brief time
Reinmund retired, selling his interest
to his partners. In three or four
years Hanson sold out to his partner,
Martens. The firm is now H.
A. Martens & Co.
Bope was born in Fairfield County.
He began life in Lancaster as clerk for
Cassel & Levering, August, 1829.
September, 1831, he became clerk for
Benjamin Connell. In 1832
he removed to Winchester, Adams County,
where he sold dry goods on his own account
until 1839, when he returned to Lancaster.
Here he opened a hardware store, his partner
being John C. Weaver, who retired in
1842. In 1851 Jacob F. Beck was
his partner for a period of eight months.
Mr. Bope, being alone and in
bad health, sold out to John
Effinger. May, 1855 he engaged in
the dry. goods business, and in the year
1859 sold his goods to Edson B. Olds,
who came to Lancaster from Circleville.
He became clerk for Dr. Olds
and so remained until 1862. In 1864 he
was appointed by Colonel Moulton
as inspector of army clothing at Cincinnati
army depot. Mr. Bope
spent many years of his old age as traveling
salesman. He reared and educated a
large family of children and lived the life
of an honest man, Mr. Bope was
an ardent politician, first as a Whig and
last as a Republican; and was never so happy
as when discussing his favorite political
topics. He was a friend of the union
schools, a Sunday school superintendent, and
a very prominent Odd Fellow. His wife
was a daughter of Adam Weaver,
one of the pioneers.
T. N. & T. U. REED
T. N. & T. U.
Reed came from Rushville with a stock of
goods in 1837. They did not make a
success of it and soon closed up their
Kendall came to Lancaster from
Elyria, Ohio, and opened a nice dry goods
store in the year 1846. He adopted the
cash plan, sold some leading articles at low
rates and closed up his store in five years,
with a clear profit of $15,000. The
writer remembers that there used to be a
great rush to Frank Kendallís
Williams & Ackley were merchants
in Lancaster. After one yearís
experience they sold to Henry
Dittoe, of Somerset, who soon tired of
his bargain and returned to his old home,
sometime in the year 1840.
Bates was a dry goods merchant in
Lancaster in 1834 and in 1835.
WESLEY J. ALKIRE
Alkire was a dry goods merchant in
Lancaster in the year 1837. For a time the
firm was Alkire & Parker.
Their business was unsuccessful and was
closed out in 1841.
sold dry goods in Lancaster in 1836, and,
according to the old file of newspapers, was
in business in 1839.
Rising is a native of Germany. He
came with his parents to America when a
small boy. From 1839 to 1843 he was a
grocerís clerk. He then moved to Logan,
where he was a clerk for two years.
Returning to Lancaster, he was employed as
clerk by Wise & Hilliard for a
few months. He then entered the store
of Reber & Kutz and was soon
their bookkeeper and confidential man.
In 1853 he became a partner of John
Lyons in the dry goods business, but
in 1856 sold his stock to Reber &
Kutz, and became their partner under the
name of Kutz, Reber & Co.
In 1861 he sold his interest to his partners and opened
a large clothing store upon his own account,
laying here the foundation of his fortune.
He purchased the Beecher corner, and erected
upon it a fine business block. In one of the
rooms he, with Peter Miller
and Rudolph Seipel, under name
of Rising, Miller & Seipel,
continued to conduct a profitable clothing
business. In 1879 Rising and
Seipel retired, and the business was
continued by Peter Miller,
Gerhard Miller and Rudolph
Rising under the name of Peter
Miller & Co., continuing in business
In the year 1868 P. Rising had, in
connection with Abraham Beery and
Wm. Brown, established a dry goods store
in the west room of his Masonic Block, under
the name of Beery, Brown & Co.
This firm continued in business until 1874,
when Rising purchased the interest of his
partners. In 1877 he sold to A.
Stutson, who conducted a profitable
business for several years.
Mr. Rising throughout his life has been an
industrious and successful business man.
In 1892 he built the Fairfield County Bank
building, of which bank he is president.
He owns and occupies the handsome residence
built by Wm. J. Reese in 1834.
was a merchant of Lancaster from 1840 to
1849, and for many years a retired citizen
of means, esteemed for his social and
business qualities, and well known
integrity. The story of his life is
best told by himself, written upon the fly
leaf of his German Bible. L.
Lobenthal was born October 24, 1797, in
Schwaback near Nuremburg in the kingdom of
Bavaria. Left the home of his nativity
in the year 1811 for Frankfort-on-the-Main,
at which place, though very young, was
serving in a dry goods store up to 1814,
Left the latter city for Manheim, where he
also served in a dry goods store until 1829.
Languishing for the land of liberty he
emigrated from Rotterdam, September, 1829,
in the brig Mexico, for Portland, state of
Maine, at which place he arrived in November
the same year. To make his mother
tongue available, he left the latter place
and went to Philadelphia and commenced
peddling dry goods through that state and
continued the same until January, 1853.
Having cultivated many friends and desirous
to rest his head on
his own pillow, he opened a store in
Hellerstown, Pa., in April, 1833, and
remained successful in business until the
spring of 1840, when he, his wife, and one
child (Leo) in company with Mr.
Joseph Reinmund and his family emigrated
to Lancaster, Ohio.
Lancaster, July 6, 1848.
These two families came to Lancaster by canal boat,
where Lobenthal and Reinmund
opened a store and the partnership continued
two years. Reinmund retired and
Lobenthal continued the business alone
until 1849. For a few years he ran a
flouring mill on Rush Creek, which he sold
in 1852 and permanently retired from
business. He was a director of the
Lancaster Savings Institute. During
his retired life he was accustomed to
receive his friends on New Yearís Day, and
it was always an enjoyable occasion.
He died while on a visit to his farm near
Galion, Ohio, at the home of his son Leo.
Mr. Lobenthal crossed the ocean in
the same ship with Charles Reemelin
and Frederick Rammelsburg, late of
Cincinnati, Ohio. The friend- ship
formed on that voyage continued through
life. One of its results was the
location of the Ohio Reform School at
Lancaster. Mr. Lobenthals
influence brought Mr. Reemelin
to Lancaster. The three gentlemen were
poor German boys when they landed in
America; but, by dint of industry,
frugality, and integrity, they became
wealthy and influential citizens of their
adopted country. Henry J. Reinmund,
of Lancaster, married a daughter of
Rammelsburg, and Miss Wheat,
the daughter of a Lancaster woman, became
the wife of one of his sons. James
W. Slocum, of Lancaster married a
daughter of Charles Reemelin.
Joseph Reinmund came to
Lancaster in 1840 in company with Lippen
Lobenthal. They immediately
opened a dry goods store. This
partnership continued about two years.
Reinmund retired from the firm, and
opened a store in connection with his son
and son-in-law, Jacob F. Beck, under
the name of Reinmund, Son, & Beck.
In 1851 Beck sold his interest to his
partners and opened a store on his own
account. January, 1852, Joseph
Reinmund sold his interest to John D.
Martin. In the year 1854 B. F.
Reinmund sold his interest in the store
to Emanuel and Daniel Giesy, and entered the
bank of Martin & Co. as cashier. In two
yearsí time the Giesy Brothers sold to
Richard Hooker, and Martin &
Hooker in time sold to Lyons & Son.
Upon the death of Jacob F. Beck, Joseph
Reinmund then in his old age took his
place behind the counter and conducted the
business for his daughter Eliza
Beck, and assisted her in rearing a
family of boys. He was thus engaged
for several years until the boys whom he had
instructed were able to take charge of the
business. He made no charge for his
services. Mr. Reinmund
was a good business man and had the
confidence of the people of Lancaster.
He lived to a green old age. His
daughter conducted the business at the old
stand until the year 1897. Jacob F.
Beck, January 18, 1840, purchased the
interest of William Anspach,
and with his brother-in-law, Matthew
Myers, conducted the store for a term
of three years, or until September, 1843,
when he became a partner of Joseph
Reinmund as above stated.
Wm. Anspach left Lancaster in 1840 for Philadel-
phia, where he soon established himself in
business. In time he became a member
of a large wholesale establishment and
accumulated a fortune estimated at more than
one million dollars. His daughter
married a Stanton, a nephew of Edwin M.
Stanton, Secretary of War under
B. F. REINMUND
B. F. Reinmund was born April 29,
1820, in Northumberland County, Pa. He
came with his father to Lancaster in 1840.
He was a clerk for Lobenthal &
Reinmund and a member of the firm of
Reinmund, Son & Beck,
Beck being his brother-in-law. He was a
good business man and honorable in his
dealings. When Martin &
Company established their bank, he
became the cashier and served in that
capacity for several years. He was a
painstaking, careful business man and had
the confidence of business men and the
general public. Retiring from the
bank, he engaged in the insurance business,
which he followed successfully for the
remainder of his life. He was the
husband of the youngest daughter of Henry
Arnold and in this way connected with many
of the leading families of Lancaster,
Mansfield and Bucyrus.
He died a comparatively young man. For more than
twenty years he was a leading member of the
English Lutheran Church. His son,
Henry J. Reinmund, was Insurance
Commissioner under Governor
Hoadley. He is now a prominent
insurance man of New York. His son,
Bowman F. Reinmund, is engaged in
the insurance business at Galesburg,
was the son of John Latta, the old
merchant. He was a favored child, had
the advantages of the Lancaster schools, and
was a graduate of Athens University in 1843.
His father left him a handsome fortune, and
in due time he was married to Miss
Elizabeth Smith, daughter of
James Smith the merchant, and
step-daughter of Major Grubb.
Wm. Latta engaged in business with Thos.
H. White and John Effinger
under the name of Effinger, White
& Latta, and for several years they
did a good business, but finally closed out
at a loss.
Wm. Latta was well known upon the streets of
Lancaster for twenty-five or thirty years,
and was a genial pleasant gentleman.
His family occupied a highly respectable
position in the society of Lancaster.
In the year 1859 Mr. Latta was
engaged in the milling business, and it was
during this year that the boilers of his
mill blew up.
For a few years he was established in a nice country
home just west of town, which the good taste
of his wife adorned and beautified.
Springer in 1849 was conducting a
clothing store. In 1850 the firm name became
Springer & Trout, H. G. Trout having
purchased an interest. This business
continued for nine years, when Springer
withdrew. In 1861 Springer
repurchased the stock and conducted the
Late in 1861 he was appointed sutler to the Seventeenth
Ohio Regiment and followed the fortunes of
his regiment during the war. Retiring
from the army.
he moved with his family to Iowa and engaged
in raising stock. He did not remain in
Iowa long, but returned to Lancaster.
For years he was a traveling salesman and ceased only
when he became a hopeless paralytic.
At this writing he occupies the bed of an
invalid and with Christian fortitude endures
his affliction. Springer is an
honest man and a genial, pleasant gentleman.
Henry Springer was born August 23, 1822. Mr.
Springer was an orphan and was
brought up in the family of Judge
Graybill, and went with the Judgeís
son-in-law. Reeves, to
Columbus. Springer was present
in the Presbyterian Church, when the great
panic occurred on a public Masonic occasion,
probably as early as 1841. He got out,
but could never tell how, rode home and told
Judge Graybill that the church
had fallen down and that many people were
It was fortunate that this panic was not more serious.
Many people jumped from the high second
story windows to the ground, but no one was
very seriously injured.
Since writing this sketch Henry Springer
departed this life, December 4, 1897.
was born in Milton, Penn., November 15,
1829. There he mastered the tailoring trade.
He came to Lancaster July 24, 1847, and went
to work for Henry Springer,
continuing to work for him until the year
1850, when they became partners. This
partnership continued until 1860, when he
accepted the position of chief cutter for
Philip Rising. Here he
continued until 1867, when he became a
partner with Orrin E. Peters and
John Reber in the clothing and
merchant tailoring business under the name
of Peters, Trout & Co.
In 1876 John Reber retired from the firm
and the business was continued by Peters
and Trout, and thenceforth known as
the ďTemple of Fashion.Ē They occupied
first the Marcuson room, then a room in
Maccracken block, and later a room in
the J. C. Weaver block. They
kept salesmen on the road taking measures,
and selling suits by sample, and their
business grew to immense size, the sales
amounting to 185,000 per annum (employing
They built what is known as the ďTemple of Fashion,Ē
corner of public square and Broad Street,
which they occupied in the spring of 1882.
This is one of the largest and most imposing
buildings in the city.
Peters removed to Cincinnati in 1886, but did
not sell his interests here.
In 1894 Trout purchased the interest of
Peters in the real estate and became the
sole owner, and in January, 1896, his
interest in the stock, becoming sole owner.
This firm was widely and favorably known.
H. G. Trout was married to Ruth Card,
September, 1849. For fifty years H. G.
Trout has been a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church of Lancaster, and connected
during that time with the Sunday-school,
either as teacher or superintendent.
John M. Creed was the superintendent in 1847 and
first appointed Mr. Trout as
Mr. Trout was for six years a prominent
member of the Lancaster school board.
He has been a trustee of the Lancaster camp
meeting from the beginning, twenty-four
years. He has been an official of the
Methodist Church continuously for forty-five
Peters from 1865 to 1867 was a partner of Peter
Gerhard Miller. He now resides in Cincinnati
and is the treasurer of the King Powder
Company and of the Peters Cartridge Company.
DR. EDSON B. OLDS
Dr. Edson B.
Olds, an old practitioner and druggist
of Circleville and a member of congress for
six years, making quite a reputation as
such, came to Lancaster in 1858 and
purchased the stocks of E. Julian and
P. Bope. He did a thriving
business for several years as a dry goods
He took an active part in politics, opposed the war of
1861, made violent and incendiary speeches
and was arrested by Secretary of War,
Stanton. He was for several months
confined in Fort Lafayette. He was an
able, shrewd politician.
About the close of the war he died suddenly at his home
His son, Joseph Olds, is one of the
prominent members of the Columbus bar and
recognized as an able lawyer.
MILLER & BROTHER
Miller and his brother Gerhard were
members of one of the leading clothing firms
of Lancaster for thirty years. They
were born in the Rhein Province, Prussia;
Peter, in June, 1831, and Gerhard,
in January, 1838. Both were tailors by
trade, having acquired the same in the old
country. Peter worked at his
trade in some of the principal cities of
Germany for two years, and then sailed for
America and landed in New York, November,
1853. He came to Lancaster in January,
1854, and engaged to work with Theodore
Tong, then one of the leading
merchant tailors of the city, as a coat
maker. Gerhard arrived in
in 1856 and was also employed by Mr.
Tong. Peter, on account
of failing health, gave up his job and
engaged as a clerk in Martin &
Hookerís dry goods store, afterwards
known as John Lyonís & Son.
During the war he clerked for Reber, Kutz
& Ulrick. In 1865 Orren
Peters, Peter and Gerhard
Miller formed' a partnership under
the name of Peters, Miller &
Bro., merchant tailoring and
clothing. In the year 1867 Orren
Peters withdrew from the firm and
Philip Rising took his place, and
the name of the firm was Rising,
Miller & Seiple (Rudloph).
In the year 1881 Rudolph Seiple
and Rising retired with $14,000 cash
each. The firm name was then changed
to Peter Miller & Co. and
included Peter and Gerhard
Miller and Rudolph Rising.
For years this firm gave employment to
seventy-five hands the year round.
Traveling men were kept on the road taking
measures and selling suits by sample.
Their trade extended over a large territory
and their business assumed large
proportions, their firm name being known far
In the year 1887 Gerhard Miller withdrew
from the firm with $20,000 cash. He
then established a store of his own in his
own building on Main Street, where he and
his sons continued to do a prosperous
business until his sudden death in 1890.
Gerhard left his family a handsome
From 1887 Peter Miller and Rudolph
Rising continued the business until
March, 1893, when Rudolph Rising
retired. Peter Miller
then continued the business on his own
account and soon thereafter moved to the new
The Miller brothers were honorable
business men- and have always been highly
esteemed in Lancaster. They came from
Germany to Lancaster with nothing
but their industrious habits and a needle,
and their career in business has been one
much above the average.
was a cabinetmaker and learned the business
with James A. Starling of Tarlton,
Ohio. In the year 1824 he came to
Lancaster, where he followed his trade for a
few years, abandoning it for the grocery
In 1853 he was a partner of P. Rising in the dry
goods business though still continuing his
John Lyons was a prominent grocery man for
many years, first on Shaeflerís
corner, where H. G. Troutís building
now stands, and later on Main Street.
He died insolvent long since and his family
soon followed him to the great Beyond.
JOHN L. TUTHILL
Tuthill was born in Otsego County, N.
Y., in 1808. In 1827 he went to New
York City, where in two years he acquired
the trade of a bookbinder. He came to
Lancaster in 1827 and in company with Mr.
Ackley opened a bindery and blank
book factory, adding to the stock an
assortment of books. In 1841 they sold
to Hopkins & Symonds.
Tuthill worked at bookbinding until 1847, when
he was appointed clerk in the war department
in Washington. In 1849 he again opened
a bookstore which he sold to John
Searles in 1851. In 1853 he was
appointed postmaster of Lancaster, holding
the position eight years. He was
succeeded as postmaster by C. M. L.
Wiseman, who held the office thirteen
years. About this time he became
editor of the Ohio Eagle. He formed a
partnership with A. Brennaman which
ended in 1865, Brennaman retiring.
Mr. Tuthill took his son in as
partner and for a short time W. L. Rigby,
but growing old and tired of the worry of
business, he turned it over to his son,
John C., who managed it for several
Mr. Tuthill was a man of ability and of high
character. He was a good political
writer and an able politician. For
years he was an influential member of the
THOS. U. WHITE
White was a native of Philadelphia and
came to Lancaster as an attorney-at-law in
1827. On the death of John
Herman, proprietor of the Ohio Eagle,
which occurred in 1833, he purchased that
paper. About the year 1834 he sold out
to John and Charles
Brough. Upon the death of
Edmund B. Thompson he was appointed
county auditor and held the position
Upon the death of Henry Drum, postmaster
during Andrew Jacksonís second
term, he was appointed postmaster of
With his sons he was for several years engaged in the
dry goods business. Finally retiring,
his son, Thomas, Jr., succeeded to
the business. The son closed out in a
year or two and went to Boston, Mass.
Thos. U. White retired to a farm in Hamilton
County, O., where he died.
Gates arrived in Lancaster May 5, 1826,
and opened a jewelry store. September
8, 1829, he was married to Henrietta
Noble, the daughter of a tailor of
that name who lived in a house that stood
where the front building of Mrs.
Effingerís property now
stands. Miss Mary Scofield and
John G. Willock were the attendants.
In 1846 he admitted to partnership a Mr.
Gosper, the partnership continuing until
1852. In 1857 Robert Gates
became interested in his fatherís business.
In his declining years James Gates
sold his stock to George H. Smith, Jr.
Mr. Gates was a lover of
music and a fine musician. In
1843 he was in charge of the music at the
celebration of the Hockhocking Canal at
Athens, Ohio. He was at one time a
teacher of the Lancaster Band. He was
a leading member of the Harmonic Society of
Lancaster. Mr. Gates had
a long and honorable career in Lancaster.
Fielding was born in Alexandria, Va., in
1803. He was a hatter by trade and
before coming to Lancaster he worked in the
chief eastern cities. He came to
Lancaster in the year 1833, where he carried
on a hat shop and a hat store, doing a good
business. During his residence in
Lancaster he was a member of the Methodist
Episcopal Church. He reared and
educated a large family of children. He died
in the year 1868.
G. A. AND
came to the United States in 1839 from
Hanover, Germany. For twelve years
they were merchants in Pennsylvania.
In 1841 they became residents in Lockville,
Fairfield County. Here they conducted
their mercantile business and in 1843 added
to it the whiskey distillery. When the
war came on and the whiskey tax was levied,
they had on hands several hundred gallons
which was exempt from tax.
The sale of this whiskey laid the foundation
of a large fortune. Tiring of
Lockville and their business, they sold out
and moved to Lancaster, where they soon
established themselves and were recognized
as leading citizens and enterprising
business men. G. A. Mithoff
purchased the large farm of Darius
Tallmadge west of town, established his
family there, made extensive improvements,
and it was his home the balance of his life.
He purchased an interest in J. C. Weaverís hard-
ware store and with his son Hector
took the management of the business.
He also purchased stock of the Hocking
Valley Bank and, upon the retirement of
Darius Tallmadge, became
president and so continued until his death.
His wife was a daughter of Captain
Augustus F. Witte. Mr. Mithoff was
a quiet, modest, unassuming gentleman, a
favorite in a large circle of friends and
highly esteemed by all who knew him.
Theodore Mithoff purchased the
town residence of D. Tallmadge on
Columbus Street in which his family still
reside. He purchased the Swan corner
and made many improvements, adding a story
and making of it a first-class hotel
building. In connection with his
brother-in-law, E. Becker, he
established the E. Becker Brewing
Company and operated a first-class brewery.
He purchased the old starch factory and
converted it into a first-class
manufacturing establishment, making
agricultural implements. He gave his
full time to this enterprise for many years
and made of it a success. He purchased
a controlling interest in the stock of the
Hocking Valley Bank, and upon the death of
his brother, G. A. Mithoff, he
was elected president. He held this
office with the exception of one year, 1883,
until his death
Mr. Mithoff was a warm-hearted, generous
man, full of life and pluck, with an energy
and industry that never flagged. His
death was a great loss to Lancaster.
His business ability and his capital were
devoted to the interests of his adopted
Becker was born in Hanover, Germany,
October 8, 1822. He received a liberal
German education and, when but fifteen years
of age, entered a mercantile establishment,
where he remained nine years. In November,
1846, he came with his parents to America.
His father died in New York and the mother
and children came on to Fairfield County,
Ohio, where they permanently settled.
For one year he was a merchantís clerk in
Lockville, and in 1846 became a clerk for
F. J. Boving, then in the grocery
business in Lancaster.
In the year 1850, Mr. Boving, tiring of
the business, sold out to Mr.
Becker, then an energetic and
industrious young man. In 1856
Becker sold out and moved to Sheboygan,
Wisconsin, where he remained three years.
In 1859 he returned to Lockville and purchased an
interest in the business of Mithoff
Brothers, then prosperous merchants
and distillers. Here he continued
until 1866. Soon thereafter he moved
to Lancaster and in 1868 engaged in the
brewing business under the name of Becker,
Ochs & Co. This business
prospered and in May, 1881, it was
incorporated as the E. Becker Brewing
Company, with a capacity of 15,000
barrels per day.
Mr. Becker was a quiet, pleasant
gentleman, a mod-
est but thorough business man and highly
esteemed wherever known. He died July
14, 1892, respected in life, honored in
Binninger was born in Lancaster, O., May
1, 1843. He served an apprenticeship to the
jewelry and clock business with his father,
and in 1858 went to Ft. Wayne, Ind., and
received instruction in a first- class
jewelry establishment. He returned to
Lancaster in 1863 and, with his father,
opened a small store, where he continued for
three years. For a year or two he did
business on the Scofield corner and
later in the Rising block, where he remained
a number of years.
He purchased the building on Main Street adjoining the
McSweeny block and opened up a
first-class store. Here he continued in
business up to the time of his death July 7,
Mr. Binninger was an industrious man, always
attentive to business, prompt and obliging.
The result was that he was successful and
accumulated a handsome estate.
He was a partner in the new Columbian block, the
handsomest business house in the city.
He was a partner and a director in the Farmers and
He was one of the bright business men of Lancaster.
He was a member of the company first organized to
prospect for gas in this field, with what
success is well known.
Mr. Binninger was a useful man and highly
esteemed in a large circle.
C. BUTCH L. C.
Butch is a
native of Pennsylvania. He came to
Lancaster in 1855 and opened a jewelry
store. He had a varied experience;
first he was burned out, next he was robbed
of nearly his entire stock. He served
in the Union Army eighteen months, but was
discharged on account of poor health.
In 1863 he commenced business again, at what
time cannot be stated. He soon sold
out and went to Nevada. In a few years
he returned to Lancaster and soon thereafter
moved to Circleville.
GEO. H. SMITH, JR.
In 1863 Mr.
Smith purchased the stock of James
Gates and has been continually in the
jewelry business since that date. He
is an industrious, attentive and obliging
man. He married a daughter of Dr.
E. B. Olds.
Binninger was a native of Germany.
He came to Lancaster and opened a jewelry
store in 1837 and followed the business in a
modest, quiet way until 1863, when he was
succeeded by his sons, P. W. and
John D. Binninger. John
does the repair work in the Binninger
store, a position he has acceptably and
faithfully filled for twenty-five years.
He is a quiet, respectable and worthy
citizen. He married a daughter of
Captain F. A. Steck.
HIRE H. C.
Hire came to
Lancaster in May, 1865, and opened a store
devoted exclusively to millinery and fancy
goods. He was the first merchant in
to open a store of this character. He
remained but a few years. When the
writer saw him last he was located in
Cleveland as a magnetic physician and doing
a profitable business.
Mr. Mayer was born in Germany.
In the. year 1854 he settled in Lancaster
and for four years was connected with
Justus Younghans in the brewing
business. His next venture was a
grocery store, and for a long time he was
located on the corner in the old Swan Hotel.
He lost his life by falling from the rocks
at the gorge below the rock mill at the
upper falls of the Hocking River.
These men both served in the army as good
soldiers. They opened a grocery on
Main Street in the year 1865, but continued
in business but a few years. One of
them married a daughter of Dr. Paul
John Wood came from Maysville,
Ky., and opened a dry goods store in 1829.
His partner in business for a short time was
Dr. Nelson, father of the late
General Nelson, who was killed
in Louisville by General Jeff C. Davis,
both of the Union Army. Dr.
Nelson did not like Lancaster and
returned to Kentucky. In 1833 John
Wood sold to his son, Daniel,
who in a few months died of consumption.
In 1833 his stock of goods was sold to
Rudisill & Co. Mrs.
Phoebe Daugherty, wife of the
late M. A. Daugherty, a good lawyer
and an honored citizen of Lancaster, was
John Woodís daughter.
Mrs. Daugherty during her
residence in Lancaster was a society leader