A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
Fairfield County, Ohio
History & Genealogy



History of Lancaster, Ohio

Lancaster People
The One Hundredth Anniversary of the
Settlement of the Spot Where Lancaster Stands
C. M. L. Wiseman
Publ.  Lancaster, Ohio
C. M. L. Wiseman, Publisher

Pt. 1 - Pt. 2

[Pg. 267]


     Mr. Kauffman was a native of Baltimore, Md.  He was a Lancaster druggist for forty-five years.  He was a very quiet, unassuming man, industrious and attentive to business, and in the end successful.  He came to Lancaster in the year 1824 from Baltimore, Md.  He opened a store on the lot of F. A. Foster in a frame building, which has since been removed and a three- story brick erected in its place by F. A. Foster. When F. A. Foster retired from business, Mr. Kauffman purchased the building.  After a few years of successful business, George Kauffman was tempted to en- gage in outside business and to endorse for friends, and thus lost all that he had accumulated up to that time.  His losses are stated on good authority to have been as high as thirty thousand dollars.  He rallied again, got upon a sound footing, and ac- cumulated a handsome fortune. He married Miss Henrietta Beecher, niece of General Beecher, who at the time was here on a visit to her sister, Mrs. Dr. White.  She was an amiable, Christian woman and a good wife and mother.  For a few years of his business career M. B. Gregory, his wifeís nephew, was his partner in business.  Mr. Kauffman was at one time the partner of John T. Brasee in the milling business.

[Pg. 268]


     The firm was composed of John T. Barr, of Baltimore, Md., Frank Campbell, of Chillicothe, and Henry Rudisill.  They opened a store in Lancaster in the year 1824 and continued it as late as 1834.  When the firm dissolved, Rudisill moved to Fort Wayne, Ind., where he became a wealthy man.


     The partner of Matthews was his brother-in-law, Joel Buttles, of Columbus.  They opened a stock of as- sorted dry goods in the year 1824.  March 18, 1830, they admitted their clerk, Thomas Reed, into the firm without a change in the name.  In the year 1832 Gen. William J. Reese purchased the interest of Matthews and Buttles and continued the business with Thomas ReedHenry Matthews was a very prominent member of the Methodist Church and a local preacher.  He had been traveling preacher of that Church and in the year 1819 traveled the Hockhocking circuit, which

[Pg. 269]
included Lancaster.  We have not been able to ascertain what became of him after he ceased to be a merchant.


     Mr. Smith was a native of Virginia and came to Lancaster in the year 1822.  He began life as a tailor, but soon enlarged his business and became a merchant tailor.  In 1837 his partner was Christian Lochman.  In 1839 Theodore Tong became his partner, the firm name being Smith and Tong.  This partnership continued until the year 1853, each then opening a store upon his own account.  In 1858 Smith retired from business and removed to his farm in Greenfield Township; but in a few years he tired of country life and returned to town.  George H. Smith was an honest man and much respected, and during his life a member of the Methodist Church.  His wife was a sister of Mrs. Hocking H. Hunter and a daughter of an honored citizen, Samuel Matlack, originally from Fayette County, Pa.


     Daniel Sifford arrived in Lancaster, April 1, 1827, from Frederick, Md.  Mr. Sifford was a carpenter by trade and built many good houses in Lancaster, among them the houses of Judge Irvin, Newton Schleich, Gilbert Devol, and Judge Whitman.  He built his own house on Main Street, and the Ainsworth Block now owned by Thomas Sturgeon.  In 1867 he built a fine residence for his daughter on High Street.  He superintended the building of the Episcopal and English Lutheran churches.  In 1835 he purchased a hard- ware store, which he conducted but one year.  In 1837 he was appointed postmaster of Lancaster, and held the office until 1841.  In 1852 he made the trip to Cali-

[Pg. 268]
fornia, where he remained two years.  In 1856 he built the Sifford and Sturgeon Block on Main Street^ Lancaster.  When completed Sifford and Sturgeon opened a drug store in the east room.  In 1860 Sturgeon sold his interest to Sifford, whose son John at time of his death was a partner.  Sifford was an energetic, industrious man, but he had some reverses and did not leave a very large estate.  He read good books, was fond of flowers, and was a man of good taste, three good things in any manís make-up.


     Mr. Dumont was an educated German druggist.  He opened a fine drug store in Lancaster in 1832.  He was an energetic, industrious man, but did not make a success of his business.  He was an eccentric, and one of his visionary projects was to lay out the town of Dumontville, build a hotel, and open a dry goods store.  His various business operations proved a failure and he was compelled to sell out, which he did April 26th, 1839, to Bury & Lamb. January 8, 1840, Lamb disposed of his interest to George G. Beck Bury died in 1845 and Beck continued the business alone until 1850. In this year he sold out to E. L. Slocum, and in 1854 H. B. Hunter purchased an interest in the store and became a partner of Slocum, this partnership being closed in 1855 by a division of the stock, Slocum continuing the business at the old stand.  In 1864 E. B. White became a partner of Slocum, the firm being known as Slocum & White. In a few years Slocum sold out to White, who continued the business.  One of the expedients of Dumont was to issue shinplasters, promises to pay; the writer remembers carrying one for many years when a youth.

[Pg. 271]


     George G. Beck was the son of Jacob Beck, Sr.  He was born January 13, 1816, on the spot where he lived all of his life and where he died April 24, 1885.  When a boy he acquired the trade of a tanner at the old Fahnestock tannery, well known as the old Sutzen tannery, west of town near the river.  In 1835 he entered the drug store of Julius W. Dumont as a clerk,, where he remained until Dumont sold to Bury & Lamb in 1839, when he then became the clerk of that firm.  Lamb did not remain in the business long and G. G. Beck became Buryís partner January 8, 1840.  In 1843 they removed their store to the King building.  In 1845 Mr. Beck, on the death of Bury, purchased of the heirs their interest in both stock and building and continued the business until 1850, when he sold out to E. L. Slocum.  In the year 1856 he invested' money in the Starch Company, became a director, and was elected president.  He continued to hold this position until the year 1860, when the concern was closed up.  He then returned to the drug business, managing the business of H. H. Hunter on the Shaefler corner for a few years, when he purchased the stock and outfit of Mr. Hunter. In 1881 he bought the Shaeffer Block and continued his business up to the time of his death.  Mr. Beck was an honorable business man and highly respected.  During the latter years of his life his son John was a partner under the name of G. G. Beck & Son, and he still continues the business.  Mr. Beck was all his life a prominent and devoted member of the Lutheran Church, and one of the leading spirits in the preliminary work and in the construction,

[Pg. 272]
of the new St. Peterís church, which is a monument to its builders and an ornament to Lancaster.  At the time of his death Mr. Beck was sixty-nine years of age.


     The Messrs. Reeves came here from Chillicothe, Ohio, June 1, 1837, and opened a store in the Green corner, but their business career was not of many yearsí duration.  They got into litigation and H. H. Hunter was appointed by the court as assignee to close up their business, June, 1838. J. D. Reeves returned to Chillicothe, where he resumed business and continued it until the great fire of 1852.  His wife was a daughter of Samuel Medary, the great editor of the Ohio Statesman. Josiah Reeves married Martha T., the only child of Judge Graybill, and they became the parents of John G. Reeves, an attorney of Lancaster.  After closing up his business here, he removed to Columbus, where he was engaged in business up to the date of his death.  He was born in Culpepper County, Va., and died in Columbus in the year 1848.  Judge Owen T. Reeves, of Bloomington, Ill., is a son of his brother.  Rev. Wm. Reeves. John G. Reeves, on the death of his mother, was taken to the home of his grandfather, John Graybill, where he was brought up.  In connection with his dry goods store, Josiah Reeves conducted a small merchant tailoring establishment, of which Henry Springer was the manager.  Before the death of Reeves, Springer came to Lancaster.  Judge John Graybill, father-in-law of Josiah Reeves, was a gentleman of the old school, a plain, honest.

[Pg. 273]
worthy man.  He resided on his farm near town.  In 1813 he was an ensign in First Company, Second Battalion, Fourth Regiment, Second Brigade, Third Division Ohio Militia.  In 1816 he was promoted to lieutenant.  In 1832 and 34 he was county commissioner.  In 1836 and 1837 he was a member of the Ohio Legislature, associated with Wm. Medill.  In 1838 he was appointed associate judge of the court of common pleas and served one term.  He was a soldier of the war of 1812, and for many years a justice of the peace.  He died full of years and honors.


     Mr. Kutz came to Lancaster from Pennsylvania in 1836 and formed a partnership with John Reber, his brother-in-law, then in the dry goods business.  They were good merchants and carried on a profitable business on a large scale.  They were speculators and farmers, and during the partnership their outside ventures were not profitable.  Mr. Kutz was a good merchant, popular with all classes, and a splendid salesman, and it is doubtful if he ever had his equal in this respect in Lancaster.  In the year 1853 S. A. Foulke and Jacob Ulrick became members of the firm, under the name of Reber, Kutz Co.  January 1, 1856, Foulke withdrew and Philip Rising took his place, and the name of the new firm was Kutz, Reber & Co.  In 1861 Rising sold out to Reber & Kutz, Mr. Ulrick retaining his interest.  Mr. Kutz was associated with John Reber in handling shorthorn cattle, but not in his importation of horses.  While Mr. Reber for many years was merely a nominal member of the dry goods firm, Mr. Kutz was the

[Pg. 274]
manager and the leading salesman.  J. C. Ulrick and Uriah R. Bell were members of this old firm for two or three years after the death of Mr. Kutz.


     Mr. Julian was a Lancaster merchant for a few years and Jacob Ulrick was at one time his partner in the dry goods business.  Ulrick sold his interest to young Foresman, brother of Charles Foresman of Rushville.  Foresman retired in 1853.  About this time Julian sold out to James Hedges, who continued the business but a short time when he sold out to Julian, who made every effort to keep afloat, but was soon compelled to close up.  At the time the Green Block was destroyed, he occupied one of the rooms destroyed by fire. Julian commanded a company in the Second Ohio Regiment in the Mexican War.  He was the author of a book for computing interest, which met with some favor. His wife was the youngest daughter of General SandersonCaptain Julian died in Chicago, 1896.


     This firm came from Somerset, Ohio, with a stock of goods in 1833.  John Slevin, one of the firm, afterwards made a name for himself in Cincinnati as a wholesale merchant as one of the firm of J. & J. Slevin. In 1838 the stock of Slevins & Phelan was sold to Workman & Co., who in the fall of 1840 removed to Chauncey, Ohio.  Workmanís wife was a niece of the Hon. Thomas Ewing and a sister of Mrs. John Garaghty.  After retiring from business, Mr. Phelan purchased a large farm on the Baltimore road, which he owned at the time of his death.

[Pg. 275]
     When the city of Columbus began to show signs of rapid growth, he purchased eighty acres of land where the Union Station now stands.  This with other investments made him a handsome fortune.  William Phelanís first wife was Susan Arnold, daughter of Henry Arnold.  His second wife was the widow of John Gillespie, and the mother of Mrs. Judge P. B. Ewing.  He left the principal part of his estate to the University of Notre Dame, Indiana.


     This firm sold dry goods in Lancaster from May, 1836, to January 9, 1840.  Anspach sold out to Myers and BeckBeck in turn in 1843 sold out to Myers.


     Levi Anderson, brother of Sam. Anderson of Pleasant Township, came to Lancaster early in the thirties; the year is not known.  In the year 1837 he was a partner of John Ewing, who died in 1838.  He was at one time the proprietor of a bookstore, and built a business block of two rooms on the Pricker lot, occupying one room himself.  He dealt largely in tobacco, and his losses in this business compelled him to close up.  He moved to California, and from thence to Portland, Oregon.  In Portland he was a successful business man for more than thirty years.


     Mr. Weaver was a son of Adam Weaver and a native of Lancaster. In 1839 he, in connection with his brother-in-law, Philip Bope, engaged in the hardware business.  In 1842 he sold his interest to Mr. Bope.  In 1844 he opened a new store on his own account.

[Pg. 276]
May 17, 1849, he made his clerk, Thomas H. White, a member of the firm.  In the latter part of 1849 he sold his entire stock to Effinger, White & Latta.  During the few years that he was a retired capitalist, he was president of the Savings Institute.  In 1859 he purchased the store of Effinger, White & Latta, who had failed in business.  In a year or two Augustus Mithoff purchased an interest and became a partner, and in a few years purchased Weaverís interest.  Mr. Weaver was an industrious and careful merchant, and retired with a competency.  G. A. Mithoff sold out to Martens, Hanson & Reinmund.  In a brief time Reinmund retired, selling his interest to his partners.  In three or four years Hanson sold out to his partner, Martens.  The firm is now H. A. Martens & Co.


     Mr. Bope was born in Fairfield County.  He began life in Lancaster as clerk for Cassel & Levering, August, 1829.  September, 1831, he became clerk for Benjamin Connell.  In 1832 he removed to Winchester, Adams County, where he sold dry goods on his own account until 1839, when he returned to Lancaster.  Here he opened a hardware store, his partner being John C. Weaver, who retired in 1842.  In 1851 Jacob F. Beck was his partner for a period of eight months.  Mr. Bope, being alone and in bad health, sold out to John Effinger.  May, 1855 he engaged in the dry. goods business, and in the year 1859 sold his goods to Edson B. Olds, who came to Lancaster from Circleville.  He became clerk for Dr. Olds and so remained until 1862.  In 1864 he was appointed by Colonel Moulton as inspector of army clothing at Cincinnati

[Pg. 277]
army depot.  Mr. Bope spent many years of his old age as traveling salesman.  He reared and educated a large family of children and lived the life of an honest man, Mr. Bope was an ardent politician, first as a Whig and last as a Republican; and was never so happy as when discussing his favorite political topics.  He was a friend of the union schools, a Sunday school superintendent, and a very prominent Odd Fellow.  His wife was a daughter of Adam Weaver, one of the pioneers.

T. N. & T. U. REED

     T. N. & T. U. Reed came from Rushville with a stock of goods in 1837.  They did not make a success of it and soon closed up their business.


     Francis Kendall came to Lancaster from Elyria, Ohio, and opened a nice dry goods store in the year 1846.  He adopted the cash plan, sold some leading articles at low rates and closed up his store in five years, with a clear profit of $15,000.  The writer remembers that there used to be a great rush to Frank Kendallís store.


     In 1839 Williams & Ackley were merchants in Lancaster.  After one yearís experience they sold to Henry Dittoe, of Somerset, who soon tired of his bargain and returned to his old home, sometime in the year 1840.


     Thomas Bates was a dry goods merchant in Lancaster in 1834 and in 1835.

[Pg. 278]


     Wesley J. Alkire was a dry goods merchant in Lancaster in the year 1837. For a time the firm was Alkire & Parker.  Their business was unsuccessful and was closed out in 1841.


     L. Hopkins sold dry goods in Lancaster in 1836, and, according to the old file of newspapers, was in business in 1839.


     Philip Rising is a native of Germany.  He came with his parents to America when a small boy.  From 1839 to 1843 he was a grocerís clerk. He then moved to Logan, where he was a clerk for two years. Returning to Lancaster, he was employed as clerk by Wise & Hilliard for a few months.  He then entered the store of Reber & Kutz and was soon their bookkeeper and confidential man.  In 1853 he became a partner of John Lyons in the dry goods business, but in 1856 sold his stock to Reber & Kutz, and became their partner under the name of Kutz, Reber & Co.
     In 1861 he sold his interest to his partners and opened a large clothing store upon his own account, laying here the foundation of his fortune.
     He purchased the Beecher corner, and erected upon it a fine business block. In one of the rooms he, with Peter Miller and Rudolph Seipel, under name of Rising, Miller & Seipel, continued to conduct a profitable clothing business.  In 1879 Rising and Seipel retired, and the business was continued by Peter Miller, Gerhard Miller and Rudolph Rising under the name of Peter Miller & Co., continuing in business five years.

[Pg. 279]
In the year 1868 P. Rising had, in connection with Abraham Beery and Wm. Brown, established a dry goods store in the west room of his Masonic Block, under the name of Beery, Brown & Co.  This firm continued in business until 1874, when Rising purchased the interest of his partners.  In 1877 he sold to A. Stutson, who conducted a profitable business for several years. 
     Mr. Rising
throughout his life has been an industrious and successful business man.  In 1892 he built the Fairfield County Bank building, of which bank he is president.  He owns and occupies the handsome residence built by Wm. J. Reese in 1834.


     Mr. Lobenthal was a merchant of Lancaster from 1840 to 1849, and for many years a retired citizen of means, esteemed for his social and business qualities, and well known integrity.  The story of his life is best told by himself, written upon the fly leaf of his German Bible.  L. Lobenthal was born October 24, 1797, in Schwaback near Nuremburg in the kingdom of Bavaria.  Left the home of his nativity in the year 1811 for Frankfort-on-the-Main, at which place, though very young, was serving in a dry goods store up to 1814, Left the latter city for Manheim, where he also served in a dry goods store until 1829.  Languishing for the land of liberty he emigrated from Rotterdam, September, 1829, in the brig Mexico, for Portland, state of Maine, at which place he arrived in November the same year.  To make his mother tongue available, he left the latter place and went to Philadelphia and commenced peddling dry goods through that state and continued the same until January, 1853.  Having cultivated many friends and desirous to rest his head on

[Pg. 280]
his own pillow, he opened a store in Hellerstown, Pa., in April, 1833, and remained successful in business until the spring of 1840, when he, his wife, and one child (Leo) in company with Mr. Joseph Reinmund and his family emigrated to Lancaster, Ohio.
                                             L. Lobenthal

     Lancaster, July 6, 1848. 
     These two families came to Lancaster by canal boat, where Lobenthal and Reinmund opened a store and the partnership continued two years. Reinmund retired and Lobenthal continued the business alone until 1849.  For a few years he ran a flouring mill on Rush Creek, which he sold in 1852 and permanently retired from business.  He was a director of the Lancaster Savings Institute.  During his retired life he was accustomed to receive his friends on New Yearís Day, and it was always an enjoyable occasion.  He died while on a visit to his farm near Galion, Ohio, at the home of his son LeoMr. Lobenthal crossed the ocean in the same ship with Charles Reemelin and Frederick Rammelsburg, late of Cincinnati, Ohio.  The friend- ship formed on that voyage continued through life.  One of its results was the location of the Ohio Reform School at Lancaster.  Mr. Lobenthals influence brought Mr. Reemelin to Lancaster.  The three gentlemen were poor German boys when they landed in America; but, by dint of industry, frugality, and integrity, they became wealthy and influential citizens of their adopted country.  Henry J. Reinmund, of Lancaster, married a daughter of Rammelsburg, and Miss Wheat, the daughter of a Lancaster woman, became the wife of one of his sons.  James W. Slocum, of Lancaster married a daughter of Charles Reemelin.

[Pg. 281]


     Joseph Reinmund came to Lancaster in 1840 in company with Lippen Lobenthal.  They immediately opened a dry goods store.  This partnership continued about two years.  Reinmund retired from the firm, and opened a store in connection with his son and son-in-law, Jacob F. Beck, under the name of Reinmund, Son, & Beck.  In 1851 Beck sold his interest to his partners and opened a store on his own account. January, 1852, Joseph Reinmund sold his interest to John D. Martin.  In the year 1854 B. F. Reinmund sold his interest in the store to Emanuel and Daniel Giesy, and entered the bank of Martin & Co. as cashier. In two yearsí time the Giesy Brothers sold to Richard Hooker, and Martin & Hooker in time sold to Lyons & Son.
     Upon the death of Jacob F. Beck, Joseph Reinmund then in his old age took his place behind the counter and conducted the business for his daughter Eliza Beck, and assisted her in rearing a family of boys.  He was thus engaged for several years until the boys whom he had instructed were able to take charge of the business.  He made no charge for his services.  Mr. Reinmund was a good business man and had the confidence of the people of Lancaster.  He lived to a green old age.  His daughter conducted the business at the old stand until the year 1897.  Jacob F. Beck, January 18, 1840, purchased the interest of William Anspach, and with his brother-in-law, Matthew Myers, conducted the store for a term of three years, or until September, 1843, when he became a partner of Joseph Reinmund as above stated.
     Wm. Anspach left Lancaster in 1840 for Philadel-

[Pg. 282]
phia, where he soon established himself in business.  In time he became a member of a large wholesale establishment and accumulated a fortune estimated at more than one million dollars.  His daughter married a Stanton, a nephew of Edwin M. Stanton, Secretary of War under Abraham Lincoln.


     B. F. Reinmund was born April 29, 1820, in Northumberland County, Pa.  He came with his father to Lancaster in 1840.  He was a clerk for Lobenthal & Reinmund and a member of the firm of Reinmund, Son & Beck, Beck being his brother-in-law. He was a good business man and honorable in his dealings.  When Martin & Company established their bank, he became the cashier and served in that capacity for several years.  He was a painstaking, careful business man and had the confidence of business men and the general public.  Retiring from the bank, he engaged in the insurance business, which he followed successfully for the remainder of his life.  He was the husband of the youngest daughter of Henry Arnold and in this way connected with many of the leading families of Lancaster, Mansfield and Bucyrus.
     He died a comparatively young man.  For more than twenty years he was a leading member of the English Lutheran Church.  His son, Henry J. Reinmund, was Insurance Commissioner under Governor Hoadley.  He is now a prominent insurance man of New York.  His son, Bowman F. Reinmund, is engaged in the insurance business at Galesburg, Illinois.

[Pg. 283]


     Wm. Latta was the son of John Latta, the old merchant.  He was a favored child, had the advantages of the Lancaster schools, and was a graduate of Athens University in 1843.  His father left him a handsome fortune, and in due time he was married to Miss Elizabeth Smith, daughter of James Smith the merchant, and step-daughter of Major Grubb.  
. Latta engaged in business with Thos. H. White and John Effinger under the name of Effinger, White & Latta, and for several years they did a good business, but finally closed out at a loss.  
. Latta was well known upon the streets of Lancaster for twenty-five or thirty years, and was a genial pleasant gentleman.  His family occupied a highly respectable position in the society of Lancaster.  In the year 1859 Mr. Latta was engaged in the milling business, and it was during this year that the boilers of his mill blew up. 
     For a few years he was established in a nice country home just west of town, which the good taste of his wife adorned and beautified.


     Henry Springer in 1849 was conducting a clothing store. In 1850 the firm name became Springer & Trout, H. G. Trout having purchased an interest.  This business continued for nine years, when Springer withdrew.  In 1861 Springer repurchased the stock and conducted the business alone. 
     Late in 1861 he was appointed sutler to the Seventeenth Ohio Regiment and followed the fortunes of his regiment during the war.  Retiring from the army.

[Pg. 284]
he moved with his family to Iowa and engaged in raising stock.  He did not remain in Iowa long, but returned to Lancaster.
     For years he was a traveling salesman and ceased only when he became a hopeless paralytic.  At this writing he occupies the bed of an invalid and with Christian fortitude endures his affliction.  Springer is an honest man and a genial, pleasant gentleman. 
Springer was born August 23, 1822.  Mr. Springer was an orphan and was brought up in the family of Judge Graybill, and went with the Judgeís son-in-law.  Reeves, to Columbus.  Springer was present in the Presbyterian Church, when the great panic occurred on a public Masonic occasion, probably as early as 1841.  He got out, but could never tell how, rode home and told Judge Graybill that the church had fallen down and that many people were killed. 
     It was fortunate that this panic was not more serious.  Many people jumped from the high second story windows to the ground, but no one was very seriously injured. 
     Since writing this sketch Henry Springer departed this life, December 4, 1897.


     Mr. Trout was born in Milton, Penn., November 15, 1829. There he mastered the tailoring trade.  He came to Lancaster July 24, 1847, and went to work for Henry Springer, continuing to work for him until the year 1850, when they became partners.  This partnership continued until 1860, when he accepted the position of chief cutter for Philip Rising.  Here he continued until 1867, when he became a partner with Orrin E. Peters and John Reber in the clothing and

[Pg. 285]
merchant tailoring business under the name of Peters, Trout & Co
     In 1876 John Reber retired from the firm and the business was continued by Peters and Trout, and thenceforth known as the ďTemple of Fashion.Ē  They occupied first the Marcuson room, then a room in Maccracken block, and later a room in the J. C. Weaver block.  They kept salesmen on the road taking measures, and selling suits by sample, and their business grew to immense size, the sales amounting to 185,000 per annum (employing seventy hands). 
     They built what is known as the ďTemple of Fashion,Ē corner of public square and Broad Street, which they occupied in the spring of 1882.  This is one of the largest and most imposing buildings in the city.
     Peters removed to Cincinnati in 1886, but did not sell his interests here. 
     In 1894 Trout purchased the interest of Peters in the real estate and became the sole owner, and in January, 1896, his interest in the stock, becoming sole owner.  This firm was widely and favorably known.
     H. G. Trout
was married to Ruth Card, September, 1849. For fifty years H. G. Trout has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Lancaster, and connected during that time with the Sunday-school, either as teacher or superintendent. 
     John M. Creed
was the superintendent in 1847 and first appointed Mr. Trout as teacher. 
. Trout was for six years a prominent member of the Lancaster school board.  He has been a trustee of the Lancaster camp meeting from the beginning, twenty-four years.  He has been an official of the Methodist Church continuously for forty-five years.   
from 1865 to 1867 was a partner of Peter and

[Pg. 286]
Gerhard Miller. He now resides in Cincinnati and is the treasurer of the King Powder Company and of the Peters Cartridge Company.


     Dr. Edson B. Olds, an old practitioner and druggist of Circleville and a member of congress for six years, making quite a reputation as such, came to Lancaster in 1858 and purchased the stocks of E. Julian and P. Bope.  He did a thriving business for several years as a dry goods merchant. 
     He took an active part in politics, opposed the war of 1861, made violent and incendiary speeches and was arrested by Secretary of War, Stanton.  He was for several months confined in Fort Lafayette.  He was an able, shrewd politician. 
     About the close of the war he died suddenly at his home in Lancaster.  
     His son, Joseph Olds, is one of the prominent members of the Columbus bar and recognized as an able lawyer.


      Peter Miller and his brother Gerhard were members of one of the leading clothing firms of Lancaster for thirty years.  They were born in the Rhein Province, Prussia; Peter, in June, 1831, and Gerhard, in January, 1838.  Both were tailors by trade, having acquired the same in the old country.  Peter worked at his trade in some of the principal cities of Germany for two years, and then sailed for America and landed in New York, November, 1853.  He came to Lancaster in January, 1854, and engaged to work with Theodore Tong, then one of the leading merchant tailors of the city, as a coat maker.  Gerhard arrived in Lancaster

[Pg. 287]
in 1856 and was also employed by Mr. TongPeter, on account of failing health, gave up his job and engaged as a clerk in Martin & Hookerís dry goods store, afterwards known as John Lyonís & Son. 
     During the war he clerked for Reber, Kutz & Ulrick.  In 1865 Orren Peters, Peter and Gerhard Miller formed' a partnership under the name of Peters, Miller & Bro., merchant tailoring and clothing.  In the year 1867 Orren Peters withdrew from the firm and Philip Rising took his place, and the name of the firm was Rising, Miller & Seiple (Rudloph).  In the year 1881 Rudolph Seiple and Rising retired with $14,000 cash each.  The firm name was then changed to Peter Miller & Co. and included Peter and Gerhard Miller and Rudolph Rising.  For years this firm gave employment to seventy-five hands the year round.  Traveling men were kept on the road taking measures and selling suits by sample.  Their trade extended over a large territory and their business assumed large proportions, their firm name being known far and wide. 
     In the year 1887 Gerhard Miller withdrew from the firm with $20,000 cash.  He then established a store of his own in his own building on Main Street, where he and his sons continued to do a prosperous business until his sudden death in 1890.  Gerhard left his family a handsome estate. 
     From 1887 Peter Miller and Rudolph Rising continued the business until March, 1893, when Rudolph Rising retired.  Peter Miller then continued the business on his own account and soon thereafter moved to the new Columbian block. 
     The Miller brothers were honorable business men- and have always been highly esteemed in Lancaster.  They came from Germany to Lancaster with nothing

[Pg. 288]
but their industrious habits and a needle, and their career in business has been one much above the average.


     John Lyons was a cabinetmaker and learned the business with James A. Starling of Tarlton, Ohio.  In the year 1824 he came to Lancaster, where he followed his trade for a few years, abandoning it for the grocery business. 
     In 1853 he was a partner of P. Rising in the dry goods business though still continuing his grocery. 
Lyons was a prominent grocery man for many years, first on Shaeflerís corner, where H. G. Troutís building now stands, and later on Main Street.  He died insolvent long since and his family soon followed him to the great Beyond.


     John L. Tuthill was born in Otsego County, N. Y., in 1808.  In 1827 he went to New York City, where in two years he acquired the trade of a bookbinder.  He came to Lancaster in 1827 and in company with Mr. Ackley opened a bindery and blank book factory, adding to the stock an assortment of books.  In 1841 they sold to Hopkins & Symonds.
     Tuthill worked at bookbinding until 1847, when he was appointed clerk in the war department in Washington.  In 1849 he again opened a bookstore which he sold to John Searles in 1851.  In 1853 he was appointed postmaster of Lancaster, holding the position eight years.  He was succeeded as postmaster by C. M. L. Wiseman, who held the office thirteen years.  About this time he became editor of the Ohio Eagle.  He formed a partnership with A. Brennaman which

[Pg. 289]
ended in 1865, Brennaman retiring.  Mr. Tuthill took his son in as partner and for a short time W. L. Rigby, but growing old and tired of the worry of business, he turned it over to his son, John C., who managed it for several years. 
. Tuthill was a man of ability and of high character.  He was a good political writer and an able politician.  For years he was an influential member of the school board.


     Mr. White was a native of Philadelphia and came to Lancaster as an attorney-at-law in 1827.  On the death of John Herman, proprietor of the Ohio Eagle, which occurred in 1833, he purchased that paper.  About the year 1834 he sold out to John and Charles Brough.  Upon the death of Edmund B. Thompson he was appointed county auditor and held the position eighteen months. 
     Upon the death of Henry Drum, postmaster during Andrew Jacksonís second term, he was appointed postmaster of Lancaster. 
     With his sons he was for several years engaged in the dry goods business.  Finally retiring, his son, Thomas, Jr., succeeded to the business.  The son closed out in a year or two and went to Boston, Mass.
     Thos. U.
White retired to a farm in Hamilton County, O., where he died.


     Mr. Gates arrived in Lancaster May 5, 1826, and opened a jewelry store.  September 8, 1829, he was married to Henrietta Noble, the daughter of a tailor of that name who lived in a house that stood where the front building of Mrs. Effingerís property now

[Pg. 290]
stands.  Miss Mary Scofield and John G. Willock were the attendants.
     In 1846 he admitted to partnership a Mr. Gosper, the partnership continuing until 1852.  In 1857 Robert Gates became interested in his fatherís business.  In his declining years James Gates sold his stock to George H. Smith, Jr.  Mr. Gates was a lover of music and a fine musician.   In 1843 he was in charge of the music at the celebration of the Hockhocking Canal at Athens, Ohio.  He was at one time a teacher of the Lancaster Band.  He was a leading member of the Harmonic Society of Lancaster.  Mr. Gates had a long and honorable career in Lancaster.


     Mr. Fielding was born in Alexandria, Va., in 1803.  He was a hatter by trade and before coming to Lancaster he worked in the chief eastern cities.  He came to Lancaster in the year 1833, where he carried on a hat shop and a hat store, doing a good business.  During his residence in Lancaster he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He reared and educated a large family of children. He died in the year 1868.


     The Mithoffs came to the United States in 1839 from Hanover, Germany.  For twelve years they were merchants in Pennsylvania.  In 1841 they became residents in Lockville, Fairfield County.  Here they conducted their mercantile business and in 1843 added to it the whiskey distillery.  When the war came on and the whiskey tax was levied, they had on hands several hundred gallons which was exempt from tax.

[Pg. 291]
The sale of this whiskey laid the foundation of a large fortune.  Tiring of Lockville and their business, they sold out and moved to Lancaster, where they soon established themselves and were recognized as leading citizens and enterprising business men.  G. A. Mithoff purchased the large farm of Darius Tallmadge west of town, established his family there, made extensive improvements, and it was his home the balance of his life.
     He purchased an interest in J. C. Weaverís hard- ware store and with his son Hector took the management of the business.  He also purchased stock of the Hocking Valley Bank and, upon the retirement of Darius Tallmadge, became president and so continued until his death.  His wife was a daughter of Captain Augustus F. Witte.  Mr. Mithoff was a quiet, modest, unassuming gentleman, a favorite in a large circle of friends and highly esteemed by all who knew him.  Theodore Mithoff purchased the town residence of D. Tallmadge on Columbus Street in which his family still reside.  He purchased the Swan corner and made many improvements, adding a story and making of it a first-class hotel building.  In connection with his brother-in-law, E. Becker, he established the E. Becker Brewing Company and operated a first-class brewery.  He purchased the old starch factory and converted it into a first-class manufacturing establishment, making agricultural implements.  He gave his full time to this enterprise for many years and made of it a success.  He purchased a controlling interest in the stock of the Hocking Valley Bank, and upon the death of his brother, G. A. Mithoff, he was elected president.  He held this office with the exception of one year, 1883, until his death

[Pg. 292]
     Mr. Mithoff was a warm-hearted, generous man, full of life and pluck, with an energy and industry that never flagged.  His death was a great loss to Lancaster.  His business ability and his capital were devoted to the interests of his adopted city.


     Mr. Becker was born in Hanover, Germany, October 8, 1822.  He received a liberal German education and, when but fifteen years of age, entered a mercantile establishment, where he remained nine years. In November, 1846, he came with his parents to America.  His father died in New York and the mother and children came on to Fairfield County, Ohio, where they permanently settled.  For one year he was a merchantís clerk in Lockville, and in 1846 became a clerk for F. J. Boving, then in the grocery business in Lancaster.
     In the year 1850, Mr. Boving, tiring of the business, sold out to Mr. Becker, then an energetic and industrious young man.  In 1856 Becker sold out and moved to Sheboygan, Wisconsin, where he remained three years.
     In 1859 he returned to Lockville and purchased an interest in the business of Mithoff Brothers, then prosperous merchants and distillers.  Here he continued until 1866.  Soon thereafter he moved to Lancaster and in 1868 engaged in the brewing business under the name of Becker, Ochs & Co. This business prospered and in May, 1881, it was incorporated as the E. Becker Brewing Company, with a capacity of 15,000 barrels per day.
     Mr. Becker was a quiet, pleasant gentleman, a mod-

[Pg. 293]
est but thorough business man and highly esteemed wherever known.  He died July 14, 1892, respected in life, honored in death.


     Mr. Binninger was born in Lancaster, O., May 1, 1843. He served an apprenticeship to the jewelry and clock business with his father, and in 1858 went to Ft. Wayne, Ind., and received instruction in a first- class jewelry establishment. He returned to Lancaster in 1863 and, with his father, opened a small store, where he continued for three years. For a year or two he did business on the Scofield corner and later in the Rising block, where he remained a number of years.
     He purchased the building on Main Street adjoining the McSweeny block and opened up a first-class store. Here he continued in business up to the time of his death July 7, 1893.
. Binninger was an industrious man, always attentive to business, prompt and obliging. The result was that he was successful and accumulated a handsome estate.
     He was a partner in the new Columbian block, the handsomest business house in the city.
     He was a partner and a director in the Farmers and Citizensí Bank.
     He was one of the bright business men of Lancaster.
     He was a member of the company first organized to prospect for gas in this field, with what success is well known.
. Binninger was a useful man and highly esteemed in a large circle.

[Pg. 294]


     Butch is a native of Pennsylvania.  He came to Lancaster in 1855 and opened a jewelry store.  He had a varied experience; first he was burned out, next he was robbed of nearly his entire stock.  He served in the Union Army eighteen months, but was discharged on account of poor health.  In 1863 he commenced business again, at what time cannot be stated.  He soon sold out and went to Nevada.  In a few years he returned to Lancaster and soon thereafter moved to Circleville.

     GEO. H. SMITH, JR.

     In 1863 Mr. Smith purchased the stock of James Gates and has been continually in the jewelry business since that date.  He is an industrious, attentive and obliging man.  He married a daughter of Dr. E. B. Olds.


     Wolfgang Binninger was a native of Germany.  He came to Lancaster and opened a jewelry store in 1837 and followed the business in a modest, quiet way until 1863, when he was succeeded by his sons, P. W. and John D. Binninger.  John does the repair work in the Binninger store, a position he has acceptably and faithfully filled for twenty-five years.  He is a quiet, respectable and worthy citizen.  He married a daughter of Captain F. A. Steck. 

H. C. HIRE H. C.

     Hire came to Lancaster in May, 1865, and opened a store devoted exclusively to millinery and fancy goods.  He was the first merchant in Lancaster

[Pg. 295]
to open a store of this character.  He remained but a few years.  When the writer saw him last he was located in Cleveland as a magnetic physician and doing a profitable business.


     Mr. Mayer was born in Germany.  In the. year 1854 he settled in Lancaster and for four years was connected with Justus Younghans in the brewing business.  His next venture was a grocery store, and for a long time he was located on the corner in the old Swan Hotel.  He lost his life by falling from the rocks at the gorge below the rock mill at the upper falls of the Hocking River.


     These men both served in the army as good soldiers.  They opened a grocery on Main Street in the year 1865, but continued in business but a few years.  One of them married a daughter of Dr. Paul Carpenter.


     John Wood came from Maysville, Ky., and opened a dry goods store in 1829.  His partner in business for a short time was Dr. Nelson, father of the late General Nelson, who was killed in Louisville by General Jeff C. Davis, both of the Union Army.  Dr. Nelson did not like Lancaster and returned to Kentucky.  In 1833 John Wood sold to his son, Daniel, who in a few months died of consumption.  In 1833 his stock of goods was sold to Rudisill & Co.  Mrs. Phoebe Daugherty, wife of the late M. A. Daugherty, a good lawyer and an honored citizen of Lancaster, was John Woodís daughter.  Mrs. Daugherty during her residence in Lancaster was a society leader and a





CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights