Pioneer Period and Pioneer People of
Fairfield Co., Ohio.
by C. M. L. Wiseman
Publ. F. J.
Heer Printing Co., Columbus, O. 1901
of Several Families Prominent in the Early
History of Fairfield County.
pg. 176 -
CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >
The LARIMER FAMILY were citizens of Rushcreek
township as early as 1802. Robert Larimer
was the first resident to die and Phoebe Larimer
the first to marry. Her husband was William
Martin, the son of a pioneer. Ebenezer
Larimer was a prominent man among the first
settlers; Isaac, Sr., James, Joseph and John
Larimer were other members of the family.
Isaac and James were in Capt. Sanderson's
company in 1812, and with their comrades were
surrendered by by General Hull at Detroit.
Joseph and John were in the second company
raised by Capt. Sanderson.
Wright Larimer and Isaac Larimer were
well known, popular, useful and honorable men of a late
period. Fifty years ago they were the prominent
Democrats of the township and received favors at the
hands of their party. Isaac Larimer was a
member of the Ohio General Assembly in the years 1848
and 1849, representing Fairfield, Hocking and Perry
Counties. The Whig and Democratic parties were so
nearly a tie that two Freesoilers held the balance of
power and dictated legislation. They knew their
power and ruled with an iron hand. They proposed
to the Whigs to repeal the Black Laws and elect
Salmon P. Chase United States Senator and that they
should have the Supreme Judge. The Whigs declined
the offer. It was made to the Democrats and
accepted. Daniel Keller, Isaac Larimer and
H. C. Whitman, Senator, voted with the
All that the Democrat got out of this combination was a
Judge of the Supreme Court and the satisfaction of
defeating the Whigs and Thomas Ewing for Senator.
They builded better than they thought; they drove the
entering wedge that finally disrupted parties. The
election of Chase gave new life and strength to
the Freesoil sentiment throughout the north, and it soon
became apparent that the watchword of parties would be
slavery or anti-slavery. The Whig party went down
before it and he result was the formation of the
Republican party. Chase led in this
preliminary skirmish, and from that day to the present,
fifty years, Ohio statesman have been influential
leaders in public affairs.
The vote of Keller,
Larimer and Whitman was denounced in
unmeasured terms by the Democrats of this county, both
in public and in private; indignation meetings were held
in some townships.
Larimer became disgusted with the treatment he
received and ever after followed the fortunes of
Senator Chase. He became a leading and active
Republican and voted for Chase for Governor of
Ohio, and for General Fremont and Abraham
Lincoln for President.
Chase had him appointed a mail agent from
Zanesville to Morrow in 1861, but the work proved too
hard for him and his eyes gave out. He resigned
and returned to his farm. In a year or two he sold
out and moved to Darke County, Ohio, where he died a few
years since. He left two daughters in this county
who are highly esteemed - one, Rebecca, is the
wife of William Rowles, the other, Elizabeth,
is the wife of
Pg. 354 -
a relative of William, John S. Rowles.
William Rowles is the present owner of the old
homestead of John M. Ashbrook, a beautiful farm
of good land. Mr. and Mrs. Rowles have
about reached three score and ten years. They are
the happy parents of ten children.
CHENEY was one of the brainy and enterprising
pioneers of Fairfield County. He was always a
leader in his township and for his opportunities one of
the foremost men of Fairfield County. He was
blessed with good common sense, good habits, good morals
and was in all respects an exemplary citizen. He
was born in Washington County, Maryland, January 12,
1790. When four years of age his father moved to
Bedford County, Pa. There he died when his son
John was fourteen years of age. Soon after his
father's death, his only brother died, leaving the
mother and three sisters in very poor circumstances.
His father owned a good farm but lost it by endorsing
for friends. From the age of fourteen to twenty he
supported his mother and sisters. In the fall of
1810 he bade adieu to his family and made his way to the
West, and landed in Fairfield County, near the site of
Waterloo. He did not remain, but went over to
Pickaway County, where he remained two years and then
returned to his Pennsylvania home. In the year
1815 he returned to this county and settled in Bloom
township. In the fall of 1816 he married Mary
Ann Lafere and went to housekeeping in a log cabin
fourteen feet square. He said that he was poor,
but did not doubt the future, as he intended to live a
correct life. He made rails for fifty cents per
hundred and cut cord wood for twenty-five cents per
Pg. 355 -
Notwithstanding his poverty, having learned of the
serious illness of his mother, he went to Bedford, Pa.,
and remained with her to the end and buried her by the
side of his father. "Honor they father and mother
that thy days may be long in the land which the Lord thy
days may be long in the land which the Lord thy God
giveth thee." He returned to his home and began
anew the struggle of life in the new country with
undaunted courage. The country rapidly improved
and every year saw a change for the better. He met
with many discouragements and sometimes longed for the
old home, but poverty kept him in Ohio. He was too
poor to move.
A few of his early neighbors were Henry Dove, Chaney
Ricketts, Abraham Pickering, Jacob Pickering, Mordecai
Fishbaugh, Isaac Meason, the Courtrights, all
were living near him, previous to the year 1812.
He was soon able to purchase a mill, saw-mill and a
distillery and the business brought him in contact with
people over a wide extent of country. This
property was on Spring Run, about one and one-half miles
west of Carroll.
He was elected a justice of the peace for 1821, 1824
and 1827, serving nine years.
He was trustee of Bloom township for a period of
twenty-three years. He was also a major, colonel
and paymaster in the old style Ohio Militia.
In the years 1828, 1829 and 1830 he was elected to the
lower house of the Ohio Legislature where he served the
public with distinction and honor. In 1831 the
legislature elected him as associate judge of Fairfield
Common Pleas Court.
In 1832 he was nominated as candidate for Congress.
Judge Irvin was his competitor. The
preliminary work was done at the general muster, three
Pg. 356 -
of the militia voting for him. This ended
the contest, Irvin retired and Chaney was
elected in October. The district was Fairfield,
Perry, Hocking and Morgan. He was re-elected in
1834, and again in1836. Having served three terms
in Congress he returned to his farm and the stern duties
of life. In 1842 he was again elected a member of
the legislature and in 1844 he was elected State senator
from the Fairfield district. In the year 1855 he
was again returned to the lower house of the legislature
and served one term. In 1832 he was a presidential
elector and voted for Andrew Jackson.
In 1851 he was elected a member of the
Constitutional Convention that formed our present
constitution. His associate was Col. Wm. Medill.
His public career closed as a legislator in 1855.
A wonderful career, when we consider his situation and
prospects in 1816. He lived a correct live,
improved his opportunities and made friends and success
followed - and the fortune that looked so dark and
gloomy became bright and brilliant. There is no
instance in this county of so many distinguished honors
being conferred upon a plain, unassuming farmer.
It is said of John Chaney that he never
solicited office, they came unsought.
When ninety years of age, he, with the writer, made his
last call upon some old friends. He said to
John T. Brasee that he had all his life been opposed
to slavery. That he learned to hate the
institution from what his mother told him of it.
It was an interesting interview to witness, but sad to
see the old men part, never to meet again.
Brasee soon bid adieu to earth and Chaney
died in two or three years at Canal Winchester.
Both began life as penniless orphans, both
Pg. 357 -
distinction and honor and both accumulated wealth.
Both were honest, fearless, just men.
Judge Chaney reared three sons who have been
quite prominent men in this and Franklin County.
James was all his life a farmer of Bloom
township. Dr. Chaney, of Canal Winchester,
has represented Franklin in the Ohio legislature.
Oliver P., in his young days was a clerk for
Reber & Kutz, in Lancaster. He made the trip
to Europe with his friend. John Reber.
Since that time he has resided in Canal Winchester,
where he dealt in grain and bred fine horses. He
owns the old home farm in Bloom township. He is an
intelligent man and a worthy son of the old Judge.
DENNISON AND SLAUGHTER
Reed and Dennison families were among the
early pioneers of Greenfield Township, Fairfield County,
There were three of the REED BROTHERS, viz.,
James, William and Huston. The land
first owned by the Reeds lies just west of the farm of
James W. Wilson. James, whose children
resided on the farm until quite recently married
Nancy Hood, a girl of the neighborhood, but whose
family is now unknown in the township. James
and William Reed were among the very early
settlers of the township. They built and operated
one of the first salmills on the Hockhocking River at a
very early day.
Huston Reed came out from Pennsylvania with an
only daughter and only child, and made his home with his
brother William. The girl grew to womanhood
and became the wife of John M. Schoch, a German,
who at that time worked at the Barrett Woolen
Mill, near the upper falls of the Hockhocking River.
Pg. 358 -
After marriage he moved to near Canal Winchester, where
he again worked in a woolen mill. He soon
exchanged this business for that of a tavern keeper in
Canal Winchester, and was long well known to Lancaster
people as the landlord of the stage station. His
son, John M. Schoch, still keeps open the
The family of James Reed has been well known in
their township for one hundred years, retaining the old
home farm until within a year or two.
William Reed married a Miss Black in
Pennsylvania before emigrating to Ohio. When war
was declared in 1812, he enlisted in the company of
Captain Sanderson and served until his death, which
occurred in camp at Upper Sandusky, Ohio. He died
of the measles and necessary exposure incident to a camp
and army life.
His wife, finding herself a widow with two children,
determined to return to Pennsylvania. Twenty-five
acres of land was set off as her share of the estate of
the Reeds, and her brother-in-law, James Reed,
assisted her to return to her old home. He secured
the services of Hiram Owens to accompany her, and
the two made the long journey on horseback, each
carrying a stout boy before them - Rufus Reed and
John B. Reed. In future years Rufus
was a prominent merchant of Tiffin, Ohio, and John B.
a prominent mechanic of Lancaster, and a brother-in-law
of H. H. Hunter and George H. Smith, and
father of the late Rufus Reed.
Richard DENNISON was an Englishman, and in his
young days a British soldier, a member of the King's
Guard. He understood the tactics, and often gave
Pg. 359 -
young neighbors lessons. He was a shoemaker by
In what year he came to the United States is not known;
when he did come he settled in Pennsylvania. There
he met, wooed and won the widow of William
Reed. After their marriage they moved to Ohio
and settled on the widow's share of the Reed farm,
now owned by Mr. Markwood. The year of
their coming is not known, but it was prior to 1818, in
which year their son, James was born. A
second son, Nelson studied and practiced law in
Lancaster, but he died while yet a young man. Nelson
married Amanda Manson and moved to Iowa. A
daughter married a Tarlton merchant. This merchant
was a Mr. Julian, late of Circleville. This
couple in their old age moved to Tarlton, where they
died and where they were buried.
James Dennison grew up in Greenfield, and
received such education as the county afforded. At
the proper age he went to Lancaster and was soon
apprenticed to the business of a tanner, with William
V. Thorne and James M. Pratt, who conducted a
large tannery at the foot of Broad street.
Having completed his apprenticeship, he went to
Tiffany, Ohio, and became a partner of his half-brother,
Rufus Reed. After a few years they failed in
business and he returned to Fairfield County. He
soon formed a partnership with a young tanner in
Tarlton, Allen Hamilton, brother of Col.
William Hamilton. Their business was a success
and was continued for some years. William
Lynch worked for them in 1852, and Captain Roby
in 1855. Both at the time were single men, but not
long so to remain. They courted sisters, Maria
and Ann SLAUGHTER, daughters of Judge
Pg. 360 -
F. Slaughter. The young ladies at
that time lived on the hill just this side of
Clarksburg. The gallants were accustomed to make
the trip from Tarlton on horseback and remain during
their convenience. There were no buggies and
moonlight rides in those days.
Maria and took his bride to Tarlton. Later,
Hamilton married Miss Ann and took her to
Tarlton. Some years later Hamilton moved to
Columbus where he made investments that made his widow a
James Dennison moved to
Kansas City in 1859, when it was a mere river landing.
He followed his business for a year or two, when he
became a leather merchant, which business he followed
successfully, making a small fortune. It is said
that his wife traded a good cow for an acre of land.
That acre is now in the heart of the city.
Dennison lived in Kansas
City during the civil war, and being a northern man of
pronounced principles, he was often in danger of his
life, the same having been often threatened. About
the year 1884 he closed up his business, disposed of
property and moved to Los Angeles, California, just in
time to make investments that made him another fortune.
Dennison and wife lived
a delightful life for fifteen years in the land of
sunshine and flowers. He died Oct. 7, 1899,
leaving his wife and three children. Mr.
Dennison had a long, varied and useful career.
He was a prominent and honored citizen in Lancaster,
Tiffin, Tarlton, Kansas City and Los Angeles. He
was an intelligent, honorable, courteous gentleman,
highly esteemed and respected where he died. He
was one of the many distinguished men, born in Fairfield
County, who made fame and fortune in the west,
Pg. 361 -
to the day of his death remembered, with pleasure and
affection, the fair fields over which he roamed in early
life. His widow was recently killed in Kansas City
by a street accident.
BRANDT FAMILY OF THE EARLY DAYS
A NUMEROUS AND HONORABLE ONE
brief duration of our families, as a hereditary
household, renders it next to a certainty that the
great-grandchildren will not know their father's
grandfather." Thus wrote Nathaniel Hawthorne.
But since his time, in many parts of our country,
especially in Pennsylvania and New England, people are
waking up to the importance of family history.
"In this the closing year of the nineteenth century it
is fitting to write up the events of the past," and
especially the history of the families that settled and
cleared up this country and brought it to its present
state of civilization. Among the early settlers
there were but few families if any, who stood higher
than the Brandts. Three sons and one
daughter of the original stock came to Fairfield County
Ludwig Brandt in 1745 left his home in Germany
and came in a sailing vessel to America. He had a
long, stormy and perilous passage, but the time passed
away pleasantly in the society of a pretty German girl,
Catharine Mueller, who he met on the vessel.
They landed in Philadelphia June, 18745, were married
July 4, and settled at Hummelstown, Dauphin
County, Pennsylvania. To this union came five sons
and four daughters. Adam, the second son,
was the father of Jacob, Adam and David Brandt,
and their sister, Mrs. Jacob Pence.
Ludwig Brandt, a relative of Adam Brandt,
founder of the Fairfield County family, came to this
Pg. 362 -
county as early as 1800. He purchased about 500
acres of land, since known as the Pence and
John Brandt farms. On this land
he paid taxes up to 1806. About that time he
returned to Pennsylvania and sold his land to Adam
Brandt and Isaac Pence, who in time settled
his son-in-law, Jacob Pence and his sons Jacob
and Adam upon it.
Jacob PENCE and wife, in May, 1802, left
Pennsylvania, came through an unbroken wilderness to
this county, and settled upon a part of this land - the
tract now owned by Geo. B. Brasee, for more than
50 years known as the Pence farm. Mrs.
Eve Metzler Brandt, mother of Mrs. Pence,
with the sons, Jacob and Abram, came out
on horseback and made a visit of two weeks in 1805, and
the long journey homeward was made in the same way.
Jacob Brandt married Frances Baughman, of
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, Sept. 8, 1808, and
departed the next day in a two-horse wagon for Ohio,
making the trip in two weeks, about as soon as it could
be made now. They settled near Mrs. Barbara
Pence's, now the Reefe farm. Adam
Brandt was married to Rachel Dunlap in
Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, April 14, 1812, and on
the day of his marriage started in a two-horse wagon for
the west. They did not make the quick trip
recorded of Jacob. Their trip was a tedious
one. They took a farm near their brother Jacob,
where they spent their lives, the farm now owned by
H. M. Brandt. David Brandt, the oldest of the
brothers, came to Greenfield in 1814, and settled upon
80 acres of land, on what is now the Baltimore road, the
Brooks farm, six miles north of Lancaster.
Besides being farmers. Adam was a shoemaker
and David a saddler and school teacher. He
Pg. 363 -
in the winter season from 1815 to 1838, in
both the German and English languages. He took an
interest in politics, and served as a Justice of the
Peace for several years.
The son Isaac inherited many of the good
qualities of this old scholar and has been recognized in
Iowa as a good politician and distinguished citizen for
many years. HE was a member of the Iowa
Legislature, Deputy State Auditor and Postmaster of Des
Moines under Harrison. He has kindly sent in for this
sketch an old Whig song of 1840, from which we make an
"THE HERO OF TIPPECANOE"
"Ye jolly young Whigs of the nation,
And all ye sick Democrats, too,
Come out from amongst the foul party,
And vote for old Tippecanoe."
And vote for old Tippecanoe,
And votes for old Tippecanoe,
Come out from amongst the foul party,
And vote for old Tippecanoe."
He sends also a brass medal or badge, with likeness of
General Harrison, which was worn by himself in
"When parties were formed David Brandt became a
Whig and was a close friend of Thomas Ewing, Sr.,
Henry Stanbery, John M. Creed and Col. Van Trump,
all of Lancaster.
In the presidential election in 1828, Fairfield County
was almost unanimous for General Andrew Jackson.
In Greenfield township, in which David Brandt
lived and voted, there were but two votes cast for
Pg. 364 -
Adams, and they were cast by David Brandt
and Jacob Graybill. When the votes were
counted out the Jackson men said that the two
Adams men must accompany them to Lancaster - they
wanted to exhibit them as curiosities. They went
and had a grand good time. General Sanderson
and Thomas Ewing said they were jewels found in
In 1836 the political campaign assumed a wider range.
Parties had been organized. The Democratic party
nominated Martin Van Buren as their candidate for
president, and the Whig party nominated General
William Henry Harrison. Fairfield County cast
2,906 votes for Van Buren and 1,846 votes for General
Harrison. Greenfield township nearly
divided her vote between the two candidates. In
1840, the memorable political campaign in the history of
our country, the Democratic party placed Martin Van
Buren in nomination for the second term, and the
Whig party nominated General William Henry Harrison
for the second time and dubbed him the hero of
Tippecanoe. In June, 1840, General Harrison
visited Lancaster. There was a wonderful gathering
of the people. It seemed as if the hills and
valleys, and the highways and byways were alive with
people, with coons and coonskins, buckeyes and log
cabins. It was the largest gathering ever held in
Lancaster up to that date. It was soon followed by
a monster gathering of the Democrats, which excelled
that held by the Whigs. The speakers were
Governor Wilson Shannon and William Medill.
In September there was a joint discussion on the
political issues of the campaign between Richard M.
Johnson, the Democratic candidate for Vice
President, William Allen, on the Democratic side,
and Thomas Corwin and Samuel F. Vinton in
behalf of the Whigs.
Pg. 365 -
The meeting was held in the
woods near the foot of Mt. Pleasant. This meeting
eclipsed all other gatherings held in the county, and
the friends of each party returned to their homes
satisfied that they would win the day. Fairfield
County cast 3,318 votes for Van Buren and
2,463 votes for Harrison. Greenfield
township, in which the Brandts were numerous,
gave a small majority for General Harrison.
The ticket voted at the presidential election in 1840
was only for electors. Ohio was then entitled to
21 electors. Their names were:
WHIG TICKET, 1840
William R. Putnam, Resin Beall, Alexander Mayhew, Henry
Harter, Aurora Spafford, Joshua Collett, Abram Miley, Samuel
F. Vinton, John I. Van Meter, Aquilla Toland, Perley B.
Johnson, John Dukes, Otho Brashear, James Ruguet,
Christopher S. Miller, John Carey, David King, Storm Rosa,
John Beatty, John Augustine, John Jamison.
This ticket in Greenfield
township was voted by David Brandt, Sr., and David
Brandt, second; Adam Brandt, second; Adam
Brandt, third; Jacob Brandt, Sr. and Jacob
Brandt, second; John Brandt, first; John
Brandt, second; George Brandt, Martin Brandt,
Jesse Brandt, and Henry M. Brandt, Jacob Pence, Adam
Pence, Philip Pence, Joseph Pence and Henry Pence.
These, with eight sons-in-law, made 21 straight votes for
Tippecanoe and Tyler, too, from the Brandt
families. Adam Brandt, Sr., voted for Van
David Brandt, Sr., was the father of seven sons and
five daughters. David Brandt, Sr., died Oct.
27, 1851, aged 78 years. On Apr. 1, 1899, his children
were all dead except David Brandt, second, who lives
in Eaton, Delaware county, Indiana, aged 84 years,
Pg. 366 -
and Isaac Brandt, who lives in Des Moines,
Iowa, aged 72 years.
Barbara Brandt Pence was the
mother of seven sons and four daughters. Barbara
Brandt Pence died Apr. 7, 1850, aged 72 years.
All her children were dead on Apr. 1, 1899, except Henry
Pence, who lives in Nodaway County, Missouri, aged 79
Jacob Brandt, Sr., was the father of five sons
and five daughters. Jacob Brandt, Sr., died
Dec. 15, 1849, aged 67 years. All his sons and
daughters were dead on Apr. 1, 1899, except Adam Brandt,
third, who lives near Lancaster, Ohio, aged 88 years;
John Brandt, who lives in Barnes, Kansas, aged 82 years,
and Jesse Brandt, who lives near Carroll, Fairfield
County, Ohio, aged 80 years.
Adam Brandt, Sr., was the father of seven sons
and six daughters. Adam Brandt died Mar. 26,
1844. On Apr. 1, 1899, all his children were dead
except Henry M. Brandt, who lives near Carroll, aged
80 years, and Elizabeth Brandt Martin, aged 72 years,
who lives near Carroll, Ohio.
The families of the Brandts were generally
large. There were two, however, that were very large,
of the second generation. Adam Brandt,
second, the oldest son of David Brandt, Sr.,
married Rebecca Cooper, in Greenfield township, on
Sept. 10, 1821. They raised a family of seventeen
children, nine sons and eight daughters.
Adam Brandt, the third, the oldest son of
Jacob Brandt, Sr., married Elizabeth Rugh, on
Mar. 7, 1833. They raised a family of fifteen
children, six sons and nine daughters.
The second, third and fourth generations are now living
in all parts of this great country, in the east.
Pg. 367 -
west, north and south, some in Cuba and some in the
There are two traits of character that predominate in
the Brandt families—that of Christianity and
patriotism. Ninety-five per cent, of the Brandts
and their descendants are members of Church. Ludwig
Brandt, who came to America in 1745, was a member of the
Dunkard Church, and also his grandsons, who came to
Fairfield County in the first years of the nineteenth
century. The younger generations, however, have not
remained in the faith of their fathers, for now they are
members of a great many different religious denominations.
Several of them are ministers and have taken high rank as
evangelists and ministers of the Gospel.
Their patriotism was developed in the revolutionary
war. Adam Brandt and Martin
Brandt were with General Washington during
America's great struggle for independence. In the war
of 1812 many of the Brandts were under the command of
General Wayne and General Harrison.
In the Mexican war in 1846 the third generation of
Brandts were with General Taylor and Scott,
when they entered the halls of Montezuma.
In the war of the rebellion the name of Brandt
was upon the muster rolls in ten of the northern states.
They marched with Sherman to the sea and were with
General Grant at the surrender of Appomattox.
In the late Spanish-Cuban war the Brandts were
among the first to enlist in the war for humanity's sake.
The blood of the Brandts has stained the battle
fields from 1776 to 1899.
The Brandts as a general rule were farmers,
mechanics, merchants and business men. Some became
Pg. 368 -
quite noted as horticulturists, particularly in the line of
having fine orchards of apples, peaches, pears and cherries.
On the farm that was settled first by Jacob Brandt,
in 1808, is a pear tree that is among the oldest fruit
bearing trees in the state of Ohio. The main stock is
a white thorn. It was grafted with pear in April,
1809, by Jacob Snyder. It has been
bearing now for 85 years. It is 50 feet in height and
covers an area of about 40 feet. It has yielded in one
year as high as 35 bushels of pears.
Adam Brandt, second, had in 1850, one of
the largest and best apple and cherry orchards in the
county. From 1840 to 1860 a large number of the second
generation emigrated, going to Indiana, Illinois, Iowa,
Missouri and Wisconsin. The third and fourth
generations are still more widely scattered, while quite a
number still remain in Fairfield County, and are classed
among our best citizens.
Adam Brandt, son of David
Brandt, and long known by his neighbors as Boss
Brandt, lived and died in Greenfield. He was
born in Pennsylvania, June 24, 1800. His wife,
Rebecca Ann Cooper, was born in Virginia,
Aug. 5, 1802. Her father emancipated his slaves and
was forced to leave Virginia. He brought his family to
Lancaster as early as 1806, and followed the business of
harness maker. The young people were married Sept. 10,
1821. To this union were born 17 children, nine sons
and eight daughters, 14 of whom grew to manhood and
womanhood. Six sons and three sons-in-law were in the
Union army. Captain O. B. Brandt, who enlisted
as a private, was captured and taken to Richmond, and
endured for many months the horrors of Libby prison.
He married Elizabeth Holmes. Henry
C., Jonathan C., Isaac C.,
Pg. 369 -
William H. and Wesley L. were the other
soldiers. The soldier sons-in-law were Samuel
Radebaugh, who died in the service; Samuel Apt,
and S. S. Wiest. Nine good soldiers for one
family is a record unapproachable in this county or any
other. At the close of the war they returned to their
homes and usual occupations, and are among our best and most
respected citizens. Adam Brandt died in
June, 1874, his wife having preceded him to the grave, dying
in 1870. The descendants of the pioneer brothers are
divided into many large families. The two Adams,
one a son of Jacob and the other of Daniel,
being the largest. A daughter Harriet, is the
wife of N. S. Ebright. Of the children of
Adam Brandt and his wife Elizabeth Rugh, daughter
of Solomon Rugh, Jacob R. Brandt is the most
widely known member, a good citizen and a popular man.
He reared and educated a large family of children.
Mr. Brandt, besides being a good farmer, is a splendid
mechanic — a famous bridge builder. He is the
legitimate successor of Jonathan Coulson in that
line. A few years since he was the Republican
candidate for County Commissioner, and came within 265 votes
of an election. Jesse H. Brandt, of Bloom, a
good man, and once a brave soldier, is a brother of a
Rev. John Brandt, of St. Louis, Missouri. He, too,
was a good soldier. Mrs. Madison Kemerer is a
sister, with whom Adam Brandt resides, aged 88 years.
Willliam Brandt, of Basil, is a
son of this Adam. James Brandt, a
justice of the peace in Cincinnati, is a grandson.
The descendants of Adam Brandt, of
Pennsylvania, who purchased 500 acres here in 1800, and sent
out his daughter, Mrs. Jacob Pence,
and his sons, Jacob, Adam
Pg. 370 -
and David, to subdue the forest and till the land,
are more numerous than any family we can recall. They
are not like the sands of the sea, too numerous to be
counted, but it would be a very tedious job.
The family of Adam Brandt, second, "Boss," alone
numbered 17, 11 of whom married and reared familes.
The Brandts were plain, quiet, intelligent, and
industrious farmers, discharging every duty pertaining to
The word of a Brandt was always good, and their
integrity beyond any question. This is a family of
good old Scripture names. Their parents were familiar
with the Bible, and they have certainly fulfilled one
injunction of the Scriptures, "increase, multiply and
replenish the earth."
For this sketch we have quoted largely from a
manuscript of Isaac Brandt, of Iowa, kindly
furnished by him for the purpose.
Spangler was one of the very distinguished men of
Fairfield County. Distinguished for great ability,
integrity and in a rare degree as a Democratic politician
and legislator. From 1825 to 1850 his influence in his
party was second to no man in this county. He was
consulted by all of the party leaders, including Governor
Medill, and in many things his wish was law, and in
all things his opinions were weighty and influential.
Eight or ten years before his death the township in
which he had spent his life. Perry, was cut off from
this county and added to Hocking. This embittered the
closing years of his life and made him unhappy, for Page 371
he loved old Fairfield, the county he so long served and
helped to make famous.
Samuel Spangler was born in Dauphin
County, Pennsylvania, Mar. 30, 1783. His father was a
farmer, and when Ohio was attracting the first settlers he
sold his farm, intending to move west, but before he was
ready to start his money became worthless and he abandoned
the trip and apprenticed his son Samuel to a cabinet
maker in Harrisburg. He was to have received three
months schooling each year during his term of service.
He had a hard master, and received but three months
schooling during the whole term.
When twenty-one years of age he bid adieu to his
parents, and with the family of George Defenbaugh
emigrated to Ohio; after leaving Lancaster they cut a
road through brush and timber to Perry township. This
was in the year 1801. Cabinet makers were undertakers,
and he was soon called upon to bury a woman on Clearcreek.
There were then no saw mills in Fairfield County. He
cut down a dry walnut tree, split it into puncheons, and
with ax and adz dressed them down sufficient to make a rude
In 1807 he married Miss Susan Fogler of the
neighborhood. She was born in Pennsylvania Sept.
25, 1788. Both she and her husband were of German
descent. To them were born one son who died in
infancy, and three daughters. The daughters were:
Barbara, who married Ezra Wolfe;
Minerva, who married Alexander McClelland;
they settled near Adelphi and reared seven sons and one
daughter. Elizabeth married John
Karshnor and they settled near Adelphi, To them were
born five sons and five daughters.
Up to the time of his marriage Colonel
Spangler had a very poor education, but thirsting for
knowledge Page 372 -
he began at the foot and purchased Cobb's speller, a
grammar, geography and an arithmetic. He possessed
fine natural ability and soon became thorough master of
these rudimentary books, and throughout his life he was a
student and reader, and a thoroughly well informed man.
In the first twenty-five years of his life in Ohio he had a
few very intelligent neighbors, the most prominent being
Dr. Ballard, of Tarlton, Joseph
Shumaker and Esquire Foust. Otis
Ballard, now of Toledo, sold goods in Tarlton in an
early day, and speaks in high praise of Colonel
Spangler at that time. He served as a justice of
the peace m Perry township for twenty-one years. In
1826, 1827, 1828, 1829, he was a member of the lower house
of the Ohio Legislature, and again in 1831. In 1832 he
was elected a State Senator and was re-elected each year for
nine years, closing his public career in 1842.
As a legislator he took part, and a prominent part, in
the legislation that secured for us the Ohio Canal and our
common school system. This was the most interesting
period in the history of Ohio, and this legislation so
ardently and ably supported by Spangler was the
turning point in the history of Ohio. When reference
is made to the real beginning of Ohio, we go back to the
canals and the common schools.
At the Democratic State Convention in 1836, and again
in 1838, his friends presented his name as a candidate for
Governor. One authority states that he came within two
votes of securing the nomination.
He was the special friend of our benevolent
institutions and gave them his special care and support.
During his public career he was the friend and intimate of
such Democrats as Governor Medill, John
Brough, Sam Medary and Micajah T.
Page 373 -
of the fathers of the public works. In 1843 Colonel
Spangler retired from public life and gave his attention
to his farm and his family. About this time both he
and his wife became members of the Lutheran Church, and
lived consistent Christian lives. Colonel
Spangler was a Christian in every sense of the word,
both at home and abroad.
For the war of 1812 he raised a rifle company and
served his country in two campaigns as Captain of his
company. During the sickness of his Colonel he was the
acting Colonel of the regiment. His service in the
army was such as to receive special complimentary mention by
his superior officer.
Colonel Spangler was a successful farmer
and business man for his day, and gave each of his children
a farm, and some money was left them at his death, Dec. 13,
1863. His body was buried at the Adelphi cemetery, a
few miles from his home. His wife died July 7, 1871,
and was buried by his side.
Colonel Spangler was six feet, one inch
in height, straight as an Indian, finely proportioned, and a
man of commanding presence. He loved a fine horse and
was a splendid horseman. He was a great hunter, and in
the early days was very successful, killing as many as seven
deer in one day, and shooting plenty of game from the
windows of houses he was finishing. Samuel Spangler
Wolfe has his watch, books and cane. The cane
was cut on the Mt. Vernon estate, Virginia, by Governor
Medill, and presented to Colonel Spangler.
The men of this county, who have come down from the period
in which Colonel Spangler lived, speak of him
in the highest terms.
Page 374 -
Like Dr. Williams
and Dr. Hyde, he educated himself without a teacher,
and while not so great a scholar, he was great in many
things, self made and self reliant. The writer is
indebted to Salem S. Wolfe for valuable information.
Valentine Wolfe, one of the honored pioneers of
Madison township, was born and raised near Frederick,
Maryland . About the year 1814 he, with his family,
emigrated to Ohio, and cast his lot in Madison township,
where he raised his boys and sent them with good habits and
strong constitutions out into the world.
His sons were Ezra, Salem and Isaac.
James Rice, long an honored and esteemed
business man of Lancaster, was a step son. James
Rice was for quite a number of years a partner of
George Ring in the woolen mill business, at the
foot of Broadway, Lancaster. He was also a partner of
Silas Hedges for a short time in the dry goods
business, and in his old age was the clerk of John
Work in the tin and stove business. He was the
father of William P. Rice, who died in California,
and whom John Sherman mentions as one of his
schoolmate at Howe's Academy. He is mentioned
by the Grand Duke of Saxe Weimar, who visited his factory
and complimented his goods in the year 1825. Ezra
Wolfe married Barbara, daughter of Colonel
Samuel Spangler. He settled on a farm, two
miles south of Clearport, where he lived a prosperous,
useful life, and where he reared a large family of children.
His sons were Salem Spangler, Samuel V.,
Dr. M. F. Wolfe, of Parsons, Kansas; Charles F.,
of Ottawa, Kansas, and John L., of Humboldt, Kansas.
Salem S. Wolfe is a very prosperous man, and a highly
esteemed and respected citizen of Adelphi, Ohio. He at
one time represented Hocking County in the General
Page 375 -
Assembly of Ohio, serving two terms. Samuel V.
Wolfe, of Clearport, is one of the very successful
farmers of this county. He is intelligent, a good
citizen, a leading man of his neighborhood and of the
Methodist Church. He lives in good style and dispenses
a generous hospitality. The other brothers are unknown
to the writer, but it is known that they stand well in the
communities in which they live.
The daughters of Ezra Wolfe were Mrs.
Jacob Beck, Mrs. Charles Eversole,
Mrs. Jacob Miller and Mrs. Salem
Salem Wolfe was born near Frederick,
Maryland, in the year 1809. He came to Ohio with his
father in 1814. In the year 1830 he was married to
Jane Young, a daughter of William Young,
one of three brothers who were pioneers of Madison township.
She was a cousin of Mrs. Isaac Strickler. He
early moved to Lancaster, and served an apprenticeship to
the tanning business with Pratt & Thorne. In
1849 he bought the tannery at the foot of Main street, and
conducted it for a few years.
In 1853 he sold his tannery and purchased a fine farm
in Madison township, to which he removed his family.
He continued to live there, farming, serving as justice of
the peace and township clerk, and performing other duties
devolving upon a good citizen, for seven years.
In 1854 he sold his farm and purchased the old home
place of Judge Irvin, just south of Lancaster.
To this farm he brought his family and continued to reside
there until 1869, when he sold out and moved into Lancaster.
Here he spent a quiet old age among old friends, and
departed this life in the year 1875. His body was
buried at Clearport.
Page 376 -
His son Ezra
is a resident of Lancaster. During most of his life he
has been an accomplished teacher of instrumental music.
Band was his specialty.
John N. Wolfe, son of Salem, is a resident of
Lancaster. He is an engineer by profession, devoting
his time principally to surveying. He is the present
very competent city engineer.
The youngest daughter of Salem Wolfe
married H. W. Griswold, now of the Gazette. She died
several years since. Two daughters live in
Indianapolis, Indiana. Jessie and Jennie
Griswold are grand daughters.
Isaac Wolfe, son of Valentine,
came with his father in 1814. He married a sister of
Martin Landis, and lived for many years on a
farm near Clearport, where he also operated a flouring mill.
He moved from Madison to Pleasant township, where he spent a
few years of his old age. He died in Lancaster at the
home of Mrs. Jacob Giesey, his
Isaac Wolfe was a most excellent man, and
was highly esteemed where he lived. A grandson,
Perry Wolfe, lives in Lancaster, devoting most of
his time teaching school.
The Spangler-Wolfe families are connected
with many honored people of Madison — the Youngs,
Shaeffers, Millers, Stricklers, Landis,
Hay and Becks of Hocking.
One of the early associate judges of the Court of Common
Pleas was John Augustus, of Clearcreek
township. He was on the bench as early as 1825 or '26,
and served five years. He was a prominent man in his
day, and highly esteemed. He spent the greater
Pg. 377 -
part of his life in Clearcreek township. His farm was
a little south of the old Shartle tavern, this
side of Tarlton. He was buried in the Augustus
graveyard, which was on or near his farm. His family
consisted of two sons and five daughters.
His son David was a farmer, but for a few years
of his life he lived in Lancaster.
His son John was a merchant for some years in
Tarlton. He failed in business and moved west, where
Col. Wm. Hamilton, surveyor of Amanda township,
married his daughter Rebecca. Col. Hamilton
was a first-class surveyor and a good farmer.
Mrs. S. J. Wolfe (Mary Hamilton) is a granddaughter of
Daniel Ream of Madison township married
Sarah Augustus. Late in life he moved to
Jackson County, Mo., where he died. What relation he
was to the Abraham Ream family we cannot
state. He had a brother named Samuel and
another named John, who in his old age made cigars in
The father of Daniel Ream was Samuel, who
came from Germany. His mother's name was Susan
Wunderlick, daughter of Count Wunderlick.
His mother died, and was buried at Carlisle, Penn.,
Samuel Ream, the father, died at Daniel Ream's
home, and was buried at Mechanicsburg, this county.
Ream had a sister, Polly, who married Moses
Wetzel. Mrs. Mary Summers,
daughter of Daniel, lives in Kansas City, Mo.
Robert Barnet of Madison married
Elizabeth Augustus. She died in a short
time after her marriage.
Rev. Thomas Drake, once well known in Lancaster,
married Hannah Augustus. Drake was a
Pg. 378 -
marshal here during the war. He went from here to
Somerset, O., and engaged in merchandising. So far as
we know he is now dead.
John Earhart, a miller by trade, married
Mary Augustus. Both are now dead.
There are children of Daniel Ream living,
but we do not know of any one bearing the name of Judge
Ream, Hamilton, Drake and
Barnet were men of the highest respectability, and in
all respects good and useful men. So little attention
has been paid in this county to family or pioneer history
that but few people now living ever heard of Judge
Forty-five years ago Col. Hamilton was
the county surveyor of this county. We venture to say
that not five men in fifty are aware of that fact to-day.
Daniel Ream was a splendid man. How many men in
the county remember him? Thomas Drake
cut quite a figure here 38 years ago. He is now
Such is fame!
THE SHARP FAMILY
political history of the family of Joseph Sharp, Sr.,
one of the first settlers of Belmont County, Ohio, is
one of the most remarkable in the history of the state.
Robert H. Sharp, of Sugar Grove, was on Saturday
nominated by the Democrats as their candidate for
representative. Conceding his election in
November, and that he will serve the usual two terms,
his family will have served the state as members of the
house and senate of the general assembly of Ohio in an
unbroken line of succession from the first legislature
to the end of Ohio's first century.
Joseph Sharp, Sr., was one of the prominent men
of Belmont County in its early history. He was a
member of the first Ohio legislature, and in 1804 and
1805 a member of the senate. He was returned to
the house in 1807 and was re-elected for the years 1808,
1810 and 1813. Joseph Sharp, Jr., reared a
family in Belmont County, and about the year 1838
settled in this county on a fine farm just below Sugar
Grove, where his son, William, now resides.
He soon became a contractor on the Hocking Canal and
built for the state what has always been known as
Sharp's dam on the Hockhocking. He was a man
of energy and force of character, and soon became
prominent in his new home. In 1842, just six years
after coming to the county, he was elected a member of
the Ohio legislature. He served but one term and
returned to the management of his farm. He lived
to a good old age, rearing a large family. One of
his daughters is the wife of Daniel Stukey.
His sons, William and George, are farmers;
his son James studied medicine and practiced his
profession for years in Sugar Grove and later in
Lancaster. From here he went to Kansas City Mo.,
where he lived a few years and then returned to Sugar
Grove broken down in health. He was recently
killed by a railroad accident near his home.
Robert L. Sharp, son of Joseph, Jr., was also
a farmer near his father. He was a man of more
than ordinary ability, of good habits and good standing
in his neighborhood. He was a good business man
and wise enough to invest early in Kansas City property,
which became valuable. He was elected a member of
the Ohio legislature in the years 1864 and 1865, and
served with credit to himself and honor to his
constituents. His son, Robert, just
nominated for the same office, will doubtless be
elected. He is a young man of good habits and good
character. He resides upon his father's old farm.
In addition to his farm he manages, with profit, a good
stone quarry. There is everything in the past
history of his family to stimulate him to an honorable
and useful career. A century of honorable living
and precept is behind him, and a future, such as he may
make it, is before him. That he may prove worthy
of the high honor conferred upon him and of the esteem
in which he is held, is the wish of all who know him.