OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Fayette County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

.
BIOGRAPHIES

Source:-
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio

By R. S. Dills -
Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio
1881

A B C D E F G H IJ K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W XYZ  

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1881 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

SAMUEL WADDLE, Judge Daniel McLean's step-father, was a Kentuckian by birth ; removing to Ross County, Ohio, from whence he came to Fayette, in March, 1810, locating on a piece of ground four or five miles south of Washington. During the Indian troubles of 1812, he engaged in the defense of his country, being chosen major. In 1814 he removed to Washington and two years later engaged in the mercantile business, continuing in the same till his death, which occurred in 1828. In 1814 he purchased seven lots in the town of Washington, for which he paid in cash $10,000. After his death the property did not realize $1,000 outside of the dower set aside for his widow. This instance is cited to illustrate the terrible depreciation of property during that period.
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 242
Concord Twp. -
WILLIAM WADDEL, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Ireland, May 10, 1827.  He is the son of Francis W. and Anna Waddel, who were natives of Ireland.  Coming to America in 1840, they located in Chillicothe, Ohio.  They were the parents of three daughters and two sons: Elizabeth married, and lives in Ross County, Ohio.  Margaret ad Ellen were twins; both are dead.  Francis  is married, and owns and lives on a farm joining our subject's.  William married Miss Dorcas Murry, daughter of George Murry, who lived near Kingston, Pickaway County, Ohio, in 1852.  They lived six years in Ross County, when he purchased a portion of what was known as the Trustin Adams farm, in this township, situated on the Snow Hill pike,, about one mile west from Rattlesnake Creek.  In 1858 they removed to this farm, where they still remain.
     Mr. Waddle and wife, by economy and industry, have been able to purchase other lands, so that the farm, or farms, contains eight hundred and fifty acres, in a good state of cultivation.  They are out of debt.  They are the parents of eleven children, five sons and six daughters: Rebecca, the eldest, married John W. Hoppis, with whom she lived some ten years, when she died with consumption, leaving three children.  On the 25th of November, 1880, Mr. Hoppis married for his second wife, Anna, the second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. WaddleGeorge is a promising son, twenty-six years of age, single, and at home with his parents.  He has recently been ordained a minister of the gospel in the Old School Baptist Church, and is said to be a most excellent young man.  The son-in-law, Mr. Hoppis, occupies the same relation to the Baptist Church.  William  is married, and lives on the home farm.  Lucy, John, Mary, Oliver, Ida, Dora, and Joseph, are at home with their parents.
     Mr. and Mrs. Waddle feel that they have been highly favored by the Devine Being.  Out of a family of eleven children, they have had but one death, and that daughter died in the triumphs of the Christian religion.  Except at the birth of their children, they never but once had occasion to call a physician to their aid.  In politics, Mr. Waddle is a Democrat.  In religion, the family are Old School Baptists, much attached to the church of their choice, and devoted to the service of the Saviour.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 759
Perry Twp. -
AUGUSTUS WESTMr. West was born in Madison County, Virginia, Mar. 20, 1814.  His father being a slave, he took the name of his mother, a free colored woman, Dilcie West, who supported his family by selling cakes and other pastry which she baked.  She was the mother of sixteen children.
     Mr. West came to Ohio in 1837, and settled in Highland County, three and a half miles from Hillsborough, where he resided three years; thence he moved to a farm on Falls Creek, and remained three years.  Moving from there he came to Fayette County, and bought fifty acres of land, on which he lived fifteen years.  Selling this land, he purchased one hundred and seventy-seven acres, eleven miles south of Washington, where he has resided for twenty-two years, surrounded by many comforts.
     He married Harriet Payton, in Culpepper County, Virginia, by whom he had eleven children.  She died in 1873.  He married his second wife, Mary Ootes, in 1877.
     Mr. West is a member of the Baptist Church, and a Republican.  His wife is a Methodist.  Two of his sons served in the army in the late war.  Andrew was a member of the 27th Michigan Infantry, and was killed at Honey Hill, North Carolina, in 1863.  William was wounded in the battle of the wilderness.
* Source #2: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 823
Union Twp. -
MARSHALL J. WILLIAMS, attorney-at-law, Washington, is a son of Dr. Charles M. Williams and Margaret Jane Williams, nee Mark, and was born Feb. 22, 1836.  From childhood he has been a close student, and at the age of nineteen graduated from the Ohio Wesleyan University, at Delaware, and soon after began his legal studies at Washington, with Nelson Rush.  He completed his legal course at the age of twenty-one, and shortly after opened an office at Sigourney, Iowa, where he remained about one year.  Becoming displeased with his location, he returned to Washington, and at once entered into a lucrative practice.  He married Bertha Taylor, a lady of Clermont County, but no children followed the union.
     In 1870, he was elected to the Ohio Legislature, as representative from Fayette County, and took a prominent part in many of the debates of that session.  In 1872, he was returned to the legislature, and served through both sessions of that body with distinction.  At present he stands at the head of his profession, and is recognized as one of the leading lawyers of southern Ohio, and has accumulated a fortune by his practice.
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  635
Paint Twp. -
JAMES M. WILLIS, farmer, was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, Jan. 20, 1808.  His father, Nathaniel was the first printer in Ohio.  He printed for the convention that formed the constitution, and was the first state printer.  He was born in Boston, Massachusetts; his mother, Mary Cartmill, a native of Virginia.  He was first married in Boston, to Miss Douglas, by whom he had two children - a son and daughter.  This son was the father of N. P. Wills, the poet.  By his second marriage there were four sons and seven daughters.
     James M.
, our subject, came to this county in January, 1826, and clerked in the store of Captain Philip Doddridge seven years, four years of this time for his board and clothes.  In 1833, he commenced selling goods for himself.  In 1837, he was joined in holy wedlock with Emily, daughter of William R. and Mary (Buchanan) Southard, of Bainbridge, Ross County, Ohio.  Eight children were the result of this union.  The deceased are John L., Lucy, Ella, Clara, and Fanny.  Those living are William R., James W., and Laura B.
     Mr. Willis
remained in the dry goods business for fifteen years, and retired with fifty thousand dollars profit.  He resides in Bloomingburg, owns a fine tract of land, containing eighteen hundred acres, well improved; is a self-made man, and a model farmer, as a look at his farm will testify.  His son William lives on a portion of the farm, in one of the finest houses in the county.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  1021
Union Twp. -
DR. C. M. WILSON, Physician, Washington, was born in Northampton, Pennsylvania, Sept. 28, 1845, and is a son of Charles and Catharine Wilson, of Hillsboro, Ohio.  They had a family of five children, two sons and three daughters.
     Our subject was married Mar. 2, 1871, to Miss Mary L. Pricer, daughter of David H. and Amanda Pricer, of South Salem, Ohio.  They have two children: Minnie and Amy C.  The doctor enlisted in August, 1864, in Company A, 175th O. V. I.  He was wounded in the first engagement at Franklin, Tennessee, and Nov. 30, 1864, had a second finger of his right hand shot off, and also received a flesh wound in his thigh.  After being wounded he was taken to Nashville, and one week afterward was removed to Louisville, and from thence to Cincinnati, where he lay in West End Hospital, from which he received his discharge from the service on the 20th day of May 1865.  The following fall he entered South Salem Academy, where he remained until the fall of 1868, when he began his medical studies under Dr. Looker, of Cincinnati, graduating in Miami Medical College, in March, 1871, and commenced a practice which has continued up to the present time, with the exception of six months spent in the college and hospital in New York City.  He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church.  His residence and office are on Court Street, where he has been since June, 1875.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 636
Perry Twp. -
JAMES WILSON, farmer and teamster, is the second son of William and Sarah (Santee) Wilson, natives of Ohio.  He was born Oct. 3, 1825.  His father's family consisted of ten children:  Eli, James, Sarah, William, John, George, Joseph, Cynthia, Sophia, and Margaret.  The parents died in Highland County, near Centerfield.
     George Santee, the maternal grandfather of this subject, served in the war of 1812, and died near Petersburg, Highland County, at an advanced age.
     Our subject was married, May 11, 1854, to Mrs. Elizabeth (Dowden) Wilson.  She was a native of Ohio, and was born April 5, 1823.  By a previous marriage she is a mother of two children:  Margaret J., born Feb. 11, 1844; William O., born May 5, 1847.
     Mr. and Mrs. Wilson are the parents of six children: Sarah F. A., born Jan. 28, 1855; married John Cooper.  Thomas L., born Sept. 17, 1856; Samuel A., born June 21, 1859; John E., born Feb. 3, 1862; Samantha F., born Jan. 2, 1864; Alwilda E., born July 20, 1866.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 820
Marion Twp. -
JAMES F. WILSON.  A long, honorable, and useful career was that of the late Dr. James F. Wilson, of New Holland, Perry Township, Pickaway County, and his name is revered by a wide circle of friends.  His face was familiar to almost every inhabitant of the western part of Pickaway and the eastern part of Fayette counties, and there are thousands who can testify to his professional thoroughness and ability, and to his intrinsic worth as a man.  His was a character that won universal respect by its simple dignity, earnestness, firmness, and unvarying integrity.  Not a member of any church, he was yet strongly imbued with the faith of Christianity, and his daily life put in practice those principles which are its teachings.  He was a liberal supporter of the church, too, and noted for the charity he bestowed on other objects in many directions, being a kind friend to the poor and distressed.  One of the most noble of his acts of charity, and one of the strongest indications of his large-hearted patriotism, was during the war.  Many of the men who enlisted in the companies, which were afterward assigned to the Ninetieth and One Hundred and Fourteenth regiments, Ohio volunteers, were indebted to him for professional services.  To all such he gave receipted bills; and to all the members of these two companies, and to other soldiers who went into the war from the vicinity of his home, the doctor made promises, which he faithfully fulfilled, to give their families his services free of charge.
     James F. Wilson was the son of John and Mary Wilson, who immigrated from Kentucky to Ross County, Ohio, about the year 1802.  He was born near Chillicothe, Oct. 5, 1808, and his early years were spent upon the home farm.  At the age of twenty-one years, he went to Greenfield, Highland County, and there began the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. Daniel Robbins.  He was finally after long and careful reading granted a diploma by the medical society of the district, and upon thus being authorized to practice his profession, immediately removed to New Holland, of which place he was the first resident physician.
     Although possessing a fair medical education, he was not satisfied; and so, after four years' practice, during which time he saved from his accumulated means the sum necessary to pay his expenses, he entered the Ohio Medical College of Cincinnati.  He graduated from this institution with a good record, and returned to New Holland, resuming his practice, and following it all the rest of his life.  His ride was a large one, and his practice as successful and lucrative as the country could bestow.  His professional reputation be came firmly established early in his career, and he took rank with the best physicians in the county, and was frequently called upon to spare time from his professional duties in the immediate neighborhood, to attend councils of physicians in localities at a considerable distance.  Dr. Wilson had an enviable reputation as a surgeon, as well as a physician, being regarded as one of the best in this part of the state.  He was for a time, during the war, located at Camp Chase, and in his capacity as surgeon, his services were of great value.
     He bought, in 1850, a fine farm, just over the line, in Marion Township, Fayette County, and in the western part of New Holland village, which was cleared and improved under his direction, and transformed from wild wood land into a beautiful agricultural tract.  In 1868, he removed to the house he had provided upon his farm - the tasteful home, where his widow yet resides.
     Dr. Wilson was, for the last twenty years of his life, afflicted with heart disease, and he died of this malady, Jan. 21, 1875, leaving a wife and one son.  Mrs. Wilson's maiden name was Letitia Dunlap, and she was a daughter of James and Elizabeth Dunlap, of Ross County.  She was born May 24, 1816, and married Aug. 31, 1837.
     The only son of James F. and Letitia Wilson is John M., one of Ohio's men of ability and distinction.  He was born Sept. 19, 1838.  In his sixteenth year he attended Antioch College, and remained there four years, under the instruction of the famous Horace Mann.  After President Mann's death, young Wilson entered Union college at Schenectady, New York, where he graduated with the class of 1862.  H read law at Columbus, with the Hon. Chauncy N. Olds, and was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court in Ohio, in 1864, and commenced the practice of his profession that same year, at Cincinnati, as the senior member of the firm of Wilson & Champion.  He represented Hamilton County two years - in 1871 and 1873 - in the legislature, and in the latter year, at the expiration of his term, was appointed, by President Grant, as consul to Bremen.  He remained there as the representative of the United States, two and one-half years, and was then appointed to the consulship at Hamburg, where he remained until July 1, 1879.  He is at present consul-general to the Columbian States of South America, and is located at Panama.  He married, Dec. 25, 1866, Carrie R. Turpin, of Newton, Hamilton County, Ohio.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  913
Union Twp. -
JOHN L. WILSON, carpenter, Washington, was born Sept. 18, 1835, and is a son of James N. and Maria Wilson.  His father is a native of North Carolina, and his mother of Ross County, Ohio.  The former came to Ohio in 1823, the latter in 1827.  They had six children.
     Our subject was married Jan. 21, 1867, to Anna, daughter of James G. and Tabitha Jolly, of Clinton County, Ohio, who bore him two children: James G. and Zeda B.  He is a member of Fayette Lodge No. 107, and Chapter No. 103, F. & A. M.  He received his education in Washington, where his youth was spent.  In politics he is a Republican.
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  636
Jefferson Twp. -
DANIEL WOOD.  The Wood family are of English descent, but nothing definite is known as to the date of their immigration to America.  Grandfather Isaac Wood, and Rachel, his wife, are the oldest of the name of whom anything is known.  They were, perhaps, natives of Pendleton County, Virginia.  He was born Dec. 25, 1729, and died Apr. 21, 1803; his wife was born Mar. 1, 1747, and died Aug. 29, 1822.  Their children were James, Elizabeth, Susanna, John, Daniel, Ann, Joel, William, Isaac, and Jacob.  Some of the family became residents of the western states.  Joel, Jacob, William, and their mother, ended their days in Ohio.
     Jacob Wood, the father of Daniel, was born in Virginia, and at the age of fifteen, went to Kentucky on a visit, where he was married, about the year 1808, to Rachel, daughter of Daniel Ramey.  They had two children born to them in Kentucky, and in December, 1811, they immigrated to Ohio, on pack-horses, bringing a few household goods, and located in Union Township, this county.  In 1833, he bought a farm on Rattlesnake, in Jasper Township.  Here his wife died.  He married his second wife about 1844, by whom he had no children.  He died at the age of seventy-nine, and is buried at Waterloo.
     Daniel Wood, the subject of this sketch, was the second child, and first son, of his father's family, and was born in Kentucky, Aug. 10, 1811, coming to Ohio with his parents at four months of age.  He was married, Sept. 10, 1838, to Tabitha, second daughter of Walter and Elizabeth (Francis) Leach, of Brown County.  She died, July 12, 1878, aged seventy-two years.  To them were born three sons and one daughter: William D., born Feb. 27, 1841; Cordelia A., born June 25, 1843; Roma F., born May 1, 1845, died Sept. 27, 1849; Marcellus T., born Nov. 2, 1846, enlisted as a soldier, and died at Murfreesboro, Tennessee, May 7, 1865, aged eighteen years.
     William married for his second wife, he married Rebecca Swoup,' May 2, 1872.  Cordelia married General Stephen B. Yeoman, in 1865, and lives in Washington.
     Our subject was married to his second wife, Mrs. Susan Adkins, widow of William Adkins, Feb. 4, 1880.  She is the third daughter of John and Frances (Randall) Yocom, of Pickaway County.  By her first marriage, she had two sons: James Vincent, and William H., both of whom reside with their mother and step-father.
     Mr. Wood became a member of the Baptist Church, at nineteen years of age, since which time his life has been that of a consistent Christian.  He has cheerfully borne the burdens incident to the support of the ministry, and the building of houses of worship.  In politics he is a decided Republican.  By close attention to farming, and legitimate business, he has gained a competency.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 968
Wayne Twp. -
NEWELL B. WOOD.  The ancestors of Mr. Wood came from Normandy to Ireland, in the eleventh century.  One family came to America in 1740; the head of this family was the father of William Wood, born in Maryland.  His son, Isaac, removed to this state from Kings County, Pennsylvania, December, 1810.  A few years after the Woods' came to America, they were followed by James Savage, who located near Augusta, Maine.  Amos Brailey was born in Maine, in 1776.  Alice Savage is a daughter of Joseph, a son of Isaac, who came from Ireland.  Alice was united in marriage to Amos Brailey.  Their daughter, Rebecca, came to Meigs County, Ohio, April, 1817.  Jan. 12, 1838, she was united in marriage to John Wood, the union being blessed by three children: Annas, born Aug. 26, 1839; Newell B., July 16, 1843, and Ruel B., Oct. 26, 1845.  Mr. Wood departed this life, Oct. 11, 1845.  His wife died, April, 1850.
     Our subject was born, July 16, 1843, in Rutland Township, Meigs County, Ohio.  His father having died one year previous, at three years of age, removed, with his mother, to Milton Township, Jackson County, locating on a farm, which has recently been purchased by the managers of the railroad running through it, and abounds in coal.  While attending school in the rude log cabin, as well was dug, those doing the work came upon a vein of coal, but did not use it for fuel, owning to the absence of proper facilities for burning it.  He remained on his farm until 1855, when they took a trip to Indiana, where they remained one year.  At that time the market was dull, labor cheap, and prices high.  They again located in Jackson County, where they remained until 1867, when they returned to their old home in Meigs County, and stayed two years.  During the intervening time, his grandfather's estate had been in court fourteen years.  It was quite valuable, but finally realized the three heirs but one hundred dollars each.
     He next worked on a farm in Jackson County, until 1863; spent one year in Pickaway County, near New Holland, and in the years 1864 - '66, worked for William McGee, at the Iron Valley Furnace, enjoying the confidence and esteem of his employer while there.
     He was married, Mar. 14, 1867, to Almed L., daughter of George W. Phillips, who still resides in Jackson County.  The union has been blessed with six children: Ida, born June 27, 1868; Haley R. Nov. 17, 1859; Clarence A., Mar. 13, 1872; Jesse G., Nov. 2, 1875; John B., July 28, 1878, and Charlie Lawrence, Oct. 3, 1879.  After his marriage, he moved to Vinton County, Ohio, and engaged in burning charcoal.  He remained one season, then returned to his former employer (McGee), whose furnace had been idle during the interval, and remained until 1871, when he removed to the farm he now occupies.
     He is a member of Fayette Lodge, No. 187, F. and A. M., and was made Master Mason, in Mineral Lodge, Vinton County.  He went out from Pickaway County to assist in capturing Morgan and was gone eighteen days.
     He occupies the John Boyd tract, which contains one thousand acres, divided by the Bogus road, and Ohio Southern Railroad.  It is well improved.  He has cleared about three hundred and fifty acres, constructed over twenty-five miles of fence, which required one hundred and seventeen thousand new rails.  The land is well drained, and contains five thousand two hundred and seventy-five rods of tile, and seven hundred and seventy rods of open ditch.  He opened the first coal mine on the Ohio Southern Railroad, and is still interested in its management.  He farms largely to grain and ships by the Ohio Southern Road.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  873
Jefferson Twp. -
WILLIAM DODDRIDGE WOOD, is the oldest child of Daniel and Tabitha (Leach) Wood, and was born in this county on the 27th of February, 1841.  The genealogy of the Wood Family appears in connection with the biography of Daniel Wood.
    
Our subject was fairly educated in the common schools of his neighborhood, and acquired studious habits, which he still retains.  He gave the years of his minority to hard work on his father's farm.  He was married, Feb. 27, 1866, to Mary Parker, second daughter of Elder Joseph Parker, of Warren County, Ohio.  She bore one son, John F. born Jan. 19, 1867; died Apr. 27, 1875.  Mrs. Wood was born, May 17, 1843, and died July 15, 1871.
     Mr. Wood married his present wife, May 2, 1872.  She is the fifth child of Thomas and Rebecca (Lefever) Swope, of Fairfield County, Ohio.  He father came to Ohio from Pennsylvania, in 1801, when Thomas was one year old.  Mrs. Wood was born, Aug. 31, 1834.  They have two sons: Thomas A., born Mar. 23, 1874, and Arly R. born Nov. 13, 1879.  Mrs. Wood's uncles and aunts, on the father's side, were: Lawrence, John, David, Rachel, Ann, Mary, and Louisa.
     Mr. Wood
has a fine record as a soldier.  He enlisted in Company A, of the fifty-fourth Ohio Infantry, in September, 1861, and served faithfully until August, 1865.  The fifty-fourth marched during its term of service a distance of three thousand, six hundred  and eighty-two miles, participated in four sieges, nine severe skirmishes, fifteen general engagements, and sustained a loss of five hundred and six men killed wounded and missing.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  967
Concord Twp. -
ROBERT WORTHINGTON, farmer and stock raiser, was born Sept. 28, 1831.  His father, Joseph Worthington, was born in Ross County, this state, Feb. 8, 1804.  In the year 1827, he married Hannah Shields, and the following year moved to Fairfield Township, Highland County, this state, and settled on a farm where he has continuously resided until the present time.  He has been one of the most widely and well known men of this county; although taking no very active part in politics or other affairs.  His occupation has been farming, and he has been remarkably successful, accumulating a large property.  This aged couple has been blessed with four children: Thomas, born in 1829; Joseph, born in 1833; William D., born in 1837, died June 4, 1854.
     Our subject married Catharine Cox, Mar. 17, 1853, by whom he had one son, who was left motherless by the death of the mother which occurred in one year after her marriage.  Mr. Worthington's mother took charge of the infant babe, and has seen him grow up to manhood.  He still remains with his grandparents, though twenty-seven years of age.  Robert remained single for eight years, living a lonely life on his large farm.  Sometimes having a family with him in his house, and sometimes all alone.
     In July, 1863, he was called to Chillicothe, this state, in defence of his country, and especially in opposition to John Morgan and his raiders.  By a seemingly strange coincidence of circumstances, he was led in the midst of that most wonderful excitement, on that memorable occasion, to the house of Andrew McDonald for food and shelter, where he formed the acquaintance of his present wife, Miss Jennie McDonald, daughter of Mr. McDonaldMiss Jennie was a bright, intelligent, and cultivated young lady, teaching school in the city and residing with her parents.  Dec. 10th, of the same year, they were married; soon after, she came with her husband to his log cabin, on his magnificent farm, on the waters of Rattlesnake Creek, on the road leading from Staunton to Leesburgh.
     This is quite a change for Mrs. Worthington, from the city, the school room and a nice city home, to the log cabin on a thousand acre farm; but she was equal to the task, and most grandly has she succeeded in this new order of things.  Mr. Worthington thinks that the Morgan raid was not so disastrous after all, at least so far as he is concerned.  They have two children: Maggie, born Dec. 29, 1866; William, born Apr. 19, 1870.  They have also an adopted daughter, Rhoda Tobin, adopted when but four years of age, now a young lady of nineteen, much loved by the family.  Indeed, she is regarded as one of the family.
     The farm consists of twelve hundred and twenty-two acres, all in a high state of cultivation, mostly used for grazing purposes.  Some three hundred head of cattle are fed and grazed by Mr. Worthington each year on his farm.
     In 1871, he built a magnificent residence, which is one of the finest in the county, at a cost of more than nine thousand dollars, which he occupies.  This family are devout Christians, all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
     The writer of this sketch has been in the ministry for more than thirty years;  In all that time, seldom, if ever, has he met a family of so much wealth and business, so fully devoted to God and his cause as this family.
* Source:  History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  760
Concord Twp. -
THOMAS S. WORTHINGTON, farmer and stock raiser, is a son of Joseph and Harriet Worthington, whose biography appears elsewhere in this book.  He was born in Fairfield Township, Highland County, Ohio, Aug. 18, 1829.  At the age of seventeen, he was placed by his father in charge of his large farm, on the waters of Rattlesnake Creek, in this township.  Here he remained, and continued to work for his father, until he was twenty-seven years of age, when he married Sarilda Parey, daughter of Samuel Parey, of Highland County.  She died in one year and six months after her marriage.  Mr. Worthington married for his second wife, Mrs. Margaret Spencer (formerly Margaret Pensinger), by whom he had two children: Joseph Burnell, now married, and living on his father's farm, and Harriet, also married, and living on the home farm.
     Mr. Worthington's farm contains some fifteen hundred acres of as rich, fertile land as can be found in the county, all in one body, being on the east side of Rattlesnake Creek, reaching up to the Snow Hill pike and situated on both sides of the Charleston road  The entire farm is under fence, and in a good state of cultivation.  Much of it is used for meadow and grazing purposes.  Our subject confines himself strictly to his business, giving personal attention to the varied interests of his large farm.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page 760
Concord Twp. -
ANTHONY WAYNE WRIGHT, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Mar. 1812.  He is a son of John Wright, whose biography, or family history appears in the sketch of Concord Township.  Our subject married Sarah Wright (no relationship existing) in 1833, by whom he had three children, one son and two daughters: Margaret, Samantha Jane, and Jasper W.  Mrs. Wright died Oct. 19, 1840. 
     In 1843, Mr. Wright married Margaret Caylor, by whom he had one son, John A., who lives on a farm near Jeffersonville, in this county.  Jasper W. owns and lives on the portion of his father's home farm lying on the east side of Sugar Creek, in Union Township.  The two daughters are living at home with their parents.  Samantha Jane has been married twice; both husbands are dead.  She has an interesting son, ten years of age, James L. Cannon, living with her and his grandparents.
     Mr. Wright is the owner of a most excellent farm on Sugar Creek, where he resides, and is quite active and enterprising for a man of his years.  His wife is his senior  by several years, and shows signs of advancing age.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  762
Jefferson Twp. -
JOHNSON W. WRIGHT, farmer, Jeffersonville, is a son of James and Nancy (Johnson) Wright, who were natives of Virginia.  They were married in Ross County, this state, about 182, and remained there a short time, and then removed to Pike County, where Mrs. Wright died in 1845, aged sixty-eight years.  Mr. Wright died in Illinois in 1842, aged about seventy-two years.  They had a family of nine children, all of whom lived to maturity.
     Our subject, who is the youngest, was born Aug. 15, 1825, and has been twice married.  Dec. 22, 1852, he has married to Miss Mary E. Wright, who bore him one child, Charles W.  She died Mar. 15, 1866.  On the 22d of June, 1868, he was united with Miss Mary F. Carr.  Two children are the result of this marriage: Amy A. and Isy G.; the latter died June 11, 1871.
     Mrs. Wright has a farm of forty-five acres, well improved, situated one and one-half mile north of Jeffersonville.  His second wife was a member of the Methodist Protestant Church.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  706
Jefferson Twp. -
REBECCA WRIGHTRebecca (Carr) Wright, Jeffersonville, was born in this county, Mar. 29, 1813.  On the 2d of January, 1830, she was married to Mathias B. Wright, who, with a Mr. Horney, bought the land where Jeffersonville now stands, and laid out the town in 1830.  Mr. Wright  died July 3, 1876, aged sixty-eight years.  He was born in Ross County, Ohio, and came to this county with his parents when about nine years of age.  They had a family of ten children: Walter S., Mary E., Amanda J., Mathias K., Ruhama A., John M., William C., and Amanda J., are deceased.  The surviving ones are all married.
     Walter married Miss Nancy Allen, of this county, and had four children, three living.
     Mary E. married John W. Wright, of his county, and has one child.
     Ruhama married Joseph W. Haymaker, of this county, and has five children.
     Mathias K., born Sept. 6, 1838, married Miss Maria L. Hooker, of Fairfield county, (born Jun. 9, 1841,) on the 18th of April, 1861.  He has a farm of one hundred acres, situated one-half mile north of Jeffersonville.  He is one of Fayette County's prominent stock dealers, and deals largely in Poland-China hogs, and fine sheep.  Has taken several premiums at county fairs; also at the Tri-State Fair, Toledo, and the Southern Ohio Fair, Dayton.
     John M. married Miss Catherine Milburn, of Greene County.  They have four children.
     Sarah E. married Peter T. Wigginton, of this county, and has five children.
     Frank married Miss Laurinda Jackson, of this county.  They have two children.
     Mrs. Wright lives in Jeffersonville.  She and Mr. Wright were members of prominent pioneer families.  The family is of good repute, and highly respected.  Mrs. Wright, John, and Amanda are members of the Methodist Protestant Church. Mr. Wright and M. K. were members of the Universalist Church, where M. K. still retains his membership.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  706
Jefferson Twp. -
WALTER S. WRIGHT, farmer, Jeffersonville, son of M. B. Wright, (whose history appears in this work,) was born in this township, Mar. 28, 1832.  On the 15th of April, 1860, he was married to Miss Nancy Allen.  Four children are the result of this union:  Olive M., Almer A., Lucy R., and one who died in infancy.
     In August, 1862, Mr. Wright enlisted in Company K, 44th O. V. I., at Washington.  In 1864 the entire company enlisted in Company K, O. V. C., and served until the close of the war, when they were honorably discharged.  He received an injury while in the service that will be a detriment to him through life.  Has a farm of sixty-eight acres, well improved, situated one and three-fourth miles north of Jeffersonville.
* Source: 
History of Fayette County, Ohio & State of Ohio - By R. S. Dills - Publ. Odell & Meyer Publishers, Dayton, Ohio - 1881 - Page  705
NOTES:
 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FAYETTE COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights