OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Franklin County,
 Ohio

CHOLERA IN 1833
(Source: History of Madison Township, Franklin Co., Ohio - 1902)
Chapter IX

     In the latter part of June, 1833, a man traveling by canal boat from Cleveland, stopped off at the road crossing the canal about a mile and one-half west of Winchester, and went to the residence of a Mr. Woodcock - who lived near where the toll gate used to be kept on the Columbus and Winchester pike, now owned by Mr. Judy - and at his request Mrs. Woodcock did some washing for him, and it is supposed that the clothes were infected with cholera.  Mr. Woodcock went to George's creek to fish while his wife did the washing; he soon after returned and drank freely of buttermilk.  In a very short time afterwards he took violently sick, his family and near neighbors thinking from the effect of the buttermilk.  At the time this was one of the most thickly settled neighborhoods in the township, and of course everybody was always ready to lend a helping hand when they had to depend on each other.  It was not long until nearly the whole neighborhood had gather to lend what assistance they might, none dreaming of hte dread pestilence so  soon to enter their homes.  Mr. Woodcock soon died, and only a few hours afterwards his wife died also.  Dr. Wiley, who lived in the Wheeler  house, now owned by J. M. Lehman, expressed the opinion that they had died of cholera.  Nearly all present thought it precautionary to leave at once, and suited their actions to their feelings.   But it was too late.  Within the next few weeks some 30or more persons died in this neighborhood alone.  Nearly all died in a few hours after being attacked.  Among those who died are the following: 
     Wm. Woodcock
, a cooper by trade, and his wife;
     Walter Hughes, and his son Walter, who lived in a log house just south of the road and opposite the residence of George Keichle;
     Henry Schoonover
and son Perry aged 7 years, who lived in a log house on the bank of Walnut Creek, just back of Chaney's track, now occupied by Mr. Bitler;
     John Schoonover
, who lived 200 to 300 years south of his brother Henry;
     Wm. Davis
and wife,
     George W. Drain,
     Benj
. Boyd and his wife Polly and two children, Isaac and Sarah;  they lived in a log house just north of Union Grove Cemetery, which house was afterwards removed to the first lock west of Winchester, where it stood many years and was finally consumed by fire.
     Mrs. Isaac McCormack.
     Evans McCormack,
     Thompson Cross
, wife and son, who lived in a log cabin that stood near where D. H. Tallman now lives;
     a Mr. Cox, who lived in a log house on the Amos Painter farm;
     a Mr. Gale, who lived about one hundred yards south from the canal, on the east side of the Oregon road, and
     Mrs. Wm. Smith, who lived in the old brick house on the Jerry Alspach farm.  She was the last victim.
     Mr. Martin, in his history referring to this epidemic, writes:  "In the summer of 1833 the cholera made its first appearance in Franklin county.  It first broke out in the early part of the summer, in a neighborhood on the canal, in Madison Township, where it proved very fatal, but was confined to a space of a few miles only.  On the 14th of July it made its first appearance in Columbus and continued until about October. *  *  *  During its prevalence there were about two hundred deaths in Columbus, notwithstanding the whole population of the town was not much, if any, over three thousand, and it was supposed that one-third had fled to the country.  *  *  *  The mortality and terrors of this season far surpassed any pestilence that ever afflicted Columbus before or since."
     In the latter part of August, 1854, there were three deaths in Winchester supposed to have been by cholera.  Two strangers came on a boat; one of them died the next morning and the other soon after; the third one was Dutch Philip (Philip Bourne); he lived in the house now occupied by Mrs. McFadden;  it was then plastered on the outside and painted to represent variegated marble, and in consequence was called the "calico house."  The two strangers died in the old Bartlit store building near the canal bridge, in which Jacob Direling then kept a tavern.

 

< BACK to TABLE of CONTENTS >
 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
FRANKLIN COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights