was organized in 1805 from portions of Beaver Creek,
Caesar's Creek and Sugar Creek Townships. It includes
a larger area than any other township in the county and is
one of the most famous for its fancy stock. Being the
township of the county seat, it contains a number of county
institutions, such as the courthouse, jail, etc., mentioned
in the historical sketch. Situated about two miles
west of Xenia are the County Infirmary and the Children's
Home. The former comprises a three-story brick
building, erected about forty years ago, set in a farm of
105 acres and supplied with water from the city water works.
There are usually about seventy inmates in the Infirmary,
while in the Home, an older building across the road, about
thirty children are cared for. In addition to the city
of Xenia, the township contains the villages of OLDTOWN,
GOES and WILBERFORCE.
OLDTOWN, three miles north of
Xenia, has a celebrated history which is related in the
article of "The Original People of the County," Part II.
At present it is the home of about 50 people and has a M. E.
church, a school house, a flour mill, a store, and the
inevitable blacksmith shop. It is no longer a station
on the railroad.
GOES owes its importance chiefly
to the Miami Powder Company which has its plant there,
employing about sixty men. The town is a flag station
on the Springfield and Xenia railroad and has a school
house, store, and blacksmith shop. The waters of a
large spring above the town supply its 200 inhabitants with
pure water at little cost.
WILBERFORCE was formerly a health
resort called Tawawa Springs, but since 1856 it has been the
seat of Wilerforce University, which is described in a
separate article. Wilberforce has a population of 300,
exclusive of the University students, and contains some
attractive residences. There are three restaurants and
a store, and a flag station on the P. C. C. & St. L.
Railroad three quarters of a mile away.