SPRING VALLEY TOWNSHIP
This township was organized in 1856 from Sugar Creek,
Caesar's Creek, and Xenia Townships. It is fertile,
containing much bottom land, and is second only to Sugar
Creek in tobacco production.
SPRING VALLEY, its chief town is situated on the broad,
level plain surrounded by the labyrinth of hills. The
settlement, originally called Transylvania and consisting
only of several houses, a general store, and the tavern and
stage station of Jeffrey Truman, was on the west bank of the
river, but with the construction of the Panhandle Railroad
in 1845 the population shifted to its present center under
the eastern range of hills.
Among the first industries were the pork packing and
shipping company of Byrd & Walton, Barret's Woolen
Mill, Dougherty's linseed oil mill, and the large
cooper shop of Giles Kinney. At present Spring
Valley has a population of 700 (official, in 1900. 522).
It has a flouring mill, two saw mills, a canning factory, a
concrete block factory, three blacksmith shops, a national
bank (surplus $60,000), a hotel, two restaurants, a poultry
shipping house, two barber shops, and seven stores.
Spring Valley's springs are its proudest possession.
There are said to be fourteen different kinds of water
within a radius of two miles. From one spring gushes a
stream of water seven inches in diameter. "Magnetic"
water flows from a pipe that was drilled for oil, while
within ten inches of it strong medicinal water with no
magnetic quality is ejected intermittently by the force of
its own gas. This water comes from 1450 feet below the
surface; it has about the same density as sea water and its
chief constituents are common salt and Epsom salts.
There are three churches in Spring Valley: the
Methodist Episcopal (which in 1907 erected a new $8,000
church of concrete blocks), the Methodist Protestant, and
the Friends'. A new school and high school building
was also built of concrete blocks in 1907.
CLAYSVILLE, or ROXANNA, as it is now called, is a
shipping point on the P. C. C. & St. L. Railroad. It
is about two miles below Spring Valley, and the population
is about 30.
M. E. Church. - Main Street - Walnut Street -
(Photo by Rosa E. Johnson)
View from the Mound.
NEW BURLINGTON, 9 miles south of Xenia, has its
northern section in Spring Valley Township, but the larger
part of it lies in Clinton County.
< CLICK HERE
to RETURN to TABLE OF CONTENTS >