OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Guernsey County, Ohio
by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet
- Illustrated -
Vols. I & 2.
B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana -
1911

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1911 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


 

   

Albert E. Pitt
ALBERT E. PITT.  One of the successful and deserving young men of Cambridge, Guernsey county, and a scion of an excellent and highly honored old family is Albert E. Pitt.  He has labored persistently along legitimate lines in order to advance himself and has never depended upon anyone for assistance, preferring to hew his own way to success.
     Mr. Pitt was born December, 4, 1879, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, and is the son of Edward D. and Margaret (Jarvis) Pitt, both born in England, where they grew to maturity, were educated and married, soon afterward coming to America.  Mr. Pitt was a direct descendant of the famous Sir William Pitt.  Having learned the trade of iron worker in his native country, Edward D. Pitt followed the same after coming to America, being employed in the iron mills at Pittsburg.  In 1886 he moved his family to New Philadelphia, Tuscarawas county, Ohio, where he worked in the iron mills until 1890 when he moved to Cambridge at the opening of the Cambridge Sheet Steel Company and he was one of the first heaters employed in this mill.  He was very skilled in his line.  His death occurred in November, 1909; his widow is still living.  The elder Pitt was an extensive traveler and, being a close observer, he was a well-informed man and took much more than a passing interest in the affairs of his county, desiring to see better conditions for all classes.  He was a firm believer in the republican form of government and he was an active worker in the ranks of the Republican party, in its caucuses, conventions, etc., but he was not an officer seeker himself.  He was also active in labor organizations, in fact, every movement having for its object the betterment of the laboring classes and the general good.
     Albert E. Pitt was educated in the public schools of New Philadelphia and when seventeen years of age he entered the iron mills of that city as an apprentice, learning the trade of rougher.  When the foundry was moved to Cambridge he came here and was employed in the mills here and has since resided at this place.
     Mr. Pitt was married on November 26, 1900, to Minnie May Williams, daughter of Charles and Catherine (Tregoweth) Williams, of Youngstown, Ohio.  Mr. Williams was a brick contractor.  For the past ten years he ahs been in the Klondyke gold field in Alaska.  His family still reside in Youngstown.  Mr. and Mrs. Pitt  have no family.
     Since their marriage Mr. Pitt was employed in the mills of Cambridge until the summer of 1909, since which time he has been employed at Martin's Ferry, Ohio, in the iron mills there, but he still resides in Cambridge where he has a very comfortable home.  He is an expert in his special line of work and his services are in demand wherever there is an iron mill.
     Politically, Mr. Pitt is a Republican and he has long been active in the affairs of the party, his first presidential vote being cast for Roosevelt in 1904, having missed his vote for McKinley in 1900 by just one month.  He has frequently been a delegate to county, district and state conventions.  On June 28, 1910, his party nominated him for state senator in the eighteenth and nineteenth senatorial district of Ohio.  His candidacy was universally regarded as the most fortunate one, owing to his general popularity with the party and his recognized ability and genuine worth and his public spirit.  He is well qualified for any public trust that might be reposed in him, since his integrity and sincerity cannot be questioned.  Like his honored father before him, he has always been active in labor organizations and has always stood ready to do what he could in bettering the condition of the laboring classes.  He is a member of the Iron and Steel Workers Union and has filled several offices of the association.  He was active in the organization of the Trades and Labor Assembly of Guernsey county and served for two terms as president of that organization.  He has always been active in every movement calculated to promote the interests of labor.  He was legislative representative of the Ohio Federation of Labor in the seventy-eighth General Assembly of Ohio.  He very worthily aspires to the position occupied by his father, who was recognized as a world wide friend of organized labor.  He was presented with a very handsome loving cup by the Amalgamated Association or Iron and Steel Workers of Etouria, England.
     The father's family consisted of Harry E. Pitt, of Cambridge; Albert E., of this review; William E., of Pittsburg, and M. Emmiluine, labor evangelist who is also engaged in newspaper work in Pittsburg.  In 1907 the father returned from Cambridge to Pittsburg to reside, having retired from mill work, and his death occurred in the latter city, among his early friends and associates and where he had been a great factor in many public movements.
     Albert E. Pitt is a worthy son of a worthy sire.  He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and are active in church work.  Mrs. Pitt is a cultured and refined woman.  Mr. Pitt  is a nephew of Rev. Henry Pitt, vicar of St. Mary Magdalene's church at Surrey Square, London, England.  Rev. Henry being a brother of Edward D. Pitt, father of the subject.  This is indeed a most distinguished family.  A deceased sister of Albert E. Pitt, Queen E., who died in August, 1904, at the family home in Pittsburg, was a great Sunday school worker in the Baptist church and was a teacher of English among the Chinese in the city of Pittsburg, and a young woman greatly admired and beloved for her many commendable qualities of head and heart.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 816
  JAMES ARTHUR PRYOR.   Biographies should not be published unless there is something in the life and character of the individual worthy of emulation or imitation by others under like circumstances - certainly not for self-aggrandizement; but sufficient has been drawn from the life history of James Arthur Pryor, a well established and progressive business man of Byesville, to show that there is something in the inner life of this man worthy of more than incidental mention.  He began life practically at the bottom of the ladder, but he has climbed to the top with no help but a brave heart, industrious hands and an intelligent brain, and he is a splendid example of what may be accomplished in this country by thrift and perseverance, even under discouraging circumstances.  He is a very affable gentleman, keen, far-sighted, energetic and he is held in highest esteem.
     Mr. Pryor was born July 27, 1878, at Waterford, Ohio, and is the son of James Alexander and Arminta (Davis) Pryor.  When he was six weeks old his mother died and the father afterwards remarried, and James A. was left with his sister at Waterford, in Washington county, Ohio, moving to Ava at age four  years.  He lived with her until nine years old, then went to Waterford to live with another sister, with whom he remained about two years, after which he spent two years with his brother, Walter Pryor, at Chandlersville, then spent a year with E. A. Atchison, at Spratt, Ohio, on a farm, as all his boyhood had been spent.  At the age of thirteen he worked for his board and clothes for a time, then went to Pleasant City with a sister and attended school there.  A year later he went to work for R. O. Knott, at Pleasant City, for the salary of six dollars a month and boarded himself, in a clothing and gents' furnishings store.  He was with Mr. Knott for two years and nine months, at the expiration of which time he went to Macksburg and was overseer of a hotel, known as the Hamilton house.  Sickness compelled him to relinquish that position, much to the regret of everyone there, and he returned to his sister at Pleasant City, where he worked in the general store of C. J. Kinsey for three years clerking.  At the age of twenty-one he was married to Carrie B. Scholl, of Tuscarawas county, Ohio, the daughter of Charles and Emma (Unger) Scholl.  Her mother was a daughter of Josiah Unger, who was a leader in the Civil war.  The next venture made by Mr. Pryor was to borrow one hundred dollars of one Isaac Secrest, of Pleasant City, giving his note therefore, and bought with this samples of merchandise, from which he took orders, and filled them.  Inside of six months he had paid off the note.  He continued in that way for one year, then opened a small store in Pleasant City in a room fifteen by thirty-one feet in size.
     In 1903 Mr. Pryor moved to Byesville, Ohio, and there bought a lot and built a store on Sixth street, of that town.  He carried on merchandising at this place for about two years, at the end of which time, with undaunted courage, he sold his little store and took over the property of "The Big Store," owned by T. F. Slay.  It was really a big store, and it seemed to some that it was ridiculous for him to think of buying it with his limited means.
     Nothing daunted, however, he went to E. F. Meek, who, though not a personal friend nor relative of Mr. Pryor, endorsed his notes for three thousand, seven hundred and fifty dollars, due in nine and eighteen months.  By energy and close application to business he persevered and the notes were paid off in less than sixty days.  He worked like a man possessed, which is certainly great evidence of his thrift and tact.
     In February, 1908, Mr. Pryor was involved in a deal in options for coal land.  His partner withdrew because of lack of capital to carry it through, leaving on Mr. Pryor the burden of the whole deal.  In this he again showed his ability as a financier, by landing the deal in less than three days, in a way most pleasing and gratifying to himself.  He left the deal in the hands of good reliable and financially responsible people to continue the development of one of the best blocks of coal in Guernsey county.  He next consummated a deal for buying the C. S. Gager Dry Goods Company's store in Byesville.  He then bought the lot where his new store is now located on Depot street, one of the best sites in Byesville, and erected the brick building he now occupies, which ranks among the finest in Byesville.  September 24, 1908, the building was completed and the store in its new quarters ready for business.  The store occupies two floors, each thirty-five by one hundred and twenty feet, without a pier or a post, as large a clear floor space as can be found in any store in this county.  In 1908 and 1909 he bought and sold ninety-four different pieces of real estate, in Byesville.  In 1910 he completed another handsome brick business block, adjoining the one occupied by his store, the new one being occupied by Eberle & McCormick's furniture store, and Becket & Peter's pool room, both establishments being of high grade and a credit to the city.  Besides the deals above mentioned, Mr. Pryor has been interested in many other enterprises.  Mr. Pryor also owns several good business locations in Byesville, all on paved streets and well kept up.  His home is one of the modern and attractive ones of Byesville.  He seeks good property as the basis of his investments.  In addition to his other business ventures, he has an establishment at Byesville, where he sells buggies, wagons and farming implements.  On October 5, 1910, he purchased his old stand opposite his large drygoods store, which he sold to the firm of Gaskill & Froelich, general store, three and one-half years ago, where he has an extensive and growing trade.  This, in connection with his other mercantile interests, is probably the largest business of the kind in Guernsey county.
     Mr. and Mrs. Pryor have one little daughter, Pauline, a bright, winsome child.  Mr. Pryor is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows at Pleasant City and the Knights of Pythias at Byesville.  He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and his wife to the German Lutheran Church.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page 820
   
   
  U. C. PURDUM, D. D. S.   We here mention one of the citizens of Cambridge who can justly point with pride to his ancestors as honorable men of true worth, who gained by their many good qualities the esteem and respect of those who knew them, and who has himself made such a success of life as to be in every way a credit to his forefathers and to his city.
     U. C. Purdum was born in Washington, Guernsey county, Ohio, on April 28, 1871, the son of ZACHARY A. and Mary E. (Colley) Purdum.  Elisha G. Purdum, his grandfather, came at an early day from near Baltimore, Maryland, to Center township, Guernsey county.  He was a farmer and lived until 1901, dying in Idaho, where he had moved some years previously, most of his family having preceded him.  Six sons and four daughters were born to him:  Ann Rebecca, now Mrs. S. S. Sultzer, of Flushing, Ohio; Zachary A., deceased, father of U. C.; Rodolphus of Nampa, Idaho; Christian R., deceased; Thomas, deceased; William L., deceased; Mary E., now Mrs. Henry Wilterding, of Nampa, Idaho; Della, now Mrs. Melville Fordyce, of Cambridge; John A., in government employ in the canal zone; and May, deceased.
     Zachery A. Purdum was in the livery and stock business for many years in Washington, Guernsey county, then was three years in Idaho, returning to Cambridge, where he was engaged in the livery business until his death, October 16, 1900.  He was a man of influence and force, and had accumulated quite an estate in land and property.
     Archibald Shipley, of the father's maternal ancestry, came to this county early from near Baltimore.  He became quite prominent and was a large land owner and tobacco merchant.  On account of his geniality and broad views on public questions, he was very popular, and was active in political affairs, but never held office.  He died many years ago, highly respected by all who knew him.
     The Colley family came early from near Baltimore.  William Colley father of Mrs. Purdum, was first a teamster over the National pike from Cumberland, Maryland, west, but soon after coming to Guernsey county engaged in the marble business in Washington, Adamsville and Zanesville.  He was a man of high standing whose counsel was often sought, and who filled many of the important offices of the township where he lived.  Both Mr. Purdum and Mr. Colley were Democrats in politics.  Mr. Colley and his family moved in the best circles.  He died in January, 1891, and his widow on August 25, 1897.  Both are buried in Washington cemetery.  They were the parents of six children: Mary E., now Mrs. Zachary A. Purdum, of Cambridge; John Oscar, of Cambridge; Rolland W., of Columbus, Ohio; Amanda V., of Cambridge; Jennie N., of Cambridge; Annie H., deceased, who was Mrs. Pearl McCreary
     To Mr. and Mrs. Zachary Purdum one son was born, U. C. Purdum the subject of this sketch.  He attended the public schools of Washington, and after graduating from them attended the Ohio College of Dental Surgery at Cincinnati,  graduating in 1891.  He practiced in Nampa, Idaho, for two years before graduation.  After graduation he went to Pittsburg, where he remained one year.  In 1892 he went to Buffalo for two years, practicing in the employ of other dentists.  In 1894 he came to Cambridge and opened an office for himself, and has since been here.  His office is finely equipped for the successful practice of scientific dentistry, and he has all the modern appliances.  He has been more than ordinarily successful in his profession.
     Mr. Purdum was married on January 16, 1901, to Bertha May Shroyer, daughter of Solomon H. and Eliza (Brannan) Shroyer.  Mr. Shroyer is a prominent man in Cambridge township, Guernsey county, and a farmer of considerable means.  His family of four consists of Jennie T. now Mrs. J. W. Jacques, of Ft. Wayne, Indiana; Henry C., of Cambridge; Howard S., of Cambridge; and Bertha May, all of them living lives of worth.  To Mr. and Mrs. Purdum has been born one son, Ralph E., a bright lad of seven years.
     Doctor Purdum is a Democrat in politics, as were all his ancestors, but is not active, though interested in public affairs.  He is a member of Cambridge lodge of Odd Fellows, and was a charter member of the Odd Fellows lodge of Nampa, Idaho, taking much interest in the order.  He and his family are members of the Methodist church, also his mother, who now makes her home with her son.  Mr. and Mrs. Purdum are prominent in the social life of the city.  Mr. Purdum is a lover of a good horse and keeps a fine family driver, also enjoys a day's hunting or fishing as a relaxation from business.  Being fond of athletics, he delights in a good game of baseball or football.  In all respects he is a strong man, and he and his family stand high in the community.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page  546
  THOMAS PYLES.  One of the well known and successful business men of Cambridge and one of the most representative citizens of Guernsey county is Thomas Pyles, a man of sound judgment, wise discretion and keen business ability, as his rapid rise from the modest beginning to his present high standing among the enterprising individuals of this locality abundantly attests.  By judiciously investing his means and managing his various affairs, he has come into possession of valuable property, and he is a man who takes much pride in the growth and advancement of his county.
     Mr. Pyles was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, in 1858, and he is the son of Thomas H. and Nancy J. (Phillis) Pyles.  About 1867 the family moved to Guernsey county, Ohio, and located about three miles east of Claysville, where the father bought a farm and established the family home.  Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas H. Pyles, named as follows:  Mrs. Rachel J. Stewart; J. J.; Jacob P.; Thomas, of this review; M. C.; Mrs. Ella Wilson and Mrs. Maggie Vessel; all but Jacob P., who resides in the state of Washington, live in Guernsey county.  The father of these children, a man of much sterling worth, was called to his reward in the fall of 1903.  He was a stanch Democrat and took a lively interest in public affairs, especially everything pertaining to his community.  He was twice land appraiser and also township assessor.  His widow, a woman who has a host of friends, is still living in this county.
     Thomas Pyles lived on the home farm until he was about twenty-two years old.  In 1880 he began learning the trade of marble and granite cutting near Claysville, and later worked under David K. Kyle in Cambridge, a veteran in that line of work, and he continued with Mr. Kyle until June, 1884, when he started a plant of his own in Cambridge.  About 1890 or soon thereafter he bought out the business of his old employer, Mr. Kyle, and combined it with his own, and he enjoys an extensive trade from the start.  Five years later he bought the marble and granite business of Jed Williams and put his own plant and stock in with it.  He now has a large modern plant, equipped with all the latest machinery pertaining to this line of work, pneumatic cutting tools, gas engine for power, etc.  He has by far the largest business in Guernsey county of this kind, and, indeed, his patronage is not limited by the boundaries of this county, but extends to remote localities of eastern Ohio.  Only first-class material is used and only high grade workmanship is allowed to go out, consequently the large and rapidly growing prestige of this plant is well deserved.
     In October, 1883, Mr. Pyles married Mary Crow, daughter of Thompson and Isabel (Sherrard) Crow.  Mrs. Pyles was born in the north part of this county6 and was reared and educated here, in fact, has lived here all her life.  Her father came from Washington county, Pennsylvania, about the middle of the last century with his parents, who located near Kimbolton, this county.  The mother of Mrs. Pyles was a native of Guernsey county and the grandparents were natives of Ireland.
     Mr. and Mrs. Pyles have no children living.  Roger T. died when four months old; they also had an adopted daughter, whom they took at the age of two years, about 1888; her death occurred in March, 1907, at the age of nineteen years.
     Mr. and Mrs. Pyles are both members of the Second United Presbyterian church, of which Mr. Pyles is an elder, a trustee and a liberal supporter, interested in all phases of church work.  He is a very successful business man and besides his marble and granite works he is interested in the Puritan Coal Company, and he has been very successful and now has a nice home and has laid by a competency for his declining years.  Honesty and promptness are his watchwords in business, and, in fact, all the relations of life.
Source: History of Guernsey County, Ohio by Col. Cyrus P. B. Sarchet - Illustrated - Vols. I & 2. - Publ: B. F. Bowden & Company, Indianapolis, Indiana - 1911 - Page   943

NOTES:  

 

..

 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
GUERNSEY COUNTY, OHIO
RETURN TO
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights