OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
HANCOCK COUNTY, OHIO
History & Genealogy

CITIES, TOWNSHIPS
and OTHER MUNICIPALITIES

ARCADIA was laid out by David Peters and Ambrose Peters on the south part of the north half of the southwest quarter and the north part of the south half of the southwest quarter of section twenty (20), Washington township.  The plat of said village including 123 lots was acknowledged before Henry Byal, justice of the peace, July 17, 1855, and was recorded by I. J. Baldwin, recorder, July 20, 1855.  This village was incorporated May 15, 1859.
ARLINGTON was laid out by Robert Hurd on the southwest part of section six (6), and the southeast part of section one (1), Madison township.  The plat of said village consisting of 16 lots was acknowledged November 2, 1844, before Isaac Wohlgamuth, justice of the peace, and recorded November 4, 1844, by John Adams, recorder.  Incorporated February 10, 1892.
BENTON was laid out by William Mires on the east half of the northwest quarter of section thirty-five (35), Blanchard township.  The plat of said village consisting of 36 lots was acknowledged before William L. Henderson, justice of the peace, November 5, 1835, and recorded November 11, 1835, by W. Vance recorder.  Incorporated March 3, 1875.
CANNONSBURG was laid out by Benjamin Marshall, William McConnell, Franklin Ballard and James C. Marshall on the east part of section thirty-five (35) and the west part of section thirty-six (36) in Union township.  The plat of said village consisting of 36 lots was acknowledged December 13, 1839, by John McKinley, justice of the peace, and recorded December 13, 1839, by J. Barnd, recorder.
CAPERNAUM was laid out by Abraham Huff on the west half of the northeast quarter of section (3), Amanda township.  The plat, consisting of 16 lots, was acknowledged before Joshua Hedges, a justice of the peace, March 14, 1831, and recorded by Wilson Vance, recorder, March 15, 1831.  The town was vacated December 30, 1862.
DEWEYVILLE was laid out by John B. Williams on the south part of the west part of the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter and the north part of the west part of the west half of the southwest quarter of section fifteen (15), Pleasant township.  The plat of said village consisting of 40 lots was acknowledged June 5, 1880, before Edwin Phifer, surveyor, and recorded July 19, 1880, by Joseph F. Gutzewiler, recorder.  This village has not been incorporated.
FINDLAY was laid out by Robert McKinnis and Elnathan Cory on the southeast part of section thirteen (13), and the southwest part of section eighteen (18), Findlay township.  The plat of said village consisting of 156 lots was acknowledged before Robert McKinnis, associate judge, September 26, 1829, and recorded October 12, 1829, by Wilson Vance, recorder.  Findlay was incorporated March 17, 1838, by act of the legislature of the state of Ohio.
FOSTORIA, formerly known as Risdon, was laid out by John Gorsuch on the east part of the northeast quarter of section one (1), Washington township, Hancock county, and the west half of the northwest quarter of section six (6), Loudon township, Seneca county.  The plat of Fostoria consisting of 60 lots, 30 in each county, was acknowledged September 6, 1832, before Wm. L. Henderson, justice of the peace3, and recorded September 10, 1832, by Wilson Vance, recorder.
FRANKFORD, was laid out by John Franks on the northwest quarter of section ten (10), Cass township.  The plat of said would be village, consisting of 72 lots was acknowledged before William L. Henderson, justice of the peace, July 10, 1833, and recorded by W. Vance, recorder, July 17, 1833.
FREEDOM was laid out by Uriah E. Drake on the east half of the southwest quarter of section nineteen (19), Biglick township.  The plat, consisting of 48 lots, was acknowledged before John Campbell, a justice of the peace, October 29, 1836, and recorded on the same day of C. W. O'Neal, deputy recorder.
JAMESTOWN was laid out by Henry Sockrider and George James on the northeast corner of the east half of the southeast quarter of section thirty-six (36), Amanda township, and the northeast corner of the east half of the northeast quarter of section one (1), Richland township.  The plat, consisting of 24 lots, was acknowledged before Silas Burson, a justice of the peace, September 16, 1835, and recorded October 16, 1835, by P. Carlin.
JENERA was laid out by Peter Traucht, Samuel Fellers and John Heldman on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of section five (5), Van Buren township.  The plat, consisting of 20 lots, was acknowledged April 14, 1883, before Wm. M. McKinley, justice of the peace, and recorded May 10, 1883 by J.F. Butzwiler, recorder.  Jenera was incorporated December 30, 1893.
LA FAYETTE was laid out by Jacob Andre on the south part of the east half of the northwest quarter of section fifteen (15), Portage township.  the plat, consisting of 72 lots, was acknowledged before W. L. Henderson, a justice of the peace, March 18, 1837, and recorded May 10, 1837, by Wilson Vance, recorder.  This plat was vacated October 9, 1839, by order of court.
     Note - Franford, Olney, Ridgeville, West Union, Freedom and Jamestown have long ago ceased to exist.
LOUISVILLE was laid out by Wm. H. Powell, David Millham and Michael Shearer, on the northwest corner of the east half of the northeast quarter and the northeast corner of the west half of the northeast quarter of section fourteen (14), and the southeast corner of the west half of the southeast quarter of section eleven (11), Blanchard township.  the plat, consisting of 40 lots, was acknowledged April 11, 1851, and recorded April 21, 1851, by Paul Sours, recorder.  The plat was vacated February 16, 1880.
MARTINSTOWN was laid out by Martin Hollabaugh on the southeast corner of section thirty-six (36), and the southwest corner of section thirty-one (31), Jackson township.  The plat, consisting of 48 lots, was acknowledged September 30, 1836, by W. L. Henderson, justice of the peace, and recorded October 19, 1836, by Wilson Vance, recorder.
MT. BLANCHARD was laid out by Asa M. Lake on the west half of the northwest quarter of section two (2) Delaware township.  The plat, consisting of 53 lots, was acknowledged October 22, 1830, before Joshua Hedges, justice of the peace, and recorded October 28, 1830, by Wilson Vance, recorder.  Incorporated December 4, 1865.
MT. CORY was laid out by Matthias Marklely and Samuel Kemerer on the southwest part of the west half of the southwest quarter of section twenty-two (22), and the northwest part of the west half of the northwest quarter of section twenty-seven (27) Union township.  The plat, consisting of 32 lots, was acknowledged November 8, 1872, before George F. Pendleton, notary public, and recorded November 22, 1872, by Paul Kemerer, recorder.  Incorporated, May 10, 1887.
NORTH LIBERTY was laid out by Jacob F. Houck on the northwest part of the west half of the northwest quarter of section twenty-seven (27) Jackson township.  The plat, consisting of 15 lots, was acknowledged before Paul Sours, justice of the peace, April 20, 1853, and recorded by Paul Sours, recorder, May 7, 1853.  North Liberty has never been incorporated.
NORTH RIDGEVILLE, was laid out by Thomas Pickins on the east part of the northwest quarter, and the west part of the northeast quarter of section eighteen (18) Pleasant township.  The plat, consisting of 24 lots, was acknowledged, May 29, 1850, before B. Todd, justice of the peace, and recorded on the same date by P. Sours, recorder.  The plat was vacated, February 16, 1880.
OLNEY was laid out by Isaac Fairchild on the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter, and the west half of the southwest quarter of section fifteen (15), Pleasant township.  The plat, consisting of 40 lots, was acknowledged before W. L. Henderson, a justice of the peace April 21, 1837, and recorded April 25, 1837, by Wilson Vance, recorder.
PLEASANTVILLE was laid out by Benjamin Todd on the northeast part of the west half of the northeast quarter of section twenty-six (26) Pleasant township.  The plat, consisting of 18 lots, was acknowledged August 18, 1847, before Price Blackford, justice of the peace, and recorded September 4, 1847, by John Adams, recorder.  The town was incorporated May 19, 1858, as McComb.
RAWSON was laid out by Fred Keller and George J. Kelley on the northwest corner of the southwest quarter of section fourteen (14), Union township.  The plat, consisting of 55 lots, was acknowledged February 2, 1855, before W. L. Henderson, a notary public, and recorded February 8, 1855, by I. J. Baldwin, recorder.  Incorporated August 6, 1894.
RIDGEVILLE was laid out by Lemuel Roberts on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section two (2), Amanda township.  The plat, consisting of 24 lots, was acknowledged before W. L. Henderson, a justice of the peace, October 25, 18336, and recorded November 15, 1836, by Wilson Vance, recorder.
SHAWTOWN was laid out by E. T. Cummins on the northeast part of the northwest quarter, and the north part of the west half of the northeast quarter of section thirty, Pleasant township.  The plat, embracing 74 inlots and 20 outlots, was acknowledged June 16, 1882, before Henry Brown, a notary public, and recorded October 16, 1882, by J. F. Gutzwiler, recorder.
SILVERWOOD was laid out by Addison J. and Nancy A. Silverwood and Anthony Huntington on the southwest part of the east half of the southeast quarter of section twenty-four (24), and the northeast part of the east half of the northeast quarter of section twenty-five (25).  The plat, embracing 58 lots, was acknowledged March 27, 1883, before Edwin Phifer, surveyor, and recorded April 9, 1883, by J. F. Gutzwiler, recorder.
VAN BUREN was laid out by George Ensminger and John Trout on the southeast corner of section thirteen (13), and the northwest corner of section eighteen (18), Allen township.  The plat, embracing 58 lots, was acknowledged before Wm. L. Henderson, justice of the peace, December 28, 1833. and recorded January 14, 1834, by Wilson Vance recorder.  Incorporated March 5, 1866.
VANLUE was laid out by Wm. Vanlue on the northwest part of the northeast quarter, and the northeast part of the northwest quarter of section nine (9), Amanda township.  The plat, embracing 44 lots, was acknowledged May 15, 1847, before Joseph Twining, justice of he peace, and recorded June 7, 1847 by John Adams, recorder.  Incorporated May 1, 1866.
WEST UNION was laid out by Anson Sheller on the southeast corner of section thirty-six (36), Van Buren township.  The plat, consisting of 48 lots, was acknowledged before W. L. Henderson, justice of the peace, December 25, 1834, and January 6, 1835, by W. Vance, recorder.
WILLIAMSTOWN was laid out by John W. Williams on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section thirty-one (31), and the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of section thirty-six (36), in Madison township.  The plat, embracing 48 lots, was acknowledged before Wm. L. Henderson, justice of the peace, April 23, 1834, and recorded May 12, 1834, by William Vance, recorder.

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
HANCOCK COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS


FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights