BOUNDARIES - NATURAL FEATURES - ORGANIZATION - EARLY
POPULATION - RAILROADS - VILLAGE AND HAMLET HISTORY
This was among the later civil
sub-divisions of Harrison County and was not made a separate
township until after 1832.. The records are silent as to its
It is situated south of
the Carroll County line, west of Jefferson County, north of Green
Township in this county, and east of Rumley and Archer townships.
It is five miles from north to south and the same from east to west
or twenty-five sections of land. Owing to the "correction
line" running through the county this township is cut in two parts
by it - the two lower tier sections being to the south of this line
of survey. The streams are numerous but quite small.
While the land is uneven and cut up by hills and ravines, yet there
are hundreds of people farming and stock raising within the limits
of the township. Here one finds a happy and contented people.
The mining interest has of late years come to be quite profitable
here, as in other portions of the county.
Since Dec. 6, 1824, the
boundaries of this township have been about the same as they stand
today. During the passing years the citizens have sought to be
law-abiding and support schools, churches and other societies for
the upbuilding and betterment of the whole county. General
chapters of this work will give an account of many things connected
with the history of this township. the educational chapter and
church chapter treats on those topics and they can be found by
consulting the index.
The actual figures for the population of this
township in 1920 are 1,074; the earlier reports say in 1910, the
township had 1,107; in 1900 it was 1203; in 1890 it was 1,254.
Before 1814 the settlers in German Township were
George Abel, from Loudoun
George Shultz, 1810,
from Loudoun County, Virginia;
Jacob Beckley, 1812;
Robert Birney, 1807, from Chester County, Pennsylvania;
Stephen Ford, 1807;
Joseph Sprott, 1806,
from Fayette County, Pennsylvania;
William Gallaher, 1809, from Fayette County, Pennsylvania;
James Hazlett, 1812, from Fayette County, Pennsylvania;
Nicholas Gutshall, 1806, from Washington County, Pennsylvania;
James Hanna, 1810, from Washington County, Pennsylvania;
James B. Magrew, 1806, from Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Peter Markley, 1811, from Washington County, Pennsylvania
George Atkinson, 1804, from Brook County, West Virginia;
David Gibson, 1809, from Brooke County, West Virgnia;
William Wallace, 1809, from Brook County, West Virginia;
George Hartford, 1809, from Brooke County, West Virginia;
Robert Kelly, 1811, from Brook County, West Virginia;
William Kelly, 1812, from Brook County, West Virginia;
Henry Heisler, 1806, from Northumberland County, Pennsylvania;
Peter Hesser, 1807;
Nathan Johnson, 1812;
Jacob Kail, before 1806, from Pennsylvania;
John Kail, before 1810, from Pennsylvania;
James Kelly, 1809;
David Miller, 1812;
William Nichols, 1813;
1805, from Cumberland County, Pennsylvania;
Fred Reed, 1807;
John Riddle, 1812, from
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania;
Jacob Smyer, 1810;
Jacob Stees, 1812;
Matthias Stohl, 1806;
Benjamin Wheeler, 1806, from Baltimore County, Maryland;
Nicholas Wheeler, before 1810, from Maryland;
John Winnance, 1812.
This township is well supplied with railway
trackage, having the Lake Erie & Western and the Pennsylvania lines,
the latter through the southern portion of its territory while the
northeastern part is traversed by the Lake Erie & Western. At
Cadiz Junction the Cadiz branch of the Pennsylvania line extends to
Cadiz, the county seat, the lines all touching German township at
some one or more points. The stations in the township are
Germano, Carman, Cadiz Junction.
VILLAGES OF THE TOWNSHIP.
Cadiz Junction, quite a railway
center, has less than 150 inhabitants. It was platted a short
distance west of the present depot many years ago. At this
date there are a few small stores and shops and a restaurant at this
junction point. These with the railway interests make up the
sum total of Cadiz Junction. The postoffice here is known as
The village of Carman
is situated in teh southeastern part of the township, on the
Pennsylvania railroad. It has less than 100 population.
Germano village in the northwestern part of German
township. The station point on the railroad near by is called
Apex. It has a population of about 300, with
the ordinary stores and shops of a place of its size. This
place is the same, in reality as Jefferson or New Jefferson, the
inland place is now styled Germano and the railway station is Apex.
Germano is situated in section 26.
BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL INTERESTS - 1920
Auto Garage - E. B. Tedrow.
Barber Shop - C. C. Lowmiller.
Dealer - A. B. Roberts.
- Dry Goods, Groceries and Hardware - B. C. Scott, C. L. Adrian.
Shoe Repairs - George Clowman and Andrew Kuhn.
Dentist - William Spence.
of the village are the Methodist Epoiscopal, Reform and Lutheran,
all of which will be treated in the general chapter on the Churches
fo Harrison County.
There is a township
high school here - see Educational Chapter.