A Part of Genealogy Express

Welcome to
History & Genealogy


History of Henry & Fulton Counties
edited by Lewis Cass Aldrich - Syracuse NY - Publ. D. Mason & Co.


Chapter XXVI.
pg. 264

     OF the early organization of this township it appears that no written records are preserved, but in common with many other of the county's civil divisions, the early records have been neglected and allowed to become destroyed or lost.
     The township occupies a position in the extreme southwestern part of the county and its territory was formerly embraced within Flat Rock.  The earliest settlers in this locality were George A. Hofricker, Henry Saur, Frederick Loesch, George Dirr, Andrew Gardner and Peter Grimm, who were here in the year 1836.  They following year, 1837, there were others, some of whom can be recalled.  They were John P. Hornung, George A. Young, Adam Minsell, John Friberger and Paul Renolet.  From this time down to 1844 there was Casper Mangas and his sons Peter, Jacob and Henry; Paul Eding

[pg. 265]
and his sons Gerhart (Jared) and "Harmon; Theobod Bolley, George and Daniel Wolfe, John Bates, John Helrich, Stephen Byal, John Wilhelm, Daniel Desgranges, Frederick Martz, James Shasteen (the first justice of the peace).  Henry Schall and John Diemer, all heads of families, with exception of the sons of Magas and Eding.  About 1840 Mr. Easterbrook, an Englishman, taught the first school in the settlement and continued three or four winter terms of three months each.  While thus engaged he wrote a pamphlet biography of his life,  styling himself David Crocket second.  Among other things it contained reminiscences of his teaching among the "benighted beings," as he styled them of the wilds of Henry county.  James E. Scofield, the writer hereof, followed him as teacher of the same school in 1844-5, two winter terms, of three months each, and remembers many of the inhabitants of that time, together with many of his pupils, including his wife, then a school girl ten years his junior.  Here may be given the names of the younger heads of families, some of whom have married daughters of the first settlers: John Hofrieter, Joseph Schneider (a shoemaker), Henry Dirr, George Dirr, John Bawman, Charles Kesselmeyer (a wagon maker), and perhaps other names not remembered.  The following are names of remembered pupils, now old men and women, having well improved farms and families of grown up children, some of whom are settled for themselves on farms and others in villages and cities, in business; George N. Wolf, Harmon Eding, Henry Grimm, Peter Grimm (deceased, William Saur, John Loesch, Henry Loesch, Meni Loesch, Adam Loesch (deceased, Andrew Loesch, Margaret Saur, Caroline Wolf, Elizabeth Wolf, Daniel Wolf, Phillip Dorider, John M. Young, Elizabeth Grimm (deceased), Henry Bates (deceased), Paul Heisch and others perhaps whose names are not remembered, children then between the ages of four and twenty years, and attending school.
     It is supposed this township was detached from Flat Rock in the year 1843.  It was then a howling wilderness of water, frogs, wolves, bear, deer, turkeys, coon and other animals of various kinds, all of which have no disappeared, and this vast wilderness, by the energy of its inhabitants, made to blossom like the rose.  The records of Flat Rock township show names of heads of families residing in town three, north of range six, east, now Pleasant township, then attached to Flat Rock.  Their children, that is, of the families, enumerated for the public schools in the year 1838, were as follows:  Joseph Waddel, 1 male; Casper Mangas, 4 males; Peter Hornung, 1 male and 1 female; Peter Hornung, jr., 1 female: - March, 4 males; G. A. Hofrickter, 2 males, 1 female; George Dirr, 1 female; Peter Grimm, 2 males, 1 female; Andrew Gardner, 2 males, 5 females; John Friberger, 1 male, 4 females; David Dorider, 2 males, 2 females; John Bates, 2 males, 1 female - Helrich, 1 male, 1 female; in all 22 males and 19 females; total 41 children between the ages of four and twenty years.
     In the four original surveyed townships, three and four north of ranges six

[pg. 266]
and seven, Flat Rock, Pleasant, Marion and Monroe, all these included in Flat Rock, contained 56 male and 51 female school children; total 107.  None of these children were then enumerated in three and four, north of range 7 east, now Marion and Monroe.  After the detachment of Pleasant and Marion form Flat Rock, Marion remained in Pleasant for a time (from recollection of the oldest inhabitants).  It is known that James Shasteen was the first justice of the peace and officiated as such in 1844.  Who were the first trustees and clerk is not certainly known, but it is supposed that Henry Schall was first clerk, and continued for several terms.  A few years later Charles Hornung was clerk, and also justice of the peace for thirty-nine years in succession.  It is also supposed that Theobold Bolley was first treasurer.  The writer well remembers that he was treasurer in 1844-5, from the fact of drawing his wages as school teacher from him.
     The village of New Bavaria was known by that name from the name of a  post-office situated on the Ridge road as early as 1844-5.  Charles Hornung was postmaster, who has been continued since, with the exception of one year (1860), when he acted with the Republicans in the Lincoln and Hamlin campaign of that year, for which he was beheaded, and Henry Schall appointed to fill the vacancy.  Immediately after Mr. Lincoln's inauguration Mr. Hornung was reinstated and has been continued since.
     New Bavaria was surveyed and platted in the year 1882, a short distance west of the old post-office site, at the crossing of the Ridge road and the Toledo, St. Louis and Kansas City Railroad, and estimated to contain about one hundred inhabitants.  This railroad gives it an outlet for the products of an excellent farming country surrounding it.  Messrs. Charles Hornung & Sons, for a number of years have been engaged in merchandising, together with farming and stock raising.  Recently Charles Hornung has retired form the mercantile business, leaving that branch with his sons, Jacob and John H., but attends to his farm and stock, of which he has a find herd.  Jacob Hornung is also engaged in extensive manufacturing, using seam power.  He manufactures heading, hoops, lumber and staves, for which he finds a ready market.  The firm of the store have a warehouse connection, and buy all kinds of produce.  This makes a home market for the products of the farms in the vicinity.  J. Hammerer is engaged in the manufacture and repair of boots and shoes.  About two miles south, on the same railroad, is located Pleasant Bend, a station established at or about 1879, at the time of the completion of said railroad, with a post office of that name.  Jacob J. Fraker is the postmaster.  The village was surveyed and platted in 1882.  It is estimated to contain about one hundred inhabitants.  Jacob J. Fraker, in connection with the post-office, is dealer in general merchandise and grain, also all kinds of country produce.  Being only a short distance from New Bavaria, the trade, from necessity, is divided, both places doing a thriving business, and each having the trade of an

[pg. 267a]


[pg. 267]
excellent farming community.  J. W. Jones & Co., general merchandisers, together with factory (steam power), manufacture lumber, hoop, and heading.  The village contains two saw-mills, owned by Philip Burrel and William Martz, both doing a thriving business, and will, no doubt, so long as the timber lasts.  There are no churches in either of these villages, but in the vicinity near, erected before their existence.  The German Methodist, a fine, roomy frame building, situated a short distance north of Pleasant Bend and northwest of New Bavaria, near to both places, and well attended.  The German Reformed, a larger, more expensive and commodious brick building, is located on the Ridge wagon road, but one mile west of New Bavaria.  It is accessible from both villages and vicinity.  It has a large membership and is well attended.  It has mounted in its belfry a large, expensive bell of modern manufacture.
     Nicholas Laubenthal, the present clerk of the township, lives about two miles east from New Bavaria, along the Ridge wagon road.  He is engaged in merchandising and the sale of agricultural machinery and wagons; also, he is engaged in farming and saw-milling, - the latter when water is plenty, which is not in good supply only part of the year.  A little farther east of him is now being erected a Catholic church edifice, of brick, at an estimated cost of twenty-four thousand dollars.  This building is to replace the old one destroyed by fire some time ago.  The society have a large membership, many of whom come form a long distance.
     Peter Mangus, one of the foremost farmers and stock dealers of the township, commenced business for himself about the year 1844; then a poor young man without any capital except his hands and energy.  Now he has one of the finest of farms, of about one hundred and eighty acres, with good buildings and all necessary implements for modern farming; besides this he has other wild lands.  In about 1851-2 he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Jackman.  They have raised a large family of boys, who have left the parental roof, except the three younger ones, whose ages range from fourteen to eighteen years, and are yet under the care of kind and indulgent parents.  The same may be said of Henry Dirr and family.  These gentlemen and the writer were much together in the early days of settlement of this township.  Much might be said of many of later date.
     Pleasant township is traversed from northwest to southeast by a beautiful ridge, which enters on the west line of section seven, one and a half miles south of the northwest corner; thence passing through the central part through sections seven to seventeen, part of sixteen, through twenty-one and twenty-two, and corners of twenty-three and twenty-seven, through twenty-six and twenty-five, where it passes out some distance north of southeast corner into Marion township.  At a very early time there was a wagon road survey along this ridge for ingress and egress, which extended from Defiance and Independence, the latter a small village four miles east of Defiance, - to Maderia, in Putnam

[pg. 268]
county, where was erected a steam flouring-mill.  Maderia, like Independence, is among the things of the past.  Settlement was first made along the ridge.  From this ridge and land immediately descends into lowlands on either side, which is of very rich soil.  The ridge was crossed in many places by swales and rivulets which are now made into artificial creeks, thereby making an excellent drainage outlet, thus rendering available an immense quantity of as good farming land as is in this or any other State.  Along this road the very first settlements were made, as the vicinity afforded very passable roads.  The land had also dry places enough for immediate farming, as fast as the woods land had also dry places enough for immediate farming, as fast as the woods could be cleared away, thereby giving the settler an early crop.


     This village is situated in the northeast portion of the township, the corporation line being on the township line between the townships of Pleasant and Flat Rock, in sections one and two, at the junction of the Baltimore and Ohio, and Toledo, St. Louis and Kansas City Railroads, and crossed by the Napoleon and Kalida Pike, a wagon road much used for many years before Holgate was known.  The village having six directions for ingress and egress, - four by rail and two wagon roads, makes it a desirable place for business.  It contains about thirteen hundred inhabitants, including about three hundred school youth between the ages of six and twenty-one years, within the school limits, which includes something more than the corporate limits of Holgate.  It has also a large and commodious school-house, brick structure, which is presided over by Professor William E. Decker (editor of the Holgate Times), as principal, together with his assistant, Miss Tillie Eager.  This school has a large attendance.
     Andrew J. Weaver commenced general merchandising here in the autumn of 1873, at the time of completion of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and layout and platting the place.  He has recently retired from business on account of failing health, and is now erecting a fine residence.  The present business houses are those of E. W. Poe & Co., general merchandising; Daniel Fribley, general groceries, flour and feed; Valentine, Kimmick and Frederick Spicer, boots and shoes, connected with making and repairing; B. W. Justice and Ed Swartout, barbers and hair dressers; Isaac Sadesky, general clothing; - Roller, tin and hardware; Newton S. Cole, General hardware, including stoves, farming utensils a wagon, buggies and general farming machinery of all kinds.  He commenced there in the spring of 8174, and is now erecting a large and commodious building of brick, for the accommodation of his extensive and increasing business.  Henry H. Fast, general hardware, farming utensils, machinery, etc.  He has only been in the business about four years, but has recently erected a fine residence.  L. Gillet, general merchandise; Henry Voigt, meat market; F. H. Voigt, general druggist and pharmacist.  In con-

[pg. 269]
nection with his drugs he keeps clocks, watches and jewelry.  L. M. Turney, general druggist and pharacist;  William S. Schuyler, general merchandise in two separate buildings; Joseph Voigt, furniture and undertaking; physicians, Dr. J. Townsend, J. C. Becker, J. B. Archer, and James M. Stout; Brayer Brothers, manufacturers of staves and heading; Shelly Brothers, manufacture staves and hoops;  Jacob Laubenthal, saw and planning mill, and sash the door factory:  Gates, saw-mill, sawing only sycamore for tobacco boxes;  G. W. Walker, general saw mill; E. L. Hartman, flouring mill; William Kaufman, postmaster and proprietor of the Kaufmanville portion of the city, originally known as an ashery.  In connection with his business as postmaster he manufactures black salts.   F. Buchenburg, merchant tailor and ready made clothing; Jesse Ware blacksmith; Harman Binger, blacksmith; Mrs. Harris, milliner; Mrs. Mangas, milliner;  Christ Brickle and Hartwick, wagon-makers and blacksmithing; J. M. McEwing, groceries;  H. D. Tripp, bakery and canned goods; Frank Edwards, groceries; William Edwards, dentist; E. E. Nothstine, Photographer.  The present officers of the corporation are as follows:  Dr. James M. Stout, mayor,; Ed. Swartout, marshal; B. T. Burrin, William Ritz, Henry Bortz, Valentine Kimmick, Henry Meyer and Jacob Laubenthal, councilman; William E. Decker, clerk.  The latter person, William E. Decker, is editor of the Holgate Times, published weekly.
     The village has five livery stables and seven saloons; E. Minsor is a paperhanger and painter.  There are two hotels, the Holgate House, L. Heacock, proprietor, and the Forest House, S. Margrat, proprietor; other business interests are, E. B. Linde, dealer in organs and pianos; G. Zachreck, carpenter, building and general contractor; William Retz, Chrisitan Stauber and Phillip Fahrer, general carpenters and builders; Lot Barter and Izadon Hurr, masons and plasterers.
     Hogate was surveyed and platted in the year 1873.  The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was completed in the same year.  The Toledo, St. Louis and Kansas City Railroad, built as a narrow gauge in 1880, but changed to standard in 1887.  George W. Edwards, proprietor of one of the liveries with his father (now deceased) settled near the vicinity about 1836, and has resided here ever since.  The father was known as "Edwards, the bear hunter of Henry county."  Mrs. Edwards is a daughter of Michael Hill (deceased), a settler of about the same time, and who opened up a farm on the banks of Turkey Foot Creek, northeast of Holgate.  The writer well remembers these families as they obtained their mail as late as 1846 at Florida, he being a clerk in the post-office and store of that village at that time, and later was postmaster and proprietor of a store; he also surveyed the road along Turkey Foot Creek, through this settlement.
     The progress of opening up this wilderness was, of necessity, slow and tedious, taking many years.  After Napoleon, the beautiful county-seat, loomed

[pg. 270]
up to pretentious proportions, equal to or in excess of Florida, this settlement, with its increasing numbers, used Napoleon for mail and other supplies, therefore, the acquaintance became limited, and finally ceased almost entirely.  The first settlers of Pleasant township in 1836, were of foreign birth, mostly from Bavaria, Germany, and some from Baden, and later from France.  From these parents the present population.  American born are descendants, and are in active business, although many of the parents are yet living.  Since the early settlement many relatives and their acquaintances have immigrated here, and settled the vacant lands in this and adjoining townships.  They show much energy, and are law-abiding, industrious citizens of which any township or county may feel proud.  They speak the English language equal with any other American citizen, but retain their own, which is handed down to their offspring.  Their native tongue is taught in their churches and Sunday-schools, and they are also taught to read and write their own language, which is invariable in religious worship of all denominations.




CLICK HERE to Return to
CLICK HERE to Return to
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights