* * * *
"True indeed it is
That they whom death has hidden fro our sight
Are worthiest of the mind's regard."
Sleep sweetly, tender heart, in peace
Sleep, holy spirit, blessed soul."
laborer's task is o'er;
Now the battle day is past;
Now upon the farther
Lands the voyager at last.
Father, in thy
Leave we now Thy servant
JOHN QUICY ADAMS, who answered the final summons on Aug. 2,
1919, at his home in Norwalk, in his 77th year, was born in Radmore
township, Jefferson county, N. Y., May 29, 1843. His father,
Judge George Q. Adams, moved soon after that date to the
Firelands, settling in Plymouth, but went in 1860, to Norwalk,
having been elected Probate Judge of Huron county. The young
man acted for a time as clerk in his father's court, but the civil
war coming on he heard his country's call and enlisted in the army.
Col. Adams entered the volunteer service before he
was 19 years old and served from May, 1862 to August, 1865.
The last two years he was a lieutenant in the signal corps. He
served in the western army under Gen. Sherman, and
participated in the Atlanta campaign, the march to the sea, the
campaign through the Carolinas, and was in the " grand review" at
Washington at the end of the war. At the battle of Altoona,
Ga., Oct. 5, 1864, Lieut. Adams was the signal officer
in charge of the station under Gen. Corse, and
received the signal message from Gen. Sher-
[Page 2423] -
man on Kenesaw mountain, which brought reinforcements and also
the famous message which afterwards inspired the popular gospel
hymn, "Hold the Fort, for I am Coming."
In August, 1867, he was appointed 2d Lieutenant in the
1st U. S. cavalry, and he served in the regiment until his
retirement in 1896, over 29 years. During that time he was at
almost every station on the western frontier, and had his full share
of hardship, Indian fighting and discomforts.
In the Pioneer, N .S., Vol. XX, pp. 2097-98, is related
a most thrilling experience in Indian warfare through which Col.
Adams and his wife passed.
In 1873 he participated in the Modoc Indian war, which
aroused the country by the atrocious murder of Gen. Canby
and other members of the Peace Commission. In 1877 he took
part in the Nez Perces war, which lasted six months and ended in
Chief Joseph's capture a thousand miles from where the
war began. In 1890-91 he was engaged in the winter campaign in
South Dakota against the Sioux. Col. Adams
retired from active field service Nov. 6th, 1896, aiming to spend
his remaining years in the comfortable home he had erected on
Benedict avenue. But he was still active and energetic and
soon accepted an appointment by the War Department as Professor of
Military Science and Tactics at Culver Military Academy, Culver,
Ind., which position he held until shortly before his death, with
the exception of a few years when he served as Treasurer of the
National Soldiers Home at Marion, Ind.
On Dec. 17, 1867, he was united in marriage to Miss
Mary Wildman, daughter of the late Capt.
Frederick Wildman. Mrs. Adams died on Apr.
12, 1917. Three children were born to Col. and
Mrs. Adams, a son, Harry, who died at the age
of six, and two daughters, Mrs. Marietta Markley
and Mrs. Charlotte A. Taylor, who, with two of the Colonel's
grandchildren, Edward A. Markley and Dorothy A. Taylor,
constituted his household at the time of his death. Another
grandson, Lt. David A. Taylor, of the regular army, was then
serving in France. Three sisters also survived him.
Mrs. Jeanette Wickham of Washington, D. C, Mrs.
Frances Breckenridge and Mrs. Susan
Wickham of Norwalk.
Early in life he identified himself with the
Presbyterian church of which he remained a faithful and generous
supporter. During his later years he was a popular member of
the Elks Lodge, No. 730. Funeral services were held from the
home with military honors accorded by a detachment from Culver
ALLEY, died Monday, Sept. 22, 1919, at the age of 91 years and 6
months, at Memorial Hospital, after a brief illness. He was
born Mar. 29, 1828, in Moravia, Cayuga Co., New York, and came to
the Firelands in 1844, at the age of sixteen years. For many
years he followed the livery and live stock buying business in
Norwalk, but some thirty years or more before his death he
established himself in a mercantile business on the Whittlesey
avenue premises where he lived, which he followed faithfully up to
within a few days of his fatal illness. On Dec. 11, 1849, he
married Prudy Ann Manahan, who came to Norwalk with her
parents, William and Peggy Manahan, in 1835. His wife
died May 2, 1909, but he was survived by two daughters, Mrs. Mary
Simonds and Mrs. Sarah J. Ernst, both of Norwalk.
Mr. Alley came to Norwalk at a time when many of the original
settlers were still alive, and his business kept him in touch with
the progress of the town as new settlers came in and the small
village grew to a prosperous city; being a pleasant and
companionable man and possessing a retentive memory, he made
acquaintance with everybody and remembered events of local history
from the beginning of the town, which it was his delight to relate
in the later years of his life. The funeral was conducted by
Rev. E. E. Wilson, and the burial was in Woodlawn.
MRS. SELINA LOUIS (ROE)
ATHERTON, only child of Charles and Corinna Roe, was born
in Peru, O., Sept. 3, 1837, and passed away at her home Dec. 15,
1919, aged 82 years, 3 months and 12 days. She married
George Watson Atherton, Dec. 18, 1862, who died June 14,
1913. She was survived by one son, C. G. Atherton.
She early united with the Baptist church and was a life long and
[Page 2425] -
Funeral services were held at her home in Peru, conducted by her
pastor, Rev. H. A. Vernon, assisted by Re. L. M. Kumler.
MRS. ALMYRA DIANTHA (HILL) BAILEY,
the youngest of the. four children of Leonard and Diantha (Swartwood)
Hill, was born in Florence township, Nov. 1, 1855, and passed
away in Memorial Hospital, Norwalk, Dec. 4, 1919, aged 64 years.
She was married July 2, 1887, to Randall L. Bailey, one of
the most prominent and wealthy men of Berlin Heights, who died Oct.
30, 1904. She was survived by one brother, Harlow Hill,
of Florence. She was very active in the Red Cross, the W. C.
T. U., the Congregational church and other societies. The
funeral was conducted by Rev. J. W. Cady, of the
Congregational church, with interment in Riverside cemetery, Berlin
A. D BARBER,
a veteran of the Civil war, died at the home of his son,
A. D. Barber, Jr., East Norwalk, Aug. 17, 1919, at the age of
77. He was a life long resident of Huron county and enlisted
in 1861 in company I, 55th O. V. V. I. Some years after the
war, at a 4th of July celebration, he was made totally blind by an
explosion. In spite of this he learned to make his way
fearlessly to any part of Norwalk without guidance. He joined
the Salvation Army, who with the G. A. R. conducted the funeral
DANIEL GILBERT BARKER, was born in Temple, New Hampshire, Mar.
17, 1803. He was the son of Ephraim Foster Barker and
his wife, Plannah Morse, and the grandson of David
Barker of Methuen, Mass., a soldier of the American Revolution.
In his young boyhood the family removed to Cayuga county, New York,
where they remained until 1818. At this time, attracted by the
widely advertised sale of Connecticut Firelands in Ohio, his father
purchased Lot 29 in Section 3 on the north line of Greenwich
township, Huron county, Ohio. In February, 1818, when not
quite fifteen years of age, he accompanied his father from Scipio to
take possession of this wilderness property, his sister, Alzina,
eighteen years of age coming with them to Ohio. The journey
was made by sleigh and they reached their destination in March.
A rude cabin was hastily erected and then the father
returned to New York state leaving the two children to occupy and
improve the lonely home.
But one other family lived in Greenwich township, that
of Henry Carpenter who with his wife and four children were
on Lot 22, Section 2, at least two miles east of the Barker cabin
through the trackless woods. Fitchville township boasted
GEN. DANIEL GILBERT BARKER
three homes near its eastern line, all several miles from the
Barer's log house. Fairfield had four families, but all in
the northwest section of the township, many miles away. No one
lived in either Ripley or Ruggles township. Nevertheless the
two children occupied the land cheerfully and industriously until
their father returned the following fall bringing their
[Page 2427] -
mother and the six younger brothers and sisters, and, in after
years when the story of their coming to Ohio was told, never
appeared to regard their experience as other than the reasonable
service owed by children to their parents and family.
In May, 1825, Daniel, now grown to manhood,
joined with Michael Artman, a young man of the
community and bought Lot. 9, Section 2, in Ripley township of
Thaddeus B. Sturges an original grantee of the land.
Settlers were just beginning to come into Ripley
township and the east and west center road was the only road open to
travel; Harrison's trail, being by that time completely
over-grown with brush and small timber.
When, a few months later the young men divided their
holding, it was supposed that the road north of the center road
would be laid out about forty rods north of the location of the
present road and they divided the land accordingly, Mr. Barker
taking the north and Mr. Artman the south side.
This made the front of the Barker farm run close to a
promising spring of water which has proved itself to be deserving of
a paragraph of its own.
Through the ninety-five years of its known history, it
has never failed to yield a copious stream of the clearest and
purest water through the severest and longest droughts and through
the coldest winters. In the hottest weather of our Ohio summers the
water as it flows from the spring maintains a steady temperature of
47 degrees Fahr.
When the road was laid out, Mr. Barker
purchased twenty acres additional from the southeast corner of Lot 9
that he might have adequate frontage on the highway, and built a
comfortable log house where, since that time, the homestead has been
In the fall of 1829 he visited New York state where he
was married Sept. 18th to Miss Eliza Baker, of
Plainfield, Otsego Co., N. Y.
A few days later, Sept. 22nd, they began their long
journey to the home he had made ready for his bride in Ohio,
traveling by canal to Erie, and by sailing vessel and steamboat from
that city to "Portland in Sandusky," as Sandusky City was then
[Page 2428] -
The farm in Ripley remained their home
as long as they lived, and is still in possession of the family,
their grandson, Frank Daniel Donaldson, owning
and residing upon it since the death of his grandfather.
Here their four children were born, Uri Ward;
Lura Permelia; Charles Rathbun; and
Amos Thomas, now all deceased.
Uri Ward married Rachel Fowler,
by whom he had three children, Cora Eliza (Mrs.
Frank Miller); Willis Eugene; Luetta
(Mrs. Judd I. Patterson).
Lura Permelia, married John H. Donaldson,
and became the mother of five children, Clara Rosella;
Joseph Dwight; Frank Daniel; May
Eliza (Mrs. A. S. McKitrick); and Grace Alberta
(Mrs. A. C. Matthews), deceased.
Charles Rathbun married, first, Nettie Thomas,
by whom he had two children, Lulu (Mrs. Moseley) and
Irving. He married, second, Mrs. Amelia Murray, by
whom he had one child, Lena.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Barker entered heartily into
the civic life of the pioneer community and became able leaders of
all efforts for the best interests of the county.
The organization of both the first Methodist church and
the first Baptist church in Ripley township were perfected in their
cabin in 1835, the one in the forenoon and the other in the
afternoon of the same day, although they were adherents of neither
church. She was a member of a church "back east" and he was
converted the next year in the great revival held in the log
schoolhouse on the center road, and united with the Christian
church. This organization continued but a few years in Ripley
but he remained loyal to that communion and was a devout Christian
until the end of his life.
The first schoolhouse in Ripley township was erected
mainly through his efforts and was located not far from his home.
Fowler was the first teacher in this the first schoolhouse.
Mr. Barker was also prominent in the
military affairs of the county in its early days. He served as
Colonel of the 1st Regiment, 2nd Brigade, 11th Division of the Ohio
[Page 2429] -
ing the famous Boundary War between Ohio and Michigan, caused by
the claim of Michigan to lands including the mouth of the Maumee
river. During this controversy relations between the two
states became so strained that Gov. Lucas led 500 Ohio
troops to the Maumee, where they were confronted by the Michigan
troops under Gov. Mason, and serious bloodshed was
only averted by the arrival of Commissioners sent by, President
Jackson. (Congress decided in favor of the claim of
Ohio June 30, 1836.)
It is related that during this period of stress, cannon
were conveyed secretly by night to the farm of Col. Barker
and concealed under hay in one of his barns. The following day
these strange objects were discovered by Uri, the five year
old son, who was with much difficulty prevented from an- nouncing
his remarkable find to his mother in the presence of a number of
guests who were not to be permitted to share in the military secrets
of the hour.
Aug. 1st, 1836, soon after the happy culmination of the
threatened rupture between Ohio and Michigan, Col. Barker
was promoted and received his commission as Brigadier General.
This time yellowed commission is carefully preserved in
the home of his grandson, F. D. Donaldson, who was mentioned
above as owning and living on the Barker farm. A
description of the General 's uniform may be of interest: "A dark
blue single breasted coat, with one row of ten gilt bullet buttons,
and with buttonholes worked with blue twist in front, extending at
the top to the seam of the sleeve, and not more than three inches
long at the bottom.
Standing collar, to be united in front to the edge of
the breast of the coat, not to rise higher than the tip of the ear,
and always as high in front as the chin will permit in turning the
The cuffs not less than three and one-half nor more
than four inches wide.
The skirts faced with cloth of the same color as the
coat, the bottom of each not more than five nor less than three and
one-half inches wide, the length to reach to the bend of the
[Page 2430] -
knee; the bottom of the breast and two hip buttons to range one
blind buttonhole five inches long with a button on each side of the
The blind holes of the front of the coat, with the
herring bone form to run in the same direction with the collar from
the top to the bottom; blind holes in the like form, to proceed from
four buttons placed lengthwise on each skirt.
A gilt star on the bottom of the skirt, two inches from
the lower edge.
The cuffs to be indented, within one and a half inches
of the edge, with four buttons lengthwise on each sleeve, and blind
holes to the three upper buttons, corresponding to the indentation
of the cuff, on the center of which indentation is to be inserted
the lower button.
Epaulettes, gold with one silver star.
Vest of buff, white, or blue.
Pantaloons, buff, white, or blue.
High military boots over pantaloons. Yellow spurs.
Stock of black leather or silk.
Chapeau de bras: the fan not less than six and one-half
nor more than nine inches deep, in rear, not less than fifteen nor
more than seventeen and one-half inches from point to point; the
edge bound with black binding an inch wide; loop button, and
cockade, black; the latter four and one-half inches in diameter,
with a gold eagle in the center; the eagle one and one-half inch
between the tips of the wings.”
The arms of the General were a sword and a pair of
His horse was an active well-made creature with saddle,
bridle, martingale, and holsters.
All this as prescribed by the militia law of the
In 1846 a large frame house replaced the log house as a
homestead, and this, in turn, was replaced by a frame house with all
modern conveniences, in 1912.
General Barker was a very progressive
farmer; his fields were kept up to a high standard of productivity
and his build ings always in good repair and appearance. When
a contest was held to decide what farm in Huron County was in the
[Page 2431] -
condition, the prize was awarded to the General Barker
In the 1850's he became a breeder of Devon cattle,
bringing to the county some very fine animals from Vermont and New
York, in this way aiding very materially in raising the standard of
cattle in this part of Ohio. For a number of years the
Barker herd of Devons was famous and carried off firsts at many
stock shows and county fairs.
Mrs. Barker died Sept. 3rd, 1865, but
General Barker continued to live at the farm until his
own death, Oct. 1st, 1887, having lived fifty-eight years in Ripley
township and sixty-nine in Huron county.
BARNES, was born July 3, 1810, and came to Clarksfield, Ohio,
probably, in 1836. On Jan. 1, 1837, he was married to Helen
Bissell, daughter of John Milton Bissell
of Clarksfield. He lived on a farm in Clarksfield until his
death at the age of 76, July 12, 1886. His wife, Helen B.
Barnes, died in 1897. Their children were Melissa,
Joshua, Charles and Wealthy. Melissa
Barnes was born Aug. 3, 1838, married John Haynes
in 1856, and died Feb. 2, 1886.
CHARLES D. BARNEY, died at her home in Ogontz, Pa., Mar. 12,
1919. She was the last surviving child of Jay Cooke,
and her husband was the former head of Charles D. Barney &
Co., of New York and Philadelphia. She was survived by six
daughters, Mrs. J. Horace Harding, Mrs. John, H. Whittaker,
Mrs. Frederick Hiller, Mrs. Henry M. Watts, Mrs.
Archibald B. Hubbard, and Mrs. Joseph S. Bunting.
G. BARNUM, son of Ebenezer Barnum and Betsy Nickerson,
was born in Clarksfield, O., May 10, 1828. He married
Lucinda A. Norton, of Clarksfield, May 5, 1849, and died Jan. 1,
1882. Mrs. Lucinda (Norton) Barnum was a daughter of
Zara C. Norton and Cynthia Post, and was born June 5,
1830, and died May 4, 1906.
MRS. WILLIAM BATH,
of Parkertown, Erie Co., who died at the residence of her son,
Calvin Bath, in November, 1919, at the age of 72, was
born in 1847, and had lived in Groton town ship over 50 years.
The burial was in Strong's Ridge cemetery.
[Page 2432] -
who had lived all his life in Huron county, died Nov. 10, 1919, at
his home in Steuben, Greenfield township aged 72 eyars. He
left a widow and five children, Edith, Frank, Fred, Ethel and
MRS. T. BEACH,
was born in New London township on the Stoner farm in
1835, and passed away Dec. 13, 1919, at the home of her daughter,
Mrs. Wm. Weston, in the same town at the age of 84. Her
pastor, Rev. C. H. Lemon, con ducted the funeral, assisted by
Rev. A. L. Ensley, and the burial was in the New London
PHOEBE BEDFORD, was born in England in 1835, but came to
Townsend in 1854, where she lived for 65 years, until she passed
away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Fred W. Liles, July
25, 1919, aged 84 years. Her husband was Robert
Bedford, who died in 1886. She was survived by
eleven children. She was a member of the Townsend Methodist
M. BEECHER, a Civil War veteran, was born Sept. 14, 1837, and
passed away in Sandusky at the home of his daughter, Mrs.
Chas. N. Jenkins, Jan. 21, 1919, aged 81 years, 4 months and 7
days. He enlisted early as a private in company E, 7th O. V.
I., and re-enlisted in company E, 72d O. V. I. For gallant
service he was commissioned a lieutenant in the 71st U. S. colored
infantry, serving 42 months in all. He left four sons
and four daughters. Two sons served in France in the late war.
HANNAH ELNORA BELL, was born in Ripley township, Mar. 29, 1857,
and lived in Huron county most of her life, passing away at her home
in Fitchville township, Oct. 4, 1919, at the age of 62 years and 6
months. She married Dr. C. L. V. Bell, Apr. 14, 1886,
who survived her with four sons, John C. and Donald C.
of Norwalk; Lloyd N., and Reginald W. of Fitchville.
One son, Harry R. Bell, was killed in action in France in
1918. She was a devoted member of the M. E. church in
Fitchville and her faith in her Redeemer was in tense and strong.
Rev. F. E. Baker, of Milan, conducted the funeral.
[Page 2433] -
ALMIRA A. BENHAM, of Norwalk, was born at Plymouth, O., May 6,
1831, the daughter of Robert and Mary McKelvey, and passed
away Oct. 16, 1913, aged 82 years, 5 months and 10 days. On
June 13, 1853, she was married to B. H. Benham, who died Aug.
21, 1866. She was survived by three children, Mrs.
Frederick Colson and Wm. B. Benham of Norwalk, and
George Benham, of St. Louis.
MRS. MARTHA JANE
(WHITCOMB) BENJAMIN, the youngest daughter of Hiram and
Hannah (Webb) Whitcomb, was born in Townsend township, Feb. 18,
1844, and died Feb. 18, 1917, aged exactly 73 years. In 1866
she married Thaddeus Sisson, who died in 1870. She
married (2d) Jerome Benjamin, in 1880, who died in
1891. Of late years she lived in Wakeman.
HORACE A. BENSON, was murdered by a cowardly assassin who shot
him in the back through the cellar window as he was fixing the fire
in his furnace at his residence,
135 East Main
street, Norwalk, Nov. 28, 1919. He was born in.
Norwalk in 1863, graduated from the dental department of the
University of Michigan, and had practiced in Norwalk since 1886.
He was survived by the widow and two brothers, E. B. Benson,
of Norwalk, and E. H. Benson, of Townsend township. He
was a grandson of Benjamin Benson, one of the early
pioneers of the Firelands, who settled in Clarksfield in 1818.
He was the son of Joseph M. Benson.
DENNIS BLANCHARD, who came to Florence with his parents in 1833,
died at his home in that township, Dec. 2, 1919, aged 88 years, 9
months and 6 days. He was born in New York city, Feb. 26,
1831; married Mary Haise in 1859, who died in 1869;
married, 2d, Florence Moore in 1895, who survived him.
He sailed the lakes for some years from 1847. The funeral was
at Birmingham, conducted by Rev. Mr. Richards.
BLEILE, of Monroeville, who was born Oct. 18, 1834, in Baden,
Germany, passed away after a brief illness on New Year’s day, Jan.
1, 1920, aged 85 years, 2 months and 13 days. He came to
America in 1853, and followed the cooperage trade in Monroeville
many years. The widow sur-
[Page 2434] -
vived him and five children: Mrs. J. L. Schreiner, of
Cleveland, and Anna, Elizabeth, Lena and
Carl at home. Carl Bleile was the sheriff of
Huron county 1917-19. The burial was in St. Joseph’s cemetery,
a veteran of the Civil war, born Oct. 31, 1835, in Germany, came
to America in 1853, and to East Townsend in 1856. He
lived in the Firelands 63 years, and passed away June 15, 1919, aged
83 years, 7 months and 15 days. He married Phoebe
Phillips, Dec. 9, 1858, who preceded him to the tomb in 1914.
He enlisted in Company F, 55th O. V. V. I., serving from 1861 to
1864 and participated in many battles with that fighting regiment,
in one of which he was badly wounded in the leg. Three
children survived, G. M. Bowers, of Norwalk; C. L.
Bowers, of Townsend; and Mrs. Sarah Rounds, of Toledo.
The Masons conducted the funeral and the burial was in East
A. BROWN, was the son of Albert and Emma Jane (Bloomer) Brown,
and was born in Monroeville, O., Aug. 3, 1835; he died Sept. 25,
1919, at the age of 84 years, at the home of his daughter, Mrs.
Daisy B. Smith, East Norwalk. Four sons also survived,
Clarence E. of Cleveland, Carl H., of Elyria,
Howard A. and Ralph L. of Nor walk. His wife was
Phoebe Epson, of Monroeville, who died over forty years
ago. Mr. Brown had one living brother, Harlon,
of Los Angeles, Calif., and two sisters, Mrs. L. J. Dimick
and Mrs. Mattie Breckenridge, of Norwalk.
The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Mr. Myers, of the
Milan Presbyterian church, and the burial was in the Monroeville
EMALINE (RYERSON) BROWN, was born in Peru, O., Sept. 6, 1848,
the daughter of Nicholas and Sarepta Ryerson, and passed away
Oct. 8, 1919, aged 71 years and one month. She married
Frank J. Brown, Mar. 10, 1869, who died in 1909. Her
married life was passed on the farm on Lockwood road, near Milan,
and after Mr. Brown's death she moved to Norwalk.
She was a most excellent woman, and was survived by four children,
Mrs. C. E. Bowers, Mrs. Elizabeth Breckenridge and
Frank J. Brown, Jr., of Norwalk; and Nelson G. Brown, of
[Page 2435] -
FANNY BRIGHT, who was born in Essex, N. Y., Feb. 14, 1820, died
in Wakeman in February, 1919, having reached within a few days the
very great age of 99 years. Mrs. Bright was a
remarkable woman who established a hotel at Wakeman after the Civil
war. She was prominent for years in the W. C. T. U., the W. R.
C., and other activities.
OSBORN BRUNDAGE, a retired farmer, passed away Aug. 24, 1919, at
his home in East Norwalk, leaving a widow, two sons and two
daughters. He lived in Hartland many years and was well known.
P. D. BRUSH, was born July 20, 1842, and died at his home in Berea,
June 20, 1919, aged 77 years. He was a superannuate member of
the Ohio Conference, who lived many years in Vermilion, and married
there Mary Washburn, who survived him with two sons and two
daughters. He preached in Nebraska and in Ohio. The interment was in
Maple Grove Cemetery, Vermilion.
MARTHA ANN HOTCHKIN BURCH, the wife of Nicholas Burch,
to whom she was married in 1840, was born in Waterville, Sangerfield
township, New York, in 1818, and died in Toledo, Ohio, Feb. 13,
1882. Funeral services and burial at North Fairfield, Ohio.
Her parents were Eli Hotchkin, who was born in
Connecticut, July 6th, 1782, and died in Waterville, New York, Nov.
26th, 1858, and Betsey Drewry Hotchkin, born in
Massachusetts, June 8th, 1786, and died in Waterville, June 30th,
She was in the enjoyment of good health but a short
time after coming to Ohio. During the Civil war she was an earnest
worker in the Ladies' Aid Society, and was always much interested in
Charitable and Benevolent work.
BURCH, who from 1854 to 1875 was a leading citizen of The
Firelands and a large manufacturer at North Fairfield, was born in
Sangerfield, Oneida county, New York, Jan. 6, 1815. He was the
second youngest of the seven children of Zebulon and Elizabeth
Burch. Zebulon was born in August, 1755, and died Jan. 5, 1853.
He and his three brothers, Henry, William and Increase
were born and raised in
[Page 2436] -
New York state, near Troy. Elizabeth Burch was born in May, 1775,
and died June 22, 1835. In the year 1840, Nicholas
Burch was married to Martha Ann Hotchkin
and moved to the small village of Eaton, Madison county, New York,
where with his savings of $1,000.00 he engaged in the foundry
business with one or two partners, making stoves, plows, engine
castings, etc. He was a natural
mechanic and inventor of ability. He felt justly proud of
the stove he invented and gave it the name of Excelsior Air Tight
Double Oven Cooking Stove, and for which he was granted letters
patent in 1845. It was exhibited at the first World's Fair,
which was held in London in 1851. It attracted very much
attention and was
[Page 2437] -
the first stove that many visitors at the Fair ever saw, as stoves
were used in the United States before they were in Europe.
Queen Victoria was deeply interested in the fair and a
frequent visitor, and ate of food baked in the stove. The
Excelsior stove was of very superior merit and extremely popular
with housewives, as illustrated by the following incident:
Mrs. Johnson, of North Fairfield, widow of
Wm. Johnson, and 85 years of age, said last summer: “I used my
Excelsior stove 48 years and if I had it now nobody could get it.”
The stove patterns were destroyed when the Plow Factory burned in
Fairfield, and as she could get no repairs she thought she must buy
a new stove, so she bought a high grade modern one, and in the
meantime her old stove went into the scrap pile. But she says,
she would rather have the old stove than the new one.
Having decided he would not do business away from a
railroad any longer he sold his interest to his partners, made a
trip West in search of a location, and after having about decided to
locate in Madison, Wisconsin, or Cleveland, Ohio, he learned of a
new brick factory being for sale very reasonable, in what was then
considered the very promising village of N. Fairfield, Ohio, visited
the village and found it a lively one, with work on its prospective
trunk line railroad (The Clinton Air Line R. R.) being rapidly
pushed; was so well pleased with the factory and the seemingly
bright future of the village that he decided to locate there, so
bought the factory, returned to Eaton, packed his household goods,
stove and other pat terns, and shipped them.
As he was about to move with his family to what was
then considered “Way out West” they visited relatives and friends
two weeks after their goods were shipped before going them. selves,
feeling the goods would be in Fairfield upon their ar rival, but
they boarded at a Hotel six weeks before they did arrive.
This was in 1854. In a short time he was making stoves,
plows and jobbing castings. 'Twas here he made the first
iron beam plow made in Ohio. The improvements he made in plows
caused him to be rated among the greatest plow-
[Page 2438] -
men of the world. The railroad fell through, shipping
facilities were much worse here than in old Eaton. The county
seat was not moved from Norwalk to Fairfield, but he did business
the best he could until the year 1875, when he sold his factory and
moved to Toledo, erected a factory there and with his sons,
Albert and Clarence, founded the Toledo Plow and Iron
Works. The business prospered for ten years following and was
then incorporated under the name of The Toledo Plow Co. and business
extended very largely.
In 1885 or 1886 he felt he was old enough to retire and
sold out his interest. But he could not remain idle, and was
soon at work making a new plow and when completed gave it the name
of “The New Burch.” In 1887 he went to Crestline, Ohio, and
with his sons, Charles and Clarence, founded the “New
Burch Plow Works.” This was also incorporated later (in the
year 1897) with largely increased capital and with Mr.
Burch, its president. However, he did not long remain in
active management of the business; his advanced age prompting him to
retire, this time permanently.
The Burch Plows have a well merited reputation
and are still manufactured extensively. His latest production
was the “New Burch” steel beam plow. This he designed when he
was nearly if not quite eighty years old, and unaided, made all of
the patterns and perfected them until they were in shape for making
perfect plows. Nothing afforded him greater pleasure than
competing at a field trial or plowing match. During the
greater part of his residence in North Fairfield, he was a township
trustee, and member of the board of education, aside from that he
never held office. The last years of his life he lived in
Cleveland, O., with his son Charles and died in 1901 at the
advanced age of eighty-six. His remains were taken to North
Fairfield, O., for burial.
EMORY IRVIN BURGESS,
son of Moses and Abigail Burgess, was born in Greenwich, O.,
Apr. 23, 1844, and departed this life June 16, 1919, aged 75 years,
1 month and 24 days. He married Jan. 16, 1866, Mercy J.
Woodworth, of New Haven, O.; and, 2d, on July 26, 1904,
Harriet A. Myers of Kendallville, Indiana, who survived him.
Two children by
[Page 2439] -
the first marriage, Chauncey and Olga, also survived.
Mr. Burgess was an active and efficient church member
throughout his life. The funeral was at the Greenwich M. E.
church and the burial in the East Greenwich cemetery.
P. CALDWELL, died Oct. 14, 1913, at the residence of her
son in law, Prof. Lyman B. Hall, Oerlin. She was born
in Bellevue and spent her girlhood in that town and in Milan.
She married Joseph X. Caldwell, and lived in Huron until a
short time before his death in 1881. From 1889 her home was in
Oberlin. She was survived by one daughter, Mrs. Hall.
The burial was in Milan cemetery.
W. H. CALLIN,
a prominent Richmond township farmer, passed away Dec. 23, 1919,
aged 85 years, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. A. N. Richards,
of Willard. The burial was in the New Haven cemetery.
W. CARPENTER, a member of Norwalk city council, died July 9,
1919, after an illness of several weeks aged 61 years. Mr.
Carpenter was employed in the building business for many years
and afterwards conducted a grocery on Benedict avenue. In 1881
he married Ella Turner, of Milan, who, with a son Chauncey,
survived him. His mother was a sister of William Perrin,
of Norwalk and of Judson Perrin, of Milan. He was a
member of the Presbyterian church; Rev. L. M. Kumler
officiated at the funeral.
CARRIE E. CARPENTER, wife of Willis G. Carpenter, of
Norwalk, died Aug. 12, 1919, after a long illness, aged 59 years.
She was survived by the husband, a daughter, Mrs. W. H. Fielding,
of Fresno, Calif., and a sister Mrs. S. A. Minard of Chicago.
She was a woman of splendid traits of character, a universal
favorite, and a devoted member of the Presbyterian church. Her
club, the South Side Reading Club, attended the funeral services in
a body, which were held at the church, conducted by Rev. A. J.
Funnell and Rev. F. W. Kirkpatrick, the latter a relative
of Joliet, Ill. The burial was in the Milan cemetery.
HARRISON CHANDLER, aged 88 years, 1 month and 21 days, died at
his home on Medina road three miles east of Norwalk Jan. 23, 1919.
He was born Dec. 2, 1830
[Page 2440] -
in Madison county, N. Y., and in 1836 came to Hartland township,
Huron county, with his parents, Ebenezer Hunt and Lydia (Post)
Chandler. His grandfather was Simeon Chandler and
his great-grandfather was Capt. Benjamin Chandler, an
officer in the French army who came to America with Gen.
Lafayette, fought in the Revolutionary war, and then settled
near Hartford, Conn. Isaac H. Chandler was a lumberman
and operated saw mills in various places, the last on what is now
the Fries farm. In recent years he was a farmer until
he retired. In 1853 he married Catherine D. Rumsey,
daughter of Geo. Rumsey, of New London. Three sons
survived him, Clarence C., and F. H., of Norwalk; and
Louis, of Fitchville. Funeral services were conducted
by Rev. E. E. Wilson and the burial was in Woodlawn.
MARGARET CLARK, a life long resident of Monroeville, passed away
Feb. 13, 1919, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Dr. E. R.
Kreider. She was survived also by two other daughters,
Mrs. Laura Williams, of Cleveland, and Mrs. Daisy Wooden,
of Chicago; and by two sons, Mason T. and Robert of
CLARK, widow of Owen Clark, formerly an old resident of
Norwalk, died at the home of her daughter in Jackson, Michigan, May
21, 1919, aged 85 years. Mrs. F. R. Remington is a
daughter. The remains were brought to Norwalk for burial.
CLARK, who was born in Wakeman, O., Mar. 27, 1831, the son of
Dr. Hermon M. and Mrs. Laura Clark (whose vivid word picture of
pioneer life in the woods appears in this volume of The Pioneer)
died at his home in Traer, Tama county, Ohio, Nov. 9, 1919, in his
89th year. In company with his brother Leander Clark (who was
born in Wakeman and for fifty years was a leading citizen of Toledo,
Tama county, Iowa, becoming county judge, member of the legislature.
Lieutenant colonel of the 24th Iowa infantry in the civil war, and
wounded in battle), Theo F. Clark went west in 1854, located
in Tama county, labored and prospered and became the wealthiest man
in the county, owning at the time of his death over 2000 acres of
the most fertile Iowa lands worth
[Page 2441] -
over three quarters of a million dollars, and untold amounts of
other property including stock in several prosperous banks of which
he was president. In 1858 Mr. Clark came back to
Ohio and married Lucia Jane Fuller, who shared with him his
labor and prosperity for nearly 60 years, until her death Mar. 15,
1917. He was survived by one daughter, May Clark, who
married F. A. McCornack, of Traer. They live in Sioux
City, Iowa, where Mr. McCornack is a banker, and they are
among the most prominent and wealthy citizens of that city, and have
a family of five children. Mr. Clark was not only
wealthy in a financial sense, but spiritually and morally he was
rich to a degree attained by few, and rich in the affection of his
friends. He was an active worker in and a strong supporter of
the Congregational church, a leader in all good movements. The
Traer Star-Clipper said of him: "His influence was always elevating;
he leaves an example and a memory that will cheer and encourage,
inspire and bless future generations."
JAY CLAWSON, was born in Clarksfield, May 27, 1850; died at his
home in Vermilion, Sept. 29, 1919, in his 70th year. Surviving
were the wife, three daughters and one son. The funeral
services were held at the Clarksfield M. E. church, and the burial
at the Five Points cemetery on Hartland Ridge.
PAULINE COGGSHALL, who had lived all her life in Townsend and
Norwalk, died June 23, 1919, at her home
71 West Main street.
She had been in the millinery business for many years, and was
COIT, who was born in Greenfield township, the son of Andrew
J. and Emily A. (Wright) Coit, but who had been in the employ of
the Norfolk & Western R. R. at Columbus, O., for over half a
century, died suddenly Sept. 12, 1919, at his home in that city.
He was survived by the widow and seven daughters; also by two
brothers, Geo. W. and C. G. Coit, of Greenfield; and
by a sister, Mrs. J. A. Burner, of Norwalk. The Coit
family were famous sea captains and whalers of New London,
Conn., in the early part of the last century, and the grandfather of
Elias L. Coit came to the Firelands in 1836.
[Page 2442] -
J. M. COLE,
who died at his home in Bronson, Jan, 17, 1915, at the age of 87
years, was only seven months old when brought by his parents in 1828
from New York state to the farm where he lived until called by
death. His wife died in 1911.
COOK, a native of England, died suddenly Monday, Jan. 5, 1920,
at his home on the Old State road, Norwalk. He was born in
1842, came to America in 1848 and to Berlin township in the
Firelands in 1864, where he was married in 1869. In 1899 he moved to
Norwalk, living first on North Pleasant street and afterward in the
house where he passed away. Mr. and Mrs, Cook
celebrated their golden wedding only a few weeks before he was
called away. The widow, a daughter, Mrs. Clarence Barror, of
Cleveland, and two sons, Willis, of Adrian, Michigan, and
Elmer, of Berlinville, survived him.
MRS. JULIA (DARROW) COWLES,
an Ohio literary woman of considerable note, pased away in Toronto,
Canada, Sept. 6, 1919, aged 57 years. She was born in
Norwalk in 1862, her father Frank Y. Darrow being one of the
firm of Darrow Bros, who had a dry goods store in Norwalk in
or near the room on Main street now occupied by Jefferson's hardware
store. Her grandfather, Rev. Allen Darrow, also lived
in Norwalk at that time, as he was the pastor of the Norwalk Baptist
church from 1856 to 1863. Her mother was Alimna Jones,
daughter of Rev. Stephen Jones, a well known
Baptist minister in. Northern Ohio, and brother of Col. James A.
Jones a former prominent citizen. Dr. Dutton Jones,
of North Fairfield, is a son of Rev. Stephen Jones, and
Mrs. Celia Hyde, of Whittlesey ave., is a daughter of Col. J.
A. Jones. Mrs. Cowles is survived by four
children, Hazel, of Toronto, Florence, of Washington
state, Edward, of near Toronto, and Raymond, of New
York. In the Cleveland Plain Dealer, W. R. Rose paid
this tribute to Mrs. Cowles:
"Julia Darrow Cowles
was author of many books for children, and a trained teller of
stories—a Schehezerade of the school room.
"Her stories were told for children and to
[Page 2443] -
MARY E. (NOBLE) DARLING, widow of J. B. Darling, died at
her home Hartland Center, Huron county, May 26, 1919, at the great
age of 91 years. She was born in Colesville, Broome county, N.
Y., May 21, 1828, and married J. B. Darling at Binghampton,
N. Y., May 2, 1853. They came to the Firelands in 1860,
settling in Hartland, where Mr. Darling, who was a prominent
man of affairs, died in 1903. She was survived by three children,
Will H. Darling, of Hartland, Miss Sate B. Darling, of
Norwalk, and Mrs. F. H. Rumsey, whose husband was county
recorder until recently. She was a consistent Christian all
through her long and useful life.
DATSON, a well known resident of Berlinville, Erie county, died
at his home Nov. 12, 1919, in his 80th year. He was survived
by his wife and by two daughters, Mrs. James Buck, of
Norwalk, and Mrs. Wm. D. Daugherty, wife of the Nickel Plate
agent at Avery. He was a member of the M. B. church of
Townsend. Burial in the Berlinville cemetery.
died Jan. 20, 1919, at his home in Peru township, where he had lived
since 1836, in his 83d year. He was a well known thresher for
43 years. He was survived by five sons and four daughters.
[Page 2444] -
SARAH DISNEY, was born Dec. 12, 1839, and died on her 80th
birthday at the home of her daughter, Mrs. William Drace, in
Florence, Ohio. She was survived also by another daughter,
Mrs. H. A. Wells, of Toledo. The burial was in Woodlawn
FRANCIS (BAKER) DOLBEE, died at her home in Norwalk, May 14,
1919. She was the daughter of Ansel Baker, an old
resident of Norwalk ; in 1869 she married Chester Robbins,
who died in 1913. In 1917 she married, 2d, Ira Dolbee,
who survived her : also two sons, A. W. Robbins, of Townsend,
and John Robbins, of Norwalk, and a daughter, Mrs. Martha
Garner, of Norwalk. The burial was in Woodlawn.
JOHN H. DONALDSON
[Page 2445] -
[PORTRAIT of JOHN H. DONALDSON at age of 62]
[Page 2446] -
[Page 2447] -
MRS. LURA PERMELIA (BARKER) DONADSON
[Portrait of MRS. LURA P. (BARKER) DONALDSON]
[Page 2448] -
[Page 2449] -
MRS. ELVIR m. (WELLS) ELLIS
MRS. FANNIE F. EVERETT
HENRY J. FAY
MRS. SARAH ELIZABETH (FOWLER) FAY
[Page 2450] -
ALBERT M. FISH
DAVID O. FRAYER
SILAS C. FRENCH
EMIL O. FRIEND
[Page 2451] -
CHRISTOPHER G. GALLEY
MISS LIZZIE F. GALLUP, the yonngest
daughter of Hallet and Clarissa Gallup and granddaughter of
Platt and Sally
[PORTRAIT of MISS LIZZIE F. GALLUP]
[Page 2452] -
(de Forest) Benedict
MRS. ELECT EUPHRASIA (ADAMS) GALPIN (see portrait
in this volume)
DR. LEMAN GALPIN
[Page 2453] -
MRS. SARAH (BURNS) GALPIN
[Page 2454] -
HENRY GRAEE, SR.
DR. A. E. GRIFFIN
MRS. MARY (FLEHARTY) GRIFFIN
CAPT. FRANK B. GROVER
MRS. JAMES HAINES
[Page 2455] -
J. H. HAKES
MRS. CORNELIA (REMINGTON) HANKS
JOHN MITCHELL HARKNESS
REV. WILLIAM TAYLOR HART, D. D.
[Page 2456] -
EDWARD A. HEIN, SR.
BENJAMIN ISAAC HILL
[Page 2457] -
MRS. HELEN (MANAHAN) HILL
WILLIAM H. HORTON, a Civil war veteran,
formerly of Norwalk, died at the Soldiers Home, Sandusky, Dec. 23,
DANIEL J. HUND
[Page 2458] -
MISS CECELIA HIGGINS JENNEY
BENJAMIN F. JOINER
[Page 2459] -
in Wichita. He was survived in the latter city by the widow
and one son, B. Joiner.
WILLIAM H. KEELER
REV. ELI KELLER, D. D.
GEORGE ADAM KENNE
[Page 2460] -
were conducted by Rev. H. C. Klutey of Oak Harbor. The
burial was in the Marbelhead cemetery.
MRS. LOUISA (CARPENTER) KETCHUM
MONROE KISTLER, SR.
JOHN J. KUBACH
MRS. MERTA E. (WATKINS) LATIMER
[Page 2461] -
MRS. FRANCES M. LEE
MRS. MARY ANN (EVIS) LORD
MRS. W. P. LYMAN
[Page 2462] -
EUGENE L. McCAGUE
MRS. PHILENA (BLACKMAN) McCAMMON
[Page 2463] -
MRS. SARAH E. McLEOD
[Page 2464] -
GEN. ISAAC FOSTER, MACK, JR.
JOHN TALMAN MACK
[Page 2465] -
MRS. MARY (FOOTE) MACK
[Page 2466] -
ELMER H. MEAD
JONATHAN TRUMBULL MEAD
[Page 2467] -
preceded him to the tomb. The funeral services were in charge
of Mrs. Bell Gates and the burial was in the
MRS. ANNA MEEKER
DR. DUANE B. MILES
MRS. ALICE VIOLA (KING) MILLS
ANDREW JACKSON MINARD
[Page 2468] -
MRS. LUCY PRESTON (WICKHAM) MINARD
[Page 2469] -
MRS. JOSEPHINE MOORE
MRS. MARY MOOS
SAMUEL DANFORTH MORSE
MRS. NINA (BARNES) MOSIER
[Page 2470] -
AUGUSTUS PORTER MOWRY
MRS. BETSEY M. (ADAMS) MOWRY
MRS. SALLIE M. NEWMAN
W. R. NORTON
[Page 2471] -
CAPT. ADDISON H. PEARL
[Page 2472] -
SAMUEL JUSTUS PECK
WILLIAM C. PENFIELD
GEORGE W. PLUE
[Page 2472] -
MRS. ESTHER TAYLOR PRESTON
MRS. MARY (LAWRENCE) RICHARDS
[Page 2474] -
MRS. CLARA (STARKEY) ROADARMEL
MRS. LOUISE ROCKENBAUGH
MRS. EMMA (HAVICE) ROHRBACHER
SAMUEL H. ROWLAND
MRS. MARY ETTA (REED) ROWLEY
[Page 2475] -
MRS. JULIA A. (WOOD) SAWYER
CHRISTIAN F. SCHOEPFIE?
[Page 2476] -
GEORGE W. SHADDUCK,
the youngest and the last survivor of the seven children of Capt.
George and Jane Shadduck, was born in Vermilion, O., Aug. 1,
1857, and died Nov. 27, 1919, in his 63d year. He married
Marion Isaac in 1899, who died in 1902. In 1906 he married
Vera Shreve, who survived him, also one son. Funeral
services were conducted by Rev. Mr. King, of Lakewood, O.,
pastor of the Church of the New Jerusalem. The burial was in
Maple Grove cemetery, Vermilion.
HIRAM JAY SMITH
[Page 2477] -
MRS. LOUIS (WOOD) SMITH
MRS. DONNA (YOUNG) SNODDRAS,
passed away at her home in Norwalk, Sept. 21, 1919, aged 68 years, 9
months and 25 days. She was born in Steuben, Huron county, and
married Harry Snoddras, who survived her, March 18,
1867. She was a gifted woman whose warm friends were legion.
Funeral services were held at the residence, and the burial was in
MRS. THOMAS M. SPROWL,
wife of the cashier of the First National Bank, of Huron,
died Aug. 13, 1919, at her home in that place, aged 72 years.
She was active in the work of Christ Episcopal church, of which she
was a member. She was survived by the husband and one
daughter, Miss Erma.
[Page 2478] -
GEORGE HENRY STANDART,
son of an early pioneer and merchant of the Firelands, Needham
Maynard Standart, was born in Milan, O., May 1729, and died in
Denver, Colorado, Apr. 17, 1899, in his 70th year. He married
in Toledo, Nov. 26, 1858, Myra Brigham Allen, who died in
Cleveland, O., Aug. 9, 1887. [For extended obituary of
Needham M. Standart, see Pioneer, O. S., Vol. XII, pp. 176-177.]
The daughter of George Henry Standart is Mrs.
Nellie (Standart) Gibbs, wife of Harley B. Gibbs, of
Milan, a Cleveland banker and a Life Member of the Firelands
Historical Society. Mrs. Gibbs's only brother, Henry
Needham Standart, lived in Cleveland, O., and died in Denver,
Colorado, Dec. 28, 1919, in his 52d year.
MRS. HELEN IRENE (MANAHAN) STEWART,
the wife of C. F. Stewart, died at her home in Norwalk, May 11,
1919, aged 69 years. She was the daughter of Geo. W.
Manahan, and was born in Ridgefield township in 1850. She
was survived by the husband, a sister, Mrs. Eva S. Robinson,
of New York City, and a brother, Dr. M. W. Manahan, of
Atlanta, Ga. The funeral services were held at the Disciple
church, of which she was a member, conducted by the pastor.
BENJAMIN F. STILES,
who was born in Clarksfield, Dec. 9, 1850, died at his home in
Fitchville township, Nov. 20, 1919, aged 68 years, 11 months and one
day. He was survived by the wife of two children. Lewis
and louisa Stiles. Funeral services were in charge of Rev.
Mr. Epply, the Baptist minister at New London, and burial was in
MRS. DEVERA FLORA (GRIFFIN) STOUTENBURG,
the wife of Grant A. Stoutenburg, Norwalk agent for the
Wheeling & Lake Erie R. R., passed away at Memorial Hospital,
Norwalk, Nov. 17, 1919, in her 48th year. She was born in
Greenwich, Apr. 7, 1872, the daughter of O. W. Griffin, who
was elected county treasurer a few years later when the family moved
to Norwalk. She married G. A. Stoutenburg, Apr. 18,
1894, who survived her with four children, Hortense,
Marjorie, Josephine and Aubrey. She was a member
of the M. E. church and was a woman of many laudable traits of
[Page 2479] -
character. Funeral services were conducted by her pastor,
Rev. E. E. Wilson, and the burial was in Woodlawn.
the son of Aaron and Kesiah Strimple, was born in Richland
county, Ohio, Sept. 10, 1840, and died at his home in Greenwich, O.,
Aug. 13, 1819, aged 78 yrs, 11 months and 3 days. He married
Harriet Eliza Graham. Feb. 23, 1865, who survived him
after over 54 years of married life. Four children also
survived, E. H. and S. H. Strimple; Mrs. Lenna Fancher
and Mrs. Fay E. Key. He was a member of the Ninevah
MRS. KATE (NAPIER) STURGES,
who was born in New York city June 8, 1827, the daughter of
William and Eliza Napier, passed away at the home of H. W.
Kellogg, Greenfield township, Nov. 26, 1919, in her 93d year.
She was a direct descendant of Lord Napier, of
Scotland. She came to the Firelands in 1851, and married
Henry A. C. Sturges, Apr. 16, 1880, who died over twenty-five
years ago. She was a devout member of the North Fairfield
Baptist church, and was "Aunt Kate" to her many
friends, young and old alike. Funeral services were conducted
by Rev. Mr. Chittenden, of North Fairfield, and burial was in
the Steuben cemetery.
BENJAMIN C. TABER, long one
of Norwalk's foremost and wealthiest citizens, after a long illness
following a stroke of apoplexy, passed away Sunday morning, June 15,
1919, aged 78 years, 10 months and 9 days. He was born in
Somerville, New Jersey, Aug. 6, 1840, and came to the Firelands,
Apr. 16, 1856, securing a position as a clerk in the store of
Parker Brothers, Norwalk. His great abilities as a
merchant and an organizer were soon recognized, and the splendid
business of the B. C. Taber Company is a continuation of the
store that he entered 63 years before as a boy. For many years
Parker, Manahan & Taber, but of late years it
has been owned, operated and controlled exclusively by Mr.
Taber and his sons, and remains a monument to his strict
integrity, commercial acumen, and financial success. He was
one of the original incorporators of the Huron County Banking
Company, and for many years was successively vice president and
president of that prosperous bank, being largely responsible for its
[Page 2450] -
policies and given credit for its progress. Mr.
Taber's fame as a great merchant and financier was not confined
to his home town, but he was widely known and respected in the
business and banking circles of New York, Cleveland and other cities
where he had investments and connections.
When the Civil war broke out and men were called for to
fight for their country, Col. G. H. Safford received au-
B. C. TABER
thority to recruit a regiment, and the name of B.
C. Taber was the very first one to go down on the original
muster roll of volunteers; it was the gallant 55th O. V. V. I., and
Mr. Taber went out with it in 1861 and remained in the active
service till the end, coming back in 1865 after four years of
war,with a captain's commission. In 1866 he married Mary
[Page 2481] -
Parker, daughter of Hon. C. S. Parker, his business
partner; she survived him, with two sons, Thomas C., and
William P. Taber.
Mr. Taber was a member of the Loyal Legion, the
Grand Army of the Republic, and for many years a member of the
vestry of St. Paul's Episcopal church. In all the public and
many of the private activities and benevolences of his church and
the community Mr. Taber was always a cheerful and
liberal participant. He was a very companionable man, widely
read, a great traveler, and an interesting conversationalist.
The funeral services were held in St. Paul's church, conducted by
Rev. Charles H. Gross, and the burial was in Woodlawn.
MRS. ELLA E. TAYLOR,
wife of Wiliam Taylor, of Norwalk, died at her home on
Maple street, May 11, 1919, aged 62 years. She was born in
Fitchville township and lived there until she came to Norwalk in
1905. The husband and three children survived her, C. Loren
Ford, and Mrs. C. A. Blackman, of Norwalk, and Frank
P. Ford, of New London. Funeral services were conducted by
Rev. George H. Welch, and the burial was in Woodlawn.
MRS. ANNA McKELVEY THORP,
who was born in the Firelands, the daughter of Robert and Mary
McKelvey, of Plymouth; and the wife of C. N. Thorp, of
Lakewood, O., passed away at her home in the latter city, Dec. 13,
1919. For a number of years she made her home in Norwalk with
her sister, the late Mrs. Almira A. Benham. She was
survived by the husband and three children.
MRS. FRANCES L. (CANFIELD) TILLOTSON,
formerly of Hartland, died at her home in Norwalk, Oct. 25, 1919,
after a long illness. Her husband, C. G. Tillotson, died in
1916. She was survived by two daughters, Mrs. Mertie
Holland, of New London, and Mrs. W. J. Jordan, of
Norwalk; also three brothers, Clark and Ralph
Canfield, of Norwalk, and Charles Canfield, of Townsend
township. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. L. A.
Ensley, of New London; the burial was in Woodlawn cemetery,
of Ripley township, lived to be over 100 years old, and died Mar.
24, 1919, on the farm which he had
[Page 2482] -
owned for 75 years, and from which he himself cleared the original
big timber. He was born in Milan, Ohio, the son of William
C. and Mary (Brubaker) Truxell, Feb. 5, 1819, so that his exact
age at death was 100 years, one month and 19 days. He was a
good citizen, a successful and substantial farmer, who had
experienced the hardships of pioneer days, did not have the
advantages of good schools, as he had only six months' school during
his life; who worked for his father in Greenfield township till he
was 21, and then with nothing but a homespun suit of clothes set out
to hew his own way, literally. He was an expert with an axe,
and began by chopping down the big trees for $4.50 an acre. He
counted up in later years that in all he had himself cleared the
timber from 220 acres of land; and to one who knows about or can
imagine, the heavy growth of timber in the primeval forests of the
Firelands, that statement stands out as representing "some job."
His strong and rugged constitution he attributed to his simple life
and to his never having used tobacco or liquor in any form. He
was a God-fearing, Christian man, a member of the Baptist church for
more than 80 years. His first presidential vote was cast for "William
Henry Harrison in 1840, and in 1916 he had voted the 20th
time for president. He married Sarah Howard, of
New Haven in 1858; of their five children, two survived him, L.
B. Truxell and Mrs. Nettie Dellavoer. In his father's family
were five sons and three daughters, all of whom lived long and
prosperous lives; one brother, James Truxell, and one
sister, Mrs. Mary J. Rex, survived David Truxell.
His life of over a century adds another to the lengthening list of
Firelands Centenarians, though it is our impression that he was the
first person born on the Firelands to reach that great age.
F. H. TUBBS,
who was a boy in Milan, when the first telegraph line was built to
that town more than 70 years ago, died in the Plaza hotel, Chicago,
Oct. 3, 1919, aged 85 years. He began as a telegraph operator
at Milan and became one of the leading men in telegraphy, being for
many years superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph Company for
the Chicago district.
[Page 2483] -
MRS. MARY C. (SOUTHARD) VAN BUSKIRK,
was born Nov. 11, 1838, in Tuckerton, New Jersey, came to the
Firelands with her parents in 1847, and died Nov. 11, 1919, aged 81.
She married Lewis T. Dole in 1856, and after his death
married (2d) Peter Van Buskirk in 1866. She was a
member of the North Fairfield Christian church; funeral services
conducted by her pastor Rev. S. C. Pierce, were held in the
church, and the burial was in the North Fairfield cemetery.
She was survived by six children.
VRANKEN, died at his home in New London, O., Apr. 14, 1915, aged
79 years, 10 months and 10 days. He was born in Ruggles
township, June 4, 1835, the son of Garrett and Mary Van Vranken.
He married Lydia Andrews in 1865, who survived him, also one
son, Dr. George W. Van Vranken, of Ramsey, Illinois.
born in Tolland, Conn., July 7, 1776, and Hannah Burgess,
born Mar. 6, 1778, "Joyned the Marriage Covenant, May, 1799,"
according to his old family bible.
In 1817 they moved to Berlin township, Erie county,
Ohio, to a farm on what is called the old "Telegraph Road," his
house long being known as the "Walker tavern." The wife
died Sept. 9, 1851, and Mr. Walker in 1859.
Their children were Benjamin B., born Nov. 25,
1800, died Mar. 21, 1840; Elizabeth, born July 14, 1802;
Rhoda, born Jan. 14, 1804, died Jan. 26, 1804; Alera,
born Mar. 7, 1805; Mary, born Jan. 27, 1807, died Oct. 17,
1808; Harry, born Mar. 21, 1811, died Jan. 8, 1859; Mary
born Apr. 12, 1815, died Feb. 10, 1816; David, Jr., born Jan.
12, 1817, died Feb. 18, 1842; Julius, born May 13, 1819.
HERMAN G. WEBSTER,
died suddenly at the Ohio State Soldiers' Home, Sandusky, Sept. 27,
1919. He was formerly a prominent resident of Monroeville and
North Monroeville, and served in the Civil war in the 101st O. V. I.
the funeral was in charge of the G. A. R. and the burial was in the
North Monroeville cemetery beside the grave of his wife.
MRS. LUCRETIA ADAMS (MALLARY) WELLS,
was born in Sandusky, Feb. 12, 1839, the last surviving child of
[Page 2484] -
and Fannie (Adams) Mallary. Her mother's father was
Col. Pliny Adams (1767-1816) of Poultney, Vermont. Her
girlhood was spent in Norwalk, where Mr. Mallary was
one of the foremost citizens and postmaster. The family then
moved to Ponltney, Vt., where she was married Sept. 28, 1870, to
Walter M. Wells, and thenceforth they made Delavan, Wis., their
home. After a happy married life of nearly thirty years,
Mr. Wells died, Jan. 14, 1899; Mrs. Wells followed
him to the tomb May 15, 1916, in her 78th year. Endowed by
nature with beauty of person, apt at repartee and an accomplished
musician, she was a delightful companion and, withal, serenely
modest and unassuming. In her church work she was
pre-eminently a leader not merely because she was the wife of the
senior warden but by reason of her own activity and Christian charm.
She was remembered and admired in Norwalk as Lucretia
Mallary for many years after she left here.
MRS. SARAH (SNYDER) WEST,
who died Jan. 13, 1920, was the daughter of William and Mary
Snyder, and the widow of Alonzo T. West, of Peru.
She was born Mar. 22, 1838, and married in March, 1858, Mr. West
passing away in 1898. She was survived by one son, William
H. West, of Chicago, Ill., at whose home she died, at the age of
81 years, 8 months and 21 days. The aged William T. Snyder,
of Norwalk, is a brother. Funeral services were held at
Fred H. Hay's chapel, Norwalk, conducted by Rev. H. A. Vernon,
and the burial was in Woodlawn.
MRS. MAHALA JANE WHEELER,
widow of Samuel C. Wheeler, a former well known attorney of
Sandusky, died at her home in that city, Jan. 28, 1919, in her 84th
year. She was born Mar. 2, 1835, and had lived in the
Firelands practically all her life. She was an active member
of Grace Episcopal church. The funeral services were conducted
by Rev. E. G. Mapes.
died Mar. 12, 1919, at the home of his daughter, in Fairfield
township, aged 84 years. He was born in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia,
Dec. 21, 1834, the family moving to the Firelands and locating in
Milan, O., many years ago. He came to Norwalk where he married
[Page 2485] -
Jane Lewis. He was survived by a daughter,
Mrs. Abbie Ingersoll, of North Fairfield, O., and a son,
Charles Whidden, of Troy, Ohio. He was an expert
carpenter and builder, and highly respected. He was a member
of the Norwalk Baptist church. Rev. H. A. Vernon
conducted the funeral. The burial was in Woodlawn.
MRS. LORENA MARIA (MANVEL) WHITCOMB,
daughter of David Manvel, was born in Wakeman township, Feb.
14, 1838, and died at her home in Wakeman, Aug. 16, 1915, aged 78
years and 6 months. She married Richard Teed, of
Townsend township, Nov. 17, 1858, who died in 1879. She
married (2d) Joel D. Whitcomb, of Wakeman, Dec. 19, 1881, who
died in April, 1907. She was a member of the Wakeman M. E.
church; funeral services were conducted at the church by Rev. D.
died at his home in Rocky River, O., Mar. 5, 1919, aged 68. He
was born in Henrietta, O., the son of Hiram Whitney, in 1851
and for many years, with his brother, conducted a widely known tree
nursery in Norwalk. He married Sarah Tillinghast, daughter of
Fred Tillinghast, of Norwalk, who survived him; also
two children, Hiram T. Whitney and Mrs. Earl Mitchell,
both of Rocky River. Funeral services were held at the home of
his sister, Mrs. Cortland L. Kennan, in Norwalk, conducted by
Rev. E. H. Douglass; the burial was in Woodlawn.
CHARLES B. WHYLER,
died at his home in Ocean Park, Calif., Aug. 13, 1919, aged 52 years
and 3 months. He was born in Norwalk, O., May 12, 1867, the
son of John G.
Whyler. His mother was the daughter of George Tillotson,
of Fremont. Chas. B. Whyler was a member of the
Cleveland fire department for twenty-eight years and became in 1906
assistant fire chief, attaining great fame in Cleveland and
throughout the country by his brilliant and efficient work as a
master fire fighter. He retired on a pension in 1914 and died
from the effects of poison gas inhaled at a fire in Cleveland.
He was survived by the widow and three children. His
great-grandfather "Old John" Whyler, was one of the
earliest merchants in Norwalk, almost a hundred years ago.
[Page 2486] -
MRS. EMMA (WILDMAN) WICKHAM,
was born in Clarksfield township, the daughter of Capt. Frederick
A. and Mrs. Marietta (Patch) Wildman, in 1838, and came to
Norwalk in 1852 when her father took the office of Clerk of the
Courts to which he had been elected. She was educated in the
Norwalk public and private schools and attended Oberlin college for
a time. She married Col. Charles P. Wickham, President
of the Firelands Historical society, Aug. 7, 1860; but the next year
was called on to part with him for four years of active service in
the Civil war. After a long and useful life she passed away
June 13, 1919, in her 81st year, survived by her husband, four sons
and two daughters, C. P. Wickham, Jr., L. W. Wickham,
Major R. D. Wickham and Miss Mayno G. Wickham, of
Norwalk; Mrs. C. C. Curran, of New York, and W. H. Wickham,
of Denver. She was a lifetime member of the Presbyterian
church and always active and influential in the religious and
intellectual life of the community. Funeral services were held
at the home and the burial was in Woodlawn.
MISS SARA LOUISE WICKHAM,
was born in Norwalk, Oct. 9, 1846, the daughter of Judge
Frederick and Mrs. Lucy (Preston) Wickham and passed away Oct.
31, 1916, at the age of 70 years. She graduated from the
Norwalk high school and studied music in Oberlin and in Boston under
the best masters, becoming an accomplished musician and a brilliant
organist. Many private pupils owed their musical skill to her
thorough and careful instruction. All through life she was
untiring in her efforts to serve her friends and to do good to any
in need of her ministrations. She was a member of the
Presbyterian church and accepted as her rule of life the gospel of
the Lord Jesus Christ, who came not to be ministered unto but
to minister. She was survived by three brothers and four
sisters. Funeral services were held at the house and the
burial was in Woodlawn in the family vault.
a prominent farmer of Ruggles township, died suddenly Sept. 29,
1919. He was survived by the wife and two children.
[Page 2487] -
MRS. ELLEN E. (HOWE) WILDMAN,
wife of Judge Samuel A. Wildman, of Norwalk, and daughter of
Salem T. and Cornelia (Warner) Howe, was born in Peru
township, Feb. 11, 1847, and passed away Feb. 17, 1919, aged 72
years. She had lived in Norwalk about 70 years, and graduated
from the high school with the class of 1867. She married
Samuel A. Wildman, July 13, 1870, and after a brief residence in
Salina, Kansas, their home was thereafter in Norwalk. She was
survived by the husband and two children, Clifton Howe Wildman,
of Placerville, Calif., and Marion W. Wildman (Mrs. Jesse A.)
Fenner, of Cleveland. Mrs, Wildman was a woman of
great literary ability and was one of the first graduates of the
Chautauqua Scientific and Literary Circle and was an original member
of the Shakespeare Club. She was kind, generous and charitable
and prominent in many of the city's philanthropic and benevolent
activities. The funeral services were conducted by Rev.
Chas. H. Gross, of the Episcopal church, and the burial was in
CARRIE (STEVENS) WILSON, wife of C. A. Wilson, died at
her home in Wyoming, a suburb of Cincinnati, after a brief illness,
October 21, 1919. She was born in North Fairfield, 0., the daughter
of H. E. Stevens, and lived in Norwalk at the time of her marriage
to Mr. Wilson, and was an efficient teacher in the public
schools. Her husband was with the general offices of the W. &
L. E. R. R. when they were located in Norwalk, but transferred his
activities to Cincinnati many years ago. She was survived by
the husband, by two sons, Chaney and Hamilton
Stevens; and by two sisters Mrs. C. F. Jackson and
Mrs. E. L. Hackett, of Norwalk.
MRS. MARY E. WINFIELD, of
Norwalk, died Apr. 20, 1919, in her 84th year. She was
survived by two daughters, Mrs. E. F. Hatch and Mrs. John
Oberlander. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. E. E.
Wilson, of the M. E. church.
WHITE, a veteran of the Civil war, and a life long resident of
the Firelands, passed away Jan. 4, 1919, at the age of 78 years.
His wife died in 1916, and he lived with Mr. and Mrs. G. A.
Patchen, of Hartland township. He was always cheerful,
brave and courageous, and was ready to meet his Great Commander.
[Page 2488] -
who served his country faithfully and efficiently through the Civil
war from 1861 to 1865, in the 55th O. V. V. L, died at his home in
Berlin Heights, Apr. 7, 1919, aged 87 years. He lived in
Clarksfield and in Norwalk for many years. He was married
twice and had two daughters, but all preceded him to the tomb
leaving him in his old age without immediate family. He was a
man of high principles and genuine Christian character and was very
popular among his associates of the G. A. R. Funeral services
were held in Laible & Brady's chapel, Norwalk, conducted by Rev.
E. E. Wilson, and the burial was in Woodlawn.
WONDERLY, who was born in Norwalk, Jan. 25, 1853, died at his
home in Huntington, Ind., Dec. 8, 1919, in his 67th year. He
learned the railroad business in the Norwalk shops of the L. S. & M.
S. Ry. and became a fireman and in 1873 an engineer on that road.
In 1882 he went to the new Chicago & Atlantic R. R. (now part of the
Erie R. R.), and helped start its first engine; later he had the
regular run on the first fast passenger trains until he retired from
the road a short time before his death. He was given an engine
with his name inscribed on the cab in 1911. He was chief of
the B. of L. E., division 221, until 1916, and was elected twice
delegate to its national convention. He was chairman of the
grievance committee of the Erie R. R. for eight years. He was
one of the ablest and most influential of the many able railroad men
who learned the business in Norwalk. He married Kate C.
Rarey in 1884, who died June 26, 1902. He was survived by
five children. Mr. Wonderly was a member of the
Roman Catholic church, and the funeral was held at St. Mary's church
HARRIET (MEAD) WOODWARD, who died following an operation at the
Mayo Bros, hospital, Rochester, Minnesota, Oct. 25, 1919, was the
widow of D. O. Woodward, who died in 1915. She was the
youngest daughter of Joel E. and Betsey Ann (Lewis) Mead, and
was born on the Mead farm on the Old State road in
Norwalk township. Her father's father, Abraham Mead,
was among the first settlers in Fitchville township in 1817, and cut
the first tree in Fitchville. Her mother's father, Samuel
B. Lewis, came to Norwalk in 1814, and was the second settler in
the township. Mrs. Kate Woodward was survived by a son
Charles Woodward, of Norwalk, and a daughter Mrs.
Katherine Hanlon, of Wauseon; also by two brothers, J.
L. Mead, of Norwalk, and Rev. George Mead, of Bel Air,
Md. She was a faithful member of the Presbyterian church; and
president of the Benefit club, whose members attended her funeral in
a body. Funeral services were held at the house, conducted by
Rev. A. J. Funnell, and the burial was in Woodlawn.