OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Jackson County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio
Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co.
1884

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
J. B. JOHNSON, M. D., was born Aug. 18, 1825, in Delaware, a son of John and Susan Johnson, his father a native of England and his mother of Delaware.  J. B. was the second of three children.  He came to Ohio, settling in Pickaway county, in 1842.  In 1844 he began reading medicine under Dr. Jewitt, of Dayton.  In 1846 he began his practice and in 1848 located in Ross County; and later removed to Scioto Township, Jackson County, locating at Grahamsville.  He afterward removed to Franklin Township, and in May 1877, came to Jackson.  He is one of the most successful physicians of Jackson County and has an extended practice.  When he first came to this county, thirty-five years ago, it was in some places almost unexplored, and as a pioneer physician he had many difficulties to contend with.  He was married to Catharine Trexler, of Jackson County.  They have four children - John, operating an iron store at Wellston; William B., Franklin and Rachel.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 560
EBEN J. JONES, manager of the Jefferson Furnace Company, was born in Jefferson Township, Dec. 4, 1851, a son of John H. Jones.  He received a common-school education and afterward attended the National Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio.  In 1872 - '73 he taught school, but in the spring of 1873 entered the employ of the Jefferson Furnace Company, where, since 1876, he has been manager.  He was married in 1876 to Jane A. Evans, daughter of David J. Evans, of Jackson County.  They have four children.  Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Welsh Calvanistic Methodist church.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 560
EVAN C. JONES, County Surveyor of Jackson County, Ohio, was born in Jackson County, June 1, 1841, a son of Evan C. Jones.  He was reared on the farm, receiving a common-school education, but from 1865 to 1870 was engaged in saw-milling in Jackson, Scioto and Pike counties.  In the latter year he went to Kansas intending to make that State his home, but in 1875 returned to Ohio.  He served two terms as Surveyor of Rice County, Kas., and one term as County Superintendent.  Since his return to Ohio he has lived the greater part of the time in Jackson County.  From 1875 till 1879 he was engaged in farming and saw-milling.  In March, 1879, he was recommended by the county commissioners for the appointment of County Surveyor and is now serving his second term in that capacity.  In 1863 Mr. Jones enlisted in Company H, First Ohio Heavy Artillery, and served till August, 1865.  He married Maggie, daughter of David Perry, of Jackson County.  They have three children.  Mr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Welsh Presbyterian church.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, of the blue lodge at Portland, chapter at Jackson, and commandery at Portsmouth.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 560
EZEKIEL T. JONES, Receiver for the Huron Furnace Company, a son of Thomas Jones, was born in Meigs County, Ohio, in 1837, but with the exception of seven years spent in Brazil, Clay Co., Ind., has lived in Jackson County since 1838.  He was educated in the common schools and at the Ohio University, Athens.  He commenced work at stone-cutting when sixteen years of age, and when nineteen superintended the building of the Oak Ridge Furnace in Lawrence County, Ohio, and afterward the Zaleski Furnace in Vinton County.  He subsequently repaired furnaces till 1864, when he became a contractor of stone-work, on the bridge of the M. & C. R. R.  The following year he superintended the building of the Orange Furnace in Jackson.  In the spring of 1867 he went to Clay County, Ind., and erected the Planet Furnace at Brazil, which he operated successfully till 1873.  In 1868 he married Julia Harshbarger, of Virginia.  In 1873 he removed to Jackson to take stock in and superintend the building of the Tropic Furnace (now Tropic Iron Company).  He had the charge of this furnace till 1878 when he was induced to become a candidate for Sheriff of Jackson County on the Democratic ticket.  Although that party was in the minority he was elected by a fair majority and served one term.  In the summer of 1878 he became engaged in mineral operations but abandoned his connections during his term of office.   In the spring of 1881 he became a stockholder and superintended the opening of the Alice Mine in Coal Township, which he managed till September, 1882, when he was appointed to his present position.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page  560
J. C. JONES, coal operator, of Jackson, Ohio, of the firm Jones & Morgan and Secretary of the Tropic Iron Company, Jackson, Ohio, is a son of Evan C. Jones, who was a native of South Wales, born Mar. 17, 1805.  HE matured in his native country, where he learned the trade of coopering.  In the year 1836 he married Elizabeth Jones, (no relation), a native of the same country.  In 1838 they emigrated to the United States and settled in Madison Township, Jackson Co., Ohio, where Mr. Jones died Nov. 5, 1865, and his wife Sept. 15, 1882.  They were both members of the Welsh Presbyterian church.  In politics he believed in teh principles of the Republican party.  He was a man of medium-sized frame, heavy set and strong constitution.  His wife was of average size, having an excellent constitution.  They had born to them four children - John, born Oct. 7, 1838; Evan, June 1, 1841; David Jan. 30, 1844; and Daniel, Sept. 20, 1847, whom hey reared with credit to themselves and the children.  the youngest son, Daniel, was unfortunately killed by the explosion of a saw-mill boiler in Jefferson Township, of this county, Nov. 29, 1876.  The three older brothers still survive.  We make a special mention of John, the eldest.  He was born in this county and grew to manhood near Oak Hill, receiving a common-school education.  He has been engaged in business as a clerk since 1863, serving as secretary of the Tropic Iron Company since June 1, 1879.  His political affiliations are in the behalf of the Republican party, though not an aspirant for any office.  In religion he adheres to the Welsh Presbyterian church.  He is a man of average size, square shoulders, full-chested, stands erect, and has fair health.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 561
MILES JONES, of the Jones Coal Company, was born Aug. 22, 1843, a son of Thomas and Sarah (Miles) Jones.  When eighteen years of age he commenced life for himself by working on a farm, but in September, 1862, enlisted in Company H, One Hundred and Seventeenth Ohio Infantry, and was subsequently transferred to the First Ohio Heavy Artillery.  After the war he resumed farming in Franklin Township.  In March, 1873, he removed to Jackson, where he was engaged to manage the Huron Furnace.  After the suspension of the furnace he dealt in stock, but in 1878 became associated with his brothers, E. T. and T. M., in coal mining.  He for a time had an interest in the Huron and Tropic furnaces, but now has no interest in either, although employed at the latter.  He is superintendent of the Jones Coal Company.  Dec. 25, 1872, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Moses and Alice Carrick, early settlers of Milton Township,.  Mrs. Jones died Apr. 5, 1875, leaving one child - Lizzie F.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 561
HON. R. H. JONES, attorney and legislator, Jackson, Ohio, was born in North Wales, May 26, 1841, and is the son of Evan R. and Catharine (Hugh) Jones, both of whom were also natives of that country.  Mr. Evans Jones with his wife and two children, R. H. and Jane, emigrated to America in the fall of 1844, and located at Akron, Ohio; subsequently in Mahoning County, Ohio, where he followed mining.  During the great lead excitement i Wisconsin, in 1849, he moved to Dodgeville, in that State; but, becoming dissatisfied, returned East the same fall, settling near Sharon, Pa., and later in Jackson County, Ohio.  After a brief residence here he, in 1852, became a land owner in Lawrence County and engaged in farming.  In 1854 he returned to Wisconsin, settling at La Crosse, but soon returned.  On his way East by steamer his wife died of cholera, and was interred on the Kentucky shore, fifteen miles below Louisville.  He pressed on with his five motherless children to Jackson County, where he found foster families for all save R. H., whom he apprenticed to learn the saddler's trade at Oak Hill.  After the expiration of his apprenticeship he worked at Ironton and Portsmouth until the Southern States threatened the destruction of the Union, when he offered his services on the first call for troops, enlisting in three months' service in Company A, Eighteenth Ohio Infantry, to suppress the threatening disaster.  In July of the same year his term expired, but eight days later (on the 6th of August) he re-entered the service under General Hickenlooper's Fifth Ohio Independent Battery, for three years.  Owing to his physical disability he was discharged in October 1862, having been engaged on the 3d and 4th of the same month in the battle of Corinth.  Preceding the battle of Corinth on April 6 and 7, engaged in battle of Shiloh.  During his stay at home, in the summer of 1863, his health improved, and Sept. 9, of the same year he again entered the military service as Second Lieutenant of Company A, Fifth United States Colored Troops, at Camp Delaware, Ohio, serving in actual duty until the close of the Rebellion, having been commissioned as Captain in May, 1865.  While in the battle of Shiloh his horse was shot from under him.  In December, 1863, he was in the foraging expedition under General Wild from Norfolk at Elizabeth City, N. C.  Subsequently he was transferred and landed at City Point, May 4, 1864, after which he was in nearly all the battles that took place in and about Petersburg and Richmond.  His regiment, composed of parts of forces, engaged in both expeditions against Fort Fisher in December, 1864, and January, 1865, taking part in the sanguinary battle that resulted in the fall of this next to impregnable fort or fortress.  He returned home after his final muster out, October, 1865, and located in Jackson and in December, 1866, in Oak Hill, Ohio, and resumed his trade, and at the same time commenced the reading of law.  He conducted his trade until 1873, when he relinquished it for the practice of law, having been admitted to the bar in April, 1872.  He practiced in Oak Hill until April, 1883, when he located in Jackson, Ohio.  The early education of Mr. Jones was very limited, having never had but three months' schooling.  Yet by his unflinching energy and determination he has acquired a good practical knowledge of the various branches outside of his profession.  His political affiliations are in accordance with the Republican party, which, in the fall of 1881, elected him to the Sixty-Fifth General Assembly of Ohio, from Jackson County, and he is now renominated for election in the fall of 1883.  He was married Apr. 28, 1868, to Maria S. Hanna, of Jackson County, Ohio, by whom he has had six children, all now living.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page  561
T. M. JONES was born in Pittsburg, Pa., Jan. 29, 1832, the eldest of thirteen children of Thomas and Sarah (Miles) Jones, the former a native of North Wales, born in 1811.  In 1838 his parents removed to Jackson, where they still reside.  When sixteen years of age he began to learn the stone mason's trade, working at it till 1857.  He superintended the buildings of the Jefferson, Latrobe and Young America furnaces.  He was for twenty-five years manager of furnaces, and was a stockholder in the Jefferson and Star.  The latter is the only stone-coal furnace in Jackson County that ever paid a dividend to the stockholders.  In 1882-'83 he erected the Jones Music Hall, corner of Main and Church streets.  It is 60 x 87 feet, with a seating capacity of 1,200.  It has a good stage, scenery, etc., and cost $20,000.  He is now connected with the Jackson Coal Company, the Jones Coal Company, and is also interested in the lands operated by Jones & Morgan.  He also owns a fine grazing farm of 280 acres joining the corporation of Jackson, and has in the past made a specialty of fine Durham cattle.  Mr. Jones shipped the first car load of coal from Coalton, on the Springfield, Jackson & Pomeroy Railroad.  He also opened the first coal mine near Coalton, now the property of the Kelly Coal Company.  Politically he is a Republican.  He was married in 1858 to Elizabeth, daughter of William Davis  They have a family of five children.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 563

NOTES:

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
JACKSON COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights