OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Jackson County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio
Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co.
1884

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
P. H. WASHAM, clothier, Jackson, Ohio, of the firm of P. H. Washam & Co., is a native of Eastern Virginia, born in 1841, of English extraction, a son of A. W. and Nancy J. Washam, and brother of W. T. Washam, now of Lick Township, Jackson County.  The firm in which Mr. Washam occupies so prominent a position is second to none in the county, and is not only extensively but favorably known throughout the district covered by the history of this volume.  P. H. Washam matured in his native State but had comparatively no educational advantages save at his own expense, though business has greatly improved his general knowledge.  He served in the late war from 1861, to 1863, under Captain T. S. Flournoy, who subsequently became Colonel of the Sixth Virginia Regiment.  From the expiration of his military services he remained in Virginia until 1869 in which year he came to Jackson, Ohio.  Since a resident here he has been in public business and is widely known as a strict, live, energetic and substantial business man with whom it is a pleasure to trade.  While he possesses a fine knowledge of business, he does not believe in dividing his attention, giving a small proportion to different classes of business, but believes in the old adage, "Where there is concentration of mind there is strength."  Mr. Washam is politically a Democrat though not an aspirant to any public offices.  His marriage was consummated with Miss Almira Poor, of Jackson, to whom one child has been born.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 583
JOSEPH B. WATSON is a native of Pennsylvania, a son of Samuel and Mary (Mason) Watson.  His grandfather, George Watson, was a native of Ireland and died in Westmoreland County, Pa.  His father died in August, 1823, in Pennsylvania.  In 1850 he came with his mother to Ohio and located in Portsmouth.  His mother subsequently died in Ross County.  His first work after coming to Ohio was to assist in building the Cincinnati & Marietta Railroad.  He afterward worked at the carpenter's trade in Portsmouth.  His mother subsequently died in Ross County.  His first work after coming to Ohio was to assist in building the Cincinnati & Marietta Railroad.  He afterward worked at the carpenter's trade in Portsmouth ten years.  In 1860 he came to Jackson.  In 1869 he commenced gardening on his present lot of fifteen acres in the Salt Creek bottom.  His land is well cultivated and yields him annually a good profit.  He was married July 3, 1853, to Ellen Reininger, a native of Portsmouth, and a daughter of Major C. F. Reininger.  They have six children, five daughter and one son, all living at home.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 584
J. W. WHITE, son of William White, was born in Beaver County, Pa., Dec. 20, 1838.  When he was eight years of age his father removed Jackson County, Ohio, and settled on a farm, where his boyhood days were passed.  He was a diligent student and by his own exertions prepared himself for a teacher.  He taught his first school in the fall and winter of 1858.  He was a successful disciplinarian and never taught a school that his services were not desired for a second term.  June 2, 1862 he enlisted in Company E, Eighty seventh Ohio Infantry, and served four months.  At the surrender of General Miles at Harper's Ferry he was taken prisoner, but was paroled and returned home.  June 21, 1863, he enlisted in Company F, One Hundred and Twenty-ninth Ohio Infantry.  He participated in the campaign of General Burnside, and was discharged  Mar. 5, 1864.  After his return home he taught one term of school and then carried on a farm a year.  In 1867 he moved to Jackson and was in the mercantile business till 1873, but since then has been clerking for different parties.  Since 1880 he has been store-keeper for the Starr Furnace Company.  He was married Mar. 29, 1866, to M. J. Harper.  They have six children.  Mr. and Mrs. White are members of the United Presbyterian church near Cove Station.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 584
DAVID R. WILLIAMS, of the firm of Chapman & Williams, proprietors of the Diamond Coal Mine, Jackson, Ohio, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, in 1849, the second of ten children of George G. and Catharine Williams, both natives of Wales.  His mother came to America when quite young and his father at the age of eighteen.  They were married at Pittsburg, Pa., and located at Pomeroy, Ohio, afterward removing to Gallia County, where his father died and his mother is still living.  David R. was reared on a farm and followed that occupation till 1879 when he removed to Sunfish Township, Pike County, and engaged in lumbering a year.  In 1880 he removed to Jackson and has since been engaged at the Diamond Coal Mine.  In 1872 he married Margaretta Shedrick, who died, leaving one child.  He then married Jane, daughter of Lewis Davis.  To them were born two children.  His present wife was Margaret Rodrick.  They have one child.  Mr. and Mrs. Williams, are members of the Welsh Presbyterian church.  He is one of the well-to-do and influential citizens of Jackson.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 584
WILLIAM E. WILLIAMS, physician and surgeon, Jackson, Ohio, is a son of Morgan Williams, who was of Welsh birth, and died in Jackson, Ohio, June 17, 1883.  In his native country he was engaged in cabinet-making, but after coming to Ohio he followed farming successfully, mostly till his death.  He was married in his native country to Annie Jones, of Welsh birth, and in 1838 they emigrated to Ohio, settling in Jackson County, where they ever after lived.  Mrs. Williams died in 1855 and was the mother of ten children.  Our subject was born in Jackson County in 1848 and passed his minor life mostly on the farm.  At the age of fifteen he was an independent farmer and managed a farm successfully until he was eighteen eyars of age when he entered the Ohio University, at Athens, Ohio.  In this institution he devoted his time until reaching the senior year.  He read medicine under Dr. Lash, of Athens, graduated from the Ohio Medical College, of Cincinnati, in 1873, and at once took up the practice of his profession in Jackson, where success has attended his deserving efforts, and he is now in partnership with Dr. C. K. CrumitDr. Williams' political affiliations are in behalf of the Republican party, but he is no aspirant for office.  In religion he is a Presbyterian, and in secret order a Mason.  He was married June 26, 1873, to Anna, daughter of Hon. T. L. Hughes, of Oak Hill, Jackson Co., Ohio.  Two children have been born to them - Lloyd and Anna.
Source: History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884 - Page 585

NOTES:

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
JACKSON COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights