GOOD HOPE EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN CHURCH, OSAGE,
JEFFERSON CO., OHIO
was formed of part of the North Western Territory in 1802.
The first settlement made by white men within its borders was
that of the German Moravian missionaries in 1773. The
second was that of New Englanders at Marietta in 1788. The
first Lutherans of Ohio, so far as we can learn, were the
families of Gerge Ostertaag, Martin
Ostertag, and George Bauer from Fayette
County, Pennsylvania, who took up lands near Osage in 1800.
When John Reinhard came from Washington County in
1804, he found that five other German families had located in
this community before him. the first Lutheran settlements
were made in Jefferson, Harrison, Columbia, Stark, Montgomery,
Pickaway, and Fairfield counties, and their oldest church was
Good Hope of sage, organized provisionally in 1804 and
permanently in 1805. In the Lutheran Standard of
January 29, 1851, John Reinhard gives the
following account of this organization:
"In the year of our Lord 1804, I and my family, in connection
with three other families, moved to Jefferson County in the
State of Ohio ..... Having no minister to break unto us the
bread of life... we agreed to meet every Sunday for the purpose
of mutual edification by reading, singing and prayer. Soon
after this the Rev. Father Stauch, whose
former hearers we were and who may be called the father of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Ohio, visited and encouraged us.
He organized us into a congregation under the name of Good Hope,
and the following brethren were elected as officers:
Balthaser Kolb, David Reidnauer,
Andrew Alt, and John Reinhard....."
This venerable congregation, first born among the Evangelical
Lutheran congregations of Ohio, was founded by Pennsylvania
Germans in 1804. The first of these Germans arrived in
April, 1800. The official record shows that the permanent
organization of Good Hope Church was effected by Pastor
Johannes Stauch in 1805.
The first families of this church were: Andrew
Alt, Martin Grimm, John Heits,
Friedrich Cleckner, Balthaser Kolb,
George Ostertag, Martin, Ostertag,
John Reider, David Reidnauer,
John Reinhard, Adam Zinder. Since
the church had no regular minister, John Reinhard
served as the parish catechist. Rev. Stauch
gave them service every eight weeks. Pastors
Paul Henkel, George Forester and
Andreas Simon vested them occasionally. In
1812, Rev. John Reinhard was licensed ahd served
them from that date until 1825. He died Jun 6, 1861 and is
buried in Good Hope cemetery. The grave stones show that
Martin Ostertag lived to be 84; George
Ostertag, 87; Balthaser Kolb, 90; Andreas
Alt, 82; Friedrich Kleckner, 100; David
Reidnauer, 80; John Reinhard, 89. A
log church was built in 1807 on land secured from Martin
Zwuedert. Mr. Zwuedert, whose
children spelled their names Swickard, was one of the
Hessians captured at Trenton. His services as a teamster
in the Sandusky Expedition of Col. Crawford were
such that he was given section of government land as a reward.
This land grant, signed by Thomas Jefferson, is
still in the possession of the Swickard family.
He was a member of Good Hope until 1815, when he helped the
Methodists to found Tabor church. 1816 was a bad year for
the church as a question of land title was raised. Up
until this time the Reformed and Lutherans had worshipped in the
old log church. The Reformed moved the church to a new
site near Shelly's school house, while the Lutherans raised a
fund of $429.2, and built a small frame church in the cemetery.
The old record gives the names of the following persons as
subscribers to this fund: Mrs. Marie Adams, Andreas
Alt, Benjamin Armstrong, Daniel Arnhold, John(n)? Bauer, Jacob
Bender, Elizabetha Bender, Conrad Billman, Karl Brods, Jacob
Eberhard, Petrus Haushalter, Heinrich Haut, Geroge Haut,
Christian Haut, Jacob Haut, Christian Heits, Michael Heits,
George Heits, Johannes Heits, Michael Kasmer, Friedrich Kleckner,
Jacob Kneisley, August Kolb, Jnas Kraf, Jacob Kraf, Petrus Kraf,
George Lang, Emmanuel Ludwig, Benjamin Mehbel, George Meyer,
Jacob Moschrosch, Jonas Nothstein, Martin Ostertag, Christian
Ostertag, Jacob Ostertag, David Reidnauer, John Reider, George
Reider, John Reinhard, Joseph Roth, Gabriel Schweinford, Jacob
Stembel, Paulus Sterm, Christian striby, Joh. George Wile,
Daniel Zwuedert, Mrs. Maria Zwuedert.
The following is a list of pastorates: Rev. Johanns Stauch,
1804 - 1812; Rev. John Reinhard, 1812-1825; Rev. James
Manning, 1825-1839; Rev. Benjamin Pope,
1839-1843; Rev. Amos. Bartholomew, 1843-1848; Rev.
George Baughman, 1849-1850; Rev. Dennis
Swaney, 1850-1853; Rev. David Sparks,
1853-1859; Rev. James Manning (second term),
1859-1864; Rev. Jacob Singer, 1864-1869; Supplies,
1869-1878; Rev. A. H. Kinnard, 1878-1882; Rev. C. L.
Holoway, 1884-1886; Rev. A. H. Kinnard,
1878-1882; Rev. C. L. Holloway, 1884-1886; Rev.
J. F. Booher, 1887-1889; Rev. Owen Reber,
1890-1893; Rev. E. J. Meissner, 1896-1897; Supplies
1897-1908; Rev. C. E. Read, 1908-1912; Rev. J. C. F.