OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 
Welcome to
Lucas County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


 

BIOGRAPHIES

* Source:
Portrait & Biographical Record
of
City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio.
Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company
1895

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1895 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

WILLIAM ACERS is a well-to-do farmer of Sylvania Township, Lucas County.  He owns a place comprising forty-seven acres on section 11, and htis he has improved by erecting good buildings and a pleasant and commodious residence.  He has been the owner of this property since 1866, and is therefore numbered among the old settlers of Sylvania Township.  For several years he served as School director, and in many other ways has manifested his interest in public affairs.
     The birth of William Acres occurred Aug. 31, 1834, in the state of New York.  He received a good education for those days, and remained at home until about 1858, when he started for California in search of a fortune.  For eight years he worked industriously on the Pacific Slope, and managed to clear a fair amount.  On returning to Ohio in 1866, he bought the land which he still cultivates.
     In December, 1866, Mr. Acers and Lucilla Corbett Green were united in marriage.  Her parents were Dr. Horace and Catherine (Tucker) Green, natives of Massachusetts.  They emigrated to the Buckeye State at a very early day, but after staying here for two years removed to Buffalo, N. Y.  Of their five children, only three are yet living, namely:  Mrs. Acers; Charles, born Feb. 22, 1845, and now a member of the Toledo Produce Exchange;  and Estella, born Oct. 25, 1847, the wife of Dallas Randall.  Horace, the twin brother of Mrs. Acers, born Mar. 28, 1843, in Sylvania, died at the age of three years.  The eldest-born of our subject and wife died in infancy; Elliott, their only surviving child, born July 1, 1869, lives at home; Archie, born Sept. 6, 1871, died Oct. 6, 1881.  The next died in infancy unnamed; and Stella, born July 25, 1883, died when six weeks old.
     The parents of William Acers were Elliott and Rosanna (House) Acers.  The former was born May 1, 1809, and died May 11, 1885, his remains being placed in the Sylvania Cemetery.  His widow, who is still living, was born Dec. 5, 1807, in New York State, and is a daughter of Isaac and Katie (Ackley) House, natives of Germany.  The father was killed by the caving in of a gravel bank, when Mrs. Acers was a mere child, and afterward his widow married again.  He was the father of six children, namely: Mrs. Katie Wright, who died leaving three children; Mrs. Margaret Muckey, also deceased; Mrs. Betsy Cassady, of New York State; James and Benjamin, twins, and also residents of the Empire State; and Mrs. Acers.  The latter was first married to John Randolph, who died a short time subsequently, leaving two children: Catherine, who married David Stout, and died in August, 1880; and Henry, born Feb. 16, 1832.  He lives with his mother, as he has never married, and has traveled extensively during his life.  To the union of Elliott Acers and wife for children were born:  William, whose history is here given: Margaret, born Jan. 26, 1837; Electa, who was born July 15, 1839, and married Washington Leonardson, of Britton, Mich.; and Mary J., born Jan. 7, 1844, the wife of Werter Shaffer, of North Baltimore.  Margaret married Howard Shaffer, who died Mar. 5, 1894, and she is now living on the old homestead with her mother.
     In August, 1844, Elliott Acers moved to Ohio, locating on the tract of land now managed by his widow.  There were no buildings on the farm, and but little of it had been cleared.  He industriously set to work and brought it into its present condition of fertility and thrift.  For five years he was absent in California, during the craze for gold, but after paying his expenses had little left with which to return home.  Like his son William he was a good Republican, and served as School Director.  He was a great worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and fraternally was a member of the Sons of Temperance.  The maternal grandfather of Mrs. Rosanna Acers, Henry Ackley, was a Captain in the War of the Revolution.  At one time his wife, with her three children, was hidden by a friendly Indian in the woods for three days, during a massacre of the white settlers, but two of the children, notwithstanding, were scalped by the redmen.  A son Jacob, was stolen by the Indians at the age of five years, and was kept a captive for eight years.  When the boy was found by his father he was as wild and uncivilized as any of the savages.  He had been marked by his captors, who cut the tops of his ears, letting them hung down.  Mrs. Rosanna Acers is one of the pioneer women of this county, and well remembers when the Indians were very numerous here.  Among her trophies of old days she has some blankets which she wove herself, and which are seventy-two years old.  She has been a life-long member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and an active worker in the same, as was also her late husband from early boyhood to the time of his death.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 289
PROF. HARRY C. ADAMS, a well known and successful educator, is Principal of Central High School of Toledo.  He has held his present responsible position since 1886, during which time he has greatly systematized and perfected the course of study and instruction in the high school.
     Professor Adams is a native of Huron County, Ohio, his birth having occurred Dec. 24, 1860.  His parents were Lyman and Samantha (Wortman) Adams, the former a native of New York State, while the latter was born in Ohio. Lyman Adams was of English descent, and was the son of Elijah Adams, who removed from Massachusetts to Vermont, and later became a resident of New York State.
     H. C. Adams is one of five children, his two brothers and two sisters being as follows:  Albert M., Charles J., Carrie and Jennie.  He received a good common-school education and prepared for college at Monroeville, Ohio.  Later he entered the Ohio University at Athens, from which he graduated in the Class of '81.  He then began his career as a teacher at Monroeville, where he had charge of the grammar school.  Afterwards he was promoted to the principalship of the high school at Napoleon, Ohio.  Coming to Toledo in 1883, he took a similar post at the Webster Grammar School.  Under his direction pupils do thorough and first class work, a fact which is recognized by many of he leading colleges of the state and country.  The enrolled attendance of the pupils at the Central High School is over five hundred, and the Principal is assisted by twelve teachers.
     Professor Adams is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Public Library, and is connected with several of its committees.  He is also a prominent and active member of the Round Table Club, and is a personal friend of the great historian and lecturer, John Fiske, whom he was influential in getting to deliver a number of his popular lectures before the Toledo public in 1892-93.
     In December, 1883, Professor Adams married Miss Addie McWilliams, a talented and accomplished young lady of Napoleon, this state, and a daughter of Charles McWilliams, an old resident of that place.  A son and daughter have been born to our subject and wife, and are called, respectively, Robert L. and Laura.  The home of the Adams family is at No. 2258 Parkwood Avenue.  In questions of political moment Mr. Adams is always to be found on the side of the Republican party.  In March, 1895, he was admitted to the Bar, and will shortly enter actively into the practice of the legal profession, a step which will cause regret to the many friends of education in this vicinity.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 334
JOHN ADAMS

Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 23

JOHN Q. ADAMS

Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 39

JOHN AMES, who until January, 1895, was Secretary and manager of the Ames-Bonner Company, of Toledo, is a son of John Ames, Sr., a native of the Empire State, who passed the greater part of his active business career at Lansingburg, N. Y., where he engaged in the manufacture of brushes.  He died in 1892, at the good old age of seventy-two.  He was of English and Irish descent, and was a son of Richard Ames, who was a native of New England and the first brush-maker in the United States.  About 1840 James Ames, Sr., married Miss Harriet Sonn, who was also born in New York, and was of French and German extraction.
     Born in the same state as were his parents, our subject first saw the light of day in Rensselaer County, Apr. 18, 1845.  His youth was passed on Lansingburg, where he received the advantages of a common-school education.  He pursued his higher studies at the academy of Troy, N. Y., there finishing his education.  He then entered his father's office and assisted in the factory, becoming thoroughly acquainted with all departments of the business.  In 1879 Mr. Ames came to Toledo and for three years was connected with the firm of A. L. Sonn & Co., at the end of which time he retired from the business.  In 1882 he became a partner in the Ames-Bonner Company, and started in earnest to build up a trace in brushes.   Success crowned his efforts, and the firm soon became known as a reliable and substantial one.  He severed his connection as Secretary and manager of the concern in January, 1895, however, and has not yet entered upon any other business venture.
     Mr. Ames has been twice married, his first union having been celebrated in 1866 with Rebecca Howlitt, of Lansingburg, N. Y., who died in 1878.  They became the parents of one son, Charles H., who died at the age of six weeks.  The lady who now bears the name of our subject was formerly Miss Florence Irvine, one of Toledo's accomplished daughters.  Mr. and Mrs. Ames have one child, Edna Florence.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 336
JAMES ANDREWS is a prominent and successful farmer of Sylvania Township, Lucas County, his home being on section 11.  He has served this community as School Director for twenty years, and has held the office of Road Commissioner for several terms.  A native of Devonshire, England, he was born May 10, 1830, and was only five years of age when he came to make a permanent home in America.  The voyage across the Atlantic was made in the packet-ship "Cosmopolite," about six weeks being spent on the water.
     The parents of our subject were William and Elizabeth (Cory) Andrews, both natives of England.  The father, who was a farmer by occupation, brought a certain sum of money with him to the New World, and invested this in the homestead now owned by our subject.  He reared a family of twelve children, the eldest of whom, Samuel, died in England.  William died in 1885, in Canada; John, who was married and had a family, was drowned in Raisin River, near Palmyra, Mich., in 1848; Mrs. Jane Farrel, a widow, is now a resident of Hudson, Mich.; Mrs. Susan Palmer died about 1848; Thomas, a resident of this county, was summoned to the home beyond about 1845; Elizabeth married Addison Brainard, a farmer now of Monroe County, Mich.; Lucy married Michael Moran, and died in 1889, in Hudson, Mich., leaving a family to mourn her loss; Samuel is married and is a printer in Toledo; Matthew, also of Toledo, is an employe of the Michigan Central Railroad; and James completes the family, as one died in infancy.
     The father of James Andrews died in May, 1852, and after surviving him for six years, his wife was also called to her final rest.  The homestead of forty-seven acres was let by will to our subject, and it yet remains in his possession.  June 20, 1853, he was united in marriage with Angeline, daughter of William and Emily (Beckwith) Beach, natives of Connecticut and New York, respectively.  The former, a cooper by trade, came to Sylvania in 1852, and continued to work at his vocation for several years.  Mrs. Andrews was born May 5, 1833.  Her brothers and sisters are as follows:  Edward, who died about 1847; Elizabeth, wife of David Baker, of New York State; Mrs. Hulda Lewis, of Michigan; Malcolm, a cooper by trade, and a resident of Toledo; Marshall, who is a member of the same craft, and is now living in Memphis, Tenn.; and Estella, wife of Harvey Cassady, of Kansas.
     Of the eleven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Andrews, only six are now living.  Josephine, the eldest, born June 16, 1854, is the wife of Joseph Disatell, of Ohio; Frances E., Mrs. Litsey, born Mar. 16, 1856, is now living in Hudson, Michigan; Mrs. Florence E. Frost, of Sylvania, was born Mar. 6, 1858; Hattie L., Mrs. Cooper, also of this place was born Mar. 21, 1860; William E., born Mar. 15, 1862, died Sept. 8, 1870; Marshall H., born Mar. 10, 1865, lives at home; Lorin D., born Mar. 31, 1867, died Sept. 23, 1868; Samuel E., born Sept. 25, 1869, died May 6, 1871; Mabel B., born May 9, 1872, died Oct. 7, 1878; Godfrey J., born July 16, 1874, is now at home; and Maggie L., born May 30, 1876, was accidentally killed Sept. 22, 1887.
     Fraternally Mrs. Andrews is identified with the Masonic lodge of Sylvania.  For years he has been a stanch Republican, and interested in the welfare of his party.  He is temperate in all his habits, and takes just pride in the fact that he has never used any stimulants.  He received a fair education, and is well informed on general and practical topics of the day.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 153
CHESTER A. ARTHUR

Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 96

WILLIAM H. ATWILL.   Among the well known residents of this city may be mentioned our subject, who is one of her native born sons, and has been connected with her history for a period of over thirty years, his birth having occurred in 1859.  He is at present engaged in the drug business on the corner of Cherry and Huron Streets, where he has a well fitted and well stocked establishment and is receiving a liberal patronage.
     Our subject's father, William H. Atwill, a native of England, emigrated to this country when a young man.  His first settlement was made in Oswego, N. Y., where his marriage occurred, the lady of his choice being previous to her marriage Miss Mary Hortigan.  She survived her husband several years, her death occurring in Toledo in 1886.
     In 1852 William Atwill, Sr., with his family, removed from New York State to this city, where he organized the Union Silver Band, later known as the Milversted Band, and which on its organization was composed of some of the best citizens of Toledo.  He continued to reside here until his death, which occurred in 1877.  An active business man, energetic and progressive, he was for some time prominently identified with the manufacturing interests of Toledo.  Upon disposing of these interests he accepted the appointment of United States Deputy-Marshal for the Northern District of Ohio, including the Department of the Lakes.  He afterward acted in the capacity of agent for the Union Express Company, and while in their employ was appointed to a position in the Railway Mail Service, a post which he held for a period of sixteen years.  He was severely wounded in a railroad accident, and the injuries there sustained eventually resulted in his death.
     The second in a family of six children, all of whom attained years of maturity, our subject passed the days of his boyhood and youth in the excellent public schools of this city, and later attended the German Jesuit School.  On leaving school he became an employe of Shaw & Baldwin, in a wholesale dry-goods and notion business, and we next find him in the United States Mail Service, his run being between Cleveland and Chicago, Ill., which position he held seven years.  He afterward became connected with the Lake Shore & Michigan Central, serving first in the freight department, and was in the employ of this company for two years.  In the year 1889 he became bookkeeper in the city gas office.  In 1894 he embarked in the drug business, which he has since so successfully conducted, and in which he has proven himself a pharmacist worthy of the respect and confidence of the people.
     An important event in the life of our subject was his marriage with Miss Anna Pilliod, which event occurred June 5, 1888.  Mrs. Atwill is a daughter of Francis Pilliod, at one time a prominent farmer of northern Ohio.  Later he engaged in a grocery business in Shelby County, and in the '50s came to Toledo, where he made his home and was very prosperous financially until his death, which occurred in 1883.  To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Atwill were born three children, Marie, William H. and Francis, who are all living.
     Socially our subject is a member of the Order or Elks, and is also connected with the Columbus Club, in which he is serving as Director.  He was a member of the Toledo Cadets for ten years and is now a member of the Veteran Cadets.  He and his family occupy a very pleasant residence at No. 1019 Huron Street, and are much esteemed for their many worthy qualities.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 235
JUDGE DAVID R. AUSTIN was born in Willoughby, Lake County, Ohio, in 1836.  His father, Andrew Yates Austin, one of the pioneers of Ohio, was born at New Haven, Conn., and was a son of John P. Austin, of English descent.  His mother was before her marriage Miss Susan (Tennant) Rogers, who was born in Doylestown, Bucks County, Pa.  In a family fight children, seven sons and one daughter, the Judge is the third in order of birth.
    On completing his elementary education, which was acquired at the common schools of his native village, Willoughby, Judge Austin attended the academy at Warren, Mass., for a year, and afterward completed his academic course at the Western Reserve Seminary at Kirtland, Ohio, after which he taught school for several years at Maumee City, Ohio.  In 1858 Judge Austin came to Toledo and read law in the office of Hon. Morrison R. Waite, late Chief Justice of the United States, and was admitted to the Bar in Lucas County in 1860, after which he began his professional career, and has continued in the practice of law at Toledo ever since.
     In 1862 our subject enlisted in defense of the Union, and was made First Lieutenant of the One Hundredth Ohio Infantry, and with his regiment entered the field in August, 1862.  He served with his regiment on staff duty in Kentucky and Tennessee until the fall of 1863, when he was discharged on account of disability.  He then returned to Toledo and resumed the practice of his profession. 
     In 1861 our subject married Julia Gregory, of Maumee City, who died in 1864.  In 1875 he married for the second wife Anna M. Prentiss, of Columbus, Ohio, a daughter of the late S. V. Prentiss of that city.  His family consists of his wife and two daughters.
     In 1873 Judge Austin was elected Probate Judge of Lucas County for a term of three years, on the expiration of which he was re-elected for a second term.  Declining a unanimous nominations for a third term, he resumed the practice of his profession.
     In 1891 Judge Austin was appointed by President Harrison Collector of Customs for the District of Miami, Ohio, with headquarters at Toledo, which office he now holds.  Politically the Judge is a Republican.  He is President of the Toledo Medical College, is a member of Toledo Post NO. 107, G. A. R., and also a member of the military order of the Loyal Legion.  He was Judge Advocate General of the Grand Army of the Republic during the administrations of Commanders in Chief Russell A. Alger and John S. Kountz.  He is a member of Sanford L. Collins, Lodge F. & A. M.; Toledo Commandery No. 7, K. T., and also a member of the Scottish Rite, Thirty-second Degree.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Record of City of Toledo and Lucas and Wood Counties, Ohio. Chicago: Chapman Publishing Company, 1895 ~ Page 501

 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
LUCAS COUNTY, OHIO
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights