A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to
Mahoning County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties
with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Vol. I
Publ. Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bro. 1882


Chapter XVIII

Pg. 209

     Among the early settlers of the southeastern part of the Western Reserve, now Trumbull and Mahoning counties, were five young lawyers from the State of Connecticut, who gained distinction in their profession and became prominent and honored citizens of Ohio.  They were John S. Edwards, who came in 1799 from New Haven; George Tod and Calvin Pease, in 1800, from Suffield; Homer Hine, in 1801, from New Milford, and Elisha Whittlesey, in 1806, from Danbury.
     Mr. Edward became a resident of Warren, was the first recorder of Trumbull county, and was elected a member of Congress and died in 1813 before taking his seat.  The others became residents of (the present) Mahoning county.  Mr. Pease came to Youngstown in 1800, was its first postmaster in 1802, resided there for about three years, removed to Warren and died there in 1839, aged sixty=three years.  Mr. Tod came to Youngstown, made it his permanent home, and died there in 1841, aged sixty-seven years.  Mr. Hine came to Canfield, removed to Youngstown in 1806, resided there until his death in July, 1856, aged eighty years.  Mr. Whittlesey came to Canfield in 1806, resided there until his death in January, 1863, age nearly eighty years.  Another young lawyer, Samuel Huntington, afterwards the third Governor of Ohio elected by the people, came from Norwich, Connecticut, to Youngstown in 1800, remained there a few months, and after visiting other parts of the State removed his family in 1801 from Connecticut to Youngstown, resided there some time and then removed to Cleveland, where he resided until 1809, when he removed to Painesville, where he died in 1817, aged fifty-two years.


     The county of Mahoning was organized in 1840, with the county seat at Canfield.  The first regular term of the common pleas court was held in the Methodist Episcopal church, in Canfield, in the Methodist Episcopal church, in Canfield, on May 11th of that year.  Eben Newton, of Canfield, was president judge, and James Wallace, of Springfield, James Brownlee, of Poland, and Lemuel Bingham, of Ellsworth, were associates.  James Powers, of Milton, was sheriff,
*By John M. Edwards, Esq.

[Pg. 209
and William Ferguson, of Youngstown, prosecuting attorney.  Henry Canfield, who had been appointed clerk pro tem. at a prior special court, held by the associates, was clerk.  On the last day of the term, William W. Whittlesey, of Canfield, was elected clerk for five years, and gave bond in the sum of $10,000.
     There were nineteen cases on the docket when it was called on the opening of the court.  The term continued three days, and upon the adjournment of court there were thirty-seven cases on the docket.  No case was tried to a jury; one judgment was rendered on confession.  Partition of real estate was ordered in one case, and, on petition of a guardian in another, real estate was ordered to be sold.  Eight wills were proved, and the executors therein named received letters testamentary.  Administrators were appointed on eleven estates, and eight guardians of minors were appointed.  By request of the sheriff, Ransford Percival and John C. Fitch were appointed his deputies.  The court appointed John M. Edwards, Robert W. Tayler, and James B. Blocksom master commissioners in chancery; Hiram A. Hall, John M. Edwards, and Reuben McMillen school examiners, and John Kirk and Andrew Gardiner.
     This first term of court in the new county was attended not only by the lawyers of the county, but by citizens from all parts of the county, and lawyers and others from neighboring counties; and during the three days of the term and town presented an appearance of great bustle and business activity.  The terms of court following were held in that church until the fall term of 1847, which was held in the court-house erected by the citizens of Canfield and then ready for occupancy.
     In August, 1876, the county-seat was removed to Youngstown, a full account of which is given in chapter XI.


     The first term after the removal of the court of common pleas was held in the new court-house at Youngstown.  It commenced September 10th, and adjourned Dec. 19, 1876.  Hon. Philip B. Conant, of Ravenna, was judge; Henry B. Sheilds, clerk; John R. Davis, sheriff, and Charles R. Truesdale, prosecuting attorney.  The number of civil cases on the docket, when court opened, were six hundred and seventy-four, criminal cases forty-eight, total seven hundred and twenty-two.  At the close of the term, including those disposed of, the number of civil cases was nine hundred and fifty-three, criminal cases one hundred and thirty-five, total one thousand and eighty-eight.  The total one thousand and eighty-eight.  The total number of civil cases commenced since the organization of the county, at the opening of the September term, 1881, was twelve thousand and twenty.

     GEORGE TOD, the pioneer lawyer of Youngstown, and one of the earliest lawyers of the Reserve, was born in Suffield, Connecticut, Dec. 11, 1773.  He was a son of David and Rachel (Kent) Tod.  He gradated at Yale college in 1795.  Subsequently he taught school at New Haven, Connecticut; read law at the law school of Judge Reeves, in Litchfield, Connecticut, and was admitted to the bar.  He was married at New Haven in October, 1797, to Miss Sally Isaacs, who was born Jan. 12, 1778, and was a daughter of Ralph and Mary Isaacs.  Their two oldest children, Charlotte L. and Jonathan I. Tod, were there born.  In 1800 he came to Youngstown, Ohio; returned to Connecticut, and in 1801 he removed with his wife and children to Youngstown.
     At the first territorial court of Trumbull county, held in August, 1800, he was appointed prosecuting attorney.  The following is a copy of the record of the court journal:  "The court appointed George Tod, Esq., to prosecute the pleas of the United States the present session, who took the oath of office."
     At that term of the court the grand jury returned a bill of indictment for murder against Joseph McMahon, for shooting Captain George, an Indian, at the Salt springs, on the 20th of July preceding, and he was tried at a special court held at Youngstown in September following, Mr. Tod appearing in behalf of the United States as prosecuting attorney.
     During the first year of his residence in Ohio he was appointed, by Governor St. Clair, Territorial secretary.
     In April, 1802, at the first township election held at Youngstown, upon the admission of Ohio as a State into the union, he was elected township clerk, and re-elected in 1803 and 1804.  In 1804-05 he was Senator from Trumbull county in the State Legislature, again in 1810-1811.  In 1806 he was elected a judge of the supreme court of the State.  In the War of 1812 he was commissioned major and afterwards colonel of the Nineteenth regiment of Ohio militia, and served with distinction at Fort Meigs and Sackett's Harbor.  In 1815 he was elected president judge of the court of common pleas of the old third circuit, which then comprised a large part of the counties of the Reserve, and held the office until 1829.  He was elected prosecuting attorney of Trumbull county in 183_ and held the office for one term.
     After leaving the bench, except when attending to his duties as prosecutor, he retired in a measure from practice and devoted  his attention to the care of his large farm, at Brier Hill, in the north part of the township of Youngstown; the farm which afterwards became so celebrated for its deposit of fine mineral coal, developed by his son, the late Governor David Tod.
     He died at Brier Hill Apr. 11, 1841.  As a lawyer and a judge he ranked among the first in the State of Ohio; as a citizen was held in the highest regard.  His estimable wife survived him a few years, and died at Brier Hill Sept. 29, 1847.

[Page 210]

     SAMUEL HUNTINGTON was born in Norwich, Connecticut, in 1765.  He graduated at Yale college in 1785.  He read law, was admitted to the bar, and practiced law several years in his native town.  In 1800, at the instance of owners of land on the Reserve, he visited Ohio, reaching Youngstown the 25th of July, making the journey on horseback.  He visited different portions of the Reserve east of the Cuyahoga river, and was so well pleased with the country that he determined to settle there.  He also visited Marietta, Ohio, the official residence of Governor St. Clair, and the Territorial court being in session he was admitted to the bar of Ohio.  He was present, as tradition says, with Governor St. Clair at the trial, in September, 1800, in Youngstown, of Joseph McMahon, for shooting Captain George, an Indian, at the Salt Springs, as counsel, but on which side, or as advisory counsel with Governor St. Clair, it does not relate.  He returned to Norwich on horseback in the fall.  Early in the following spring he returned to Youngstown with his wife, who was a daughter of Andrew Huntington, of Norwich, to which he was married about 1793, and his young family, in a covered wagon.  He remained a year or more in Youngstown, and then removed to Cleveland, Ohio.  During his residence in Youngstown in 1801, he was appointed by Governor St. Clair lieutenant-colonel of the Trumbull county militia, and on Jan. 19, 1802, was commissioned a justice of the court of quarter sessions, of which, at the request of the other judges, he became the presiding officer.  In 1802 he was elected a member from Trumbull county of the convention which formed the first constitution of Ohio, and on the adoption of the constitution he was elected Senator from Trumbull county, in the first General Assembly, which convened in Chillicothe, in March, 1803.  On Apr. 2, 1804, he was elected by the Legislature a judge of the supreme court, then newly formed, his commission, signed by Governor Tiffin, being the first issued in the name of the State of Ohio.  He was elected Governor in 1808, and served one term of two years, when he retired to his farm near Painesville, which he had purchased in 1807.  He was Representative from Geauga county in the State Legislature in 1811-12.  He was appointed district paymaster with the rank of colonel in 1812, and remained two years with the Northwestern army, after which he returned to his farm.  He died of consumption at Painesville in February, 1817.  A biography says: "His business capacity was of a high order, as was shown by his executing so well the duties of many responsible offices.  He bore the reputation of being a man of spotless character."
Source:  History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches Vol. I - Mahoning Co., Publ. Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bro. 1882 - Page 206

     CALVIN PEASE was born in Suffield, Hartford county, Connecticut, Sept. 9, 1776.  He was admitted to
the bar in Hartford in 1798; practiced law in Connecticut until March, 1800, when he removed to Youngstown, Ohio, and commenced practice.  He was appointed postmaster of Youngstown Jan. 1, 1802; was the first postmaster of that place, and held the office until his removal to Warren in 1803.  He was also, in 1802, elected township trustee of Youngstown.  He was appointed clerk of the court of common pleas of Trumbull county, at its first session in August, 1800, and held the office for a few years.  He was subsequently elected judge of the common pleas and of the supreme court, and Representative and Senator in the Ohio Legislature.  In 1804 he was married to Miss Risley, of Washington city.  He died at Warren, Ohio, Sept. 17, 1839.  A more full biographical notice will be found in the history of the bar of Trumbull county.

[Page 211]

     PERLEE BRUSH was a pioneer lawyer of the Reserve, and a man of considerable note in the early days, yet authentic and definite information as to his early history appears in a great measure wanting.  He was born in Connecticut, graduated at Yale college in 1793, read law in Connecticut, and was there admitted to the bar.  He removed to Ohio at an early day, was a member of Trumbull county bar, resided for many years at or near Youngstown, and afterwards in Hubbard, Trumbull county.  We learn, by tradition, that he taught a school at the center of Youngstown prior to 1805, and it is said that he was the pioneer school teacher of Youngstown.  There are persons now living in Youngstown, or who were born there, who were his pupils in a log school house in the southern part of the township as early as about 1814.  They remember that in addition to his duties as a teacher, he practiced law in justices' courts in the vicinity, and also to some extent in the higher courts at Warren.
     In 1826 he purchased a farm of about one hundred acres of land in Hubbard, on which he afterwards resided.  A gentleman of that place thus writes concerning him:
 A small stream, called Yankee Run, flowed through his land, on which there was an old-fashioned carding machine and fulling mill, which he operated for about a year, and then turned his attention to his farm.  He lived exclusively by himself and boarded himself until his health began to fail when he went to board with a neighbor, still lodging at home.  He was a fine scholar; could talk, read, and write the Greek, Latin, and Hebrew languages as well as he could English, and it was said he was well versed in the principles of law.  He died in 1852, aged about eighty-four years.

     HOMER HINE was born in New Milford, Connecticut, July 25, 1776.  His great-grandfather, who was among the early settlers of Milford, in New Haven county, Connecticut, is said to have emigrated from Ireland, and the family were supposed to have settled in Ireland during the time of Cromwell, from Scotland or England, and were of the class known as Scotch-Irish.  His grandfather, James Hine, was born in Milford in 1696, removed in early manhood to New Milford, among the first settlers of that place, and there married Margaret Noble, who was carried there when quite a child, and was the first white female that set foot in that place.  James Hine was a respectable farmer, lived to the age of seventy eight years, and died in 1774, leaving two sons, Austin and Noble, and several daughters.  Noble was a fore-handed farmer, and, during the Revolutionary war, was a colonel of the Connecticut militia.  He died in 1795, leaving three sons, one of whom was Homer, the subject of this sketch, and six daughters, the youngest of whom, Sophia, was afterwards the wife of Rev. Charles A. Boardman, a clergyman of eminence, and for many years pastor of the First Presbyterian church of Youngstown, Ohio.
     Homer Hine, after a preparatory course in the schools of New Milford, entered Yale college, and graduated in 1797 in a class of thirty-seven.  Among his class-mates were Horatio Seymour, United States Senator from Vermont; Henry Baldwin, judge of United States Supreme court; Rev. Dr. Lyman Beecher, and many others of prominence.  The first year after his graduation he spent pleasantly at Stockbridge, Massachusetts, as preceptor of an academy.  Miss Catharine Sedgwick, a celebrated authoress, was one of his pupils.  He read law during that year with Judge Sedgwick, her father.  The next year he read law with P. Ruggles in New Milford, and during the year 1800 he attended the law school of Judges Reeve and Gould at Litchfield, Connecticut.  He was admitted to the bar in Litchfield in 1801.
     In June, 1801, he removed to Canfield, Ohio.  The journey was made on horseback over the mountains and through Pittsburg, carrying his wardrobe in his saddlebags.  His small library of law books were brought in an ox-wagon which was bringing out the household goods of Benjamin Tappan, who, with his wife and sister-in-law, Miss Wright, were moving from New England to locate a new home in Ravenna, Ohio.
     The whole Reserve then formed one county, and contained six or eight hundred inhabitants.  In view of its wonderful growth in population and improvement otherwise, in 1848 Mr. Hine, writing to an old classmate, Rev. Dr. James Murdock, says:
I feel constrained to bear testimony to the beneficial effects of home missionary labor in the new settlements.  At first it was the general custom for the settlers to spend the Sabbath in hunting, or to come together for a drinking frolick and engage in all kinds of sport.  Even those who had left New England as professors of religion seemed so far carried away by the influence of example as to conclude that the Sabbath was not binding in the wilderness.  The missionaries immediately commenced forming churches in the principal settlements and persuaded the people to assemble on the Sabbath and perform public worship by singing, prayer, and reading printed sermons.  This, together with occasional visits from the missionaries, soon produced a radical change in the inhabitants for good, both in a religious and moral point of view.  The few hundred dollars expended on the Reserve for missionary services has profited the country to the amount of millions.  But the real benefit is not to be measured in dollars and cents.
     In 1806 Mr. Hine removed to Youngstown, where he continued to reside until his death, in July, 1856, aged eighty years. He commenced the practice of law on his first arrival on the Reserve and continued it with good success until the age of sixty. He then declined to engage in new cases, but attended the courts for about three years in order to dispose of the cases in which he was engaged. Terms of court, in those early days, were more matters of general interest than now. The members of the bar followed the circuit on horseback over roads that were merely underbrushed and marked by blazed trees through the unbroken forests, fording rivers and streams, and giving chase occasionally to a bear or wolf, enjoying with cheerful zest the adventures of rough roads and rude fare, the latter often composed of wild game from the forests.
     The courts were frequently held under trees, or in barns, or in other rude buildings.  The lawyers, sometimes with the judges, lodged in the hay-mow of a barn.  Then with such companions as Judges Tappan, Pease, Tod, and others, and often the free circulation of a whisky decanter, they had lively, or jolly times.
     Mr. Hine was not naturally fond of litigation and, where it was practicable, advised his clients to settle, compromise, or arbitrate.  This trait of character, which many of the legal profession might regard as a weakness, was frequently of service to him when trying cases.  Many jury men and justices of the peace, when cases were on trial before them, gave more than ordinary weight to his arguments and summing up of evidence from having faith in his disposition to be just and fair in the settlement and preventing of suits at law, believing that he would be fair in his statements on the trial.
     He was four times elected to the office of Representative in the Ohio Legislature—in 1804, 1805, 1816, 1824.  He held the office of non-resident tax collector for five years, until the office was abolished, about 1812. He was a soldier in the War of 1812, under Colonel William Rayen. In 1805 he was appointed, by the Legislature, a commissioner to lay out a State road from Warren to such point on Lake Erie as, in his judgment, would make the most feasible route from Pittsburg to Lake Erie.  After examining the different routes, ending between Cleveland and Conneaut, he selected a route with the terminus at the mouth of Grand river, in Painesville town ship, Lake county, regarding that as the easiest on which to construct a road, and the river at Fairport, at that time, as affording the best natural harbor, on that part of Lake Erie.
     He was always a regular attendant at the meetings of the Presbyterian church, and, in the absence of a clergyman, the duty of reading a printed sermon usually devolved on him.  He was a fine reader, and he probably read more sermons to that congregation than any single clergyman ever preached to it.  He was always interested in all useful reforms, and was one of the earliest workers in the temperance reform, and from its start and for many years was president of the Youngstown Temperance society.  He was open and generous in his hospitality, especially to clergymen, so much so that among them his house was known as “The Minister's Tavern.”
     On removing to Youngstown in 1806, he purchased a frame house and two acres of land, east of the Diamond, of Robert Kyle.  This was, probably, the third frame dwelling then in the present city.  It is still standing, and occupied, although removed to another site.  On Oct. 5, 1807, he was married to Miss Mary Skinner, daughter of Abraham Skinner, of Painesville, Ohio, an emigrant in 1801 or 1802 from Connecticut, where she was born in Glastonbury, in Hartford county, Sept. 20, 1789.  In May, 1808, they began housekeeping in that house, and there resided until 1818, when he purchased a farm of one hundred and ten acres at the mouth of and on the east side of Crab creek, on which was a house large for those times, into which they removed.  It was a two-story frame dwelling, built by Colonel James Hillman, and had been occupied by him as a tavern.  It had a double front, one to the south overlooking a long reach of the Mahoning river, the other to the westward, looking through the entire length of Federal street and of the village, as it then was, to the residence of Colonel Rayen at Spring Common.  It was then, and still is one of the land marks of Youngstown, and few who have traveled through that city towards Pittsburg, will fail to recollect its position and peculiar appearance.  It is now surrounded by railroad tracks, and has been sold to a railroad company, and is occupied by it.
     Mrs. Hine, after the death of her husband in 1856, resided in that old homestead until 1872, when she removed to Painesville, where she resides with a son.  She is now (1881) in her ninety-third year, and although feeble physically is in full possession of all her mental faculties and senses, enjoys seeing her relatives and old friends, enjoys conversing about old times, takes a lively interest in the welfare of her children and descendants, as well as in politics and the progress and prosperity of her country, and is calmly and peacefully passing the evening of her days with the happy satisfaction of looking, in retrospect, on a well-spent and useful life.

[Page 213]    


]Page 214]

     HENRY J. CANFIELD was born in Connecticut.  He was son of Judson Canfield, a distinguished lawyer of that State and one of the proprietors of the township of Canfield, Ohio, to which he gave his name.  Henry J. graduated at Yale college in 1806, studied law at the celebrated law school of Judge Reeve, in Litchfield, Connecticut, was admitted to the bar in Connecticut, and shortly afterwards came to Canfield, Ohio, to take charge of his father's lands.  He was admitted to the bar of Ohio at Warren , devoted some attention to practice, but was principally engaged in farming and land surveying, in which he was skilled.  He was a large sheep grower, and published a work of great merit on The Sheep.
     On the organization of Mahoning county in 1846, at the first special court held by the judges, he was appointed clerk pro tem, of the court of common pleas, and held the office until the appointment of the clerk for the full term at the first regular term of the court held May 11th of that year.  From his arrival in Ohio his residence was in Canfield.  He there died in 1856.

     DAVID TOD was born in Youngstown, Feb. 21, 1805.  He was a son of George and Sally (Isaacs) Tod, who emigrated to Ohio from Connecticut, and were among the earliest pioneers of the Reserve.  He was admitted to the bar in Warren, Ohio, in 1827; resided there engaged in practice until 1844, when he returned to the old brier Hill farm in Youngstown, and resided there until his death on Nov. 23, 1868.  He was elected Governor of Ohio in 1861, and held other civil and military offices.  He was married at Warren, Ohio, July 24, 1843, to Miss Maria Smith, of that place, the daughter of early settlers.  She survives him.  Although he resided in Mahoning county, at the time of its organization, and was a number of its bar during his after life, he had virtually during that time retired from practice, and was engaged in extensive mining and manufacturing business.
     A more full biographical sketch appears elsewhere in this book.

[Page 215]



[Page 216]


[Page 217]

     JOHN M. EDWARDS was born in New Haven, Connecticut, Oct. 23, 1805.  He was the son of Henry W. and Lydia (Miller) Edwards, of that city.  He removed to Ohio in 1832; admitted to the bar in New Haven in 1826, and afterwards at Warren, Ohio.  He is now practicing in Youngstown, Ohio.  A more full biography will be found in another part of this work.

     WILLIAM G. MOORE was born Jan. 7, 1832, at Freedom, on the north bank of the Ohio river, in Beaver county, Pennsylvania.  His parents were Edwin and Mary A. Moore.  They were natives of Balnamore, county Leitrim, Ireland, and emigrated to the United States in 1829, resided a few years in Pennsylvania, and then removed to Youngstown.
     In March, 1845, he commenced the study of law in the office of Jon Crowell, in Warren, Ohio, and subsequently read law with Robert W. Tayler late first comptroller of the United States treasury, at Youngstown.  He was admitted to the bar by the supreme court in 1847, and in December, 1854, was admitted to the bar of the supreme court of the United States.
     In 1847 he commenced the practice of law at Youngstown as partner of R. W. Tayler, which partnership continued until Mr. Tayler assumed the office of cashier of the Mahoning County bank, in 1850.  He afterwards was a partner of General Thomas W. Sanderson, which continued until Mr. Sanderson joined the army in 1861.  He was afterwards in partnership with William C. Bunts, deceased, and afterwards a short time with William J. Lawthers.
     He was elected mayor of Youngstown in April, 1854, and re-elected in 1856.  In 1869 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Mahoning county, and served two years.
     He was married Mar. 18, 1852, to Miss Laura A. Andrews, born in Vienna, Trumbull county, daughter of Norman Andrews, an early settler of Trumbull county, but for many years a citizen of Youngstown, Ohio.

     DAVID M. WILSON was born in Guilford, Medina county, Ohio, July 21, 1822.  He was the second son of David and Abigail (Porter) Wilson.  His father was a native of Virginia, of Scotch-Irish descent, and his mother a native of Connecticut, of English descent.  His grandfather, Porter, was a drum-major in the war of the Revolution.  His grandfather Wilson was also a Revolutionary soldier.  His father was a soldier in the War of 1812.
     He was raised on a farm, attended the common schools until he was about sixteen years old, and then attended the Norwalk seminary, in Huron county, Ohio, for several terms, and taught school one term.  He read law with Hiram Floyd, at Medina, Ohio, and was there admitted to practice in 1844.  In 1845 he removed to Warren, Ohio, and commenced practice.  While there, for a few years, he was a partner of John W. Church, afterwards a judge of the court of common pleas, as Wilson & Church. In 1858 he removed to Youngstown, there practicing for a period in partnership with James B. Blocksom, as Wilson & Blocksom.  He was afterwards a partner of Robert G. Knight as  Wilson & Knight, and then of Halsey H. Moses as Wilson & Moses, and for a few years partner of James P. Wilson, his nephew, as Wilson & Wilson.
     In 1863 he was nominated for attorney-general of Ohio by the Democratic State convention,  and in 1874 he was nominated for Representative in Congress by the district Democratic convention.  He was not elected to either office, the ticket on which he was nominated being in the minority in both instances, but his personal popularity at home secured him many votes for each office ahead of the general ticket.
     He was married in 1846, to Miss Nancy Merril, a native of Orangeville, Wyoming county, New York.  She died in 1851.  He was again married, in 1871, to Miss Griselda Campbell, of Trumbull county, Ohio.  He died Feb. 11, 1882, at Youngstown.

[Page 218]



[Page 219]


     GEORGE TOD (second) was born in Warren, Ohio, in 1841, and was the son of David and Maria (Smith) Tod, and grandson of George Tod, the pioneer lawyer of Youngstown.  He removed, with his parents to Briar Hill, near Youngstown, in  1844.  In April, 1861, in response to the call of President Lincoln for volunteers, he enlisted as a private in the Mahoning Rifles, was of the first companies which reported for duty to the Governor.  On May 20th at Cleveland, the Rifles were made part of the Nineteenth regiment as company B.  As a private in that company and regiment he served gallantly during the term for which he enlisted.  He returned to Youngstown, read law, and was admitted to the bar at Canfield, in 1865.  He has devoted but little attention to the practice, but is, and for several years has been, largely engaged in coal and manufacturing business.


[Page 220]




[Page 221]

     ISAAC A. JUSTICE was born in Austintown, Mahoning county, Ohio, Mar. 16, 1837.  He was a son of John and Nancy (Sexton) Justice.  they were both born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and removed with their parents to Ohio about 1805, and were among the earliest pioneers of Mahoning county.  They both died at Austintown in 1881, after having spent together over sixty peaceful and prosperous years of married life.
     The subject of this biography was educated at the Mahoning academy, in Canfield.  He spent his summers from 1856 to 1860 in attending school and his winters in teaching.  He read law with S. W. Gilson, Esq., at Canfield, and was admitted to the bar in the fall of 1867, at the session of the district court in Canfield.  He soon entered into partnership with Mr. Gilson, which continued for a short time.  About 1872 he removed to Youngstown, Ohio, and has been engaged in the practice of law there since that time.
     In October 1873, and during the contest for the removal of the county seat to Youngstown, he was elected, on what was called the "removal ticket," prosecuting attorney, and held the office for one term, commencing on Jan. 7, 1874, and terminating Jan. 7, 1876.
     During the term of office of L. D. Thomas as probate judge, he tendered to Mr. Justice the appointment of school examiner of Mahoning county, a position he was amply qualified to fill, but the appointment was declined because of want of time to perform the duties of the office.  He was taken a very prominent part in the temperance movement for the past five years, and has spent much time in lecturing, and otherwise, at home and abroad, in attempting to persuade men to live sober lives.  He is now president of the Ohio Christian Temperance union.
     He was married in 1860 to Miss Dorcas Hitchcock, of Canfield, a class-mate of his at the academy, by whom he had two children, both now living.  She died in Dec., 1870.  He was again married in 1871, to Miss Helen A. Warner, of Lorain county, Ohio.  She was also his class-mate.  She died in 1881, leaving a bereaved husband and four interesting children to mourn her loss.



[Page 222]

     OTIS W. KYLE was born in Austintown, Mahoning county, Ohio, Mar. 21, 1843.  He is the oldest son of Joshua and Elizabeth Kyle.  When eighteen years old he entered Hiram college as a student, remaining four years and graduating in 1864.  He engaged as bookkeeper for the New Lisbon, Ohio, Coal company for several years.  During his residence in New Lisbon he assisted in organizing the First National bank, of which he was the first cashier.  He had been reading law at intervals for some time previous, and was admitted to the bar at New Lisbon in 1876.  He removed to Youngstown in 1879, and has since been engaged in practice in this city.
     He was married in 1871 to Miss Charlotte M., daughter of William and Almira Tibbits, and has a family of three daughters.


[Page 223]


     MASON EVANS was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Nov. 24, 1849.  His father, Owen Evans, was born in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, and resided in Philadelphia until his death in 1859.  His mother, Sarah Roe Evans, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, and now resides in Philadelphia.  He was a graduate of the law department of the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1869.  His law instructor was Aaron Thompson, of Philadelphia.  He was admitted to the bar in Philadelphia, Nov. 23, 1870.  He removed to Youngstown, Ohio, Sept. 19, 1871, and was admitted to the bar of Ohio at Warren, in 1875, and is now practicing law in partnership with General Thomas W. Sanderson, firm of Sanderson & Evans.  He was married June 8, 1876, at Youngstown, Ohio, to Miss Lucy E. Gerwig, daughter of Frederick Gerwig, of German nativity, an iron manufacturer now deceased.

     SIDNEY STRONG was born in Strongsville, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, June 12, 1839.  He read law at Columbus, Ohio, with C. N. Olds, and was there admitted to the bar in 1867.  He came to Youngstown shortly after, commenced practice, in which he still continues.
     He was married at Youngstown, Ohio, Dec. 10, 1872, to Miss Mary A. Gerlick, of that city.

     CECIL D. HINE was born Aug. 3, 1849, in Hubbard, Trumbull county, Ohio, where his parents then resided.  They were Samuel Hine, now of Poland, Ohio, who was born in Youngstown, and was a son of
Homer Hine, one of the earliest lawyers of the Reserve, and Ellen L. (Montgomery) Hine, of Coitsville, Ohio, daughter of Robert Montgomery, an early settler, and who, in 1806, built
and operated in Poland, Ohio, a furnace for making iron, one of the first furnaces in Ohio.
     He attended the Western Reserve college to the beginning of senior year.  That college has since conferred on him the degree of A. M.  He read law two years with Taylor & Jones, at Warren, Ohio, and was there admitted to the bar, by the district court of Trumbull county, Apr. 15, 1872.  He soon after commenced practice at Youngstown, where he now resides, engaged in practice.  He was married at Poland, Ohio Oct. 9, 1872, to Miss Lizzie W. Woodruff, a native of that plaze.

     MOSES H. BURKEY was born in Berlin, Mahoning county, Ohio, Sept. 15, 1846.  His parents were Jacob and Catharine Burkey, of German ancestry. He read law with F. G. Servis and G. Van Hyning, at Canfield, Ohio, was there admitted to the bar Apr. 19, 1869, practiced his profession there from that date to Aug. 20, 1876, when he removed to Youngstown, where he has since re

[Page 224]
sided engaged in practice.  He was elected mayor of Canfield in April, 1871, and held that office by subsequent elections to April, 1875.  He was married at Berlin, Oct. 23, 1870, to Miss Mary A. Burkey, of that place.

     WILLIAM S. ANDERSON was born in North Jackson, Mahoning county, Ohio, Dec. 31, 1847.  His father, David Anderson, was born in Ireland. His mother, Hannah L. (Shaw) Anderson, was of Irish descent.  He read law at Warren with Hutchins & Glidden; was admitted to the bar there Apr. 7, 1870, commenced practice shortly after in Canfield, Ohio, and removed to Youngstown in 1877, where he practiced for several years in partnership with Louis R. King, until February, 1882, when the latter commenced his term as probate judge, as Anderson & King.
     He was married Oct. 6, 1864, to Miss Louisa M. Shields, of Boardman, Ohio, daughter of Andrew Shields, one of the early citizens of the Reserve.
Source: History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties - Vol. I - Chapter IX - Mahoning Co. - Publ. Cleveland: H. Z. Williams & Bro. 1882
- Page 224

     JARED HUXLEY was born in Ellsworth, Mahoning county, Ohio, July 23, 1840.  His father, Socrates L. Huxley, was born in New Marlborough, Berkshire county, Massachusetts.  His mother, Pauline (Spaulding) Huxley, was born in Pomfret, Litchfield county, Connecticut.  They emigrated, in early life, to Ellsworth, where they now reside.  He graduated at Oberlin in 1867, read law with Charles W. Palmer in Cleveland, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar at Norwalk, Huron county, Ohio, Apr. 3, 1871.
     During the war of 1861 he was clerk in the quartermaster's department of Nashville, Tennessee, and at Mobile, Alabama.  For two years immediately preceding his admission to the bar, he was professor of mathematics and theory of accounts in Felton & Bigelow's Business college at Cleveland, and for a year prior held the same position at Star City Business college at Lafayette, Indiana.  On his admission to the bar he commenced practice at Canfield, and on the removal of the county-seat to Youngstown he removed to that city, where he is now engaged in the practice of law.

     WILLIAM T. GIBSON was born in Youngstown, Ohio, Dec. 20, 1859.  His parents were: Samuel Gibson, born in Youngstown, Mar. 17, 1819, son of one of the earliest pioneers, and Nancy J. (Gault) Gibson, born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, Sept. 25, 1825.
     He graduated at the Rayen school, of Youngstown, June 20, 1872, and at Western Reserve college, Hudson, Ohio, June 25, 1876.  He read law with George F. Arrel at Youngstown, and was admitted to bar at Warren, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1878.  He has since resided in Youngstown, and engaged in practicing law.

     BURDETTE O. EDDY was born in Windsor, Ashtabula county, Ohio, Apr. 11, 1846. He was the son of Lorenzo S. and Elizabeth (Eaton) Eddy.  They were natives of Connecticut.  On the father's side he is of Scotch descent, his paternal ancestor being an emigrant to the United States about the year 1700.  His great-grandfather was a soldier of the Revolution.  His grandfather was a soldier in the War of 1812.  His mother was of English descent.  Her ancestors came to the United States shortly before the Revolutionary war.
     Mr. Eddy graduated at the Orwell, Ohio, Normal institute in June, 1870, and in the law department of the Michigan university at Ann Arbor, Michigan, in the class of 1874.  His law instructors were Judge T. M. Cooley and other law lecturers in the university.  He was admitted to the supreme court of Michigan in Lansing in April, 1874, to the United States district court at Detroit in the same month, and to the bar of Ohio at Canfield in September, 1874.  He then removed to Youngstown and commenced the practice of law, and has since resided there engaged in practice.
     When quite a young man he was elected constable of his native town, and held the office for one year.  In October 1880, he was appointed, by the court of common pleas, official stenographer of the courts of Mahoning county.
     He was married Sept. 17, 1874, at Orwell, Ohio, to Miss Sarah Day, a native of the place, and by her had two children, the oldest of whom, a son, died Jan. 13, 1879.  She died December 17, 1878. On August 17, 1879, he was again married at New Castle, Pennsylvania, to Miss Vella Sunderlin, a native of that city. 
     In the war of 1861 he was a private in battery G, Illinois light artillery, which was attached to

[Page 225]

the Sixteenth army corps, and participated in the following engagements, viz: Union City, Coffeeville, Tupelo, Old Town Creek, Hurricane Creek, Siege of Vicksburg, all in Mississippi, Nashville, Tennessee (the two days' action); the sieges of Spanish Fort, Blakely, and Mobile, Alabama, from March 27th to Apr. 12, 1865.  He was mustered out at Camp Butler, Springfield, Illinois, Sept. 4, 1865.  After being mustered out of the United States army he went on to the plains of Nebraska, Dakota, Colorado, and Wyoming, where he acted for three years in the capacity of train boss, scout and hunter to various trading parties in that section, and was captain of the vigilance committee of the Laramie valley for over a year.  He was wounded in a single-handed combat with a party of Indians at Cooper creek, Wyoming Territory, in August, 1868.  He returned to Ohio in that year, where he has resided since, except when pursuing his law studies in Michigan.

     ADDIS E. KNIGHT was born in Leesville, Carroll county, Ohio, Oct. 29, 1852.  His parents were Robert E. and Mary E. (Lawthers) Knight, born natives of Ohio.  He removed with his parents to Youngstown in 1869, graduated at the Rayen school in Youngstown, read law with his father, then a practicing lawyer in Youngstown, was admitted to the bar at Canfield September, 1874, and has since practiced law in Youngstown.  He was elected justice of the peace of Youngstown township Apr. 5, 1880.
     He was married Apr. 19, 1879, at Youngstown, to Miss Grace Johnson, a native of that city.

     ALBERT JACOB WOOLF was born in Berlin township, Mahoning county, Ohio, Apr. 26, 1852.  His father, Jacob Woolf, was born near Martinsburg, Virginia, July 25, 1819, but his home, the greater part of the time, until he reached manhood, was near Hagerstown, Maryland.  His mother, whose maiden name was Christina Reichard, was born near Mount Alto, Guilford township, Franklin county, Pennsylvania.  They were both of German descent.  They were married Dec. 9, 1847, migrated to Ohio in May, 1848, and settled in Berlin township, on the east bank of the Mahoning, nearly opposite the village of Frederick, and there resided until the spring of 1861, when they
removed into the adjoining township of Milton, where his mother still resides.  His father died Jan. 14, 1874.  The name of the family, as written by his ancestors, is Wolf, but his father, Jacob, about 1850, commenced using two o's, which orthography has always been used by his children, although his other relations still practice the old way of spelling the name Wolf.  This departure from the old way of spelling was the result of a spirit of originality rather than any other cause.
     The subject of this sketch entered Mount Union college in the fall of 1872 and graduated in 1876.  He also attended and completed a commercial course at Hiram college in 1871, and in 1874 he attended, part of the year, at Wittenberg college, in Springfield, Ohio. Prior to entering college, and during part of the time of his collegiate course, he taught school at intervals in Mahoning county, and in the fall and winter of 1873–74 he taught school in Johnson county, Missouri.  He prepared for the bar in Youngstown, Ohio, studying with Van Hyning & Johnston part of the time, and the residue with C. R. Truesdale.  He was admitted to the bar by the supreme court at Columbus, Ohio, June 4, 1878, and has practiced law at Youngstown since that time.  He is a member of the board of school examiners of Mahoning county, and has served in that office for over three years past.  He was the Democratic candidate for probate judge of Mahoning county in the fall of 1881, but was not elected.


[Page 226]






     WILLIAM N. ASHBAUGH, was born May 14, 1854, at Freeport, Armstrong county, Pennsylvania.  His parents were William and Eliza A. (Metz) Ashbaugh.  He removed with them to Youngstown, Ohio, in October, 1874.  He read law with David M. Wilson and William J. Lawthers, and was admitted to the bar by the district court at Youngstown, Apr. 3, 1877, and has since resided there engaged in practice.

     WILLIAM E. HOWELLS was born in Youngstown, Ohio, Mar. 10, 1857.  His parents were Anthony and Elizabeth Howells, of Welsh nativity, but who early in life emigrated to Youngstown.  they now reside in Massillon, Ohio.  His father held the office of State treasurer for one term and is now and has been for several years largely engaged in coal mining and furnace business, at and near Massillon.
     He read law with William S. Anderson, at Youngstown, was there admitted to the bar Mar. 17, 1879, and resided there since in practice.

[Page 227]





     EUGENE SMITH was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, Oct. 25, 1844, and removed to Ohio with his parents in 1856.  He received his early education in the district school and in the high school at Salem, Columbiana county, Ohio, and taught district school a few terms.  He studied law with J. C. Stanley, Esq., of Alliance, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar in March, 1879.  He commenced practice in Youngstown in September, 1879, and has since resided there, continuing the practice of his profession.


[Page 228]

     BENJAMIN F. WIRT was born in West Middlesex, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, Mar. 26, 1852, and removed
with his parents to Youngstown, Ohio, in December of that year.  He was a son of William Wirt, a native of Youngstown, and Eliza Jane (Sankey) Wirt, a native of Pennsylvania.  He was a graduate of the Rayen school, of Youngstown.  His law instructor was L. D. Woodworth, of Youngstown, and he was admitted to the bar in Columbus, Ohio, Mar. 11, 1871, and commenced the practice in Youngstown, where he now resides, engaged in practice in partnership with his former preceptor, under the firm name of Woodworth & Wirt.  He was married on the 23d day of June, 1881, at New Bedford, Pennsylvania, to Miss Mary M. McGeehen, a resident of that place and a native of Pennsylvania.

     JAMES KENNEDY was born in Poland, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1853.  He was a son of Thomas W. and Margaret
(Truesdale) Kennedy
.  His early education was in the common schools. He prepared for college at the Poland Union seminary, and graduated at Westminster college, Pennsylvania, in 1876.  He read law at Youngstown with General T. W. Sanderson, and was admitted to the bar Mar. 16, 1879, and commenced practice in Youngstown, where he resides and engaged in practice.

     GEORGE C. HATCH was born in West Farmington, Trumbull county, Ohio, June 24, 1857, and is the son of H. H. and Jennett (Lane) Hatch.  He graduated at the Western Reserve seminary in 1877, and at Oberlin college in 1878, read law with Jones & Murray at Youngstown, was admitted to the bar in 1879, practiced his profession for a short time at Warren, Ohio, and then removed to Youngstown, Ohio, where he has since resided, and engaged in practice.

     EDWARD SWANSTON was born in the county of Fermanaugh, Ireland, Nov. 2, 1848.  He was the son of William and Eliza (McCurdy) Swanston.  He came to the United States and to Mahoning county, Ohio, with his parents in 1851.  He attended the Union seminary at Poland, Ohio, and after wards entered the Western Reserve college at Hudson, Ohio, but left before finishing the course.  He studied law with Anderson & King, Youngstown, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar at Youngstown, Ohio, Mar. 17, 1879; commenced practice there, where he is now in practice, in partnership with his brother George, as Swanston Brothers.

     GEORGE SWANSTON was born in Coitsville, Mahoning county, Ohio, January 5, 1852; is a son of William and Eliza (McCurdy) Swanston, natives of Ireland, who came to the United States in 1851.  He was a graduate of Poland Union seminary, class of 1876. His law instructor was William S. Anderson, of Youngstown, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar in that city Mar. 17, 1879.  Since his admission has there practiced law in partnership with his brother Edward, under the firm name of Swanston Brothers.

     JOHN A. LADD was born at Newton Falls, Trumbull county, Ohio, Jan. 17, 1848.  He was the son of William P. and Letitia (Clark) Ladd.  His father was a blacksmith and a native of Vermont.  His mother was a native of New Jersey.  He came to Youngstown in 1865, was engaged in drug business five years and then in insurance and collecting business.  He read law with Jones & Murray, at Youngstown, and was admitted to the bar at Jefferson, Ashtabula county, Mar. 19, 1878, and then commenced practice in Youngstown in which he is now engaged.

     PATRICK F. GILLIES was born in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland, July 27, 1854.  He came to the United States in 1871, making his home at Chicago, where he resided until 1874, when he removed to Lowellville, Mahoning county, and soon after to Youngstown.  He read law with Isaac A. Justice, at Youngstown, and was there admitted to the bar Mar. 17, 1879, where he immediately commenced practice, and now resides.

     HALLETT K. TAYLOR was born in Ravenna, Ohio, Nov. 2, 1857.  He was a son of Ezra B. and Harriet M. (Frazer) Taylor, both natives of Portage county, Ohio. His father was for several years judge of the common pleas of the second subdivision of

[Page 229]
the ninth judicial district, and is now (1882) Representative in Congress from the nineteenth Ohio Congressional district.  H. K. Taylor was a graduate of the Western Reserve college, at Hudson, Ohio, class of 1879.  Read law with his father at Warren, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar at Columbus, Ohio, in June, 1881.  He then commenced practice in Youngstown, Ohio, where he now resides.







[Page 230]



     SIDNEY DE LAMAR JACKSON was born in Hubbard, Trumbull county, Ohio, Apr. 9, 1855.  His parents were Joseph M. and Rebecca L. Jackson.  His father was born in New Bedford, Pennsylvania; his mother in Hubbard, Ohio.  They reside in Coitsville, where he received his early education.  He read law in Youngstown with Hon. David M. Wilson.  He was admitted to the bar at the district court in Canfield, Ohio, Apr. 3, 1877, and commenced practice in Youngstown, where he is now practicing in partnership with William T. Gibson.
     He was married at Fredonia, New York, Dec. 14, 1880, to Miss Mary E. Cushing, of that place.


[Page 231]





[Page 232]









[Page 233]

     WILLIAM L. BROWN was born in New England, and removed to Canfield with his mother, a widow, when quite young. He attended the academy there, read law and was admitted to the bar in 1863.  Shortly after, he went to Mon tana, remained there a few years, returned and located in Youngstown, where he engaged in practicing law and in publishing the Youngstown Vindicator, a democratic weekly journal. About 1879 he purchased an interest in the New York Daily News, sold his interest in the Vindicator, and removed to New York city, where he now resides, engaged in editing and publishing the Daily News.  In December, 1878, he was married at Washington city to Miss Henrietta Jeffries, daughter of General M. L. Jeffries of that city, formerly a lawyer of Ravenna, Ohio.



     ELGIN A. ANGELL was born in the State of New York, was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1876.  He practiced a short time thereafter in Youngstown and removed to Cleveland where he now resides, engaged in practice.

     JOHN C. HUTCHINS, was born in Warren, Ohio, son of John Hutchins, a lawyer now of Cleveland, Ohio.  He was admitted to the bar at Canfield, Ohio, in 1866, commenced practice in Youngstown, remained there a short time and removed to Cleveland, where he now resides, engaged in practice.

     CORNELIUS M. BROWN was born in Youngstown, Ohio, was there admitted to the bar in 1878.  He practiced in Youngstown a short time and removed to Springfield, Ohio, where he is now engaged in practice.


[Page 234]






[Page 235]


     ISAAC E. COFFEE was born in Salem, Colunmbiana county, read law with S. W. Gilson, Esq., at Canfield, was there admitted to the bar in 1855; practiced law there in partnership with Mr. Gilson, and died at Canfield in September, 1859.  He was married to Miss Kate Hine, of Canfield, Nov. 19, 1857.

     CHARLES A. HARRINGTON was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, and there admitted to the bar.  He practiced for a time at Canfield, and returned to Trumbull county and resumed practice at Warren.  He there held the office of clerk of the courts for several years.

     THEREON M. RICE was born in Trumbull county, Ohio; admitted to the bar, and removed to Canfield, Ohio, about 1855; practiced there a few years and removed to Missouri, where he was elected a judge of the common pleas, and in 1880, a Representative in Congress for the seventh district.

     SAMUEL W. GILSON was born in Pennsylvania.  He graduated at Washington college in that State, taught school, read law, and was admitted to the bar in Columbiana county, Ohio.  He removed to Canfield soon after the organization of Mahoning county, and there resided, in the practice of law until his death.
     He was elected representative in the Ohio Legislature from Mahoning county in 1858, and served one term.  He died at Canfield in May, 1874.

     JOHN W. CHURCH was born in Canfield, Ohio, was a son of John R. Church, an early settler of that township, for many years a merchant, and for one term an associate judge of the court of common pleas of Trumbull county.  He was admitted to the bar about 1850.  He practiced in Canfield a few years in partnership with David M. Wilson as Wilson & Church, and removed to Massillion, Stark county, Ohio.  He was there elected judge of the common pleas, and died some years since.  He was married about 1856, to Miss Francis Pease, daughter of Samuel Pease, Esq., a lawyer of Massilon.

     CHARLES RUGGLES was born about 1806, and was a son of an early pioneer of Canfield.  He was raised on a farm, became a practical farmer and surveyor.  He read law and was admitted to the bar at Warren, Ohio, about 1840.  He practiced law in Canfield, in addition to surveying, for many years, but has no retired from law practice, in a great measure, and is engaged in other business.

     HORACE G. RUGGLES, son of Charles Ruggles, was born in Canfield; attended the Mahoning academy; read law and at was admitted to the bar about 1860.  He practiced in Canfield a few years and removed to the West.  He was married, dec. 24, 1863, to Miss Amanda C. Hoyle, of Berlin, Ohio.

[Page 236]

     EDWIN C. RUGGLES is a son of Charles Ruggles.   He was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1869, practiced there a few yeas and removed to Cuyahoga falls, Summi8t county, Ohio, where he resides engaged in practice.  He was married Apr. 20, 1859, to Miss Catharine McFarland, of Canfield, Ohio.

     JOHN S. ROLLER was born in Green, Mahoning (then Columbiana) county, Ohio, Sept. 27, 1839.  His parents were Simon and Mary Ann (Weikert) Roller, whose parents were early settlers of that township.   He attended the Mahoning academy at Canfield, read law and was admitted to the bar in Portage county in May, 1871.  He commenced practice in Leetonia, Columbiana county, in November, 1871.  In April, 1874, he removed to Canfield, where he has since resided, in practice, part of the time in partnership with William S. Anderson as Anderson & Roller.
     He was married Jan. 15, 1868, at Canfield, to Miss Asenath A. Fitzpatrick.

     LANDON MASTIN for a number of years was a resident of Smithother, Mahoning county, Ohio; engaged in other business.  He read law with F. G. Servis, Esq., of Canfield, and was there admitted to the bar in 1870. He resides there now, practicing occasionally, but engaged in other business.  He was married Nov.  15, 1850, to Miss Harriett Santee of Smith township.

     ENSIGN N. BROWN was born in Canfield Dec. 9, 1854.  He is son of Richard and Thalia F. (Newton) Brown, then of New York city, and grandson of Eben Newton, of Canfield, a lawyer of distinction, and one of the oldest on the Reserve.  In 1878 he removed to Canfield, Ohio, with his parents, who were former residents of that place.  He read law with Judge Newton, and with Van Hyning & Johnston, and was admitted to the bar at Columbus, Ohio, in 1888, and commenced practice in Canfield, where he is still in practice.

     FRANCIS C. NESBIT was born in Pennsylvania, attended the academy at Canfield, Ohio, read law, and was admitted to the bar of Ohio about 1860, and commenced practice at Canfield.  He was a justice of the peace of that township from 1866 to 1869, and removed West about 1870.  He was married in October, 1861, to Miss Ellen Wright, of Tallmadge, Ohio.

     HARRISON J. EWING was born in Milton, Ohio, was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1876, practiced a short time in the county, and removed to Cuyahoga county.  He was married Nov. 23, 1866, to Miss Sarah Patterson, of Milton, Ohio.

     ALEXANDER H. MOORE was born in Milton, Mahoning county, Ohio, was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1859, practiced there a few years, and afterwards in Youngstown, and removed back to Milton, where he is engaged in other business, occasionally attending to law practice.

     JOHN J. MOORE was born in Milton, Ohio, was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1863, practiced some time in Canfield, and removed to Ottawa, Putnam county, Ohio.  He resumed practice there, and in 1878 was elected judge of the court of common pleas of the Third subdivision of the Third judicial district.
     He was married at Milton, Ohio, May 19, 1859, to Miss Elizabeth Patterson, of that township.

     SELDEN HAINES was the son of parents who removed from New England to Vernon, Trumbull county, Ohio, and were among the early settlers of the Reserve.  He was born about 1806.  He graduated at Yale college in 1826, read law and was admitted to the bar in Trumbull county about 1828, and commenced practice in Poland, Ohio.  In July, 1832, he was colonel of the First Rifle regiment, First brigade and Fourth division, Ohio militia.  He practiced law several years at Poland, and then entered the ministry of the gospel.  He removed from Poland and was, in 1882, the pastor of a Presbyterian church in Rome, New York.  In 1872 he received from the college at Maryville, Tennessee, the honorary degree of S. T. D.


[Page 237]




     JOHN H. LEWIS was born at Gwynnedd, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, July 2, 1814.  His parents were Jesse and Susannah Lewis, natives of that place.  He graduated at Gwynnedd high school in 1835, removed to Greenford, then in Columbiana county, Ohio, Sept. 18, 1841; read law with Umbstaetter & Stanton in New Lisbon, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar at New Lisbon in the spring of 1843.  He practiced at Greenford until the spring of 1846, when he removed to Canfield on the organization of Mahoning county.  He practiced there about eight years and then removed to Cincinnati, and remained about eight years engaged in practice, He then returned to Greenford, where he has since resided, engaged in other business, and also practicing law to some extent.


[Page 238]


     B. S. HIGLEY


     ALBERT B. LOGAN, was born in Poland, Ohio, (read law) and enlisted and served during part of the war of the Rebellion in the Union army; afterwards read law and was admitted to the bar at Canfield, in 1866; practiced for a time in Mahoning county, and removed to Missouri.



[Page 239]





     The following gentlemen, admitted to the bar in Mahoning county, practiced in the county for longer or shorter periods, but are now deceased, having removed from the county or have discontinued practice.  The dates of admission are added to their names:

J. W. Stanley, 1860; W. V. S. Eaton, 1867; N. A. Gilbert, 1867;
W. R. Brownlee, 1869; Augustus L. Herliger, 1869: John B. Barnes, 1870;
Hiram Macklin 1870; Robert W. Tayer, Jr., 1877; David Burden, 1853.

     The following gentlemen, admitted elsewhere, have practiced for longer or shorter periods in Mahoning county, but have removed.  The state or county whence from and present residence, if known, are added to their names:     
Thaddeus Foote, from Massachusetts to Michigan;
Andrew J. Dyer, to St. Louis;
Charles F. Abell, from Ashtabula county to New York State, was married at Youngstown, Nov. 12, 1879, to Miss Ada Murray of that city;
Edwin S. Hubbard, from New York State to a western State;
Cornelius Curry, from Salem, Columbiana county, to a western State, now deceased;
J. R. Clarke, from Kansas to Pennsylvania;
William Collins, F. S. Rock and D. T. Hervey, from Pennsylvania and returned to Pennsylvania;
M. D. Tanneyhill, William Case, to a western State.





This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights