Among the early settlers of the southeastern part
of the Western Reserve, now Trumbull and Mahoning counties, were
five young lawyers from the State of Connecticut, who gained
distinction in their profession and became prominent and honored
citizens of Ohio. They were John S. Edwards, who
came in 1799 from New Haven; George Tod and Calvin
Pease, in 1800, from Suffield; Homer Hine, in 1801,
from New Milford, and Elisha Whittlesey, in 1806, from
Mr. Edward became a resident of Warren, was the first
recorder of Trumbull county, and was elected a member of
Congress and died in 1813 before taking his seat. The
others became residents of (the present) Mahoning county.
Mr. Pease came to Youngstown in 1800, was its first
postmaster in 1802, resided there for about three years, removed
to Warren and died there in 1839, aged sixty=three years.
came to Youngstown, made it his permanent home, and died there
in 1841, aged sixty-seven years. Mr. Hine came to
Canfield, removed to Youngstown in 1806, resided there until his
death in July, 1856, aged eighty years. Mr. Whittlesey
came to Canfield in 1806, resided there until his death in
January, 1863, age nearly eighty years. Another young
lawyer, Samuel Huntington, afterwards the third Governor
of Ohio elected by the people, came from Norwich, Connecticut,
to Youngstown in 1800, remained there a few months, and after
visiting other parts of the State removed his family in 1801
from Connecticut to Youngstown, resided there some time and then
removed to Cleveland, where he resided until 1809, when he
removed to Painesville, where he died in 1817, aged fifty-two
ORGANIZATION OF COUNTY AND
The county of Mahoning was organized in 1840, with the county
seat at Canfield. The first regular term of the common
pleas court was held in the Methodist Episcopal church, in
Canfield, in the Methodist Episcopal church, in Canfield, on May
11th of that year.
Eben Newton, of Canfield, was president judge, and
James Wallace, of Springfield, James Brownlee, of
Lemuel Bingham, of Ellsworth, were associates.
James Powers, of Milton, was sheriff,
John M. Edwards, Esq.
William Ferguson, of Youngstown, prosecuting attorney.
Henry Canfield, who had been appointed clerk pro tem. at
a prior special court, held by the associates, was clerk.
On the last day of the term, William W. Whittlesey, of
Canfield, was elected clerk for five years, and gave bond in the
sum of $10,000.
There were nineteen
cases on the docket when it was called on the opening of the
court. The term continued three days, and upon the
adjournment of court there were thirty-seven cases on the
docket. No case was tried to a jury; one judgment was
rendered on confession. Partition of real estate was
ordered in one case, and, on petition of a guardian in another,
real estate was ordered to be sold. Eight wills were
proved, and the executors therein named received letters
testamentary. Administrators were appointed on eleven
estates, and eight guardians of minors were appointed. By
request of the sheriff, Ransford Percival
and John C. Fitch were appointed his deputies.
The court appointed John M. Edwards, Robert W. Tayler,
and James B. Blocksom master commissioners in chancery;
Hiram A. Hall, John M. Edwards, and Reuben McMillen
school examiners, and John Kirk and Andrew
This first term of
court in the new county was attended not only by the lawyers of
the county, but by citizens from all parts of the county, and
lawyers and others from neighboring counties; and during the
three days of the term and town presented an appearance of great
bustle and business activity. The terms of court following
were held in that church until the fall term of 1847, which was
held in the court-house erected by the citizens of Canfield and
then ready for occupancy.
1876, the county-seat was removed to Youngstown, a full account
of which is given in chapter XI.
FIRST COURT AFTER REMOVAL
term after the removal of the court of common pleas was held in
the new court-house at Youngstown. It commenced September
10th, and adjourned Dec. 19, 1876. Hon. Philip B.
Conant, of Ravenna, was judge; Henry B. Sheilds,
John R. Davis, sheriff, and Charles R. Truesdale,
prosecuting attorney. The number of civil cases on the
docket, when court opened, were six hundred and seventy-four,
criminal cases forty-eight, total seven hundred and twenty-two.
At the close of the term, including those disposed of, the
number of civil cases was nine hundred and fifty-three, criminal
cases one hundred and thirty-five, total one thousand and
eighty-eight. The total one thousand and eighty-eight.
The total number of civil cases commenced since the organization
of the county, at the opening of the September term, 1881, was
twelve thousand and twenty.
the pioneer lawyer of Youngstown, and one of the earliest
lawyers of the Reserve, was born in Suffield, Connecticut, Dec.
11, 1773. He was a son of David and Rachel (Kent) Tod.
He gradated at Yale college in 1795. Subsequently he
taught school at New Haven, Connecticut; read law at the law
school of Judge Reeves, in Litchfield, Connecticut, and
was admitted to the bar. He was married at New Haven in
October, 1797, to Miss Sally Isaacs, who was born Jan.
12, 1778, and was a daughter of Ralph and Mary Isaacs.
Their two oldest children, Charlotte L. and Jonathan I. Tod,
were there born. In 1800 he came to Youngstown, Ohio;
returned to Connecticut, and in 1801 he removed with his wife
and children to Youngstown.
was born in Norwich, Connecticut, in 1765. He graduated at
Yale college in 1785. He read law, was admitted to the bar,
and practiced law several years in his native town. In 1800,
at the instance of owners of land on the Reserve, he visited Ohio,
reaching Youngstown the 25th of July, making the journey on
horseback. He visited different portions of the Reserve east
of the Cuyahoga river, and was so well pleased with the country that
he determined to settle there. He also visited Marietta, Ohio,
the official residence of Governor St. Clair, and the
Territorial court being in session he was admitted to the bar of
Ohio. He was present, as tradition says, with Governor St.
Clair at the trial, in September, 1800, in Youngstown, of
Joseph McMahon, for shooting Captain George, an Indian,
at the Salt Springs, as counsel, but on which side, or as advisory
counsel with Governor St. Clair, it does not relate. He
returned to Norwich on horseback in the fall. Early in the
following spring he returned to Youngstown with his wife, who was a
daughter of Andrew Huntington, of Norwich, to which he was
married about 1793, and his young family, in a covered wagon.
He remained a year or more in Youngstown, and then removed to
Cleveland, Ohio. During his residence in Youngstown in 1801,
he was appointed by Governor St. Clair lieutenant-colonel of
the Trumbull county militia, and on Jan. 19, 1802, was commissioned
a justice of the court of quarter sessions, of which, at the request
of the other judges, he became the presiding officer. In 1802
he was elected a member from Trumbull county of the convention which
formed the first constitution of Ohio, and on the adoption of the
constitution he was elected Senator from Trumbull county, in the
first General Assembly, which convened in Chillicothe, in March,
1803. On Apr. 2, 1804, he was elected by the Legislature a
judge of the supreme court, then newly formed, his commission,
signed by Governor Tiffin, being the first issued in the name
of the State of Ohio. He was elected Governor in 1808, and
served one term of two years, when he retired to his farm near
Painesville, which he had purchased in 1807. He was
Representative from Geauga county in the State Legislature in
1811-12. He was appointed district paymaster with the rank of
colonel in 1812, and remained two years with the Northwestern army,
after which he returned to his farm. He died of consumption at
Painesville in February, 1817. A biography says: "His business
capacity was of a high order, as was shown by his executing so well
the duties of many responsible offices. He bore the reputation
of being a man of spotless character."
At the first territorial court of Trumbull county, held
in August, 1800, he was appointed prosecuting attorney.
The following is a copy of the record of the court journal:
"The court appointed George Tod, Esq., to prosecute the
pleas of the United States the present session, who took the
oath of office."
At that term of the court the grand jury returned a
bill of indictment for murder against Joseph McMahon, for
shooting Captain George, an Indian, at the Salt springs,
on the 20th of July preceding, and he was tried at a special
court held at Youngstown in September following, Mr. Tod
appearing in behalf of the United States as prosecuting
During the first year of his residence in Ohio he was
appointed, by Governor St. Clair, Territorial secretary.
In April, 1802, at the first township election held at
Youngstown, upon the admission of Ohio as a State into the
union, he was elected township clerk, and re-elected in 1803 and
1804. In 1804-05 he was Senator from Trumbull county in
the State Legislature, again in 1810-1811. In 1806 he was
elected a judge of the supreme court of the State. In the
War of 1812 he was commissioned major and afterwards colonel of
the Nineteenth regiment of Ohio militia, and served with
distinction at Fort Meigs and Sackett's Harbor. In 1815 he
was elected president judge of the court of common pleas of the
old third circuit, which then comprised a large part of the
counties of the Reserve, and held the office until 1829.
He was elected prosecuting attorney of Trumbull county in 183_
and held the office for one term.
After leaving the bench, except when attending to his
duties as prosecutor, he retired in a measure from practice and
devoted his attention to the care of his large farm, at
Brier Hill, in the north part of the township of Youngstown; the
farm which afterwards became so celebrated for its deposit of
fine mineral coal, developed by his son, the late Governor
He died at Brier Hill Apr. 11, 1841.
As a lawyer and a judge he ranked among the first in the State
of Ohio; as a citizen was held in the highest regard. His
estimable wife survived him a few years, and died at Brier Hill
Sept. 29, 1847.
Source: History of
Trumbull & Mahoning Counties with Illustrations and Biographical
Sketches Vol. I - Mahoning Co., Publ. Cleveland: H. Z. Williams &
Bro. 1882 - Page 206
CALVIN PEASE was born in
Suffield, Hartford county, Connecticut, Sept. 9,
1776. He was admitted to
the bar in Hartford in 1798; practiced law in
Connecticut until March, 1800, when he removed to
Youngstown, Ohio, and commenced practice. He
was appointed postmaster of Youngstown Jan. 1, 1802;
was the first postmaster of that place, and held the
office until his removal to Warren in 1803. He
was also, in 1802, elected township trustee of
Youngstown. He was appointed clerk of the
court of common pleas of Trumbull county, at its
first session in August, 1800, and held the office
for a few years. He was subsequently elected
judge of the common pleas and of the supreme court,
and Representative and Senator in the Ohio
Legislature. In 1804 he was married to Miss
Risley, of Washington city. He died at Warren,
Ohio, Sept. 17, 1839. A more full biographical
notice will be found in the history of the bar of
was a pioneer lawyer of the Reserve, and a
man of considerable note in the early days, yet authentic and
definite information as to his early history appears in a great
measure wanting. He was born in Connecticut, graduated at
Yale college in 1793, read law in Connecticut, and was there
admitted to the bar. He removed to Ohio at an early day,
was a member of Trumbull county bar, resided for many years at
or near Youngstown, and afterwards in Hubbard, Trumbull county.
We learn, by tradition, that he taught a school at the center of
Youngstown prior to 1805, and it is said that he was the pioneer
school teacher of Youngstown. There are persons now living
in Youngstown, or who were born there, who were his pupils in a
log school house in the southern part of the township as early
as about 1814. They remember that in addition to his
duties as a teacher, he practiced law in justices' courts in the
vicinity, and also to some extent in the higher courts at
In 1826 he purchased a farm
of about one hundred acres of land in Hubbard, on which he
afterwards resided. A gentleman of that place thus writes
A small stream, called Yankee Run, flowed
through his land, on which there was an old-fashioned carding
machine and fulling mill, which he operated for about a year,
and then turned his attention to his farm. He lived
exclusively by himself and boarded himself until his health
began to fail when he went to board with a neighbor, still
lodging at home. He was a fine scholar; could talk, read,
and write the Greek, Latin, and Hebrew languages as well as he
could English, and it was said he was well versed in the
principles of law. He died in 1852, aged about eighty-four
was born in New Milford, Connecticut, July 25, 1776.
His great-grandfather, who was among the early settlers of
Milford, in New Haven county, Connecticut, is said to have
emigrated from Ireland, and the family were supposed to have
settled in Ireland during the time of Cromwell, from Scotland or
England, and were of the class known as Scotch-Irish. His
grandfather, James Hine, was born in Milford in 1696,
removed in early manhood to New Milford, among the first
settlers of that place, and there married Margaret
Noble, who was carried there when quite a child, and was the
first white female that set foot in that place. James
Hine was a respectable farmer, lived to the age of
seventy eight years, and died in 1774, leaving two sons, Austin
and Noble, and several daughters. Noble was a
fore-handed farmer, and, during the Revolutionary war, was a
colonel of the Connecticut militia. He died in 1795,
leaving three sons, one of whom was
Homer, the subject of this sketch, and six daughters, the
youngest of whom, Sophia, was afterwards the wife of
Rev. Charles A. Boardman, a clergyman of eminence, and for
many years pastor of the First Presbyterian church of
Homer Hine, after a preparatory course in the
schools of New Milford, entered Yale college, and graduated in
1797 in a class of thirty-seven. Among his class-mates
Seymour, United States Senator from Vermont; Henry
Baldwin, judge of United States Supreme court;
Rev. Dr. Lyman Beecher, and many others of prominence.
The first year after his graduation he spent pleasantly at
Stockbridge, Massachusetts, as preceptor of an academy.
Sedgwick, a celebrated authoress, was one of his pupils.
He read law during that year with Judge Sedgwick,
her father. The next year he read law with
P. Ruggles in New Milford, and during the year 1800 he
attended the law school of Judges Reeve and Gould
at Litchfield, Connecticut. He was admitted to the bar in
Litchfield in 1801.
In June, 1801,
he removed to Canfield, Ohio. The journey was made on
horseback over the mountains and through Pittsburg, carrying his
wardrobe in his saddlebags. His small library of law books
were brought in an ox-wagon which was bringing out the household
goods of Benjamin Tappan, who, with his wife and
sister-in-law, Miss Wright, were moving from New
England to locate a new home in Ravenna, Ohio.
The whole Reserve then formed one county, and contained six or
eight hundred inhabitants. In view of its wonderful growth
in population and improvement otherwise, in 1848 Mr.
Hine, writing to an old classmate, Rev. Dr. James
I feel constrained to bear testimony to the
beneficial effects of home missionary labor in the new
settlements. At first it was the general custom for the
settlers to spend the Sabbath in hunting, or to come together
for a drinking frolick and engage in all kinds of sport.
Even those who had left New England as professors of religion
seemed so far carried away by the influence of example as to
conclude that the Sabbath was not binding in the wilderness.
The missionaries immediately commenced forming churches in the
principal settlements and persuaded the people to assemble on
the Sabbath and perform public worship by singing, prayer, and
reading printed sermons. This, together with occasional
visits from the missionaries, soon produced a radical change in
the inhabitants for good, both in a religious and moral point of
view. The few hundred dollars expended on the Reserve for
missionary services has profited the country to the amount of
millions. But the real benefit is not to be measured in
dollars and cents.
In 1806 Mr. Hine removed to
Youngstown, where he continued to reside until his death, in
July, 1856, aged eighty years. He commenced the practice of law
on his first arrival on the Reserve and continued it with good
success until the age of sixty. He then declined to engage in
new cases, but attended the courts for about three years in
order to dispose of the cases in which he was engaged. Terms of
court, in those early days, were more matters of general
interest than now. The members of the bar followed the circuit
on horseback over roads that were merely underbrushed and marked
by blazed trees through the unbroken forests, fording rivers and
streams, and giving chase occasionally to a bear or wolf,
enjoying with cheerful zest the adventures of rough roads and
rude fare, the latter often composed of wild game from the
The courts were frequently
held under trees, or in barns, or in other rude buildings.
The lawyers, sometimes with the judges, lodged in the hay-mow of
a barn. Then with such companions as Judges
Tappan, Pease, Tod, and others, and often the
free circulation of a whisky decanter, they had lively, or jolly
Hine was not naturally fond of litigation and, where it
was practicable, advised his clients to settle, compromise, or
arbitrate. This trait of character, which many of the
legal profession might regard as a weakness, was frequently of
service to him when trying cases. Many jury men and
justices of the peace, when cases were on trial before them,
gave more than ordinary weight to his arguments and summing up
of evidence from having faith in his disposition to be just and
fair in the settlement and preventing of suits at law, believing
that he would be fair in his statements on the trial.
He was four times elected to the office of Representative in the
Ohio Legislature—in 1804, 1805, 1816, 1824. He held the
office of non-resident tax collector for five years, until the
office was abolished, about 1812. He was a soldier in the War of
1812, under Colonel William Rayen. In 1805 he was
appointed, by the Legislature, a commissioner to lay out a State
road from Warren to such point on Lake Erie as, in his judgment,
would make the most feasible route from Pittsburg to Lake Erie.
After examining the different routes, ending between Cleveland
Conneaut, he selected a
route with the terminus at the mouth of Grand river, in
Painesville town ship, Lake county, regarding that as the
easiest on which to construct a road, and the river at Fairport,
at that time, as affording the best natural harbor, on that part
of Lake Erie.
He was always a
regular attendant at the meetings of the Presbyterian church,
and, in the absence of a clergyman, the duty of reading a
printed sermon usually devolved on him. He was a fine
reader, and he probably read more sermons to that congregation
than any single clergyman ever preached to it. He was
always interested in all useful reforms, and was one of the
earliest workers in the temperance reform, and from its start
and for many years was president of the Youngstown Temperance
society. He was open and generous in his hospitality,
especially to clergymen, so much so that among them his house
was known as “The Minister's Tavern.”
On removing to Youngstown in 1806, he purchased a frame house
and two acres of land, east of the Diamond, of Robert
Kyle. This was, probably, the third frame dwelling
then in the present city. It is still standing, and
occupied, although removed to another site. On Oct. 5,
1807, he was married to Miss Mary Skinner,
daughter of Abraham
Skinner, of Painesville, Ohio, an emigrant in 1801 or
1802 from Connecticut, where she was born in Glastonbury, in
Hartford county, Sept. 20, 1789. In May, 1808, they began
housekeeping in that house, and there resided until 1818, when
he purchased a farm of one hundred and ten acres at the mouth of
and on the east side of Crab creek, on which was a house large
for those times, into which they removed. It was a
two-story frame dwelling, built by Colonel James
Hillman, and had been occupied by him as a tavern. It
had a double front, one to the south overlooking a long reach of
the Mahoning river, the other to the westward, looking through
the entire length of Federal street and of the village, as it
then was, to the residence of Colonel
Rayen at Spring Common. It was then, and still is
one of the land marks of Youngstown, and few who have traveled
through that city towards Pittsburg, will fail to recollect its
position and peculiar appearance. It is now surrounded by
railroad tracks, and has been sold to a railroad company, and is
occupied by it.
after the death of her husband in 1856, resided in that old
homestead until 1872, when she removed to Painesville, where she
resides with a son. She is now (1881) in her ninety-third
year, and although feeble physically is in full possession of
all her mental faculties and senses, enjoys seeing her relatives
and old friends, enjoys conversing about old times, takes a
lively interest in the welfare of her children and descendants,
as well as in politics and the progress and prosperity of her
country, and is calmly and peacefully passing the evening of her
days with the happy satisfaction of looking, in retrospect, on a
well-spent and useful life.
HENRY J. CANFIELD
was born in Connecticut. He was son of
Judson Canfield, a distinguished lawyer of that State and
one of the proprietors of the township of Canfield, Ohio, to
which he gave his name. Henry J.
graduated at Yale college in 1806, studied law at the
celebrated law school of Judge Reeve, in Litchfield,
Connecticut, was admitted to the bar in Connecticut, and shortly
afterwards came to Canfield, Ohio, to take charge of his
father's lands. He was admitted to the bar of Ohio at
Warren , devoted some attention to practice, but was principally
engaged in farming and land surveying, in which he was skilled.
He was a large sheep grower, and published a work of great merit
on The Sheep.
On the organization of
Mahoning county in 1846, at the first special court held by the
judges, he was appointed clerk pro tem, of the court of common
pleas, and held the office until the appointment of the clerk
for the full term at the first regular term of the court held
May 11th of that year. From his arrival in Ohio his
residence was in Canfield. He there died in 1856.
was born in Youngstown, Feb. 21, 1805. He was a son of
George and Sally (Isaacs) Tod, who emigrated to Ohio from
Connecticut, and were among the earliest pioneers of the
Reserve. He was admitted to the bar in Warren, Ohio, in
1827; resided there engaged in practice until 1844, when he
returned to the old brier Hill farm in Youngstown, and resided
there until his death on Nov. 23, 1868. He was elected
Governor of Ohio in 1861, and held other civil and military
offices. He was married at Warren, Ohio, July 24, 1843, to
Miss Maria Smith, of that place, the daughter of early
settlers. She survives him. Although he resided in
Mahoning county, at the time of its organization, and was a
number of its bar during his after life, he had virtually during
that time retired from practice, and was engaged in extensive
mining and manufacturing business.
more full biographical sketch appears elsewhere in this book.
ROBERT W. TAYLER
BENJAMIN F. HOFFMAN (W/PORTRAIT)
JOHN M. EDWARDS
was born in New Haven, Connecticut, Oct. 23, 1805. He was
the son of Henry W. and Lydia (Miller) Edwards, of that
city. He removed to Ohio in 1832; admitted to the bar in
New Haven in 1826, and afterwards at Warren, Ohio. He is
now practicing in Youngstown, Ohio. A more full biography
will be found in another part of this work.
WILLIAM G. MOORE
was born Jan. 7, 1832, at Freedom, on the north bank of the Ohio
river, in Beaver county, Pennsylvania. His parents were
Edwin and Mary A. Moore. They were natives of
Balnamore, county Leitrim, Ireland, and emigrated to the United
States in 1829, resided a few years in Pennsylvania, and then
removed to Youngstown.
1845, he commenced the study of law in the office of Jon
Crowell, in Warren, Ohio, and subsequently read law with
Robert W. Tayler late first comptroller of the United States
treasury, at Youngstown. He was admitted to the bar by the
supreme court in 1847, and in December, 1854, was admitted to
the bar of the supreme court of the United States.
In 1847 he commenced the practice of law at Youngstown as
partner of R. W. Tayler, which partnership continued
Mr. Tayler assumed the office of cashier of the Mahoning
County bank, in 1850. He afterwards was a partner of
General Thomas W. Sanderson, which continued until
Mr. Sanderson joined the army in 1861. He was
afterwards in partnership with William C. Bunts,
deceased, and afterwards a short time with William J.
He was elected mayor
of Youngstown in April, 1854, and re-elected in 1856. In
1869 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Mahoning county, and
served two years.
He was married
Mar. 18, 1852, to
Miss Laura A. Andrews, born in Vienna, Trumbull county,
daughter of Norman Andrews, an early settler of Trumbull county,
but for many years a citizen of Youngstown, Ohio.
DAVID M. WILSON
was born in Guilford, Medina county, Ohio,
July 21, 1822. He was the second son of David and
Abigail (Porter) Wilson. His father was a native of
Virginia, of Scotch-Irish descent, and his mother a native of
Connecticut, of English descent. His grandfather,
Porter, was a drum-major in the war of the Revolution.
Wilson was also a Revolutionary soldier. His father
was a soldier in the War of 1812.
was raised on a farm, attended the common schools until he was
about sixteen years old, and then attended the Norwalk seminary,
in Huron county, Ohio, for several terms, and taught school one
term. He read law with Hiram Floyd, at Medina,
Ohio, and was there admitted to practice in 1844. In 1845
he removed to Warren, Ohio, and commenced practice. While
there, for a few years, he was a partner of John W. Church,
afterwards a judge of the court of common pleas, as Wilson &
Church. In 1858 he removed to Youngstown, there practicing
for a period in partnership with James B. Blocksom, as
Wilson & Blocksom. He was afterwards a partner of
Robert G. Knight as Wilson & Knight, and then of
Halsey H. Moses as Wilson & Moses, and for a few
years partner of
James P. Wilson, his nephew, as Wilson & Wilson.
In 1863 he was nominated for
attorney-general of Ohio by the Democratic State convention,
and in 1874 he was nominated for Representative in Congress by
the district Democratic convention. He was not elected to
either office, the ticket on which he was nominated being in the
minority in both instances, but his personal popularity at home
secured him many votes for each office ahead of the general
He was married in 1846, to
Miss Nancy Merril, a native of Orangeville, Wyoming
county, New York. She died in 1851. He was again
married, in 1871, to Miss Griselda Campbell, of Trumbull
county, Ohio. He died Feb. 11, 1882, at Youngstown.
THOMAS W. SANDERSON
ASAHEL W. JONES
LAURIN D. WOODWORTH
(second) was born in Warren, Ohio, in 1841, and was the son of
David and Maria (Smith) Tod, and grandson of
George Tod, the pioneer lawyer of Youngstown. He
removed, with his parents to Briar Hill, near Youngstown, in
1844. In April, 1861, in response to the call of President
Lincoln for volunteers, he enlisted as a private in the
Mahoning Rifles, was of the first companies which reported for
duty to the Governor. On May 20th at Cleveland, the Rifles
were made part of the Nineteenth regiment as company B. As
a private in that company and regiment he served gallantly
during the term for which he enlisted. He returned to
Youngstown, read law, and was admitted to the bar at Canfield,
in 1865. He has devoted but little attention to the
practice, but is, and for several years has been, largely
engaged in coal and manufacturing business.
HALSEY H. MOSES
ROBERT B. MURRAY
LEROY D. THOMAN
GEORGE F. ARREL
ISAAC A. JUSTICE
was born in Austintown, Mahoning county, Ohio, Mar. 16, 1837.
He was a son of John and Nancy (Sexton) Justice.
they were both born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, and
removed with their parents to Ohio about 1805, and were among
the earliest pioneers of Mahoning county. They both died
at Austintown in 1881, after having spent together over sixty
peaceful and prosperous years of married life.
The subject of this biography was educated at the Mahoning
academy, in Canfield. He spent his summers from 1856 to
1860 in attending school and his winters in teaching. He
read law with S. W. Gilson, Esq., at Canfield, and was
admitted to the bar in the fall of 1867, at the session of the
district court in Canfield. He soon entered into
partnership with Mr. Gilson, which continued for a short
time. About 1872 he removed to Youngstown, Ohio, and has
been engaged in the practice of law there since that time.
In October 1873, and during the contest for the removal of the
county seat to Youngstown, he was elected, on what was called
the "removal ticket," prosecuting attorney, and held the office
for one term, commencing on Jan. 7, 1874, and terminating Jan.
During the term of office
L. D. Thomas as probate judge, he tendered to Mr.
Justice the appointment of school examiner of Mahoning
county, a position he was amply qualified to fill, but the
appointment was declined because of want of time to perform the
duties of the office. He was taken a very prominent part
in the temperance movement for the past five years, and has
spent much time in lecturing, and otherwise, at home and abroad,
in attempting to persuade men to live sober lives. He is
now president of the Ohio Christian Temperance union.
He was married in 1860 to
Miss Dorcas Hitchcock, of Canfield, a class-mate of his
at the academy, by whom he had two children, both now living.
She died in Dec., 1870. He was again married in 1871, to
Miss Helen A. Warner, of Lorain county, Ohio. She was also
his class-mate. She died in 1881, leaving a bereaved
husband and four interesting children to mourn her loss.
CHARLES R. TRUESDALE
WALTER L. CAMPBELL
OTIS W. KYLE
was born in Austintown, Mahoning county, Ohio, Mar. 21, 1843.
He is the oldest son of Joshua and Elizabeth Kyle.
When eighteen years old he entered Hiram college as a student,
remaining four years and graduating in 1864. He engaged as
bookkeeper for the New Lisbon, Ohio, Coal company for several
years. During his residence in New Lisbon he assisted in
organizing the First National bank, of which he was the first
cashier. He had been reading law at intervals for some
time previous, and was admitted to the bar at New Lisbon in
1876. He removed to Youngstown in 1879, and has since been
engaged in practice in this city.
was married in 1871 to Miss Charlotte M.,
daughter of William and Almira Tibbits, and has a
family of three daughters.
MONROE W. JOHNSON
WILLIAM J. LAWTHERS
MASON EVANS was born in
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Nov. 24, 1849. His father,
Owen Evans, was born in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, and
resided in Philadelphia until his death in 1859. His
mother, Sarah Roe Evans, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio,
and now resides in Philadelphia. He was a graduate of the
law department of the University of Pennsylvania, class of 1869.
His law instructor was Aaron Thompson, of Philadelphia.
He was admitted to the bar in Philadelphia, Nov. 23, 1870.
He removed to Youngstown, Ohio, Sept. 19, 1871, and was admitted
to the bar of Ohio at Warren, in 1875, and is now practicing law
in partnership with General Thomas W. Sanderson, firm of
Sanderson & Evans. He was married June 8, 1876, at
Youngstown, Ohio, to Miss Lucy E. Gerwig, daughter of
Frederick Gerwig, of German nativity, an iron manufacturer
SIDNEY STRONG was born in
Strongsville, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, June 12, 1839. He
read law at Columbus, Ohio, with C. N. Olds, and was there
admitted to the bar in 1867. He came to Youngstown shortly
after, commenced practice, in which he still continues.
He was married at Youngstown, Ohio, Dec. 10, 1872, to
Miss Mary A. Gerlick, of that city.
CECIL D. HINE was born Aug. 3,
1849, in Hubbard, Trumbull county, Ohio, where his parents then
resided. They were Samuel Hine, now of
Poland, Ohio, who was born in Youngstown, and was a son of
Homer Hine, one of the earliest lawyers of the
Reserve, and Ellen L. (Montgomery) Hine, of Coitsville,
Ohio, daughter of Robert Montgomery, an early settler,
and who, in 1806, built
and operated in Poland, Ohio, a furnace for making iron, one of
the first furnaces in Ohio.
He attended the Western Reserve college to the
beginning of senior year. That college has since conferred
on him the degree of A. M. He read law two years with
Taylor & Jones, at Warren, Ohio, and was there
admitted to the bar, by the district court of Trumbull county,
Apr. 15, 1872. He soon after commenced practice at
Youngstown, where he now resides, engaged in practice. He
was married at Poland, Ohio Oct. 9, 1872, to Miss Lizzie W.
Woodruff, a native of that plaze.
MOSES H. BURKEY was born in
Berlin, Mahoning county, Ohio, Sept. 15, 1846. His parents
were Jacob and
Catharine Burkey, of German ancestry. He read law
with F. G. Servis and G. Van Hyning, at Canfield,
Ohio, was there admitted to the bar Apr. 19, 1869, practiced his
profession there from that date to Aug. 20, 1876, when he
removed to Youngstown, where he has since re
sided engaged in practice. He was elected mayor of
Canfield in April, 1871, and held that office by subsequent
elections to April, 1875. He was married at Berlin, Oct.
23, 1870, to Miss Mary A. Burkey, of that place.
WILLIAM S. ANDERSON
was born in North Jackson, Mahoning county, Ohio, Dec. 31, 1847.
His father, David Anderson, was born in Ireland. His
Hannah L. (Shaw) Anderson, was of Irish descent. He
read law at Warren with Hutchins & Glidden; was
admitted to the bar there Apr. 7, 1870, commenced practice
shortly after in Canfield, Ohio, and removed to Youngstown in
1877, where he practiced for several years in partnership with
Louis R. King,
until February, 1882, when the latter commenced his term as
probate judge, as Anderson & King.
He was married Oct. 6, 1864, to Miss Louisa M.
Shields, of Boardman, Ohio, daughter of Andrew Shields,
one of the early citizens of the Reserve.
Source: History of Trumbull & Mahoning Counties - Vol. I -
Chapter IX - Mahoning Co. - Publ. Cleveland: H. Z. Williams &
Bro. 1882 - Page 224
JARED HUXLEY was born in
Ellsworth, Mahoning county, Ohio, July 23, 1840. His
father, Socrates L. Huxley, was born in New Marlborough,
Berkshire county, Massachusetts. His mother, Pauline
(Spaulding) Huxley, was born in Pomfret, Litchfield county,
Connecticut. They emigrated, in early life, to Ellsworth,
where they now reside. He graduated at Oberlin in 1867,
read law with Charles W. Palmer in Cleveland, Ohio, and
was admitted to the bar at Norwalk, Huron county, Ohio, Apr. 3,
During the war of 1861 he was clerk in the
quartermaster's department of Nashville, Tennessee, and at
Mobile, Alabama. For two years immediately preceding his
admission to the bar, he was professor of mathematics and theory
of accounts in Felton & Bigelow's Business college
at Cleveland, and for a year prior held the same position at
Star City Business college at Lafayette, Indiana. On his
admission to the bar he commenced practice at Canfield, and on
the removal of the county-seat to Youngstown he removed to that
city, where he is now engaged in the practice of law.
WILLIAM T. GIBSON was born
in Youngstown, Ohio, Dec. 20, 1859. His parents were:
Samuel Gibson, born in Youngstown, Mar. 17, 1819, son
of one of the earliest pioneers, and Nancy J. (Gault) Gibson,
born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, Sept. 25, 1825.
He graduated at the Rayen school, of Youngstown, June
20, 1872, and at Western Reserve college, Hudson, Ohio, June 25,
1876. He read law with George F. Arrel at
Youngstown, and was admitted to bar at Warren, Ohio, Sept. 3,
1878. He has since resided in Youngstown, and engaged in
BURDETTE O. EDDY was born in
Windsor, Ashtabula county, Ohio, Apr. 11, 1846. He was the son
of Lorenzo S. and Elizabeth (Eaton) Eddy. They were
natives of Connecticut. On the father's side he is of
Scotch descent, his paternal ancestor being an emigrant to the
United States about the year 1700. His great-grandfather
was a soldier of the Revolution. His grandfather was a
soldier in the War of 1812. His mother was of English
descent. Her ancestors came to the United States shortly
before the Revolutionary war.
Mr. Eddy graduated at the Orwell, Ohio,
Normal institute in June, 1870, and in the law department of the
Michigan university at Ann Arbor, Michigan, in the class of
1874. His law instructors were Judge T. M. Cooley
and other law lecturers in the university. He was admitted
to the supreme court of Michigan in Lansing in April, 1874, to
the United States district court at Detroit in the same month,
and to the bar of Ohio at Canfield in September, 1874. He
then removed to Youngstown and commenced the practice of law,
and has since resided there engaged in practice.
When quite a young man he was elected constable of his
native town, and held the office for one year. In October
1880, he was appointed, by the court of common pleas, official
stenographer of the courts of Mahoning county.
He was married Sept. 17, 1874, at Orwell, Ohio, to
Miss Sarah Day, a native of the place, and by her had two
children, the oldest of whom, a son, died Jan. 13, 1879.
She died December 17, 1878. On August 17, 1879, he was again
married at New Castle, Pennsylvania, to Miss Vella Sunderlin,
a native of that city.
In the war of 1861 he was a private in battery G,
Illinois light artillery, which was attached to
the Sixteenth army corps, and
participated in the following engagements, viz: Union City,
Coffeeville, Tupelo, Old Town Creek, Hurricane Creek, Siege of
Vicksburg, all in Mississippi, Nashville, Tennessee (the two
days' action); the sieges of Spanish Fort, Blakely, and Mobile,
Alabama, from March 27th to Apr. 12, 1865. He was mustered
out at Camp Butler, Springfield, Illinois, Sept. 4, 1865.
After being mustered out of the United States army he went on to
the plains of Nebraska, Dakota, Colorado, and Wyoming, where he
acted for three years in the capacity of train boss, scout and
hunter to various trading parties in that section, and was
captain of the vigilance committee of the Laramie valley for
over a year. He was wounded in a single-handed combat with
a party of Indians at Cooper creek, Wyoming Territory, in
August, 1868. He returned to Ohio in that year, where he
has resided since, except when pursuing his law studies in
ADDIS E. KNIGHT
was born in Leesville, Carroll county, Ohio, Oct. 29, 1852.
His parents were Robert E. and Mary E. (Lawthers) Knight,
born natives of Ohio. He removed with his parents to
Youngstown in 1869, graduated at the Rayen school in Youngstown,
read law with his father, then a practicing lawyer in
Youngstown, was admitted to the bar at Canfield September, 1874,
and has since practiced law in Youngstown. He was elected
justice of the peace of Youngstown township Apr. 5, 1880.
He was married Apr. 19, 1879, at Youngstown, to
Miss Grace Johnson, a native of that city.
ALBERT JACOB WOOLF was
born in Berlin township, Mahoning county, Ohio, Apr. 26, 1852.
His father, Jacob Woolf, was born near
Martinsburg, Virginia, July 25, 1819, but his home, the greater
part of the time, until he reached manhood, was near Hagerstown,
Maryland. His mother, whose maiden name was Christina
Reichard, was born near Mount Alto, Guilford township,
Franklin county, Pennsylvania. They were both of German
descent. They were married Dec. 9, 1847, migrated to Ohio
in May, 1848, and settled in Berlin township, on the east bank
of the Mahoning, nearly opposite the village of Frederick, and
there resided until the spring of 1861, when they
removed into the adjoining township of Milton, where his mother
still resides. His father died Jan. 14, 1874. The
name of the family, as written by his ancestors, is Wolf,
but his father, Jacob, about 1850, commenced using two
o's, which orthography has always been used by his children,
although his other relations still practice the old way of
spelling the name Wolf. This departure from the old
way of spelling was the result of a spirit of originality rather
than any other cause.
The subject of this sketch entered Mount Union college
in the fall of 1872 and graduated in 1876. He also
attended and completed a commercial course at Hiram college in
1871, and in 1874 he attended, part of the year, at Wittenberg
college, in Springfield, Ohio. Prior to entering college, and
during part of the time of his collegiate course, he taught
school at intervals in Mahoning county, and in the fall and
winter of 1873–74 he taught school in Johnson county, Missouri.
He prepared for the bar in Youngstown, Ohio, studying with
Van Hyning & Johnston part of the time, and
the residue with C. R. Truesdale. He was admitted
to the bar by the supreme court at Columbus, Ohio, June 4, 1878,
and has practiced law at Youngstown since that time. He is
a member of the board of school examiners of Mahoning county,
and has served in that office for over three years past.
He was the Democratic candidate for probate judge of Mahoning
county in the fall of 1881, but was not elected.
DAVID TOD FORD
ELLIOTT M. WILSON
STEPHEN L. CLARK
JOHN H. CLARK
I. BARCLAY MILLER
WILLIAM N. ASHBAUGH,
was born May 14, 1854, at Freeport, Armstrong county,
Pennsylvania. His parents were William and Eliza A.
(Metz) Ashbaugh. He removed with them to Youngstown,
Ohio, in October, 1874. He read law with David M.
Wilson and William J. Lawthers, and was admitted to
the bar by the district court at Youngstown, Apr. 3, 1877, and
has since resided there engaged in practice.
WILLIAM E. HOWELLS
was born in Youngstown, Ohio, Mar. 10, 1857. His parents
were Anthony and Elizabeth Howells, of Welsh nativity,
but who early in life emigrated to Youngstown. they now
reside in Massillon, Ohio. His father held the office of
State treasurer for one term and is now and has been for several
years largely engaged in coal mining and furnace
business, at and near Massillon.
read law with William S. Anderson, at Youngstown, was
there admitted to the bar Mar. 17, 1879, and resided there since
WILLIAM A. MALINE
WILLIAM B. M'GEHAN
JAMES P. WILSON
MELVIN CARY M'NABB
was born in Bucks county, Pennsylvania, Oct. 25, 1844, and
removed to Ohio with his parents in 1856. He received his
early education in the district school and in the high school at
Salem, Columbiana county, Ohio, and taught district school a few
terms. He studied law with J. C. Stanley, Esq., of
Alliance, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar in March, 1879.
He commenced practice in Youngstown in September, 1879, and has
since resided there, continuing the practice of his profession.
CLATE A. SMITH
BENJAMIN F. WIRT
was born in West Middlesex, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, Mar.
26, 1852, and removed
with his parents to Youngstown, Ohio, in December of that year.
He was a son of William Wirt, a native of
Youngstown, and Eliza Jane (Sankey) Wirt, a native of
Pennsylvania. He was a graduate of the Rayen school, of
Youngstown. His law instructor was L. D. Woodworth,
of Youngstown, and he was admitted to the bar in Columbus, Ohio,
Mar. 11, 1871, and commenced the practice in Youngstown, where
he now resides, engaged in practice in partnership with his
former preceptor, under the firm name of Woodworth &
Wirt. He was married on the 23d day of June, 1881, at
New Bedford, Pennsylvania, to Miss Mary M. McGeehen, a
resident of that place and a native of Pennsylvania.
was born in Poland, Ohio, Sept. 3, 1853. He was a son of
Thomas W. and Margaret
(Truesdale) Kennedy. His early education was in the
common schools. He prepared for college at the Poland Union
seminary, and graduated at Westminster college, Pennsylvania, in
1876. He read law at Youngstown with General T. W.
Sanderson, and was admitted to the bar Mar. 16, 1879, and
commenced practice in Youngstown, where he resides and engaged
GEORGE C. HATCH
was born in West Farmington, Trumbull county, Ohio, June 24,
1857, and is the son of H. H. and Jennett (Lane) Hatch.
He graduated at the Western Reserve seminary in 1877, and at
Oberlin college in 1878, read law with Jones & Murray
at Youngstown, was admitted to the bar in 1879, practiced his
profession for a short time at Warren, Ohio, and then removed to
Youngstown, Ohio, where he has since resided, and engaged in
was born in the county of Fermanaugh, Ireland, Nov. 2, 1848.
He was the son of William and Eliza (McCurdy) Swanston.
He came to the United States and to Mahoning county, Ohio, with
his parents in 1851. He attended the Union seminary at
Poland, Ohio, and after wards entered the Western Reserve
college at Hudson, Ohio, but left before finishing the course.
He studied law with Anderson & King, Youngstown,
Ohio, and was admitted to the bar at Youngstown, Ohio, Mar. 17,
1879; commenced practice there, where he is now in practice, in
partnership with his brother George, as Swanston
GEORGE SWANSTON was born in
Coitsville, Mahoning county, Ohio, January 5, 1852; is a son of
William and Eliza (McCurdy) Swanston, natives of Ireland,
who came to the United States in 1851. He was a graduate
of Poland Union seminary, class of 1876. His law instructor was
William S. Anderson, of Youngstown, Ohio, and was
admitted to the bar in that city Mar. 17, 1879. Since his
admission has there practiced law in partnership with his
brother Edward, under the firm name of Swanston
JOHN A. LADD
was born at Newton Falls, Trumbull county, Ohio, Jan. 17, 1848.
He was the son of William P. and Letitia (Clark) Ladd.
His father was a blacksmith and a native of Vermont. His
mother was a native of New Jersey. He came to Youngstown
in 1865, was engaged in drug business five years and then in
insurance and collecting business. He read law with
Jones & Murray, at Youngstown, and was admitted to
the bar at Jefferson, Ashtabula county, Mar. 19, 1878, and then
commenced practice in Youngstown in which he is now engaged.
PATRICK F. GILLIES
was born in Airdrie, Lanarkshire, Scotland, July 27, 1854.
He came to the United States in 1871, making his home at
Chicago, where he resided until 1874, when he removed to
Lowellville, Mahoning county, and soon after to Youngstown.
He read law with Isaac A. Justice, at Youngstown, and was
there admitted to the bar Mar. 17, 1879, where he immediately
commenced practice, and now resides.
HALLETT K. TAYLOR was born
in Ravenna, Ohio, Nov. 2, 1857. He was a son of Ezra B.
and Harriet M. (Frazer) Taylor, both natives of Portage
county, Ohio. His father was for several years judge of the
common pleas of the second subdivision of
the ninth judicial district, and is now (1882) Representative in
Congress from the nineteenth Ohio Congressional district. H.
K. Taylor was a graduate of the Western Reserve college, at
Hudson, Ohio, class of 1879. Read law with his father at
Warren, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar at Columbus, Ohio, in
June, 1881. He then commenced practice in Youngstown,
Ohio, where he now resides.
WILLIAM H. CALLAHAN
THOMAS F. HANSARD
DANIEL L. THOMAS
LEWIS W. KING
JOHN L. BUTLER
HENRY C. CASSIDY
SIDNEY DE LAMAR JACKSON
was born in Hubbard, Trumbull county, Ohio, Apr. 9, 1855.
His parents were Joseph M. and Rebecca L. Jackson.
His father was born in New Bedford, Pennsylvania; his mother in
Hubbard, Ohio. They reside in Coitsville, where he
received his early education. He read law in Youngstown
with Hon. David M. Wilson. He was admitted to the
bar at the district court in Canfield, Ohio, Apr. 3, 1877, and
commenced practice in Youngstown, where he is now practicing in
partnership with William T. Gibson.
He was married at Fredonia, New York, Dec. 14, 1880, to
Miss Mary E. Cushing, of that place.
HOMER H. HINE
RIDGELEY J. POWERS
WILLIS WARING POWERS
FRANCIS E. HUTCHINS
ROBERT E. KNIGHT
JOHN H. KING
GEORGE J. WARD
WILLIAM CAREY BUNTS
HENRY G. LESLIE
HALBERT B. CASE
WILLIAM M. OSBORN
WILLIAM L. BROWN was born in
New England, and removed to Canfield with his mother, a widow,
when quite young. He attended the academy there, read law and
was admitted to the bar in 1863. Shortly after, he went to
Mon tana, remained there a few years, returned and located in
Youngstown, where he engaged in practicing law and in publishing
the Youngstown Vindicator, a democratic weekly journal. About
1879 he purchased an interest in the New York Daily News, sold
his interest in the Vindicator, and removed to New York city,
where he now resides, engaged in editing and publishing the
Daily News. In December, 1878, he was married at
Washington city to Miss Henrietta Jeffries, daughter of
General M. L. Jeffries of that city, formerly a lawyer of
ELGIN A. ANGELL
was born in the State of New York, was admitted
to the bar at Canfield in 1876. He practiced a short time
thereafter in Youngstown and removed to Cleveland where he now
resides, engaged in practice.
JOHN C. HUTCHINS,
was born in Warren, Ohio, son of John Hutchins, a lawyer
now of Cleveland, Ohio. He was admitted to the bar at
Canfield, Ohio, in 1866, commenced practice in Youngstown,
remained there a short time and removed to Cleveland, where he
now resides, engaged in practice.
CORNELIUS M. BROWN
was born in Youngstown, Ohio, was there admitted to the bar in
1878. He practiced in Youngstown a short time and removed
to Springfield, Ohio, where he is now engaged in practice.
WILLIAM W. WHITTLESEY
JAMES B. BLOCKSOM
ENSIGN CHURCH BLOCKSOM
EPHRAIM JAMES ESTEP
EDWARD G. CANFIELD
FRANCIS G. SERVIS
GARRETSON I. YOUNG
ISAAC E. COFFEE
was born in Salem, Colunmbiana county,
read law with
S. W. Gilson, Esq., at Canfield, was there admitted to
the bar in 1855; practiced law there in partnership with Mr.
Gilson, and died at Canfield in September, 1859. He
was married to Miss Kate Hine, of Canfield, Nov. 19,
CHARLES A. HARRINGTON
was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, and there admitted to the
bar. He practiced for a time at Canfield, and returned to
Trumbull county and resumed practice at Warren. He there
held the office of clerk of the courts for several years.
THEREON M. RICE
was born in Trumbull county, Ohio; admitted to the bar, and
removed to Canfield, Ohio, about 1855; practiced there a few
years and removed to Missouri, where he was elected a judge of
the common pleas, and in 1880, a Representative in Congress for
the seventh district.
SAMUEL W. GILSON
was born in Pennsylvania. He graduated at Washington
college in that State, taught school, read law, and was admitted
to the bar in Columbiana county, Ohio. He removed to
Canfield soon after the organization of Mahoning county, and
there resided, in the practice of law until his death.
He was elected representative in the Ohio Legislature from
Mahoning county in 1858, and served one term. He died at
Canfield in May, 1874.
JOHN W. CHURCH
was born in Canfield, Ohio, was a son of John R. Church,
an early settler of that township, for many years a merchant,
and for one term an associate judge of the court of common pleas
of Trumbull county. He was admitted to the bar about 1850.
He practiced in Canfield a few years in partnership with
David M. Wilson as Wilson & Church, and removed to
Massillion, Stark county, Ohio. He was there
elected judge of the common pleas, and died some years since.
He was married about 1856, to Miss Francis Pease,
daughter of Samuel Pease, Esq., a lawyer of Massilon.
was born about 1806, and was a son of an early
pioneer of Canfield. He was raised on a farm, became a
practical farmer and surveyor. He read law and was
admitted to the bar at Warren, Ohio, about 1840. He
practiced law in Canfield, in addition to surveying, for many
years, but has no retired from law practice, in a great measure,
and is engaged in other business.
HORACE G. RUGGLES,
son of Charles Ruggles, was born in Canfield; attended
the Mahoning academy; read law and at was admitted to the bar
about 1860. He practiced in Canfield a few years and
removed to the West. He was married, dec. 24, 1863, to
Miss Amanda C. Hoyle, of Berlin, Ohio.
EDWIN C. RUGGLES
is a son of Charles Ruggles.
He was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1869,
practiced there a few yeas and removed to Cuyahoga falls,
Summi8t county, Ohio, where he resides engaged in practice.
He was married Apr. 20, 1859, to
Miss Catharine McFarland, of Canfield, Ohio.
JOHN S. ROLLER was born in
Green, Mahoning (then Columbiana) county, Ohio, Sept. 27, 1839.
His parents were Simon and Mary Ann (Weikert) Roller,
whose parents were early settlers of that township.
He attended the Mahoning academy at Canfield, read law and was
admitted to the bar in Portage county in May, 1871. He
commenced practice in Leetonia, Columbiana county, in November,
1871. In April, 1874, he removed to Canfield, where he has
since resided, in practice, part of the time in partnership with
William S. Anderson as Anderson & Roller.
He was married Jan. 15, 1868, at Canfield, to Miss
Asenath A. Fitzpatrick.
LANDON MASTIN for a number of
years was a resident of Smithother, Mahoning county, Ohio;
engaged in other business. He read law with F. G.
Servis, Esq., of Canfield, and was there admitted to the bar
in 1870. He resides there now, practicing occasionally, but
engaged in other business. He was married Nov. 15,
1850, to Miss Harriett Santee of Smith township.
ENSIGN N. BROWN was born in
Canfield Dec. 9, 1854. He is son of Richard and Thalia
F. (Newton) Brown, then of New York city, and grandson of
Eben Newton, of Canfield, a lawyer of distinction,
and one of the oldest on the Reserve. In 1878 he removed
to Canfield, Ohio, with his parents, who were former residents
of that place. He read law with Judge Newton,
and with Van Hyning & Johnston, and was admitted to the
bar at Columbus, Ohio, in 1888, and commenced practice in
Canfield, where he is still in practice.
FRANCIS C. NESBIT was born
in Pennsylvania, attended the academy at Canfield, Ohio, read
law, and was admitted to the bar of Ohio about 1860, and
commenced practice at Canfield. He was a justice of the
peace of that township from 1866 to 1869, and removed West about
1870. He was married in October, 1861, to Miss Ellen
Wright, of Tallmadge, Ohio.
HARRISON J. EWING was born
in Milton, Ohio, was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1876,
practiced a short time in the county, and removed to Cuyahoga
county. He was married Nov. 23, 1866, to Miss Sarah
Patterson, of Milton, Ohio.
ALEXANDER H. MOORE was born
in Milton, Mahoning county, Ohio, was admitted to the bar at
Canfield in 1859, practiced there a few years, and afterwards in
Youngstown, and removed back to Milton, where he is engaged in
other business, occasionally attending to law practice.
JOHN J. MOORE was born in
Milton, Ohio, was admitted to the bar at Canfield in 1863,
practiced some time in Canfield, and removed to Ottawa, Putnam
county, Ohio. He resumed practice there, and in 1878 was
elected judge of the court of common pleas of the Third
subdivision of the Third judicial district.
He was married at Milton, Ohio, May 19, 1859, to
Miss Elizabeth Patterson, of that township.
SELDEN HAINES was the son of
parents who removed from New England to Vernon, Trumbull county,
Ohio, and were among the early settlers of the Reserve. He
was born about 1806. He graduated at Yale college in 1826,
read law and was admitted to the bar in Trumbull county about
1828, and commenced practice in Poland, Ohio. In July,
1832, he was colonel of the First Rifle regiment, First brigade
and Fourth division, Ohio militia. He practiced law
several years at Poland, and then entered the ministry of the
gospel. He removed from Poland and was, in 1882, the
pastor of a Presbyterian church in Rome, New York. In 1872
he received from the college at Maryville, Tennessee, the
honorary degree of S. T. D.
CHARLES E. GLIDDEN
FREDERICK W. BEARDSLEY
WILLIAM B. DAWSON
JOHN H. LEWIS
was born at Gwynnedd, Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, July 2,
1814. His parents were Jesse and Susannah Lewis,
natives of that place. He graduated at Gwynnedd high
school in 1835, removed to Greenford, then in Columbiana county,
Ohio, Sept. 18, 1841; read law with Umbstaetter &
Stanton in New Lisbon, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar at
New Lisbon in the spring of 1843. He practiced at
Greenford until the spring of 1846, when he removed to Canfield
on the organization of Mahoning county. He practiced there
about eight years and then removed to Cincinnati, and remained
about eight years engaged in practice, He then returned to
Greenford, where he has since resided, engaged in other
business, and also practicing law to some extent.
EMERY E. KNOWLTON
GILES VAN HYNING
B. S. HIGLEY
JOSEPH R. JOHNSTON
ALBERT B. LOGAN,
was born in Poland, Ohio, (read law) and enlisted and served
during part of the war of the Rebellion in the Union army;
afterwards read law and was admitted to the bar at Canfield, in
1866; practiced for a time in Mahoning county, and removed to
JOHN W. CRACRAFT
JAMES M. NASH
POLAND LAW COLLEGE
The following gentlemen, admitted to the bar in Mahoning county,
practiced in the county for longer or shorter periods, but are
now deceased, having removed from the county or have
discontinued practice. The dates of admission are added to
|J. W. Stanley,
||W. V. S. Eaton,
||N. A. Gilbert,
|W. R. Brownlee,
||Augustus L. Herliger,
||John B. Barnes,
||Robert W. Tayer, Jr.,
The following gentlemen, admitted elsewhere, have practiced for
longer or shorter periods in Mahoning county, but have removed.
The state or county whence from and present residence, if known,
are added to their names:
from Massachusetts to Michigan;
Andrew J. Dyer,
to St. Louis;
Charles F. Abell, from
Ashtabula county to New York State, was married at Youngstown,
Nov. 12, 1879, to Miss Ada Murray of that city;
Edwin S. Hubbard,
from New York State to a western State;
from Salem, Columbiana county, to a western State, now deceased;
J. R. Clarke,
from Kansas to Pennsylvania;
William Collins, F. S.
D. T. Hervey,
from Pennsylvania and returned to Pennsylvania;
M. D. Tanneyhill,
William Case, to a western State.
< CLICK HERE
TO RETURN TO 1882 TABLE OF CONTENTS >