OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 
Welcome to
Marion County, Ohio

History & Genealogy

Biographies

Source:
The History of Marion County, Ohio

Containing
A History of the County; Its Townships, Towns, Churches, Schools, etc.:
General and Local Statistics;  Military Record; Portraits of Early Settlers and Prominent Men;
History of Ohio; Miscellaneous Matters, Etc., Etc.
Illustrated
Publ. Chicago; Leggett, Conaway & Co. -
1883

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO 1883 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX>
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >

 

  Richland Twp. -
JACOB YAKE was born Oct. 8, 1852, in Richmond Twp., the son of George and Catharine (Wick) Yake.  His grandfather Yake came from Germany about 1833, entering eighty acres near where our subject resides, and cleared nearly the whole farm.  He died when aged eighty-five years, his only child having inherited the property, and increased it to 440 acres, all joining and also purchased 150 acres in Morrow County, where he still resides.  His family consists of three sons and one daughter.  Recently he gave to each child eighty acres, obliging them to pay $1,600 each.  Our subject having received a common school education, married March 18, 1875, Miss Caroline Groll, daughter of Frederick Groll.  The names of their three children are Harvey J., Charles W. and Ella C. B.  In 1878, Mr. Yake built a neat house, expending therefore $1,500.  His farm is worth $75 per acre.  His politics are Democratic.
Source: The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 962
  Marion Twp. -
JOHN J. YAKE, deceased.  The subject of this sketch was born in Opfingen, Baden, Jan. 13, 1793.  He grew to manhood on a farm, and when of age he learned the stone-mason trade, which he followed through life.  In 1833, he emigrated to the United States with his wife and two children, and settled in Richland Township, this county, where he purchased eighty acres of land.  He cleared up most of this farm.  He was one of the pioneer settlers of the township, and died on the homestead May 8, 1848, leaving a widow and four children, three children having died.  They were as follows:  Anna, born May 19, 1821, and died May 27, 1821; Anna (second), born Mar. 15, 1823, and died July 12, 1823; Judith, born Dec. 12, 1824, wife of Rev. A. Ernst; Catharine, born Nov. 3, 1826, wife of August Kraner, John J., born Nov. 15, 1831, and died Apr. 2, 1833; Christina, born Jun. 6, 1836, widow of Cyrus Seibert; and Daniel, born Dec. 25, 1840.  Mrs. Anna Yake was born in Opfingen, Baden, July 26, 1799, and was married to Mrs. Yake Mar. 5, 1820, and died at Marion, Ohio, Aug. 8, 1873.  Daniel Yake, the youngest child, and member of the firm of Yake & Uhler, merchants, was born on the homestead in Richland Township.  When eight years old, he removed to Marion with his mother, and for two years and a half found employment with R. R. Durfee.  In 1857, he began as a clerk for Lucas & Seffner, merchants, and occupied that position with this firm eleven years.  He then became a member of the firm of Reed & Yake, which partnership continued until 1876.  Immediately, he engaged in business with Mr. Uhler, under the present firm name.  Mr. Yake has acquired a good success in the pursuits of mercantile business, first starting as a clerk and finally rising to the head of a large mercantile establishment.  Oct. 5, 1863, Mr. Yake was married to Miss Rachel L. Bridge, daughter of Dr. W. W. Bridge, formerly of Marion.   Mrs. Yake was born in Prospect, Ohio, Aug. 16, 1846.  To this union three children were born, viz., William W., Eva B. and Harry D.  Mr. Yake owns a substantial brick residence on East Center street and one-half of the store room which is now occupied by Yake & Uhler.  He is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Source: The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 647
  Big Island Twp. -
MRS. MARY O. YAUGER is the widow of Jacob A. Yauger, the daughter of Hampton Wood, and was born Nov. 10, 1848.  In 1871, she married Mr. Yauger, a soldier of the late war, of Company K, Fourth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He was first a bugler, and then a member of an army band, serving three years.  His death took place in 1880, the Free Will Baptist Church losing a valuable worker.  Mrs. Y., his widow, continues in faithfulness, ministering to her father's declining years.  Her only child - Georgie - died soon after his father, aged about six years.
Source: The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 671
  Prospect Twp. -
GABRIEL M. YOUNG, harness and saddlery, Prospect Village, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, Dec. 6, 1840, and is son of Reuben T. and Maria (Brouse) Young; the former born near Niagara Falls, Canada, and the latter in Wayne County, Ohio.  G. M. Young learned his trade in the shop of his father, who was a harness-maker.  Soon after he completed his trade he came to Prospect Village.  He was married, in 1863, to Maggie A. Landon, daughter of Rev. P. P. Landon, of Prospect, and in the spring of 866 he opened a harness-shop in the village of his own account.  He continued business here until the fall of 1867, when he moved to Platte County, Neb., where he took up a homestead of eighty acres, situated six miles form the Union Pacific Railroad, and seventy-five miles west of Omaha.  Their habitation, into which they immediately moved, was a "dug-out," or a hole dug in the side of a hill, with a dirt floor, wall and roof; the roof was supported by poles.  The family subsisted mostly upon game meat for the first three years.  The first shot that Mr. Young fired at game in that region was a six-prong buck, which he killed.  From the door of his "dug-out" he shot and killed six wolves the first year, and many a night heard the wolves scratching at his door to make an entrance.  In this habitation the family lived nine years, when he built a frame house.  While living on this land Mr. Young still worked at his trade, doing the work in the dug-out.  He bought his stock at North Bend, a town thirteen miles distant, on the Union Pacific Railroad.  His only means of getting it home was by wheelbarrow power.  When the work was finished, it was taken to town by him in the same way.  The only mill where he could get flour or meal ground for the family was twenty-five miles away.  The family lived on this land for twelve years.  He sold the homestead in June, 1879, and moved to Schuyler, Colfax Co., Neb., where he worked at his trade until Sept. 1, when he bought the stock and harness shop of J. W. Monroe, of Schuyler, and continued in the business there for twenty-one months, when he sold out and returned to Prospect.  Mr. and Mrs. Young have seven children, as follows: William P. (born in Shelby, Richland Co., Ohio), Mary Virginia (born in Prospect), Granville Penn, Simeon A., David P., Morrison J. and Mabel Sylvania; all except the two first were born in Nebraska; the last two are twins, the by is of the brunette type and the girl a perfect blonde.  R. T. Young (father of G. M.) and four sons were in the army, at one time, during the last war.  William Perry was killed at the church on Kenesaw Mountain June 27, 1864.  At that time, Gabriel M. Young was under Gen. Grant; his boy, born the following month, July 20, 1864, he named after the fallen hero boy, the youngest of the four.  The oldest - Milton - was killed in Chattanooga Creek, Jan. 12, 1865, leaving a wife and son.
Source: The History of Marion Co., Ohio - Published Chicago: Leggett, Conaway & Co. - 1883 - Page 948

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MARION COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights