OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
A Part of Genealogy Express
Marion County, Ohio
History & Genealogy
Portrait & Biographical Records
of Marion & Hardin Counties, Ohio
Containing Portraits and Biographical Sketches of Prominent
and Representative Citizens of the Counties
Together with Biographies and Portraits of all the Presidents
of the United States
Chapman Publishing Co.
< CLICK HERE
TO RETURN TO 1895 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX>
< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
Among the most noted and representative men of Marion stands
Frederick Haberman, whose high reputation and material
prosperity have come as the reward of unusual natural abilities
industriously applied. He is a native of this city, and was
born on North Main Street, Sept. 1, 1854.
Christian Haberman, the father of our subject was a native of Hanover, Germany, and was born Oct. 6, 1829. His father, who bore the name of Conrad, came to America as a British soldier during the War of 1812. He was seriously wounded in one of the engagements in which he participated, and as rescued and cared for by the Americans, whom he had considered his enemies up to that time. On fully recovering from his injuries, he took up arms against the Mother Country, and was during the remainder of his stay here loyal to American interests. He returned to his native land after a residence of seventeen years in the United States, and died therein 1831, when the father of our subject was two years of age.
Christian Haberman learned the stonemason’s trade in Germany, and in 1852, oncoming to this country, located in Marion, where he gave his undivided attention to this business for many years. He then invested his surplus capital in a large stone-quarry, which he operated successfully, and as the years passed by accumulated a handsome fortune. He is also -the owner of an extensive farm, but, not being a practical farmer, has it worked by other parties, and now lives retired in Marion. Several years ago he was honored by being elected one of the Directors of the County Infirmary, a position he now holds.
The mother of our subject was Gertrude Seas before her marriage. She was also born in Germany, but came to this country with her parents when young. She became the mother of five sons, of whom Frederick is the eldest. He obtained his primary education in the schools of this county, completing his studies at the college in Berea, this state. Being now prepared to begin life for himself, he began clerking in the hardware store of George H. Kling, of Marion, and for ten years was in his employ. That gentleman then being desirous of selling his stock of goods, our subject purchased the same, and for five years was one of the successful merchants of the place. At the end of that time he withdrew from the business, and for the following year was Secretary of the Marion Manufacturing Company. He resigned this position in order to accept the offer made him by the W. Brigham Company of Cleveland to become traveling salesman. The latter company conduct one of the largest wholesale hardware establishments in the United States. After being thus employed five years, in 1892 he bought his present hardware store, and is now doing a splendid business.
Mr. Haberman is interested in many of the leading industries of the city, being the second largest stockholder in the Marion Manufacturing Company. He also has stock in the Steam Shovel Works, the Huber Manufacturing Company, the Marion Implement Company, the Ice and Cold Storage Company, and in the Automatic Boiler Feeder Company. He is President of the Marion Tool Company, President of the Marion Hedge and Wire Company, and is interested financially in the Marion Street Railway and the electric-light plant. He is a member of the Ohio State Board of Commerce, one of the executive committee of the Ohio Hardware Association, and a member of the Huber Guards.
As is plain to be seen, he is one of the most thorough and energetic business men in the city, and, being a man of observation and excellent judgment, is well posted regarding the management of most of the enterprises in which he is interested. Although a very busy man, he was prevailed upon to become a member of the City Council, and for two terms filled this office.
Frederick Haberman was married in 1875 to Miss Cora Clark, of Marion, and they have four children: Gertrude, Hallie, Henry and Fred. The grandfather of Mrs. Cora Haberman, John Clark, emigrated from Hagerstown, Md., to Marion in 1824, when Marion had a population of only about sixty. Her father, Capt. J. Walter Clark, is one of the three oldest living citizens who were born in Marion. The Haberman family occupies one of the finest residences in the city, and our subject and his wife number among their friends the best residents in the county. Socially Mr. Haberman is Exalted Ruler of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, is a Knight of Pythias, is identified with the Royal Arcanum, and is President of the Elks’ Annual Circus Carnival. Religiously he is connected with the Episcopal Church, and is now serving as Vestryman.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Marion and Hardin Counties, Ohio - 1895 - Page 227
William H. Hinklin, M.D.
|WILLIAM H. HINKLIN, M. D.
H. HORN is a bright and talented young writer, who is
making of the Marion Deutsche Presse a wide-awake and
well managed newspaper. He was born in Leipsic, Saxony,
Aug. 21, 1858, to Gustavus Horn, who was also born in
Germany, and there resided until 1881, when he came to this
country and settled in Dolgeville, N. Y., where his death
occurred in 1894.
Our subject received a splendid education in the model schools of Germany,, and after graduating, at the age of sixteen years, commenced to learn the printer's trade. After mastering this art he came to America and engaged to work in an office in Utica, and later in Syracuse, N. Y. Upon leaving the Empire State he came to Ohio and worked for a time on the leading German papers in Cleveland. In 1890 he came to Marion, and August 21, of that year published the first copy of the Deutsche Presse. He has displayed marked ability in the management of this sheet and is conducting a very successful business. Being a young man of energy and tenacity of purpose, he has each year increased his list of subscribers, and at the present time his paper has the largest circulation of any German publication outside of the large cities in Ohio.
Richard H. Horn was married, Aug. 21, 1886, to Miss Louise, daughter of John Herig, of Cleveland, who has the honor of being the oldest furniture dealer in Cleveland. To our subject and his wife there was born one child, who died in infancy. The mother of Mr. Horn, Mrs. Theresa (Lehman) Horn, was born in Germany, but now makes her home in Dolgeville, N.Y.
As an editor of a good newspaper our subject wields a marked influence in the public and political like of the community. He is a stanch Democrat in politics, and the tenor of the Presse is also Democratic.
(† Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Marion and Hardin Counties, Ohio - 1895 - Page 178)
HUBER, President of the Huber Manufacturing
Company, of Marion, Ohio, an immense concern, which give employment
to more than four hundred hands, and which has almost a national
reputation, is still another example of the men who have been the
architects of their own fortune; who, starting with nothing that
might be called an advantage in life, have still by some inherent
quality of genius and perseverance, and the faculty of seizing the
chances which fate threw in their way, risen to positions of
prominence and usefulness never, perhaps, dreamed of in their early
days, when life was often a struggle for existence.
Aside from the fact that the family is of German descent, very little is known of the genealogy of the Huber family. The father, Philip Huber, was one of four brothers who came to the United States from Germany. The eldest brother, Albert, a farmer, died in Indiana. The youngest, John, was a soldier in the Civil War, and lost his life while serving gallantly in this country’s cause. The father of Edward was a cabinetmaker by trade, and on coming to this country when a young man followed his business at first at Philadelphia. On leaving that city, he went to Kelso, Dearborn County, Ind., and purchased a small farm. On this he erected a little shop, in which he carried on blacksmithing, cabinet-making, and, in fact, anything to eke out the scanty products of the farm. He had married Miss Mary Kerns, also a native of Germany, who came to America in 1834, and into their humble home was born their son Edward on the 1st of September, 1837.
Our subject grew up almost without knowing what an education, in the sense in which it is now understood, was. The district schools, such as they were, were only conducted for a few months of each year, the distance to school through the thinly settled neighborhoods was often great, and in the case of many of the pupils their sendees could seldom be spared from the necessary work of the farm. Edward Huber’s education was of the most elementary description, and at the age of fifteen, with no other prospect before him, he decided to learn the blacksmith’s trade. He worked at this business for eight years, and while thus employed found an opening for his inventive skill in the designing and manufacturing of numerous useful articles, the most important of which, a hay rake, was destined some time later to give him his first start toward financial success. Being thoroughly convinced of the merits of the rake, and feeling sure that if it could be manufactured well and cheaply there was money in it, he began to prospect for a place suitable for a manufacturing site. Hearing that wood was plentiful in this county, he made a journey to this place in 1865, and while here was able to interest some parties with capital, with the result that in the same year a company was formed to manufacture the rake, and the firm of Kawalke, Hammerle & Co. came into existence, with our subject as junior partner.
From the establishment of this concern our subject's success in life dates. The invention proved a great boon to farmers, and before they ceased manufacturing it the firm sold more than two hundred thousand. In 1870 the firm became Huber, Gunn & Co., and continued thus until our subject organized the Huber Manufacturing Company, with a capital of $75,000. He had in the mean time invented and patented another valuable implement—a revolving road scraper, which also met with a great sale. Indeed, one of the 'chief elements in his success is the fact that all the implements turned out by the different firms with which he is connected fill a want that nothing hitherto in the market has been able to. In 1880 he invented the Huber Threshing Machine and Engine, that has given him a reputation which extends throughout America, and made his name a household word among the fanners. It has proved the most profitable of all his inventions, and in order to facilitate its manufacture large new shops were erected in 1889. In this great establishment, as stated before, more than four hundred men are given employment, and the advantages accruing to the town from its location here are incalculable. In addition to being the head of the Huber Manufacturing Company, Mr. Huber is President of the Marion Steam Shovel Works, which also owe a great deal of their prosperity to his fostering care. When H. M. Barnhart invented the steam shovel, he had no means to build the first one, and thus demonstrate its capabilities, and in his extremity applied to Mr. Huber, who, with no mean professional jealousy, provided the capital to build the first machine. The article proved all that its inventor had hoped for, and when the Marion Steam Shovel Company was organized, Mr. Huber took a large block of stock, and was made the President of a concern which has made all those who took shares in it rich. He was also the founder, and is the President, of the Marion Malleable Iron Works, is President and one of the founders of the Marion Automatic Boiler Feeder Company, President of the Marion Implement Company, is a Director in the Electric Light and Power Company, Vice- President of the Marion Milling Company, and a Director in a large bank of the town. In fact, there is hardly an enterprise of any importance whatever in the place which has not felt the benefit of his intelligent appreciation of its individual needs, and of his forethought and judgment in discerning the proper policy to be pursued in its management. His is the master mind which sets in motion and harmonizes the working parts of the manifold interests under his control, until each becomes in its way a perfect mechanism, bringing prosperity to all connected with it. In the town in which he has lived since 1865, the year in which was established the little shop out of which have sprung such great results, Mr. Huber is regarded as a man worthy of the highest confidence. A good man of business in all lines, the town has felt the benefit of his progressive nature, and everything that he has done has been done with an eye single to the good of the place. Filling the position that he does, he is beset with trials that individuals in the ordinary walks of life know little about. His success or failure means the success or failure of the many beings to whom he furnishes employment, and the sense of responsibility that is produced by that fact would unfit most men for their work. But he still keeps his clear brain and elastic nature, and, like Caesar, is still "looking for new worlds to conquer."
On the 30th of October, 1865, Mr. Huber married Miss Elizabeth Hammerle, a lady who shares with her husband in the esteem and confidence of her acquaintances, and has helped him in the numberless ways in which a true woman helps those who are near and dear to her. They have two children: Frank A., who is Treasurer of the Marion Steam Shovel Company; and Catherine, who married John Schroder, who manages the shipping department and is purchasing clerk of the Huber Works, Mr. Huber has lately completed what is considered the finest residence in this part of the state, and which was built at a cost of $40,000. Here he and his wife receive their guests with a tactful and genial courtesy and hospitality which render a visit to the charming home a joy to be remembered.
Mrs. Huber is an attendant at the Catholic Church. When the Young Men’s Christian Association Building was in course of erection, Mr. Huber, who has always taken a great interest in the work of the association, remembering his own early struggles and privations, was among the most liberal contributors to the fund. Though an exceedingly busy man, he still finds time to take an interest in politics, but holds himself independent of party ties.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Records of Marion & Hardin Counties, Ohio - 1895~ Page 131
|Caledonia Twp. -
WILLIAM E. HULL is the progressive and able editor of the Caledonia Enterprise, with which he has been connected as proprietary and publisher for only three years, but during this time has infused new life and energy into the journal, which is now considered one of the best issued in this section of the state. The Enterprise is devoted strictly to the local field, and is specially alive to the interests of this particular community. On political questions it is independent.
The parents of William E. Hull were James H. and Mina (Campbell) Hull. The former was born in Pennsylvania, where he was reared to manhood and learned the shoemaker's trade. He later removed with his parents to Morrow County, Ohio, and continued to follow his chosen vocation in different towns of the Buckeye State until his marriage. He then purchased a farm in Morrow County, which he engaged in cultivating for several years. After a short residence in Williams County, he returned to Morrow County, bought a farm, and continued to dwell thereon until his death, which occurred at the age of fifty-six years. His parents were also born in the Keystone State, but were of Scotch extraction. Mrs. Mina Hull was born in Morrow County, Ohio, and is still living, her home now being in Denver, Colo.
The birth of William E. Hull occurred on his father's farm in Franklin Township, Morrow County, July 26, 1868, and his boyhood was passed on the old homestead. In his fourteenth year he entered a printing-office at Mt. Gilead, Ohio, remaining there for some six years and acquiring a thorough knowledge of the business during that period. Later, going to Mt. Vernon, this state, he ran a job-printing office for about a year. From the latter city he removed to Columbus, and for two years was engaged upon the Ohio State Journal, and finally, in 1892, purchased the Caledonia Argus, which had been started in 1875, but whose subscription list was small. When Mr. Hull assumed its management he changed the name and is now doing a good business. The subscribers to the sheet are constantly increasing in number, and about six hundred copies are issued weekly.
On Christmas Day, 1889, a marriage ceremony was celebrated by which Miss Nellie E. Laycox, of Mt. Gilead, became the wife of W. E. Hull. The young couple have a pleasant home and are received in the best social circles of Caledonia, where they have many warm friends.
Source: Portrait & Biographical Records of Marion & Hardin Counties, Ohio - 1895~ Page 207-8