During the night of the 29th of June, Gen. FERRY's and Gen. KIMBALL's brigades embarked on steamboats at Alexandria, and during the next day departed down the river. The men enjoyed the trip vastly, and noted with the greatest interest the historic points along the Potomac, Mt. Vernon and scenes of Colonial and Revolutionary memory, and also the many points of recent interest.
     We passed Fortress Monroe in the night, and dropped anchor in Hampton Roads, from which point, as the sun came up, we were in full view of the fort, the Rip-raps, Newport News; the masts of the Cumberland still remaining as left, when Sunk by the rebel iron clad, and other scenes of the early struggles of the rebellion.
     About eleven o'clock, July 1st, we started up the James River somewhat less jubilant than when we left Alexandria, having become, by this time, perfectly well aware of what MCCLELLAN's change of base meant, and the causes therefore. The fate of his army was now in great doubt, the most appalling disasters being feared.
     We arrived at Harrison's Landing about 2 o'clock, on the 2d of, July, where our transports were moored, and the troops debarked. The rain was falling in torrents, and the whole country appeared to be flooded. As soon as the brigades could be formed, they were marched rapidly to the right and up the river, passing through vast masses of drenched, forlorn and apparently demor­alized troops, the remnants of MCCLELLAN's army, after the seven days battles. We were in the midst of the grand army of the Potomac, the general appearance of which, gave only the faintest idea of a live "anaconda." Oar forces being fresh, were moved in the direction of Malvern Hill, and formed in line of battle near Turkey Bend, where we remained under, arms all night, in a ceaseless torrent of rain.
     The next morning, a heavy connonade commenced down the river, and Kimball's brigade was moved back about two miles, and formed with front from the river. This whole country, with the exception of the Harrison farm, was covered with dense pine forest with an occasional opening or clearing. KIMBALL was ordered to move directly to the front, and clear out any rebels he might find in his way. This was with a view of getting sufficient territory for a camp for the grand army, and no very serious fighting was expected. The gun boats in the river had been shelling the woods all the morning, which was still kept up to our right.
     We had advanced but a little way, when we came upon rebel skirmishers, and sharp shooters, but they gave way readily for the distance of a mile; none of our men were struck; though the spiteful minies whizzed through the air continually. As we passed over a large field, covered with a ripe oat crop, a battery opened upon us, firing rapidly for a few minutes, the shell in some cases taking effect in the line, occasioning some loss in the Fourth Ohio and Seventh Virginia. Gens. KRARNY and FRANKLIN, and other officers, came up and soon had a battery planted, a few rounds from which silenced the rebels, and we were left to take up our position and establish our picket line without further opposition.
      On the morning of the 4th, the glorious Fourth of July, we were aroused by a scattering fire along the picket line, and a road passing through and at right angles with the line, was completely enfiladed' by artillery and sharp shooters. This fact was discovered by JOHN BORN, a German and private of Co. C, who took old Timothy and the adjutant's horse, and riding one and leading the other, started up the road to water them. No sooner had he got fairly in the road, then a storm of balls whistled around him. The horses took the alarm, wheeled around, and came flying back, with JOHN lying down on his horse flat, and as he came up to our quarters, sung out " Meshter Colonel! Mesliter Colonel! it ish no goot going down dare!" and really from his and the horses visible terror, we would certainly sympathize with his view of the situation.
     The rebels soon opened out upon us, with a brisk fire all along our line, and Gen. KIMBALL concluded to dislodge them. Immediately in front of the Eighth, was a
thick pine wood, almost impenetrable; but as soon as the order was given, we advanced, keeping up as good a line as was possible. The rebels fell back stealthily delivering their fire from cover, and receiving: but little injury, while our men being more exposed suffered somewhat.  This skirmishing was kept up for several hours, when it became apparent that the enemy had left, and leaving a strong picket line, our troops were withdrawn. Seven men in the Eighth had been wounded, two mortally; so ended our Fourth of July.
     On the 5th, we felled the timber in our front; building temporary breastworks, with abattis. We remained in this position until the 9th; two full companies being constantly on fatigue duty, night and day, occupied in the entrenching and fortifying of camp. This afforded the men but little rest, and as our camp and garrison equipage had not come up, and our rations and means of cooking none the best, and with hot, damp weather, a good deal of sickness broke out.
     On the 9th, we fell back within the newly fortified lines, put up our tents, and looked forward to a little rest. Up to this time, having been constantly in the; front at work, there had been no opportunity to visit the troops behind us, but on the next day, we rode over the camp with Dr. SEXTON, and for the first time could form some kind of an idea what an army was. Very much of the timber had been cleared away, from a space some three or four miles each way, which seemed completely packed with troops, wagon trains, parks of artillery, mules, horses and beef cattle; squad, company, regi­mental and division drills were to be witnessed in every part of the camp. General officers with numerous staff and orderlies, gorgeously dressed, with their horses gaily caparisoned, were dashing about in every direction ; bands of music playing, sutler's stores with immense stocks of goods, the river, for miles a complete forest of masts, contrasted strangely with the forlorn, worn and weary mass of troops, we had witnessed a few days before, as this same army emerged from the seven days. battle.
     We were in the midst of most interesting scenes of our early colonial history. Here was the HARRISON Mansion, in which lived once a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and in which President HARRISON was born; below us was the celebrated Westover Estate, once the home of the famous Col. BYRDS—three genera­tions—the mansion built of brick, brought from England as early as 1680. Here were the ruins of old Jamestown, and there the rock on which Capt JOHN SMITH's head lay, when he was saved by the beautiful Pocahontas, from the wrath of King Powhattan, her father.
     Our constant duties having prevented our muster for payment on the 1st of the month, the muster was had on the 10th, and muster rolls made out. On the 12th the regiment was inspected by Maj. DAVIS of MCCLELLAN's staff. On the 16th KIMBALL's brigade was made part of Gen. SUMMER's corps, soon after known as the Second corps, and with which we remained during the balance of our term of service, sharing in all the dangers, and contributing our full part to the glorious achievements of that gallant and most successful of all the Army Corps.
     Our camp was changed to a more central position, and regular drills, from this time, were had daily until the departure of the army from the Peninsula.
     On the 22d Summer's corps was reviewed by the General in Chief, MCCLELLAN, on the plain in rear of the Harrison mansion. Our brigade furnished the only ' raw troops" present who had never taken part in a 'MCCLELLAN' review, but the General had the grace to remember us as a part of his army of Western Virginia, and gratified us with terms of commendation.
     From this time until the 16th of August, when Harrison's Landing was evacuated, our duties were the usual routine of a military camp, guard duty, drills and inspection, with nothing to relieve the monotony during the whole time, except a reconnaissance on the 5th of August to near Malvern Hills, the object of which was to capture a body of rebel troops, which was said to have been frustrated by the misconduct of Gen. PATTERSON. Previous to this, on the night of the 30th of July, the whole army was attacked by a terrific cannonade from rebel batteries planted on the opposite bank of the James River, which, for a time, was decidedly portentous. But very little damage was done, however, and very soon after MCCLELLAN's batteries replied the enemy drew off.
     A few of their shot fell in or hear the contraband camp, which sent the frightened Africans dressed, half dressed and naked, through the camps in every direction, to the great merriment of the soldiers.
     About this time a Richmond paper was circulated about camp in which the characteristics of this location and its fitness for a "Yankee camp" were complacently -discussed. It was said that we would find no water except the drainage of the marl beds, and that there was no place known to geography, and but one to theology hotter than Harrison's Landing.
     We soon appreciated this comment. The water was execrable and the weather intensely hot. We were sur­rounded by swamps and marshes, and the exhalations from these, owing to the recent heavy rains, were most poisonous, and soon sickness appeared among the troops to a fearful extent. The Eighth, however, from some cause, suffered but little. Swarms of flies infested the camp, as the unearthly groans and brays of the mules and horses continually bore witness. Still there was less discontent than inaction usually inspires in the soldier. Fresh and very fine potatoes, onions and tomatoes, from the Bermudas, and other vegetables, with, the best quality of rations: ice for the hospitals, clothing and new arms, in many instances, were issued, and every care taken to put the army in good spirits and perfect condition.




CLICK HERE to Return to

CLICK HERE to Return to

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights