A Part of Genealogy Express


Welcome to

Monroe County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


History of Monroe County, Ohio
- Illustrated -
A Condensed History of the County;
Biographical Sketches: General Statistics; Miscellaneous Matters &c.
Publ. H. H. Hardesty & Co, Publishers
Chicago and Toledo

Page 215

     The settlements in this township were made at quite an early period in the history of the territory now within the limits of the county.  The time is fixed by the fact that Samuel McEldowney now deceased, was born on Buckhill bottom, in 1794, and was four years old when his father, Robert McEldowney, moved to Fishing creek bottom, in Wetzel county, West Virginia, then Ohio county, Virginia.  The next settlement was made on what is known as the Frail farm, below Baresville.  This was an improvement there with a log cabin upon it, into which Abner Martin moved about the year 1802.  Buckhill bottom is so called in the United States surveys, made in 1801.  A very large buck was killed near a mound on this bottom, at an early date, by Wm. Henthorn and a Mr. Twible  reported to have weighed 387 pounds - hence the name, as is believed, Buckhill.  Jacob Ollomis thought to have been the next settler, followed soon after by Bailey, Scott, Starritt, Smith, Knight, Bare, Nicholson, Hicks and others; but the order in time of settlement is not known.  The names of these settlers were obtained from Mrs. Anne Howell - herself one of the first settlers in the county - who died several years ago at the advanced age of 106 years.  The history of the first German settlements is given elsewhere herein, to which the reader is referred.
     No information is at command by or from which any extended history can be given of the churches in the township.  There are three or four Methodist Episcopal churches, two or more Lutheran, and one Mennonite, or Baptist Church.  The first German Sabbath school was organized by Father Jacob Tisher, in 1825, and in 1837 he organized the first English Sabbath school in Baresville.  He was the first missionary for the German work of the Methodist church, and traveled in this and the adjoining counties.  His circuit was nearly two hundred miles in extent, which he made, on foot, once every four weeks.  He was very successful in organizing societies, and laid the foundation of a work now embraced for many circuits and stations.  He died some years ago, at the advanced age of 86 years.
     It may be here added that Samuel McBride settled on the Baresville bottom in 1802; Jacob Bare, Henry Harter and James Starritt, from 1806, to 1808; after whom the following persons, in the order named:  James Johnston, Earl Sprot, Christian Staley, Humphrey Finch, James Hepburn, Jere. Wilson, and Jacob and Abram Fisher.
     After Jacob Ollom became a settler, about the year 1800, he engaged in the business of packing salt over the Allegheny mountains, on pack-horses.  He went to Williamsport, on the Potomac river, a distance of about 200 miles, taking with him skins and furs, and returning with salt - camping whereever night overtook him.  He thus continued supplying the settlers with salt, and some other articles, for several years, receiving for his salt from three to four dollars per bushel.
     Near where Abner Martin settled, now on the Albert Bridgman farm, was a large flat rock, near the base of the hill, upon which were impressions or prints of human feet - large and small - tracks of deer, bears, turkeys, birds, squirrels, raccoons, etc.  The tracks were very plain and distinctly shown in the rock.  Our informant supposes them to be the work of Indians.  Some years ago, a Mr. John Henthorn needing some building stone, used up the rock for that purpose.
     Opposite the Frail place, on the Virginia side of the river, several years ago, two sons of Samuel McEldowney found a brass crucifix, about six inches in length.  It was in a good state of preservation, and was found on the river bank where a mound had caved in.  How came it there?
     Ohio township was organized Oct. 18, 1818, and is composed of parts of original townships 1 and 2, of range 3, and parts of townships 2 and 3, of range r.  Sections 22, 23, and 24, in township 1, of range 3, and sections 8, 9, 14, 19 and 20, in township 2, of range 3, are tractional - lying on the Ohio river.  It is bounded on the north by Salem township on the east by the Ohio river.  It is bounded on the north by Salem township, on the east by the Ohio river, on the south by Lee township, and on the west by Lee and Greene.  Along the river border it has a large area of rich, alluvial valley land.  The hills back from the river are very high.  The north-western portion of the township is drained by Opossum creek, which flows in a general northeastern direction, and empties into the Ohio in Salem  township.  A large proportion of the population are Germans, who are excellent farmers, and the cultivation of the soil receives careful attention.   The production of cheese is an extensive business - larger than in any other township in the county.  For the year 1881, this product amounted to 177,924 pounds.
     The town of Baresville was laid out in 1846, by Jacob Bare, and lies on the Ohio river.  It is the only town in the township, and in it is located the only posoffice, called Hannibal.  The population of Baresville is reported for 1880, at 341, and the township, including the town, 1,905.  The present justices of the peace are A. G. W. Potts and T. G. Allen
     The school statistics for the township for the year ending Aug. 31, 1881, are as follows:   Total amount of school money received within the year, $5,080.04; amount paid teachers, $2,379.40; paid for sites and buildings, $520.00; paid for interest and in redemption of bonds, $343.61; fuel, etc., $218.19; balance on hand Sept. 1, 1881, $1,618.84; No. of sub-districts and subdivisions of separate districts, 9; No. of school houses, 9; No. of school rooms, 12; value of school property, $9,500;

[Pg. 216]
No. of teachers necessary, 12 - gentlemen 10, ladies, 2; average wages of teachers per month, gentlemen, $34.00, ladies, $32.00; total number of pupils enrolled, 452.


CLICK HERE to Return to

CLICK HERE to Return to

This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights