township was organized June 5, 1832; is eight miles long,
from north to south, and four wide, from east to west, and
contains thirty-two sections, less the north half of section
6, in township 4, which forms a part of Wayne township.
The eight sections at the south end of the township were
added to this county in 1851, when Noble county was
organized, and lie in original township 3, of range 6.
The 23½ sections are in
township 4, of range 6. It is bounded on the north by
Wayne township, on the east by Perry and Benton, on the
south by the Washington county line, and on the west by
Bethel and Franklin. Crane's Nest creek flows through
its northwestern corner; the straight fork from its
northwest corner, and runs in a general southeastern
direction and empties into Muskingum creek, near the
township line; the Clear fork enters the township near the
middle of its western boundary, and flows in a general
southeastern direction, and empties into the Little
Muskingum in the southwest quarter of section 6, in township
3, and the Whitten creek has its source in Bethel township,
flows into Washington in its southwestern part, and empties
into the Clear fork in section 13. Of its geology,
Prof. Andrews, says: "The Cumberland seam of coal is
found in this township, but so far as could be ascertained
is in limited development. Very little coal has been
mined in the township. The village of Graysville is
supplied from Indian fork, in Bethel township. Lime
stones are found in the hills, which tend to fertilize the
soil." The number of streams flowing through this
township renders the surface quite uneven, but on the top of
the ridges and land is comparatively smooth, and the soil
good. In the valleys the soil is very productive.
Among the first settlers of the township may be named
Joseph Cline, and other members of the Cline
Family, Philip, David and Joseph Allen, James Scott,
Abner Powell, Ezekiel Blair, James and Isaac Rinard,
Jacob Flint, the Knowltons, Daughertys, Bevers,
and others, whose names the writer cannot now call to mind.
The first settlements were made along the valley of Clear
fork, where Joseph Cline built the first cabin in
1816. There may have been some improvements made prior
to this, by squatters, but no actual settlements. The
first child born in the township was Joseph Cline to
The first grist-mill is reported to have been built
by Isaac Rinard, in 1818, and a saw-mill the same
year, on the Little Muskingum; Baldwin Cox, builder.
Philip Allen built the first saw-mill on the
Clear fork, (date unknown); Baldwin Cox, builder.
James Scott, built the first saw-mill on the
Clear fork, in 1825, and a school house is said to have been
built about 1820, but who was the first teacher, and where
it was located, has not been reported to the writer.
The first church organized was by members of the M. E.
Church, at the house of Joseph Cline, when and where
the first sermon was preached, in 1817, by Rev. Robert C.
Hatten. Among its first members were Joseph and
Sarah Cline, Isaac and Nancy Brown, Thomas W. Groves and
wife, and a Mrs. Dailey. The second church
organized was the Baptist church, at Graysville.
The present churches in the township are the following:
Low Gap Christian Union Church, plain, frame building, in
size 28x38 feet; Thomas Cline, minister; membership,
35. Methodist Protestant Church, frame building, size
26x36 feet; membership, 52; pastor, Rev. Donnelson.
Graysville Christian Church, frame, size 25x35 feet;
membership, 65; A. A. Bunner, minister.
Graysville Baptist Church, frame, size 25x35 feet;
membership, 20; Henry Lyons, minister. The
first Sabbath school was organized in 1841, by
Peter McGowen, with twenty-five scholars. The
Sabbath schools now in the township are the following:
Low Gap Sabbath school, Isaac Cline, superintendent;
Methodist Protestant Sabbath school, in the southwestern
part of the township, Ezra Massie, superintendent;
Graysville Christian Sabbath school, John McCarty,
superintendent; Graysville Baptist Sabbath school, Thomas
Graysville, the only town in the township, was laid out
by Daniel Gray, in 1835, and the postoffice there is
of the same name. It is located in the northern part
of the township, in the southwest corner of section 11, and
the southeast corner of section 17, in township 4. It
is a point of considerable trade, and has four dry goods and
grocery stores, two drug stores, two blacksmith shops, one
furniture store, two shoe shops, one saddle and harness
shop, and two physicians. The
postoffice in the township.
The present justices of the peace are: W. J.
Crawford and J. Beardmore.
The population of Graysville, which is an
incorporated village, by the census of 1880, was 174, and
the population of the township, including the town, 1,815.
The school statistics for the township, for the year
ending Aug. 31, 1881, were as follows: Total school
moneys received within the year, $4,669.07; paid teachers,
$1,819.00; paid for sites and buildings, $949.00; paid for
interest on redemption of bonds, $28.49; paid for fuel,
etc., $368.47; balance on hand Sept. 1, 1881, $1,504.11; No.
of school houses, 11; value of school property, $3,000; No.
of teachers, 11; average wages paid to teachers, per month,
gentlemen $27.00, ladies $23.00; No. of pupils enrolled,
School statistics for Graysville, for the same period:
School moneys received, $609.41; paid teachers, primary,
$200.65, high, $177.16; for fuel, etc., $38.67; balance on
hand Sept. 1, 1881, $192.93; No. of school houses, 1; No. of
rooms, 2; value of school property, not reported; No. of
teachers, 2; average wages of teachers, per month, primary,
$27.00; high, $35.00; No. of scholars enrolled, 99.