OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

CENTENNIAL
Portrait and Biographical Record
of the
CITY OF DAYTON
and of
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
containing
Biographical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens,
together with
The Biographies and Portraits of the Presidents
of the United States and Biographies
of the Governors of Ohio.
Edited by Frank Conover, of Dayton, Ohio.
Published by
A. W. Bowen & Co.
1897
 
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1897 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHIUCAL INDEXES >
 

  HENRY APPLE, of Germantown, Ohio, one of the substantial farmers of Jefferson township, Montgomery county, and a most prosperous and respected citizen, sprang from Pennsylvania Dutch stock.
     His grandfather, who was also named Henry Apple, was born in Berks county, Pa., and was a son of John Apple.  This grandfather, Henry, married Sarah E. Gebhart, of Berks county, and they became the parents of thirteen children, all of whom reached mature years, married and reared families of their own.  These thirteen children were as follows:  John, Henry, George, Catherine, Elizabeth, Magdalene, Margaret, Eli, Enoch, Eve, Barbara, Daniel and Tennie.  Henry Apple removed to Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1805, entering land in Jefferson township, eighty acres, which he cleared up and lived upon about seven years.  In 1813 he removed to Jackson township and there bought 160 acres, which he made his permanent home, clearing up this latter farm from the woods.  He became prosperous because of his steady, industrious habits, bought more land, and gave eighty acres to each of his children.  He was a Lutheran in religion, and was one of the founders of the Slyfer church, in connection with Philip Slyfer.  This church was founded in 1819 and is still in existence.  Politically, Mr. Apple was a democrat and was one of the foremost citizens of Jackson township.  He was one of the sturdy pioneers, and an honorable man.  His father, John, came later to this country, and here passed the remainder of his days.
     Henry Apple, son of the above and father of the subject, was born in 1802, in Berks county, Pa., where two of his brothers, John and George, were also born, the remainder of the family being born in Montgomery county, Ohio.  Henry was but three years old when brought to Ohio by his parents, and grew up a pioneer among the pioneers.  Trained to a farmers life he naturally adopted that vocation.  He married Elizabeth Rodehefer, who was born in 1807, and was a daughter of Samuel and Catherine (Ruby) Rodehefer, both of whom were of German descent and pioneers of Montgomery county.  Henry Apple and his wife settled in the woods in Jackson township, prospered by hard work and economical management, and in 1838 bought 160 acres of land in that township.  Mr. Apple also entered 160 acres in Darke county.  He was a member of the Lutheran church, in which he was a deacon and an elder, as was his father before him.  His children were as follows: William, Julia, George, Solon, Catherine, Barbara, Henry and Elizabeth.  The above children were by his first wife, after whose death he married Sarah Stroup, by whom he had the following children: John; Samuel; Louisa, who died at the age of seventeen; Mary, who died at the age of twenty years; Lydia, Hiram, David, and Sarah Eve.  Thus he was the father of sixteen children, fourteen of whom were living at the time of his death.  Politically, he was a democrat, and as a citizen he was held in high regard.
     Henry Apple, the subject of this sketch, was born in Jackson township, Aug. 6, 1835, received a common-school education and was reared a farmer.  On Mar. 13, 1856, he married Catherine Meckley, daughter of Christian and Nancy (Kuner) Meckley, of whom fuller mention is made elsewhere in this volume.  After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Apple settled on 144 acres of land in Jefferson township, upon which they lived thirty-five years.  This land Mr. Apple cleared up from the woods and made of it a good farm and home, putting up good buildings and improving the farm in every way.  By careful management and hardy thrift he added to his possessions, owning at one time 320 acres of land.  In 1892 he built a pleasant residence on the township line, and now lives on a small property, his children having been given the greater part of his land.  He is a member of the Slyfer Presbyterian church, of which he has been for many years a trustee.  His wife is a member of the Reformed church.  Mr. Apple was a member of the building committee of the new Slyfer church edifice, built for the Union church.  Politically, he is a democrat, but is not an office seeker.  His children are as follows: Lucinda; Benjamin F.; Oliver,
who died at the age of three years; and PerryMr. Apple is a most worthy citizen, and enjoys the confidence of a large circle of valued friends and acquaintances.
Source:  Centennial Portrait and Biographical Record of the City of Dayton and of Montgomery County, Ohio, publ. 1897 - Page 1109
   

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights