OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The History of the City of Dayton
and
The Montgomery County, Ohio.

by Rev. A. W. Drury
1909

  ORION E. BAKER, the popular and efficient cashier of the Citizens Bank of Brookville, in which capacity he has served since 1900, was born on a farm near Brookville, Montgomery county, in 1870.  His parents were John and Sarah (Limbert) Baker, the former an agriculturist by occupation.  In pursuit of an education Orion E. Baker attended the Brookville high school and subsequently further prepared for a business career by a course of study in the Miami Commercial College.  He then accepted a position as bookkeeper in a railroad auditor's office and was afterward employed in the treasury department of the National Cash Register Company for two years.  In 1900 he came to Brookville as the cashier of the Citizens Bank, which position he has held continuously since, proving a most capable, trustworthy and reliable official.
     In 1892 Mr. Baker wedded Miss Flora Overholser, of Brookville, a daughter of Jacob B. and Eliza Overholser, her father being a blacksmith and wagon and manufacturer by trade.  By this union there are three children: Lucile, Reba and John.
     Mr. Baker
gives his political allegiance to the republican party and his fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to various positions of public trust.  He served as township clerk for two terms, was township treasurer for one term and for four terms or eight years acted as village clerk.  He is now serving as president of the village board of public affairs and is widely recognized as a most influential, progressive and public-spirited citizen of the community.  Fraternally he is identified with the Masons, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the United American Mechanics and has been secretary of the local lodge of the two last named orders.  His family are affiliated with the United Brethren church and are well known and highly esteemed throughout the locality in which they reside
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 33
  C. H. BREIDENBACH, M. D.  Dr. C. H. Breidenbach, engaged in the general practice of medicine and since 1899 acting as surgeon for the Dayton fire department, has given undivided attention to his profession for more than a decade.  He was born in the city which is still his home in 1867, and, as the name indicate, comes from German lineage.  His father, Daniel G. Breidenbach, whose birth occurred in Germany, July 6, 1826, was a young man of twenty years when he determined to make his home in the new world, reaching Philadelphia on the 13th of May, 1846.  Two months later he came to Dayton, where he entered business life as a shoemaker and as he prospered in the course of years he opened a retail shoe store and for a long period was a prominent representative of mercantile interests here.  There came an interruption in his commercial career, however, when in response to a call for troops he served for one hundred days, joining the One Hundred and Thirty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and during the period of his enlistment was stationed a Baltimore.  He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic and also a charter member of the German Pioneer Society.  His political allegiance was given to the democracy and from 1875 until 1881 he served as a member of the board of education, while in 1883 he became assessor of his ward and occupied that position for fourteen years.  HE died Oct. 22, 1903, and his wife passed away Oct. 22, 1892.  Both were members of the German Evangelical church.  Mrs. Breidenbach bore the maiden name of Anna Trieschman and was also a native of Germany.  Their wedding was celebrated in 1848 and was blessed with eleven children: Elias, second vice president of American Federation of Painters and Paper Hangers;  Conrad, an organ builder of Piqua, Ohio; Catherine, the wife of J. W. Fouts, of West Alexandria, Ohio; Mary, who became the wife of Lawrence  died in March, 1894; J. W., a printer of Dayton; Emma, who became the wife of P. M. Weaver, of Dayton, and died in Dayton, Sept. 13, 1907; C. H.; Anna, the wife of Samuel Monneman of Dayton; and three who died in infancy.
     Of this family, Dr. C. H. Breidenbach is the youngest son and has made for himself an enviable position as a medical practitioner in his native city.  He pursued his education in the public schools here and entered business as an employe in the drug store of Dr. J. C. Reeve, Jr.  Later he took up the systematic study of pharmacy and was graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy in 1888.  He then became a student in the Miami Medical College of Cincinnati from which he was graduated in April, 1898.  Immediately afterward he located for practice to Dayton, where he has since followed his chosen calling.  He was done excellent work as a general practitioner and since 1899 he has acted as surgeon for the Dayton fire department.  He is also serving no the staff of the Miami Valley Hospital and is recognized as an able physician of wide general knowledge in all the branches of his profession.  He was formerly well known as a prosperous druggist of the city, having in 1890 established a store at the corner of Fifth street and Jefferson.  He attained particular skill as a chemist and his ability in that direction as well as his knowledge of the various properties of drugs have constituted splendid equipment for his medical practice.  He is now serving as first vice president of the Market Savings Bank of Dayton.
     On the 3d of April, 1893, Dr. Breidenbach was married to Miss Anna Danner, a popular teacher, who for seven years had been connected with the fifth district school.  They have two daughters, Isabel and Anna Marie.  Dr. and Mrs. Breidenbach hold membership in St. John's Lutheran church and he belongs to the Masonic fraternity, in which he has taken the degrees of the Scottish Rite and the Mystic Shrine.  He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Knight of Pythias and the Patriotic Order of Sons of America.  His political allegiance is unfaltering given to the republican party, which finds in him a stalwart advocate.  In professional lines he is connected with the Montgomery County Medical Society, the Ohio State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.  An interest in scientific research and broad humanitarianism, as well as a commendable desire to achieve financial success, are features in the professional work of Dr. Breidenbach and are bringing him to the prominent position in professional circles.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 502
  EDGAR H. BRANDENBURG is one of the leading citizens of Trotwood, and as a manufacturer of closed spring wagons is recognized as a factor in the industrial development and upbuilding of the community.  A native of Ohio, his birth occurred July 1, 1853, in Vandalia, his parents being David and Rhoda (Hutchins) Brandenburg.  The family are old settlers of Ohio, the grandparents, Jacob and Saloma Brandenburg, having removed to this state from Frederick county, Maryland, while the land was still in an uncultivated condition.  Upon his arrival here Jacob Brandenburg purchased the property upon which the State Hospital now stands, which then consisted of one hundred and sixty acres.  Here, after clearing the land, he built a cabin on the top of the hill for himself and family.  David Brandenburg, his son and the father of our subject, was born in Butler township, Montgomery county, on a farm.  He was a carriage manufacturer, having learned the trade under the direction of a distant relative in Sulphur Grove, carried on his business for about fifty years in Vandalia, Ohio.
     Edgar H. Brandenburg received a good education in the common schools of Vandalia and assisted in his father's shop, where he acquired a thorough knowledge of the business.  He continued in his father's employ until the year 1890, when he removed to Trotwood, Madison township, where he established himself in the closed market wagon manufacturing business in connection with blacksmithing and general repair work.  He has fully realized the value of unremitting energy and perseverance, and these have proven salient qualities in his success, for he stands today as one of the most prominent and influential citizens of Trotwood, while his business enterprise ranks among the leading industries of the city.
     Mr. Brandenburg was married Oct. 29, 1880, to Caroline Jordon, a daughter of N. W. and Esther (Scott) Jordon, the former a very prominent farmer of Warren County, Ohio.  Unto them were born three children, all of whom are now deceased:  Foster and Hattie who died in infancy; and BlanchMr. and Mrs. Brandenburg reside in a large two story house adjacent to the factory.
     Mr. Brandenburg is a member of the United Brethren church, of which he was also a prominent member while living in Vandalia.  He has not allied himself with any fraternal orders, preferring to devote his time and attention entirely to his business affairs, which, properly conducted, are proving a source of financial profit to him.  He does not, however, permit his business affairs to exclude him from participation in those matters which are of vital importance to the true citizen, for he is deeply interested in all measures that tend toward the growth and development of the city.  In all of his business dealings his honesty and integrity is unquestioned, and he commands the respect and confidence of all who know him, while by reason of his sterling worth and blameless life he has gathered around him a large circle of warm friends.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 356
  JOHN R. BROWNELL

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 12

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights