OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The History of the City of Dayton
and
The Montgomery County, Ohio.

by Rev. A. W. Drury
1909

  Dr. JOHN L. CARTER, a young physician of West Carrollton, was born in the town of Sabina, Clinton county, Ohio, in the year 1872.  He is the son of Joseph and Margaret (Hall) Carter, who were numbered among the prominent farmers of that county.  His grandfather, John Carter, established the family in this part of the country.  He was the son of Irish parents, who when they came to America took up their abode in North Carolina.  From there John Carter came as a young man to Ohio, and took up a considerable tract of land in Clinton county, which has since been known as the Carter homestead.  He married Miss Anna Millikin, who was the mother of Joseph Carter.  Like his father the latter was a farmer and an owner of land.  He lived upon the home place, on which he had been born, until he put aside the active cares of life, and retired to Sabina, Ohio, where he died on the 27th of November, 1904, and lies buried.  Two children were granted to him and his devoted wife:  Harvey H. and John L., both of whom survive.  He was a man of prominence in the concerns of the locality in which he lived and for many years he was a pike contractor.
     John L. Carter received his early education in the common schools of Clinton county.  He soon decided upon medicine as the profession to which he would devote himself and pursued his school work with that end in view.  He prepared first for the medical school in Sabina, and from there went to the Ohio Medical College, entering in 1892.  Three years later he received his physician's degree and started upon the practice of his profession.  For two years he practiced at Selma, Ohio, and then came to West Carrolton, which has been his home and the scene of his labors ever since.  He was physician for the Friend Paper Company ten years, and also surgeon for the Cincinnati Northern Traction Company.
     In 1895 Dr. Carter was united in the holy bonds of matrimony to Miss Jessie Watt, the daughter of John and Refayma Watt, of Welleston, Ohio, where the father was furnace superintendent for one of the companies that the town supports.  But one child has been born to Dr. and Mrs. Carter, a daughter, Winnifred, who is of school age.
     As a member of the Ohio State Medical Association and the national society, besides the association formed by the physicians of the county, Dr. Carter keeps abreast of the times in his profession and assists in promoting its interests.  His professional duties require the greater share of his time, yet he is not infrequently present at the meeting of the several lodges, to which he gives his fraternal support and in whose interests he is a zealous worker.  The West Carrollton Lodge, No. 826, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows numbers him among its members, and he is a Scottish Rite Mason.  In the twelve years that Dr. Carter has ministered to the physical needs of the people of West Carrollton he has built up a practice of considerable size, and a reputation which is the result of his devotion to his profession and the welfare of his patients.  As a physician his opinion is held in regard, and as a man and friend he is respected and admired.
Source: The History of the City of Dayton and The Montgomery County, Ohio. by Rev. A. W. Drury 1909 - Vol. II - Page  765
  DR. N. W. COWDENDr. N. W. Cowden, one of the younger of Germantown's successful physicians, was born in Quaker City, Ohio, on the 11th of March, 1872, and is a son of William and Deborah (Laughlin) Cowden.  The father was also born on the old family homestead in Quaker city and became a prominent farmer and land owner of that part of the state.  His parents were David and Margaret Cowden and the former was a son of William and Margaret (Newman) Cowden, who came from County Antrim, Ireland, to the new world and were among the early settlers of Pennsylvania.  Subsequently they continued on their westward way to Ohio and, going to Guernsey county, David Cowden, the progenitor of the family in the United States, there lived a retired life.  William Cowden, the father of our subject, was a worthy representative of a pioneer family that was prominently and honorably connected with the early development of the Buckeye state.  He made farming his life work and attained success and prominence in that field of labor.  As he prospered in his undertakings he made further investment in land until he became the owner of a section of the best land in the county.  He was very widely known and was an influential and public-spirited citizen, whose aid and cooperation could always be counted upon to support and promote any measure for the public good.  He was recognized as one of the political leaders in political circles in the county and three times was a candidate for the state legislature.  He was also a member of the state tax commission, being appointed by Major William McKinley.  That he occupied a prominent position among the raiser of sheep is indicated in the fact that he was chosen secretary of the Ohio Wool Growers' Association.  Neither did he neglect the higher, holier duties of life for he was active in the work of that United Presbyterian church, giving loyal support to its interests and closely following its teachings.  For a long period he was one of the elders of the church and was also very prominent in the work of the Sunday school.  In his family were seven children: David L., a physician; William K., who is a practicing attorney; Deborah, at home; and Harris S., who is practicing dentistry.
     Dr. Cowden, whose name initiates his review, was a pupil in the public schools of Quaker City, Ohio, to the time of his graduation in the class of 1891.  He then taught school for a year but regarded this merely as an initial step to other professional labor, desiring to become a member of the medical profession.  To this end he entered the Starling Medical College, at Columbus, Ohio, from which he was graduated with the class of 1897.  He afterward pursued a post-graduate course in 1899 and again in 1904 further supplementing his knowledge by post-graduate work, for he holds to high ideals in his profession and puts forth every effort in his power to attain proficiency in his chosen field that will make his work of permanent value to his patrons.  In the fall of 1904 he came to Germantown, where he has since enjoyed a large and steadily increasing practice.
     His church membership is still with the United Presbyterian church of Quaker City.  He belongs to the Masonic lodge, the Knights of Pythias, the Junior Order of United American Mechanics, the Modern Woodmen and the National Protective Legion, all of Germantown.  He is a gentleman of unfailing courtesy and genial manner, whose circle of friends is an extensive one.
Source: The History of the City of Dayton and The Montgomery County, Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury 1909 - Vol. II - Page 19

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights