The History of the City of Dayton
The Montgomery County, Ohio.
by Rev. A. W. Drury
WILLIAM A. EWING is deserving of mention with the
medical fraternity of Dayton as in his practice he holds to
a high standard of professional ethics and is meeting with
excellent success as he makes his daily round of calls,
performing every service with a sense of conscientious
obligation. Born on a farm in Montgomery county, Ohio,
in 1876, he is descended from a family of Scotch origin that
was founded in Maryland in the seventeenth century.
The branch to which Dr. Ewing belongs was later
represented in Kentucky and afterward in Montgomery county,
Ohio, its representatives taking an active and helpful part
in the pioneer development of the different states.
His great grandfather arrived in Montgomery county in 1797,
removing from Kentucky to this state when it was still under
territorial rule. From that time to the present the
family has been active in promoting the work of public
improvement in this county, contributing in substantial
measure to its general growth and progress. The
grandfather, John Ewing, was born in this county in
1802, devoted his life to general agriculture pursuits and
reached the venerable age of eighty years ere he was called
to his final rest in 1882.
His son, William G. Ewing, the father of Dr.
Ewing, was born on the old family homestead in
Montgomery county in 1826. He was here reared amid the
wild scenes and environments of pioneer life, sharing in all
of the hardships and difficulties that fall to the lot of
the early settler. As the years passed by he gave
substantial assistance in the work of promoting the material
development of this section. Following the discovery
of gold in California he made his way to the Pacific coast,
traveling across the long stretches of hot sand and through
the mountain passes to the Golden state, where he remained
for five years. He then returned to Montgomery county
and at the time of the Civil war responded to the call for
troops to serve for one hundred days. When the war was
over he once more took up his abode in this county,
continuing his residence in Ohio until his death in 1891.
Dr. Ewing was a little lad of six years when he
accompanied his parents on their removal to Darke county,
Ohio, where his youthful days were passed on the home farm,
the work of field and meadow early becoming familiar to him.
He completed his more specifically literary education in the
high school at Greenville, Ohio, and in the State University
at Columbus, where he continued his studies for a year.
His professional training was received in the Jefferson
Medical College of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, from which he
was graduated in 1900, and he put his theoretical training
to the practical test in the Miami Valley Hospital, at
Dayton, where he served as interne for a year, gaining the
broad and valuable experience of hospital practice, which
proved an excellent preparation for the professional labors
that have since devolved upon him as he has continued in
private practice in Dayton. At present he is a member
of the staff of Miami Valley Hospital. His labors have
been attended with gratifying success when viewed from both
professional and financial standpoints and his patronage is
In 1902 Dr. Ewing was united in marriage to
Miss Emeline Davenport, of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania,
and they have an interesting little daughter, Mary.
Dr. and Mrs. Ewing are widely and favorably known in the
social circles of the city. He is a member of the
Masons and Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and gives
his political allegiance to the republican party but it is
not an active worker in its ranks aside from casting his
ballot in support of its principles. He concentrates
his attention upon his professional duties and keeps abreast
with the most progressive methods of the medical fraternity
through his connection with the American Medical Society and
the Dayton Academy of Medicine. Of the last named he
was president in 1907. In the years which have
followed since he left college he has continued a student of
the fundamental principles of medicine and while he is not
quick to discard the old and time-tried methods of practice
at the same time he is quick to adopt any new idea which his
judgment sanctions as of essential value in professional
Source: The History of the City of
Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ.
1909 - Vol. II - Page 375
EDWARD E. EUCHENHOFER,
proprietor of the Dayton Machine Works, has been engaged in
business on his own account in this city since 1888.
Watchfulness over all details, with a recognition of the
relative value of each point in his business interests, have
enabled him to make steady advance until in his present
connection he is known as a prominent representative of
industrial circles here and an inventor of considerable
note, having produced many valuable inventions. Dayton
has reason to be proud of the business record of many who
are native sons, and this number includes Edward E.
Euchenhofer, who was born on the 3d of October, 1852.
His father, Frederick Gottlieb Euchenhofer, was
born in Germany in 1811 and was quite young when his parents
died. He was a young man of twenty-one years when, in
1832, he came to the new world. He had heard and
heeded the call of the western continent, believing that he
might find in its business conditions the opportunity which
he sought for progress in financial lines. He was a
baker and confectioner by trade and located first in
Philadelphia, continuing in business there for several
years, after which he went to Pittsburg and eventually moved
to Miamisburg, Montgomery county, Ohio, in 1838, where he
continued in the bakery business until coming to Dayton.
In 1848 he arrived in this city and for many years was
proprietor of the old Columbus House, one of the oldest
hotels in the city, where the utmost cordiality was shown to
citizens and strangers, and he continued in this business
until 1864. He also owned and conducted the old Third
Street Brewery, becoming its owner in 1858 and continuing in
the business until 1867, when he sold the plant and about
two years later purchased the old Tate flour
mill in Dayton View and conducted it for several years,
selling it in 1873. Then, on account of his
successor's financial situation, he took back the brewery,
which he managed until October, 1890, when he closed it and
retired from active business. As the years went by he
met with prosperity by reason of his careful control of his
interests, so that in his later years he was enabled to
enjoy the fruits of former toil. He was married twice
and his first wife, whom he wedded in Philadelphia, died,
leaving one son, Albert, who was born in Miamisburg
in 1844 and died in Dayton, Feb. 2, 1892, leaving a widow
and four children, two sons and two daughters. After
losing his first wife Mr. Euchenhofer was married in
Dayton in 1849 to Catharine Discher. His death
occurred Feb. 3, 1891, when he had reached the age of eighty
years, only four months after retiring from business, and
thus Dayton lost one of her most respected German-American
citizens. His second marriage was blessed with ten
children, of whom five are living, namely: E. E.
Euchenhofer, of this review; Otto W., of Dayton;
Julia L., the wife of Russell H. Bates; Kate
the wife of L. Bauers, of Pekin, Illinois; and
Alexander, of Dayton. Mr. Euchenhofer was
also a charter member of the Teutonia Fire Insurance
Company, one of the oldest and most substantial companies in
this section of the country, and held a directorship therein
until his death.
When he reached the age of six years Edward E.
Euchenhofer was sent as a pupil to the public schools,
where he continued his studies to the age of fourteen, and
then secured a clerkship in Mueller & Son's dry-goods
store on East Third street, thus making his initial step in
the business world. That he was a faithful and capable
employe is indicated in the fact that he remained with that
establishment for three years. Desirous, however, of
learning the machinist's business, he resigned from that
position, with the good wishes of his employers, who
presented him with his first set of machinist's tools.
He entered the machinist's trade, working there for ten
years, during which time his ability continuously increased
so that he became recognized as a most expert workman in
that line. In 1882 he was made chief engineer of the
city waterworks, where he continued until the spring of
1887. In the fall of the same year he embarked in
business on his own account in connection with a partner and
later began the manufacture of gas engines, incorporating
the business as the Dayton Gas & Gasoline Engine Company.
In this business he continued for eighteen months, when he
withdrew from that line to enter the regular machine
business, which he carried on with a partner for three
years. The association was then terminated and Mr.
Euchenhofer, in the following year, engaged in business
on his own account, being now sole proprietor of the Dayton
Machine Works. He is conducting a profitable industry,
his long practical experience in his youthful days having
given him a wide knowledge that enables him to carefully
manage the business and control the efforts of his employes.
He understands the business in all of its details and
capably superintends the manufacture of all kinds of special
machinery, which has gained a wide reputation, being sent to
all parts of the United States.
In September, 1877, Mr. Euchenhofer was married
to Miss Dora Makley, a daughter of Frank Makley,
of New Carlisle, Ohio, and unto them have been born five
children: Adolph F., Carl L., Walter I., Clara M.
and Edna V. The parents are members of the
German Lutheran church and Mr. Euchenhofer exercises
his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of
the republican party. He has not sought prominence in
political lines nor has he taken any very active part in
public affairs, but he is, nevertheless, loyal at all times
to his party and does all in his power to extend its
influence in the community. He has won his success
through close application to business combined with thorough
and expert skill in the field of labor which he has chosen
as his life work.
Source: The History of the City of Dayton and The
Montgomery County, Ohio. by Rev. A. W. Drury 1909 - Vol. II
- Page 432