OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The History of the City of Dayton
and
The Montgomery County, Ohio.

by Rev. A. W. Drury
1909

  JOHN A. McMAHON

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 24


Dr. George W. Miller

 

GEORGE W. MILLER, M. D.  Dr. George W. Miller, practicing medicine with ability that has brought him prominently into public notice, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, Mar. 18, 1870, his parents being Charles H. and Hannah C. (Combs) Miller reprehensive of old families of Cincinnati.  The former was a son of George C. Miller, who established his home in Cincinnati when it contains only about three thousand population.  He had previously been a resident of New Jersey and came of Revolutionary stock.  He established from first carriage factory west of the Allegheny mountains and his output included the first iron-tired buggy manufactured in this section of the country, the tires being forged by hand from scraps of iron.  On his retirement from business at an advanced age he was succeeded by his two sons.  His labors, however, were an indispensable factor in the early growth and progress of the city.  He not only contributed to its industrial development but was also one of the founders of the Commercial Bank of Cincinnati and as advancement there.  His son, Charles H. Miller, father of Dr. Miller was for some time engaged in the manufacture of plows and carriages in Cincinnati, so that the family was long associated with industrial life.  He was the father of five children.
     Pursuing his education in the public schools, Dr. Miller eventually became a high school student and thus completed his literary course.  Later he pursued a commercial course and in 1887 entered Pulte Medical College, from which he was graduated with the class of 1891.  Dr. Miller began practice n Cincinnati and a year later was called to the chair of anatomy in Pulte Medical College, being thus identified with educational interests for two years.  He has practiced continuously in Dayton since 1893, in which year he became a partner of Dr. Joseph E. Lowes.  His practice has constantly increased, for he has given proof of his ability to cope with intricate problems of the profession.  HE is now a member of the Miami Valley Homeopathic Medical Society, the Montgomery County Homeopathic Medical Society and the Ohio State Homeopathic Medical Society.
     In November, 1897, Mr. Miller was joined in wedlock, in Boston, Massachusetts, to Miss Jennie D. Tuttle, a daughter of Lucius Tuttle, president of the Boston & Maine and the Maine Central Railroads.  They have two children, Mary and Ruth.  In his political views Dr. Miller is a republican but not an active worker in the party ranks.  He belongs to he Dayton Bicycle Club and is a member of the First Presbyterian church, in the work of which he is helpfully interested.  He is also a representative of the Masonic Lodge, the Knights of Pythias and of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and is a most genial gentleman, whose good will is manifest in deference for the opinions of others, kindliness and unfailing courtesy.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 528

  GEORGE W. MILLER, a most enterprising and prosperous agriculturist of Jackson township, is numbered among the worthy native sons of Montgomery county, has birth having occurred in Madison township on the 29th of February, 1864.  His parents, the Rev. George and Catherine (Wampler) Miller, celebrated their marriage in 1853, the ceremony taking place in the vicinity of Dayton, Ohio.  The paternal grandparents were Benjamin and Elizabeth (Bowser) Miller while the mother of our subject was a daughter of Philip and Catherine (Royer) WamplerGeorge W. Miller, of this review, is one of a family of ten children, the others being as follows:  Benjamin, Philip, Anna, William, Edward, Jesse, Ira, Ezra and Lizzie.
    
On the 15th of February, 1891, George W. Miller was married to Miss Carrie Calhoun, a daughter of Thomas and Mary Elizabeth (Kuns) Calhoun, of Madison township.  By this union there are three children, namely: Edith, born in 1893; Hugh, whose birth occurred in 1894; and Russell, who was born in 1898.
     Throughout his entire business career Mr. Miller has been identified with the pursuit of general farming and by reason of his untiring industry and unremitting energy has gained a measure of success that entitles him to recognition among the most substantial, progressive and representative citizens of the community.  He has an extensive circle of warm friends in the county where he has always resided, for the principles that have actuated his life have been such as to win for him the highest esteem and god will of his fellow townsmen.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 765
  LUCIUS O. MILLER of Dayton, general church treasurer of the United Brethren church of the United States, is a native son of Ohio, his birth having occurred in St. Johns, Auglaize county, Apr. 19, 1856.  His grandfather, Daniel Miller, was a native of Maryland and in his boyhood days went with his parents to Fairfield county, Ohio, the family being there established during the pioneer epoch in the history of this state.  Daniel Miller followed the occupation of farming as a life work.  His son, the Rev. Daniel R. Miller, was born on the old home farm in Fairfield county, June 13, 1835, and in 1860 became actively identified with the ministry of the United Brethren church.  He has since devoted his time and energies to the work of upbuilding the denomination in all of its varied activities for the promotion of the cause of Christianity, and his influence has been of no restricted order.  He is now a resident of Bloomdale, Ohio.
     As the father's ministerial labors called him to various points, Lucius O. Miller was reared in different towns where he attended the public schools until 1873, when he entered Otterbein University at Westerville, Ohio, remaining for three years a student in that institution.  He afterward entered the Farmers Bank at Marion, Ohio, in the capacity of bookkeeper, occupying that position for three years, when he became bookkeeper in a wholesale men's furnishing goods house at West Liberty, Ohio.  He was for two years employed there and on the 15th of August, 1881, came to Dayton where he entered the United Brethren publishing house as shipping and bill clerk.  His enterprise, diligence and capability won him promotion to the position of cashier on the 1st of January, 1882, and served in that capacity until the 1st of July, 1905, when he assumed the duties of the general church treasurer to which he had been elected by the general conference of the United Brethren church for a term of four years.  He is a man of good business ability, manifesting keen insight as well as capable control and moreover his industry is unflagging and his resolution unfaltering.  In this capacity he has charge of the finances of the home missions, foreign missions, general Sunday-school, general conference expense, the Union Biblical Seminary, ministerial education and church erection.
     On the 6th of September, 1877, Mr. Miller was married in Westerville, Ohio to Miss Lida J. Haywood, a daughter of John and Sylvia (Carpenter) Haywood, the former professor of mathematics in Otterbein University.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Miller have been born six children: John Daniel Miller; Sylvia Grace, the wife of Richard Campion; Winton Leroy; Lucius Haywood; Edna Elaine; and Marjory Mae.
    
In his political views Mr. Miller is a republican interested in the growth and success of his party because of his belief in its principles, yet without aspiration for political preferment.  He has served as a member of the board of education and at all times is interested in intellectual progress.  He is a member of the Present Day Club of Dayton and of the United Brethren church, manifesting active support of all the different branches of church work.  Alert and energetic with a thorough preliminary business training, he is well qualified for the complex and onerous duties which devolve upon him in his present connection.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 258
  SAMUEL MILLER, successfully carrying on agricultural pursuits in Madison township, is the owner of a fine farm of one hundred and thirty-six acres situated about one mile south of the Wolf Creek pike and three and a half miles southwest of Trotwood.  It was on this place that his birth occurred on the 7th of July, 1853, his parents being David and Anna (Shock) Miller.  The paternal grandparents were David and Hannah (Pfoutz) Miller, the former the first representative of the Miller family to come to this county, the date of his arrival being 1808.  In 1812, he took up the tract of land which is now the property of our subject and there carried on general farming until the time of his demise, being buried by the side of his wife on the farm of John Garber in Perry township, Montgomery county.  His wife lived to be ninety-one years of age and was one of the oldest settlers in this part of the county.
     David Miller, the father of our subject, was but a small child when he accompanied his parents on their removal from Augusta county, Virginia, to this part of the state, which at that early day was still covered with timber.  He was connected with agricultural interests throughout his active business career and was well known throughout the community as one of its most highly esteemed and enterprising citizens.  He was twice married and by his first wife, Miss Lida Souders, had two children:  Ephraim; and Mary, deceased.  By his second wife, who bore her maiden name of Anna Shock, he had nine children, namely: John, Susanna, Hannah and David, all of whom have passed away; Amos; Rachel; Samuel, of this review; Aaron; and Catharine.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 975
  SAMUEL HARRISON MILLER, who as secretary of the Harshman Improvement Company, has charge of the firm's land in Montgomery county and also the supervision of the Miller estate - a large tract located in Greene, Clark and Champaign counties, Ohio - was born Oct. 22, 1843, in Lebanon, Ohio, the son of Abraham and Susannah (Downey) Miller.  The father's parents were of German descent and came to Ohio from Virginia.  In the latter state Abraham Miller was born received his education, and was married, though he was still a young man he came to Ohio.  He was a mechanic by trade and settled near Lebanon.
     Samuel Harrison Miller was the seventh in a family of twelve children, his brothers being Hamilton, Jacob, William, George, John and Lewis.  He began his education in the school of Lebanon but after the death of his parents were to Cincinnati, where he finished his schooling.  For his first business experience he went to Pendleton, Ohio, where he engaged in railroading up to the outbreak of the Civil war, when he responded to the call for men to uphold the Union and enlisted in the Twelfth Ohio Infantry.  He served in the one hundred days' service with the Army of the Potomac and through the latter part of the war, and it was always with honor and credit to himself, his company and his nation.  Before the close of the war he went south, where he engaged in the United States military railroad business.  Returning some time later to Ohio, he took a course in Nelson College, after which he again engaged in railroading, his run being between Dayton and Sandusky.  A few years later he entered the employ of the Wabash Railway and made St. Louis his headquarters.  From there he went to New Mexico, where, seeing so many opportunities at hand, he engaged in the cattle business, which demanded all his attention for the space of five years.  Then again he returned to the railroad business, this time in Iowa, where he remained for eight years or until he came to Harshman, which he has made his home since 1898.
     On the 16th of April, 1878, Mr. Miller and Miss Alice Harshman were united in marriage.  Mrs. Miller is the daughter of George W. and Virginia (Rober) Harshman, well known in this county.  This union has been blessed with five children: Virginia; Susan, the wife of Dr. H. Lyons Hunt, of New York; Josephine; Alice, the wife of Dr. W. C. Tobey, of Pyrmont, Ohio; and Warner, who is still attending school and is taking a course that looks to a commercial career.  The family are members of the Episcopal church of Dayton and are intimately identified with its work.
     Mr. Miller is a respected member of the community where he lives and in whose welfare he takes an especially deep interest.  He served one year on the board of education, but on account of his other business had to resign, although much interested in educational matters.  His record as a soldier is a constant inspiration to youths with whom he comes in contact so frequently.  His duties as manager of the Harshman Improvement Company are not slight, yet they are assured and fulfilled with ability and to the satisfaction of all concerned.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 699
  WILLIAM MILLER, who is now living retired in the enjoyment of well earned and well merited rest, but in former years was closely and successfully associated with commercial interests as a leaf-tobacco merchant of Dayton, was born in Emmettsburg, Maryland, in the year 1846.  The first nine years of his life were there passed and in 1855, he accompanied his parents on their removal to Ohio, the family home being established in Fairfield.  Later they went to Midway, Ohio, and in 1867, Mr. Miller came to Dayton, where for forty-two years he has now made his home.  He had previously acquainted himself with cigarmaking and in this city began to work at his trade, which he followed in the employ of others for about five years.  Throughout this period, however, he was stimulated by a hope and desire of one day engaging in business for himself and when his earnings and careful expenditure had brought him sufficient capital, he began dealing in leaf tobacco, remaining in active connection with the trade from 1872 until Mach, 1909.  In the intervening thirty-seven years, he had built up an extensive business and had derived therefrom a handsome competence which now enables him to live retired without recourse to labor.
     Mr. Miller is a respected and exemplary member of the Odd Fellows society belonging to Wayne Lodge of Dayton.  In politics he is a democrat, but has never taken any active part in the work of the organization.  Through many years his energies were concentrated upon his business affairs and his close application was one of the salient features of his success.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 1058

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights