OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The History of the City of Dayton
and
The Montgomery County, Ohio.

by Rev. A. W. Drury
1909

  CHARLES RENCH, a veteran of the Civil war, who throughout his entire business career has been connected with the Third National Bank of Dayton, of which he is now the vice president and casher, is recognized as a man whose history is the story of orderly progression under the steady hand of one who is a consistent master of himself and who displays mature judgment, not only of his own capacities but also of the people and circumstances that make up his life's contacts and experiences.
     Born in Dayton, in 1844, he is a son of John and Mary (Croft) Rench, who were natives of Pennsylvania and Maryland respectively.  The interests of his youth were those which usually claim the  time and attention of the city bred boy.  He was educated in the public schools, mastering the work of consecutives grades until he was graduated from the high school with the class of 1861.  The following year, on the 1st of August, 1862, when he was a youth of but eighteen, he offered his to the government, constrained by a spirit of patriotism, becoming a private of Company B, Ninety-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He served for three years, after which he was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, in June, 1865, receiving his honorable discharge a little later at Camp Denison, Ohio.  He was orderly sergeant when he left the service and for a time had command of his company.  While but a boy in years he displayed valor and loyalty equal to that of many a veteran twice his age.  He was in all of the engagements from Chattanooga to Atlanta, also in the battle of Nashville and in others of lesser importance, but never did he falter in the performance of duty, whether on the firing line or the picket line.
     When the country no longer needed his military aid, Mr. Rench returned to Dayton and engaged in clerking for a time, but soon entered the Second National Bank and continued with its successor, The Third National Bank, when it was reorganized in 1882.  His initial position was a comparatively humble one but gradually he has worked his way upward as he has mastered the principles and details of banking until 1890 he was made cashier, while in January, 1909, he was chosen vice president and now occupies the dual position.  The bank follows a progressive policy which, however, is tempered by a safe conservatism and in its continued success Mr. Rench has been an active factor.
     In June, 1866, Mr. Rench married Miss Fannie B. Long, of Dayton, who died in January, 1867, and he was again married in November, 1869, his second union being with Miss Mary F. Gilliland, who departed this life in 1907.  In his family are seven children, namely: Glena, who married C. E. Ainsworth, of Dayton, and has one child; Alice, who married Edward Wuichet, also of this city, and has one child; Mary, who is the wife of W. P. Galloway, living on a plantation in Louisiana, and they have three children; Jeannette, at home; Louis L., who is in the collection department of the Third National Bank; Robert, who is with the Ohio Automobile Company; and John C., who is attending the high school of Dayton.
     Fraternally Mr. Rench is connected with both the subordinate lode and encampment of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, is a past officer in both and for twenty years was the efficient and valued secretary of Wayne Lodge No. 10.  He is also a member of Old Guard Post, No. 23, G. A. R.  His political endorsement is given to the republican party but he is not an active worker in its ranks.  However, he served for two years as city treasurer of Dayton, filling the office in 1870 and 1871.  While his financial interests make heavy demands upon his time he is not remiss in the duties of citizenship, his influence and support being given to various movements which are essential elements in the city's growth.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 1009
  WILLIAM J. ROSENCRANS.  A review of the business life at Dayton at once brings to light the fact that is has a very large number of extensive and profitable industrial concerns and that it is one of the centers of the iron and steel trade of the country.  With this great department of labor William J. Rosencrans is connected as a president of the American Foundry & Casting Company and the great enterprise is a monument to the business ability, energy and laudable ambition of him whose name introduces this review.
     A native of Fairfield county, Ohio, he was born upon a farm in the year 1870 and in his youthful days attended the district schools, participated in the pleasures of the playground or performed such tasks as were assigned him by parental authority.  Thus the yeas passed until he reached the age of sixteen when desirous of providing for his own support and making his start in the business world he went to Springfield, Ohio, where he began learning the molder's trade.
     In the year 1891 he came to Dayton and entered the employ of the Brownell Company, representing that and other iron concerns until 1904 when he organized and established his present business under the name of the Advanced Foundry Company.  This was not an incorporated concern but was successfully conducted until 1907 when Mr. Rosencrans organized the company of which he is now president.  When he arrived in Dayton he had but twenty-five cents.  He possessed, however, what is far better than capital - the substantial qualities which are always the basis of success,  such as industry, perseverance and determination.  He sought and secured immediate employment and from time to time his industry and his economy enabled him to add to his capital.  When he and his partner organized the Advanced Foundry Company they had twenty-three hundred dollars between them and when they had erected the building they were several hundred dollars in debt and had nothing with which to pay workmen or the running expenses of the business.  With firm and unflinching purpose they bent their energies toward the establishment of a trade, solicited orders, filled them according to contract line and established a reputation for reliability and enterprise which gained for them a constantly growing patronage.  They now have a plant valued at fifty thousand dollars and their business is enjoying substantial growth and yielding good returns.
     In 1893 Mr. Rosecrans was married in Springfield to Miss Sarah Condren and they now have one son, William R.  Mr. Rosencrans belongs to St. Joseph's Catholic church and also to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.  He is a typical young business world offers and utilizing his opportunities with the result that he is steadily forging ahead.  He allows no obstacles to bar his path if they can be overcome by persistent and honorable effort and already he has attained an enviable position in industrial circles.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 503

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights