OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

Welcome to
Montgomery Co., Ohio
History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
The History of the City of Dayton
and
The Montgomery County, Ohio.

by Rev. A. W. Drury
1909

  DANIEL VALENTINE YOST

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 748


Edmond S. Young
  EDMOND STAFFORD YOUNG, for many years a leading and distinguished member of the Dayton bar, was the eldest son of George Murray Young, (a sketch of whose lie precedes) and of Sibel Green his wife, and was born at Lyme, Grafton county, New Hampshire, Feb. 27, 1827.  At the early age of eight he came west with his parents, who had removed from New Hampshire to become residents of Newark, Licking county, Ohio.
     While a resident, of Newark, Mr. Young, attended Grandville College (now Denison University) near that city, where he completed his sophomore year in 1845, but his parents having removed to Cincinnati, he subsequently entered Farmers' (now Belmont) College at College Hill, from which he was graduated in 1847.  This institution, though comparatively small in size, has had among its alumni not a few men of distinguished ability and reputation, and among them Mr. Young was associated as a schoolmate with President Benjamin Harrison, Murat Halstead and John W. Herron, of Cincinnati, and Hon. L. B. Gunckel and Judge Henderson Elliott, of Dayton.
     Soon after leaving college he began the study of law in the office of Hon. William J. McKinney of Dayton, and subsequently was graduated at the Cincinnati Law School in the year 1853, after which he served for a term as head deputy in the office of the clerk of the courts of Montgomery county, Ohio, an experience which he always considered of great value to him as a lawyer.  After entering the practice of the law he became associated successively with George W. Brown, Hon. David A. Honk and Oscar M. Gottschall, his relation with the latter continuing from 1866 to 1879.  In the spring of 1878 Mr. Young's eldest son, George R. Young, was admitted to the firm, which, under the name of Young, Gottschall & Young, continued for a year, at the end of which period Mr. Gottschall retired.  Mr. Young and his son subsequently remained together in the practice under the name of Young & Young until his death in the year 1888.
     In September, 1856, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Mr. Young married Sarah B. Dechert, a daughter of Elijah Dechert, a leading lawyer of Reading, Pennsylvania, who was a son of Captain Peter Dechert, a soldier in the Revolutionary war.  Mrs. Young's mother, Mary Porter Dechert, was a daughter of Judge Robert Porter, also of Reading, Pennsylvania, who sat for more than twenty years on the bench in that city and who was descended from Robert Porter, a native of Ireland, who emigrated to Londonderry, New Hampshire, and afterward removed to Montgomery county, Philadelphia, where he resided until his death.  His most prominent and successful son, Mrs. Young's great-grand- grandfather, was General Andrew Porter, who was a prominent Revolutionary officer and a close personal friend and associate of Washington.  After the close of the war he was commissioned major-general of militia of Pennsylvania, and he was subsequently tendered the position of secretary of war by President Madison, but declined the honor.  His son, Judge Robert Porter, while still a mere youth but eleven years of age, served with his father in the army and having been commissioned lieutenant of artillery was probably the youngest soldier and officer in the colonial service.  Both General Andrew Porter and his son, Judge Robert Porter, were members of the Order of the Cincinnati, an honor which has passed to their descendants and a detailed sketch of their lives is published in the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography, vol. IV, No. 3, published by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania.  Mrs. Young is now one of the oldest members of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
     When the Civil war broke out Edmond Stafford Young firmly espoused the Union cause and became a stanch supporter of President Lincoln's administration.  On Oct. 16, 1861, a military committee was appointed by the governor of Ohio, to which was given charge and control of all recruiting and organization and of military matters generally in Montgomery county.  Mr. Young served as chairman of this committee, and he was thus closely identified with the organization and enlistment of practically all the regiments raised in Dayton and its vicinity.  In the fall of 1861 he was one of the "Squirrel Hunters" so called, who rallied to the defense of Cincinnati when that city was threatened by the Confederates under General Kirby Smith, and later he was appointed by Governor Brough commissioner of the draft for Montgomery county and made the largest draft in the state.  Throughout the period of mob violence and strife, which for years ran riot in Dayton, as a hot-bed of what was then known as "copper-headism," and which at one time brought that city under martial law, Mr. Young was always a conspicuous and commanding figure, and his voice, influence and example were always exerted to the full in the cause of loyalty and union.
     After the close of the war, while devoting most of his time to the work of his profession, his interest in public affairs still continued unabated.  He took a deep interest in the public schools and served efficiently on the board of education and he was a member of Dayton's first non-partisan police board, appointed in 1873, by which the present metropolitan police system was inaugurated.  He was also one of the founders of the Dayton Bar Association, now known as the Dayton Law Library Association, by which Dayton's excellent Law Library (now in point of completeness the fourth in the state) has been collected, and he served for years on its board of trustees.
     During the course of his practice his name was frequently suggested for judicial honors among others, a place on the supreme bench of the state, but he always personally discouraged such movements, preferring to remain at the bar and in the active practice of his profession.  He was a member of the Ohio State Bar Association, in which he frequently took a leading part and also of the American Bar Association.  He died suddenly Oct. 14, 1888, while still in full practice and at the zenith of his powers, leaving surviving him his widow and two sons, George R. and William H. Young, all of whom still survive, and a daughter, Mary , a young woman of most lovable personal traits and marked intellectuality, who died Aug. 13, 1895.
     Of Mr. Young, a contemporary biographer has well said: "He was a man of striking physical appearance and of marked mental characteristics.  He was born to be a lawyer.  His breadth of intellect, his strong determined will, his sound impartial judgment, his remarkable reasoning powers, his gift of nice and correct discrimination, made up a mental organization distinctively legal; while at the same time his large and well proportioned head, with its high expansive forehead, set firmly on his broad square shoulders, gave him a personal appearance in keeping with his mental characteristics.  He was a strong and pure type of that class of American lawyers, who, eschewing outside schemes for the promotion of wealth and personal aggrandizement, devote to their profession the full measure of their powers and seek happiness in the conscientious discharge of their professional, domestic and civic duties."

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 1035


George Murray Young
  GEORGE MURRAY YOUNG was in Litchfield, Connecticut, Apr. 1, 1802, and was of Scotch-Irish descent and parentage, his father, Dr. Hugh Murray Young, who was born in 1742 and died in 1815, having been an early Irish emigrant to America, whose participation in the Emmett rebellion caused him to leave Ireland and seek a refuge in the New World.  George Murray Young obtained his education at Exeter and Poughkeepsie academies.  He was fond of study, but, being thrown upon his own resources at an early age by the death of his father, he left school and learned the printer's trade, becoming both a practical printer and publisher before reaching his majority.
     While residing at Lyme, New Hampshire, in the year 1826 he married Sibel Green, a daughter of Benjamin Green of that place, and a grandaughter of Colonel Ebenezer Green, a Revolutionary soldier, whose grave may still be seen in the old Lyme burying ground.  Colonel Green had married a daughter of Benjamin Grant, also of Lyme, New Hampshire, who was the great-great-grandfather of Alice and Phoebe Carey and whose parents were also the ancestors of General U. S. Grant
     In 1835 Mr. and Mrs. Young came west with their children and located at Newark, Ohio, where for ten years Mr. Young was extensively engaged in mercantile pursuits, being the owner, among other business properties, of a line of boats on the Miami & Erie canal.  In the year 1840, having attained prominence in his new home, he became the whig candidate of Licking county for the state senate, and despite that county's usual strong democratic majority, ran far ahead of his ticket and came within forty votes of an election.
     In 1845 Mr. Young removed to Cincinnati, where he conducted a large produce and commission business until 1851, when he took up his residence at Dayton, Montgomery county.  After coming to Dayton, he retired from mercantile pursuits and served for some years as a justice of the peace, after which, in the year 1854, he was elected mayor of the city and subsequently reelected in 1855.  Some years later he was appointed United States commissioner, an office which he filled with credit and ability until his death.  His wife died at Dayton in the year 1865.
     Mr. Young was pronounced in his opinions and was an earnest friend and supporter of all moral and religious movements, being especially prominent in his labors for the cause of temperance.  While residing at Cincinnati, he was grand worthy patriarch of the Sons of Temperance, when that society numbered thirty thousand in Ohio, and he was one of the editors of its official paper, The Organ and Messenger.
     He was, from early manhood, a prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, by which organization he was elected to many prominent and responsible offices, and in whose charitable and beneficial work he at all times took a warm and active interest.  In politics he was first a whig and later a republican, and he was always a bitter and outspoken opponent of negro slavery.
     While he resided in New Hampshire and for years after coming to Ohio he was prominently identified with the Congregational church, and when, subsequently, about the year 1869, the local church of that denomination at Dayton passed out of existence he was one of its deacons, and being especially appointed for that purpose, closed its financial affairs and disposed of its property.  He, thereafter, at once allied himself with the Third Street Presbyterian church at Dayton, of which he continued a leading member until his death.
     Mr. Young's natural abilities were of a high order.  He early made up for his lack of collegiate education by wide and diligent reading, and he was well informed in politics, history and general literature, having at the same time a mind well stored with that diversified practical information when comes from daily intercourse with men and extensive business experience.
     While he was never admitted to the bar, he had published law books in his younger years, had read law attentively and had acted to such an extent as notary public, conveyancer, master commissioner and receiver and in other ways closely related to the law and the courts, that his legal knowledge and ability were well recognized and highly respected.
     He was a great admirer of the Puritan race and character and was himself the possessor of many pronounced traits which gave marked evidence of his New England birth and education.  While naturally modest and retiring in manner, he had the full courage of his strong convictions, and, when aroused, he was outspoken in their advocacy and fearless and uncompromising in their defense.  Faultless in honor, fearless in conduct and stainless in reputation, he passed away at Dayton, Ohio, Aug. 30, 1878, having always enjoyed in whatever he lived the unqualified confidence and respect of all with whom he was associated.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 1032

George R. Young
  GEORGE R. YOUNG.  In the history of the legal profession in Montgomery county the name of Young has now figured prominently for nearly sixty years, for during that period, the father, Edmond Stafford Young and the sons, George R. and William H. Young, have successively and continuously been leading members of the Dayton bar.  And, in the course of time, it has come to pass that the firm name "Young & Young," under which the brothers are still associated and which has now existed for over thirty years, has become the oldest in use among Dayton lawyers.
     George R. Young, one of Dayton's native sons, was born in that city, Oct. 2, 1857.  He obtained his education in the Dayton public schools, having graduated from the Central high school (now the Steele high school) in 1875 as valedictorian of his class and having received a good medal for scholarship.  For a time he then studied under private tutors, but soon took up the study of the law in the office of his father Edmond Stafford Young, a sketch of whose life precedes.
     He was admitted to the bar in April, 1878, and was probably at the time the youngest attorney in Ohio, having been admitted some months before reaching his majority.  Mr. Young has made the practice of law his life work, and without any of those digressions which result from office holding or lengthy vacations, he has pursued it steadily ever since his admission with a diligence and ability which have both merited and achieved success.
     Mr. Young is recognized as a sound lawyer and a forcible and convincing speaker, either before the court or jury, and his unusual command of pure and correct English always secures and retains for him close attention and careful consideration.  His firm has always enjoyed a large and representative clientage, having been retained in many of the leading cases tried in the courts of Montgomery and adjoining counties.  For the last ten years the brothers have been located in their own building, the Young Building, where their handsome suite of offices is widely celebrated for its commodious size and the unusual perfection of its arrangement and equipment.
     Mr. Young was president of his local bar association when little more than thirty years of age, and he has been for years a member of both the Ohio State and American Bar Associations.  Ever since his father's death, in 1888, he has been a trustee of the Dayton Law Library Association, having succeeded his father in that position, and during that period he has been either its treasurer or vice-president.
     Mr. Young is popular, not only in his profession but among a large circle of friends in his native city, where he enjoys the respect and esteem of the entire community.  He is a charter member of the Dayton Club, was the first president of the High School Alumni Association and one of the founders and supporters of the Dayton Literary Union, which flourished for many years in Dayton.  He has always been interested in literature and the diffusion of useful knowledge and is now the president of the Dayton Astronomical Society, formed to promote the study of astronomy and kindred sciences.
     In politics Mr. Young has always been a republican, but never a politician in the sense of seeking office as a reward for party fealty.  While absent in the east in 1881, without his solicitation or knowledge, his party nominated him for prosecuting attorney of Montgomery county.  Remaining on the ticket with reluctance, notwithstanding a customary democratic majority of more than a thousand he was beaten by only a few hundred votes.  In 1885 he was again nominated for office this time for city solicitor of Dayton.  The city was then reliably democratic, and though he ran far ahead of his ticket he was again defeated by a small majority.  Since then he has neither held nor sought political office, confining his attention entirely to his professional duties.
     In the fall of 1894, upon the elevation of Judge John A Schauck from the circuit to the supreme bench, Mr. Young, without solicitation on his part, was prominently mentioned as his successor.  A petition of Governor McKinley for his appointment was circulated and signed by practically every member of the Montgomery County Bar, but owing to lack of time, in case of success, to close up his private practice, Mr. Young withdrew his name from consideration.  Having been more recently asked to be a candidate for nomination for the supreme court judgeship and promised the united support of his county delegation, he declined to enter the contest, preferring the independence of private life.
     Neither George R. Young nor his brother William H. Young have ever married; but since their father's deceased, together with their mother, Mrs. Sarah D. Young, who at the advanced age of eighty-four years is still well preserved both mentally and physically, they have maintained their family homestead in the city, which they have greatly enlarged and beautified, and where, as well as at their country home "Willowbrook," near Dayton, they have dispensed a ready and agreeable hospitality.

Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 1039
  SAMUEL YOUNG, an industrious and enterprising agriculturist of Montgomery county, is entitled to be classed among the self-made men of this vicinity.  A native of Ohio, he was born in Jefferson township, this county, Jan. 27, 1845, a son of Thomas and Susan (Dull) Young.  The parents were natives of Maryland who came to Ohio about 1837, settling in Jefferson township, where the father became identified with farming.  In 1847, they removed to Jackson township.  In their family were the following children: Mary Catherine, John Thomas, Sarah Ann, Henry, Samuel and Susan.  The last named was reared on his father's farm and soon became familiar with the work that falls to the lot of the country lad.  At an early age he undertook the task of providing for his own livelihood and throughout the intervening years has been identified with the agricultural interests of his community.  Energetic, industrious and persevering, he has also been most careful in the management of his business interests until today he ranks among the progressive and prosperous farmers of this district.
     On the 28th of October, 1873, occurred the marriage of Mr. Young and Miss Sarah Catherine Weaver, a daughter of George W. and Eliza (Patterson) Weaver, and as the years have gone by their home has been blessed with two children, Izore Ellen and Florence Elsie, both of whom are now married and have families of their own.  The parents are members of the United Brethren church and have always been deeply interested in its various phases of work, doing all in their power to further its influence in the community.  Mr. Young has never allied himself with any fraternal organization, seeking his happiness in the companionship of his own home, to which he is most devoted.  Politically he supports the republican party at the polls but has never sought nor desired public office as a reward for party realty.  Depending upon his own resources from an early age, with no special advantages at the outset of his career, he has, through indefatigable energy and undaunted perseverance, made his way upward in the business world until he is today recognized as a substantial and prosperous representative of agricultural interests.  His life has been one of continuous activity in which has been accorded due recognition of honest labor, while his sterling characteristics make him an honored and respected citizen of Jackson township.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 8
60
  WILLIAM H. YOUNG, who for more than a quarter of a century has been active in the practice of law at Dayton, is the second son of Edmond Stafford and Sarah (Dechert) Young, and was born in his home city, Mar. 2, 1860.  Upon his father's death in 1888 he became a member of the well known law firm of Young & Young, in which he has ever since been, and still is, associated with his brother George R. Young.  His education was obtained in the Dayton public schools, and upon leaving the high school he studied law in the office of his father and brother, being subsequently admitted to the bar in the year 1884 at Columbus, Ohio, after passing the examination prescribed by the rules of the supreme court.  For many years after his admission he took a keen interest in politics, serving shortly after attaining his majority as president of the Blaine and Logan "First Voters," and during hits period he made many campaign speeches, some o which made so strong an impression that they are still frequently recalled and gained for him a wide reputation as a ready, eloquent and convincing speaker.  At a later period he was often urged to become a candidate for the legislature or for congress, but, although possession much personal magnetism and enjoying great popularity and being in all respects admirably fitted for public life, like his father and brother, he has continuously declined to enter politics.
     When he was only about ten years of age Mr. Young suffered from a very malignant attack of scarlet fever, from which hip disease and other complications ensued, confining him to his bed for nearly four years, resulting in permanent lameness and causing a decided limp in his walk, but this disadvantage, which would have proved a serious handicap to many, has in his case, served only to add to his already marked personality, without detracting in any appreciable degree from his energy, his activity or his usefulness.  In Dayton, his native city, he has long been a conspicuous and familiar figure, and his genial manners, unfailing good humor and buoyancy of spirits, together with his strong and unique personality, in many respects bearing marked resemblance to his father's, have been such that it is scarcely an exaggeration to say that he has been known to almost every man, woman and child in the city.  He has also a large circle of acquaintance throughout the state, not only among members of the legal profession, but including those who for the past twenty years have been prominent in political and official circles.
     His personal characteristics are such that he is a good mixer and makes friends easily, and when once seen by any one he is rarely forgotten.  He has, at various times, taken a leading part in public movements at Dayton, for the promotion of charitable objects and moral and civic reforms; and the removal from office, a few years ago, of an objectionable chief of police, who had obtained a strong and apparently impregnable foothold, was almost wholly due to his seasonable initiative and courageous, able and untiring efforts.  His goodness of heart and sympathy with his kind are well known and constantly remarked upon, not only as exemplified by his devotion to his mother and brother, and to his sister, now deceased, but also by a broad philanthropy extending to persons in all walks of life which has earned for him the deserved gratitude of many who have been assisted by his timely advice and personal aid in hours of sorrow, sickness and adversity.
     At the bar he has always borne a reputation on a strong jury advocate, and in this field, affording as it does, opportunity for the display of his attractive individuality, his sound common sense and great knowledge of human nature, his efforts have been attended by marked success.  He is strong in his likes and dislikes and outspoken in his opinions, but while he is slow to forgive an injury or wrong, he never forgets a friend.  While he gives close attention to professional matters, being an excellent judge of land values and experienced in matters of general business, he devotes a part of his time to the management of his own and his brother's real-estate holdings, and to their other private interests.
     Being unmarried, Mr. Young lives at home with his mother and brother in the family homestead, where his father formerly resided, spending part of the year at their country home near Dayton, whose beauty and popularity are largely due to his excellent taste and to his thoughtful care and attention.
Source:  The History of the City of Dayton and Montgomery Co., Ohio by Rev. A. W. Drury - Publ. 1909 - Vol. II - Page 1043

NOTES:

 


 
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights