OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Pickaway County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

 

BIOGRAPHIES

History of Pickaway County
and Representative Citizens
Edited and Compiled by
Hon. Aaron R. Van Cleaf
Circleville, Ohio
Publ. 1906

 

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

ADAM BAILEY, a prominent citizen and large farmer of Monroe township, whose farm of 200 acres is situated on the Clark's Run road, is also one of the most successful breeders of fine horses, cattle and stock in this section.  Mr. Bailey was born Mar. 29, 1847, in Ross County, Ohio, and is a son of James and Elizabeth (Hyatt) Bailey.
    
The branch of the Bailey family to which our subject belongs came from Germany.  The grandfather was Richard Bailey, who came to America and settled in Ross County, Ohio, where he bought a farm in the wilderness, paying 25 cents an acre for it.  He built a substantial stone house, erecting it on the second highest hill in Ross county, and it still stands as one of the old landmarks.  His wife, Catherine, was born in Pennsylvania.  They had nine children, namely: Katherine (Shaner); Mary Ann, wife of Elisha Wilkins who owned the farm where J. Taylor now lives; Alexander; Martin; Hamilton, a physician, who out-lived all his brothers; Thomas, James, father of our subject; and two who died in infancy.
     James Bailey was born on the old Bailey farm in Ross County not far from Bourneville.  His whole life was devoted to agriculture.  He married Elizabeth Hyatt, a daughter of Reuben and Maria Hyatt, natives of Pennsylvania, who died in early life and were survived by four children, viz.:  Reuben, Maria, and Elizabeth and Hannah (twins).  Of this family, Reuben was adopted by a neighbor who was on the point of moving to the West, having provided one of those huge wagons covered with cotton cloth, in which the pioneers lived comfortably while transporting themselves and their belongings to distant points.  Reuben Hyatt grew to manhood in the West and married; his children are comfortably established in Washington County, Iowa, and were visited by our subject recently.
     Elizabeth Hyatt, who, with her twin sister, was reared as a daughter by her uncle, Jeremiah Foster, was subsequently married to James Bailey, as mentioned above.  They began housekeeping on the old Bailey farm, and there all their children were born, with the exception of Susan, who was born after the family moved to Monroe township.  There she married Thomas A. Taylor, of Chillicothe; she married Thomas A. Taylor, of Chillicothe; she is now deceased.  The other children were: Mary Ann, who married Joseph Larkin (who died a prisoner in Libby Prison, during the Civil War) and now resides at Portsmouth, Ohio - her second husband, John Dunten, is deceased; Martin, who married (first) Elizabeth (Smith) Ballah, of Darby township; Lavina, who married (first) John Kumamon (who died in the Civil War) and (second) R. B. Higgins, and resides in Columbus; Sarah, deceased in February, 1903, who was the wife of James Dick, of New Holland; Catherine, who married W. K. Bennett, and resides near our subject; Hannah, who married John L. Corkwell and has lived in Kansas for the past 23 years; Reuben, who married Julia Davis, of Ross County, and lives at Mount Sterling, Ohio; and Adam of this sketch.
     Adam Bailey was seven years old when the family left Ross County, and moved to Pickaway, settling in Monroe township.  On Feb. 7, 1862, when 15 years old, he went to work for one of the old pioneers of Monroe township, a very prominent stockman, John Van Buskirk, and although but a lad in his years he impressed Mr. Van Buskirk so favorably that he was made overseer of his farm of 800 acres.  Having much to do with the raising and breeding of stock, this farm being noted for its fine stock, Mr. Bailey studied as a veterinarian and ever since has been more or less engaged in the practice of this profession.  Mr. Van Buskirk also conducted a dairy and cheese factory and kept from 50 to 100 head of cattle, many horses and a large amount of other stock.
     In the course of time, Mr. Bailey became almost indispensable to Mr. Van Buskirk and subsequently married Mary Van Buskirk, his employer's youngest daughter.  When Mr. Van Buskirk died, 74 acres of the present Bailey farm became the property of Mrs. Bailey by will.  Mr. Bailey purchased 100 acres of his present farm from the Van Buskirk heirs and later bought 26 acres from Marion Van Buskirk, his brother-in-law.  It is all in one body and makes a magnificent farm.  It is well watered by Clark's Run, and for stock purposes is one of the best farms in Monroe township.  He has a fine field of alfalfa which he cuts four times a year as fodder for his stock.  Mr. Bailey devotes a great deal of attention to sheep raising, breeds thorough-bred cattle, Poland China hogs and raises some of the best horses that have ever come from this section of the State.  Among these is a noted saddle mare, that is known all over Pickaway County. is fine horse, "Diamond," took the second premium at the State Fair at Columbus.  Quite recently he has suffered a heavy loss by the death of a fine stallion, "Rigor," which was celebrated all through this section.  In addition to being a successful farmer, stock-raiser and veterinary surgeon, he is also an inventor and has patented a small device which renders corn-husking an easy matter.
     On Sept. 20, 1868, Mr. Bailey was married (first) to Mary Van Buskirk.  Her father died in October, 1872, and later, in the following year, on account of an epidemic of typhoid fever, the whole family left Monroe township and moved into Mount Sterling.  All the family had an attack but no lives were lost as they had nurses and good medical care, while scarcely any of their neighbors in the country escaped a death in the family.  Mr. Bailey purchased a house at Mount Sterling and the family expected to remain in it but a few months, but the months were prolonged until their period of residence there covered 22 years.  In February, 1897, Mr. Bailey moved back to the farm.   In December, 1893, Mrs. Mary Bailey died and he was married (second), on Feb. 7, 1897, to Margaret Fletcher, who is a daughter of Peter and Mary (Benns) Fletcher, of Ross County.  The other members of Peter Fletcher's family are: Anna; Mary, wife of William Hays; Frank; William; and Ella.  Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher still reside on their farm in Ross ounty.
     Mr. Bailey has two sons, Walter Harry, born to his first marriage, the latter, on Jan. 7, 1906.  Walter Harry Bailey owns a fine farm of 50 acre in Monroe township.  He was born at Mount Sterling, Ohio, Jan. 27, 1877.  He was given excellent educational advantages and was one of the brightest students that graduated from the Mount Sterling High School.  He then worked in a grocer store, later opened a bicycle repair shop and also became much interested in electricity.  Probably with a view of turning his attention from the __tter study, his father presented him with his present farm and stocked it and here he has resided since his marriage.  On Oct. 7, 1896, he was married to Helen Merrill who is a daughter of Simon Peter and Mary (Gulick) Merrill.  They have two children, viz.: Frederick Van Buskirk, born Feb. 17, 1900; and Lola, born Aug. 21, 1902.  Both he and wife belong to the Christian Church at Mount Sterling.  He is a member of the Knights of Pythias. 
     Mr. Bailey has always been a prominent __ure in public affairs wherever he has lived.  He served as a member of the Council at Mount Sterling for 14 years and was also a member of the School Board on which he has also served in Monroe township, at one time being its president.  In 1900 he was elected township trustee and is still filling this position.  Since 1875 he has been an Old Fellow, belonging to the subordinate lodge and to the encampment.  Mr. Bailey is a leading member of the Christian Church at Mount Sterling.  Personally he is a men of the most exemplary character, temperate in both speech and habits.
Source:  History of Pickaway County, Ohio and Representative Citizens, Edited and Compiled by Hon. Aaron R. Van Cleaf. Circleville, Ohio - Publ. 1906 - Page 505
THOMAS JOSEPH BAKER, who has been identified with Pickaway County for the past 30 years, was born March 22, 1828, in Massachusetts.  His well-cultivated farm of 18 acres is situated in Wayne township.
     Mr. Baker was a child in years when his parents moved from Massachusetts to New York.  In 1858 he came to Ohio and settled in Lake County, afterward removing to Ross County and finally coming to Pickaway County about 1876.  In 1861 he offered his services to his country as a soldier and served through the Civil War as a member of the 128th Regiment, Ohio Vol. Infantry.
     Mr. Baker married Melinda Tucker, of near Cleveland, Ohio, who died while he was serving in the war.  In 1867 he married Jemima Grimes daughter of John Grimes, of Ross County, Ohio.  One child, which died in infancy, was born to the first union.  Six children were born to Mr. Baker's second marriage, namely: Eugene, John, Joseph, George, Etta and AnnaMr. Baker has had to part with all his sons.  His two daughters still survive, the former of whom married John Janes, of Ross County, and the latter, George Tatman, of Wayne township.  Mr. Baker has 10 granddaughters and one grandson, the latter of whom bears his name.
     Mr. Baker ha taken considerable interest in his time in public affairs and served as constable both in Ross and Pickaway counties.  He is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Pickaway County, Ohio and Representative Citizens, Edited and Compiled by Hon. Aaron R. Van Cleaf. Circleville, Ohio - Publ. 1906 - Page 717
C. L. BOYER, superintendent of the schools of Circleville, and one of the Pickaway County's leading educators, was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, in 1864, and is a son of David Boyer, who was born in Fairfield County in 1830, his father having come there from Pennsylvania.
     C. L. Boyer's education was commenced in his native county.  He subsequently attended the Capital University at Columbus, where he was graduated in 1891, with the degree of A. B.  He then took charge of the schools at Lithopolis, Ohio, where he remained for two years and then entered Lima College, at Lima, Ohio, as a member of the faculty, having the chair of mathematics.  For four years he was also at the head of the normal department.  During the succeeding two years he had charge of the schools of Logan, Ohio, and then came to Circleville, in 1899.
     For the past seven years Mr. Boyer has been the head and front of the excellent school system of Circleville, and his careful, conscientious work was brought about remarkable results.  The schools here have an enrollment of 1,300 pupils, who are distributed in four school buildings, being under the instruction of 39 teachers.  To see that all of the latter are capable and faithful like himself, is no slight task, but Mr. Boyer has insisted on the methods which his experience has taught him are the best and has gathered about him a very efficient corps of instructors.  His services of the city in the educational field are thoroughly appreciated.
     In July, 1889, Mr. Boyer was married to Clara Shade, who is a daughter of Daniel Shade, of Fairfield County, Ohio, and they have three daughters and one son.
     Mr. Boyer is connected with the leading educational institutions of the State, is a member of the Ohio State Teachers' Association, the Central Ohio Teachers' Association, of which he has been vice-president, and of the Central Ohio Schoolmasters' Club, of which he has been secretary and treasurer.
Source:  History of Pickaway County, Ohio and Representative Citizens, Edited and Compiled by Hon. Aaron R. Van Cleaf. Circleville, Ohio - Publ. 1906 - Page 732
JONATHAN BRINKER, a well-known and respected farmer residing on a valuable tract of 100 acres in section 9, Walnut township, is also the proprietor of a large general store and implement depot, situated at the crossroads near his home.  The family residence is a large brick house built by himself and father in 1889, and is an added evidence of Mr. Brinker's substantial prosperity.
     On subject was born May 15, 1851, on a farm adjoining the place he now occupies, and is a son of Barnabas and Elizabeth (Knight) Brinker.  His father was also a native of Walnut township, being a son of George Brinker who settled in this township in the early pioneer days.  After reaching-an industrious and useful manhood in this locality, Barnabas Brinker married Elizabeth Knight, whose father was John Knight.  Of the eight children born to them, these five are still living:  Oliver Perry, of Walnut township; M. T., of Columbus; C. F., of Ashville; Mrs. Gilbert Humble; and Jonathan, of this sketch.  Two children died in infancy and George passed away Sept. 1, 1901, aged about 52 years.
     Jonathan Brinker was reared and educated in Walnut township, and married Lida Weaver, daughter of D. F. Weaver, on the 29th of January, 1879.  They have two children: Harry W.; and Meda Alice, who married Charles Hay and lives on the old home farm.
     Besides managing his extensive agricultural operations, Mr. Brinker conducts a farm implement and a general store.  Among the large stock of agricultural implements which he carries are the Milburn wagon and the Great Western manure spreader.  An idea of the extent of his general business may be gained by the statements that during the season of 1905 he sold 34 of the manure spreaders at the standard price of $118, and that he yearly disposes of between two and three car-loads of wagons.  He also carries a large stock of buggies, surreys, carriages, harness, etc.  His general store is one of the most complete in the township.
     Mr. Brinker's fraternal connections are confined to the Knights of Pythias, and his religious, to his membership in Hedges Chapel, of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Source:  History of Pickaway County, Ohio and Representative Citizens, Edited and Compiled by Hon. Aaron R. Van Cleaf. Circleville, Ohio - Publ. 1906 - Page 818
OLIVER PERRY BRINKER, a respected farmer of Walnut township, residing on a fine estate of 157 acres in section 25, was born in the township named on Dec. 31, 1852.  He is a son of Barnabas and Elizabeth (Knight) Brinker, prominent in the agricultural community of the eastern section of Pickaway County, his father at the time of his death being the owner of about 300 acres of land in Walnut township and r00 acres in other townships.  As the name implies, the family is of good old German stock.
     Oliver P. Brinker was trained to habits of homely industry and honesty and, as a farmer's son, received a limited education in the district schools.  When he reached manhood, he was well qualified to take his place of useful labor in the township which has always been his home.
     On Feb. 26, 1879, Oliver P. Brinker was united in marriage with Josephine Blacker, a daughter of Henry Blacker, and they are the parents of two children.  Dennis, the elder, married Zora Peters, a daughter of John Peters.  Della, the younger, married Robert Peters, son of Rev. Robert W. Peters, of Walnut township; her husband and her brother are in partnership in the hardware business at Ashville.  Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Brinker have one child - Ethel - and Mr. and Mrs. Robert  Peters have also a daughter - Helen.  Oliver P. Brinker is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a trustee, and altogether is an honored and substantial member of his native township.
Source:  History of Pickaway County, Ohio and Representative Citizens, Edited and Compiled by Hon. Aaron R. Van Cleaf. Circleville, Ohio - Publ. 1906 - Page 453
 


 

CLICK HERE to Return to
PICKAWAY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights