OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Pickaway County, Ohio
History & Genealogy

 

History of Pickaway County
Source:  History of Franklin & Pickaway Counties, Ohio
Illustrations and Biographical Sketches
Published by Williams Bros. 1880

 

MADISON
 

MADISON
* BOUNDARY AND ERECTION
* SETTLEMENT - includes short sketches of settlers
* EARLY INDUSTRY
* EARLY SCHOOLS
* BUSINESS
* INDIANS
* SOCIETY
* POST-OFFICE
* CHURCHES
* CEMETERIES
* BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

     This is township ten, range, twenty-one, and is in the extreme northeast corner of Pickaway county.   It comprises Mathew's survey, and contains twenty-four sections, beginning with section thirteen in the northeast corner, and including section thirty-six, in teh southeast corner of the township.  Of these, two sections were reserved for school lands, namely: sections sixteen and twenty-one.
     Walnut creek runs through the western half of the township, from north to south, the lands on its bottom being very rich and productive.  Slate runs empties into Walnut creek, near the northeast corner of section twenty, and comprises several branches, spreading from the southeast to the northeast corner of the township, and furnishing excellent drainage for the entire eastern part thereof.  At some points, the banks of this run are high and unfit for cultivation, and are still covered with forest, while many springs of pure water are to be found, some at quite an elevation above and bed of the run.  Walnut creek is a very muddy stream, seldom becoming clear, showing the result of the washing from clay soil.
     The soil of Madison is uniformly good, consisting of a black loam and gravel on the lower lands, and clay on the hills, with many excellent beds of gravel.  The eastern part of the township rises into quite large hills, with, generally, a long slope to the lowlands, which were originally swamps, and, at the time of the settlement of the county, abounded in wild ducks and geese, which were readily shot by hunters.
      Game was plenty at an early day.  The forests were the home of the deer and turkey, and bear were occasionally seen, as they made their way through the country to their haunts in the lower part of the Hocking valley.  Wild ducks were plenty, and the smaller game, such as pheasants, rabbits, and squirrels, and inhabited every part of the underbrush and forest.
    
Ancient remains of the extinct race of Mound Builders were to be found in the shape of small mounds, in different parts of the township, many of which are now almost obliterated, by the successive plowing of the land upon which they were located.  Some relics are to be seen, that have been dug from these mounds.  Hon. A. L. PERRILL has in his possession a small piece of copper taken from one of these mounds, which bears resemblance to a chisel.
     The gigantic mastodon, at some remote period, roamed through this country.  The writer was shown a tooth of one of these extinct animals, by the above-named gentleman, that is a fine specimen.  It was obtained while building a road in the swamp, and is some seven inches in length, and weighs five pounds.
     Implements belonging to the later race of Indians are frequently found, and consist of stone hammers, or tomahawks, spear and arrow-heads, fleshers, for removing the skins of wild animals, flints, used for cutting the skins, and pestles, for pounding corn and preparing it for use.  Many of the present owners of the soil have small collections of this kind, and, at this late day, are making efforts to increase their stock of these relics, that in time will be valuable.

BOUNDARY AND ERECTION.

     Madison is bounded on the north by Madison township, in Franklin county; on the east by Bloom township, in Fairfield county; on the south by Walnut, and on the west by Harrison townships, in Pickaway county.
     This township was established June 5, 1810, by the county commissioners, who ordered that all that part of Madison and Walnut Creek townships be erected into a separate township, beginning at the north boundary line of the county at the twenty-second rage line; thence extending with the county line eastward to the northeast corner of the county; thence extending along the county line south to the southeast corner of lot or section number one, of township number nine, in range number twenty-one (Matthews' survey); then extending west to the southwest corner of section number six, in said township number nine; thence extending along the twenty-second range line north to the place of beginning.  The said township to be known by the name of Madison township.  The place of holding election to be the house of Luck DECKER, on Saturday, June 23, 1810. 

 

     < SETTLEMENT >

 

< RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >


 

CLICK HERE to Return to
PICKAWAY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Ohio Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights