SETTLEMENT AND ORGANIZATION
Blanchard township was organized in 1833, the year
efore Putnam county was organized, and at that time
included the territory now in Van Buren, Riley,
Blanchard and Richland townships. Richland
township and the south tier of sections of Riley
township were detached from Putnam county in 1848
and added to Allen county. When Blanchard
township was organized, in 1833, it was a part of
Williams county, and the county seat was then
located at Fort Defiance. The order creating
the township is found in the commissioners' records
of Williams county.
As far as known, there were only eight voters in the
township at the time it began its career, although
after the organization of the township the settlers
began to come in rapidly. Otho Crawfis
and his wife, Sarah Agner, had the
honor of being the first settlers in this extensive
township. They were natives of Fairfield
county, Ohio, and settled in Putnam county on Oct.
17, 1831. The year following, came Samuel
Hall, Joseph Hickerson and H. M. Crawfis.
In 1833 the population was increased by the families
of Abraham Hardin, Hezekiah Bonham, William
Prichett, Calvin and Alexander Morehead.
The year 1834 saw a still larger number of families
casting their fortunes with the pioneers of this
township. In this eyar came William
Patrick, Henry Pope, Joseph Wade, Samuel Hickerson,
Joseph Bowen, George Shoemaker, Thomas McClure,
Andrew McClure and Charles Guysinger.
The following year brught in the families of
George Bacon, Azariah Smith and John Stewart.
Unfortunately, the early records of Blanchard township
were burned many years ago and definite data on its
early history is hard to obtain. It is known
that the first election was held at the home of
Otho W. Crawfis, Sr., and that the
following officers were elected: Samuel
Hall, Abraham Hardin and Otho W.
Crawfis, Sr., trustees; Joseph Hickerson,
clerk; Otho W. Crawfis, Sr., justice of the
peace. Hickerson was selected by the
voters to take the election returns to Defiance,
and, while in the county seat, he was sworn in as
clerk. Upon his return he swore the other
officers in and then the new county was ready for
An interesting story is told of Crawfis, who had
been elected justice of the peace, and the story has
the unusual advantage of being true. When he
received his commission as justice of the peace for
Blanchard township, Williams county, from Defiance,
signed by Governor Lucas, he returned it,
thinking that he lived in Putnam county.
Within a short time the commission was returned to
him with the official information that it was
correct and that Putnam county had not yet been
Elam Day, a Methodist, preached the first sermon
in the township, at the home of Samuel Hall,
of the fall of 1832. Martin Hickerson,
born in 1833, a son of Joseph Hickerson,
was the first white child born in the township.
The first death was that of a Miss Killpatrick,
and it occurred the same year. The year 1833
also witnessed the first marriage, that of Samuel
Myers and Margaret Hardin, the wedding
taking place on Christmas day. The first road
was the Findlay-Defiance road, and was surveyed
through the township in the early part of the
Gilboa, the first town, was laid out in 1837 by
Elisha Stout, who also built the first
grist-mill in the township. The first election
for township trustees was held in Gilboa, Nov. 19,
1852. Wolves were plentiful in this part of
the county, also deer, wild turkeys and other game
could be seen. The first school in the
township was taught by James Wade. The
schoolhouse was built of logs, with hewed benches
for seats and wide boards nailed against the wall
for writing desks. It was heated by a
fireplace made of mortar and sticks. Reading,
writing, spelling and arithmetic were the only
branches taught. Mr. Wade was followed,
in order, by Eliza Emmons, Emeline
Hubbard, William Pierman, Mrs. Susan McClish, Mary
Cartwright, James Agner, Lydia Shelby, Jane
McDowell, Luella Agner, Laura Higginbothan and
PRESENT TOWNSHIP OFFICIALS.
Justice of the peace, A. V. Logan, of Gilboa;
trustees, Hugh Harris and L. A.
Pitney, of Gilboa and John Crawfis,
of Leipsic; clerk, W. H. Tobias, of Gilboa;
treasurer, W. B. Bierhart, of Gilboa;
constables, Henry Bowman and
Richard McClure, of Gilboa.
was stated before, was laid out in 1837.
Nelson McCallister built the first frame house
in the village, but it was only a short time until
the town began to grow. About the year 1839, a
tavern was opened by Benjamin Stewart and
Edward Mercer started a general store.
Blacksmiths, mechanics and men of different trades
began to settle here and it became a thriving
It is characteristic that Gilboa had the most rapid
growth of any town in the county. From 1840 to
the early fifties it was classed as the most
McCulloughville, located on the Findlay, Ft. Wayne &
Western railroad, was platted in 1888 by L. E.
Holtz, civil engineer, for D. U. McCullough.
This town was the site of Crawfis College and
a postoffice was established here for the
convenience of the college and the surrounding
country. But this was later served by a mail
route and the town has ceased to exist.
bears the distinction of being one of the few "paper
towns" of the county. It was laid out, but
Blanchard has within its boundaries two institutions
which will be dealt with in another chapter, the
county infirmary and Crawfis College.
situated on the Northern Ohio railroad and the
southwestern part of Jennings township. It is
surrounded by rich farming lands and bids fair to
become a thriving little village. It has a
church and school building for the convenience of
township was organized in April, 1837. The
first settler to locate here was Alexander
Montooth, in 1835. Later in the same year,
Charles Hofstetter, Nicholas and J. R.
McConnell, Samuel James, James and John
Irvin, John Crebbs and O. C. Pomeroy took
up their permanent residence in this township.
H. S. Ramsey, Jacob Sigler, Henry Knopp, James
Woodell and Robert Lowry came a short
time later and aided in the early settlement and
At the first election, Nicholas McConnell was
chosen justice of the peace, and J. R. McConnell
was elected constable. The early records have
been lost and a full list of the first township
officers cannot be given.
The land in Liberty township was originally very swampy
and this made it unhealthy. The first
settlements, for this reason, were made on what was
then called the Ridge, which was a slightly elevated
strip of land. The growth of this township was
very slow at first, as a great part of the land was
unfit for cultivation. The swamps and ponds of the
township were drained in 1860 and the land has been
tiled, and in this way brought under cultivation.
After the swamps were drained the sickness of this
locality was greatly decreased and it became a very
The first town was laid out in 1845 by the late
Judge Palmer and was called Medary.
Judge Palmer kept the first store in the town
and erected a combination grist- and saw-mill, which
was quite a curiosity to the early settlers.
The building was a frame structure, with the
grist-mill above and the saw-ill below. The
site of this once thriving village is now covered
with fields of waving corn.
The present officers of Liberty township are:
Justices of the peace, John Farley, of
Leipsic; Louis Lammers and Mack Shaffer,
of West Leipsic; clerk, Joseph Lammers, of
West Leipsic; treasurer, P. H. Schey, of West
Leipsic; constables, Jefferson Ladd and Herb
Dukes, of West Leipsic.
Leipsic was lad out and platted in 1852. In
the year 1850 John W. Peckenpaugh purchased
the land where the village of West Leipsic now
stands and had the first survey of twenty lots made,
by Samuel Parker, county surveyor. A
second and third survey was made in the following
years, 1853-54, and completed the platting of all
the lands now included in the town lying north of
the Nickel Plate railroad.
The first house built in the village was erected by
John Shakely in 1850 and was known as the old
Shakely house for a number of years. It
was long used as a hotel and drug store.
From 1850 to 1855 the first settlers of the town came
in, these including the following: J. J.
Lowry, who kept the first store in the town and,
later, was elected the first justice of the peace;
John Dehnert was the first blacksmith;
Joseph Faber, first wagon maker; George
Haskell, first cooper, and Dr.
Samuel Emery was the first physician.
The first white child born in the town was Louisa
M. Lowry, daughter of J. J. Lowry, born
on Sept. 29, 1852. Later, Miss Lowry
became the wife of Doctor Emery, one of the
leading physicians of the county.
The town was incorporated in 1882 with the following
officials: R. Haskell, mayor; W. J.
White, clerk; M. L. Pritchard, marshal;
Thomas James, treasurer. The present
officers are: Mayor, S. M. Tilbrook; clerk,
Earl J. Shaffer; treasurer, M. IL.
Pritchard, marshal, John E. Miller;
councilmen, F. M. Bennett, J. I. Smith; W.
J. Woodell, Solomon Close; J. A. Montooth, Mack
The population in 1910 was two hundred and fifty-three
Elm Center is another
small hamlet in this township, being but a rail-
road station on the Nickel Plate
road. A similar village in Prentiss, a
rail-road station on the Dayton, Toledo & Ironton
next to the youngest township in the county, being
second only to Palmer. Cut off from Perry
township in 1852, it has had a slow, but steady,
growth since it started on its independent career.
Like many other townships, its settlement was
retarded on account of the general swampiness of its
soil, and it was not until 1849 that its first
permanent settler, Adam Perrin, made his
appearance here. He seemed to have the whole
township to himself for two years, or at least there
is no record of any others until 1851, when John
Grant risked his fortunes in the malaria-ridden
district. In the same and following years
appeared John and Eli Fickle, Hiram Madden,
William Moore, D. D. Barnes, James Early, Samuel
Birge, D. D. Murphy and Solomon McCullough.
At the first election, on Apr. 5, 1852, there were
only twelve votes cast and six of these electors
were chosen to various offices, as follows:
William Moore, John and Eli Fickle, trustees;
James Early, clerk; John Grant,
treasurer; Solomon McCullough, supervisor.
At that time the township consisted of one road and
one school district. The first teacher was
George Krites, who taught in a small cabin on
The following are township officers at the present
time: Justices of the peace, F. E.
Treece, and E. L. Hartman; trustees,
Frank Hall, J. W. Ernst and F. E. Treece,
all of Continental; clerk, F. E. Moore, of
Continental; treasurer, R. W. Kissell, of
Continental; constables, M. G. Pese and
Daniel Noe, of Continental; ditch supervisor,
J. L. Carroll, of North Creek.
is the chief town in Monroe township, but its
history and growth will be dealt with in another
chapter. Lying due west of Continental three
miles on the Nickel Plate railroad is a small hamlet
which needs honorable mention. This aforesaid
town is Hartsburg. The date of platting of
this village, if it was ever platted, cannot be
ascertained. At present Hartsburg has one
church and a school building. It is a stop on
the Nickel Plate railroad.
Wisterman is also a small hamlet in this township.
It was platted in 1883 by E. W. Dimock, for
W. S. Daly, E. R. Eastman and Jane James,
the proprietors. This town failed to
materialize to any great extent and at present is
merely a stop on the Toledo, St. Louis & Western
railroad. RICE was once a postoffice
for the convenience of country people, but at
present is only an interurban stop.
CONTINENTAL, first called MARICE CITY,
was laid out and platted on March 23, 1888, by
George Skinner for Gen. A. V. Rice.
It was named in honor of the General's daughter,
Mary Rice. At the time when the Nickel
Plate railroad was constructed through Putnam county
and land in the southeastern part of Monroe township
was one vast body of unbroken wilderness and swamp.
The Rice road improvements were constructed in 1865
through the present site of Marice City and made
this land productive and, with the intersection of
two railroads, a very desirable location for a town.
In 1888 the Buckeye Stave Company erected their
stave factory on their addition which they had laid
out the same year (James Belford, surveyor).
In the same year Dr. B. D. Sparling employed
A. Overbeck to lay out and plat his first
addition. In 1887 D. W. Seitz laid out
and platted an addition for Gen. A. V. Rice,
and the following year the same surveyor platted a
second addition for Dr. B. D. Sparling.
Mr. Seitz also platted a second addition for
the Buckeye Stave Company, in 1890, and the same
year sub-divided outlot Nol. I of Rice's addition,
for the district assessor, H. B. Pierce.
In 1895 Mr. Seitz also platted a sub-division
for W. H. Miller.
The first store was
opened up in Marice City by James Sullivan.
This was followed, soon afterward, by a general
store by the Buckeye Stave Company, but was later
purchased by H. B. Rose and Alvin Poe.
James Bell built his present store room and
opened up a general store in 1887. Others
followed soon afterward. The town was
incorporated Mar. 22, 1888, with the following
officers: Polk Berbate, mayor; C. G.
Ballman, clerk; James Bell, treasurer;
C. S. Parish, marshal; W. B. Miller, John
Hutchison, Hiram Dellinger, George Hahn, Silas
Colvin and John Shamberger, councilmen. At
the time when the town was incorporated several of
the citizens tried to get the name changed to
Continental, but this was not accomplished until
Apr. 17, 1899k, at the February term of court.
Continental has been settled by business men who are
ever striving for the betterment of the town.
New bank buildings and business houses have been
constructed, which give the town its present
prosperous and enterprising air. Its business
interests consist of an elevator and milling
company, the Continental and the Farmers bank, the
Cloverleaf hotel, the Sanitary grocery, T. Hauck
& Company's drug store, general stores, produce
dealers, and merchants who cater to the wants of the
town and country people.
The present population of the town is more than one
thousand. The present officers are: Mayor,
H. C. Parrett; clerk, S. N. Aller;
treasurer, C. B. Shinabery; marshal, M. G.
Pease; councilmen, W. H. Wright, W. C. Veach,
Alonzo Spitler, John Minch, B. A. Manor and
D. F. Owens; trustees of public affairs, L.
B. Guy, William Saegers and . P. Crawfis.
Cleveland is a small hamlet lying three miles north
of Ottawa. Its postoffice is called Brickner.
One store and a few houses make up the settlement
township was the last one organized in the county
and dates its independent existence from 1854,
previous to which time it had been known as North
Greensburg. It was named in honor of Judge
Palmer, an eminent jurist who had served on the
bench of Putnam county with universal satisfaction
to the people of the country. The last
organization of this township was due to the lack of
a sufficient population to justify its creation.
By the fall of 1854 the citizens resident within the
proposed township satisfied the commissioners
accordingly ordered an election for Jan. 1, 1855.
The thirteen voters selected the following corps of
officials: John Frazee, John Kerns and John
S. Welch, trustees; John Hamilton,
treasurer; David Caldwell, clerk; John
Kerns, justice of the peace; David Caldwell,
constable. This combination of Johns and
Davids started the township on its independent
career, and although sixty years have come and gone
since they were elected, yet many men are still
living in the township who can recall these
Palmer township is situated in what was then known as
the "Black Swamp," a descriptive term which fitly
explains the reason why the township was so slow in
being settled. The beavers threw hundreds of
trees across the sluggish North and South Powell
creeks and the water, thus dammed up, spread over a
goodly portion of the area of the township.
Old residents can still recall how these unique dams
had to be torn out before the land could be drained.
Many years elapsed before the streams were cleared
of the obstructions in such a way that artificial
drainage could be secured to any advantage. At
the present time nearly all of the township has been
brought under cultivation and no better land is to
be found in the country than that which was until a
few years ago covered with from one to two feet of
The present Palmer township officers are as follows:
Justices of the Peace, George A. Alt and
John S. Schafer trustees, Martin Gebhardt,
Laurence Seimet and James Troyer clerk,
William R. Stuber; treasurer, C. C. Schafer;
constables, John Seimet and William
platted and laid out on Dec. 26, 1882. This
town was the home of the Hector Stave Company, which
was one of the largest and leading industries of
this county until the timber was exhausted.
The town was platted by E.W. Dimmock, county
surveyor, and named in honor of Hector Havemeyer,
one of the members of the company.
The growth of this little village was very rapid and at
the height of its prosperity it was the center of
the mercantile trade of that locality. The
Hector store, through its standard methods and
square dealings, was known throughout Putnam county.
The proprietors of Hector were liberal in
contributing their efforts and means toward the
development of the town. The Hector Creamery
and Cheese Company was organized in 1891 and first
creamery in the county was thus started.
Churches, school building and a Knights of Pythias
lodge hall were built through the contributions of
this company. The history and growth of the
company will be taken up in another chapter.
With the exhaustion of the timber, the prosperity of
the town began to wane and at the present time this
once flourishing town and commercial center is
nothing more than a railroad stop.
was the first town laid out in the township.
It was laid out by Amos Kendall in 1837 and
the first store was kept by Parlee Carlin.
A double log cabin, which was featured by Howe as a
"Home in the Wilderness," was erected by
Sebastian Shroufe, and P. B. Holden later
kept a tavern in the same building. While
Franconia was a flourishing little center of trade
for a number of years, it has long since disappeared
and nothing now remains of what was once hoped would
be a substantial town. Other towns in
this township include Cloverdale (Drucilla), Dupont,
Cascade and Huntstown.
for many years the largest town in the township.
It was platted in 1877 and named in honor of Rear
Admiral S. F. Dupont, of the United States navy,
a postoffice of that name having been established in
the year 1864. The mail route at that time ran
from Ottawa to Charloe, twenty-six miles, and was
traveled once a week.
In 1877 the Toledo, Delphos & Indianapolis narrow gauge
railroad was built through the village; in 1888 the
entire route was changed to a standard gauge and
known as the Toledo, St. Louis & Kansas City
Dupont was incorporated in 1888 and E. W. Dimock
was chosen to serve as the first mayor. This
village began to grow and its prosperity seemed
assured, but occasionally the healthiest child fails
to become the strongest man. In the height of
the town's prosperity there were two stave-mills
which did an extensive business, two hotels,
tile-mill and saw mills, an axe-handle factory, and
five general merchandise stores. The
population of the town was about seven hundred.
Then came the decline.
The first blow which Dupont had to endure was the
failure of the timber and, in consequence, the
removal of the stave factories, her chief industry.
The second blow came with the building of the Nickel
Plate railroad across the Clover Leaf at
Continental, and the final step was the construction
of the Findlay, Ft. Wayne & Western through
Cloverdale, just two and one-half miles south of the
The present population is about three hundred. A
tile factory, a general store, grocery and hardware
store represent her business interests. The
school facilities are very good. The present
officials are: Clerk, T. R. Hart;
treasurer, W. T. Etter; marshal, Allen
Williams; councilmen, C. C. Etter, George
Etter, Thomas McClish, Sol. Wollam, R. C. Brandt
and William Spencer.
lies on the west bank of the Auglaize river and on
the Findlay. Ft. Wayne & Western railroad, a
branch of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton
railroad. It was platted in 1892 by E. W.
Dimmick, for Charles Andrews.
Myers' mill, the first in the county, was
located here, and its owner, Samuel Myers,
was one of the most prominent citizens of the
village for many years. In fact, the place was
locally known as Myers' Mill for many years
and even to this day it is probably as well known by
this name as that of Cascade. At the present
time nothing is left but the remains of the old
mill, and it ground its last grist many years ago.
The site of the former village is picturesque and
thousands of people make it a picnic ground every
is situated at teh junction of the two railroads
crossing the township and dates its existence from
1891. It was surveyed and platted by E. W.
Dimmick for W. H. and E. M. Mozier, Tunis
and Nora Truax and Austin and Mary
Combs, the proprietors. The first
postoffice was called Drucilla. Although there
had been a town here since the construction of the
Cloverleaf railroad in 1877, which was known as
Evansville, it was never platted, and when the new
town was platted the name Cloverdale was given and
the former name gradually disappeared. It was
incorporated on Apr. 11, 1902.
The first officers were T. J. Ludwig, clerk;
Anthony Holguve, treasurer; Peter Harris,
marshal; William Struker, J. A. L. Harris, John
Heitzman and Austin Combs, trustees;
Austin Combs was the first squire and William
Corkwell the first constable.
Settlers who located here as early as 1877 were,
Pope Burbage, who ran the first saloon;
George Price, who kept the first store;
Hollis Hanson, who ran the first saw-mill;
Nathan Dalton, who had the first wagon and paint
shop, and Austin Combs, the first postmaster.
The first house was built by Irvin Follis and
the hotel by Joseph Gingrich. In 1871
the Findlay, Ft. Wayne & Western railroad was built
through the town and it began a steady growth.
The tile factory, saw and hub-mill, lumber yards,
elevator and other smaller industries located here
in close succession. A town hall was erected
in 1913, at a cost of three thousand dollars, and
the place at present has a population of three
Two churches, grade and parochial schools, and the
present general prosperous air of the town give
evidence of the thrift and business ability of its
settlers. It bids fair to become a thriving
little village. The town officers are as
follows: Mayor, P. A. Scharf; clerk,
O. B. Andrews; treasurer, L. B. Mason;
marshal, Edward Lehmkuhle; councilmen,
John Blosser, John Berhude, Theo. Horstman,
R. E. Baxter, Ben Andrews, and Fred Kohl.
settlements in Pleasant township were made in 1832
by William Turner, Eckless Ney, McDonald Osborn,
Osborn, Henry Morris, James Porter and
William McComb. Late in November of the
following year John Featheringill came in
with his family. Mr. Featheringill
secured lodging in an Indian camp until he could hew
logs and erect a cabin. John Bogart
purchased a farm in the following year and moved on
it in March. Adam and James Turner
were the next to cast in their lot in the early
In 1834 the township took on a permanent organization.
There were at this time only seven voters in the
township and it was through their efforts that the
organization was accomplished. Following are
the names of the voters: John B. Bogart,
William and Adam Turner, Neham Smith, John
Feathergill, Abe Fuller and William Casebolt.
There is no record of the first officers, but it is
certain that they were divided among these early
voters, though just what offices each held can not
be ascertained. In 1839 the township contained
about one hundred in habitants and fifteen to twenty
The public road leading from Wapakoneta to Perrysburg,
was laid out about 1835, but was not opened for
public use until some time later. The first
births in the township were twins, Martha and
Rebecca, daughters of William Turner,
in 1833. The first death was an infant child
of McDonald Osborn, which died in December,
1833, and was the first burial in the graveyard at
The first log school house was erected in 1836, about
half a mile northeast of Columbus grove, and here
John Wamsley conducted the first school in the
winter of 1836-37. The postoffice was
established in 1844, with Adam Turner as the
The first manufacturing interests established here was
an ashery and a clay pottery factory, by a Mr.
Durfee. A store of supplies was later
opened by Sheldon Guthrie. The trade
consisted of exchanging furs for goods, as money was
very scarce. A good hunting hound was valued
at one hundred dollars and the government purchased
wolf scalps for three and four dollars, this
furnishing the settlers with money to pay their
The first religious services were held in a log cabin
belonging to John Bogart, in 1834. The
first sermon was rendered by a young man named
Cutler, of the Methodist Episcopal faith.
In the same year Rev. Mr. Morris, of the
Protestant Methodist church, came to this township
and held services. Later, Michael Long,
who was known as the boy preacher, of the United
Brethren church, came to this settlement. In
1836 a Rev. Poge (or Page), of the
Presbyterian faith came to this township and
organized the first church of that order here.
The Baptists held services at the home of James
Turner at an early date.
The present township officials are as follow:
Justices of the peace, A. Crawford, L. E. Mullin
and Henry Buck; trustees, B. F. Irwin, G.
W. Bowess and William Trask; clerk, F.
M. Williams; treasurer, Elias Williams;
constables, H. L. Irwin and G. W. Luce.
[PICTURE OF COLUMBUS
GROVE IN 1851]
[PICTURE OF COLUMBUS
GROVE IN 1914]
of Columbus Grove was laid out and platted in
December, 1842, by Capt Frederick Fruchey,
the proprietor. It was surveyed and platted
for the proprietor by Benjamin Dunning.
Captain Fruchey and most of the early settlers
came from Columbus, Franklin county, and the site of
this town being a famous Indian sugar grove, hence
The first house built in Columbus Grove was a log
dwelling, erected by John Mumea on the lot
where the Lenhart block now stands. The
first frame dwelling was built by Samuel Sterlin
who also erected the first brick structure in the
village. The first manufacturing establishment
was an ashery and pottery, built and operated by the
Durfey brothers. They manufactured
black salts and pearl ash, and, in the pottery,
crocks, jugs and other earthen wares. In 1843
Sheldon Guthrie erected a small building on a
lot near the Durfeys' establishment and
opened a small supply store, exchanging goods for
furs, there being but little money in this new
country. Columbus Grove was
incorporated in 1864 by John J. Baker and
others. The first officers were David Jones,
mayor; S. B. McHenry, clerk. The first
tavern was built by James Pier. This
was a hewed-log structure, three rooms on the ground
floor and two on the second. Among the
business men of the town in 1850, in addition to the
ones previously mentioned were: Leeman
Woodruff, J. B. Jones, Evan R. Davis and E.
Theodore Kunneke came to this village in 1853.
He built a saw-mill for Jonathan Brice, and
later a mill to grind corn and buckwheat was added.
After finishing this contract, Mr. Kunneke
purchased two corner lots at the junction of High
and Sycamore streets, upon each of which he erected
a two-story frame building for business and
dwelling. The Kunneke block now stands
on one of these lots. A. H. Day came to
this village in 1860 and opened up a store. He
has contributed as much in the way of substantial
buildings as any of its citizens. The New
Grove House and the Opera House block were erected
by him. Other settlers who followed a short
time later and have been large contributors to the
material side of the town are: Simon Maple,
David Jones, W. W. Williams, Thomas Jones, Robert
and J. M. G. Patterson.
The Dayton & Michigan railroad was built through
this town in 1859 and ran the first train on July 12
of that year. In 1882 the Pittsburg, Akron &
Western was constructed, and in 1895 the Lima
Northern was built. The growth of this village
is not surprising with its excellent railroad
facilities and the enterprising business men at its
The officers of Columbus Grove are as follows:
Mayor, W. G. Poast; clerk, Curtis Magher;
treasurer, Jay Hartman; marshal, G. J.
Doty; councilmen, Benton Martz, W. M.
Crawford, R. C. Deffenbaugh, C. M. Doty,
Lemuel Bogart, Bert Holmes; trustees of public
affairs, J. H. Eversole, Henry Light, H. R. Day.
The following is a list of the business and
professional interests of Columbus Grove:
Industries - The Jones handle factory, Columbus
Grove Tile Company, Light Lumber Company, Sarber
cement block and tile factory, Kissels
Poultry and Ice Company, Faze coal yards and
cement block factory, McAdams Seed Company,
People's Elevator, Jones harness factory,
Losh laundry, Williams monument factory,
Johnson's Poultry Company, Buckeye garage,
Stores - H. R. Day, dry goods and groceries;
Home Industry, dry goods and groceries; Louis
Mapel, clothing; C. E. Magher, grocery;
A. K. Sarber, grocery; J. B. Ehrnman,
grocery; R. P. Hartman, Grocery;
Billingsley & Son, grocery; Bert Holmes,
druggist; S. E. Lewis, druggist; Humphrey
& Sterling, undertaking; Elmer E. Morris,
jeweler and optician; Luce & Shinnaberry,
meats and groceries; Jones & Kidd, shoes;
Stan Sakemiller, shoes; A. A. Starkwether,
implements; Martz & Jones, implements; M.
C. Sterling, clothing; Stephens & Kraus,
harness and repairing; Lena Smith, millinery;
Frost & Gladfelter, meat; Williams
Brothers, hardware; W. E. Pease,
hardware; Levi Basinger, notion store; H.
H. Hollis, pianos; Daniel book store;
Daniel Slusser, feed store.
Other Business - R. P. Killen, dentist; A. B.
Hilty, dentist; Wittenburg Hotel;
L. E. Bogart, restaurant; Haller,
restaurant; Charles Murhab, fruit and ice
cream; Trice, livery; Bowman, livery;
Norris, barber shop; Strow & Cox,
barber shop; Wilbur Saunders, barber shop;
George Buck, barber shop; Trask, barber
shop; C. M. Doty, billiard and pool; Port
Tegarden, billiard and pool; Smith & Tate,
sale and feed barn; Eversole, smith and
repairing; John Davis, horseshoeing.
Banks - Peoples and Exchange.
Doctors - E. A. Balmer, Walter C. Corns, H. H. Sink,
G. H. Wilcox, W. H. Begg, Isaac Fullerton.
Columbus Grove, being situated in a very rich
agricultural community and with excellent railway
facilities, is able to bear the reputation of being
one of the largest shipping centers of live stock in
the state. The annual shipments of live stock
are, normally, three hundred and twenty-five cars;
grain, hay and straw, four hundred and fifty cars;
sugar beets, two hundred cars; other shipments,
including eggs, dressed poultry, wool, handles,
etc., sixty-eight cars.
organization of Riley township dates from 1834 and
at that time included the present township of
Richland (Allen county), in addition to its present
area. The first settler, Thomas Gray
(1832), was followed the next year by John
Sigafoose, Adam Stout, Moses Rice, Bildad
Hubbard and B. F. Dunning. The year
1834 brought in a large number of families,
including those of George Bushong, Thomas Lake,
James Bunn, J. D. Wamsley, William Hand, John Hand,
Jacob Clover, George Farnum, Myron Rice, Isaiah
Cook, N. H. Bagley, Peter Rice, William Thrapp,
George Blackburn, George Alkire, Stephen
Cortright and George Wilson. Jesse Hall
and a few others located in the township in the
following year. All of these early settlers
were known as Yankees and were sturdy pioneers, well
fitted to cope with the dangers and privations of
frontier life such as faced them when they settled
Before 1835, however, the German migration to this
township began. These settlers were natives of
Switzerland, although of German descent.
Daniel Nicewander and Dorse Amstutz
settled here in 1833 and were followed in the
succeeding year by Christian Suter, Christian
Basinger and Christian Bucher. Bucher
lived to be one hundred years and seven months of
age, dying in 1879. The wife of Bucher
died in 1835, hers being the first death in the
German settlement. In 1835 came Christian
and John Shoemaker. John and Ulric Basinger,
John Musser and Christian Steiner. The
year 1846 brought in John Diller, Christian
Armstutz, Christian Lugabill, John Geiger, John
Lugabill and David Stauffer. The German
settlement kept growing from year to year and was
soon one of the most prosperous sections of the
county. These were all Mennonites and as soon
as they settled they made provisions for religious
services. At first they held services in the
homes of the settlers, but by 1840 they had a
substantial services in the homes of the settlers,
but by 1840 they had a substantial hewed-log church.
Christian Steiner was the first pastor.
The first election in Riley Township was held in April,
1834, at the home of Thomas Gray, and
at that time the following officers were elected;
Thomas Gray, Joseph DeFord and John Stout,
trustees; William Hand, clerk; Bildad
Hubbard, supervisor; Thomas Gray,
justice of the peace; George Farnum,
constable. These appear to have been only
temporary officers; at least, another election was
held in April of the following year, at which the
following corps of officials were selected:
John Stout, Moses Rice and George Wilson,
trustees; N. H. Bagley, clerk; Bildad
Hubbard, supervisor; J. D. Wamsley,
justice of the peace; George Farnum,
constable. The township retained its original
area until 1847, when the southern tier of seven
sections was detached and added to Allen county,
leaving the township with thirty square miles.
The first road through the township was what was known
as the Williamstown road, and this was followed
shortly afterward by the Findlay-Van Wert road.
William J. Wilson was the first pedagogue and
taught his first school in the winter of 1836-37.
Another school house was built the same year, but
history has not preserved the name of its first
The present officers of Riley township are as follows:
Justices of the peace, M. E. Krohn and
Daniel Schumacher; trustees, P. P.
Schumacher, W. M. Risser and C. R. Van Meter;
clerk, P. A. Amstutz; treasurer, S.
P. Krohn; constables, Edward Basinger and
J. H. Culp.
Stout laid out the town of Columbia, Dec. 1,
1836. The previous year he had built a
grist-mill on Riley creek, one of the first
gristmills of the county, which was a great
convenience for the early settlers. This town
was situated upon the Ridge road, leading from
Findlay to Kalida and Delphos, and about half way
between the county seats of Hancock and Putnam
counties. For many years it was the stopping
place of the lawyers and judges, while "traveling
the circuit" in the early days before 1851.
The tavern was kept by Henery Kilheffer and
travelers on their way form Findlay to Kalida spent
the night here. Many stories are still told of
the jolly times that were had at the old tavern.
Later, the name was changed to Pendleton, and in 1850
the first addition was laid out by Brice W. Viers.
Henry Kilheffer owned the only store at this
time and in 1852 he laid out East Pendleton, which
was surveyed by Henry Blosser, county
surveyor. It ears the distinction of being the
only town that was ever platted in Riley township.
In 1882 the narrow gauge railroad, which has since
become a standard gauge road and known as the
Pittsburg, Akron & Western railroad, was proposed
and constructed through the town. The same
year Kiene and Suter laid out their
addition to the town. The name of the town was
again changed, this time to Pandora, and evidently
the "third time charm" worked, for it has
retained that name to the present time.
Additions were laid out in 1891, by H. M. Day;
1893, by R. N. McAdams; the same year S.
P. Krohn laid out his addition and the following
year H. M. Day laid out a second addition.
It was surveyed by an order from the court, Apr. 24,
1892 and incorporated on Nov. 5th of the same year.
Situated as it was, in the center of one of the
best-improved sections of the county, surrounded
with rich farm land and magnificent buildings which
can hardly be surpassed in any locality of the
state, it took a slow deep-rooted growth, which
began to show a few years later. The farms
were settled principally by sturdy Mennonites, whose
faith forbids quarreling and litigation.
The overall factory has been one of the greatest agents
in making Pandora what it is at present. The
history of this factory will appear in another
paragraph. The population in 1910 numbered
five hundred and sixty-two. It has paved
streets, a modern high school, bank, and stores that
rival any in the county. The Ohio & Northern
railroad gives the people accommodations east and
west. The Pandora Milling Company does
quite an extensive business in this locality.
The lumber and planing mills also employ a number of
men and carry on a large business in their line.
The present town officials are: Mayor, P.
A. Amstutz; clerk, Grover Davidson;
treasurer, A. S. Hilty; marshal, John Culp;
councilmen, Samuel Haas, P. D. Amstutz, C.
C. Hilty, John Gerber, J. A. Suter, Adam Bixler.
PANDORA MANUFACTURING COMPANY.
Manufacturing Company, which was formerly called the
Pandora Overall Company, was organized in August,
1901, by the following men, who were not only the
founders, but the first officers and directors:
John M. Amstutz, president; John Gerber,
vice-president; Jacob A. Suter, secretary and
treasurer; Albert A. Burry, Carl Gerber.
It was capitalized at ten thousand dollars.
Five thousand six hundred dollars of the stock was
retained by the founders and the rest was sold to
outsiders. In the fall of same year the plant
was started, with six sewing machines. The
minutes of the directors give the first purchase of
raw material in October. The first overalls
were made in a part of an old woolen mill, where the
first six machines were installed.
The success of the business seemed assured from the
start and in 1902 the capital stock was increased to
twenty-five thousand dollars. A part of this
stock was offered for sale to outsiders. In
September of this year W. E. Caldwell, of
Cincinnati, purchased stock in the company and
became its secretary and manager. At this same
time four more directors were added, and it is
interesting to note that one of these men was
Elias Welty, the present manager. The
woolen mill burned in September, 1902, before the
new stock was offered for sale. This incurred
a loss, as the factory was only partly insured.
Work on a new building was immediately begun, which is
part of the present structure. Owing to an
increase of business, electric cutters were
installed in 1903. Mr. Caldwell served
as manager until 1905, when he was succeeded by
John De Haan, who was formerly manager of the
Singer Sewing Machine Company. In 1905 an
addition was built, doubling the capacity of the
factory. In the same year a number of Toledo
men became interested in the company and purchased a
controlling interest, the capital stock being
increased to fifty thousand dollars. In 1906 a
similar plant was started at Toledo and the main
offices moved to that place, but this move proved a
failure and the plant was discontinued in 1908.
The following year Mr. De Haan resigned as
manager and Elias Welty, who has been
mentioned previously as a stockholder and director,
became manager and secretary. To say that
Mr. Welty was competent to fill the position
would be speaking modestly, as he had been connected
with the factory for eight years and served in every
capacity and department from engineer up. In
1919 A. J. Welty became interested and
purchased the Toledo stock, thus bringing the
control back to the Pandora Community.
From this time forward the success of the factory was
assured and in the year 1912 more business was done
than in any two previous years and more salesmen
were added. Orders were coming in so fast that
it was impossible to fill them . It was deemed
advisable to add another factory, which was located
at Celina, Ohio. A shirt factory was also added at
Zanesville, Ohio, owing to a demand for this
commodity. These factories were merely taken
over by this company and placed under their
In 1913 the capital stock was again increased, this
time to one hundred thousand dollars. The
following year the output was two hundred thousand
dollars. In 1915 the name was changed, due to
the fact that it was not an overall factory alone,
but a manufacturing plant. The present
directors and officers are: P. B. Hilty,
president; J. A. Suter, vice-president; A.
J. Welty, secretary; Elias Welty,
manager; W. B. Jackson, manager of the Celina
plant; A. G. Bruhl, manager of the Zanesville
plant; David Lichty, Cleo Neunschwander,
A. P. Sandles, B. A. Unverferth and John De
This is the largest manufacturing plant in Putnam
county and the present output amounts to a quarter
of a million dollars a year. The stock is
always in demand and the company has done a great
service to the county in furnishing employment for
so many men and women. The laborers are all
paid by piece work and the management is so liberal
in its wages that good salaries can be made by
skilled and even competent labor, and no hardship is
worked upon its employees.
SUGAR CREEK TOWNSHIP
VAN BUREN TOWNSHIP
was laid out and platted by James E.
Creighton, on Jan. 26, 1857. The first
ground platted into lots in the corporate limits of
the present town was that lying east of the
Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad, and both
north and south of the Nickel Plate. This
village first bore the name of Creighton, in honor
of its founder, but it was incorporated under the
name of Leipsic. On Aug. 29, 1859, Joseph
Swartz laid out a plat of land east of the
Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton and called it Leipsic
station. The following year Mr. Swartz
laid out an addition to the same plat, these two
plats being recorded under the name of Leipsic.
The growth of this village began in the year 1859, when
the first train run over the Dayton & Michigan
railroad. The first train passing over this
railroad signaled the denizens of an almost
impenetrable forest. By the construction of
this railroad, the outlet for the timber and other
products of this country was assured, and settlers
began to arrive, thus opening up one of the greatest
sections in the state. The growth of this
section is a marvel of progress and productiveness.
One of the potent factors in the prosperity of this
section and the impetus which stirred early settlers
was the Buckeye Stave Company and too much praise
cannot be given this company for their excellent
work in making Leipsic one of the foremost towns of
The early settlers in this village were J. B.
Swartz, Wellington Hurd, David McClung, C. W. Askam
and wife and Al Tingle. In 1860 S.
and W. P. Young and D. G. Leffler settled
here. The following year Mrs. John Foltz,
G. D. Foltz, Jacob Werner and Absalom Foulk
risked their fortunes with the progress of the new
town. In 1863 A. F. Eastom and wife, T. J. Werner,
Samuel Waters and
wife, and in 1865 J. H. Askam, Andrew C. Askam
and F. Leffler, completing the list of early
settlers and pioneer residents. These men of
brawn and courage had placed on the map of the
country a thriving little village with the strength
to combat in the field of commerce.
Chief among the early industries which operated in
Leipsic are: The Buckeye Stave Company; the
Leipsic flouring-mill, which was erected in the year
1872 by W. C. Miller; the Leipsic
planing-mill, which was owned and operated by Messrs. O. E. Townsend and
and the following companies: Leipsic machine
works, A. F. Eastom & son, the Leipsic brick
yard, tile yard, creamery, and two good elevators.
The churches and schools of this village are ranked
with the best and have been discussed to a fuller
degree in another chapter.
This town has been visited by quite a few disastrous
fires, but the citizens were undaunted by these
reversals of fortune and immediately set to work
replacing them with bettter and larger
structures. The town stands as a monument to
its owns prosperity and growth.
The different enterprises at present are: The
Leffler Hotel, which was erected at a cost of
fifteen thousand dollars and is an emblem of
architectural progress and a monument to his memory;
the Bank of Leipsic, the Temco Company, R. T. Terry,
tile manufacturer, and many other industries.
The stores cater to all the wants of the citizens of
the town and also to the country trade.
The present officials are: Mayor,
E. V. Burns;
clerk, C. J. Erickson; treasurer, Earl
Andrews; marshal, Charles McKeen;
councilmen, W. T. Starling, W. D. Hickey, Dallas
Kirk, J. B. Weber, L. D. Wendle, Joseph Faber;
trustees of public affairs, W. A. Bell, J. A.
Persons, C. W. Fogle.
- THE TEMCO ELECTRIC MOTOR COMPANY
Electric Motor Company, an Ohio corporation, with
its main factory and office at Leipsic, was
organized and chartered in the fall of 1911.
The Temco Company was successor to the American
Foundry Company, which had been doing a general
foundry business up to that time.
The name, Temco, is derived from the first letters of
the name "The Electric Motor Company." This
company was organized for the purpose of
manufacturing electric portable tools and small
motors. The line originally consisted of
electric portable drills, grinders, buffers,
polishers and small fractional-horse-power motors.
Later, automobile accessories, such as shock
absorbers, electric generators, ignitors and
starters, where added to
the original line of general
machinery. The Temco Company has the
distinction of building the first and original shock
absorber for the Ford cars.
In the beginning, the equipment consisted of six or
eight machines, which furnished employment to a
similar number of men. It covered about
twenty-five hundred feet of floor space, all on the
ground floor. With the rapid increase in the
business, as their products became known, more
machinery and greater floor space were added, and
the pay-roll was increased, also. At present
it covers about thirty-two thousand square feet of
floor space, in a two- and three-story brick plant,
using electric motors aggregating about two thousand
and fifty horse power and furnishing employment for
one hundred and fifty to two hundred men and women.
The power and light for the factory are furnished by
electricity, each machine having an individual
motor, with silent chain drive. No overhead
line-shaft is used by any part of the plant.
Every requirement of the state is adhered to in
reducing the possibility of accidents to a minimum.
The plant is steam-heated throughout, from its own
boiler, placed in the plant for that purpose alone.
Wash-rooms and coat-rooms are provided on the first
and second floors. The plant has had a steady
growth from the beginning, and, judging from the
success which the sale of its products has met with,
the Temco Electric Motor Company will soon be
numbered among the leading manufacturing plants of
northwestern Ohio. Their products are shipped
to every part of the globe, the principal importing
countries for their goods being South America,
England, France, Australia, Russia, Asia and Africa.
BUCKEYE STAVE COMPANY.
Stave Company was one of the potent factors in the
advancement of Leipsic in a material way. This
company has grown from a humble beginning in Leipsic
to an enormous business, which tends from northern
Michigan to the Gulf states and west to the Pacific
coast states, and gives employment to a large force
This company was organized in 1886, with the following
stockholders: John Edwards, W. W. Edwards, I. N.
Bushong, J. S. Lenhart and D. L. Critten,
all of whom were residents of Leipsic. At the
time of its organization the company controlled
twelve factories, located at Leipsic, Columbus Grove
and Continental, and employed one hundred men.
In 1887 this company purchased the Bank of Leipsic and
in 1890 they placed a stave factory in Pleasant
Bend; in 1891 they built a factory at Kalida and
also at Avis; in 1892 the Elm Center stave factory
was purchased and placed under their control, and
the same year a factory was located at Mancelona,
Michigan, but this was removed to Gladstone,
Michigan, in 1894. The Continental Bank was
organized in 1891, and at present has
responsibilities amounting to one million dollars.
The growth of this company has been very rapid, and in
1895, after only nine years' time, they employed one
thousand men, with a yearly payroll of one hundred
and seventy-five thousand dollars and a paid-up
capital stock of five hundred and thirty thousand
dollars and a paid up capital stock of five hundred
and thirty thousand dollars. Their holdings
include extensive timber and farm lands in this and
other states, and the growth of the business has far
exceeded the hopes of the promoters. In 1888
the interests of Lenhart were purchased, and in 1893
Joseph H. Edwards purchased a one-fourth
interest. The company has grown to be the
largest of its kind in the world. It has
always been liberal to its employees and fair in its
dealings, and has contributed liberally to public
and private improvement and all works for the
betterment of the community. The company owns
a large amount of farm land at the present time,
which it has improved and placed under cultivation,
after removing the timber. This company stands
today with its many business enterprises in the full
confidence of the business world.
of Spitzer, located on the Nickel Plate railroad,
four miles east of Leipsic, was platted by Aaron
Overbech, county surveyor, in 1886. The
town was laid out for Howard C. Tinkham, but
was named in honor of the Spitzer Brothers,
of Toledo, Ohio, who were largely interested in
lands adjoining the village. Owing to the fact
that there was another town of the same name in
Ohio, it was changed to Townwood.
the name given to a little town located on the
Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad, but was
never platted and at present is only a railroad
The present officials of Van Buren township are:
Justices of the peace, Jacob Leffler, T. J.
Huffman, J. E. Fisher and Nimrod Speaker;
trustee4s. James Robinson, E. B. Limmonds and
H. H. Montooth; clerk, Thomas J. Shuly;
treasurer, E. C. Kuntz; Joseph Butler and
END OF CHAPTER VI.