BISSMAN BLOCK was constructed in 1866,
and is a high Victorian Gothic architectural style.
The architect listed is The
Hancock & Dow Company. This is the same
architectural firm that designed and built the Mansfield
Ohio Reformatory that same year. The Bissman
& Company moved from its original site where the
carrousel stands currently. The property was listed as
the Bissman Block in the city registry because
it took up the entire city block. It is now commonly
called the "The Dead Soul Studio" by many however there is
no known reason. It is a 50,000 square foot five story
block building funded by Peter Bissman.
The main business is listed as a wholesale grocery supply &
warehouse. In the 1930's the company produced coffee
and roasted peanuts under the labels of "Red Ban Java
Blend", "Steel Cut", and "Acme" brands. The roasted
peanuts were also labeled and sold under various brand names
and were prepared only at night. According to Henry
Howe Encyclopedia of the State Volume II, the Bissman
& Company produced coffee and spices and in
1888 had only 16 employees. The only employee listed
by name was a shipping clerk Frank C. Hosler.
The building is on N. Main Street, Mansfield, Ohio.