|THIS was one of the original townships of Ross
county, and prior to the organization of Pickaway county included all
the Indian towns on Scippo and Congo creeks. The township had a
nominal existence under the territorial government, but its boundaries
were not clearly defined. In April, 1803, the new State
legislature passed an act authorizing the associate judges of the
different counties to meet on the second Tuesday of May (10th), 1803,
and establish the boundaries of the townships in their respective
counties. Under authority of this law, Reuben Abrams,
William Patton, and Felix Renick, associates justices of Ross county,
established the first definite boundaries of Green township; but these
have since been materially changed, and the territory reduced in
extent, by the organization of other townships. The original
boundaries were as follows: "Beginning on the Scioto, at the
southwest corner of Pickaway township; thence east with the southern
boundary of Pickaway township and Fairfield county, to the eastern
boundary of Ross county; thence south with the same to the southeast
corner of section number twelve, in township number ten, of range
number eighteen; thence west to the northeast corner of section number
fourteen, in township number eight, of range twenty-one; thence south
two miles, to the southeast corner of section number twenty-three, in
the township last mentioned; thence west to the Scioto river; thence
with the same, to the beginning." The judges ordered an election
to be held at the house of John Crouse on the 21st of June, 1803, for
the election of three justices of the peace who should each serve for
three years. The earliest records procurable show the election
of John Ramsey, as justice, on April 11, 1809; Isaac Claypool, April
15, 1810, and George Ramsey on April 6, 1812. On June 25, 1805,
a two mile strip across the northern boundary of Green township was
set into Pickaway township. The establishment of Colerain
township in 1804, narrowed the limits in that direction, and a little
later Springfield township was established on the south, thus fixing
the boundaries as at present.
of the township is gently undulating in the northern and central parts
and somewhat broken and hilly in the southeastern section. The
soil is very fertile black loam in the level districts on the bottoms
and streams, and a rich clay soil with gravel subsoil on the hillsides
and elevated portions. There is comparatively little waste land
in the township, and the condition of the farms, buildings and
surroundings are indicative of thrift and prosperity. The
streams which drain the township are the Kinnickinnick and its
tributaries, with numerous hillside runs which empty into them,
the Blackwater creek in the northwestern part of the township.
The Scioto forms the western boundary.
Green township was mainly covered with
heavy timber, through there was, originally, considerable marshy land
upon which there was only shrubs and brush. But the wet lands
have been recovered by ditching and under-tiling, until they are very
valuable and highly productive. It is said that this boggy land
originally seemed like earth floating on water, and that in the early
days, a pole could be forced into it to the depth of twenty feet.
The principal varieties of timber were
black walnut, sugar maple, black locust, chestnut, elm, ash, oak,
beech, hickory, and honey-locust. Some of the choicest timber
was used for buildings, making rails, and sawing into lumber, but much
of it which would not be very valuable was burned in clearing the
Among the first to establish a home in the
original bounds of Green township were the Boggs family.
Major John Boggs, the first, was born in Pennsylvania in 1738, married
Jane Irwin and lived on the frontier, near Wheeling, W. Va.; came to Ohio
and located in Green township. He died in 1828. His son, Major
John Boggs, the second, was born near Wheeling, in 1775; came to
Ohio with his father, married Sarah McMechan in 1800, and reared eight
children. His wife died in 1855, and he followed her in 1862.
One of his brothers was captured by Indians; another was killed by
them near Cambridge, Ohio. The senior John Boggs in 1788,
according to his monument, or in 1798 according to the "Pioneer
Record," erected his cabin near the historic elm tree where Lord
Dunmore treated with the Indians in 1774, and on the identical spot
where the Boggs monument now stands, having selected his lands at the
foot of the Pickaway plains. John Boggs, Jr., among the first to
volunteer his services in the war of 1812, enlisted as a private in Col.
James Denny's regiment, on the 20th of April of that year.
Though a major of militia for some years previous to this, he ignored
military title, but subsequently won promotion through valiant
service. Duncan McArthur, a major-general of militia, also
asserted his determination to enlist and carry a firelock in the
ranks, if there was no other place for him. But he subsequently
became lieutenant-colonel of the regiment. Major Boggs
was in Hull's surrender and returned home from Detroit. He was
an active and useful man in the community, whose energy and good
judgment did much towards establishing commercial intercourse with the
outside world. As early as 1803, he demonstrated the possibility
of conveying the surplus products of the Scioto valley to the cities
of the south, by taking a flat-boat loaded with flour to New Orleans.
His farm, which is located wholly within what is now Pickaway county,
was entered in 1796, and around it centers much of the early Indian
history. The aboriginal towns of Squaw Town, Cornstalk Town and
Black Mount were located on it, as well as the famous Logan Elm.
The territory is dotted with many Indian mounds, or relics of the
Mound Builders. On the death of Major Boggs, his
farm descended to his son John, who took special interest in the
preservation of these old relics; and, for the protection of the old
elm, erected a circular fence around it, which also incluses the
Boggs monument, which was erected there at the expense of the
Boggs family. A bronze plate, typifying a historical
event which occurred on the farm, was wholly the work of John's
benevolence and reverential interest. This is a landscape scene,
in bas relief, illustrative of the cunning trick of the
Indians, in which they threw down the rail fence surrounding the
Boggs wheatfield, evidently hoping to kill or capture some of the
members of the family when they came out in the morning to drive the
stock out of the field. William Boggs was
delegated to perform this duty, no one having any suspicion that it
was an Indian trick. The plate shows him running across the
field to escape from the Indians, his father standing at the house was
his gun leveled at the red-skins, who are in pursuit of William.
(He was captured and a prisoner for some time.) It is stated
that this plate cost $2,800. It is inserted in the Boggs
monument, the dimensions being two feet six inches by fourteen inches.
Numerous families in Ross county, as well as elsewhere throughout the
State, trace their genealogy to Maj. John Boggs.
His descendants are prominent and highly cultured people, who have
long been identified with the social, political and business affairs
of the county.
McCoy came from Pennsylvania to
Green township about 1795. Soon after his arrival, he built the
first mill, which was located on Kinnickinnick creek, in section ten.
This he sold to John Crouse, who established a large and
lucrative business in milling. On disposing of his mill, Mr.
McCoy moved to the site of the old Mount Pleasant church, a
mile west of Kingston, where he improved a farm, and assisted in
organizing the first church in the township. He died on this
farm in 1823. Of this family of eight children, all have died or
have removed from the township, and the children, all have died or
have removed from the township, and the old McCoy homestead has
passed into other hands.
Entrekin came from Adams county,
Pa., in April, 1797. He was a progressive and active business
man, who accumulated considerable property in buying and selling land,
in transferring the products of the mills and farms to the markets,
and in returning goods for the merchants. He married, in 1801,
Nancy Crouse, who inherited a section of land from her
father, this being the south half of sections seven and ten.
They settled on the latter section, and established a home.
During the war of 1812, Mr. Entrekin held the position of
wagon-master, and was employed in conveying army supplies from
Chillicothe to Lower Sandusky. He attained the rank of colonel
of militia, and was active and prominent in politics, serving as
representative in the legislature, and associate judge in the court of
common pleas. Colonel Entrekin died at the age of
sixty-four on May 10, 1842, as the result of a surgical operation
performed at Cincinnati. He left a family of four sons and five
daughters to perpetuate the memory of a most worthy and influential
pioneer of Ross county.
John Crouse was a native of Frederick county,
Md., and settled in Green township in 1798, purchasing the small
flouring-mill built by William McCoy, as previously
intimated. He was prosperous as a miller and, with the addition
of a distillery, increased his business very materially. The
product of the latter was sold at a very large profit during the war
of 1812. A bushel of corn, costing from six to ten cents, would
make four gallons of whiskey, which readily sold at one dollar per
gallon. Mr. Crouse married Miss Umstead, in his
native state, and they became the parents of four sons and four
daughters, the survivors of whom reside, mostly, in Ross county.
He died at Kingston, September 5, 1847, at the age of eighty-eight.
His youngest child, Eliza, married William Ferguson.
Another daughter married Col. John Entrekin,
while others were wedded to other prominent citizens of the county.
John, Jr., succeeded to his father's business, and retained the old
homestead, upon which he died in August, 1856. But see sketch of
Ready family were early settlers of the
township, locating on the east branch of Kinnickinnick creek, where
they entered land, and spent the balance of their lives. The
names of Abraham, Michael, Conrad, John,
Margaret and Sally, are recollected, though there were
others. Some of their descendants still live in the county.
John Goodman and wife, with a family of six
children, came from Berks county, and settled in Green township, in
1799. Three children were born at the new home. They
entered a quarter section on the banks of the Scioto, in section five.
The father built a sawmill on Blackwater creek, which he operated for
a number of years. All the children are dead, but some of their
descendants still reside in the township.
removed from Morris Grove, Va.,
to Green township about 1800. Two or three years later he
married Ruth Crouse, being employed at the mill and distillery
of his father-in-law, John Crouse, up to the time of his
marriage, but subsequently engaged in farming. He owned over
four hundred acres of land about midway between the Scioto and
Kingston, upon which he ended his days. Mr. Whitsel
served a short term of enlistment under Col. John Entrekin,
during the war of 1812.
The Frederick family was also prominent in the
early history of the township. The parents were middle aged
people when they brought a family of four sons and two daughters from
Pennsylvania, and settled in Green township, in 1799. The sons
were named Peter, Daniel, Henry and Solomon. The
father entered a section of land on the Kinnickinnick, about three
miles east of the present railroad station bearing that name.
This farm comprised much rich bottom land, while the upland was
covered with fine walnut and hickory timber. On the death of the
parents, the land was divided among the children, and some of them
spent their lives upon the old farm. Solomon was a
musician in the war of 1812, and never returned from the army.
Peter was a lieutenant of General Hull. He was
afterwards exchanged, and returned to his farm, and later removed to
Kingston, where he died in 1853. Henry was captain of the
company in which Peter was a lieutenant. Their service
was mostly in the fortifications at Detroit, where they were made
prisoners, Henry being severely wounded at the time. He
recovered, returned to the farm, and in his old age, removed to
Illinois, where he died.
James May came from Fredericksburg, Va., about
1798, bringing his family, consisting of wife and six children.
He was a gunsmith by trade, and followed his vocation in his native
state, manufacturing guns and other arms for the patriot army during
the Revolution. He continued this business in Chillicothe until
about 1822, when he located on a farm near Kingston, and died there in
1836, his wife having died in Chillicothe in 1816. His sons were
John, James and Henry. The last named was a
soldier in the war of 1812, being a member of Captaina Brush's
company from Chillicothe. Henry May married in
Chillicothe, and for a number of years kept a tavern on the old stage
road a mile and a half north of the city. About 1822, he bought
a farm just over the line in Pickaway county, and lived for some years
in Kingston, where some of his descendants still live. In the
last named place he was associated in the tannery business with
Bitzer family is another of
those prominently identified with the history of Green township.
William, John, Conrad and Jacob, with several sisters,
located in the township soon after 1800, and established homes
southeast of Kingston. They married there, and raised families,
and some of the descendants still live in the township. Jacob
Bitzer served as a soldier through the war of 1812. He
married Barbara Metzger, by whom he had a family of seven
children. Their old home was located in section twenty-four.
Abraham Miller settled on section twenty-six, in
Green township, in 1803. He came to Ross county with a colony of
twelve, and located near Chillicothe station, in 1800. There he
raised a crop of grain; then returned in the fall of that year to his
old Kentucky home, and brought his family and goods on pack-horses.
His children were Jesse, William, John, James, Abraham, Elizabeth,
Annie and Sarah. Two of these died during the family
residence at Chillicothe station, and the others lived to years of
maturity, inheriting the parental farm in Green township.
Numerous descendants of this family reside in Ross county at the
present time. Abraham Miller, Sr., was an early justice
of the peace in Green township, and prominently identified with social
and political affairs.
Hayes family settled in the northeast corner
of section thirty-four, previous to 1800. The father of this
family, whose christian name is not recalled, lived but a few years
after coming to the township, and his land was divided among his three
sons, James, Andrew and John. The last
named was a colonel in the war of 1812, and died in Kingston,
September 4, 1834. James and Andrew erected a
distillery on the farm, and engaged in the liquor trade for several
years. They finally gave their attention to transporting flour,
pork and other products, to the southern markets, and transferred
their home to the South.
Hugh Little settled in Green township between
1800 and 1802, purchasing eighty acres in section twenty-eight.
in 1817, he sold this, and bought a larger farm in the southeast
corner of the same section, and there ended his days. He was a
native of Maryland, but emigrated from Pennsylvania to Ohio.
Mr. Little died in 1825, leaving four children, two of whom
remained in Green township, viz: Mrs. John Haynes and James
Little, the latter succeeding to the ownership of the old
John Beattie, a native of Ireland, settled in
section eight about the same time the Littles came. He
died there in 1825, after a quarter of a century of hard work in
redeeming the land from its virgin state. Having no children,
his farm passed into other hands. Christopher Leby was a
very early settler in the southwestern corner of the township.
He cleared and improved a farm, which, on his death, passed into the
hands of his descendants, some of whom still own it. This is
also true of the Robert Warren farm located near that of Lehy.
James Downs and his four brothers,
John, William, David and Thomas, and two sisters,
Rebecca and Susanna, came to Ross county soon after 1800.
James lived for a time on the McClain's Hill, hear Chillicothe.
While there, he married Annie Snodgrass, and soon thereafter
bought a farm in the southern part of Green township, on old
Chillicothe road. The land was purchased of Gov. Thomas
Worthington, who had permitted squatters to settle on it, and they
had made some small improvements. The brothers and sisters
married and located, mostly, in Springfield township, where they have
become a numerous family, well and favorably known throughout the
Samuel Little, the Barnhart family, Thomas
Wheeler, and the Pyle family were all early settlers,
Little coming in 1800. They settled on section thirty-five,
where some of them ended their days, and transmitted their property to
their descendants. George Sidenbender established a home
in the southeast corner of section thirty-three, and spent the
remainder of his life there. "Very early" is the nearest date as
to his coming. John and Henry Arno located in the
township about 1810, but sold out and removed to other parts.
Samuel Arrowsmith was an early settler, remaining until 1840, when
he sold out and went west. John Ritter was another early
settler who died on his farm at a ripe old age. His son
Richard succeeded to the farm, and also died there.
John Markel located on fractional
section one, which lies adjacent to the Scioto river, about 1800.
He owned most of the section, upon which he erected a double log
cabin, an improvement largely in advance of his surroundings, and
which occasioned no little comment among those who occupied but a
single room. As prosperity smiled upon him, this cabin was
superseded by a more pretentious residence, and one "wing" of the
double cabin did duty as a school house in later years.
Isaac Brink established a house in the township
about 1800, and remained there during the balance of his life.
His grandson, John Q. Brink, disposed of the old farm in 1868,
and removed to Missouri. George May emigrated from
Pennsylvania to Green township in 1801. He purchased four
hundred acres of land in sections twenty-one and twenty-two, on the
Adelphi pike. His children, on attaining years of maturity,
married and removed from the locality.
Thomas Wright was another early settler of Green
township. He was born in the north of Ireland, and emigrated to
Pennsylvania in 1801, locating near the now historic town of
Gettysburg. In 1808, in company with his bride, whom he married
in Gettysburg, and whose maiden name was Elizabeth Hill, he
came on horseback to Ross county, and lived, for a time, near
Crouse's Mills. Mr. Wright owned several small farms
in the township at different times, but finally bought three hundred
acres in the west half of section four, where he died June 17, 1851.
He was a weaver of linen, and as such his presence in the community in
the early days was greatly appreciated. He was also a great
reader and student, a characteristic which he transmitted to some of
his children, notably his daughter Jane, who had a wonderful
memory, and even in old age could recite with accuracy and great
pleasure poems which she had committed in youth.
Abraham Jones was a native of Hampshire county,
Va., and settled in Green township in 1802. On arrival, he
entered section five, which was then occupied by a squatter who had
made a small improvement, and built a cabin. Mr. Jones
improved five hundred acres of this original farm, and lived upon it
until his death.
James Ritchie came from Pennsylvania
in 1805, and bought section four, upon which he located, and lived for
many years, and died in Kingston. His brothers, George,
William and Matthew, came at the same time with James,
and all located in Green township. William kept a
tavern two miles south of Kingston, and George was in the same
business on the old Chillicothe road, some three miles from Kingston.
Some of the brothers became quite wealthy, and owned extensive
Major Lingrell came in 1805, and located two and
a half miles west of Kingston, near the south line of Pickaway county.
He afterwards moved to Marion county, where he died. His son
Thomas, a young man in 1805, served fifteen months in the war of
1812, participating in the battles of Fort Erie and Black Rock, near
Buffalo. During his lifetime, Thomas made six trips from
the upper Scioto to New Orleans, conveying flour, pork, and grains to
the southern market on flat-boats. He married in 1834, and
settled in Green township, where he lived for many years. For
more than thirty years, he lived in the village of Kingston, and
during his productive life, followed brick-making and building.
He lived to advanced old age.
Matthew Ferguson, a Pennsylvania
soldier of the Revolution, bought land in Paxton township in 1802, and
came with his wife, Ann Chesnut, and eight children, and
settled in Green township near Kingston, in 1806. The family is
one of the most prominent among the pioneers of Ross county.
Harmon DeHaven, who located in Green township in
1805, was one of the most useful of the early settlers, being the
first cabinet maker to follow the calling in the township. He
was a very ingenious mechanic, and just before his death, had perfected
a model fanning mill. But Mr. DeHaven died in 1820,
leaving a wife and six children. The eldest sons, Charles
and Jacob removed to Illinois, and Charles located in Kingston.
He married Jane Black. The mother died in 1863, at the
age of eighty-one. Accompanying the DeHavens in the same
wagon, was the family of Daniel Walters, consisting of six
persons, bringing their all from the far-away Pennsylvania home.
Mr. Walters was a shoemaker, another useful accessory to
the pioneer settlement. He established a home on one hundred
acres of land adjoining the Harmons, and there worked on the
bench, while others of the family improved and tilled the farm.
He sold out and removed his family to the north part of the State.
Jacob Steely was a pioneer resident of the township in 1807,
owning a farm near Kingston, which he afterwards sold, and removed to
Daniel Baum was a resident of the township in
1807; and John and Joseph Stroup came into the township
the same year. Joseph was a bricklayer, and the first one
of that trade to locate in the township. Ezekiel Bunn and
family came as early as 1806, and located a home in the township, but
all have gone. Samuel Wallace located in Green township
in 1818, but he became a resident of the county in 1807, locating
first at Chillicothe, where he married Sarah Ostrangder.
He, in the company with John Wilson, owned and operated a
tanyard in Green township for several years.
Frederick Pontius and family came from Buffalo
valley, Pa., and settled on section eleven about 1806. There he
ended his days. He had twelve children, most of whom married,
raised families and died in Green township. Many descendants of
this pioneer still reside in the township and nearby territory.
Andrew Pontius was another early comer, who settled on Paint
creek, about 1805, and later moved into Green township where he died.
His descendants have all removed from the township.
Isaac Green and wife came from Pennsylvania in
1808, and after several years spent as a tenant of Governor
Worthington, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres in section five,
on the Scioto, and there made a home where he ended his days. A
family of eight children was born to him after locating in the
township, some of whom remained here during life, and others removed
to distant states.
Michael Senff located first in Pickaway county,
removing from there to Chillicothe, where he worked at blacksmithing
for several years. He then settled in Green township, where he
passed the remainder of his life, dying in 1845. The family came
from Pennsylvania in 1808, and has been prominently identified with
the county since. Of fourteen children born to Michael Senff,
ten lived to years of maturity, and six reached an advanced old age.
Numerous descendants of this worthy pioneer still reside in Green and
Springfield townships. John Holman settled at Adelphi
about 1808, where he spent a number of years in the tannery business,
having previously lived a short time in Green township. About
1814 he returned to the Abraham Eyestone farm in Green
township, his wife, who was Christine Eyestone, having
inherited a portion of her parental farm. Holman was
there established in the tannery business by his father-in-law, a
trade which he followed successfully for many years. Abraham
Holman, son of John, succeeded to the business in later
David Umsted came from Frederick county, Md., in
1810, and settled with his wife and three children, in the southwest
part of Green township, where he died about 1840. His widow
survived him until October, 1875, and was nearly ninety-one years of
age at the time of her death. Their children were named Basil,
Rachel and John. The latter died unmarried.
Basil married Julia Hughes, and occupied the parental
homestead until his death, in 1851. They had six children.
Rachel became the wife of George J. Moore, and removed
to her farm in Twin township, in 1833.
Dr. Edward Ostrander came from Troy, New York,
about 1813, and settled on a farm near Mount Pleasant church. He
was the first physician in the township, and continued in active
practice during the remainder of his life. He died at Kingston
in May, 1835.
Jacob Long came to Green township about 1816.
He located near Kingston where he built a still-house which he
operated for several years. Some of his descendants still live
in the community.
Green township enjoys the distinction of being one of
the best agricultural townships in Ross county. Its soil is
specially adapted to diversified farming and fruit growing, in which
pursuits, combined with stock raising, the intelligent and industrious
farmers have met with Phenomenal success. The pleasant homes and
thrifty surroundings are abundant proof of this, while an occasional
handsome mansion, with modern improvements and appliances, affirms the
conclusion that even in this favored land, some have been more
successful than their worthy rivals.
The town of Kingston is the only village in the
township. It enjoys the distinction of being the third town, as
regards population, in Ross county. For a number of years prior
to the establishment of the town, the contiguous territory, and even
the town site, contained a number of settlers. The land upon
which Kingston is located was originally owned by James Ritchie,
who occupied it in 1805. Soon after that date, Thomas Ing
came into possession of a forty acre tract upon which the village of "Ingstown"
was located, and in 1816 the town was regularly laid out and
christened Kingston. Mr. Ing kept the first tavern in the
place, and was also the first tailor in the town. In the days of
stage coaches, Kingston being located on the main thoroughfare between
Lancaster and Chillicothe, a second tavern was established, one for
the special accommodation of the traveling public; and this old stage
house entertained many distinguished guests, among whom were Henry
Clay, Richard M. Johnson, Felix Grundy, John H. Crittenden, Thomas
Marshall and ex-President Santa Anna of Mexico.
President Monroe, and a party accompanying, also put up for dinner
at one of these humble taverns. This being the regular line of
travel from the southwest and west, to the Federal city, many of the
distinguished men of the day passed through Kingston.
George Brown, an Englishman of Pickaway county,
licensed to vend merchandise in Jefferson, Circleville and other
places, bought a lot of Thomas Ing in 1817; put up a little
store building, and obtained a temporary license to sell at Kingston.
Ing got out his license to keep tavern in November, 1817, and
about the same time James McCutcheon, of Pickaway, bought a
lot, and in 1818 he was licensed to trade. In April, 1819,
Matthew Ferguson, who had bought a lot in 1816, got out a license
for his son William and daughter Rachel, as merchants.
Brown maintained his other stores, and probably did not have a
permanent establishment at Kingston until the summer of 1819. In
the fall of that year he sold out his Kingston store to Thomas K.
Duncan and Samuel Logan. William Ferguson
continued in business until 1837.
One of the religious landmarks of the community is
represented by the Presbyterian church now located in the town of
Kingston, but originally established a mile west of the village, in
1798, and known as Mount Pleasant Presbyterian church. The
society was formed in August, 1798, and before corn cutting the
members erected a rough log building, thirty feet square, which they
used as a house of worship, though it was devoid of floor or ceiling.
The sleepers served for seats, and a rude pulpit was formed of split
logs. Fourteen members constituted the organizing force, the
names being as follows: William McCoy and wife; James
Wilson, his son John, and three unmarried daughters;
William Craig and wife; William Blair and wife; Samuel
Denny and wife, and Margaret Denny, wife of David.
Mr. McCoy and Mr. Wilson were constituted the ruling
elders, and Rev. William Spear was engaged as pastor.
One-third of his time was required, and a salary of one hundred
dollars per year was guaranteed him. Thus six families organized
a church, erected a house of worship, and installed a pastor, during
their first six months' residence in the community. From that
day to the present, the organization has been maintained, and at least
four generations of people have communicants around the same alter.
As the years passed, other families of like faith
located in the neighborhood, and added their names and influence to
the church directory. In 1799, John Rollins, John McLene,
Hugh Manary and James Stewart, with their families, joined
the church, as did also Mrs. Isabella Denny, wife of James,
and Mrs. Mary Boggs, the wife of John. Matthew
Ferguson and wife joined in 1806. Rev. James Robinson
became pastor in 1808. Col. John Entrekin located in the
vicinity, in 1798, but did not then connect himself with the church,
though he did later. The old meeting house was never finished,
and the services were transferred, some years later, to a near-by
school house, though the meetings were often held in the grove, or in
The meeting house erected in 1798 was succeeded by the
old Mount Pleasant church, commenced in 1810, and finished in 1814.
This served the congregation until 1829, when they occupied the
Methodist Episcopal church in Kingston, continuing this joint
occupancy until 1838, when they completed a house of their own.
The present Presbyterian church in Kingston was erected in 1860.
From its earliest inception, this congregation began to assume a
position of prominence in the community. Under the pastorate of
Rev. James Robinson, one hundred and thirty-five members were
added previous to the year 1820, when he retired from the pastorate.
The church celebrated its semi-centennial in 1848, with becoming
ceremonies. About that time, and as a result of that effort, the
Kingston or Mount Pleasant Academy came into existence, and this was
continued successfully, as an institution of higher learning, under
the fostering care of the church for many years. In 1898, the
centennial of the church was celebrated, when Rev. George Carpenter,
a pastor of the church from 1853 until 1867, and principal of the
academy for a number of years, gave a history of both the church and
school, covering the entire period of their existence. This was
an address of much historic interest, since it covers the entire
religious history of Green township, within the limits of this church.
It shows, also, the growth and progress from a pioneer organization in
the trackless wilderness, to one of the strongest and most successful
religious institutions in the county; and that the spiritual status of
mankind has kept pace with the onward march of civilization in the
secular affairs of life. Rev. Carpenter is still a
resident of Ross county, though retired from literary labors.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Kingston was the
outgrowth of later effort than the Presbyterian, though religious
services of that denomination were held in the town at a very early
date, probably about 1800; and, though a class was organized, and
preaching and other services held in private houses, no church
building was erected until 1829. In that year, however, the old
brick church was dedicated, and, with a true spirit of christian
tolerance, was thrown open to all worshipping congregations. A
few years later, the Methodists, through the efforts and influence of
John Crouse, and others, secured entire control of the
building, and a prosperous career was entered upon which was continued
to the present. The small brick church was superseded by a frame
structure more in keeping with the needs of the congregation.
But this in turn gave place to a handsome brick structure erected in
1894. The earliest members of this church were John Crouse
and wife, T. Parker and wife, Miss Sewell, Mrs. Ford,
the Rock family, Mr. Reat and wife, as well as many
whose names cannot be given. It has had a successful career as
one of the principal churches in the township.
Bethel Methodist Episcopal church was organized in
1804, by Rev. James Quinn. He was transferred, by
request, from the Baltimore conference, and voluntarily took up the
life of an itinerant in the backwoods. A preaching appointment
was established in the southeastern part of the township, which
accommodated people from adjacent territory in other townships, east
and south. Meetings were held for some years in a log cabin on
the Arrowsmith farm, also in a schoolhouse, later
established. Finally a hewed log house was erected for church
purposes, and this served the people until 1827, when a brick church
was erected, which was superseded by a neat frame church in 1871.
The society grew in interest and spiritual strength, and numbered
among its members, representatives of nearly all the pioneer
families in that locality. Among these were the Delays,
Crouches, Annos, Arrowsmiths, Ritters, Littles, Browns, Beatties,
Bunns, Senffs and others.
In connection with the church, a burying ground was
established in a very early day, and in this repose the remains of
most of the early members as well as a liberal representation of
their posterity. The organization is till maintained, and the
church is remembered with feelings of reverence as one of hte
pioneer landmarks indicating Christian progress.
Crouse's chapel, another representative of the
Methodist faith, is located in the eastern part of the township, and
was first known as Lakin's chapel. Rev. Benjamin
Lakin was one of the earliest pioneers of the township, coming
in 1802. To his zeal ad energy was due the organization of
this church, about 1807. It prospered as a pioneer
beacon-light in the wilderness, and bore the name of its founder
until a new church became a necessity. Largely through the
instrumentality of Mr. John Crouse, a zealous and active
Methodist and early pioneer, the present fine brick chapel was
erected, and, in deference to one of the most influential members of
the church in the county, it was named Crouse's chapel.
This honor is about equally divided between John Crouse and
his brother David, who was also a worthy and zealous
Methodist. Both these brothers served in the Ohio legislature,
and were prominent and wealthy citizens of the township.
The educational interests of Kingston have ever been a
paramount consideration; and no town of its size in the State has a
better system of public schools, or more appreciative and helpful
Of the social orders, the Odd Fellows are the pioneers.
Pearson lodge, No. 372, was organized July 14, 1864. The
charter members were A. Reedy, W. H. Patrick, O. P. Goodman, I.
N. Asbury, H. L. Myers, J. C. Allen, and J. W. Allen.
The first elective officers were O. P. Goodman, N. G.;
A. Reedy, V. G.; William Patrick, treasurer, and J. C.
Allen secretary. The lodge is in a prosperous condition
financially, having sufficient funds to meet all obligations in a
beneficial way, and also own their lodge building and extensive
Ruth lodge, No. 108, Daughters of Rebecca, was
instituted June 17, 1878; charter members: A. L. Ellis,
Hattie M. Ellis, W. L. Zimmerman, Simon Holderman, Joseph Smith,
Mary E. Smith, Albert Raub, Emma Raub, J. Ranck, Margaret Ranck, D.
W. Leasure, Laura Leasure, C. W. Myers, Hattie M. Myers, U.
Kitzmiller, A. M. Lamaster, M. J. Lamaster, David Bell, George B.
Leasure, D. D. Whitsel and A. C. Whitsel. The
charter list represented many of the most prominent ladies and
gentlemen of hte town and surrounding country, and the organization
at once entered upon a successful career.
Scioto grange, No. 160, Patrons of Husbandry, is
another society of both sexes, which has had a career of prominence,
usefulness and popularity. It was organized under the
dispensation granted October 8, 1873, with the following named
charter members: O. P. Goodman, J. D. Mundell, Simon Orr,
David Crouse, Nelson Long, Edward Wright, Joseph Wright, Nelson
Kellenbarger, William Dreisbach, L. R. Wright, Dorcas Goodman,
Hannah Orr, and Mrs. J. M. May. The society has
survived the period of depression and waning interest in grange
matters, and maintained its early prominence as a social
organization from the first to the present. Prominent farmers'
families in the vicinity of Kingston have been very generally
represented on the membership roll, and the society is in a
flourishing condition at present.
Last, but not least, in the consideration of social and
benevolent societies in Kingston is Maxwell post, No. 176, Grand
Army of the Republic. As is well known, every honorably
discharged Union soldier of the civil war is eligible to membership
in this fraternal organization; and very few of the survivors of the
great struggle deny themselves the benefits and social privileges,
unless prevented by religious scruples or enfeebled health.
But the lapse of thirty-seven years since the close of the war, and
more than forty years since the beginning, has devastated the ranks
of that once proud and unconquerable army, and left the remnant in
the "sere and yellow leaf" of declining years. But with the
thinning ranks, as one falls here and another there, the "boys" of
1861 proudly and reverently "close up to the right," maintaining and
ever cherishing a kindly regard for their late comrades in arms, and
their dependent widows and orphans. This the dominant feature
of the Grand Army of the Republic, and right royally do the
survivors and their devoted wives, sons, and daughters fulfill the
mission. This is the only fraternal organization with a "time
limit" as to its existence. In the very nature of things, it
must soon become only a memory. Maxwell post musters within
its ranks a large majority of the survivors of the war now residing
in Green township, and its "camp fires" and social gatherings are a
source of pleasure to old and young. Auxiliary to its
beneficial and social features, the ladies of
the Woman's Relief Corps perform an important part, as necessity
In the town of Kingston the
various business and mechanical industries are carried on, and the
handsome little village bustles with busy life. The only
monetary institution is the Scioto Valley bank. In 1883, a
number of prominent local capitalists effected the organization of
this popular concern, which has steadily grown in public favor.
The capitalization was thirty thousand dollars, though the
institution is backed, through individual responsibility, with many
times that amount. The original officers have remained in
control from the incorporation to the present. These are J.
M. May, president; Nelson Long, vice president, and
Nolan L. Gartner, cashier. The institution transacts a
general banking business, and gives special attention to collections
and buying bankable paper.
Besides the general representation of all phases of
mercantile life, there are also quite extensive mechanical
interests, of which the wagon factory is the most prominent.
The town affords an excellent market in the grain, lumber and stock
interests. There is but one hotel and livery in the town,
these being operated by Mrs. J. J. Waite & Sons.
locations of Residents of Green Township:
|Sec. 1 (part)
|1/4 Sec. 5
|S 1/2 Sec. 7
||ENTRIKIN, John & CROUSE, Nancy
|S 1/2 Sec.10
||ENTRIKIN, John & CROUSE, Nancy
|Sec. 28 (80 ac.)
|NE cor Sec. 34
||LITTLE, Samuel; BARNHART; WHEELER, Thomas; PYLE
< CLICK HERE TO
RETURN TO TABLE OF CONTENTS >