OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
Scioto County, Ohio
History & Genealogy


Biographies

Source:
History of Lower Scioto Valley
Together with Sketches of its Cities, Villages and Townships, Educational,
Religious, Civil, Military, and Political History, Portraits of Prominent Persons,
and Biographies of Representative Citizens
Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co.
1884

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

< CLICK HERE TO RETURN TO BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >

JAMES C. CADOT is a representative of one of the oldest pioneer families of Scioto County, and was born May 1, 1833, on the farm where he now resides, his widowed mother residing with him.  The farm contains 196 acres of improved land, which is well cultivated by Mr. Cadot.  He remained at home till twenty-one years of age, and then went to Jackson and learned the wagon-maker's trade, working at it till 1862, when he enlisted in the One Hundred and Seventeenth Ohio Infantry.  In 1863 it was changed to the First Ohio Heavy Artillery.  He went out as First Lieutenant of his company, but in 1864 was promoted to Captain.  He was mustered out in 1865, and returned to Jackson, where he worked at his trade till 1869, when he removed to the old homestead in Scioto County.   He was married in December, 1869, to Mary A., daughter of James and Elizabeth McQuality, of Jackson, Ohio.  They have four children - Cora V., Effie M., Lemuel H. and Helen F.  Mr. Cadot has been Treasurer of Vernon Township five years.  He is a member of Trowell Lodge, No. 32, A. F. & A. M., Jackson.  His father, Lemuel Cadot, was born in Gallipolis, July 4, 1795, and died in Vernon Township June 6, 1874.  When he was seven years of age his father died, and his mother with her three children removed to the French Grant in this county.  He started out in early boyhood to earn his own living, adopting the avocation of riverman.  After Ten years of this work he returned to Scioto County and in 1827 bought the farm on which he died.  Jan. 29, 1828, he married Catharine Backus.  They had a family of six sons and three daughters.  One of the daughters died in infancy.  Mrs. H. H. Fullerton died in 1837; the third, Mrs. Dr. McGoveny, is now living in Ironton.  Of the sons, W. H. H. is a grocer at Portsmouth; C. S. is a bookkeeper in Portsmouth; J. J. and L. Z. are merchants of Gallipolis; S. S> is a commercial agent of Cincinnati, and James C. is the subject of our sketch.  Mr. Cadot was a member of Captain Kendall's company of volunteer militia in the war of 1812.  He never aspired to county honors, and refused all offices tendered him, but he filled creditably all the township offices.  He was an industrious and honorable citizen, careful and close in business transactions, but liberal in his charity.  The secret of his success lay in the advice he gave to his sons when leaving the paternal roof:  "Never take a dollar that does not belong to you, and never allow a dollar to be taken unjustly from you."   His death was caused by paralysis, the final result of an injury received from falling under a load of lumber in 1856 or 1857.
~ Page 369 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN C. CADOT was born on the old homestead in Vernon Township, Scioto County, June 20, 1828, a son of Claudius and Nancy (Ball) Cadot, natives of Gallipolis, Ohio, and New York State, respectively.  His youth was spent on his father's farm, and in attending the district schools, and he afterward took a commercial course in the Commercial College of Cincinnati, Ohio.  He was married in 1874 to Mary J., daughter of John A. Winkler, a prominent farmer living near Haverhill.  They have two children living - Ananelle L. and Alta Clare  One child is deceased.  Mr. Cadot has one of the best farms in Vernon Township, which contains 700 acres of highly cultivated land, and he is one of the most successful cattle raisers and dealers in the Pine Creek Valley.  He has filled the office of Township Trustee ten years, and was appointed Commissioner of Scioto County to fill a vacancy, and is at present Treasurer of Vernon Township.  He belongs to Portsmouth Lodge, No. 148, A. F. & A. M.
~ Page370 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
SMILEY A. CALDWELL was born in March, 1853, in Scioto County, and is a son of Captain Jacob and Huldah (Hurd) Caldwell, both natives of Ohio.  In 1851 they moved to Scioto County and settled on the George Van Meter farm, where the father died in 1864.  The mother is making her home with our subject.  Smiley A. was reared on a farm and educated at the common schools and at the Ohio University, at Athens.  He was married in 1874 to Jennie Claypool, of Fairfield County, Ohio.  Their family consists of three children.  Mr. Caldwell's farm contains 540 acres of excellent land.  His residence is a large two-story brick, built in 1859, and surrounded by beautiful grounds.  They also own 320 acres where the old Scioto Inn stands.  Jacob Caldwell, father of our subject, took an active part in recruiting volunteers for the Ninety-first Regiment, of which he was appointed Captain, and succeeded in raising a company in less time than any one before.  His motives in entering the army were purely patriotic, and in doing so he left one of hte best farms and most comfortable homes in the county.  He died at the age of thirty-five years of flux and general debility, at the Sanitary Hospital, in Frederick City, Md., Aug. 9, 1864, and was buried from his father's residence, near Richmond Dale, Ross Co., Ohio.  He left a widow and three children to mourn his loss.
~ Page 402 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
T. CALVER, blacksmith, was born in Ross County, Ohio, in 1844, a son of Hugh B. and Catherine W. (Wiltcher) Calver, his father a native of Pennsylvania, and his mother of Virginia.  He came with them to this county in 1851.  He learned his trade at Unionville, and in 1867 located permanently in the town.  In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Thirty-third Ohio Infantry, and participated in many of the important battles of the war, his regiment being in thirty-five engagements.  He was wounded at Chickamauga and at Stone River was taken prisoner, and was in Libby Prison three months and seventeen days.  He re-enlisted in 1864, and was then detailed a member of the First Division Band, Fourteenth Army Corps.  He was married in 1867 to Josephine, daughter of Stout Morris.  They have two children - Morris and Hugh B.
~ Page 444 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
SHADRACH CHAFFIN was born in Grafton County, N. H., Mar. 8, 1797, a son of Reuben and Eunice (Walcot) Chaffin.  His mother died before he was two years old and his father afterward married Nancy Been.  In 1807 his father came West, landing in Kentucky, opposite Wheelersburg, where he bought 200 acres of land, but the title proving worthless his family never received any benefit from it. In September, 1808, he was removed by his friends to Scioto County, Ohio, where he died leaving his family in the destitute circumstances.  Shadrach remained with his step-mother till 1809, and then began working for his board and clothes.  When he was sixteen he began working for wages, and by economy and industry was enabled to buy the farm where he now resides.  It was at that time an unbroken forest, but he has brought it to high state of cultivation.  He was married in 1819 to Sarah, daughter of Philip and Anna C. Salladay.   Eleven children were born to them.  Mrs. Chaffin died in 1840, and he afterward married Julia A. Hayward, widow of Moses Hayward.  They have three children.  His wife has six children by her former marriage.
~ Page 370 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
CHARLES CHICK, deceased, was born in December, 1823, in Gallia County, Ohio, and moved with is father's family, in 1846, to the farm now occupied by his widow, and which contains 237 acres of good land.  He was married in 1854 to Sarah, daughter of John and Rebecca Lawson.  They have had born to them ten children - Lizzie, Stephen C., Ida (married to William Horr), Clara B., John W., Hattie S., Henrietta (died when three years of age), Ella E., Laura R., Walter A. and Pearl.  Mr. Chick died June 7, 1877, and the farm is now managed by his widow and eldest son.  Her father, John Lawson, was one of the pioneer settlers of Scioto Valley.  He died in 1859.  William Chick, father of our subject, was born near Livermore, England, and when a young man came to America and settled in Gallia County, Ohio, where he died in 1847, and his wife died in 1845.
~ Page 334 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
ROBERT H. COBURN, merchant, Harrisonville, Ohio, was born in Madison Township, Scioto County, June 28, 1850, the son of Arthur A. and Martha M. (Cowell) Coburn, the former born April 27, 1810, in Columbiana County, Ohio, and the latter born April 22, 1809, in Mercer County, Pa.  They were married in Pittsburg, Pa., Apr. 29, 1834, and were the parents of ten children, of whom six are living - James Harvey, Oscar M., Theodore A., Martha J., wife of George Cook; Mary, wife of Lewis Bracy, and Robert H., our subject.  The latter remained on his father's farm in Madison Township until he was married, Mar. 26, 1876, to Isabella, daughter of Peleg and Susan Colegrove, of Madison Township.  Their children are - William E., Clarence A., Robert D. and Mabel.  In 1881 Mr. Coburn came to Harrisonville, and engaged in the dry-goods and grocery business.  He carries a complete line of general merchandise and is one of the solid business men of the place.  His father was a hatter by trade, which occupation he followed till 1842, when he engaged in farming.  He purchased a farm in Madison Township, Scioto County, in 1847, where he followed agricultural pursuits till his death, which occurred Jan. 19, 1877.  He was survived him till July 8, 1880.
~ Page 344 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
GEORGE W. COFFRIN, farmer was born in Lewis County, Ky., Sept. 2, 1821, a son of William and Sarah (Hultzman) Coffrin, the former a native of Vermont, and the latter of Maryland.  His parents were married in Canada, and were among the early settlers of Adams County, Ohio.  They afterward removed to Vanceburg, Ky., where they died.  They had a family of seven children - Delila, George, Jane, Lavinia, Constantia, William and an infant.  By a former marriage, Mr. Coffrin had three children - Stotts, Tenicke, and Laura.  Our subject's early life was spent on a farm, receiving but a limited education in the subscription schools.  March 28, 1841, he married Barbara Ann Wilcoxson, and located in this township, where, with the exception of ten years spent in Pike County, Ohio, he has since resided.  In 1855-'56 he was Sheriff of Scioto County, and in 1880 was Land Appraiser, and has been Assessor four years.  He is a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge at Portsmouth.  He is a member of the Methodist church, and was licensed to preach in 1853.  Politically, he is a Republican.  Mr. and Mrs. Coffrin have had twelve children, but seven now living - C. F., Virginia E., Berdella, John W., Olla, Orrin and Etta Mary L., William T., Belle, Carrie and Anna are deceased.  C. F. enlisted in the late war when the first call was made for troops, in the three months' service, and at the expiration of his term re-enlisted in the three years' service, in Battery L, and served till the close of the war.  A son-in-law, Taylor Temple, enlisted in the same battery, and served three years.
~ Page 444 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
AMOS SPENCER COLE, son of Captain A. B. Cole, was born Oct. 19, 1857; in the house where his father now resides.  At the age of twenty-three years he accepted a clerkship in the postoffice at Baltimore, but at the end of eight months returned home.  His father being in poor health he took charge of the farm, which he managed till 1882.  In 1883 he was married to Mary Fritts, step-daughter of T. T. Geager, of Portsmouth.
~ Page 334 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
DANIEL W. COLE was born in Nile Township, Scioto County, Ohio, June 7, 1807, a son of Thomas and Rachel (Parrish) Cole, his father a native of Maryland, born in 1782, and his mother a native of Pennsylvania.  His parents came to Scioto County in 1804, where his father died in August, 1834, and his mother in August, 1853, aged sixty-six years.  They were members of the Methodist church.  They had a family of ten children, nine born in Nile Township.  Four are still living - John P., of Lewis County, Ky.; Mrs. Rachel McKinney of Nile Township.  Four are still living - John P., of Lewis County, Ky.; Mrs. Rachel McKinney, of Nile Township; Mrs. Amanda Owen, of Columbus, Ind., and Daniel W. Thomas, Nancy, Samuel, Mary, Millie A., and Harry are deceased.  The subject of our sketch worked at the shoemaker's trade with his father till twenty-three years of age.  Since then he has worked at shoe-making, harness-making, farming, boat-building, etc.  He is a natural mechanic, and was capable of performing any labor that required talent and genius.  He has held some of the township offices but has generally declined to serve, preferring to live a quiet life to one mixed with public duties.  He was married Sept. 26, 1833, to Mary J., daughter of Henry and Mary (White) Burris, who came to Ohio from Kentucky in 1827.  Nine children have been born to them.  six still living - Francis M., Nancy, Mary, Martha, Atlanta B., and James H.  Atha Ella, William J. and Henry are deceased.  They have thirty-four grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.  In 1876 Mr. Cole took the contract to carry the mail form Friendship to Portsmouth and has never lost a trip since that time.
 ~ Page 429 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
GEORGE W. COLE was born in Portsmouth, Ohio, in 1823, a son of Silas W. and Elizabeth (Huestin) Cole.  He had the advantage of a good common-school education, his early life being passed in town.  At the age of thirty-five he removed to the farm where he has since resided.  He was married in 1845 to Prudence S. Alford.  They had a family of ten children, only five now living - George, Silas C., Sabrina, Harry and Grant.  Those deceased are _ Charles O., who died July 14, 1847; Harriet E., May 12, 1854; Frank A., Feb. 18, 1858; Mollie S., April 27, 1865, and Ella E., Oct. 16, 1874.  Mrs. Cole died May 1, 1864, aged thirty-nine years.  In 1871 Mr. Cole married Maria T. Barber.  He has a farm of 500 acres, 300 acres under a good state of cultivation.  He has served his township as Clerk, Trustee and Justice of the Peace.  Mr. Cole's father was a native of New York, and when twenty-two years of age, about 1820, emigrated to Ohio and soon after married Elizabeth Huestin and settled in Portsmouth, where he worked at the trade of wagon-making.  In 1833 he abandoned his trade, and in 1839 moved to a farm in Union, now Rush Township.  In the spring of 1844 he returned to Portsmouth and the next year settled in Clay Township.  He accumulated a property valued at $50,000.  He had a family of nine children born to him, eight of whom are living - George W., William C., A. B., Charles O., Caroline, Silas W., John and James M.  Our subject had six brothers in the late war - William C., A. B., Charles O., John W., James and Henry, who was killed at Chattanooga, Tenn., in 1863.  Mr. Cole  died in 1876, aged seventy-seven years.
 ~ Page 445 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JAMES M. COLE, son of Leonard Cole, was born in West Union, Adams Co., Ohio, Sept. 19, 1808.  His parents were early settlers in the county, coming from Kentucky about 1805.  They had a family of six children, but two now living  Mary A., wife of Rev. E. M. Cole, of the Cincinnati Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and James M.  His father died in Brooksville, Bracken Co., Ky., about 1858.  James M. spent his early life in West Union, being educated in the schools of that town.  He learned the trade of a blacksmith, working at it several years.  He kept store and clerked at the different furnaces of Southern Ohio, and in the spring of 1846 he became part owner of Olive Furnace, Lawrence County, Ohio, which was then being built, and also its clerk.  He was the original proprietor of the sites of Gallia Furnace, in Gallia County, and of Harrison Furnace, in Scioto County, Ohio.  In 1856 he settled Webster, Scioto County, Ohio.  In 1856 he settled in Webster, Scioto Co., Ohio, where he has since resided, engaged in the mercantile business and dealing in live-stock.  He was married Aug. 28, 1836, to Mary J. Paull, of Bloom Furnace, oldest daughter of Benjamin Paull.  They had a family of nine children, seven of whom are living.  His wife died July 19, 1871, and he subsequently married Theresa Boyer, of Webster.  They have one son - John W.  Mr. and Mrs. Cole are members of the Methodist church.  Politically he has always been a Democrat, and has voted for every Democratic candidate for the presidency since Jackson, and also for the Second Amendment on Oct. 9, 1883.
 ~ Page 380 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
SILAS S. COLE, Superintendent of Scioto County Infirmary, was born in Scioto County, Ohio, in 1839, a son of Silas W. Cole.  His early life was spent on the farm and in attending the district schools, where he obtained a practical education.  He has followed the vocation of a farmer through life, and in March, 1882, was appointed to his present position.  He was married in 1861 to Margaret Davidson, daughter of A. Davidson, a native of Adams County, Ohio.  They have a family of seven children - Hattie J., Flora E., Orville D., Mattie E., Mary M., Nellie T. and Alice B.
 ~ Page 445 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
D. F. CONNELL was born in Brooke County, W. Va., then Virginia, Nov. 12, 1827.  In 1842 he accompanied his father to Richland County, Ohio, thence to Upper Sandusky, and in 1844 returned to Brooke County, Va., now W. Va., where he remained till 1846, when he went to Columbiana County, Ohio.  In 1851 he went to Hancock County, W. Va., and engaged in the mercantile business, adding fire brick to it in 1866.  In 1868 he removed to Portsmouth and took charge of the fire-brick works.  The business was started in 1865 by Taylor & Thomas, but in 1866 Mr. Connell bought an interest in the firm was changed to Taylor, Thomas & Co.  In February, 1868, Mr. Connell bought Mr. Thomas's interest and changed the firm name to Taylor & Connell.  They began in a small way in an old saw-mill, making at first about 4,000 per day.  The first year they doubled their capacity and extended their trade.  They have furnished brick for most of the furnaces of Chicago, Detroit, Joliet and Milwaukee.  Mr. Connell became interested in the Cincinnati Retort and Tile Works, and was in Cincinnati two years, a member of the firm of Connell & Taylor, same business.  He was the First to introduce the calcine fire brick in the Sciotoville works, which has proved a great success.  They employed a travelling salesman, R. Jenkins, of Chicago, who worked up a large trade throughout the Northwest.  In 1870 the Scioto Fire Brick Company, Towne & McConnell Brick Company and Salamander Brick Company consolidated, forming the Scioto Brick Company, with a joint stock company, in 1872 Mr. Connell retired from the management of this company and for several years gave his attention to his West Virginia land.  In 1880 he became associated with D. Hale, of Charleston,  and George Straughn in the coal business, but soon after bought his partners' interests.  The company now consists of John D. Carter and Mr. Connell and his sons, George and James, the two latter residing in Peabody.  They own 400 acres of coal land and lease 200 acres.  They have two banks opened and four other workable seams.  They employ 300 men and run their coal directly into their boats on the Kanawha River.  Their capacity at present is from 6,000 to 8,000 bushels per day.  The coal is of superior quality, well adapted for domestic purposes, and especially valuable for gas.  Mr. Connell is one of the most prominent business men of Southern Ohio.  He was married in 1850 to Catherine A. Wilhelm, of Hancock County, W. Va.  They have nine children - Julia, the wife of A. C. Davis; George, James, Anna, Sarah, William, Mary, Daniel and ArthurMr. Connell is a member of the Masonic family.
 ~ Page 251 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
W. A. CONNOLLEY, proprietor of one of the oldest established business houses of Portsmouth, Ohio, is a son of the late James Connolley.  The business was established by his father in 1855, and in 1860 he was admitted as a partner, and on the death of his father, in 1868, he succeeded to the business.  He did an exclusive retail business until 1874, when he enlarged the building situated on the corner of Fifth and Chillicothe streets, and with increased accommodations started a jobbing business in connection with the retail.  The first floor of the building is divide3d into two large and commodious rooms which accommodate the retail trade, one devoted to dry-goods and notions, the other to boots and shoes.  The upper floors are devoted exclusively to the wholesale trade.  Both wholesale and retail departments are kept well stocked with such goods as meet the demands of the people, and strict attention is paid to the style of goods that suit the different seasons of the year.  This house has for many years held a leading position in this city, and as years roll by it loses none of its former energy and push.
~ Page 252 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
HENRY COOK was born in Germany, Oct. 20, 1827, a son of Henry Cook who came to the United States with his family in 1840 and located in Portsmouth, where he remained till his death in 1870, at the age of sixty-nine years, his wife having died several years previous.  They had six children - Caroline, who was married to Adam Mitzger and died in 1873, aged forty-eight years;  Henry, our subject; Louisa, wife of Charles Kearher, of Portsmouth; John Frederick, of Jackson, Ohio; William and Augustus (twins).  Henry learned the shoemaker's trade of his father and has since been engaged in that business, ten years of the time working in a shoe factory.  He was married in 1852 to Lucy Neil, a native of Germany.  They had a family of four children - Ellen, wife of Theodore Pfeiffer, of Huntington, Ohio; John H., William Cromwell and Charles Edward.  Mrs. Cook died, and in 1862 he married Mary Neil, a sister of his first wife.  They have had two children - Louis F. and GraceLouis died at the age of fifteen months.
~ Page 252 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN COOLEY [Portsmouth] was born in Pennsylvania in 1821, a son of Matthew Cooley, who came to Portsmouth in 1828.  His parents both died when he was twelve years of age, and he was thus early thrown on his own resources.  When fourteen years of age he went to work for James Solsbury, of Portsmouth, to learn the trade of a harness-maker.  When he was twenty-one years of age he opened a shop of his own, and although at that time there were three shops, and since then there has been five others in town, still he has had a good trade and is now considered the leading harness-maker of Portsmouth. He employs only first-class workmen and uses only the choicest stock, guaranteeing all his work.  Mr. Cooley was married in 1853 to Mary Montgomery, daughter of Robert Montgomery.  Three children have been born to them, only two now living - Hattie and CallieWilliam died when fire years of age.  Mr. and Mrs. Cooley are members of the Methodist church.
~ Page 253 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
C. W. COTTON, Vice-President and Superintendent of Portsmouth Wagon Stock Company, was born in Massachusetts in 1829, a son of Ward M. Cotton, a machinist, of Leonminster, Mass.  He worked as an apprentice till twenty-one years of age.  He established the first manufactory for Cook's patent bit, at Shelburne Falls, Mass., and subsequently began the manufacture of carriage wheels.  He was afterward foreman in the Royal Wheel Company's works at Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1867 came to Portsmouth, where he was the prime mover in the erection of the hub and spoke factory of Johnston & Son, working there fifteen years.  He was married in 1852 to Ellen M. Graham, of Massachusetts.  They have two daughters - Mary Ellen and Lizzie J.  Mr. Cotton is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
~ Page 253 -  - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JAMES H. COYL was born July 21,1838, in Scioto County, and is the youngest son living of Jesse and Massy Coyl, the former a native of Kentucky, and the latter born in this county.  James H. has made farming his principal business through life, and has a good farm of fifty acres, and also owns, with his brother, 100 acres, situated on the Portsmouth and Haverhill pike, lot 28, French Grant.  He was married in November, 1871, to Persis L. Lamb, daughter of Reuben Lamb.  This union has been blessed with four children - Jesse D., Lucy L., Alice and Mary.
~ Page 356 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JESSE COYL, son of Stephen and Clara (Williams) Coyl, was born Jan. 22, 1804, in Pulaski County, Ky.  His parents were born and married in Virginia and moved to Kentucky about 1800, where the father died in 1808, leaving three sons and one daughter in the care of his widow.  The family then moved to Ohio Valley where the mother died in 1867.  Our subject spent his boyhood days working at furnaces, and in 1829 married Massy Feurt, a daughter of Peter Fuert.  They were blessed with six children of whom only two survive - John W. and James H.  In 1840 Mr. Coyl left the furnace and since then has followed farming.  He is now in his eightieth year and his wife is seventy-one years of age.
~ Page 357 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JOHN W. COYL, eldest son of Jesse and Massy Coyl, was born in Scioto County, near Franklin Furnace, Sept. 22, 1833.  He was reared on a farm and educated at the district schools.  He has always been engaged in agricultural pursuits, meeting with much success, and has at the present a farm of seventy-five acres.  He was married in 1871 to May Andre, a native of this county and second daughter of Joseph Andre.  The result of this marriage has been four children - Clara H., Henry C., James E. and William.  Mr. Coyl has served his township as Trustee five years.
~ Page 357 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
ELISHA CRABTREE was born in Jackson County, Ohio, in 1834, a son of William and Jane Crabtree, and grandson of William Crabtree.  He was reared on a farm and obtained a practical education.  In 1864 he enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Seventy-third Ohio Infantry, and served till the close of the war.  His health was seriously impaired by exposure, from the effects of which he never recovered.  He married Ellen, daughter of Joseph McIntire, of Lawrence County, Ohio.  They have had a family of ten children - Lucinda (deceased), Seth, John M., Joseph W., George W., Nimrod, Jane, Cora A., Mary C. and SarahMr. Crabtree owns a farm of thirty-nine and a half acres, all well improved and under good cultivation.  Politically he is a Republican.
~ Page 416 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
BENJAMIN E. CRANSTON was born in Porter Township, Scioto County, Jan. 17, 1833, and was reared and educated in his native county.  He has followed farming all his life, and at present owns 170 acres of good land and a residence on section 16, Porter Township.  He was married Nov. 14, 1861, to Frances Jane Elick, born in Portsmouth, Ohio, Nov. 27, 1841.   They have had a family of fourteen children - Catherine S., Ruth, Anna N., Edward B., Jeremiah, David and Jacob (twins), Abigail E., George F., Mary A., John S., Francis A., William H. and one deceased.  His father, Edward Cranston, was a native of Rhode Island.  He came to Ohio in 1815 and died in Porter Township, Oct. 26, 1864.  His mother, Sallie (Whitcomb) Cranston, was a native of New Hampshire, and died in Porter Township.  They were the parents of nine children, our subject being the fifth child.
~ Page 323 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
FRANK E. CRANSTON, the eldest son of Jeremiah and Abigail Cranston, was born in Wheelersburg, Ohio, Apr. 15, 1851.  He was educated in the common schools and afterward attended the Iron City Commercial College at Pittsburg, Pa.  He then formed a partnership with his father and younger brother in the factory.  In 1875 he went West and remained until spring of 1877.  In 1877 he moved to the farm where he now resides, engaged in farming and stock-raising.  He owns 173 acres of well-improved land with good buildings.  In April, 1881, he married Sophia Dold, a daughter of Stephen Dold.  She died June 11, 1883, leaving two children - Joseph V. and Mary A.  The latter died Aug. 18, 1883.
~ Page 323 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
JEREMIAH CRANSTON, woolen manufacturer, was born in Scioto County, Ohio, Aug. 5, 1827, and was reared and educated in Wheelersburg.  His father was a native of Rhode Island and by trade a machinist.  He built a small carding machine in Wheelersburg where he did county carding.  In 1847 he put up a woolen machine and commenced the manufacture of cloth from the raw wool, enlarging the business from time to time.  Our subject became a partner in the business in 1848, in which he has since continued.  Apr. 1, 1883, his son James commenced to take the entire control of the business.  Mr. Cranston was married Jan. 30, 1850, to Abigail Deautrumont, born in Delaware, Dec. 24, 1827.  They have six children - Francis E., Mary N., Benjamin, Luis D., James J. and Charles S.  Mr. Cranston has held the office of Justice of the Peace three years and Township Trustee several terms.  He is a member of the Odd Fellows, Orient Lodge, No. 337, to which he has belonged twenty-seven years.  Mr. Deautrumont, father of Mrs. Cranston, has always been an active working man, and how has 300 acres of good land in Washington County, Iowa.
~ Page 323 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
ANDREW CRAWFORD, manager and stock-holder of the Scioto Furnace, was born in County Tyrone, Ireland, Nov. 14, 1828.  In the spring of 1840 his parents and nine children came to the United States, landing in Philadelphia; thence, via Pittsburg to Manchester, Adams Co., Ohio, where they settled on a farm.  When twenty-two years of age Andrew left home and worked for John and Orrin B. Gould, at Franklin Furnace fourteen months; then worked at Clinton Furnace six years, and the Empire Iron Works four years.  He then returned to Adams County, and in 1863 came to Scioto County, and was employed as bookkeeper for the Scioto Furnace Company four years.  He then bought an interest in the company, still continuing its bookkeeper till 1880, when he took the management of the furnace.  He was married in Adams County, Sept. 2, 1862, to Cynthia A. Phillips.  She died in 1870, leaving four children - Minnie D., Emma F., Nora B. and George H.  In 1873 Mr. Crawford married Mrs. Kate Salladay, widow of Calvin Salladay.  They have two daughters - Kate E. and Mame L.
 ~ Page 380 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884
CALEB B. CRULL, son of David and Mary (Jenkins) Crull, was born near Harrisonville, Ohio, Sept. 7, 1813.  His parents were natives of Virginia, and came to Ohio in 1813, and in 1825 purchased the farm where our subject now resides.  They reared nine children to maturity, of whom two are living - Caleb, our subject, and Jane who is housekeeper at the old homestead.  David Crull was born in 1783, and died in 1836, and his wife was born in 1782 and died in 1842.  Our subject was first married to Reb ecca Jones, who only lived a few months.  His second wife was his cousin Jane, daughter of Samuel and Jane Crull.  She died in August, 1846.  Mr. Crull owns 470 acres of fine land and is enjoying the fruits of his labor.
~ Page 402 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884


S. N. Cutler

SAMUEL N. CUTLER was born near Wheelersburg, Scioto Co., Ohio, May 9, 1825, a son of Pliny and Philinda (Bliss) Cutler.  His father was born near Brattleboro, Vt., Oct. 4, 1779, and was the father of thirteen children, nine boys and four girls, only two now living - Harvey, and our subject, who was the youngest of the boys.  Pliny Cutler emigrated to Ohio soon after the war of 1812 and settled near Wheelersburg, Scioto County, where he resided for perhaps twelve years.  He then moved to a point on the east side of the Scioto River, about three miles north of Portsmouth, where he engaged in farming to some extent and operated a grist-mill for about five years.  He then purchased a farm situated on the west  side of the Scioto River, fifteen miles north of Portsmouth, where he remained the rest of his life, and which, after the Ohio Canal had been completed, became known as Cutler's Station, from the fact that the canal boat teams were stationed there.  He, at the digging of the canal, was engaged upon and excavated about three-fourths of a mile of the same.  Samuel the subject of this sketch, was about six years old when his father removed to the aforementioned farm, and it was here that he obtained all the school education and that has been his lot to obtain, and as is generally known, the facilities at that time were quite limited.  It is also notable that the benefits of public preaching were a so limited; public worship was almost invariably observed at his father's house.  He remained here doing farm work, and Aug. 31, 1848, he was married to Rusina D. Hadley, by whom he had one child - Laura J., born Sept. 27, 1849.  She died Feb. 7, 1853, and her mother followed the next day.  After the death of his wife and child he made a sale of all his personal property and removed to Jasper, Pike County, and there hoarded with his sister, Jane Hadley, who then was keeping the hotel at that place.  In a few months thereafter he purchased the stock of merchandise of Reed Bros. and engaged in the mercantile business, which he still follows.  Nov. 7, 1853, he was united in marriage to Ann M. Reed, who died Aug. 7, 1875, and by whom he had two sons - George R., who is a partner in his father's mercantile business, and Harry A., both living.  Dec. 23, 1877, he was united in marriage to Kittie A., daughter of James and Phoebe Rodgers.  They have two children - Mabel, five years old, and Helen, one year old.  In politics he is a Republican, having been formerly a Whig.  He has filled various public positions, being Postmaster for a time, and later was Internal Revenue Assessor for about three years.  He is a Master Mason and a member of Orient Lodge, No. 321, F. & A. M.  He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he is a Class Leader and is Superintendent of the Sabbath-school.  At the time of the Morgan raid in 1863, he was a member of the County Military Committee and engaged in his official capacity under orders from Major-General Burnside in obstructing the public roads in order to hold in check the rebel raiders.  At this time he suffered a loss by said raid of about $6,000 in merchandise as also other property.
~ Page 833 - History of Lower Scioto Co., Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Inter-state Publishing Co. 1884

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
SCIOTO COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE
FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights