OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express

 

Welcome to
SHELBY COUNTY, OHIO

History & Genealogy

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
History of Shelby County, Ohio
and representative citizens
Publ. Evansville, Ind.
1913
947 pgs.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1913 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST of BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES AND HISTORIES >
E. W. PARTINGTON, a successful general farmer of Green township, Shelby county, O., residing nine miles southeast of Sidney, where he owns 118˝ acres of excellent land, the old home place, was born here and has the privilege of being associated with the old familiar landmarks that he can remember since childhood.
     Edward W. Partington married Miss Ora D. Middlekauff, who was born in Indiana. They have no children and now live retired, Mr. Partington finding enough to still occupy his time in overseeing his large property. During his active years he carried on general farming and stock raising and his land still brings him a satisfactory income. He still occupies the residence his father built but has made many improvements. Mr. Partington has always been a democrat although he has never been willing to accept office, but his judgment is valued by his fellow citizens and is often consulted. Mr. and Mrs. Partington have a wide circle of friends.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 563
M. E. PARTINGTON, who has been a lifelong resident of Shelby county, O., resides on his valuable and well improved farm of 156 acres, which lies in Green township, one mile east of Plattsville. He was born one and one-half-miles southeast of this place and is a son of Edwin and Jemima Partington.
     Edward Partington was born in Union county, Ind., in 1831 and came to Green township, Shelby county, with his mother when nine years old and remained here during the subsequent years of his life, dying in 1905. He was a man of high standing in his community and was widely known. His widow; who still survives, was born in 1831, and six children were born to them: Joseph, who lives near Middletown; John D., who lives at Midway, Shelby county; Mrs. Mary Middleton; William E., who lives at Sidney; Edwin W., who operates the homestead farm; and M. E.
     M. E. Partington remained on the home farm during his boyhood while. attending school and afterward until 1900, but when he married he came to this farm which his father owned, and bought it in 1906, and here carries on farming and stock raising very successfully.
In 1900 Mr. Partington was married to Miss Dora Yost, who is a daughter of Elisha Yost, of one of the old pioneer families, and they have two children: Florence and Myron. They are members of the Christian church. In politics Mr. Partington is a democrat.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 569
N. A. PAULUS, who is one of Cynthian township's substantial and valued citizens, doing a large contracting and building business all through Shelby county, resides on his valuable farm of 100 acres, which lies three miles west of Newport, O.  He was born Mar. 6, 1869, in Patterson township, Darke county, O., and has spent his life in his native state. 
     When he was five years old Mr. Paulus was taken to Wayne township and there lived all through his school period, then learned his trade and continued to make his home in that section until his marriage in 1900, to Miss Mary Perin.  Mrs. Paulus was born in Cynthian township, a daughter of Julius and Rosa (Frances) Perin, well known and highly respected people of this township.  Mr. Paulus bought the interests of the different heirs in the Perin farm and here he and family have lived ever since.  With the exception of the comfortable residence, Mr. Paulus erected all the buildings now standing and has made many other substantial improvements.  There are two sets of buildings on the place.
     Mr. and Mrs. Paulus are members of the Catholic church at Newport.  They have three interesting children: Clara, Francis and Rosa.  Mr. Paulus has always voted the democratic ticket but has never been willing to accept political office, making an exception when it came to membership on the school board, and in Jan., 1912, he was elected a member of the board of education of the Turner Special School District to serve until 1916.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 547
MRS. ELIZABETH PAUWELLS, one of the best known and most highly esteemed owners of property in McLean township, resides in section 2, where she has 109 acres of both cultivated and pasture land. She was born in the State of New York, May 12, 1842, and is a daughter of John and Mary Louisa (Wesling) Stern.
The parents of Mrs. Pauwells were natives of Germany and after coming to the United States they lived for about six years in New York and then moved to Auglaize county, O. There the father followed his trade of stone cutter and also engaged in farming his death occurring at Minster when aged about fifty years. His wife survived to be sixty-three years of age. They were members of the Catholic church and in that faith they reared their eight children, four of whom survive, but Mrs. Pauwells is the only one living in Shelby county. She was five years old when her parents settled at Minster and there she was reared and attended school. She then married Ezabaus Pauwells, generally known as Isaac Pauwells. He was born and reared in Holland and in his own land learned the baking trade. When twenty-one years of age he came to America and in the course of time made his home at Minster, O. Following his marriage he settled on the farm in McLean township which now belongs to his widow, working for twenty-five years for the firm of Coons & White, who owned a sawmill at Dayton. He then bought this farm and spent the rest of his life here, making many improvements, draining and tiling all the land that could be cultivated arid putting up the buildings that are now in use.  The eastern boundary of the farm is the Loramie reservoir and Loramie creek extends through the land, and thus thirty acres, on account of overflow, is given up to pasturage. During the fishing season the farm has many visitors and preparations are always made for the annual influx, and comfortable accommodations are provided for fishing parties and stabling is given the teams. Boats and fishing tackle are kept for hire.  For fifty years this has been a favorite rendezvous for the disciples of Isaac Walton. Mr. Pauwells was a genial host and was very highly considered by ail who knew him. His death occurred July 6, 1903, at the age of seventy-four years and his burial was at Minster, O. He was a faithful member of St. Augusta Catholic church.
     To Mr. and Mrs. Pauwells the following children were, born: Mary Louisa, who died when aged nineteen months; John Ezabaus, who died unmarried when aged forty-nine years; Bernard, who lives in Jackson town­ship, Auglaize county; Annie, who is the wife of Benjamin Lampert, lives at Minster; Margaret, who is the wife of Henry Hollit, of Minster; August, who died at the age of nine months; Catherine, who died when aged eleven months; Julius, who operates the home farm for his mother; and Caroline, who lived but six weeks. Mrs. Pauwells and children are members of the Catholic church.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 429
JOHN QUINCY ADAMS PENCE, farmer and stock dealer, residing in Salem township, where he owns the old Pence homestead of eighty acres, was born at Springfield, O., Sept. 14, 1850, and is a son of Jesse G. and Elizabeth (Bare) Pence.
     Jesse G. Pence was born in Virginia and came to Ohio in early manhood.  In 1861 he moved on the farm above mentioned, coming from Tremont, Clark county, a pioneer settler in this section.  He was married in Ohio to Elizabeth Bare who was born in Pennsylvania.
     For many years they lived a Salem township, Shelby county, quiet farming people, good neighbors and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  When they passed away in the course of nature, they were laid to rest in the cemetery at Port Jefferson.  They had the following children:  Samuel B., John Q. A., Hosea, Louvisa, Lucinda and Emanuel.  Louisa became the wife of Jay Smith, and Lucinda married J. McCormick.
     John Quincy Adams Pence
had district school advantages and afterward remained assisting his father on the home farm until the latter's death.  For eleven years following he worked on farms by the month and then bought the old homestead, and all told has since spent thirty years here engaging in general farming and also dealing in stock.
     Mr. Pence was married in 1880 to Miss Sarah E. Kizer, a daughter of Philip and Phoebe Kizer, who were farmers in Champaign county.  Mrs. Pence is the sixth of their children, the others being: John Joseph; James; Elizabeth, wife of John Hesselgesser; Catherine, wife of Edwin Russell; Matilda, deceased; Etta, wife of Tobias Foltz; Lillie, wife of John Philips; and GeorgeMr. and Mrs. Pence have one son, Forrest K., of Zanesville, O., who married Bertha Price, and they have a daughter, Dorothy LouiseMr. Pence and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.  In voting with the republican party, Mr. Pence follows the example set him by his honored father.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 757
W. O. PENCE,* a well-known resident and successful general farmer of Shelby county, lives on his well-improved farm of forty acres which lies seven and one-half miles southeast of Sidney.  He was born in Champaign county, O., in 1876, and is a son of Frederick and Elizabeth (Blackford) Pence.
     Frederick Pence belongs to a family that settled early in Champaign county, O.  During the Civil war he enlisted from there and after his honor able period of military service returned to Champaign county and became a farmer but has been a resident of Shelby county for many years and now lives retired at Pasco.  He married Elizabeth Blackford and the following children were born to them: Mary Jane, Rhoda Ann, Delilah, Russell, William O., Emma Jane, Minnie Ruth, Naome, Frederick, Hattie, Harry, a babe that died in infancy and all the others survive with the exception of Mary Jane and Russell.
     William O. Pence was educated in the public schools and afterward assisted on the home farm and in other sections of the county engaged in farm industries until his marriage, when he settled on the farm he now owns, on which he carries on a general line of agriculture.  He is an industrious, capable farmer and so manages his land and stock that both prove profitable. 
     Mr
. Pence married Miss Alma A. Moore, a daughter of George W. Moore, an old settler of Shelby county, and they have two children: Delia and Forrest, aged respectively twenty and eighteen years.  In his political views Mr. Pence is a democrat and once served his township in the office of road supervisor but otherwise has accepted no public office.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 832
WILLIAM A. PERRY, president and general manager of the Sidney Steel Scraper Company at Sidney, O., an enterprise of large importance, backed by ample capital and officered with men of business experience and reliability, was born in Union county, Ind., November 24, 1865, and is a son of Russell Biglow and Eliza (Rider) Perry.
The father of Mr. Perry died when he was four years old and his widowed mother moved then to Hamilton, O., where, eight years later she married John Laughlin and shortly afterward the family removed to Sidney, where Mr. Laughlin became the head of the Sidney School Furniture Company. Mr. Perry was twelve years old when the family came to this city and here he completed his education and began his business career in the office of the Sidney School Furniture Company, advancing from the position of bookkeeper to be secretary and treasurer of that concern. It was a prosperous business enterprise which, on the death of Mr. Laughlin, was sold to the American School Furniture Manufacturing Company. Mr. Perry then went to New York City and for two years had charge of the collection department for that company and still further confidence was shown in his tact, and ability by the company when they commissioned him to go to Mexico and there establish a branch house. His mission to Mexico was successful, but, on account of becoming interested there in mining, one year later he resigned his position with the above named company and devoted the following three years to developing Mexican mining properties. In the meanwhile he associated himself with Julius Balke, who is now vice president of the Brunswick-Balke Company, of Chicago, Ill., in a partnership for the manufacture of school and church furniture, under the firm name of the Mexican School Furniture Company, operating in conjunction with the American School Furniture Company. Six months after starting their factory was destroyed by fire and the partners decided to return north instead of rebuilding, Mr. Balke going to Chicago and Mr. Perry to Sidney.
     The Sidney Steel Scraper Company was established at Sidney many years ago by the late William Haslup and after returning to Sidney Mr. Perry identified himself with this concern, which was subsequently incorporated with a capital of $200,000. For ten years Mr. Perry served as secretary and treasurer and also as sales manager of this company, and, on-the death of Mr. Haslup, in 1912, succeeded him as president. The other officers are: Ben Strauss, vice president, and W. L. Snyder, secretary and treasurer.
     Mr. Perry was married at Sidney, O., to Miss Clara Epler, who is a daughter of Thompson W. Epler, a prominent citizen. They have one son, John Perry. Fraternally Mr. Perry is a Mason and politically a republican and unquestionably is one of the reliable and conscientious citizens of the community in which his life has-been mainly spent and where his dearest interests are centered.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 572
W. T. PICKERING, who is numbered with the prosperous and progressive agriculturists of Washington township, owns a farm of 140 acres which lies twelve miles southwest of Sidney.  He was born in 1880, in Putnam county, O., and is a son of M. S. Pickering, who was born in Fairfield county, a member of one of the old pioneer families.  M. S. Pickering was a farmer first in Paulding county, later in Shelby county and at present is a resident of Fairfield county.
     W. T. Pickering attended school in both Putnam and Paulding counties and remained with his father until 1897, when he came to Shelby county and in 1907 purchased and settled on his farm in Washington township.  The general improvements he has placed here give evidence of good judgment and he probably has as fine a modern residence as can be found in the township.  He raises the usual grains of this section and also devotes attention to stock raising.
     Mr. Pickering was married in 1901 to Miss Katie Patterson.  They are members of the Presbyterian church at Piqua.  In his political sentiments he is a democrat.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 535
HARRISON M. POTTS, proprietor of a saw mill at Sidney, O., and also owner of a fine farm of 160 acres, lying in Washington township, two and one-half miles southwest of Sidney, is a leading citizen of Shelby county and a justly honored veteran of the great Civil war. He was born in Miami county, near Fletcher, O., February 27, 1846, and is a son of Jackson and Cynthia Ann (Lusena) Potts. Jackson Potts was born in Warren county, O., and his wife at Maysville, Ky. He engaged in farming in Miami county but died early, his widow surviving until after their son's return from the Civil war, when she became the object of his filial care.
     Harrison M. Potts remained on the home farm until he was sixteen years of age, in the meanwhile attending the district schools, afterward doing general farm work in the neighborhood until he enlisted for service in the Civil war, on August 15, 1862, in Company E, 110th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. His regiment was, a part of the Second Brigade, Third Division, Sixth Army Corps, Army of the Potomac. He was then only a lad of seventeen years and practically had never previously known any hardships. At the battle of Winchester, Va., shortly after his enlistment, he was captured by the Confederates and was confined in Libby prison for two days and two nights, afterward being sent to Belle Isle, where he was kept from June 14, 1863, until July 27, 1863, when he, with other prisoners, was sent to Annapolis, Md., to await formal exchange, which, not taking place in three weeks, brought about such a state of weariness and homesickness that the young soldiers, only boys in years, determined to take matters into their own hands and await exchange and parole in their own homes. While this was against military law it was natural and forgivable, for the three lads who slipped out of camp when the guards were not looking, had no idea of deserting. They practically walked the entire distance from Annapolis to Fletcher, with the exception of seventy-five miles, keeping to the National turnpike unless they had reason to fear capture, when they made detours, as they were aware that the provost guard, for the sake of discipline, would return them to camp before permitting them to make the longed for visit to their homes. When about seventy-five miles east of Columbus they fell in with a farmer, who, after learning the facts, took them home with him and not only fed and sheltered. them but gave them railroad fare to within ten miles of Columbus. Unfortunately for the boys' hope of quiet escape, there was a company of soldiers on board the train and the captain of the company, thinking the youths were deserters, promptly put them under guard, and on reaching Columbus they were taken to the State House and given the marble floor for a bed. From the surrounding but sleepy guards the youths managed to escape in the early morning and continued on their way to Fletcher. For several weeks they remained in their homes and then their own colonel, Colonel Foster of Piqua, who was then visiting his home, sent for them and advised them to return to the prisoner's camp, which they did and were officially exchanged with their company and with his regiment. At the time of the New York riot, afterward, Mr. Potts was with his regiment when it was sent to that city and he continued until the close of the war, participating in many battles and serious engagements.
     After his honorable discharge, Mr. Potts returned to his mother at Fletcher, and with the money he had saved in the army he purchased a team and went to farming. Later he moved on a farm in Turtle Creek township, paying a fair rental for the same and it was while there that he entered into the timber and saw mill business'. After selling the interests he had acquired there he came. to Sidney and entered the spoke and bending business and since then he has been in the same business at Ogden,. Ind., at Greensburg, Ind., and a second time at Sidney. Mr. Potts is one of the best known timber and lumber men in Shelby county and is listed with the leading and representative men. In addition to his lumber business he successfully operates his farm and also finds time to investigate into public matters pertaining to his own locality and to serve frequently in responsible positions where his business capacity is of great value to his fellow citizens. At times he has filled the office-of treasurer of Turtle Creek township, and is a member of the board of trustees of the Sidney Water Works.
     Mr. Potts was united in marriage with Miss Mary E. Wakeman, a daughter of the late Henry Wakeman, of Turtle Creek township, and two sons were born to them: Elmer and William, the last named dying May 7, 1912. Mr. Potts is identified with the Knights of Pythias.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 588
WILLIAM H. PRINCEHOUSE, funeral director, who has been established in business at Sidney, O., since March, 1898, was born near Palestine, in Green township, Shelby county, O., May 19, 1866, and is a son of Jacob and Mary (Bratigan) Princehouse. Henry Princehouse, the grandfather, who was born in Germany, was the founder of the family in Shelby county, and Jacob Princehouse, his son, was born in Green township, south of Palestine, O., spent his life as a farmer and died there. His widow survives and lives at Palestine, Shelby county.
     William H. Princehouse attended the country schools in Green township and afterward engaged in farming, residing on his own property until 1898, when he came to Sidney, for four years afterward being in the livery business. For the past ten years he has been in the funeral directing business, being a practical embalmer, a graduate of Clarke's School of Embalming of Cincinnati. He has well equipped quarters in the Bingham furniture store, and owns a funeral car, an ambulance and an automobile for the proper and dignified transaction of his business. He is identified with all the leading fraternal organizations, including the Masons, Odd Fellows, Elks, Red Men, Uniformed Knights of Pythias and the Knights of Khorassan. He belongs also to the Commercial Club at Sidney and is interested to some degree in political matters. Personally Mr. Princehouse has a wide circle of friends on account of his friendly and kindly spirit and as a business man he is held in respect.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 441
C. K. PRUDEN, one of the representative citizens and successful agriculturists of Orange township, whose well improved farm of eighty acres lies three and one-half miles south of Sidney, in 1870  He is a son of James K Pruden and a grandson of Peter Pruden, who was born in New Jersey and left there in early manhood and went to Paris, Ky., where he engaged in shoemaking  until 1830, when he came to Shelby county, and settled on the farm now owned by his grandson, C. K. Pruden.  He married Christiana Amos, and they spent the closing years of their lives in Orange township.
     James K. Pruden was one of a family of eight children and was born in Bourbon county, Ky., in 1826.  After he reached manhood he engaged in farming and stock raising, improving his property and building the stanch residence in which one of his sons resides, some forty-five years ago.  He lived to the age of seventy-four years, a man well known and universally respected.  He married Mary E. Cooper, who was born in Hamilton county, O., but was a child when she came to Shelby county, and now is a beloved member of the household of her son, J. Edward Pruden.  They had five children: J. Edward; Mrs. Mary Fields, who is deceased; Mrs. Anna Beaman, who lives on a part of the homestead; Alfred, who is deceased; and Clark K., of the present review.
     Clark K. Pruden has been engaged in farming and stock raising ever since his school days, remaining on the home place until his marriage and then moving to his present farm.  In 1893 he erected his comfortable residence and has placed all other buildings and improvements here and was actively engaged in his various industries until 1910, when  he retired to some extent, since then renting out the larger part of his land and devoting the rest to growing potatoes and some common stock for home use.
     Mr. Pruden married Miss Josephine Voress, a daughter of Okey Voress,  and they have two children: James Earl, who is a member of the graduating class of 1913, in Miami University, having taken a chemical course; and Alfred David, who is also a bright student, now in the Sidney schools, who is making plans to enter the Ohio State University.  In politics, Mr. Pruden is a republican and has been quite active in local affairs for many years.  He served five years as township clerk and very acceptably served out also an unexpired term of the township treasurer.  He is identified with the Odd Fellows, attending the meetings of the order at Kirkwood.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 521
DAVID M PRUDEN, general agent for the Union Central Life Insurance Company of Cincinnati, O., for Shelby and Miami counties, for a number of years has been a resident of Sidney, where he has had business interests.  He was born on a farm in Orange township, Shelby county, O., Dec. 29, 1836, and is a son of Peter and Anna (Amos) Pruden.
     Peter Pruden
was probably born at Elizabeth, N. J., and was a shoemaker by trade, later became a farmer.  He was married in Benton county, Ky., where his wife, Anna Amos, was born, and they came to Orange township, Shelby county, and both died on the home farm.  On this farm David M. Pruden was reared and resided until he was forty-six years of age when he came to Sidney.  Here he embarked in the farm implement business and also engaged in handling wool.  For the last twenty years he has been connected with the above standard insurance company and probably few men are better known than he in the territory his business interests cover.
     In 1879 Mr. Pruden was married to Miss Anna M. Thompson, who was born in Washington township, Shelby county, a daughter of David Thompson, and three children were born to them, namely: Nellie, who died at the age of twenty-five years, was the wife of Clifford Livingstone; Sadie, who died when aged twenty-three years; and Catherine.  Mr. Pruden is identified fraternally with the Masons, the Elks and the Knights of Pythias.
Source: History of Shelby County, Ohio and representative citizens - Evansville, Ind. - 1913 - Page 557

 

.***

 



 

LICK HERE to Return to
SHELBY COUNTY, OHIO
INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE to Return to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS
INDEX PAGE

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  ©2008
Submitters retain all copyrights