OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

A Part of Genealogy Express
 

STARK COUNTY,
 OHIO

BIOGRAPHIES

Source:
  History of Stark County:
 with an outline sketch of Ohio

Chicago: Baskin & Battey,
1881
 
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z



< CLICK HERE to RETURN to 1881 BIOGRAPHICAL INDEX >
< CLICK HERE to RETURN to LIST OF BIOGRAPHICAL INDEXES >
City of Canton -
LAWRENCE ALEXANDER, city woolen mills, Canton; is a native of Dublin, Ireland, and was born in the year 1815.  When 11 years old, he engaged in the woolen trade; and, having completed his apprenticeship, he, in 1833, came to the United States, locating in the city of Boston.  He worked for about four years in the vicinity of that city, and then went to Philadelphia, remaining there one year, when he came to Massillon, Ohio, and from there went to Waynesburgh, where he lived some ten years.  He then lived in Lexington Twp. some eight years, after which he came to Canton about the year 1855.  He rented a mill in Lexington Twp.  After coming to Canton, he and John Robbin rented Jacob Sprankle's factory, near the city, and soon after Mr. Alexander bought his present place, which was originally built for a tannery.  He put in the requisite machinery, and has conducted the woolen business ever since.  During his residence in Stark Co. he has served as Commissioner two terms.  He was married in 1836 to Miss Hannah Fitzgerald, a native of Lowell, Mass.  They have four children, viz.:  Elizabeth M., Francis A., Augustine and Frank.  All live at home except Augustine, who is the Rev. A. Alexander of Baltimore, of the Catholic Church.  Mr. Alexander is a Democrat in politics.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 595
City of Alliance -
J. K. ALLEN
, postmaster; Alliance; was born in St. Clairsville, Belmont Co., Ohio; he came to Alliance in 1861, and has been a resident of this place ever since.  Here he got a liberal education in the public schools, and was engaged in the jewelry business about six years.  He accepted a position as clerk in the post office under Henry Shreve for four years; and from 1875 he was employed in the train dispatcher's office of the P., Ft. W. & C. R. R., at this station, until he received the nomination for Postmaster of Alliance, which was confirmed in January, 1881.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 718
City of Alliance -
WILLIAM H. ALLERTON
, manufacturer of brick; P. O. Alliance; was born in Mahoning Co., O., Feb. 10, 1841.  He is the son of John and Martha (Hoffman) Allerton, who came to Ohio from Pennsylvania, and engaged in farming in Mahoning Co.  When William H., was about 18 years of age, he began to work at brick-making in Mahoning Co.  In 1861 he enlisted in the late war, Co. B., 65th O. V. I. and served three years; on Dec. 31, 1862, he was taken prisoner by the rebels at Murfreesboro, and sent to Libby Prison, where he remained until the 2d of the following February, when he was exchanged and brought to Annapolis, Md.  While in prison he was taken very sick, and when first parolled, Jan. 23, he was unable to leave; feeling that his life would soon be ended if compelled to remain there much longer, he resolved to leave the first opportunity that offered;  on the 2nd of February, when a few other prisoners were being exchanged, he made every effort and with some assistance reached the wagon in which they were carried to the boat, and thereby got to Annapolis, Md., where he remained in hospital for a short time, and on account of disability was transferred to the Veteran Reserve Corps, at Columbus, O., and thence to Indianapolis, Ind. for there he received his discharge Nov. 2, 1864, and returned home.  During his service, he participated in many of the severe battles of the war.  He came to Mt. Union in 1867, and engaged in his business there, and has continued to manufacture brick ever since, making about 400,000 brick annually, which are largely used in Alliance, Mt. Union and surrounding country.  In October, 1868, he married Amelia Scranton; they have three children, viz. - Nellie O., Laura B. and Louie.  In 1873 he built his very commodious two-story brick residence on Mt. Union street near the southern limits of Alliance.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 718
Bethlehem Twp. -
MRS. EVE ALLMAN, Navarre.  This lady was born in Perry Twp., Stark Co., Ohio, Oct. 28, 1812; she is the daughter of Frederick and Margaret (Smith) Stump, who came from Franklin Co., Penn., to Stark Co., Ohio, in 1808;  they were enterprising, intelligent people, accustomed to hard work and well calculated to reclaim a wilderness and endure the hardships and privations of pioneer life.  (Full mention of them is made in the history of Perry Township).  Mrs. Allman received but a meager education - only such as the log schoolhouses of that early day afforded; she was, however, well schooled in all domestic duties, in which our pioneer women excelled.  She remained at home until her marriage with Mr. Barney Allman, which occurred in 1830.  This gentlemen was born in Franklin Co., Penn., in 1806, and, when 4 years of age his parents came to this county; here young Allman was reared upon a farm, receiving the benefits of a common school education; at the time of his marriage with Miss Stump, he had but little or no property; he and wife, however, went to work with a will, and, at the time of his death, which occurred Dec. 5, 1874, they had a finely improved farm of 147 acres, and were enjoying the fruits of a well-earned competency.  Mr. Allman was well and favorably known throughout the county; he held the office of Township Treasurer fifteen years, besides other positions of honor and trust; the county would be much better off to-day had it more such men. He was the father of the following family of children, viz.:  Margaret, Elizabeth, Agnes, Frederick S., Lucinda, James D., Mary C. and Margaret J.  Mr. Allman, as well as his wife, were from early life members of the M. E. Church, and their lives were such as to reflect credit upon the church, their family and themselves.  Mrs. Allman resides upon the old homestead, and, although passing into the "sere and yellow leaf," is hale and healthy, and is calmly awaiting the last of all time.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 982
City of Canton -
JOHN H. ALTAKRUSE

Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 595

City of Alliance -
JAMES AMERMAN
, attorney-at-law; Alliance; was born in Genesee, Mich., Aug. 20, 1848.  His parents were John and Mary A. (Duns) Laidler; the former was born in 1812 in the Highlands of Scotland, and the latter in 1814.  They were married in Wollan Parish, Northumberland, and emigrated to the United States in 1842; after a short residence in New York they removed to Michigan.  They had six children; and upon the death of his mother, in 1850, our subject was adopted by Daniel and Mary Amerman, of Thornville, Lapeer Co., Mich. and enjoyed the privileges of a good English education in his boyhood.  He came to Alliance with his adopted father in 1858, and in April, 1862 enlisted in Co. B, 82d O. V. I. and followed the fortunes of his regiment, participating in the many serious battles of the three years service.  In the second Bull Run fight, he was slightly wounded in the side, and at Gettysburg he was taken prisoner and confined on Belle Island three months, when he was paroled and returned to his regiment when exchanged.  He was mustered out of service in June 1865.  Part of the time of his service in June, 1865.  Part of the time of his service, he was on detained duty in the office of the Adjutant-General, Army of the Potomac.  Returning to Alliance, he studied law with A. L. Jones, Esq., and was admitted to practice in April, 1867; was a short time associated with his preceptor, but in 1869 the partnership was dissolved and he has remained alone ever since.  He has been associated in the trial of several noted cases, with some of the most eminent legal talent in the state;  among these may be mentioned the Boyle murder trial in 1877, in which he assisted the state in the prosecution, the verdict being eighteen years in the penitentiary.  Another was the case of Teeters vs. Brainard, involving the ownership of Alliance College.  Mr. Amerman was attorney for the plaintiff in both trials.  In these cases were retained Ex-Chief Justices Ranney and Day, Judges Ambler, Underhill and Reff.  Also the celebrated libel case of Fowler vs Hester, in which the damages were laid at $25,000, associated with Judge Ambler.  He was attorney for defendant, against McSweeny and others for the prosecution, with verdict for the defendant.  Another was the case of Ohio vs. Ohr, charged with the murder in the first degree; and the case of the State vs Sarnet with a like charge.  In both cases he appeared for defendant.  He has become distinguished for the zeal and energy with which he pushes his cases, and has met with signal success in his profession.  For two years he was attorney for the Lake Erie and Alliance R. R. Co., and has also served as City Solicitor.  In his 22d year, he was candidate for Mayor of Alliance but was defeated by 27 votes, the only reason urged against him, being that he was too young.  His law library is one of the finest in the county.  Nov. 7, 1870, he married Rachel, daughter of Elisha Teeters.  Three children have been born to them, two living viz:  Maud M. and Allen E.  On May 7, 1879, they lost by death a daughter, Rosa Vivian, of 2-1/2 years of age, and out of compliment to her and her parents, was named the "Vivian Lodge," of the new secret order of Royal Arcanum, of which some of the leading citizens of Alliance are members.  In August, 1874, his father died at Thornville, Mich., aged about 66 years.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 717
Washington Twp. -
ROBERT ANDERSON, farmer; P. O. Homeworth, Columbiana Co.  The Anderson family are of Scotch descent for many generations, and the occupation in the old country of the family was that of shepherds.  Robert was born at Dumfries, Scotland, Sept. 29, 1824; his father, James Anderson, was born June 9, 1788; he married Grace Potts, and they had three children.  In June, 1833, they left Scotland with their family and emigrated to America, the voyage occupying some two months; after reaching this country they sailed up the St. Lawrence River, across Lake Ontario, around Niagara Falls to Buffalo; then across Lake Erie to Cleveland, down the Ohio Canal to Massilon, then over the roads to Canton, and finally through Washington Township by the Thomas road.  For three months, they lived in Columbiana County, and in November, 1833, settled in Washington Township.  James left his native land with enough money to buy a farm, and purchased 160 acres from Thomas Lacey, paying $600 for the tract.  (The usual price of a quarter-section of good land in those days was $800, or $5 per acre.)  Their nearest neighbors, in 1833, were Michael Beltz and Henry Shaffer; the township was very thinly settled, the greater portion of the land being covered with a heavy growth of timber.  James was Treasurer of Washington Township for twelve successive terms, and was connected with the Presbyterian Church of Homeworth; he died Apr. 1, 1871, aged nearly $3, his wife, many years previous, on Mar. 4, 1852, aged 53 years; they were the parents of three children - William, now a resident of Columbiana County, near Homeworth; Barbara, who died in 1877; and Robert the youngest, subject of this sketch.  He was raised on his father's farm; the first school he attended was in November, 1839, taught by John Moffatt; it was held in the Diehl Schoolhouse, and the first held in that district.  Robert was married, May 1, 1852, to Miss Mary Hartzell, daughter of Jacob Hartzell, who lives north of Freeburg at the present time; they are the parents of four children, viz., William F., Jane C., Flora M. and T. ChalmersMr. Anderson still occupies the farm his father purchased nearly fifty years ago; he is connected with the Presbyterian Church as Homeworth, and is in politics a Democrat.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 999
Plain Twp. -
J. E. ANSTINE, farmer; P. O. New Berlin; was born in York Co., Pa., Mar. 20, 1819; is the second in a family of eight children born to George and Catharine Anstine.  George Anstine was a farmer, and during the war of 1812 was engaged in teaming from Baltimore to York, Pa.  Our subject's early life was spent on the farm, and he remained at home until he was 21 years of age.  He then apprenticed himself to the carpenters' trade, serving two years as an apprentice.  He then purchased a carding and dyeing mill, and for five years was engaged in that business.  He then engaged in farming, where he remained ten years, then came to Ohio, settling in Plain Twp., on the farm of 240 acres, where he still resides.  In 1843 he was united in marriage to Catharine Landis, of York Co., Pa., who bore him twelve children, eight of whom are living, viz: - Henry, Sophia, Rebecca,,,, John, Ellen, Malinda, George and Marne.  Mr. and Mrs. Anstine are members of the Lutheran Church.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 878
Osnaburg Twp. -
JOSIAH ANTHONY, farmer; P. O. Osnaburg; one of the most attractive places, and one which catches the eye of a stranger in driving out the State road is the residence and barn of Josiah Anthony, a farmer living three miles east of Osnaburg.  Mr. Anthony was born Feb. 28, 1835, in Osnaburg Twp.; his parents were John and Juliann A. (Schull) Anthony, of Adams Co., Penn.  His father having died when Josiah was a youth of 13, he was placed under the care of a guardian, Henry Hossler; at 18 he began the carpenter's trade under Samuel Immel which he followed in the west until 1862.  Returning to Ohio, he again engaged in farming, at first purchasing 80 acres of the present homestead.  In 1868 he added the remainder of the original place, making in all 120 acres of highly improved farming land.  In connection with his model farming he has of late years being dealing some in Merion sheep and Durham cattle; his present herd is a cross from the thorough bred Durhams imported from Canada by Sprankle and Williamson.  In the arrangement of his barn and yards he has spared no pains or expense to have every convenience for the comfort of his stock.  Mr. Anthony was united in marriage to Miss Lucinda Baughman, of Nimishillen Twp., and is surround with a pleasant and harmonious family of eight children, five boys and three girls; in religion Mr. and Mrs. Anthony are communicant members of the Reformed Church, at Paris, O.
Source 1 :  History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Publ. Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 838
Lexington Twp. -
THEODORE ARMSTRONG, A. M., professor of penmanship, and assistant superintendent of the commercial department of Mt. Union college; Mt. Union; was born June 12, 1848, in North Benton, Ohio.  He is the oldest of a family of ten children born to Dr. Robert and Amy B. (Woodruff) Armstrong.  His grandfather Armstrong, came to Ohio, and was one of the first pioneers of Mahoning Co., as were the Woodruffs also, who entered their land of the government.  When moving from New Jersey to Ohio, their team being heavily loaded with their effects, the grandmother Mrs. Woodruff, walked on foot the entire distance.  Dr. Robert Armstrong was a prominent physician, and had a very extensive and lucrative practice in Mahoning Co., and vicinity.  The subject of this sketch received a liberal common school course, and in the fall of 1865, he entered Mt. Union College, and was appointed tutor of a class in 1868,  in the meantime pursuing his own studies; but being of frail constitution, he was compelled to give up his college work for a short time.  Upon finding his health recruited by outdoor exercise, he returned and graduated in the scientific course in Mt. Union in 1870, and in 1871 graduated in the classics.  He was the appointed professor of penmanship and assistant superintendent of the commercial department of the college.  May 1, 1873, he married Emma M., daughter of Zachariah and Mary Bertolett, of North Benton, Ohio.  They have two children living - Mary I., and Bertolett.  Prof. Armstrong has a very commodious home, which he has taken great delight in beautifying, doing all the work himself as recreation in his leisure hours.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Page 749
Lexington Twp. -
WILLIAM ARMSTRONG, Mus. B., professor in instrumental music, special vocal culture and musical composition;  Mt. Union; was born in Cheshire, England.  In youth he was private pupil of Henry C. Cooper, of the Cobden Philharmonic Society, of London.  He was a teacher of music in London for several years, but emigrated to the United States in 1870, and after a short residence in New York, he was associated with Dr. Henry Sutter of Painesville, Ohio, who was formerly "Hofkapell-Meister" to the Grand Duke of Hesse-Darmstadt - and with him established the Sutter College of Music; and with Dr. Sutter he was joint author of the "Grand German Piano Forte Method" and "Classical Method of Voice-Culture."  Mt. Union College ratified the degree of Mus. B., in 1872, sine which time he has been a member of the Faculty.
Source: History of Stark County: with an outline sketch of Ohio - Chicago: Baskin & Battey, 1881 - Pager 750


NOTES:
 

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
STARK COUNTY, OHIO

CLICK HERE to RETURN to
OHIO GENEALOGY EXPRESS

FREE GENEALOGY RESEARCH is My MISSION
GENEALOGY EXPRESS
This Webpage has been created by Sharon Wick exclusively for Genealogy Express  2008
Submitters retain all copyrights