NIMISHILLEN was named
after the creek which takes its rise mainly in
the township. There is a tradition that
the stream was named from the black alder which
grew very abundantly along the bank, the Indian
name of which is said to be Missilla.
Prefix to this word ni, which probably
meant stream, or water, and you have Nimissilla,
since changed into Nimishillen. Col.
Bouquet, a British officers stationed at
Fort Du Quesne (now Pittsburgh), in his
published narrative of an expedition through
this section in 1764, gives the orthography of
the stream as Nemenchelus. Whatever
may have been the original meaning of this word,
it was evidently the one from which the present
name has been derived.
The first settler in the township was John Bowers,
from Maryland. He entered the south half
of Section 32 in 1805, and in the following
spring, moved out with his family, and commenced
an improvement on the east quarter. In the
winter of 1806-7, his son John, then a
stout boy, was taken sick with a fever.
There was no physician within reach, and, as the
boy grew worse, and the family had exhausted
their efforts to relieve him without success,
they sent for the few distant neighbors, who
were prompt to respond to the call. Their
added experience and domestic remedies proved
alike unavailing, and the poor boy died.
It was a terrible shock to the family. The
mother blamed it all upon the new country, and
regretted having left their Eastern home.
In this their hour of affliction, the neighbors
were doubly kind, and did what they could to
console them. A rough coffin was made out
of an old wagon box, and the boy buried in the
woods, some distance from the cabin. It
was a solemn occasion, long remembered by the
few in attendance. A tree was cut so as to
* Contributed by Dr. Lew. Slusser
grave, in order to protect the body from the
wolves. Bowers sold this quarter to
Bollinger, and made a settlement upon the
adjoining quarter west. While here, he was
elected County Commissioner, and afterward Tax
Collector, when the office was distinct from
that of Treasurer. He is yet remembered
passing over the country from house to house
with a cylindrical tin box strapped on his back,
collecting the taxes. Some years later, he
sold the balance of his land, and purchased a
small improved tract in Canton Township, where
he died. He was buried in Onaburg.
John Gans, of Fayette County, Penn., entered the
southeast quarter of Section 3, in 1806, and
settled thereon same year with his family,
consisting of a wife and four children.
His son Benjamin, now a resident of Lake,
was born in Nimishillen in 1807. Mr.
Gans belonged to the religious sect known as
Tunkers (from the German tunken, to dip,
more properly, German Baptists. He was a
preacher among them, and a man of considerable
influence. Quite a number of the same
denomination followed him from Pennsylvania, and
settled in central and eastern portions of the
county. The Tunkers are a peculiar people;
don't vote or have anything to do with politics;
avoid lawsuits, and in giving testimony, do not
swear, but always affirm. They are opposed
to war, and evade a draft. Usually wear
the hair and beard long from a sense of
religious duty, and the dress of both sexes is
always plain, and never changed to conform to a
popular fashion. As a class, they have not
had a very high appreciation of education,
especially an educated ministry, believing the
Lord would inspire. It was their custom to
hold preaching in barns. Latterly, they
have taken to church buildings of plain
construction, and favor a more liberal
The Mathias brothers, Daniel and Jacob
and their father, then a widower, came the same
year and from the same county in Pennsylvania as
did Gans; they settled on Section 14.
Unloading their cooking and farming utensils,
the families bivouacked under a tree,
until the men erected a cabin. In October,
1806, a child was born to Mrs. Daniel
Mathias. Henry Sanor made an opening
on the same section. He and Jacob
Mathias often told the story of hearing the
sound of a horn in the north, when the wind was
from that direction and how they were puzzled to
know whence it came, or what it meant. At
length they determined to find out. So one
Sunday morning, they started in the direction
they had heard the sound, and with an ax blazed
their course on both sides of trees they passed,
that they might be able to find their way back.
In this way, they proceeded between three and
four miles as they supposed, when they heard a
dog bark. Following this sound, they came
to the clearing and habitation of Jesse
Wileman, and his son Mahlon, which
place is now in Marlborough Township. They
had been there some weeks, and thinking there
must be other emigrants settling in the
vicinity, they bethought themselves of
occasionally blowing the horn, in order to
communicate to others their whereabouts.
At this period, Indians were roaming over the country,
and during the season of hunting and fishing, it
was their custom to camp along the creek.
They were inoffensive, but persistent beggars.
They were particularly fond of whisky, and when
once indulged with a taste, there was no
cessation to their importunities for more
"whisk," as they call it. Daniel
Mathias brought a keg of several gallons
from Pennsylvania. On the occasion of a
call from several of the tribe, he treated them
each to a drink. This soon spread among
the rest, and it was not long until he was
besieged by such numbers that his supply of the
stimulant was soon exhausted; nor would they
accept his statement that he had no more, until
he exhibited the empty keg, when they made
fruitless efforts to eke out a few more drops.
There was an Indian trail running east and west that
passed through the township. John
Thomas, a resident of Columbiana County, had
this trail widened so as to make it passable for
teams. It was afterward known as the "Thomas
Road, " and was the first highway through the
county. Much of the road still remains in
use from Lexington, via Freeburg and
Louisville, to Canton. Penticost &
Scott, reputed lawyers, but more properly
land speculators, laid out a town on this road,
on the southeast quarter of Section 28, and
called it "Nimishillentown." Daniel L.
McClure, the surveyor, made a beautiful plat
of the town, which was exhibited to everybody
east as the
county seat of the new county of Stark. It
was laid off in rectangular form, with wide
streets, a large square in the center intended
for the court house and jail, and other lots
appropriated for church and school purposes.
They erected a large story and a half log house,
which did not have a single piece of sawed
timber; all was split and hewn. The
enterprise proved a failure, mainly because it
was considered too far away from the center of
the county. The ground was level, had been
cleaned of all underbrush, and for years, during
the summer months, was a place of resort on
Sundays for the young men and boys living miles
around, to play ball and pitch quiots.
Henry Loutzenheiser and John Rupert,
brothers-in-law, from Westmoreland County,
Penn., came out in the summer of 1807, and, with
the help of a hireling, made a clearing on the
southwest quarter of Section 11, and erected a
cabin about twelve feet square. Rupert
made a clearing on the adjoining quarter,
and built a cabin the same year.
Loutzenheiser sold his land a few years
after to Martin Houser, who had been a
soldier in the war of the Revolution, and bought
the quarter section with all of Nimishellentown.
Michael Rupert, uncle of Henry
Loutzenheiser, married or lived with an
Indian squaw; she had by him several children.
His brother, Martin Rupert, and cousin,
Martin Houser, were both taken prisoners
during the Revolutionary war by the Indians,
while driving cattle to the army.
In 1825, Henry Loutzenheiser built the two-story
brick house yet standing in Louisville, the
first building of brick in the township.
For many years he kept tavern here, sign of the
spread eagle; the house was well known, and was
a popular stopping-place for travelers. At
that day, most of the traveling was on
horseback, and the usual charges for man and
beast over night - supper, breakfast and
lodging, and two horse feeds - was 50 cents.
The locality was known as "Loutzenheiser's,"
and was one of the places where "general muster"
was held at stated periods. John
Augustine was the General; David Bair,
of Paris Township, the Colonel, and Henry
Loutzenheiser, Major. Those were gala
days, both for old and young. The parade
usually closed with a few fights, and in the
evening there would be a dance.
Henry Loutzenheiser was the father of
twenty-five children, all living at one time;
the product of three wives.
Notwithstanding latter day achievements, this
feat stands unrivaled in the history of Stark
County. His first wife was Elizabeth
Rupert; second, Polly Hoover;
third, Polly Spangler. Daniel Brown,
living on Section 25, same township, was the
father of eighteen children. During the
summer of 1814, two of them, a boy and girl, the
former eight, and the latter ten, were lost in
the woods. They were sent to bring up the
cows. Taking a path which led in the
direction where the cattle were in the habit of
grazing, they came to were it forked. Here
they disputed which was the right path, and as
they would not agree, separated. It
appears both were mistaken as neither led in the
direction of the cattle. As a consequence,
both of the children wandered on until lost,
neither being able to find the way home.
The cattle returned without them. The
parents, becoming alarmed at their long absence,
started to find them. Night overtaking
them, they aroused the neighbors and everybody
that was able and could be spared turned out.
Through the long and dreary night they kept up a
din of noises by shouting and blowing horns, in
the hope of attracting the children, but no
response came. It was feared they had
fallen a prey to some wild beast, as at that
time there were bears, panthers and wolves
roaming the forest. Daylight came, and yet
no tidings. More persons were procured and
the search continued. About noon, the boy
was found at a cabin, in the eastern part of
Washington Township, which place he had reached
but a short time before. The girl was not
found until the second day, and when first seen
was in a thicket gathering berries, apparently
as unconcerned as though she had just left home.
When questioned about how she had spent the
nights, her reply was, that she had slept on a
bed of leaves. It appeared that she
anticipated being looked for, and was apparently
very little disconcerted.
Nimishillen Township was organized in 1809.
The early records are lost, so that it is
impossible to give a list of the first officers
elected. There are those still living who
remember Daniel Mathias as one of the
first Trustees, and Jacob Tombaugh as
first Constable. John Hoover was an
early Justice of the Peace. The
northeastern part of the township attracted the
most settlers, mainly because of the beautiful
timber. No larger chestnut and poplar
trees could be
found in the
county. The locality also abounded in
ginseng, large quantities of which were
collected and sold to the stores, from whence it
was shipped East. It was quite a source of
revenue, and at that time, there was a popular
belief that in China it was worth its weight in
The first grist and saw mill in the township was built
by John Eby in 1811, on Nimishillen
Creek, in Section 31. As the country
cleared up, and the supply of water began to
fall off, the power became insufficient, and
both the mills were finally abandoned.
Among the early settlers not already mentioned were
Mathias Bowers, and brother John; George
Wertenberger, Ulrich Shively, John Thomas
(the first blacksmith), Henry Breyfogle,
Henry Warner, John Eby, Michael Trump (the
first cabinet-maker and undertaker), John
Weller, Harman and Jacob Koontz, Dewalt
Bucher (the first tailor), Daniel, David
and John Brown (brothers), John Haney,
John Hildebrand, Jacob Baughman, William Hoover,
Jacob Tombaugh. Michael Ringer, Christian
Sollenberger, the Obenours, Hiveleys
and Warners. About the first
marriage was Abraham Metz to Sally
Shively. They were the parents of
Dr. Metz, of Massillon, who was born in this
The great eclipse of 1811, created quite a
consternation among the settlers. As they
had no previous knowledge of its approach they
were at a loss to account for the sudden
darkness. Some thought it indicative of an
earthquake; others, that it was the end of the
world. Mrs. Mathews was away from
home on that day, and, on her return, it began
suddenly to change from sunshine to darkness.
It soon became so dark, that she was unable to
see the path, and had to stop until the darkness
passed away. She was terribly frightened.
The falling stars of 1832, was another
phenomenon that seriously disturbed those who
had the opportunity of witnessing it. It
occurred between midnight and daylight, and
some, who were out engaged in business not
legitimate, regarded it as a manifestation of
Edward Carl, direct from "Ould Ireland," settled
in the township in 1811. He was a
shoemaker and tanner, and started the first
tanyard. The Moffit brothers, James,
Patrick, Richard and Thomas, early
settlers, were clever men, and influential.
They were the first Catholics, and frequently
held worship in private houses.
In the spring of 1826, five French families of Alsace,
by occupation agriculturists, gathered together
their household utensils and farming implements,
took ship at Havre de Grace, and, after a six
weeks' voyage, landed in New York. Before
the colony were ready to leave New York, one
family had only a single five-franc left, nor
were any of the rest in a condition financially
to help them, so the destitute family was
compelled to remain in the city, and engage in
work until they would earn sufficient to pay
their way farther West. The balance left
via Hudson River, New York & Erie Canal to
Buffalo, and thence by schooner to Cleveland, "a
small town on a hill," as described by one of
the company. Here the families remained a
month, quartered in a barn, while the men were
traversing the country; looking up a place to
settle. It was in the heat of summer, that
Theobald Frantz, the leader of the
colony, and one other approached Canton from the
north, when, at the first view of the town, he
saw the cross on St. John's Catholic Church, and
exclaimed "Je n'irai pas pllus loin; c'est
ici que j'ai trouce la premiere croix depuis que
nous avons quitte New York, et c'est ici, pres
de cette croix, que ju m'etablirai."
returned to Cleveland, and began making
preparations to move their families and goods
into Stark County. This was before the
construction of the Ohio Canal, and, as their
route was overland, and as they had brought
along wagons and harness from France, the first
business in order was the purchase of horses.
In these, they were shamefully swindled, as, of
the five purchased, not a single one could be
relied upon as a true puller. They would
all balk, and several were vicious kickers.
In the first efforts to break them to work,
Joseph Badeau was kicked in the bowels, from
the effects of which he died in a few hours.
Notwithstanding these misfortunes and all their
mishaps, they kept up courage and persevered.
In their trip to Canton, the horses in going up
a hill, would frequently balk and refuse to
pull, exhausting every effort to persuade them
to pull, and failing, there was no alternative
but to upload, and then all hands would assist,
and by dint of pushing and pulling succeed in
attaining the top of the hill, after which the
wagon had to be reloaded. They finally
reached Canton, and obtained possession of a
vacant house on East Tuscarawas street for the
families to occupy until the men could purchase
permanent homes. After reconnoitering the
country on foot and on horseback, Theobald
Frantz, Louis Garrot, Jean P. Moinet and the
widow of Joseph Badeau all settled in
Nimishillen Township, purchasing in Sections 10
and 15. One of the five, named Jonare,
purchased and settled in Jackson Township.
These were the first Catholic French who settled
in the county. There were a few Omish
(Mennonite) French in the county a year or two
before. The reports they wrote back to
their friends in France of their impressions of
this country induced others to follow, and among
the early French settlers of Nimishillen may be
François Bellot, Zeidor, Faufaunt, Pierre Cunira,
Perrot, Chenot, Gerandeau, Favier, Barlet,
Abadie, Garandot, Duprea, Favier, Cuniea, Adie
It should be mentioned that by the time the families
who came over first were settled, their money
was exhausted, and some were compelled to engage
in labor from home, in order to obtain means for
support. Frantz had eight children;
two of the girls worked out, and two of the boys
helped to dig the Ohio Canal, at $14 a month.
The father tramped out wheat for the neighbors,
for the tenth. Mrs. Badeau was
enciente at the time her husband was killed.
She invested her means in the purchase of
forty acres of land, and was working in the
clearing when taken in labor. In the
woods, without shelter and alone, she had her
child, now Frank Badeau, over fifty years
of age. He is probably the first Frenchman
born in the county.
There must be, at this time, several hundred French
families residing in Nimishillen Township,
forming an observable feature of the population.
As a class, they are industrious, social,
inclined to hilarity, law-abiding, honest, pay
their debts, and make good neighbors. They
readily assimilate with our native-born, and
about the third generation their distinctive
peculiarities are obliterated.
Harrisburg was the first town in the township. It
was laid out in 1827, by Jacob Harsh.
A lame man by the name of Patterson
brought the first store. Following him,
Jacob Wolfe and Jonas Hoover started
a store and tavern together. Wolfe
took special charge of teh tavern, and it is
said to have been kept not unlike the one run at
a later day, by his namesake in the West, of
which it is presumed our readers have heard.
David W. Rowan had a store in Harrisburg,
in 1832, and after him, H. H. Myers, both
from Canton. The early physicians of the
town were Dr. Abraham Stanley and Dr.
Soloman Shrive. Henry and Jacob Stambaugh,
both farmers, supplied the preaching in the
neighborhood. They belonged to the United
Brethren Church, and held worship in
schoolhouses and barns. Harrisburg was a
more important place and was more widely known
fifty years ago than it is now. The
railroad towns have drawn away the trade.
A post office was established under the name of
Barryville, May 18, 1830, and Jacob Wolfe
appointed Postmaster. It was called
Barryville because there was already a post
office in the State named Harrisburgg, and there
cannot, under the rules of the Post office
Department, by two offices of the same name in
the same State.
Louisville was located in 1834, by Henry
Loutzenheiser and Frederick Faint,
joint proprietors, as land belonging to each
constituted a part of the plat. It was
originally named Lewisville, after a son of
Loutzenheiser, but on application for a post
office it was ascertained there was already an
office of that name in the State, and at the
suggestion of the Post Office Department, the
orthography of the names was changed to
Louisville. The post office was
established Mar. 11, 1838, and Solomon A.
Gorgas made Postmaster.
The first organized church in the township was
Catholic. It should be mentioned that
before this, a building designed for a church
and schoolhouse was erected near Harrisburg,
through the united effected near Harrisburg,
through the united efforts of members belonging
to the Lutheran and Reformed Churches.
Services were held in this building at irregular
intervals, by both these denominations, but
there never was a legal organization of either.
There was a Methodist Church erected in
Harrisburg at an early period.
About 1836, a building was erected in Louisville, upon
land donated by James Moffit, under the
supervision of the Dominican Father at that time
in Canton. The first priest stationed in
Louisville was Rev. Mathias Wurtz, from
Loraine; next came Rev. L. de Goesbriand.
During his pastorate, the congregation consisted
of about forty French families, twenty German
and twelve Irish - in all about 400
communicants. During his stay the church
building was enlarged, a tower built and a bell
In 1846, Rev. P. Pendeprat officiated.
He remained four years, and was succeeded by
Rev. Marechal, who remained ut one year.
Then came Rev. L. F. D'Arcy, who was an
enterprising, liberal and zealous man, as he
built a schoolhouse, repaired the church and
improved the grounds around, spending his
private funds for the benefit of the
congregation. Rev. L. Hoffer, the
present incumbent, succeeded D'Arcy in
1861. Since his advent, an academy and
college has been erected, and the congregation
There were living in the township as early as 1836,
professors of religion who take the name of
"Brethren in Christ." Jacob
Sollenberger, and a neighbor by the name of
Rothrock, were among the first.
They did not have a building of their own until
a late period.
What is known as a Reformed Church was organized in
Louisville in 1863. The first members were
Jonathan Slusser and wife, Adam Fogle,
wife and daughters, Elenora and Emma,
John and Andrew Sell. The first
pastor was Abram Miller, who served five
years. He was succeeded by Joshua H.
Derr, who remained two and a half years.
Following him came J. J. Leberman,
who has continued since, now over eight years.
Number of communicants, 190.
The United Brethren have a church in Louisville, but
the statistics of their organization failed to
reach us in time for publication.
Nimishillen township has, up to the present time,
enjoyed but little of the county official
patronage, and that little was more in the way
of honor than profit. John Bowers
was County Commissioner from 1819 to 1826, when
the pay was from $20 to $25 a year, and no
perquisites. John Hoover served as
Associate Judge one term, and two terms as a
member of the Legislature, in 1822 and 1823.
At that time, the Legislature met on the first
Monday in December. With a few changes of
underclothing, packed in a pair of saddle-bags,
the member-elect would start from home on
horse-back a week before the opening of the
session. It would take him four or five
days to make the journey. Then he wanted
several days to look around for a boarding
house, and find a place to winter his horse.
Once settled, he never thought of leaving his
post of duty until the close of the session.
Such was the custom of our legislators in those
primitive days. Contrast them with the
Among the leading attractions of Louisville is the
woolen factory of Taylor & Stewart. It was
during the spring of 1872 that a joint stock
company was organized for the purpose of
establishing a woolen mill at that place.
The stockholders were C. L. Juilliard, H. T.
Finney, John WErner, Elias Essig, J. W.
Wertenerger, Dr. J. P. Shilling, L. T. Myers
and Edward Shilling. The mill was
erected at a cost of about $17,000, including a
35-horse power steam engine. The mill was
sold to William Taylor in 1877, and he
has remained the owner to the present.
Mr. Taylor took as a partner in the
business, William Flinn, and two years
afterward their connection was dissolved.
Owing to a desire on the part of Mr. Taylor
to retire from business, the factory was leased
to his son, John H., and John Stewart,
who have actively carried on the business ever
since. Under the management of Messrs.
Taylor & Stewart, the partnership has been
quite successful, producing a superior quality
of flannels and yarns. They are making the
manufacture of flannels a specialty, adhering to
the plan of producing pure woolen goods, and
this, no doubt, is one of the causes of their
success. Their fabrics are found in all
the leading dry goods houses of Stark and
adjoining counties. Although young men,
the proprietors of this establishment have, by
their undivided attention, made it one of the
best mills in the county, and one of the chief
attractions of the place in which it is
In 1868, D. M. Slusser and J. W. Wertenberger
commenced the manufacture of Ellis' patent
baskets in what is now the plaining-mill
of Essig & Shengle. After a
partnership of about eighteen months, Elias
Essig was admitted to the firm.
Shortly after this, Mr. Slusser withdrew,
and Wertenberger & Essig carried on the
business until they were succeeded by Essig &
Sluss. It is now in operation under
Essig & Hang in the same building in which
it first originated.
Elias Essig and Jacob Shengle formed a
partnership, in 1875, for the purpose of
establishing a planing-mill where Essig &
Hang have their basket factory. They
occupy a two-story frame building, 30x50, with
an engine-house and boiler room 18x30, also a
warehouse about 20x40 feet. They have all
the requisite machinery for carrying on their
business in its various branches, which is
operated by a 20-horse power steam engine.
They do a general lumber business, supply
building material, lath, shingles, sash, doors,
blinds, etc. The firm handle annually an
average stock of 600,000 feet of rough and
dressed lumber, 1,200,000 shingles, 1,300,000
lath, and they transact an annual business of
not less than $15,000. The wagon and
carriage shop of C. Bonnot & Son was
first started as a Champion Plow manufacturing
establishment by J. H. Penney, M. Gibbs
and Monroe Siberling, in 1871; but after
a short period, the business was discontinued.
In 1874, this building was leased to Keim,
Finney & Newhouse, who placed in the
proper machinery and commenced the manufacture
of linseed oil. In 1876, Julliard & Co.,
purchased the business, and this firm in turn
was succeeded by Keim & Sons in 1877.
Owing to a disadvantage in shipping together
with considerable breakage of machinery,
this firm discontinued the business in 1878, and
oil manufacturing in Louisville has not since
The flouring ill of S. Flickinger was
established in 1851 by Daniel Chapuis,
who conducted the business a number of years,
and was succeeded by Louis Faber, who in
turn was succeeded by Xavier Paumier.
After him, the mill passed into the hands of the
present owners, S. Flickenger and C.
A. Newhouse. This partnership
continued about ten years, when Mr. Newhouse
withdrew from the firm, and Mr. Flickinger
has since been sole owner and proprietor.
He is a first-class miller, and with the help of
his son, carries on a large trade of custom
Geib & Pontius have a large merchant mill now
under construction. This building will be
a two story frame engine room attached, 20x40
feet. There will be a run of five stone in
this mill; three for wheat, one for chop-feed,
and one for middlings, all to be operated by a
70-horse power steam engine. The resources
of the surrounding country will prove this to be
one of the leading mills of its kind in the
P. B. Moinet erected a brewery in 1865. He
was succeeded by George Dilger, in 1876,
who admitted Simon Menegay in 1878.
This firm turns out about about 2,000
barrels of beer per annum.
Brick manufacturing is carried on quite extensively by
A. V. Pontius, and Murley Dupont &
Co. These two yards keep employed a force
of about twenty-five men, and turn out a
superior quality of brick. The supply is
unequal to the demand.
Rogers & Warstler, druggists of the place,
manufacture the Peerless Condition Powders, a
drug that is considered, among leading stockmen,
the best of its kind in the market. It has
a wide sale, and is steadily growing in public
Besides the above, cigar making is carried on to a
considerable extent by Peter C. Newhouse, J.
C. Hartman, William Weber and Jacob S.
Oberdorff. Rinehart & Sons and C.
Bonnot & Sons manufacture and repair wagons,
buggies, etc. G. F. Baumann & Sons,
tin and copper smiths, dealers in stoves, etc.,
have a large run in roofing houses with slate
and tin. S. Paquelet deals in and
manufactures furniture, and J. G. Prenot
is the Louisville harness maker. There are
two hotels in the town - the Commercial and the
Washington House. The former is kept by
J. D. Baker, and the later by J. D. Baker,
and the latter by Geo. Nunamaker.
Both are doing well.
The place supports
two first-class livery stables; one owned by
Lycurgus Wilson, the other by Mathias
Walker. They both keep first-class
turnouts, and are reasonable in their charges.
The merchants of the place are Keim &
Sons and Pierson & Metzger,
hardware; Julius Thurin, Julius Schwob,
D. M. Sluss and L. F. Davis, dry
goods and groceries; D. M. Slusser and
J. M. D'Ostroph, groceries and provisions;
Shilling & Son and Rogers & Warstler,
druggists; Hannah Conrod and O. Clark,
restaurants. Mrs. A. Friday and
Slusser & McCoy supply the neighborhood with
millinery. Louisville Deposit Bank
was established the spring of 1881, by Keim
& Sons. They do a general banking
business. For the past ten years the
Keims have done more to build up the town
than any other firm. They are enterprising
and intelligent citizens, and a credit to the
town in which they reside. Taking in
consideration the wealth of the surrounding
country, and the enterprise of the citizens of
the town Louisville can truly be said to be one
of the leading towns of its size in the State.
Its present officers are - Mayor, J. H.
Penney; Clerk, R. T. Rothrock;
Treasurer, Joseph Moinet; Marshal, C.
Gaume; Street Commissioner, M. S.
Stambaugh; Councilmen, C. L. Juilliard,
Elias Essig, Lewis Newbauer, A. Poupney, L. P.
Menegay and N. Bonvolot.