Howland, the fourth township in the third range, lies
east of the adjoining township of Warren, between it and Vienna.
Barzetta is north and Weathersfield south of it. The city
limits of Warren encroach slightly upon its western line.
The Mahoning river cuts across a small corner in the
southwest of Howland. Mosquito creek, here a stream of
considerable size, flows through the township from north to
south, dividing its surface into two very nearly equal portions.
The land is rolling. On the east side of the creek is a
crest of considerable height rises gradually being two hundred
feet above the level of the stream, and on the west side about
one hundred and fifty.
East of the creek the soil is somewhat sandy and
gravelly; on the west side it contains more or less clay.
The improvements in this township are very marked. Good
farms, with many costly and beautiful houses, large and
convenient barns, well-fenced fields and carefully tilled
gardens, show that the residents of this township are possessed
of wealth, enterprise and good taste.
The towns of Warren and Niles afford convenient and
ready markets, and abundant railroad privileges for farmers and
shippers of produce. Real estate is constantly
appreciating in value. No agricultural community in
Trumbull county is more fortunate in its location than Howland
Excepting one family, the first settlers of Howland were
The honor of making the first settlement in this
township belongs to Captain John H. Adgate, who
penetrated the wilderness of this section, bringing his family
with him in 1799. He owned one thousand six hundred acres
of land in the southewest of the township and here he built the
first cabin and made the first clearing. Captain
Adgate's children were Salley, Belinda, Caroline, John
H., Nancy, Charles Ulysses and James. Benoni
Ockrum, a Strockbridge Indian, also lived with this family.
John H., Jr., remained some years on the old
homestead, then moved away. Several of his sons reside in
Soon after Captain Adgate came John Earl,
Michael Peltz, John Daily, James Ward, John Reeves, Jesse Bowell,
John Ewalt, and Joseph Quigley, most of whom made
permanent settlement in 1802.
JOHN EARL settled on the farm now owned by C.
Milliken. Sixteen strong, active, and healthy boys and
girls were his children. The sons were Ebeezer, Edward,
Moses, John, George, Washington, William and Charles.
There were eight daughters. Our informant remembers the
name of seven of them - Rebecca, Susan, Betsey, Nancy, Mary,
Sarah, and Olive. The father moved to Lordstown
after several years' residence here.
MICHAEL PELTZ, a genuine specimen of the
genus homo commonly denominated Dutchmen, moved away about
1814, or soon after. He acted as a drummer on several
there were military parades. It is related
that when the first tidings of the opening movements of the War
of 1812 reached Howland Michael got hold of the news.
Not knowing what was meant by it he determined to consult the
'squire, who he doubtless supposed held the concentrated wisdom
of the township, and having found 'Squire Heaton he
asked: "'Squire, vat dey means by all dis talk, eh?
Have de Pritishers done some dinks pad?" Like every Heaton
the 'squire was fond of a joke, and answered the Dutchman thus:
"Yes, bad enough, I think. They have set Lake Erie on fire
and burned the whole it." Michael believed the
'squire - who would question a statement from such an authority?
- and with his eyes distended with astonishment when home to his
"frau" and narrated to her the wonderful doings of "de
Pritishers." "You old fool," said she, "you tinks the
Pritishers can purn up a lake? A lake is wasser! Go
out and feed dem pigs." And crestfallen and humbled he obeyed.
JESSE BOWELL moved from Green county,
Pennsylvania, to Howland in 1801 or 1802. He married
Rebecca Hank, and they had the following children:
Calvin, David, John, Bazil, Hannah, Rebecca and Jesse.
Mr. Bowell went to the War of 1812, and returned home to die
soon after. Mrs. Bowell afterwards married John
Cherry, from Washington county, Pennsylvania, a Howland
settler of 1807, and had by him two children, Daniel and
Margaret. Three members of this family are now
living, John Bowell, in Washington county, Pennsylvania;
Daniel Cherry, in Howland, and Mrs. Margaret
Mason, Weathersfield. David died young; the
others all reached years of maturity. Bazil, Jesse,
and Hannah (Luse) died in Niles; Rebecca (Luse)
died in Illinois; Calvin died in Mahoning county.
Mr. Cherry died in 1846, aged sixty-three; Mrs. Cherry
in 1864 at the age of eighty-seven.
JOHN DAILEY settled on the Kinsman farm, but
moved away early.
JAMES WARD did not remain later than 1814.
JOHN REEVES, Sr. was a permanent settler, having
located on lot twelve in 1803. His son John still
lives upon the old farm. Other sons were Jesse, Abner,
Ephraim, and Samuel Q. There were three
daughters, Sarah, Eugenia, and Nancy.
JOHN EWALT settled on the farm which is now the
property of his son Harris. He reared a good sized
family. Harris, and Z. T., of Howland;
Jacob, of Bazetta, and John, who resides near
Pittsburg, are his sons. One of the daughters, Mrs.
Abigail Wainright is also living in Pittsburg.
JOSEPH QUIGLEY settled on the
Deacon Smith farm, now the Ratliff farm, but removed away early.
WILLIAM KENNEDY in 1805 settled on the farm now
belonging to Ebenezer Brown. He was a miller, and
worked in Warren, Liberty, and other parts of the county.
His son Samuel M. lived and died in Howland.
Another son, William A., is still living in the township.
DR. JOHN W. SEELY in 1806 settled where Milo
McCombs now lives. This farm was first improved by
Jesse Bowell about 1802. Among Dr. Seely's sons
were Richard L., Dr. Sylvanus, and William.
ISAAC HEATON and JAMES, his brother,
settled in the southeastern part of Howland in 1805.
James sold out to Abraham Drake and went to
Weathersfield. Isaac, universally known to the
settlers as 'Squire Heaton, lived and died in Howland.
He had but two children - a daughter, Maria, and a son,
Dr. Heaton, who practiced in Warren and distinguished
success. 'Squire Heaton, being the magistrate of
the township, of course had many disputes to settle. But
he always strove to adjust matters and have the disputants
settle their difficulty, if possible, without resorting to legal
proceedings. Once a young lawyer from Warren took
exception to one of the 'squire's rulings and said to him, "Why,
'squire, that isn't law~" "Law, Law? what do I care
about law? All the law I want is here," returned the
'squire laying his hand upon his old leather-covered Bible.
He was a man of good judgment and sound common sense, though of
ABRAHAM DRAKE settled in 1805. His sons
were Abraham, Jacob, Aaron, and George, all of
whom are dead. Jacob lived on the old homestead.
Abraham and Aaron also resided in the township.
George moved to Wooster.
BARBER KING settled in 1806. He was from
Massachusetts and was the only Yankee of the settlement.
He had five sons: Jonathan, James, Samuel, William, and David B., and two daughters, Anna and
Sarah. The sons all settled,
lived, and died in this
vicinity. Sarah is still living. William
lived on the old homestead, where his son James F. now
WILLIAM WILSON in 1806 settled on land now owned
by James F. Kennedy. He moved away about 1812.
THOMAS CROOKS, another settler of 1806, died
early. His widow brought up the family, which was a large
one. Thomas, Robert and John, her
sons remained in Howland, and died here. William
died in Bazetta. Henry and Samuel moved
away. There were also two daughters.
WILLIAM MEDLEY, an early settler in the
northeast of the township, had a family of sixteen children.
One of his sons still resides in Bazetta, and one in Vienna.
Other members of his family are scattered widely.
JOHN and URIAH WILLIAMS
were settlers of 1803. Uriah lived in the southeast
of the township, near the springs. His son John,
still living, is one of the oldest residents of Howland.
One daughter, Mrs. Drake, is still living in
JOHN WILLIAMS lived on
the Perkins farm, west of the creek. His sons were
Joseph and Benjamin.
In 1812 the commissioners of Trumbull county organized township
four, range three, into a separate township and election
district. Who the first township officers were cannot be
learned, as the early records have been lost. Howland was
named from the purchaser, James Howland, who
paid $24,000 for Howland and Green townships.
FOOD AND CLOTHING OF PIONEERS.
Fortunate indeed was it for the pioneers that they possessed
the rare quality, contentment, which the luxurious tastes of
modern times have in no small measure destroyed. They were
enabled to live up to that sound precept of Horatian philosophy
which advises men to "preserve an equal mind in adversity," and
blessed with such a mind, they were thankful in prosperity and
patient under afflictions. At their rude firesides they
ate the bread which their toil had earned, and though it was
coarse, it was wholesome, and far ahead of many articles of
modern cookery in nutritious qualities. Plenty of exercise
rendered digestion healthy, and good appetites made every
article of food relish.
Corn-bread was a staple article of food - would that it
still were. Johnny-cake, as it was called, was usually
baked in this wise: the dough having been spread on a smooth
board, kept especially for this purpose, was placed before the
hot, roaring fire, and some young member of the family directed
to watch it. The side next the fire would quickly bake,
then the board was turned around and the other side received the
heat in turn. Careful tending and a good fire soon
finished the job, and the johnny cake, beautifully browned and
steaming hot, was placed upon the table with good fresh milk in
bowls, and big spoons. There was a supper fit for a king.
Potatoes, buckwheat cakes, or biscuits, often venison
and sometimes bear steak, were about the only kinds of food,
always excepting the johnny cake. Dutch ovens were perhaps
the most useful kitchen utensils - excepting the johnny-cake
board. The Dutch oven was an iron kettle which was
provided with a cover capable of holding a heap of fire coals.
The oven was placed upon the coals, and the heat thus applied to
both top and bottom usually resulted in what housekeepers called
a good bake, while none of the savory odors of the cooking food
could escape. Stoves, ranges, and all others modern
improvements in kitchen utensils are good and useful enough, yet
probably as well-tasting dishes were prepared in Dutch ovens as
any now produced by masters of the culinary art.
In the matter of clothing, too, eighty years have
wrought wonderful changes. During the first years of this
settlement every article of clothing worn by men, women, and
children was manufactured in the homes of the wearers.
Mr. John Ratliff, son of the Howland pioneer, says that
until he was sixteen years of age he never saw a dress-coat of
broadcloth or similar material upon any man.
Every farmer kept a few sheep, the wool of which was
carded, spun, and woven by the hands of the female members of
the family. Cotton was bought just as it was taken from
the bale, carded with hand cards, and spun into warp.
Wool, after undergoing similar processes, made the filling, and
the cloth made from these two materials in old-fashioned looms
was cut and made into garments for winter wear. Long
frocks reaching below the knee were made for men and boys.
Butternut bark of
the bark of some other tree furnished the dy-stuff
which was used in coloring the cloth.
Summer clothing was usually made from cloth of tow and
linen warp and cotton filling. Why did not women buy
calico for dresses? Perhaps it is sufficient answer to
this question to state that calico was fifty cents per yard and
butter only six cents a pound. These home-made garments
were worn to church and all other gatherings. Could a lady
in a fashionable suit such as are now worn have been seen among
the country maids and matrons of those days, she would have
seemed like a creature from another land if not from another
Buckskin was considerably worn by men; but as it was
usually but imperfectly tanned, after a short season of use and
a few wettings it became stiff and hard and had to be laid
The first school-house was built on the 4th of July near were
Ward lived, on lot eighteen. A term of school was
taught in it the same year by Ruth Alford. This old
building was a simple structure of logs. Its benches were
rude and primitive, formed from slabs without backs or other
appliances for the rest of the arms and body. Boards upon
wooden pins driven into the wall formed the pupils writing desk.
In those days a boy or girl, after a hearty breakfast of johnny-cake
and bacon, required no support for an aching back - a thing to
them unknown. And as for comfortable heating furnaces, to
dry wet clothing or warm cold fingers and cold feet, these were
provided in the shape of a huge fire-place which extended
entirely across one side of the house. This was kept in
full blast by long, heavy logs, which were rolled into it from
time to time. The simplicity of this style of heating
apparatus, however, yielded after a while to the aristocratic
notions of Mr. Heaton, who supplied the building with a
rudely formed cast-iron stove, manufactured at Heaton's
Other log-houses were built early, among them one in
the northwest of the township, and another in the King
neighborhood. John Ewalt taught in the former about
1812. About 1814 Montgomery Anderson taught in the
One after another, as they were needed, buildings for
school purposes were erected until ten had been built in the
township. Not many years ago the township was
redistricted, and now there are in all but six school-houses,
three on each side of Mosquito creek.
religious meeting in this township, or the first in which a
sermon was preached, was held at the house of John Reeves
in 1803. A Baptist minister conducted the services.
Rev. Joseph Curtis, pastor of the Warren church,
organized a Presbyterian church about 1815, with thirteen
members. In 1820 a log building was erected in the
northeast of the township, which served both as church and
school-house. In this building a Methodist church of about
ten members was organized in 1821. After Rev. Curtis
left Warren, the Presbyterian organization ceased to exist.
We cannot learn that the Methodists ever had regular preaching
The Disciples' church of Howland was organized in 1828.
The Drake family, Jacob, Simeon, Aaron, and
George, were its mainstay and support. They were
devout and sincere Christians of noble character. In 1830
this denomination built a church edifice near the forks of the
road on Simeon Drake's farm, at a cost of about $3,000.
The only church building in the township at present was erected
by the Disciples in 1862, at the center, and cost about $1,700.
Among the early and faithful laborers in the Disciples' church
were the preachers Campbell, father and son, Scott,
Bentley, Hayden, Bentley, Henry, Bosworth, Hartzell, and
others. The proximity of Howland to Warren accounts for
the fewness of churches.
About the year 1806, Dr. John W. Seeley settled in this
township and began the practice of medicine. He was a
competent physician, and skilled, especially in surgery.
Genial and affable toward every one, he sustained an honorable
reputation and lived a useful life. For many years he had
a large practice throughout this part of the county, and his
memory is still revered by those who knew him. Soon after
the opening of the canal he was seized with an apoplectic fit,
and died at Akron while on a journey. His son, Dr.
Sylvanus Seely, continued the practice of his father,
residing in Howland, and afterwards in Warren. His death
was from the same disease which carried off his father.
first child born in this township was Samuel Q. Reeves,
March 10, 1804.
The first marriage was in 1803, when Jack Legg
and Conny Ward embarked upon the sea fo matrimony.
'Squire Loveless performed the ceremony.
It is not remembered who built the first frame house.
The first frame barn was erected by Barber King in 1822
on the farm now owned by his son Franklin. The
second frame barn was built in 1826 by John Ratliff.
Both are still standing.
Dr. Seely built a stone dwelling house in the
southeast of the township at an early date.
The first store was opened about 1831 by John
Collins, at the corners.
Isaac Heaton was the first justice of the peace
in this township.
In its early history, this part of Trumbull county was
represented in the State Legislature by Dr. John W. Seely.
Howland has also furnished the following county officers:
John Ratliff, associate judge; John Reeves,
treasurer; Z. T. Ewalt, treasurer; and Harris
Ewalt, infirmary director.
Here, as in
other portions of the county, the great snow storm of February,
1818, occasioned great inconvenience and some hardships.
Houses were rendered almost invisible; traveling was almost
impossible; and even for the farmer to get from his cabin to his
barn became an undertaking involving no small amount of labor.
Fortunately wood was plenty and good fires cost nothing.
If people had depended upon stores for their supplies of food in
those days, what suffering and famine this storm would have
Perhaps the wild animals suffered more than the
inhabitants. Deer could scarcely move through the
snow-drifts to their usual haunts, and the prowling wolf became
nearly famished while engaged in a fruitless search for prey.
WILD ANIMALS AND HUNTS.
In early times bears and wolves were very plenty, and stock had
to be carefully watched to save it from destruction. Sheep
had to be kept closely penned at night, for they might as well
have been slaughtered by their owners as to be left in a place
where it was possible for bears or wolves to reach them.
Mr. Ratcliff one morning turned out his sheep, and before
they had gone more than a few rods from his house a wolf was
among the flock and soon had a sheep down. At night the
howling was sometimes frightful. In one part of the forest
a wolf would raise a cry, those near him would repeat it at
intervals, others farther away would answer, and soon the sounds
became so loud, so terribly dismal, that to the mind of a
superstitious person who had never before heard them, they would
have suggested that pandemonium must be close at hand.
With so many fierce wild animals in the forest one
would almost think it strange that men were not oftener attacked
by them; but the reason for the comparative good behavior of the
bears and wolves is to be found in the abundance of wild game
which then inhabited the woods. Wild turkeys, partridges,
and other of the feathered tribe, as well as rabbits and other
small animals were frequently captured by their stealthy
enemies; and only a desire to regale their palate with a taste
of pork or mutton enticed the beasts of prey from their haunts
toward the settlers' clearing. They came to know that the
white man's rifle was a deadly weapon,,, and doubtless he was
more feared on this account; for whether beasts reason or not,
it is certain that they observe and remember.
Next to wolves and bears the settlers were annoyed by a
wild hog - once domesticated but now a savage - which made sad
havoc in the cornfields along the creek bottom. He had
long been at large, and the amount of mischief he caused assumed
such magnitude that it was determined that he ought to be
exterminated. To effect this a grand hunt was undertaken
by men and boys with dogs. The hog was routed without
difficulty, and then began an exciting chase. At length he
was run into a swamp, and then ensued a desperate encounter with
the dogs, in which he succeeded in killing three or four of
them. At last he was captured, and, after the tusks had
been knocked out, allowed to escape. A few days thereafter
it appears that he was attacked by a bear, and from the
appearance of the ground upon which they had fought, the
conflict must have been a terrible one. Both were victors;
hog and bear were found dead a short distance
from each other on
the scene of conflict. Bearishness and hoggishness,
obstinacy and fortitude had met; the result satisfied man, their
Hogs and cattle were allowed the freedom of the woods.
One night in the spring of 1812 as John Ratliff was
driving his hogs into the pen he discovered that one was
missing. Suspecting that it had gone to satisfy the hunger
of a bear he sent for his neighbor, Noah Bowen, quite a
noted bear hunter, and the next morning Bowen, Ratliff
and his son John started into the woods, following the
tracts made by the hogs, to discover and punish the cause of the
mischief. Bowen's best dog soon got on tract of the
bear and began to bark. "The dog is pretty near him," said
Bowen, as the barking increased. The three hastened
after the dog, and having followed about a mile discovered the
bear high up in a tree, sixty or sixty-five feet from the
ground, resting upon a limb. Bowen brought his
rifle to bear, putting a bullet through the animal's eye.
From his lofty perch the bear fell tumbling to the earth, dead.
He was a huge, heavy fellow, over three hundred and fifty pounds
Doubtless the pioneers of Howland thought that they had enough
disadvantages to contend with, even when in the full enjoyment
of health and strength. But in the winter of 1811-12 many were
attacked by a raging epidemic fever. Among those who fell
victims to this scourge and died were Mrs. William Anderson,
Mrs. John Cherry, and three sons of the Norris family.
Much suffering and anxious watching was endured in many a
household, even where the disease did not result fatally.
raising of a log barn on the Perkins farm, in 1811, for a
man named Bentley, Lawyer Webb, of Warren,
was the victim of a severe and most painful accident. He was a
young man and had just come to Warren from the East, and in
company with others attended the raising to see the fun. The
walls of the barn were up and material was being raised for the
roof by means of long poles or "skids," upon which the timbers
were slid upward; each end of the log being in a forked stick
was raised simultaneously by the builders. The skids had been
peeled in order to facilitate the work of getting the
weight-poles to the top. A log which was being raised thus
suddenly slipped out of the fork, which held one end and came
down rapidly. Webb was beneath and saw it falling. He ran
backward to get out of the danger, but fell over a log lying
upon the ground and the descending weight struck one of his
legs, breaking it in a frightful manner, so that the bone
protruded from the flesh. Dr. Seely was summoned,
and found it necessary to amputate the limb above the knee.
Another accident, which came near being a fatal one,
occurred about 1835. One Sunday in that year Archibald
Reeves went into the woods hunting. In the course of his
rambles he discovered a spot where, evidently, a bear had been
at work, tearing a rotten log and scratching the earth. While
examining these traces he heard a sudden noise like the cracking
of. a twig or the shell of a nut, and, peering through the
bushes discovered a small patch of long black hair, moving about
slightly among the twigs. Supposing of course that the hairy
object was a part of the body of a bear, he took aim and
discharged his rifle. The dimly outlined form fell, and much to
Reeves' surprise, cries of a human being in distress
reached his ears. He hastened to the spot, and discovered that,
instead of a bear, he had shot his neighbor, John
Rutledge, who, unbeknown to Reeves, was likewise
engaged in a Sunday bear-hunt. Rutledge was helpless, and
to all appearance mortally wounded. Aid was summoned and he was
borne to the nearest house. Dr. John B. Harmon, of
Warren, was sent for to attend to the sufferer. When he arrived,
he ordered Rutledge's frock and shirt to be removed, and
this being done, the bullet dropped out of the clothing upon the
floor. It was found upon examination that the ball had struck
the shoulder-blade, then glancing had passed around to the front
of the body and passed out through the flesh of the upper arm.
Dr. Harmon said that if the bullet had struck a
very little lower a fatal wound must have been the consequence.
He dressed the shoulder and, in due time, the wounded man
The first mill, a rude affair, of very limited capacity, was
built about 1815, by Septimus
Cadwalader, on a small branch of Mosquito creek in the
northern part of the township. No one would now judge that the
water-power was ever sufficient to run a mill. The mill was of
logs, small, and provided with but one run of stones. Though it
could do but little work and that little very imperfectly, yet
this mill was a great convenience to the settlers for some ten
or fifteen years, until the establishment of other and better
mills in this vicinity caused it to be deserted by customers.
The first saw-mill was built in 1814 by Samuel
Kennedy, and was located on the same stream. It was
remodeled several times, and is now owned by James
Kennedy. It has not done any work for several years.
West of Mosquito creek in the northwest of the township, and
underlying the surface is an extensive bed of flag-stone of the
best quality. This stone bed runs nearly the whole length of the
township, from north to south, beginning with the Austin quarry
and extending through the Ewalt and Davis quarries
south of it. This stone is most valuable, being among the best
to be found anywhere in the country. The strongest acid will not
affect it, and its hardness is so great that it wears but
slowly. The rock is found at depths ranging from eight to twelve
feet below the surface in the Austin quarry, but in other
portions of the bed it comes much nearer the top of the ground.
Generally there are three layers of the stone with shale rock or
soap-stone between. The hardest of the stone lies deepest. After
being exposed to the atmosphere the rock hardens very rapidly.
Warren is especially fortunate in having this valuable
natural deposit of flagstone so near. The sidewalks of this
beautiful little city are mostly laid with this material. The
stone splits or shales into thicknesses of three to five inches,
and can readily be broken into pieces of such length and width
as are desired. Its surface is usually quite smooth.
Of the quarries operated that of Messrs. Austin &
Co. is the most extensive, and affords employment to several
men throughout the year. The stone from this quarry is much used
in this part of the State, and makes sidewalks of unsurpassed
excellence and durability. Besides the large flagstones material
is here found for paving, gutter, and cross-walk stones. The
supply is great, and it will take many years to exhaust it.
The Howland springs are located on a tract of land
originally owned by John Hank, a settler who came
from Pennsylvania in 1802. He bought the ground, made some
improvements, and afterwards sold to Dr. John W. Seely.
The property has since changed owners several times, and is now
owned by Shedd Brothers, of Youngstown, who have
improved and beautified the grounds, making the place quite a
noted summer resort. Good buildings and accommodations for
pleasure-seekers attract many visitors each summer. The water of
the springs is believed to possess medicinal and health-giving
JAMES FRANKLIN KING
NOTES OF SETTLEMENT:
JOHN REEVES, SR., came from Westmoreland county,
Pennsylvania, in the fall of 1803, and purchased the well known
Reeves homestead farm, being part of lots twelve and
thirteen, Howland township. He moved in the spring of 1804 and
settled on this farm, having brought his goods down the
Monongahela and up the Ohio, Beaver, and Mahoning rivers in a
common canoe. He was born June 5, 1781, and died in 1851; was
married April 16, 1801, to Miss Sarah Quinby,
who was born April 30, 1786. Their children were Arthur,
Samuel, Abner, Jesse, Ephraim Q., Joseph P.,
John, Lewis, Sarah (now Mrs. Reno, of
Chicago), Eugenia (now Mrs. Little, of Chicago), Nancy
(now Mrs. I. N. Dawson, of Warren), and Hannah B.,
deceased. John Reeves, Jr., the seventh child, was born
Tuesday, March 21, 1815, and was married in 1839 to Harriet
Mason, who was born September 11, 1820. To them were born
the following children: Ellesif, Abner M., Sarah,
Mary, James, and John. Mr. Reeves was
elected treasurer of Trumbull county in 1856, and served two
years; has been several times elected justice of the peace of
his township. During the late war he was actively engaged in
enlisting soldiers, having recruited company B, One Hundred and
Fifth Ohio volunteer infantry, in about nine days, and of which
he was commissioned captain. He is now one of the well known,
leading men of his township, engaged as a farmer on the
was born in Vienna township in 1818, and was married
first in 1840 to Ann King, who was born in 1820,
and died in 1852. To them was born Kennedy K. in 1841.
Mr. Andrews was again married in 1854 to Esther
Ann Kennedy, who was born in 1836. Their children were
Daniel and Anna, both deceased, and Linda now
living at home. He has been mostly engaged as a farmer and
dealer in Durham cattle; also buying and selling horses, and was
previously engaged in the dairy business. He settled on the farm
on which he has since resided, in 1843, where he now lives in
the retired enjoyment of the fruits of a busy life.
was born February 6, 1818, on the farm on which his son James
now lives. He was married in 1839 to Phoebe King,
who was born in 1821. To them were born the following children:
Mary, William (who died in the army in Kentucky in
1862), and James, and Josiah. Mr.
Ratliff has been mostly engaged as a farmer, but has served
as a supervisor for a number of years. About 1865 he began
quarrying stone in the quarry which he afterwards sold to the
Harmon Austin Stone company.
was born in 1845, and was married to Barbara Snair,
who was born in 1846. To them were born the following children:
William, John, Anna (deceased), and
Judson. Mr. Ratliff has been engaged in
various occupations—working in stone quarry, farming, and is now
engaged with his brother Josiah in operating the steam
saw-mill. He is known as one of the rising young men of this
township, throughout which he is well and popularly known.
was born in 1847 and married to Eliza Wilson, who
was born in 1847. Their children are as follows: Mina and
Bertie. He enlisted in 1864 in the One Hundred and
Ninety-sixth Ohio volunteer infantry, and served about one year,
doing garrison duty at Fort Delaware, and in the Shenandoah
valley. Mr. Ratliff returned from the army and
settled to the peaceful pursuits of a farmer's life in Howland
township. He has served his township as trustee, and at present
is engaged with his brother James in running the steam
saw mill near their residence in the northwest part of the
JOHN REEVES, SR.,
was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, June 6, 1781;
married April 16, 1801, Sarah Quinby, who was born
in Washington county, Pennsylvania, April 30, 1786. They moved
to Howland in the spring of 1803, he having been out the fall
previous and purchased one hundred and sixty acres in lot
twelve. He brought his goods by water in a canoe down the
Monongahela and Ohio to Beaver, thence up the Beaver and
Mahoning to Warren, while his wife made the journey on
horseback. During the War of 1812 Mr. Reeves was
drafted but furnished a substitute. Shortly afterward he removed
to Washington county, Pennsylvania, where he kept a tavern on
the National pike some three years. He returned again to the
farm but did not remain long, removing to and residing in Beaver
county, Pennsylvania, about three years. He then moved to
Sharon, Mercer county, where he operated a carding machine,
grist and saw-mill some three years. He then returned to the
farm where he lived until his death November 20, 1851, aged
seventy years. His wife lived until February 3, 1880, aged
ninety-three years and nine months.
Provisions were very scarce in the early settlement,
and on one occasion Mr. Reeves went to Beaver to procure them,
leaving his wife with a child and a neighbor's girl to take care
of the stock. On a very dark night during his absence the wolves
attacked the small flock of sheep near the barn, some ten rods
from the house, killing all but one, which Mrs. Reeves
courageously rescued from the rapacious beasts. She, with the
aid of the girl, pulled the wool from the dead sheep and
afterwards carded and spun it, and had it woven into coverlets,
some of which still remain as relics in the family.
--------MORE ON JOHN REEVES, SR. ----------------------
JAMES BOLIN was
born in Weathersfield, Trumbull county, Ohio, December 7, 1819 ;
son of John and Delilah (Williams) Bolin. John Bolin
came to Ohio in 1817, settling in Weathersfield, and cleared
up the place now owned by his sons James and John.
He raised a family of five children, three of whom survive—James,
John, and Mrs. Maria Kyle. He died
in January, 1841. His wife came to Trumbull county with the
family of James Heaton in 1801. James
Bolin married, January 3, 1844, Miss Elizabeth
Drake, who was born in Pennsylvania March 7, 1812. They
have one son and two daughters, as follows: Warren S.,
born December 28, 1845 ; Candace, September 19, 1847; Maria E.,
wife of William Van Wye of Weathersfield,
June 4, 1851. In the spring of 1861 Mr. Bolin
settled on the place where he now lives, in Howland, on which
Samuel Drake settled about 1816.
born in Weathersfield, Trumbull county, February 3, 1818, son of
James McCombs. He removed to Howland township in the fall
of 1855, settling on the place now owned by his son Nelson J.,
the old Dr. Seely place. He married for his first wife
Harriet Nelson, who died in 1851, and in 1853 he
married Rebecca Hake, who is still living.
He died in June, 1879. Nelson J., his oldest son, was
born in Weathersfield June 24, 1842, and married, October 4,
1870, Miss Charlotte Sowers, born in
Cuyahoga county in March, 1843, and has a son and a daughter—Harry
C., born October 27, 1873, and Mary Bell November 23,
was born in Howland township October i, 1806. His father,
Uriah Williams, was a native of Pennsylvania, where he was
married. He came to Ohio with his family in 1801 and settled in
Howland on the farm now occupied by his son John. The
family consisted of three sons and seven daughters, of whom
three are living. His death occurred in 1814. John was
the youngest son. He was raised on the farm and his father's
death threw upon him at an early age considerable responsibility
in the management of the place. He obtained a good education for
that time, and taught school one term. He was married in 1842 to
Miss L. Scott, by whom one son, Lewis, was
born December 13, 1852; a carpenter by trade. Mrs.
Williams died January 3, 1865. He was married again
September 13, 1866, to Mrs. Elizabeth Kyle,
daughter of James W. Russell, who was an early settler in
Austintown. By her first husband Mrs. Williams had one
child—Laura E. Kyle, wife of M. L. Hyde. Mr. Williams
settled on his present farm in 1842. He was active during the
war in the Union cause.
Z. T. EWALT was born
in Howland township September 6, 1816. His father, John
Ewalt, was born in New Jersey in 1776, came to Ohio in
1801, and settled in Howland township in 1802 on the place now
owned by his son, Harris Ewalt, where he died about 1858.
His family consisted of ten children, five of whom are living.
He was a member of the Society of Friends, as was also his wife.
Z. T. Ewalt was reared on his father's farm and
resided at home until twenty-seven years old. He spent the year
1841 in the West. He was married April 20, 1843, to Belinda
Adams, who was born in Little Beaver, Pennsylvania,
September 6, 1823. Their family consists of six children, four
of whom are still living, viz: John A., Madison county,
Ohio, a Presbyterian minister; Z. T., Jr., resides in
Howland; Florence I., wife of S. B. Reed, resides
in Windham, Portage county; Olive B., resides in Howland.
Mr. Ewalt settled on his present farm in 1843. He
has filled several township offices, including justice of the
peace, to which he was first elected in 1863, and served twelve
years; was county coroner eight years, and again elected justice
of the peace in 1881. In politics he was a Whig and is now a
WILLIAM W. KENNEDY,
the only son of Samuel M. and Tabitha Kennedy, was born
in Howland township, March 27, 1836. His father, Samuel
Kennedy, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, in
1798. He came to Ohio with the family and settled in Howland
township. His family consisted of two children—William W. and
Mrs. Ann E. Gilbert, who resides on the homestead.
Samuel Kennedy was much esteemed as a neighbor and citizen.
He died February 21, 1875. William W. Kennedy married,
September 25, 1877, Miss Addie Ewing, by
whom one son was born—Samuel E. Mrs. Kennedy died August
6, 1878. Mr. Kennedy was married again April 19,
1882, to Miss Barbara Jones. He resides on
the homestead in Howland.
JOHN LANE was born
in Austintown, Mahoning county, Ohio, May 29, 1812; married,
February, 1840, Miss Anna Westover, and soon after was
appointed superintendent of the county infirmary, filling that
position some three years. He purchased a farm in Champion,
where he lived some thirty years, with the exception of a year
and a half in Vienna. In 1870 he purchased the Simeon Drake
farm, where he afterwards lived. He had a family of four
children. Austin W., born February 20, 1841, enlisted, in
1861, in the Fourteenth Ohio battery, and was in the battle of
Shiloh. Being prostrated by sickness he was soon removed to
Cincinnati under the care of his father. He died April 29, 1862.
Chester, born March 5, 1843, died September 7, 1844.
Frank B., born April 2, 1855, died October 20, 1859.
Irenus L., the only survivor, was born in Champion township,
January 3, 1853. He attended a normal school at Orwell, and
Hiram college some five terms; also took a commercial course at
Eastman's Commercial college, Poughkeepsie, New York. In the
spring of 1875 he took charge of the home place. He married,
June 8, 1876, Miss Maggie D., daughter of Adam
Dawson, of Howland.
was born in Essex county, New York, July 31, 1814. His parents
were Jonathan and Betsey (Leonard) Folsom.
Jonathan, Sr., was a native of New Hampshire, born April 18,
1784. He came to Trumbull county, Ohio, in 1833, and settled in
Weathersfield, clearing up a place now owned by John
Parks. He died in 1850, and his wife the same year.
Jonathan Folsom the subject of this sketch, was united
in marriage in 1836 to Milly A. Dunlap, by whom he has
two children living, viz: Nathan D., superintendent of
Trumbull county poor-house; O. W., a resident of Hiram.
Mrs. Folsom died August 5, 1841, and he married for his
second wife, December 16, 1841, Miss Jane Scott,
whose parents settled in Vienna township at an early date,
removing to the place now occupied by the subject of our sketch
in 1828. He died in 1863. Mrs. Folsom was born in
Vienna, March 10, 1818. Six children were born of this marriage,
of whom four are living, as follows: Cyrus B., born
November 8, 1842, a merchant of Youngstown; Emma C.,
October 20, 1844, wife of S. A. Corbin, of Warren;
Elizabeth J., January 22, 1847, wife of Lewis
H. Thayer, a merchant of Youngstown; Olive L., April
26, 1849, at home. Mr. Folsom continued to reside in
Weathersfield until 1863, having purchased the old homestead,
when he moved to Howland.
J. R. CHAMBERLAIN,
now a resident of Howland, was born in Ontario county, New York,
August 25, 1833. His family came to Ohio in 1834 and settled in
Vienna township. After passing through the course of the common
schools and Vienna academy he attended Poland academy two terms,
and then engaged in teaching for several years, teaching in
winter and farming in summer. He was married November 21, i860,
to Tryphena Hibler, daughter of Jacob
Hibler, an early settler of Hubbard township. They lived in
Vienna and Brookfield townships until 1870, when the place on
which they now reside was purchased. Both Mr. and Mrs.
Chamberlain are members of the Presbyterian church in
END OF CHAPTER.
RETURN TO TABLE