This township was
known under the surveys of the Connecticut Land company as
number five, first range, in the Connecticut Western Reserve.
It was called Hartford, after the State capital of the same
name. According to draft book, page 225, draft seven-three
was drawn by Urial Holmes and Ephraim Root.
This draft drew all of Hartford township, containing seventeen
thousand three hundred and seventeen acres of land. The
Connecticut Land company executed a deed Apr. 22, 1798, to
Root and Holmes for a consideration of $12,903.23,
being less than seventy-five cents per acre.
The township was surveyed into lots by Raphael
Cooke. It was bounded on the east by the Pennsylvania
State line; on the north by Smithfield, afterwards named
Vernon; on the west by Westfield, afterwards named Fowler;
and on the south by Brookfield.
According to Stowe's map of Trumbull county in 1800,
numbers four and five in range one and two, and also numbers
six, seven, eight and nine in range one, two, and three, were
known as Vernon.
Elections were held at Burg Hill, number five, for this
territory of Vernon, which is now divided into sixteen
townships, lying in Trumbull and Ashtabula counties.
Burg Hill, located in the north part of the township of
Hartford, may have received its name from the fact that it was
the business point and place for elections and militia musters
for many years early in the century.
The earliest records to be found show that a separate
township organization must have been in existence in 1811.
Elam Jones was elected township clerk at the April
election of that year.
Legal papers bearing date as late as 1814 were drawn in
some cases, as if the names of Vernon and Hartford were both
used to designate this township.
The deed of Holmes and Root to Titis Brockway,
drawn in 1803, in which they were reserved one acre of land for
a "green," on which to build a "meeting-house," speaks of the
township as "Hartford." In a deed of Edward Brockway
to his son Titus, drawn in 1802, the township is called
Vernon, "in the territory of the United States, northwest of the
The first deed by said Urial Holmes and
Ephraim Root was made Sept. 23, 1799, to Edward Brockway,
conveying 3,194 acres and a fraction of land, being lots seven,
eight, fifteen, sixteen, twenty-one, and twenty-two, for a
consideration of $500, being less than sixteen cents an acre.
According to tradition he exchanged his farm of two hundred
acres in Hartford, Connecticut for nearly one-fourth of the
township, and perhaps this formed a part of the consideration in
addition to the amount mentioned in the deed. A number of
others exchanged their farms for land here.
DUTCH RIDGE SETTLEMENT.
INDIAN HUNTING CAMP
OTHER EARLY SETTLERS.
The following named persons came into the township during its
early settlement, most of them probably from 1804 to 1811: Titus
Hayes, Russel Borden, Linus Hayes, Lester Hayes, Philo Borden,
Nehemiah Andrews, Davis Fuller, Horace Flower, Sylvester Borden,
Martin Gangyard, Ebenezer Chapman, Elijah Woodford, Thomas
Dugan, David Lane, Lebbeus Beach, Levi Giddings, and
EPIDEMIC OF 1813.
The epidemic which prevailed so extensively through the whole
Western country during the year 1813, visited this township, and
carried off fifteen persons, mostly elderly people, all the
deaths of the year except two or three, resulting from it.
Among the deaths are Asa Andrews, Jehiel Hulburt, Titus
Hayes, Russel Borden, and Mrs. Lucy Fitch, widow of
John Fitch, the inventor of steamboats, whose descendants
by one branch are still residing here.
HARTFORD METHODIST CHURCH.
BROCKWAY MILLS METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH.
HILL GRANGE NO. 1107.
There are three cemeteries in the township, the one at the
center being the oldest. The site was selected in 1805,
after the death of Fidelia Andrews, the land being given
by Titus Brockway. She was buried in the forest,
and her grave was surrounded by an enclosure of logs.
Among the marble headstones of later years are
scattered here and there the old brown flag and sand-stones,
which mark the early graves. On many of these the
inscriptions are rudely chiseled, and some are almost
obliterated by the hand of time. Beside them grow the
roses planted by hands long since folded to rest in other
Here lies the first pioneer, Edward Brockway,
and a large number of his descendants are also buried here.
The soldier of the Revolution and the soldier of the Rebellion
are found here, and near them lies Asahel Brainard, the
first settler, who spent the winter alone in this unbroken
forest, the only representative of this pioneer family buried in
the township. The Hon. Calvin Cone, the Hon.
Titus Brockway, Colonel William Bushnell, and the Hon.
James Beebe are among the prominent persons interred in this
old cemetery, including Captain Alexander Bushnell, Thomas
Bushnell, Titus Hayes, Edward Brockway, and Daniel
Bushnell, who were soldiers of the war of the Revolution.
Here also are buried Thomas McFarland, Davis Fuller,
Alexander Bushnell, Elijah Woodford, Selden Jones, Seth
Thompson, Hosea Mowrey, John Pfouts, Wilson Bushnell, Michael
Quiggle, Matthias Gates, S. C. Jones, Elijah Sawyer, Ambrose
Hart, Jehial Hulburt, Lester Bushnell, General Andrews Bushnell,
Archibald McFarland, and Elisha Bennett, soldiers of
the War of 1812. Also D. W. Brockway, Milo Bushnell,
Lieutenant C. C. Hart, Christopher A. Bennett, Charles Bennett,
and Lieutenant Davis Fuller, Soldiers of the
The burying ground at Burg Hill has been the burial
place of the pioneer families of Hayes, Jones, Merry, and
Hull. The first grave was that of Eliza Hayes,
daughter of Colonel Richard Hayes, who died Aug. 14,
1814. This site was afterwards presented to the township
by the Hayes family. Isaac Jones, one of the
first pioneers, William C. Jones, a pioneer and a veteran
of 1776, Colonel Richard Hayes, Lester Hayes, Luman Brockway,
and James Henry, soldiers of the War of 1812, and
Robert Mizener, a Vernon soldier of the late war, are buried
The west burying ground was given to the township by
Deacon Elihu Bates, and the first grave was that of Mrs.
Samuel Bates, in 1837. Romanta Norton, Joel Hall,
and William Bates, soldiers of 1812 and George Norton,
a soldier of the late war, are buried here. This has been
the burial place of the Bates, Leaming, Norton, Parsons,
Newman, Spencer, Mason, and Hall families, mostly
settlers of a later date. John Grocost, a soldier
of 1812, was buried on lot one, on the farm formerly owned by
At Orangeville no permanent place of burial was
selected until 1841, when Augustus Reed made a donation
of land for that purpose. Previous to this time most of
the interments were at the centre of the township, a few,
however, being made near the residence of Mr. Patton.
According to tradition early in the century a man was buried
where the shop of Mr. Davis now stands, and also two
children by the name of Totman on the south bank of the
Pymatuning east of the State line. The first interment in
the present cemetery was Ann Catherine, a daughter of
Rensselaer Root, who died June 10, 1841. John
Cassidy, Jacob Dewitt, O. S. Goodrich, William Carnes, and
A. W. Moses, soldiers of the War of 1812, are buried
here. Of the late war Harrison Allen, Caleb Leonard,
Milton Mellinger, George Wait, and a non-resident soldier by
the name of Fitzpatrick, who was killed on the railroad,
are also buried here.
ORANGEVILLE METHODIST CHURCH.
UNITED BRETHREN CHURCH.
Mrs. Chloe (Wait) Bushnell, wife of Captain Alexander
Bushnell, was born June 20, 1738, at Lyme, Connecticut, and
died here Oct. 28, 1832, the oldest person deceased in the
township during the first seventy years of its history.
Nearly thirty years before she came here with three generations
of descendants, and but for an accident might have lived
her hundred years. At the time of her death her
descendants numbered three hundred and twenty-two, four being of
the fifth generation.
Mrs. Sarah (Hyde) Jones, wife of Elam Jones
was born May 18, 1776, at West Hartland, Connecticut, and died
Aug. 30, 1870. She retained her memory in an unusual
degree, and to her more than to any one else is the writer
indebted for his data of our pioneer history. She had been
a resident of the township sixty-five years at the time of her
decease. She had, during her life, a personal acquaintance
with all of our early citizens, and her narrations of incidents
in pioneer times were full of interest. She was a daughter
of Uriah Hyde, whose family has been noted for its
Mrs. Elizabeth (Hyde) Hewitt, wife of Samuel
Hewitt, and daughter of Uriah Hyde, was born in West
Hartland, Connecticut, Jan. 4, 1772. she resided here for
many years but removed with her son, S. N. Hewitt, to
Vernon. At ninety-eight years of age she removed to Kansas
and a few months later to Fayetteville, Arkansas, where she died
July 22, 1873, being over one hundred and one years of age.
Mrs. Anna (Hyde) Hull, wife of William Hull,
and daughter of Uriah Hyde, was born Nov. 16, 1778, at
West Hartland, Connecticut, and died July 11, 1874, being in the
ninety-sixth year of her age, and at the time of her death the
oldest person ever deceased in the township.
Mrs. Lovisa (Borden) Fitch, wife of Shaler
Fitch, was born Dec. 10, 1779, and died June 6, 1871.
They emigrated to Ohio in 1804.
Mrs. Mary Kepner Pfouts, wife of John Pfouts,
was born Sept. 5, 1771, and died Jan. 9, 1864.
George W. Cassidy was born in Chester county,
Pennsylvania, Sept. 15, 1780, and died Apr. 2, 1870. He
was a soldier in the War of 1812 and lost his right arm at the
battle of Chippewa.
Mrs. Elizabeth (Allerton) Cassidy was born Apr.
5, 1785, and died June 24, 1875.
Mrs. Phebe (Bushnell) Borden, wife of Ashel
Borden, was born Aug. 2, 1784, and died Dec. 4, 1875.
She was the last of the adult pioneers to pass away.
Mrs. Catherine (Lavley) Roberts was born near
Baltimore, Maryland, Aug. 20, 1776, and died here Jan. 10, 1881,
at the residence of her son-in-law, Mr. Jacob Barnhart.
She had attained the great age of one hundred and four years,
four months, and twenty days. In 1794 she was married to
Peter Roberts, and four years, four months, and twenty
days. In 1794 she was married to Peter Roberts, and
for the almost unparalleled period of seventy-eight years they
journeyed through life together, he having reached the advanced
age of ninety-six years at the time of his death. She
always possessed a strong constitution and in her earlier years
was accustomed to doing much out-door work and boasted of having
been able to reap more wheat than any man, not excepting her
husband. She kept house and did all her own work until her
husband's death, although she was then ninety-eight years of
age. Se was the wife of a soldier of the War of 1812, and
grand-daughter of a soldier of the Revolution. She was
undoubtedly the oldest person in the county, and probably on the
Western Reserve, if not in the State.
Nathaniel Wilson, for many years a resident
here, died in his ninety-second year.
Among the old people still living in the township who
have arrived at fourscore years and over, are Mrs. Alexander
Bushnell, at the age of 87; Mrs. Seth Thompson, 85;
Lory Norton, 84; John Jones, 82; George W.
Bushnell, 82; Mrs. Isaac Leaming, 84; Edward
Bowmiller, 83; Dorothy Bowmiller, 83; Mrs. Elisha
Cannon, 82; Margaret Bear, 82; Michael Pfouts,
80; Bradford Hewitt, 82; Rebecca Craton, 81;
Mrs. Louisa Laird, 80; Mrs. Julia Bates, 80; John
Adam Sonk, 87. He was born in Bavaria May 10,
1794. In 1814 he was drafted into the German army, and
served in the second company of fusileers, Ninth regiment,
commanded by Ferdinand of Wurtemburg. He served six
years, nine months in active service, and the rest of the time
According to the census of 1880 fifty-three persons in
the township had passed their three-score and ten years.
DR. R. M.
THE BORDEN FAMILY
BUSHNELL FAMILY - Partially finished
THE JONES FAMILY
GEORGE SNYDER, SR.
PETER CARLTON was born in
Liberty township, Oct. 28, 1821. He is a grandson of
Francis Carlton, a Revolutionary soldier, who emigrated from
New Jersey in 1799, and was one of the first settlers of Warren,
Ohio, and son of Peter Carlton, a solder of the War of
1812, who was one of the boys present at Salt Springs when
Captain George was killed by McMahon, July 20, 1800.
Peter Carlton, Jr., married Miss Catherine Cauffield,
of Brookfield, in 1850, and removed to Hartford in 1857, and
settled in the south part of the township, on lot twenty-nine,
on the farm where he has since resided. Their children are
Mary B., Lizzie A., Jennie D., John B. and Bertha.
Mr. Carlton is a much respected citizen and a peaceable,
industrious farmer. He was elected justice of the peace in
1866, and has been successively re-elected four times, holding
the office fifteen years. Although he is an active worker
in the Republican party he has had the support of all parties.
He has considerable reputation as a juror, often having served
as grand, common pleas, the United States juror. He was
one of the corporators of the Harvard Academic institute.
He was the only man in the township who attended the
inauguration of President Garfield in 1881. He now
holds the office of notary public.
JAMES D. BURNETT
M. HAYES is a prosperous, enterprising young farmer,
residing on lot forty near the east line of the township in
Hartford; here he located about 1875, and married Miss Emma
Barnhart. He is a son of Almon Hayes and
grandson of Elias Hayes, late of Harrison county, Ohio,
and on his mother's side a descendant of Wilcox Akins,
one of the pioneers of Vernon, who came from Norwalk,
Connecticut, about 1810.
RETURN TO TABLE